Random Friday Musings

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 9, 2016

Sometimes it’s what you DON’T get in the off season that gets you excited about the upcoming baseball season. Even though we weren’t in on him, I feel like we won when we DIDN’T get Adam Eaton. I have no idea why the Nats gave up 3 of their top prospects for that guy. Makes no sense unless they are becoming “prospect phobic” and they’re trying to ease their anxiety by purging all their best players as quickly as possible. And I’m sorry, but 5 years for Dex Fowler just wreaks of back-end ugliness. Already not a very good defender, he’s only going to get slower and worse (like all of us) with each successive year. I’d love to know what the “Shop Talk” is at the Cardinal blog about this pick up….

Ok, I know you are ALL waiting for the next #FreeStix RPOTD and I found several good ones to choose from today (as I always do). But THIS one might be the RPOTY (at least as it relates to our potato peelin’ patriot). Blade, take it away…..

blade3colorado said, on October 10, 2011 at 5:44 pm (Edit)

Great post Stix . . . For whatever reason, I always think of you as the non-violent and much, much kinder anarchist Ted Kaczynski. Like him, you live in a secluded place and have become self-sufficient so that you live autonomously. Probably like Ted, you taught yourself survival skills such as tracking, edible plant identification, and how to construct primitive technologies. You’re one of the main reasons I come to this site.

1. Cardinal70 said, on December 9, 2016 at 6:21 am

I just responded to Craig on Twitter, but my initial Fowler thoughts are:

1) As the kids say, I’m whelmed. Not under or over, just whelmed. Fowler is fine and they needed an outfielder, but it’s not a hugely exciting move.

2) The money doesn’t worry me much. The Cards already had a lower payroll than they probably could support and they have a $1 billion TV contract starting in 2018. Even if Fowler is overpaid by his production, it shouldn’t damage the team too badly.

3) My hope is they’ll get enough value out of Fowler in the first couple of years to make the contract around a wash. Having him in front of Carpenter and Diaz could make for a bit more consistency in the offense, which wouldn’t be a bad thing at all.

Happy holidays to you all!

• Flavor said, on December 9, 2016 at 6:34 am

Yeah, I guess I wasn’t really thinking just about the money. Around these parts, the motto is “guys get played as long as they’re getting paid”. Production be damned. I was thinking more in terms of him hurting the team with whelm or even underwhelm production in year 2,3,4,5. But who knows, maybe they handle that problem differently in St Louis. 🙂

• Cardinal70 said, on December 9, 2016 at 6:45 am

Sometimes. Obviously big money gets first crack, but it’s not unheard of for cheaper players to play if they are producing.

The bigger issue is if he becomes one of Mike’s guys. Then nothing will get him out of the lineup.

• blade3colorado said, on December 9, 2016 at 6:39 am

Good post and ironically, this is what I posted yesterday about a couple of guys your Cardinals might pick up. By the by, I agree with Craig, Fowler is on the downside slide of his career. He never fulfilled his promise with the Rockies, e.g., a terrible base stealer (unbelievable for someone as fast as him); would totally disappear offensively for weeks; and, just an average outfielder . . . than, as his skills have severely diminished, albeit, his speed will help him compensate some for his terrible routes.

“I doubt he is dealt Willie. It’s a crowded Colorado outfield right now with Blackmon, Gonzalez, David Dahl, and Gerardo Parra in the mix for plenty of playing time as well as Raimel Tapia and Jordan Patterson hoping to build on some of the promise they showed in late-season play.

Consequently, someone has to go. Me? I think Cargo gets traded due to his contract expiring after this season. Equally important, Scott Boras is his agent. Unless Cargo tells Boras he wants to stay, then Boras will make it very difficult for the Sherpas to retain him. Couple that with the fact, that he HATES LOSING. Him and Arenado blew gaskets at various times last season in frustration over the Rockies losing ways. The Sherpas should trade him if they want to get anything before this season ends.

Back to Blackmon . . . He is a below average outfielder, but his speed in an advantage in the wide expanses of Coors. There are very few scenarios out there where Colorado is a better team without Blackmon leading off than they are with him at the top of the lineup. Blackmon not only adds power but also speed in the leadoff spot. There aren’t a lot of options for replacing Blackmon’s speed (with the exception of Tapia) on Colorado’s radar at the moment.

Gonzalez is in no real danger of being out shined by Blackmon, but Blackmon gives teams knocking on the Rockies’ door in search of an outfielder another option to consider. He’s cheaper, under team control for an extra year, and may not experience as much of an offensive downturn away from Coors Field. St. Louis is a likely destination for either of them if one of them is dealt.”

• Cardinal70 said, on December 9, 2016 at 6:47 am

The people that were meh on Fowler really didn’t like the idea of Blackmon. (Though, to be fair, there were some that were all fired up for getting him.) I think the trade market is just too pricey for the Cards right now. Their major chip is Alex Reyes and he’s not going anywhere. The dropoff between him and folks like Luke Weaver or Harrison Bader is significant enough to hinder swaps.

2. blade3colorado said, on December 9, 2016 at 6:28 am

LOL . . . I said that? Now that is hilarious. Related to Stix, I was recently looking at a FB post of Bozo’s and thought about Stix.

We always talk about where Stix lives out on the frozen tundra of Minnesota, but at least nothing really “moves” during the weather there and/or is destroyed or broken, besides maybe trees being snapped from a heavy water saturated snow storm (as was the case frequently where I lived in the mountains of Colorado).

Anyway, my point is this – go check out these photos (link below) from October 9, 2016, where hurricane Mathew tossed Bozo’s Outer Banks neighborhood like a Caesar salad.

I drove by some of these same areas when they were serene and peaceful during my summer road trip last year. By the by, I can’t even imagine what it was like when that other hurricane affected John a few years ago, where his house/property was severely affected by another hurricane (help me John, I forgot the name of that one). It must have been real scary.

• Flavor said, on December 9, 2016 at 6:35 am

it was just such a perfect post as it relates to what ended up happening with him. When I read that this morning I was literally laughing out loud in the dark by myself. Pure gold.

• blade3colorado said, on December 9, 2016 at 6:40 am

I guess I got everything right, except he isn’t a “much, much kinder anarchist Ted Kaczynski.”

lulz 🙂

3. Flavor said, on December 9, 2016 at 6:42 am

I didn’t read the rest of that thread from 2011. Would love to check on Stix response to Blade. Something like….
    StixWiz says: “uh, yeah non violent. Hella non violent. For instance, I always shoot first with my finger. No promises after that. Kind as fuck too. Speaking of “The Kind”…. You want some? Now, where did I put that rake…”

• chipower9 said, on December 9, 2016 at 6:57 am

Blade’s post is pure gold, but Craig your “hypothetical response from Stix” had me sitting here laughing my ass off, outloud. Glad it is early at work and there are not others around. They would probably be going “WTF is up with Marchant??? That boy’s cheese is slipping.”

4. chipower9 said, on December 9, 2016 at 6:58 am

~71 daze until pitchers and catchers report. PLAY BALL!

5. willedav said, on December 9, 2016 at 8:21 am

Thx for Daniel for responding; many here have noticed ” Boch’s guys” seem to get more reps in the LU than warranted by how they are playing. With how things ended last year, bloggers were wondering if Boch had lost something off the fastball.

Interested to know Cards fans general mood/your take on the Matheny extension.

6. willedav said, on December 9, 2016 at 8:26 am

Speaking of ownage, Alex Smith now 7-1 vs, Raiders as a Chief. As Ostler says today, “Manage this.”
    DelRio had a pretty frosty death stare at Reid in postgame as Reid tapped him on shoulder. Reid’s done pretty well against them too, undefeated at Arrowhead and also 7-1.

7. sandog said, on December 9, 2016 at 8:48 am

Do you guys have something against black outfielders????
    Its not a serious question, but I will never understand the hate for Span and I’m also baffled by the venom directed at Dexter Fowler. I get it, he’s not Mike Trout, but are you all saying he is not good enough to start 150 games for us?? I sure as hell think he would have been. I think adding him to mix with our current guys would have been a good fit. Is there someone else out there better that we have a realistic chance of landing—or are all of you feeling great about Span and Mac/Parker being 2/3 of our everyday outfield? Or is there some hotshot OF phenom from our farm system ready to tear it up in 2017??/ BWAAHAAHAA!

• sfsarge said, on December 9, 2016 at 12:20 pm

My only beef with Span is his lackluster performance from the leadoff spot. All of those 3 hops to second were maddening. Expecially when it stopped or shortened the conga line. He seemed to be a serviceable fielder.

• gianthead said, on December 9, 2016 at 1:27 pm

Spam??? Dead last in NL defensive rating metrics last year. All that has to be said (Desmond would have been a nice option last year and we would not be stuck with two more Spam years). GGORKYGORKYS may bring as much offense as Spam and play much better defense….I also get ticked off about players admitting to injuries after a terrible season and your manager keeping them in there when they admit they were not 100%…

• sfsarge said, on December 9, 2016 at 2:09 pm

I don’t look at numbers, so if you have a quantitative assessment of his suckitude, I’ll buy it.

8. Flavor said, on December 9, 2016 at 9:46 am

Diggity, I have been a huge Fowler proponent for the last couple of years and wanted the Giants to sign him to a short term deal to, as I said multiple times, “threaten the triples record at AT&T Park”. Speed is a big part of his game and I don’t doubt that next year he’ll be ok. But I have NO INTEREST in signing speedy guys to long term contract while they’re in their 30’s. Black or white. It’s stupid to do. All they do is get slower. Fact.

9. chipower9 said, on December 9, 2016 at 11:11 am

I agree with Craig’s sentiments above on OFers. Span – I have nothing against the guy. I do believe he was not 100% last year (recovering from off-season surgery), so I am hopeful we get better production out of him next year.

His line from last year:

.266 .331 .381 .712 – 53 BB and 79 Ks.

I would like to see his average go up a bit (I know he is not going to hit .300) and his OBP to go up (that could be done by taking more BB and cutting down on the Ks).

10. zumiee said, on December 9, 2016 at 12:12 pm

All teams hype their free-agent acquisitions, and the Giants’ brass really poured it on about Span. It often sets the player up to be disappointing to the fans. The hype is probably always going to happen. Teams want to sell tickets in the off-season. I bought into the Span hype more than I should have. He’s an OK player, but not all that thrilling.

• zumiee said, on December 9, 2016 at 12:13 pm

The Spring storyline will be that he’s healthier this season, and will do better. But who knows?

11. zumiee said, on December 9, 2016 at 12:15 pm

Do you guys think Lincecum will ever pitch in a major league game again? I think there’s about a 10% chance he will. Maybe someone will sign him to a minor league contract and he has a nice season at AAA, and gets called up to the majors late in the season. But I doubt he can pitch well in AAA anymore. Without his good fastball anymore, he is done.

• sfsarge said, on December 9, 2016 at 12:22 pm

I doubt it. It’s a sad way to see his career end. But when he lost his electric stuff, that was it.

• Flavor said, on December 9, 2016 at 12:28 pm

no. It’s over. He was getting smashed last year as a Utah Bee or whatever the heck their name is. I think he’ll get a spring training invite, get smashed again, decline trip to minors, retire……

• gianthead said, on December 9, 2016 at 1:33 pm

I’m with the group…Timmy is done and has a bright future of a lot of dope smoking…

12. djloo27 said, on December 9, 2016 at 1:33 pm

Interesting that Timmy’s 2 no hitters didn’t happen till he was well past his glory days…

13. sfsarge said, on December 9, 2016 at 2:10 pm

Speaking of washed up pitchers, does anyone think we get anything useful out of Cain?

• Flavor said, on December 9, 2016 at 2:43 pm

I guess he’s still got his velocity so there’s a chance. But there seems like there’s something else wrong. He’s just a shell of himself.

• djloo27 said, on December 9, 2016 at 6:46 pm

He slimmed down too much.
        So did Jason Schmidt…

14. Flavor said, on December 9, 2016 at 2:42 pm

MLB Pipeline
    ‏@MLBPipeline
    RHP Phil Bickford suspended 50 games following 2nd positive test for a drug of abuse. No. 5 on #Brewers Top 30 list:

• xoot said, on December 9, 2016 at 2:59 pm

Now there’s a pothead.

• xoot said, on December 9, 2016 at 3:03 pm

I don’t think mlb randomly tests for drugs of abuse, at least not marijuana. They only go after players they have reason to investigate. I think.

• snarkk said, on December 9, 2016 at 6:06 pm

A reason the Giants unloaded him?…

15. zumiee said, on December 9, 2016 at 3:43 pm

Regarding Cain, I think I read somewhere where a pundit said Cain’s fastball has lost the movement it used to have. Just a little movement caused the ball to miss the sweet spot on the bat, and fly out instead of putting it off the wall or into the seats. Now the batters are connecting totally squared up.

• zumiee said, on December 9, 2016 at 3:47 pm

And Cain’s breaking pitches were never dominant enough to become primary pitches.

Timmy’s problem is he was never a control pitcher, and he relied on the greatness of his stuff to fool batters. Now they can just get comfortable and take balls until Timmy is way behind in the count and just tee off when he has to bite off a big part of the strikezone.

• snarkk said, on December 9, 2016 at 6:04 pm

DFA Cain…

• zumiee said, on December 9, 2016 at 6:25 pm

He’ll probably start the season as the #5. How many starts will he get?

• zumiee said, on December 9, 2016 at 6:26 pm

The first time I hear Bochy say: “He’s feeling good, and he’s close,” I will scream.

16. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on December 9, 2016 at 6:36 pm

Timmy’s somewhat rapid and nearly complete decline is still a big puzzler to me. Recently re-watched that video “the last 27 outs” of the 2010 Series; man, “electric stuff” indeed. I understand how pitchers lose speed as they age, but the “stuff”? After that brilliant 2010 post-season, that stuff just disappeared within only a couple of years. Don’t fully understand that.

17. Bozo said, on December 9, 2016 at 8:18 pm

Blade – In the eight years since I moved here, I’ve found each major and minor storm to have their own weirdness to them. Hurricane Irene is the one you’re thinking about and that kicked my ass the most. We took on just under 2 feet of water and mud in our house and we basically lost most things on the first floor.

I think Irene was only a cat 1 or 2 when it hit us, the wind strength wasn’t so bad but the storm came up the Sound side and hit us directly. It took over 20 hours for it to get completely over us and the water it sucked up created a storm surge that kicked our ass more than the wind.
    Sandy didn’t hit us directly but the back side of the storm had wind currents hitting us from the West and East, I made call to friends and family up north about it being a weird one and to get out.
    Arthur hit me with 100+ hour winds but went over us so fast that it did little damage to my property.
    Ike was less damage for me than a Nor’ Easter.
    Mathew was another weird one. It wasn’t supposed to hit us, Weather folks dropped it down to a tropical depression but it hit us with a lot of rain, this was just after getting hit by Hermine and a very wet year, so our ground was really saturated. The back end of the storm hit us with hurricane force winds at 85 mph from the West (hurricanes usually hit us from the East side, the ocean side). We lost a lot of trees (I still have 3 huge pines that need to cut up, one almost came down on a neighbors house, so glad it didn’t) but I didn’t really get much flooding, but like the photos showed, some places in the OBX that didn’t usually get flooded got fucked up big time.

What do we do after cleaning up?
    Tomorrow I’m playing a Pirate Santa in my village’s local Christmas parade, riding in a new skiff that our VFD just got. Last week I was playing Dixieland/Christmas music for the town of Duck’s Yuletide Crab Pot tree lighting . I guess the storms aren’t the only thing weird around these parts.

• Bozo said, on December 9, 2016 at 8:26 pm

Damn, that went on and on and I’m still typing, yeesh…

• zumiee said, on December 9, 2016 at 8:44 pm

Very interesting post.

• blade3colorado said, on December 9, 2016 at 8:48 pm

Great post! Yeah, hard to believe that was a tropical depression, as those photos showed snapped power poles that looked like broken toothpicks. Similarly, the rain, ocean surge, and already saturated ground was quite obvious from looking at those photos of the beach, which had essentially disappeared (or eroded back into the ocean).

I’m sort of getting familiar with these types of storms (again, as I lived in Hawaii as a kid) in Vietnam. Just this year, we’ve had two monsoon incidents where numerous Saigon streets were flooded with 2-3 feet of water. In Linh’s home town of Tuy Hoa, they had continuous rain, wind, ocean surges for almost two weeks straight! Ironically, these are just typical monsoon storms, not Typhoons (what they call Hurricanes).

The biggest storm I have been involved with was a typhoon which hit Honolulu in 1969 or 1970, when I was a kid. Our house was in the foothills overlooking Honolulu, so you would think we were protected somewhat. However, my bedroom was in the basement of the house. I still remember waking up and getting out of bed sleepily and not noticing at first I was sticking my feet in 2 feet of water. Holy shit . . . I had no idea what had happened until I had woken up.

• Bozo said, on December 9, 2016 at 9:40 pm

Stay safe over there, Steve.
        All this talk of storms reminds me of those John Prine lyrics –
        “That’s the way that the world goes ’round
        You’re up one day, the next you’re down
        It’s a half-an-inch of water and you think you’re gonna drown
        That’s the way that the world goes ’round”

18. blade3colorado said, on December 9, 2016 at 8:25 pm

Regarding Cain, the articles I have read indicate that he is fine when he pitches 5 or less innings and after that he has difficulty with his control. Not certain it is a stamina issue, as I also read that last season he was still in “rehab” mode and this season, he can concentrate just on conditioning. Sometimes, all of this is just bullshit words. It seemed that way with Lincecum . . . Him, Bochy, coaches, and team mates would all do a “chorus” of Zumiee’s Bochy line, “He’s feeling good, and he’s close.”

More times than not, they were just being politically correct . . . Maybe they should listen to Trump. lulz.

• snarkk said, on December 9, 2016 at 9:51 pm

Cover words for a dude that’s lost it, and still making $20 million. Heston, making about 1/40th of Cain’s stroke, was pitching crap like Cain in 2016, and got shipped to Seattle for a PTBNL…

19. willedav said, on December 10, 2016 at 7:52 am

I’m gonna take the opposite tack here—I consider what Giants have offensively as mostly “whelming” and believe an upgrade is in order. A guy like Fowler would help anywhere. If he declines over time (from a .390 OB/.860 OPS) then he’s no worse than what you have or what SF has been running out there last couple years.

2015 they brought in Mac G and Aoki…you can’t get more underwhelming than that and Pagan got hurt.
    Duffy and Panik were supposed to be headed for stardom–one was so bad he got traded and the other hit .239.
    Pence, while being paid $37 mil last 2 years, has played a total of 158 games and hit 22 HRs. Expect more?
    Nunez is NOT an AS. flashes of brilliance but overall strictly average at everything.
    Span is a very streaky hitter who struggled vs. LHP.
    Posey? Craw? Belt? best days ahead/behind/more of same? I’d say build more around them.

Bottom line Giants didn’t score enough runs last year while finishing 9th in NL in that category; hard to be excited current group does more. If you’ve got Smardz and Cain/new kid out there every 5 days, there are gonna be games you’ll need 5-6 to win.

• Flavor said, on December 10, 2016 at 7:59 am

I agree with you. And I would have have warmed up to Fowler for a year before his steep decline set in. The problem is that they aren’t going to do anything else because of the lux tax. I was just thinking about what a let down that is…..

• willedav said, on December 10, 2016 at 8:03 am

The bean counters are running the asylum? That’s not good baseball decision, that’s what the A’s do.

• Flavor said, on December 10, 2016 at 8:10 am

well, the tax is the tax. It’s quite a high number that the A’s will come 100 million shy of. I don’t really fault the team for standing pat at this point.

• willedav said, on December 10, 2016 at 8:48 am

The Giants Way has been to consistently overvalue what they have and overpay their players; these have often been curious decisions, bean counters be damned.
        When those decisions ultimately fail (Cain Lincecum et al) they have 2 options–players in system/add in from outside. Cueto smradz Moore Melancon FLR, fine. Hitters? um…
        If all they are willing to do beside a dumpster dive is add Melancon I find that less than whelming. We’ll see

20. zumiee said, on December 10, 2016 at 9:37 am

Major Applewhite? That’s a real name? It sounds like someone saying a put-down. “Man, you’re a major applewhite.”

21. Flavor said, on December 10, 2016 at 10:51 am