Nearing Haiku Territory

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 12, 2016

Dodgers look like they’re re-signing Turner. They can have him. He’s 32, I didn’t know that. You want to give a dude a 4 year deal at that age when he just had a power explosion out of no where? Well, at least he’ll have the dough to buy up the best masking drugs money can buy.

It doesn’t look like the Giants will be re-signing free agents Gregor Blanco, Santiago Casilla, Javier Lopez, Angel Pagan, Jake Peavy or Sergio Romo, CSNBayArea.com’s Alex Pavlovic writes.

_______________

#FreeStix! RSPOTD (retro stoney post of the day)

stixwiz said, on August 24, 2011 at 7:00 pm (Edit)

True, my diction can get a bit airy at times, but rarely do i garble the syntax. Rarely too, do i consult one of those things due to a firm belief in the evolution of the American language away from the bloody Quean’s English. Gotta consider actual usage by everyday folk in common conversation as having more streetcred than the vaporings and snifflings pronounced and pronouned by pundits, prognosticators and general poobahs. Now, i’m not proffering suchlike syllabilizations to be wrong, per se ~ just not my cuppa lapsang souchong to go with smoked provolone and a thin slice of cucumber on a club cracker.

1. willedav said, on December 12, 2016 at 7:01 am

One of Herb Caen’s old jokes used to be about something sounding as if translated from Ukrainian…a lot like this one from Stix. Even if you read all the way through it’s hard to figure out wtf he’s trying to say.

Say what you want about Turner, the guy has raked. This is way too easy a path to take imo—the rationale of “oh he’ll never do this again/fall apart in couple years.” Hey even if he did decline, he’d still be way better hitter than any current IF Giants have on entire roster/have had going back many years.

Who was the Reds GM who called Frank Robinson an old 30 or something and traded him off to Balt?

2. willedav said, on December 12, 2016 at 7:04 am

GH used to tout Nelson Cruz here a lot. I thought nah he’s a terrible OF and the power wouldn’t last/contract he’s seeking too big too many years yada yada. Guy has lit it up, in Seattle of all places.

3. sfsarge said, on December 12, 2016 at 7:30 am

Flavor, I’m intrigued on how you managed to get yourself blocked by these best writers. Did you call them out for not asking the tough questions?

• Flavor said, on December 12, 2016 at 7:31 am

Various reasons, but yes, calling them out on not doing their job was the primary theme. Baggs is the only one who hasn’t blocked me.

• sfsarge said, on December 12, 2016 at 8:50 am

That’s pretty thin skinned.

4. blade3colorado said, on December 12, 2016 at 7:31 am

I really love Andrew McCutchen’s character. Yes, he is bothered and upset by all the trade talk. However, he also is being positive about the situation, saying, “My dream is to be a Pirate my whole career. My dream is still to win multiple World Series. We all have those dreams.” He also said, “You’re going to have your off years, but it’s all about what you do and how you come back from that. I’m looking forward to this season. I’m ready to go.” I have to believe he has a very good chance of doing that. Even though McCutchen, who won the National League MVP award in 2013, is coming off his worst major league season, posting career lows in batting average (.256), on-base percentage (.336) and slugging percentage (.430). He also had 24 home runs and 79 RBIs. I hope he has a great season! He’s a good guy.

Down with what Flavor said about Turner, albeit, Willie makes a couple of good points too, e.g., citing Nelson Cruz and Frank Robinson. Noted. However, come on – the dude’s 32 years old and as Flavor indicated, this dude just all of a sudden hits 27 bombs and no one is questioning that? Sorry, I’m not buying that he can continue to rake much past next season (if that). His OBP went down again last season (.339) and his lifetime OBP of .348 was skewed by a very high OBP of .404 in 2014.

5. chipower9 said, on December 12, 2016 at 7:32 am

I agree with Flav on Turner. Four years? No fucking way.

What a pathetic piece of shit by the Niners. I meant to log-on and share a story about the Niners due to an add for them on KNBR Friday afternoon. The genesis of the add was “What better way to get the ship back on course than to have the NY Jets visit” or something to that effect. So, they were telling me that the Niners suck so bad, that they need one of the most inept teams in the NFL to help get them back on track? And then they laid that turd yesterday?! What a total piece of shit.

I did hear a news piece that said Baalke is probably out. Really? I sure as fuck hope so. He should have been canned years ago. And the new GM will make the call on Kelly (I am not sold on Chip being at the helm). This team needs a total make-over, including new ownership. I will always be a Niner fan, but the current situation is just way beyond awful…

6. chipower9 said, on December 12, 2016 at 7:33 am

WillieD – Not sure Turner is significantly better (even with a decline) than any current Giants IFer.

Turner has been with the bums for three years now. First year, 7 HR, next year 16, and last year 27. These years are also the ONLY years in which his OPS has been over .800.

Four years with the Mets, he hit 0, 2, 2, and 4 HRs. His OPS in those years was ,472, .690, .711, and .704.

Juiced? Uh, just maybe. At 32…no way in hell I give the cat a four-year deal.

• willedav said, on December 12, 2016 at 8:00 am

I understand concerns going forward, but what other Giants IF beside Belt is even close to .800? Panik couldn’t make .700 last year, Craw’s HR total went from 21 down to 12 and Nunez at best is .740+, like Gillaspie. I think Turner at 3b can do way more than that, just my opinion.
      Like someone said, if you ain’t cheatin (and Turner ain’t been caught yet if he is), you ain’t tryin.

7. Bozo said, on December 12, 2016 at 7:41 am

“This is from one of the many Giants beat writers who have blocked me on twitter:” – That cracked me up.

You must not be their “cuppa lapsang souchong to go with smoked provolone and a thin slice of cucumber on a club cracker.”

8. blade3colorado said, on December 12, 2016 at 8:02 am

Looking forward to the Dodgers signing Turner and Jansen. Total tax bill: $63.8 million if they do sign them. The Dodgers’ overall tax payments from 2013 to 2015 totaled $81.6 million. HAHAHA . . .

According to Baseball-Reference.com, the Dodgers’ current estimated payroll for 2017 is about $193 million, but that’s without the possible re-signings of Justin Turner and Kenley Jansen, not to mention any other high-salaried additions. Per Jayson Stark, if the Dodgers don’t get their 2017 payroll under $235 million, it appears as if their tax rate would rise to an astounding 92 (yes, ninety-two) percent as a third-time offender subject to a 50 percent tax plus a 42 percent “surtax” for being $40 million over the threshold.

Cha Ching!

• willedav said, on December 12, 2016 at 8:13 am

well I’m not. These are 2 dang good players I’d like to see to playing in Korea or somewhere they can’t F up the Giants next year. Ante up or fold and go dumpster dive if you don’t want in the game.

I just see a weird dichotomy in thinking. Giants are all supposed to get healthier and improve like Panik Span Pence and Specs and unproven kids like Mac and Parker (who hit .223 last year) are supposed to be upgrade over Pagan (who had nice .750-ish OPS last year), yet good players they are interested in Cutch Turner Fowler are supposed to fall apart.

• blade3colorado said, on December 12, 2016 at 8:43 am

Dodgers? Umm . . . I’m more worried about the Rockies, whom are loaded with a good, young starting pitching staff and hitters up and down the line up. I still think they upgrade 1st base and their bullpen. Some are still speculating that Trumbo goes to the Sherpas and Desmond fills a Ben Zobrist-like super utility role. However, what’s really scary is their minor league prospect list, with Hoffman (dealt to them by Toronto in the Tulo trade) leading the pack; along with SS Brendan Rodgers, who is a top-10 overall prospect after hitting 19 home runs at age 19 in the South Atlantic League with solid contact skills. Per ESPN, if the Rockies believe in Trevor Story, Rodgers could be bait to acquire that front-end starter they’re always unable to sign in free agency. Outfielder Raimel Tapia has already reached the majors, and right-hander Riley Pint — the fourth overall pick in 2016 — could complete the deal.

Not saying that the Dodgers wont be in the mix for the Division championship or wild card. Of course they will, but everyone is forgetting the Rockies . . . and I’m the one that usually is down on the Sherpas for their cheap spending ownership. Not this season, i.e., they are spending coin and are going to make noise next season. You heard it here first.

• Bozo said, on December 12, 2016 at 10:07 am

I’m not sure how deep the Dodgers can go into the FA market with MLB’s debt-service rule.

9. unca_chuck said, on December 12, 2016 at 8:27 am

As has been proven over and over, simply spending rarely works. I think that it is fairly safe to assume that Panik and Crawfish have healthier years. And better ones. Belt will be Belt. Posey the same.

Pence? He’s where I get concerned. Our OF is duct tape and bailing wire at this point. What can we expect from Span? Anything? Parker at least drives shit occasionally. Williamson should be fine off the bench.

10. willedav said, on December 12, 2016 at 8:39 am

If you think Turner’s numbers are odd, just because he’s on hated rival, take a look at Panik.
    First season 1 HR in 269 ABs, next 2 (injury plagued with muscle issue in neck/back) 18 HRs in 835 ABs.
    OPS goes from .711 to .833 to .695. I mean if he wasn’t much beloved Giant, that’s a little odd.
    WAR value 1.1 3.3 1.1–total 5.5 with 60% of that in one season.

11. blade3colorado said, on December 12, 2016 at 8:54 am

Interesting comments by Keith Law . . .Unable to get the entire Insider column, but what is available is fascinating and IMO, he is absolutely right:

“When the St. Louis Cardinals gave Brett Cecil four years, I wrote about the awful track record of relievers who received deals of that length. Of the 12 I could find since the turn of the century, four were terrible, one more is headed that way (David Robertson), and four others have failed to provide good returns on their investments. It’s a poor risk even within the world of long-term pitching contracts, which are inherently risky due to the nature of pitcher health. You just don’t give relievers four years. And yet this winter we might see three or even four guys get that kind of contract.

I thought Mark Melancon was worthy of a one-year deal, a good reliever with a history of injuries earlier in his career and some subtle signs of declining skills over the past two seasons. He’s 31 and has lost some fastball velocity over the past few years, switching to a cutter as his primary pitch to compensate. That pitch became much less effective at getting ground balls last season, and he’s around only league-average at missing bats. He should still be a solid late-game relief option in 2017, maybe into 2018, but there’s no way I’d bet on him retaining his value over the next four years. To give any reliever four years willfully ignores the history of such contracts, and to do it with Melancon willfully ignores his own history as well.”

12. unca_chuck said, on December 12, 2016 at 9:01 am

It’s the market. They wouldn’t be able to sign anyone if they went by historical patterns. They aren’t really counting on 4 years anyway. They get 2 good years and all is well.

Sure, you don’t see Kevin Brown 15 year type deals anymore, but if the market bears it, they’ll happen again.

13. Flavor said, on December 12, 2016 at 9:41 am

Niner pride

14. Flavor said, on December 12, 2016 at 9:47 am

Apparently, not much is needed to get panties ruffled if you are Tim Kawakami, Alex Pavlovic or the ultra sensitive Henry Schulman. And it really is a bullshit response from them. While those are private twitter accounts they are representing the publishing companies that are responsible for their high level of followers. If someone wrote a letter to the editor complaining about the newspaper it would get published. The newspaper wouldn’t start crying like a girl and cancel the subscription of the guy who wrote the letter. I understand that’s not a perfect analogy but still….
    Whatever, I am missing NOTHING by not being able to follow them. They get scooped repeatedly by national media types…..

15. Flavor said, on December 12, 2016 at 9:54 am

Blade, I’m curious why you are hot on the Rockies right now. They still have to deal with the altitude and all the drain and drag that has on the body over the course of a full season. I don’t see why anything would change just because they have better players. Right?

• blade3colorado said, on December 12, 2016 at 10:29 am

Their young starting pitching is a plus. Some think this staff potentially is the best group of pitchers they have ever assembled in their short 20 plus year history. Yes, as you noted, “they still have to deal with the altitude and all the drain and drag that has on the body over the course of a full season.” However, if this pitching staff can have an ERA under 4.32 (season ERA during their 2007 World Series run), then it has a chance to compete. They won 90 games in 2007, so I think they are capable of doing that.

What doesn’t make sense this off-season, is the Desmond pick-up. They over paid ($70 million, 5 years) and more importantly, gave up a 1st round pick, for a player who has never played 1st base. This is dumb not only in my opinion, but by others – who believe the Rockies would have been better served by going after bullpen help. That being said, this could be part 1 of a 2 part plan (as I alluded to in my earlier post). In short, they may not be done dealing for pieces this off season. Dunno.

• unca_chuck said, on December 12, 2016 at 10:32 am

Back in the day the 49ers (and Rams) played NFC West games in Atlanta and NO. This required 3-4x the travel times of other teams in the league. It led Eddie D to chartering flights and getting bigger seats and treating the players better to adjust to all the travel.

Sure the great players helped but also doing what you can about the situation you are in to make it more comfortable on the players is worth it. Hyberbaric chambers for all!

• chipower9 said, on December 12, 2016 at 11:03 am

For the foreseeable future, how about brown paper bags for the first 40K fans at the game. Oh wait, do they even draw 40K for a typical game? No way that franchise gets a dime of my money while they suck balls as badly as they do now…

• unca_chuck said, on December 12, 2016 at 12:05 pm

Me and my son at the TB game . . . that’s Irish Kevin in the middle. A mini Ninersforeverpalooza . . . Note the empty stands. At halftime.

IMG_6595

16. Macdog said, on December 12, 2016 at 11:30 am

ESPN’s Jim Bowden first on this: Jansen and Dodgers agree on 5yr $80m deal according to Dodgers source confirmed.

• blade3colorado said, on December 12, 2016 at 11:42 am

Interesting that (unbeknownst to me previously) Jansen was converted from a catcher to a reliever by the Dodgers while still in the minor leagues, which proves my premise that they are not drafted as closers. Can Trevor Brown pitch???? 🙂

• Macdog said, on December 12, 2016 at 11:43 am

Failed starters and catchers!

• Flavor said, on December 12, 2016 at 11:47 am

Joe Nathan was a shortstop in the minors…..

• djloo27 said, on December 12, 2016 at 12:05 pm

Felix Rodriguez was also a catcher…

• Bozo said, on December 12, 2016 at 12:20 pm

And on the other side of the coin, Posey pitched some in college, 6 saves.

17. alleykat69 said, on December 12, 2016 at 12:04 pm

Jeff Fisher Fired!!!!
    How stupid are the Rams anyway paying him a 2 year extension last week then dumping his sorry ass today?

• Flavor said, on December 12, 2016 at 12:41 pm

that is HILARIOUS. Talk about clueless management.

• chipower9 said, on December 12, 2016 at 1:43 pm

Almost as clueless as the Niner’s management…

18. blade3colorado said, on December 12, 2016 at 2:20 pm

Anyone have (rational) thoughts about Lane Kiffin getting another shot at being a head coach (at Florida Atlantic)? If you hate him, tell me exactly why he will fail . . . Thanks.

Personally, I like the guy’s ability to coach, despite his controversies on and off the field, including his sometimes inability to avoid problems with owners, athletic directors and presidents. Again, I don’t follow college or NFL football, but it seems like he did an outstanding job at Alabama, getting three different first-year starters ready at quarterback, including true freshman Jalen Hurts this season.

19. sfsarge said, on December 12, 2016 at 3:15 pm

Long story short, this article is claiming that Jed will no longer be in charge of the football operations, and they are going to bring in a football person to oversee the football side. If this happens I will proudly welcome the professional football team of Santa Clara back into my good graces and maybe pony up for some tickets.

20. djloo27 said, on December 12, 2016 at 5:03 pm

Willie: Regarding the Frank Robinson deal, I couldn’t remember the name of the Reds GM, so I had to look it up. It was Bill DeWitt. What I didn’t know is that he apparently was misquoted on the infamous “old 30” line. Here’s a couple of links below with some good stuff about that trade and the line.

My most vivid Frank Robinson memory is from the final game of the 1969 World Series. It’s nothing crazy – just an oddity that I never forgot. If you’re bored, scroll to the 1:29:50 mark and watch ensuing bizarre few minutes…

• willedav said, on December 12, 2016 at 8:03 pm

Thx man, didn’t remember that one. Goes without saying, more to the Robinson trade than met the eye and he certainly had the last laugh.

21. Flavor said, on December 12, 2016 at 5:49 pm

for Kokonuts

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeyman 2m2 minutes ago
    Emmanuel burriss signs minors deal with nats

• snarkk said, on December 12, 2016 at 6:16 pm

Seriously, how in hell could Manny Burris have been a Giants first round pick? A fly has more power…

22. djloo27 said, on December 12, 2016 at 6:25 pm

As long as we’re basically bringing back the same team, a one-year deal for Angel Pagan would make a ton of sense to me…

• snarkk said, on December 12, 2016 at 6:33 pm

Agreed, for the right price. Incentive laden including games played. Figure at least two stints on the 15 day DL…

23. snarkk said, on December 12, 2016 at 6:27 pm

Niners would be far better off if they fired Rasputin (Baalke) right now and hired Chuck as GM…

• djloo27 said, on December 12, 2016 at 6:31 pm

I don’t know much about the Niners, but it seems like nothing’s gone right since Beyonce blew out the power at the Super Bowl…

24. snarkk said, on December 12, 2016 at 6:37 pm

Harbs rumored to be in line for Rams HC job for monstrous payday…

25. snarkk said, on December 12, 2016 at 6:44 pm

Watching Pats v Ravens on brewpub big screen. Amazing how a team with an actual quality QB can move the ball. Brady is pinpoint like Montana, the receiver gets the ball in full stride without having to reach back or forward, even with a defender all over him. Thing is, Brady rarely gets touched or hurried, his protection is amazingly good. I haven’t seen him have to scramble once yet in nearly a half of football …

26. pawliekokonuts said, on December 12, 2016 at 6:52 pm

Manny Burriss signing duly noted.

As for Stix’s post, his point is well taken: language is organic; it evolves despite the efforts of the Academy (as in France).

27. Flavor said, on December 12, 2016 at 7:20 pm

this should douse any hopes 49er fans have of actual change occurring…..

• snarkk said, on December 12, 2016 at 8:29 pm

Expecting Denise and Dr. Dork to come in and fix things, given their track record, is like bringing in the Giants 2016 Pen in the 9th in game 4 of a playoff up 5-2, and expecting good things to happen…

28. Flavor said, on December 12, 2016 at 7:22 pm

Excellent news
    BREAKING: AP Exclusive: Major League Baseball outlaws “offensive” hazing; no more dressing rookies as women or female characters.

• unca_chuck said, on December 12, 2016 at 8:20 pm

Dragging baseball grudgingly into the 1980s . . .

• snarkk said, on December 12, 2016 at 8:25 pm

Kruk and Kuip will be pissed off…

29. unca_chuck said, on December 12, 2016 at 10:04 pm

Snarkk, I’d take that as a compliment, but a blind monkey with a dartboard would do better!

• snarkk said, on December 12, 2016 at 10:46 pm

Chuck, I know it would be hard to avoid, but I doubt you’d draft any dudes with a torn ACL; so you’d already be ahead of the curve…

• unca_chuck said, on December 12, 2016 at 10:49 pm

Ahhhhhh. It wiorked once with Frank Gore (by someone else) so let’s fail 8 times trying to repeat. Drafting a shitty punter no one on Earth would have drafted also just baffled me.

30. snarkk said, on December 12, 2016 at 10:45 pm

Loo, as for baloney sandwich tips, I’d rather go with a nice olive loaf, thinly sliced, on wheat, with lettuce, tomato and thin sliced red onion with a nice deli mustard…

• unca_chuck said, on December 12, 2016 at 10:46 pm

Lightly fry the baloney in a cup of lard . . .

• snarkk said, on December 12, 2016 at 10:48 pm