Suddenly, The Bullpen is Fine

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 6, 2016

It’s funny how adding one guy to the bullpen can change your entire perspective. Melancon locking down the 9th? Ok, so let’s work backwards. You know, that fucking lefty reliever was actually very good in September. I’d like to think he’s not completely incompetent. If he keeps his September-ways rolling it’s not inconceivable to think the 8th inning couldn’t be handled deftly by a combo of That FLR and a healthy Derek Law. Now let’s double back to the long man just to get him out of the way and that’s probably handled by Ty Blach although I admit that’s a stretch to count on him after such a short rate of mlb success….

Now we’re really just looking at the 7th inning and I don’t see why some of the young guys CAN’T step up and cobble together some type of successful 7th inning. Okert and O(!)Shit both have dominant stuff. Kontos, Gearrin and Strickland will be there too.

All in all, not the worst bullpen I’ve ever seen. Right?

_________

Who’s up for a good conspiracy post with a dash of paranoia? Stix, take it away….

#FreeStix! RPOTD

stixwiz said, on November 22, 2013 at 6:58 pm (Edit)

Was in a basement poolhall on a grey morning in Kansas City 50 years ago today when the news came over the radio. Everyone there stood around in a state of shock. Days later i was staying with a friend in Topeka, watching the news live beamed from the courthouse in Dallas and saw the underworld figure Jack Rubenstein Ruby gun down Oswald. The fix was in.

There was almost a waiting list of people with a hard-on vs. JFK. Joint Chiefs were pissed cause he shut down their Operation Northwoods which was about killing innocent Americans so we could make war on Cuba. Both the military brass (and the WarDefense Industry were on his case cussin onaccounta he refused military backup for the CIA’s Bay of Pigs op vs Castro. Two of the ships bringing in the rebels were the Zapata and the Barbara (Zapata Energy Corporation was Daddy WarBush’s oil operation) and maybe you have heard of Barbara of he “beautiful mind” who is alleged to be the natural daughter of Aleister Crowley and all his Satanic majesty’s crawliness. Daddy WarBush was photographed as a CIA case director in Dallas that day.

The nasty old drag quean, J. Edna Hoover, who had the dirt on just about everyone who was anyone as head of the FBI was due for retirement the next year and already knew JFK would give him the axe. He was big buds, though, with LBJ. Israel didn’t like Kennedy because he did not allow them near any access to bomb plans or enriched uranium.

Biggest player, however, was the clan which owns the Federal Reserve System (note the eye above the pyramid on the $1 Fednote). JFK had signed off on Executive Order #10001 which ordered the printing of $2 United States notes backed by the silver holdings of the U.$. Treasury. LBJ, as his first act on the plane from Dallas to D.C., cancelled the E.O. and ordered the recall and destruction of the same form of currency which Abe Lincoln had authorized 100 years earlier, Constitutionally lawful government-backed banknotes.

Friend of mine who had 32 hits as a sniper in Nam as a four-tour Navy Seal got to talking with some of his cohorts a few years back. One of his pals years later checked out that 6th floor window in the Texas School Depository building and noted the odd deflection angle to fire with a bolt-action rifle to the street where the limo was proceeding. The bunch of them agreed that none of them could pull off three accurate shots in the time available with even the best of high-grade sniper rifles and scopes ~ to say nothing of a mail-order $9.95 Italian Mannlicher-Carcano.

So we know the identity of the silenced patsy and we know the identities of several interested parties. Suspects abound. The Warren Report was a smoke and mirrors coverup job. Who dun it? Maybe it was a bit of a group effort. All we know was that the hit on JFK ensured that we would get into the Vietnam War (which Kennedy was about to drop before we got in too deep) and that our country is as close to becoming a police state as Germany was in, say, 1934. JFK was in the way.

1. Flavor said, on December 6, 2016 at 6:17 am

be honest, how quickly did you whip out your wallet and scour the back of a George W? And now you feel like an idiot, right? Me too.

2. Bozo said, on December 6, 2016 at 7:16 am

Not sure I’m getting all of what Stix is talking about. The images of the eagle/shield and the pyramid/eye on the back of the $1 are the two sides of the Great Seal which I think came way before the FRB. I think he’s also talking about the change from the Silver Certificate to the Federal Reserve Note which was basically a change from silver to the gold standard (I think) but even that note had the Great Seal on the back. So I’m not getting those two together or how they tie into the plot on JFK, .

Yep, getting Melancon does seem to let the rest of the Pen fall into place, although if another team wanted Strickland…

Good to see Twin’s post on yesterday’s thread, hope he’s doing well.

3. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on December 6, 2016 at 8:03 am

* I’m not a very regimented kind of guy, but I have always believed in a clearly structured bullpen. Relievers are an odd lot, they need predictable structure to do their job, their minds (yes, baseball is played a LOT in the head, not just physically) need to know their role and then their bodies follow and they perform. Like it or not, psychologically if not always statistically, *the closer* does anchor the ‘pen, from the top down. It’s what was needed this past season, and it’s what sunk the team in the end. No excitement for a signing that is very key, perhaps only because we all knew this had to happen, and so it did.

* Yeah, Craig, you’re probably right, might not need any other additions to the ‘pen. Improvement comes in the ‘pen in the way of addition by subtraction. For the past 7 years, loved watching Lopez, Romo, Casilla (especially his running to 1st after actually hitting the ball as an actual batter and hurting himself doing so…)… 3 rings, man. Time for them to go, and time for Bochy and Rags to line up the bullpen. Quite likely the arms are there already, they just all need a role now.

* Stix…. I was actually never quite as enamored of all of his writing as most here were.. I found his post-game posts to be painfully poetic, so I stopped reading those. But posts like the last thread I think it was? When he’s talking about … life. Great stuff. This one, a bit over the top, might’ve been a cold night and the pussies weren’t fully warming the bed, but still the working of an active mind. And I must say, at the very end, when talking about JFK, IMO Stix did finally nail it about why Kennedy was killed (the industrial military complex wanting the war in Vietnam to continue indefinitely, while Kennedy saw a very short war), so, maybe I’ve heard some of the same voices he did… 🙂

* The dollar bill images with connections to the Masons, etc. are fairly interesting…

* Steve is, by my calculations in this Saigon night, still enroute back to the US, probably over the Pacific heading to Denver. I’ll be doing a similarly painful trip 10 days from now, visiting the family in Joisey at Christmas for the 1st time since ’04. And yes, good to see you here, Michael.

4. willedav said, on December 6, 2016 at 8:12 am

Well, Kennedy had no qualms about US positioning themselves behind Catholic elite ruler family Thieu and Ky.
    I highly doubt they would have ever given in and settled with Ho and the North; CIA dead set against Communism etc. and warned Ike off negotiating with Ho back in the ’50s after he kicked French out.

Funny Stix doesn’t mention Mafia in all this—they lost big time when Bautista was overthrown/Castro closed casinos. They had been big help getting Kennedy elected over Nixon and then he turned his back on them, instead siccing RFK on Teamsters and bagman Hoffa. I’ve always thought they were involved, along with rogue elements from CIA.

5. willedav said, on December 6, 2016 at 8:21 am

It would be nice to get one more piece for the pen if Evans is serious about not going after OF help.
    I’m not a big Kontos fan, Gearrin sucks and Blach belongs in the rotation not sitting on his butt with sunflower seeds in the pen. If you’re talking about Strick Osich Law Okert behind Melancon and the FLR that’s a lot of guys without much experience.

Btw, I was thinking about everyone’s preference for flamethrowers. Doesn’t it follow that with so many of them around today, guys coming up in minors see them all the time? Since you can’t make it to mlb without being able to hit a fastball, haven’t hitters adjusted and gotten used to high 90s heat?

You gotta have more, like late movement/ability to change speeds and command of another pitch or two.

6. mrsprtdude said, on December 6, 2016 at 8:35 am

Hitters have adjusted to the higher speeds. Flamethrowers still need another pitch. Strick can hit 99 often. With the pressure on that’s all he throws. If he had a very good slider he would be the closer already imo…

7. Flavor said, on December 6, 2016 at 8:43 am

I’ll be honest, I never really read too much of Stix posts in real time. They were long and maybe I have a little ADD so I did lots of skimming. Now that I’m reading them I can appreciate them. And man, there is some weird shit in some of them. But I don’t take any of it too seriously (obviously). It’s good entertainment for me.
    And I just saw that TWINNER made a grand appearance on the last thread. I’m not gonna lie, I was really happy to see him post here. I hope you make it more than a yearly thing, Twin! Flappers far and wide were really worried about you.
    Also, if you are reading this I would like your take on:
    1) The state of the Niners
    2) Colin Kaepernick
    3) an outfield platoon of Mac/Park
    4) All this Stix Biz and if you don’t know about it boy do we have a fun story for you.

• twinfan1 said, on December 6, 2016 at 3:36 pm

I’m not as down on CK as many are. He had 4 pretty good games before the stinker in the snow. And I put more of that on Kelly. I don’t give a shit if the game is in the North Pole. 5 passes? Ridiculous . Didn’t we have a game manager a few years ago? Jones, Smith, James? Something like that. Oh, that’s right, he’s doing his thing in KC.And doing it quite well.
      But bottom line- they might try stopping somebody..
      Mac/Parker- I’m fine with that but I’d pick up a GOOD reserve catcher- they’re out there, and put Belt in LF when Buster gets his days at 1st base.
      As for Merna and me- we’re OK. The doc wanted me to get a hip transplant but I’m just not down for another surgery. I’m just taking pain meds and chugging along. The good news- in January it will be 5 years tumor-free. And the NHL has been in remission for about that time. Merna’s eyesight is getting worse, might get cataract surgery
      Still miss Mickey and Zeke, we always will.

8. willedav said, on December 6, 2016 at 8:45 am

Looks like Pablo is back in the 3b mix for Sox and not going anywhere. They just traded away the Shaw kid and prospects for Brewer’s set up guy.
    Cool that real trades and player movement finally starting to happen. Evans cannot be done tho.
    LA can have Rich Hill for $48 mil, lol. Wonder what over/under is on how many starts he makes in 3 yrs of deal.

9. unca_chuck said, on December 6, 2016 at 9:15 am

Jason Schmidt numbers likely. 3 starts?

10. willedav said, on December 6, 2016 at 9:47 am

Niners are just hopeless and years away from contending with seachickens (ugh).
    Kap, still not an accurate pocket passer on dry land, likely goes elsewhere to avoid more years pulling himself out of rubble of the train wreck. Probably lot healthier for him too. Niners can lose just as easily without him.
    Wherever city he goes to tho, he can expect to encounter a LOT of fans that don’t like him…even if teammates respect him.

Alex Smith meanwhile can upset Raider’s applecart if his Chiefs can win Thursday. They’d be even in W/L but hold tiebreaker by sweeping series head to head and make Oak play WC. Oak still has to play at Denver too.

11. sandog said, on December 6, 2016 at 10:07 am

When it comes to Stix Post’s I was also a skimmer. Even on these “Stix Greatest Hits” posts, I often have a tough time hanging in there for the full post—today being a prime example. His mashed potatoes recipe post though—I read that one completely and I think I even asked him to share it again—and I believe he did so. I have it printed out somewhere and I am going to do my best to find it this week and share that gem.

I love the Melancon signing. I have been through many off seasons with the Giants where a glaring need was not properly addressed, so to see them get this done is great stuff in my book. I would like to see a Trumbo/Chris Carter type hitter in left field for us, but I am not totally against the MacParker platoon. If that is the plan, I simply ask that Bochy gives those guys some rope to work though their rough patches and doesn’t mix in Blanco or similar type guys anytime they go 2 games without a hit.
    And of course, I am still totally down with Span in CF. If he can hit .266 again this year I will be fine with that.

12. Flavor said, on December 6, 2016 at 10:12 am

Here’s my #1 issue with Jed York. He doesn’t talk publicly anymore but when he did he would constantly reference his “uncle” and all the great talks they would have and guidance he would provide. That was utter horse shit designed to distract the Niner faithful from chasing him with pitchforks. There’s no way Eddie D would have signed off on all these stupid decisions and in fact the FIRST thing EddieD would have told him would have been to build a team of competent FOOTBALL people. Jed has never done this. If Jed speaks publicly again and I have to hear about all of these grand talks he’s having with “his uncle” I’m gonna puke. EddieD never mentioned Jed one time in his HOF speech by the way.
    I don’t doubt Jed and Eddie speak. I just don’t think for a second that Jed does anything EddieD recommends.

• sfsarge said, on December 6, 2016 at 10:34 am

I listened to an interview of Eddie D on KNBR a couple of weeks ago and he said he doesn’t really talk to Jed much anymore. My hunch is that after he got the stadium done he got waaay to big headed and stopped listening to anything at all. If there was much before then.

• Flavor said, on December 6, 2016 at 10:36 am

yes. The stadium getting done definitely fucked Jed up in the head. Hubris, it’s a bad thing especially when you start thinking you can do anything.

13. chipower9 said, on December 6, 2016 at 10:34 am

First the easy stuff. Melancon – love it. And as I have mentioned almost daily, I would have preferred Jensen, but am good with Melancon. He has the opt-out after two years…all good. I am not sure we need another bullpen arm out the gate. IMO, that can be sorted-out in ST, and it is more important to set the expectation for LF. If it is to be MacParker – that is fine, but as SanDiggity says, you have to give them a long rope and a true chance to succeed. My preference is to still add a guy like a JD Martinez, etc. I have little hope that a deal can/will be swung for McC (I have heard Pirates want Law and Panik). Law I could part with, but not both of those guys.

RE: Stix, I too am principally a skimmer. He and I have had some lengthy discussions off-line on the whole conspiracy theory thing…interesting stuff regardless of how much you believe (or not).

On that note, I think I mentioned a few weeks back that I dropped Stix a line, and also included that day’s thread. I got a letter from Stix yesterday. Lengthy – eight hand-written pages. He covers how the whole gig went down that day with the chopper, and how he reacted, and why he reacted as he did, etc. (almost four of the eight pages before he pivots to baseball. I have only read the letter once (last night when I got home, but need to go back and read it again). I can check with him if he wants any of this shared, and also want to know from Flav how much (if any) he wants discussed here.

I can tell you that he misses his freedom and following baseball. He has no internet access, so he is really hoping for updates on what is happening. I will sit down tonight, re-read his letter, and then write back. I plan to bring him up to speed on what is happening with the Giants, etc.

He did mention that he was hauled-off to Duluth for a hearing and while there for a couple of days he had access to the boob-toob, and got to see MadBum shut-down Thor and the Mutts. He mentioned that too bad that Chitown’s #1 was just a tad better than Cueto. He says they get the Minneapolis Star-Tribune for print news, and again…no internet access. There are 2 TVs in the day room but he says those are dominated by football news and “pop-kulch” game show shenanigans. So he is STARVING for baseball news.

Anyway, just wanted to give you all an update.

~73 daze until pitchers and catchers report…cannot wait to hear “PLAY BALL!”

If anyone would like to write Stix, I can provide the address, again.

• Flavor said, on December 6, 2016 at 10:38 am

I don’t think I’ve written anyone a letter in at least 15 years. But if you provide an addy I will write him one. Probably makes a guy’s day in prison to get a letter.

• chipower9 said, on December 6, 2016 at 10:44 am

I used the analogy of when I was in Saudi for almost four month. Mail was KING! I am sure he would LOVE a letter from you, Flav. I will shoot you an email with his address.

• blade3colorado said, on December 6, 2016 at 5:24 pm

14. unca_chuck said, on December 6, 2016 at 10:36 am

Yeah, Kappy can stand on his head for the natl anthem. I could give 2 fucks. He s a shitty QB, then again have you seen Cutler? Or Filzpatrick? Osweiler? The league is full of shitty QBs.

The glaring problem with this team is the talent drain since Scott McCloughan left abruptly right before the 2010 draft. Since Baalke took aver the reins he has done well to gather draft picks over the years. However he has squandered most of them.

He ignores team holes and either drafts the ‘best player available’ (usually not) or gambles with a guy coming off a knee injury who may have been rated high before getting hurt. He drafted a shitty punter in the 5th round a couple years ago for Gods sake.

We have 0 QBs signed to play next year. We have no WRs. An RB that is hurt too much. The line is not too bad so we SHOULD be able to get rolling fairly quick provided webmail the next draft and the. The next one. Without Baalke.

15. chipower9 said, on December 6, 2016 at 10:46 am

Just went back and caught-up on yesterday’s thread. GREAT to see Twin with one of his witty-ass comments on Melancon competing for a BP job. Classic Twin.

Michael – if you are reading this, I hope you and Merna are well, and that we see you here more often. Many folks (myself included) have wondered about you. Truly hope you are well my friend. Blessings to you and yours.

• pawliekokonuts said, on December 6, 2016 at 11:14 am

AMEN TO THAT

• twinfan1 said, on December 6, 2016 at 4:24 pm

Not dead. I just checked…
      We’re doing OK, Chi. Nothing dire for a change, just gettin’ old kind of stuff. It pretty much sucks when pretty women call you”dearie”.

16. pawliekokonuts said, on December 6, 2016 at 11:13 am

Stix missed his calling. Could’ve made buckets of money churning out paranoia for a fake news site.

Chris Sale to — wait for it — the RED SOX.

• Flavor said, on December 6, 2016 at 11:31 am

good deal for both teams, IMO

• willedav said, on December 6, 2016 at 11:40 am

maybe that means Nats go all in on Jansen which would be way cool since LA already nixed one deal with Chapman.

17. gianthead said, on December 6, 2016 at 11:37 am

The Sale deal is very interesting. The got the one guy everyone wanted and who the Red Sox did not want to give up in Monaco, but not overly impressed by the rest of the package.

Which begs the question, what do the White Sox ask for Frazier and then Eaton separately? Can the Giants put together a package for either? I am still no on Black, Panik and Arroyo. Especially for someone with just a year left like Frazier. But Frazier does play that slugger role well and we could then move Nunez to left (or does he go in a deal to give the White Sox an IF starter?). Would you move Arroyo and a package for a Frazier/Eaton combo??? Wow, that would be tough to say no…

• chipower9 said, on December 6, 2016 at 12:14 pm

Nunez has less than 30 games played in the OF…less than 20 starts. His fielding % (and I know that is not the be-all-to-end-all number) is awful. I don’t see moving him to the OF as a part of the solution. I think he is best served staying at 3rd until Arroyo is ready (2017?)…

• twinfan1 said, on December 6, 2016 at 3:47 pm

Bronson Arroyo at third base?

18. gianthead said, on December 6, 2016 at 11:41 am

Oh yeah forgot to note that the Fodgers of all teams are talking to the White Sox about Frazier!!! Does that mean another team (could it be the Gigantes????) is hot on Turner.

Would the Giants spend $20 mill a year on Turner. I would be shocked shocked. He seems such a Fodger and not a Gigante. I hope Sabean and team are at least trying to drive the price up for Turner as well as Frazier…what are everyone’s thoughts on a move for third and what would people give up for Frazier and maybe Eaton separately…

• gianthead said, on December 6, 2016 at 11:54 am

And for info…Frazier is in his arb year maybe gets $10 mill this year and Eaton at $4 mill. So two combined roughly would be JD Martinez’ contract for 2017. Eaton has a fairly reasonable deal going through $9.5 and $10.5 mill club options for 2020 and 2021. So you would get 3 years of Eaton locked at less that what Span is going to get over the next two years.

19. Flavor said, on December 6, 2016 at 11:43 am

I can’t stand Turner but I kinda want the Giants to sign him just to get a Reggie Smith thing going again in SF

• gianthead said, on December 6, 2016 at 11:55 am

I am with you on not standing him…Cantstandya…but also F the Fodgers…

20. willedav said, on December 6, 2016 at 12:07 pm

Picked up Walton’s bio at lib last night, good read so far.
    All sports books have a photo section in middle so I went there first. On op page (he’s just signed with Blazers out of UCLA) here’s his take on Portland:

“I was also totally unprepared for the weather, which was unlike anything I’d ever seen.
    After San Diego, I thought UCLA was cold, damp, wet, and foggy. In Oregon I was fully convinced that the sun had burned out and life as we knew it was rapidly coming to an end.”

21. zumiee said, on December 6, 2016 at 12:08 pm

I like Stix, but I’m coming to the conclusion that I’m probably the least Stixian fan here. The retro post today is everything I despise about conspiracy theories. Theories that multiply like mushrooms. Hey, just throw in whatever else you want to throw in. Aliens beamed themselves into Dallas that day, whatever.
    Until strong evidence proves otherwise, I’m an “Oswald was the lone gunman” believer. Ruby acted out of wrong-headed patriotic revenge. The police in those days, and the secret service, just weren’t all that good in protecting people. Ruby got close to Oswald’s transfer point because the police knew Ruby from the strip-club that he owned, that some of them frequented.
    The truth, in history, is often more mundane than we’d like to believe. And assassins are disturbed soles who want to impact history, and make their name last in infamy. Oswald, Chapman, Hinkley, Booth. Yeah, we do remember their names, unfortunately.

• xoot said, on December 6, 2016 at 12:27 pm

I suppose the demonstrative exhibits in Seinfeld’s Magic Loogy episode support the lone gunman theory. Still, I wonder. And I stand by my support of Stix. I wish the best for him. I’m a bit surprised he’s writing about the case. The government brief I quoted last week seemed to indicate that the government has been reading Stix’s outgoing mail. I guess the government can read all incoming or outgoing inmate mail, unless it’s privileged atty-client communication.

• xoot said, on December 6, 2016 at 12:33 pm

or maybe I have that backwards. Maybe the ML demonstratives call the lone gunman theory into question.

• gianthead said, on December 6, 2016 at 12:39 pm

Just my opinion Zum and agree with you on run of the mill crackpot conspiracy theories. But have you been to Dallas and Dealey Plaza? I did for the first time about 3 years ago. Seeing how everything is laid out and if Oswald (who I think was involved and was likely at least one of the shooters) is the sole gunman, he would have taken the easier shot with the limo heading straight for him and the book depository building. He would have had the all time easiesr kill shot in history. But instead he waited for the car to make a turn and start driving away from him. I think Stix’ reference to speaking to others who may have had some shooting/military experience, I think is a fair topic of whether that shot can be made. Maybe it can but all I think it is a less reliable shot than JFK sitting up in an open convertible in the back seat as the limo is heading straight for you at a slow speed. Oswald waited…why? IMO they were waiting for the limo to get into a kill zone from three angles…you have the magic bullet to defend otherwise…(I’ve recently seen a new theory that the 3rd and 4th shots were nearly instantaneous and why his body then moves the way it does and the audio has what seems like two shots on top not each other…

And sorry Jack Ruby with obvious mob ties (never investigated by the Warren Commission) and who dies as well suspiciously in prison is just too dirty to have just wanted to protect Jackie Kennedy…I don’t believe the conspiracy that this was a govt conspiracy involving CIA, DoD, Nixon, LBJ and Bush to stop JFK from pulling out of Vietnam. I think the mob was pissed about Cuba and the mob investigations and wanted revenge.

• gianthead said, on December 6, 2016 at 12:42 pm

Exactly xoot…explain the magic loogy!!!

• xoot said, on December 6, 2016 at 12:54 pm

I can’t explain it. Deflection off of Keith Hernandez somehow accelerated the projectile? I also don’t understand how Churchill knew back in 1939 that the whole thing was a mystery wrapped in a riddle inside an enigma.

• gianthead said, on December 6, 2016 at 1:01 pm

Speaking of which as I am sick at home, season 2 of Hunting Hitler is back on the History Channel…

22. gianthead said, on December 6, 2016 at 12:22 pm

Flav, is there an easy way to post a poll? Or Flappers can just respond. Would be something like what should the Giants do next:

A) trade for JD Martinez
    B) sign Justin Turner
    C) trade for Todd Frazier
    C) trade for Andrew McCutchen
    D) add one more bullpen arm
    E) do nothing.

Adding Martinez or McCutchen gets payroll to about $185 mill, signing Turner probably pushes things to $190 mill and just Frazier maybe $180-$181 mill.

• Bozo said, on December 6, 2016 at 12:54 pm

From the SJ Mercury – “Even as it stands, the Giants anticipate that their 40-man payroll will put them above the $195 million threshold, which means their in the luxury tax territory. They’ll be taxed 50 percent for any money spent above $195 million.”

But to answer your quiz – A. or C. (I’m a big McCutchen fan so I lean that way) and D. via trade.

• twinfan1 said, on December 6, 2016 at 8:35 pm

How are ya doing ,you big clown? Good to see you.

• Flavor said, on December 6, 2016 at 12:59 pm

i can do that in tomorrow’s thread. You have to go back to the old wordpress version to do that

• gianthead said, on December 6, 2016 at 1:03 pm

Oh yeah forgot about the change…

• xoot said, on December 6, 2016 at 1:00 pm

I saw something the other day about benefits (medical, et al) factoring into the luxury tax tally. The payroll numbers on Cot’s don’t tell the whole story, apparently. The Giants now have blown by the threshold three years in a row. I’d say they’re spending a lot of the money they’re raking in.

• gianthead said, on December 6, 2016 at 1:02 pm

Yeah I screwed that up with adding Frazier to the choices…

• xoot said, on December 6, 2016 at 1:10 pm

According to Cot’s the definition of “payroll” for luxury tax purposes is (and for years has been) this: “Payrolls are for 40-man rosters and include averages of multiyear contracts; health and pension benefits; clubs medical costs; insurance; workman’s compensation, payroll, unemployment and Social Security taxes; spring training allowances; meal and tip money; All-Star game expenses; travel and moving expenses; postseason pay; and college scholarships.”

23. willedav said, on December 6, 2016 at 12:58 pm

GH, I’d be down with any 2 of A B and D. Not into Frazier skeptical of Cutch being a $14 mil player E not an option as LA will make moves, possibly big ones. Losing Turner would hurt their LU (already sucks vs. LHP which Giants have with Bum and Moore) a lot.

24. Bozo said, on December 6, 2016 at 1:06 pm

Is anyone FB friends with stix? I was just wondering if anyone has seen photos of his cabin or property, just a curiosity thing on my part.

Also, what about getting him a subscription to some baseball magazines or even the Merc and/or Chronicle?

• chipower9 said, on December 6, 2016 at 2:57 pm

I am friends with him on FB, but he has never posted any photos…

• chipower9 said, on December 6, 2016 at 2:58 pm

Per his public defender, he can receive “photocopied material” via mail, and outside of that, only softcopy books via Amazon. Nothing else.

25. alleykat69 said, on December 6, 2016 at 2:04 pm

Maybe even Gun Digest,are Guns&Gardens since he likes plants of all types..

26. unca_chuck said, on December 6, 2016 at 2:09 pm

Great to hear from you, Twin!

• twinfan1 said, on December 6, 2016 at 4:13 pm

Thanks. Just stopping by to be a wise ass.
      Looking forward to Thursday’s game. Carr is a great young QB but he had trouble when they flushed him out of the pocket in the first game. Without Houston, I believe. And with Maclin back to go along with Kelce and Hill, Alex has three big time playmakers to go to. Should be awesome, maybe the match up of the year. Whoever holds onto the ball wins the game. 30-27 KC. What’s your take?

27. unca_chuck said, on December 6, 2016 at 2:10 pm

Yeah a and d…

28. chipower9 said, on December 6, 2016 at 2:59 pm

A or F (trade for a LFer not named Martinez or McCutchen).

• twinfan1 said, on December 6, 2016 at 3:57 pm

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y or maybe Z

29. zumiee said, on December 6, 2016 at 3:22 pm

“He would have had the all time easiest kill shot in history. But instead he waited for the car to make a turn and start driving away from him.”

The answer could just as easily be something mundane. He sneezed and had to re-aim, or he had a brief moment of hesitation about whether he should do it, or a reflection glared in his eye.

” the 3rd and 4th shots were nearly instantaneous”

I disagree that there was a 4th shot.
    Maybe Oswald had to get lucky to get off those 3 shots in the amount of time, connecting on 2. But we’ve all seen lucky plays in sports. Someone makes a full-court shot in basketball, or a hail mary touchdown in football. Oswald was a trained sniper, and the 3 shots are possible.
    I know that many disagree with that.

30. wilcojoe said, on December 6, 2016 at 3:27 pm

Great to hear from Twin. Not to be morbid, but based on his lack of presence here and his not responding to Flav’s emails, I really thought he had passed.

Awesome that you got to hear back from Stix, Chi! I am sure that letter of yours made his year.

• twinfan1 said, on December 6, 2016 at 3:55 pm

I won’t die until the Cubs win the World Series. They did? This year? I guess that I’ll have to hold on until the Indians win one.

31. unca_chuck said, on December 6, 2016 at 4:01 pm

As far as the BP goes it’s more the subtraction to me.

32. blade3colorado said, on December 6, 2016 at 5:25 pm

If Stix and Flav gives the ok – I’m down with all 8 pages verbatim on the Flap!!!!! I would love to read that bad boy tale.

Twin, it’s good to hear you’re well. Also, down with everything you said regarding Smith (I hated to see him go) and dollars to donuts, so are the Niners now. Also, down with what you said about a good reserve catcher. I hope it doesn’t happen, but I’m betting there will be a noticeable drop off in Buster’s offensive numbers if he plays the majority of games at catcher. I’m meh on Melancholy until further notice. Again, I hope it doesn’t happen, but I see him doing a combo Bell/Wilson face plant after being paid. I know what he got is the going rate, but for me – the best way to develop or choose a closer, is by going in-house. I definitely think we should have done that, if we weren’t going to get a Jansen or Miller. That’s just me though.

• twinfan1 said, on December 6, 2016 at 8:07 pm

Good to see you ,too. All of you guys. Haven’t been up to much. Just trying to take care of my little family .One kitten did get rescued last year and she has a pal. Rosie and Jimmie.
      Hope you and yours are well.

33. Flavor said, on December 6, 2016 at 5:30 pm

Steve– how long you here before you head back to Vietnam for good?

• blade3colorado said, on December 6, 2016 at 6:34 pm

Late January or early February. Linh and her family want me back at the Lunar New Year (Jan. 28), but I have no idea if that is nearly enough time for things I have to get done here and in Hawaii (a good friend wants me to officiate his wedding. Hilarious. I am not an ordained minister – he wants me to get an online certification or blessing or whatever they call it).

Vietnam for good? Again, dunno. I can see this easily being a 2 year transition, e.g., I have to sell my stuff and condo. I just got off the phone with my mom and she said that she will cry every day that I am gone. Gulp. Her, everyone else, and even a lot of Linh’s girl friends and relatives don’t know why she does not want to move to the USA. Basically, it comes down to 4 things – She loves Vietnam (her country), her family, her friends, and her two businesses. Anyway, much to do.

• Flavor said, on December 6, 2016 at 7:01 pm

wow, I can’t imagine all the stuff you have to get done.

• blade3colorado said, on December 6, 2016 at 7:09 pm

Yeah, but am not going to sweat it. This is supposed to be a happy time for us. It’s amazing Craig how I almost seemed like a willing (and happy) passenger for everything that has occurred – got married, gained two kids – Linh’s 2 year old and one on the way, and moving to Vietnam.

In many ways, this is similar to my last 2 years as a government employee, except in a bad way back than – I became a whistle blower against my supervisor; managers – despite knowing she was an idiot – circled the wagons around her; making my life so untenable, that I was paid 6 figures to stay at home for a year; winning the case after 4 appeals; and than retiring early.

For whatever reason, change doesn’t really phase (sp?) me.

34. Flavor said, on December 6, 2016 at 5:48 pm

i wrote Stix a letter today. Two pages. I bluntly told him not to expect me to be a pen pal. But I encourage you guys to write him too. He’s a little nutty but he’s still stuck in the slammer and it’s the Holiday season so why not make someone smile in between potato peeling sessions?

35. zumiee said, on December 6, 2016 at 6:25 pm

I was pretty surprised to see that the Red Sox had traded Moncada. He was getting hype as the second-coming of a young Alex Rodriguez. Chris Sale is very good; but I still find that uniform-cutting episode to be pretty weird. This could be a great trade for both teams. The White Sox get an exciting prospect, and can allow Sale to have a change of scenery that might benefit him a lot.

36. pawliekokonuts said, on December 6, 2016 at 7:27 pm

I’m not one to lionize Stix, not in the least. In fact I don’t understand the Stix Lionization Project here. Anyone who blithely believes that Sandy Hook was a “false flag,” a black ops subterfuge, who denies the murder of those innocents — well, count me out, girls. (He once sent me a link purporting such obscenity. That was it for me.) That’s all I’ll say on the subject.

• blade3colorado said, on December 6, 2016 at 7:47 pm

Great point Pawlie. I am not going to pile on Stix, but I also had to tell him to cease and desist regarding the numerous conspiracy links he sent me daily, and at first, almost hourly.

Interestingly enough, I met this expat named Mike in Saigon recently and after the election, I asked him if he was disappointed in Trump being elected? He went off on Hillary, calling her a murderer and money grubbing bitch. However, that was nothing compared to what he said about her “Spirit cooking” rituals, which refers to “a sacrament in the religion of Thelema which was founded by Aleister Crowley” and involves an occult performance during which menstrual blood, breast milk, urine and sperm are used to create a “painting.” Apparently, John Podesta is involved as well.

WTF? I asked him if he was serious? He said he was . . . I asked him to cite a fact check site which would confirm what he said, but other than Wikileaks, he couldn’t name a legitimate web site which backed up what he said. He kept going on and on and I finally told him to shut the fuck up and our friendship was ended right then and there. He apologized a few days later (albeit, only for upsetting me). I kept my distance after that.

Sheesh, after I met this clown, I had a totally different take on how Trump was able to get such large masses of people to vote for him, i.e., I had been underestimating the number of idiots on this ball, especially in the USA.

• Macdog said, on December 6, 2016 at 8:09 pm

That makes two Aleister Crowley references today on the Flap. I’m sure Jimmy Page would approve.

• blade3colorado said, on December 6, 2016 at 8:11 pm

Seriously Mac? Without scrolling through today’s posts, who and what time?

• Macdog said, on December 6, 2016 at 8:12 pm

First reference is in the #FreeStix! RPOTD.

• blade3colorado said, on December 6, 2016 at 8:23 pm

Well, I guess this proves 2 things: 1. I don’t read all of Stix’s posts either; and, 2. Nor do I read his #FreeStix! RPOTDs completely either.

37. twinfan1 said, on December 6, 2016 at 8:20 pm

We have a root cellar, perfect for using as a bomb shelter. I can envision Trump late at night, harboring dark thoughts, taking selfies, tweeting “Putie”, a red button on the night table..

• twinfan1 said, on December 6, 2016 at 8:26 pm

I should reload the page before I comment.That was for Blade re: Trump.

• djloo27 said, on December 6, 2016 at 8:34 pm

Sure is great to see you here, Twin…

• Flavor said, on December 6, 2016 at 8:38 pm

agreed. You have been missed Twin. Now what do you think about all this StixStuff?

• twinfan1 said, on December 6, 2016 at 9:08 pm

Am I missing something? I can only reply to my reply.. anyway, I don’t post too much anywhere . Bad fingers, can’t even flip the bird anymore. Bummer. Stix? Made me think of Ted Kaczynski. Cooking up bad shit deep in the woods.
        You know that all of you will be dear to me always, take care.

• willedav said, on December 6, 2016 at 8:45 pm

Scary funny that Ryan says, “Who cares what he tweets?”
      Um, he’s the POTUS, not Selena Gomez.

You’re sharp as ever Twin, take care.
      Any insights what happened to Baggs Blog? Good read over there, too bad it got cancelled out.

38. zumiee said, on December 6, 2016 at 8:26 pm

The prolific Rick Barry has a son playing for the Univ. of Florida. They’re in a game vs. Duke tonight, who I can’t stand, for some reason. I can’t remember why. It’s like the two feuding families in “Huck Finn,” who can no longer remember why they’re feuding.

• Macdog said, on December 6, 2016 at 8:31 pm

I have little problem finding a reason to dislike Duke.

• pawliekokonuts said, on December 6, 2016 at 8:38 pm

same here…..they’re not in high favor among SU fans, so I guess I soak in the local vibe…..Blade, YOIKES, that was some post at 7:47. We live in a post-truth, post-fact era.

• willedav said, on December 6, 2016 at 8:37 pm

mm I’d say Duke leads all colleges combined in annoying players, tho maybe less so lately but the best ones don’t stick around to spend more time with Coach K.
      I have to give credit to one I never cared for, J J Redick of Clips, for working hard enough to make himself into legit NBA starter.

39. Flavor said, on December 6, 2016 at 8:37 pm

Stix never really bothered me with any of that stuff and even if he had I probably would have just chalked it up to a crazy guy who got a little overwhelmed by the internet and all the nonsense it has to offer. It happens. But, he was a legit Giants fan and a true Flapper4Lyfe so I can block out the rest of that stuff and feel bad for his current situation. Plus, he’s stuck in jail probably for the rest of his life. He might just have a different perspective on a lot of this stuff.
    Plus, in my opinion, his posts have been, by and large, fun for me to read and repost here. Every off season I find something to entertain myself with, keep the blog going for the Winter, and this year it was StixShit. It’s too bad we are missing his winter posts while he’s stuck in the clink. Those were by far his best.
    I don’t fault anyone who doesn’t want to have anything to do with this though. I see your point…..

40. djloo27 said, on December 6, 2016 at 8:37 pm

The late Vincent Bugliosi firmly believes that the evidence proves Oswald was the lone shooter and that Ruby acted alone. I would rather agree with an expert than dream up my own stupid theory…

• pawliekokonuts said, on December 6, 2016 at 8:42 pm

didn’t he write Helter Skelter? The author was on Carson and described how the Manson crew would fuck up people’s heads by going into a house and move furniture a few inches or move a tooth brush. Think about it. You’d start doubting your sanity. I think they did all that before they murdered them.

• sandog said, on December 6, 2016 at 8:56 pm

I think Vincent Bugliosi was the guy who used to play piano and did those public service commercials reminding you to fill out a change of address form with the post office when you moved…

• djloo27 said, on December 6, 2016 at 8:58 pm

Yes, Pawlie. They referred to them as “creepy crawly” missions or something…

41. Flavor said, on December 6, 2016 at 8:42 pm

Twin, if you don’t know the backstory, here it is. Last Aug the posts from Stix stopped abruptly, I did an internet search of him and it turned out he was arrested for shooting at a Fed helicopter (and hitting it) that was buzzing his property looking for weed fields that he was apparently illegally growing. The police report alone is worth the read and his mugshot is one of the greatest of all time. Anyway, XOOT has kept us up to date with all public info he can access online and Stix is still stuck in jail awaiting trial. Chi wrote him a letter and got back an 8 page response. San Dawg gave me the idea to do a #FreeStix! RPOTD this winter. I have had fun with it.
    If you google Carstie Clausen you can read more about it and see that epic-ass mugshot.

• twinfan1 said, on December 6, 2016 at 9:28 pm

Thanks for the warning.
      I guess that he won’t be Santa Claus at Macy’s this year.

42. Flavor said, on December 6, 2016 at 8:46 pm

I’m not a conspiracy theory guy. I did some research on all the 9/11 stuff and determined it was all nonsense.

43. sandog said, on December 6, 2016 at 8:52 pm

Rick Barry still has kids playing college ball??? That’s loco. I played against one of his kids in a high school tournament 35 years ago. Prolific is right–and not just on the basketball court— which is probably what Zum was referring to in the first place.
    FYI I like to get a rise out of people by claiming Rick Barry was better than Larry Bird and is one of The five best players in the history of the NBA. I actually might even believe that.

Blade….. I was the officiant for the daughter of one of my college buddies from SDSU a while back. It was a hoot. “Padre Pedro” they called me. I made a drunken claim at a party saying I would do it and they held me to it.

• willedav said, on December 6, 2016 at 9:03 pm

“prolific”, yeah. Brent Barry I think does commentary on NBATV and the other one (Jon?) has been out of the league for a while too.
      Btw, this one, named Canyon, shoots his FTs underhanded, and is hitting 82% of them.

In his first go round with Warriors, Barry could do it all including rebound. After that, he became most interested in scoring and being annoying, both of which he excelled at for long time.

• blade3colorado said, on December 6, 2016 at 9:26 pm

Fantastic! Looks like I will be able to do the same via this bogus church in Modesto, California.

• snarkk said, on December 6, 2016 at 10:25 pm

Barry’s kid in college is by his younger, third wife…

44. djloo27 said, on December 6, 2016 at 9:03 pm

I wouldn’t get twisted over Stix’ nuttiness…

• zumiee said, on December 6, 2016 at 9:28 pm

There’s a lot of theories about the assassination of Mayor McCheese….

• blade3colorado said, on December 6, 2016 at 10:01 pm

Wow! I guess I could say that was tasteless, but hamburger aficionados would argue that I am wrong. 🙂

45. blade3colorado said, on December 6, 2016 at 9:24 pm

I’ve had about 2 hours sleep in the last two days (just returned from SE Asia) and I’ve talked to 3 people this evening on the phone where I could barely put two coherent sentences together . . .

However, for whatever reason – I have been able to book a great deal of a flight for next week via Southwest Airlines points; found the Universal Life Church web site, which had a fantastic $39.99 Ordination certification (see below); and, have been able to string a few sentences together on some posts at the Flap. Wow!

46. pawliekokonuts said, on December 6, 2016 at 9:51 pm

weird how Twin and I made the same Stix-Kaczinski putative connection

47. James said, on December 6, 2016 at 10:28 pm

Good to hear from you, TF. Just retired the PC you sent me a while back. I held on to the screen saver pics with all the pre-championship heroes, which included one of Bengie rounding the bags on an HR.

48. mrsprtdude said, on December 6, 2016 at 11:07 pm

Hi Michael..i am still using the PC I won in the playoff contest in 2010!! Glad you are hanging in!!