Good Times From The Archives

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 7, 2016

Now that Melancon is locked up and the Giants have have decided to open up the Palo Alto version of “Mac/Park” in left field, I am now able to focus 100% of my time on scouring the archives for Stix posts. In honor of the great Twinfan emerging from his blog slumber, I wanted to re-post this classic that I stumbled upon while I was looking for Stix mashed potato recipe that I wasn’t able to find.

Bob Skinner is still alive, by the way. Born in San Diggity’s hood, he turned 85 last month…

twinfan1 said, on October 3, 2014 at 8:37 am (Edit)

I wrote this yesterday, it seems in line with the tenor of this mornings comments. BTW, Steve and Paul- where may I find your Fountain of Youth, you guys look great…

“We’ve all come about our love for baseball in our own ways. I loved it as a boy and playing it made it even better. Then for many years it was a sometime diversion as my work took 12-16 hours of my day. I had season tickets for over 3 decades but my friends and customers went more than I did. Baseball as the National Pastime is a thing of the past- life is faster now, so much is available with a click and a tweet. I liken baseball to the foods of the Shaker women- the cuisine was in their heads and hearts, not put to paper. It was up to the food historians and writers like Ronald Johnson to find what was in their hearts and preserve it for today. And so it is up to those of us who remember the game of our youth, to pass along to a new generation the joy of baseball when it was the game that little boys dreamt of, when small towns were abuzz as the World Series approached and *everyone* wanted to see the powerful Yanks humbled.
Which brings me to today. I rediscovered the game when I grew older and my health deteriorated. I became a NUT, a FANBOY-and miraculously became a young boy again. I often dream of the game, I remember the players of my youth in Pittsburgh. For years I had remembered what we now call a “walk off”. A player named Johnny Powers hit one of his few home runs into the teeth of a strong wind and raised his arms high into the air as he soaked in the cheers. It wasn’t until many years later that I found out that it wasn’t Powers, it was Bob Skinner. And then I realized that it didn’t matter, what mattered was that it made me recall what the game once was and why I loved it as a boy and now again in my older years. It slows life down, it’s a game that you can savor as you savor a fine wine or a walk in the woods, a doze in a hammock, it’s a game that makes us realize that life is to be enjoyed slowly -as it passes by all too soon.”

__________________

And in the same thread I found this.

#FreeStix! RPOTD

stickman said, on October 3, 2014 at 7:41 pm (Edit)

Whatta day. Perfect excuse to take the day off from homesteading duties outdoors as temp dropped to low 30’s after mid 60’s yesterday. It was complete with off and on rain,snow and sleet with a 30 mph NNW wind howling away. Kept the wood cookstove fired up all day. Cooking down some chancy tomatoes at a slow boil. Then steamed up a couple squash. Then stewed a modest pot of pinto beans. Tomatoes still stewing and stove has been fed and fed and fed.

Fed myself half an hour ago. My refried beans begin with some lard at the bottom of the pan, followed by a garden onion, three varietals of peppers, ten fresh and juicy tomatillos, a bit of my dried oregano, some cumin, good dashes of turmeric, splash of paisano red, few slices cut finer of crystallized ginger, nice dollop of garlic ~ and ultimately freshly mashed pintos and half a small squash ~ also from the garden.

The blend simmered for about 1.5 hours and then it was time to cut up a couple cherokee purple tomatoes for a topping and toast lightly the first flour tortilla atop the wood range. Ended up eating four burrito sized entities. Fresh cold well-water for a wash. (the brandy followed the victory).

Perfect coda for an indoor day in the old shack, all centered on a 3-2 win. Tuxedo cat “U-Boat” cuddling on the lap just springing off as i write about him. Sometimes pussy is waaay too telepathic. Nice warm feeling overall here in the dank, chilly northwoods evening. Fun to share with the Flap.

1. chipower9 said, on December 7, 2016 at 7:01 am

Wow. Those are two wonderful posts! Thanks, Flavor.

Twin’s, as I am sure it will with most Flappers, really resonated with me. I think we all recall playing baseball, either in little league, or those pick-up sandlot games (those were my favorite). We used to play sun-up to sun-down during the summer months when we were out of school. Thanks Twin for rekindling those oh so fond memories. I hope to see you more frequently here, again. I miss ya you old dunderhead!

Stix’s post is awesome, too. I think I have mentioned that one of the future trips I intend with my trailer was going to be to Stix’s neck of the woods with hopefully an opportunity to meet him in the flesh, and to check out his spread. So sad that those dreams will not be realized (or, on the flush, that sure appears to be the case).

Heard the interview with Melancon yesterday afternoon on KNBR. I like the guy. When he mentioned he and his wife’s trip to New Zealand that included a trip down in a shark cage to rub shoulders with Great Whites, I liked him even more (both – a trip to New Zealand and experiencing Great Whites firsthand are both bucket list items for me).

~73 daze until pitchers and catchers report. PLAY BALL!

• blade3colorado said, on December 7, 2016 at 7:19 am

You would love New Zealand Chi. Numerous beautiful beaches where you literally are the ONLY one on the beach. Same deal for the gorgeous parks, roads and highways. Population of NZ is a bit over 4 million. Of the 40 countries plus I have visited, New Zealand is number 3, after Vietnam and Ecuador.

• djloo27 said, on December 7, 2016 at 7:17 pm

and harness racing!

2. blade3colorado said, on December 7, 2016 at 7:16 am

Again, it’s great to see Mike post on the blog. Always provocative and usually right on all things baseball, technology and life in general. In short, a caring, loving person (albeit, with occasional rough edges. Grin.).

Love this post from Stix. He does have a way with words and his comments about recipes, tundra living, and the Giants are usually enjoyable!

As I said, I am not sold on the Melancon signing. Nevertheless, he’s with us, fills a big hole in our lineup, and to date, he has been a stud as a closer. No doubt about that. However, I hope the Giants do not exacerbate this dubious trade (again, my opinion), with what I am also reading they are going to do . . .

Specifically, I understand they are still hot on JD Martinez and as a fall back plan, Colby Rasmus. Arrrggghhh!
    Regarding Martinez, I hope everyone realizes that we will have to back up the Brinks truck into his driveway, insofar as compensating the Tigers in a trade. He will easily cost us a shitload of prospects and we will likely only rent his services for one year, as he is a free agent after next year. With our contract commitments, forget about resigning him to a free agent contract after next season. No way that happens.

Second, if we don’t trade for him, I understand the Giants will go to Plan B, the dubious Colby Rasmus. Ugh. This mediocre player has a lifetime .311 OBP and has averaged 24 HRs over a 162 game season. The last stat sounds good until you realize, the MOFO is always injured and we’ll be lucky to get 107 games out of him (as Toronto got last year). Worse, he was at a hitters park in Toronto. I easily see this guy face planting next season.

Giants should go in-house with Williamson and Parker next season IMO.

• gianthead said, on December 7, 2016 at 7:36 am

I totally agree with the point on Rasmus. Poor man’s Reddick. But as I say below, I hope the threat of starting Mac Park is just a negotiating tactic with the Tigers. One of our non Blach pitching prospects (Blackburn?) and either Mac or Park I think is a very fair deal.

With a our current top 4 starters and Blach hopefully nailing down the 5th spot, there is not going to be a lot of shots for Blackburn, Beede, or Stratton as starters and Krick seemingly is at a dead end in the organization.

• blade3colorado said, on December 7, 2016 at 7:50 am

I’m reading that the Tigers will want much more. Equally important, this will be compounded by him most certainly leaving (IMO) after one season when he is a free agent.

3. gianthead said, on December 7, 2016 at 7:20 am

I am hoping (praying) that mgmt saying they are happy to go with a Mac/Park tandem in left is completely a negotiating tactic to get the Tigers down on their asking price for Martinez. That combo with being stuck with Spam as well is just not pennant caliber lineup..

4. gianthead said, on December 7, 2016 at 7:40 am

Mlb channel just showed a picture of a very slimmed down Panda…so I would guess the Sox are not likely to just DQ him. Will be rooting for him to come back strong…if the Sox are smart they bench him against lefties…

5. willedav said, on December 7, 2016 at 7:40 am

J D would be a legit bat in middle of order. Gorkys/Mac/Parker are unproven kids who might develop into something, tho Hernandez has been around a while without doing much at ml level. Putting them alongside Span and Pence, both of whom disappointed last year, is asking for trouble imo.
    Giants are supposedly counting on a lot of “ifs” to improve runs scored from where it was last year, 9th in NL—rebound from healthy Panik, full year of Nunez better bench with healthy Specs minus Blanco yada yada.

Like I said in GH poll yesterday I’d rather have Turner or JD instead of typical dumpster dive, which is where I’d rate Colby Rasmus, If you have to give up prospects to win, so be it.

• gianthead said, on December 7, 2016 at 7:50 am

Like minds Willedav…when I was scanning our prospects list, lot of those pitchers have been on the prospects list for a while and I don’t see how they make an impact on our roster in the next 2-3 years…especially among the starters. So let’s get as much value as possible through trades for bats…

But also seeing Arroyo’s name #1 and being reminded he is only 21 has me very, very excited. He should crush at Sactown this year and who knows if we see him later this year. I think Arroyo as a 3b starter come 2018 is a real possibility and hitting in between Crawford and Belt has a ring of a bright bright future…why we also need a real LF now!!!

6. Flavor said, on December 7, 2016 at 7:53 am

I’m highly doubting they trade or buy a LF. Rasmus is 100% internet nonsense rumor, there’s no way he’d even want to play here and we wouldn’t want him. It’s a bad fit. Giants are already over the lux tax. They won’t admit it, but I can’t see them going any further over it. Regarding JD, I don’t see him costing THAT much.
    And I am fine with Mac/Park in LF. My biggest pet peeve with Bochy is that he has NEVER given any run to a young guy in the OF. He ran fucking Rowand out there for 500 straight weak ground balls to 3rd base but Duvall got a couple of spot starts before he was jettisoned. Same thing last year. Blanco sucks all year long while Parker and Mac rode pine. Then after season Blanco says he was hurt all year. Great job, Boch.

• willedav said, on December 7, 2016 at 8:14 am

Mac got hurt too, diving for a ball in LF, which sucked. Parker just got buried esp once Pence came back.
      Loo said this before, filling out an entire new OF not gonna be easy…sure would be nice if one of these kids (or that Slater in Sac) worked out better than a Nate or a Kieschnick.

7. Flavor said, on December 7, 2016 at 7:56 am

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 2h2 hours ago
    #Tigers struggling to move J.D. Martinez, Kinsler. Want solid young IFer or OFer for either; teams still have plenty of FA options.

• Bozo said, on December 7, 2016 at 8:16 am

Solid young IFer? Come on down Ehire Adrianza.

8. willedav said, on December 7, 2016 at 8:35 am

Looked in over at blogspot Twin mentioned by those who used to post a lot at Baggs old Merc site. togetherweregiants.com
    Just my luck—-most recent column on…my girl Amy G. complete with big pic of her smiling face in the stands.
    Tweets from Pavs, and Baggs on widget side, mostly a good read.

9. Flavor said, on December 7, 2016 at 8:40 am

Rockies out of the blue, 70 mi for Desmond. Gotta think he’ll put up great numbers there. That team looks quite formidable on paper but we all know how this will end for them…….

• chipower9 said, on December 7, 2016 at 9:18 am

Wow. I think they overpaid. Desmond was a guy I thought would look good in our OF. Oh well, that ship has sailed…

10. chipower9 said, on December 7, 2016 at 9:16 am

I am with Flavor on his 7:53 post. With the team being over the luxury tax threshold, I don’t expect them to do much in regards to free agency and an OFer.

And I agree that I do not think it will take that much for the Tigers to move JD. I heard a discussion the other day, and basically the talk was that the Tigers are already over the luxury tax threshold, and are very motivated in moving salary. So, again, I don’t think it would take that much as far as prospects to land Martinez. If it did not take a top prospect (or even a few) I am still down with that trade, but not holding my breath.

Blade – what is it about Melancon that you are down on? Dude’s numbers last couple of years have been damned good. And while he is not a flamethrower, the guy can “pitch.” And, by the way, it was not a trade. He was signed as a FA.

• blade3colorado said, on December 7, 2016 at 9:37 am

I knew that. It was a typo (corrected) . . . my bad.

Not being a “flamethrower” is a big part of the reason. Even a small decrease in his velocity will mean trouble in my opinion. Second, the template for closers has been to develop them in-house by teams. For years and years this was how it was done. The recent precedent of throwing large amounts of money at closers is a mistake in my opinion, e.g., the poster boy for bad closer signings, Heath Bell leveraged a solid run in San Diego into a ludicrous three-year, $27 million deal with the Marlins before the 2012 season. Carlos Marmol, Jonathan Papelbon, and Brandon League were all bad contracts as well.

By the by, they almost all start out as starting pitchers when they are drafted, but if they do not develop quickly and have less than 3 quality pitches, they’re moved to relief roles. In short, as I have said previously, they are failed starting pitchers. Fact.

Only once in a blue moon, do you get a Mariano Rivera type closer. I consider Chapman and Jansen as having that potential, but Melancon? I doubt it. However, I would love to be proved wrong next season or better yet, for the duration of his contract.

• alleykat69 said, on December 7, 2016 at 10:30 am

What will make Melancon good is his ability to get ground balls and that’s the Giants strength up the middle.So as he’s not lights out like Jansen are Chapman with the heat it might not matter if he’s helping turning the DP’S!!

11. Flavor said, on December 7, 2016 at 9:51 am

I think “the duration of his contract” is probably aiming too high. If he’s solid next year I’ll take that and we can worry about who the closer will be if he fucks up in year 2. But my guess is he’ll be good for 2 years and then start to implode in year 3.

12. unca_chuck said, on December 7, 2016 at 10:07 am

2 years is all I really hope for. 31 is fine for a control guy.

Blade, the failed starter was true in the 70s, but I think they identify and make the switch to reliever much much earlier than they used to. Relievers become much more aware of how to pitch in that role earlier on in their careers. It is a specialty, not a fall-back.

• blade3colorado said, on December 7, 2016 at 10:13 am

“. . . make the switch to reliever much much earlier than they used to.”

Didn’t I say that?

“By the by, they almost all start out as starting pitchers when they are drafted, but if they do not develop quickly and have less than 3 quality pitches, they’re moved to relief roles. In short, as I have said previously, they are failed starting pitchers.”

13. unca_chuck said, on December 7, 2016 at 10:09 am

Melancon addressed a huge need. Something the 49ers seem to be blissfully unaware of.

14. alleykat69 said, on December 7, 2016 at 10:25 am

Giants are shopping Chris Heston you would think as a package deal, though that’s not much to offer. They will have to make a move on the 40 man as well..

15. gianthead said, on December 7, 2016 at 10:28 am

Desmond to the Rockies…I am highly suspicious of his new found power last year…

• sandog said, on December 7, 2016 at 10:54 am

I don’t know about newfound re his power. He damn near put one on the walkway beneath the Coke bottle slide a couple of years ago. It was Gallaraga-esque.

16. Bozo said, on December 7, 2016 at 10:30 am

It was good to see Twin back in the saddle again, hopefully he checks in more often.

Melancon isn’t flashy or an in your face kind of guy, he just goes out and gets the job done. In the last two years he has 98 saves with 6 blown saves. I’m good with that.

Looking at our pitching, I’m thinking Cain and Blach contending for the 5th slot with one of them taking over the long man role. With that and barring a trade or injury, I’m guessing our 13 man staff will look like this;
    Bumgarner, Cueto, Moore, Samardzija, Blach/Cain
    Blach/Cain, Melancon, Law, Kontos, Strickland, Smith, Gearrin and Okert.
    With Suarez, Osich, Heston, Blackburn, Stratton etc taking the bus back to Sacto. That also means no room at the inn for the comeback guys like Nathan, Josh Johnson or a Greg Holland, which kind of bums me out.

• gianthead said, on December 7, 2016 at 10:39 am

I think you are dead on but think Osich is the one who makes it…

• blade3colorado said, on December 7, 2016 at 10:50 am

Agree. Osich had good numbers last season (although very bad moments at critical times). He’s on the team next season.

• gianthead said, on December 7, 2016 at 10:43 am

Maybe the Tigers would take a nice young flamethrower in one Hunter Strickland. Mac also seems destined for the AL…that is a good deal, make it happen Tigers..

• chipower9 said, on December 7, 2016 at 3:02 pm

Agree on Osich. He has good overall numbers, but is lights fucking out against lefties…so, he could become that specialist…ala Lopez. I think he makes the team.

17. gianthead said, on December 7, 2016 at 10:37 am

Hey Flav, what did the CBA set the luxury cap threshold at? I thought they decided on $195 mill???

My count has the team only in the expected $170-$175 mill range with arb figures. If I am close, I don’t think they are over the luxury cap and think that allows them to adding $14 mill to $20 mill in contracts still.

• Flavor said, on December 7, 2016 at 10:58 am

Evans said on the radio that they were at it when you include the arb guys and another cost I can’t recall right now

• Bozo said, on December 7, 2016 at 11:01 am

Xoot posted this yesterday – According to Cot’s the definition of “payroll” for luxury tax purposes is (and for years has been) this: “Payrolls are for 40-man rosters and include averages of multiyear contracts; health and pension benefits; clubs medical costs; insurance; workman’s compensation, payroll, unemployment and Social Security taxes; spring training allowances; meal and tip money; All-Star game expenses; travel and moving expenses; postseason pay; and college scholarships.”

And Evens mentioned in the Merc the other day that their 40 man was pretty much at the $195 mark.

18. gianthead said, on December 7, 2016 at 10:50 am

Blade, I did not watch of the Nats last year after they landed Melancon, but from what I have read, he has added a cutter to his mix of pitches and throws things from constant different angles. If we simply have had him last year, I feel very confident we pull off games 4 and 5 against the Cubs and had a legit shot against the Fodgers and maybe winning another WS. All based on just having a legit prime time closer. So in my view landing an arm that you can hand the ball to every time in the 9th and come out 95% of the time winning, in my opinion is overwhelmingly important.

Jansen was my preferred choice but that will cost at least $30 mill more. If we got Melancon with enough budget to add a legit bat that may not have been possible with a Jansen signing. I think Cotts also had Melancon making $12 mill the first year, so that helps leaving some payroll room…

• blade3colorado said, on December 7, 2016 at 11:24 am

Hope you’re right. Ultimately, it’s not my money, so more power to the Giants for grabbing one of the big 3 (closers). On paper, it does seem to solve our bullpen issues. Obviously, I would have preferred the Giants to get Jansen or Chapman. Who wouldn’t?

If the Giants had to have Melancon, I wish the situation would have been a bit later in the Hot Stove season. Why? Minimally, to simply “mind fuck” with the Dodgers, whereby they would have to overpay Jansen. They still may have to do that because the bar is set at $62 million and although I don’t think Jansen or Chapman will get $90 million, I have heard $80 million is quite possible.

By the by, Desmond* to the Rockies makes little or no sense, unless they do another move that improves their bullpen. They said he is going to 1st base, but he’s never played there and why in the hell are they going after another outfielder? They have 5 good ones already. Someone (probably Cargo) has to go, whereby they acquire bullpen help. With Melancon off the table, it will be interesting to see what they do in that area. The young starting pitching is outstanding, but without a solid bullpen, they wont go anywhere.

* Desmond probably signed with the Sherpas because he knew the MLB ‘roid squad was onto him and he had to discontinue his butt ‘roid maintenance program. Signing in the Himalayas will compensate for that.

• gianthead said, on December 7, 2016 at 11:28 am

I think that is exactly right and even if he gets busted and serves his suspension, is it a 50 game suspension for first offense??? But he signed a long-term deal so he still makes out like a bandit.

• chipower9 said, on December 7, 2016 at 3:05 pm

I would take Melancon over Chapman, especially when you consider the coin Chapman will get. Plus, I have heard he is asking for something like six years. I am quite happy with the way things shook-out.

19. gianthead said, on December 7, 2016 at 11:24 am

Is Crawford also playing in the World Baseball Classic????

• Macdog said, on December 7, 2016 at 11:44 am

From a Haft story on the Giants’ web site: Other Giants who might play in the WBC include shortstop Brandon Crawford, who was named to the United States’ provisional roster last week; right-hander Johnny Cueto, who’s a candidate to pitch for the Dominican Republic; and right-hander Albert Suarez, a possible member of Venezuela’s pitching staff.

• gianthead said, on December 7, 2016 at 11:49 am

Thanks M-Dog…

20. blade3colorado said, on December 7, 2016 at 11:31 am

First positive test result: 80 game suspension
    Second positive test result: 162 game suspension (the entire season, including the postseason)
    Third positive test result: lifetime ban from MLB

21. gianthead said, on December 7, 2016 at 11:48 am

Ok I digested the Flav and Bozo comments and I think there was a reference to a Xoot post yesterday about luxury cap and how Cot’s tracks it. So if all are correct and we buy Evans’ numbers, Giants are probably at the threshold. DAMN IT!! Saw this Forbes story, where the Giants (I had no idea) were over the luxury tax in 2015 by almost $7 mill but only had to pay $1.75 in the luxury tax.

Breaking Down Over $400 Million In MLB Luxury Tax Penalties Since 2003

• gianthead said, on December 7, 2016 at 11:52 am

That Span contract pisses me off even more now if we are looking at things as a whole…a JD Martinez contract then would lead to about a $2.5 million tax bill, not the worst thing in the world for a team raking in cash…

• gianthead said, on December 7, 2016 at 11:55 am

Sorry Giants paid $1.335 mill in luxury tax in ’15 not $1.75…

• xoot said, on December 7, 2016 at 12:52 pm

The rule of thumb most commentators (Brisbee, et al) use now makes sense. Because the Giants will be in the third consecutive year of luxury tax liability their liability will rise to 50% of the amount they’re over. So any new player will cost his contract amount plus 50%. The Giants also will continue to contribute to mlb’s revenue sharing pot. But we know they can afford it. They know we know it. Play ball. And win.

22. xoot said, on December 7, 2016 at 12:43 pm

I wish RS had retained Stix to write this article. Still, despite the thin prose and light-weight analysis, many important numbers are here. What a disgrace the team is.

23. blade3colorado said, on December 7, 2016 at 12:48 pm

Another thing about the Rockies. They are actually spending some real coin to compete. Not absolutely certain, but I think their annual payroll is at $120 million. Perhaps sub par for a team in a division with the Dodgers and Giants, but nevertheless, very good for a small market team. I think they rank 11th overall in MLB. I also like Black as their manager. He is very good with pitching staffs and the Rockies have an excellent staff with a good young receiving corps.

However, things will get much tougher for them and other small market teams in the future. Take Cargo for example, the new CBA does not provide a first round pick as compensation for him when it takes effect (next season I think?). The Rockies need to make a decision on him this season – cut bait or sign him to a deal that makes sense for their future. Similarly, there are more upcoming deals coming with Arenado, LeMahieu and Blackmon nearing the end of their arbitration deals in a couple of years.

24. pawliekokonuts said, on December 7, 2016 at 2:00 pm

I read here, or elsewhere, benefits are figured in to the luxury tax threhold.

Did you know players get meal money? Now that is hilarious.

25. alleykat69 said, on December 7, 2016 at 2:16 pm

Just wondering does Panda get more meal money then any other player?

26. gianthead said, on December 7, 2016 at 2:24 pm

The payroll reality is actually a little depressing. The only move now realistically is probably waiting for McCutchen at the trade deadline or Martinez. As expressed by Xoot, he is the lawyer right???, a mid-season trade would cut that luxury tax payment in half and be in the $3.5 million range.

The future is also going to be constricted as well. We now have only about $8 mill in savings for 2018 with Cain’s contract as the primary savings, but they are going to pay Melancon more ($20 mill next yer). But those savings in the next couple of years is going to be eaten up by a new contract for Bum.

Damn maybe Blade is right about the Melancon deal:))))

We might have to hope for Cueto to take his out after this year or try to dump Smardjaramjam. Of course there is also that catcher we could trade….:))))))

27. djloo27 said, on December 7, 2016 at 3:28 pm

That is some amazing writing up top there…

• blade3colorado said, on December 7, 2016 at 3:30 pm

Thank you.

• zumiee said, on December 7, 2016 at 3:48 pm

• Flavor said, on December 7, 2016 at 3:52 pm

Gif lord strikes again.

28. Flavor said, on December 7, 2016 at 4:00 pm

Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi 6m6 minutes ago
    Source: Chris Heston has been traded to the Mariners

29. Flavor said, on December 7, 2016 at 4:02 pm

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeyman 32s33 seconds ago
    SFGiants get PTBNL for heston #fairdeal

i don’t see this as a fair deal, I see this as a dumb, pointless deal.

30. Flavor said, on December 7, 2016 at 4:46 pm

Ahmed Fareed ‏@AhmedFareedCSN 29s30 seconds ago
    Amazing how quickly things can change. Chris Heston was, at times, the Giants 2nd best starting pitcher in 2015. 2nd to Bum in Ks.

• zumiee said, on December 7, 2016 at 6:05 pm

It would be interesting to see how he did after the no-hitter. No-hitters can be a lot of strain on a pitcher’s arm. I can’t remember what his pitch-count was for that game, if it was real high.

• Macdog said, on December 7, 2016 at 6:15 pm

He threw 110.

• zumiee said, on December 7, 2016 at 7:04 pm

Thanks!

• Bozo said, on December 7, 2016 at 7:10 pm

I think he threw no hit ball into the 6th or 7th inning in his next start.

• pawliekokonuts said, on December 7, 2016 at 9:14 pm

what have you done for me lately….so Trumpian

31. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on December 7, 2016 at 6:57 pm

Melancon: Great numbers against NL West teams. I like that about him, at the least. Heston: it probably sucks to be traded, but how truly sucky can it be to be traded for no one? Or, more correctly, *someone*… to be named later….. ugh.

32. Bozo said, on December 7, 2016 at 7:17 pm

Heston wasn’t going to break camp with the team and they needed room on the 40 man for Melancon. Still, he had an option left so I’m not sure why they made the move.

• alleykat69 said, on December 7, 2016 at 7:46 pm

I would guess the Giants weren’t comfortable with Heston being their long relief guy and they have both Albert Suarez & probably Matt( yeah their not gonna eat his contact Cain) to fill the role.Really hoping Ty Blach could nail down that 5th spot in ST,to have 3 lefties starting and really get in the minds of the Dogpile who don’t have a decent track record against..

33. djloo27 said, on December 7, 2016 at 7:21 pm

No-hitters are meaningless flukes unless you strikeout 18 guys.
    This is a recording…

• Macdog said, on December 7, 2016 at 7:36 pm

Yeah, but you weren’t there.

• djloo27 said, on December 7, 2016 at 8:15 pm

It’s my opinion of all no-hitters…

• Flavor said, on December 7, 2016 at 8:19 pm

how about 10+ guys? 18 is a LOT. But so is 10

34. Flavor said, on December 7, 2016 at 7:47 pm

Clippers are like the Nationals to me. Both teams are good, both teams cry like bitches and have trouble controlling their emotions.

• willedav said, on December 7, 2016 at 8:10 pm

arena awful quiet right now, down 20 in first Q with 9 turnovers.

• Flavor said, on December 7, 2016 at 8:11 pm

the Clippers can’t stop this team. Warriors are like a pre game lay up line…..

• willedav said, on December 7, 2016 at 8:13 pm

Kinda funny too that those talking mess after Warriors lost a couple have had their own losing streaks lately.
      Love to see GS keep this up and blow these aholes and their overrated whiner of a coach out on their home court.

• Macdog said, on December 7, 2016 at 8:44 pm

Did you see end of Seton Hall-Cal? Hall tried to give it away at the end, but Cal just missed game-tying 3 at buzzer.

• pawliekokonuts said, on December 7, 2016 at 8:52 pm

I like Seton Hall; have done some work for them, including a style guide. Good school.

35. pawliekokonuts said, on December 7, 2016 at 8:45 pm

Chapman to Yanks. 5 yrs. Not surprising to NYY. But 5 yrs is stoooopid.

• Macdog said, on December 7, 2016 at 8:47 pm

Damn, scooped by two minutes!

• pawliekokonuts said, on December 7, 2016 at 8:51 pm

Twitter, baby, Twitter. (to sound like that thoroughly obnoxious Dick Vitale)

36. alleykat69 said, on December 7, 2016 at 8:53 pm

Melancon’s contract starting to look like chump change now
    5/86 for Chapman?? Insane
    And now what will it take to get Jansen??
    90+who holds all the cards now..

• blade3colorado said, on December 7, 2016 at 9:14 pm

Chapman didn’t cost the Yanks a 1st round pick, Jansen will. Miami’s Loria has given the green light to his baseball people to do what it takes to get one of the big 3. Only Jansen is left and unless Loria was lying (quite possible), the Dodgers will NOT resign Jansen IMO.

• pawliekokonuts said, on December 7, 2016 at 9:16 pm

Loria might lie…..isn’t he subject to arrest if he goes back to Canada?

• blade3colorado said, on December 7, 2016 at 9:20 pm

Dunno Pawlie . . . But as I said above, he might. Two articles I have read indicate Loria has told his GM to get one of the big 3, so this will be interesting.

37. pawliekokonuts said, on December 7, 2016 at 9:24 pm

I could see Jansen wanting to reunite with Mattingly, tho’ I ain’t naive. “MONEY TALKS. NOBODY WALKS. Dennison’s Clothing.” (That’s for Loo, Macdog, and other NYC-area folks. WABC Radio ad. Remember???)

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on December 7, 2016 at 10:09 pm

Wow, a WABC reference! I grew up on Cousin Brucie ….

• pawliekokonuts said, on December 7, 2016 at 10:41 pm

there ya go

• djloo27 said, on December 7, 2016 at 10:51 pm

Don’t remember that one, Pawlie, but I’m pretty sure that I can sing the Palisades Amusement park commercial word for word…

• pawliekokonuts said, on December 8, 2016 at 7:47 am

am I confusing that with Freedomland?

38. blade3colorado said, on December 8, 2016 at 6:37 am

Love this inexpensive pickup of Bryan Morris. Dollars to donuts he will eventually stick with the club.

39. chipower9 said, on December 8, 2016 at 7:47 am

Chapman to the YankMees for FIVE is exactly why I said I liked our deal with Melancon much better. The only guy I wanted more than Melancon was Jensen. Chapman would have been my third option.

40. chipower9 said, on December 8, 2016 at 7:58 am

I did not know Bryan Morris either. 29 years old. RHP – 6’3″, 220.

I like his stats. He has predominantly pitched the 7th and 8th (55.2 IP in the 7th, and 90 in the 89th). Lifetime 2.80/1.344.

The bad news – He had surgery in June of last year to repair a herniated lumbar disk.

41. willedav said, on December 8, 2016 at 8:07 am

Ownage. Kerr now 8-1 vs. Doc. Curry and Durant didn’t shoot well either and they still thrashed them.

Mac, surprised at the Hall’s W. Looks like Carrington got some help and they dominated Cal inside. Cal had wing player Bird coming back after being out but Hall held down lotto pick Ivan Rabb. Cal a bubble team to get in, but I thought better team than Stanford which beat Hall a week ago. Maybe not anymore.