NFL

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 11, 2016

Big day in the NFL for most teams not associated with SF. I flipped through the rumor mill looking for some Giants news but came up with squat. Wish we had picked up Danny Espinosa, he was cheap and would have provided fantastic utility depth for us. I’ll never understand why Sabean declares the team done in the Winter just because he’s got his positions filled out. What’s wrong with putting together a back up plan here or there? If you don’t, you usually get shingo’ed come post season time.

#FreeStix! RPOTD

stixwiz said, on September 2, 2011 at 10:13 pm (Edit)

It was so nice to go into my hot woodstove kitchen and load up the plate with a couple fresh garden spuds and then top it off with a smothered porkchop awash with tomato, basil, three varieties of pepper, zucchini, some garlic, a spot of paisano and a nice red onion. Took the loaded plate into the dining room and leisurely meandered through the deliciousness of it all with not a worry, fret or jitter in my mind. Eighth inning about to start. Nice relaxed sitdown meal, knowing the Giants finally got that laugher i called for earlier today. Sure nuff. Matt the Horse wins his eleventh. Casilla puts him down in the 9th and Giants fans can bask a bit once more. We’ve won two straight!

1. willedav said, on December 11, 2016 at 8:02 am

yikes another 2011 reference, a season to forget. Checking out that box with the J Sanchez W and looking at that LU, ugh. Now Stix talking about Cain and Casilla, 2 bad investments (Bochy re up vesting of 2016 by getting him saves end of 2015).

2. willedav said, on December 11, 2016 at 9:15 am

At cbs site is report Baalke is toast, maybe Kelly too.

Far more interesting however is story there of proposed legislation in state of Washington (by 3 GOP members) to make it illegal to prohibit concealed carry pistols being brought into stadiums convention centers etc. by local govts. or private ownerships such as who owns a stadium.

Never quite get the take by the concealed carry advocates, that limiting their ability to be packing is an abrogation of “their rights.”
    I just don’t want to be in Target and someone waiting in line gets disappointed in level of service…

Btw Flav, big story in Chron today on Eric Byrnes, who now runs Ultra marathons of 100 miles and has a film about his efforts.

• Flavor said, on December 11, 2016 at 9:50 am

yup. Know all about Byrnes happenings these days. I think I told you guys I used to work with his dad, EB used to come around the office when he was back from UCLA. Pretty humble kid back then but that changed…..

3. djloo27 said, on December 11, 2016 at 9:35 am

3 varieties of pepper!

• Flavor said, on December 11, 2016 at 9:49 am

he’s off the damn rails. I LOVE IT!!!!!!!

• snarkk said, on December 11, 2016 at 12:32 pm

Apparently Stix loved burying pork chops in a barrage of groceries. ‘Tis true, the other white meat can sometimes be dull on the palate, and needs assistance from flavor first responders. At least Stix is not ruining a smoked chop in today’s Northwoods classic of comfort foods. He may have been in thrall of native Minnesotans, whose state is the home of the “hot dish”, where any kind of green vegetable and starch combo with canned mushroom soup is a beloved food group. I like Stix’ apparent regular dash of Carlo Rossi (ahem) “Paisano” jug wine. Paisano is the Gallo brothers contribution to the crap wine category that was pushed to the American public long long before before Trader Joe’s came out with their “two buck chuck” from Bronco (Franzia) wines. Paisano is the better effort. Essentially it is a mishmash of dubious quality Central Valley red wine varietals Gallo has left in the bulk tanks, all thrown in, with a good dash of Barbera to hold the lot together in some semblance of a vin rouge. Definitely has plenty of acid back to perk up pork; or go with a slathering of bulk lasagna ala Costco, and slay a butter-dripping garlic bread chaser. Too, a substitute for turpentine. These days, my liver only has a declining, finite number of drinks left in it, so Paisano gets a balk call from my grocery cart. My father used to leave an opened jug of Paisano in his camper’s food bin for months at a time out in heat and cold. After aging in that crucible of perfect conditions — Paisano tasted the same as the day purchased…

4. djloo27 said, on December 11, 2016 at 10:20 am

Could you imagine a Flapalooza with Stix and Twin in attendance?

5. mrsprtdude said, on December 11, 2016 at 10:31 am

Love the “shingoed” reference. I talked to Reggie Sanders at a spring game this year. Thanked him for 02. Nice guy. I often wonder as a pro athlete how much he thought about not catching Spezio homer. He hit the wall just as he was going to jump. Unclear if he could have caught it. To be a 20 homer guy and be pinch hit for by a some lame ass scrub on a lame ass Dusty hunch must have killed him. ( Tom Goodwin)
    Looked at the WS stats…..Bonds 8/17 with 4 hrs , 2 2Bs. 13 walks. OPS of 1.994 Unreal.

• djloo27 said, on December 11, 2016 at 10:51 am

You and I have always agreed on that ‘dude. If he somehow pulled it in, it might’ve been the greatest WS catch ever. Looking at it now, it seems near impossible:

6. alleykat69 said, on December 11, 2016 at 11:33 am

Speizo still wants to make me puke!
    Along with Baker for pulling a dominant Ortiz and giving him the ball,which you don’t do,to give the Angels any motivation to comeback!!

• snarkk said, on December 11, 2016 at 12:14 pm

If Felix and Worrell do their jobs, none of that Ortiz crap would ever have been an issue. Felix was a damn homer machine that last part of the season, throwing straight 97 mph fastballs, like our recently familiar and thick-headed Strick. BTW, Posey has to share some of the blame for those Strick hit-me pitches when he’s got 0-2 count leverage situations…

• djloo27 said, on December 11, 2016 at 12:20 pm

I thought Felix was washed up by then. He couldn’t put anybody away anymore…

7. Macdog said, on December 11, 2016 at 4:40 pm

I have no idea when I last saw a replay of that HorroR, if ever, but even after three titles, I cannot bring myself to look at it.

8. snarkk said, on December 11, 2016 at 4:46 pm

Looks like the Niners frittered away to a loss in OT to the Jets, one of the worst teams in NFL. I’m glad for it. This bad Niner house has to burn down before it can be rebuilt. The entire organization stinks, owner on down. Clean house and bring in Steve Young to run the thing…

• Flavor said, on December 11, 2016 at 4:58 pm

I am stoked they lost. Fuck York. York arrogance is what brought all this on. He brought it on himself. He should go hide in the sewer like a rat. Niner fans should be so pissed off at this idiot….

9. Flavor said, on December 11, 2016 at 5:58 pm

now that you mention it (Snarkk from the other thread) Stix does tend to slather and smother the shit out of his pork chops, right? So are they tender or tough has horse hide?

10. zumiee said, on December 11, 2016 at 5:59 pm

That video clip is the first time I’ve watched the Spiezio HR since that game in ’02. I guess I’m surprised at how little it bothered me to watch the clip. So much water under the bridge since then. I got married. My dad passed away. The nation elected its first black president. The Giants won 3 championships. I’ve met an amazing group of Giants fans on this blog.
    Good for Spiezio. It just doesn’t bother me anymore. If the Giants had won that World Series, maybe things play out completely differently, and they don’t win it all in any of the three years:’10, ’12, or ’14. Maybe Spiezio did us a favor.

• Flavor said, on December 11, 2016 at 6:36 pm

I’ve thought a lot about that over the years. What if they had beaten the Angels. Sliding doors stuff. Looking back on it, that team didn’t have nearly the endearing characters that the 2010 team had. And 2010 was so perfect, and even 2012 and 2014 in their own right, I am so thankful it worked out the way it did…..

11. Flavor said, on December 11, 2016 at 7:08 pm

I’m more disturbed by those stupid noise maker cylinder things that the Angels fans are mindlessly smacking together than I am the Speizio HR

12. Flavor said, on December 11, 2016 at 7:12 pm

Sanders screws up his jump and gets stuck to the wall but if you freeze frame it right when he hits the wall there would have been no chance to catch it. The ball is at least 15 feet above his head. If he dove straight into the stands he might have been able to catch it as it was coming straight down at that point. But even if he’d of caught it he would have been in the stands, still ending up as an HR.

13. snarkk said, on December 11, 2016 at 9:41 pm

Center cut pork chops, with bone in or out, can be quite nice and tender. Bone in preferred, in my book. Double cut, thick pork chops can be really good. Stix seems to like to slow braise his with all sorts of stuff tossed in. Long, slow braising is a good way to tender up tougher meats. Personally, for pork I think a pork tenderloin that’s brined for a few hours, then browned and oven-cooked on high heat for about 1/2 hour — great stuff, and super tender cut. You can cut a tenderloin into thin strip, pound out, then stuff with an herb-based paste (sage, oregano, etc) and roll it up — it will turn out beautifully… and taste great…

14. djloo27 said, on December 12, 2016 at 4:39 am

Any baloney sandwich tips?