Devalued Dollars

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 13, 2016

So the Dodgers just spent close to 200 million dollars re-signing 3 guys they already had on last year’s team? And they didn’t sign 3 “Kershaws”. You could poke holes into each of those 3 guys and if I was a fan I would have wanted more for nearly a quarter billion scratch.

#FreeStix RPOTD

Carstie Clausen said, on May 25, 2016 at 11:45 am (Edit)

One of those occasional meatless mornings for me. Kinda. Few days ago i steam-sauteed down some fresh garden veggies like spinach and bunching onions along with some small peppers (3 mild, 1 japaleno). Meanwhile i stirred up a batter featuring some Indian Head cornmeal from Maryland (no GMO and maybe even organic); plenty of oat-bran; some rye flour; bit of whole wheat flour; one farm egg; Rumford’s (non-alumina based) baking powder and considerably more milk than water.

Veggies ready, they got folded into the batter along with a full can of pre-Fuckyoushima radiation-free, Alaska pink salmon (been hoarding those) stirred it all up and them spooned into my original Griswold #10 skillet dabbled with olive oil atop the wood cookstove.

Served it up with a bit of raunch dressing for a side-dip and a cup of strainer-seeped heavy-duty coffee. Got 4 meals from it over the past 5 days or so with enough batter combo remaining for one more go.

1. willedav said, on December 13, 2016 at 8:18 am

yes, in theory LA has the same guys they are just paying more for them. I care a lot less about what billionaires choose to spend on their team than what the product on the field looks like.
    Giants solved one issue this off season and have spent a lot of $$$ on pitching. But their offense let them down last year, and now Evans says, “The luxury tax ate my LU.”
    Maybe some help comes via trade market.

Meanwhile Stix post sounds like something out of Frank Zappa’s Call on Any Vegetable.

• chipower9 said, on December 13, 2016 at 10:12 am

Loved Frank. Saw him live in Sacramento (Memorial Auditorium) late 1981. Great show…

Here he is with the Mothers doing Call Any Vegetable live at the Fillmore back in the day…What a line-up: Ainsley Dunbar, George Duke…members of the Turtles…the list goes on. Great stuff…

2. gianthead said, on December 13, 2016 at 8:31 am

Those were three moves the Fodgers had to make. I very surprised the Nats didn’t blow Jansen away with am offer. There was mention they offered just $5 mill more and that money would be deferred so Jansen decided to stay. I would expect they are the favorites to win the division if we are going with Spam and a Mac Park platoon.

3. willedav said, on December 13, 2016 at 8:34 am

MLBTR says Burriss numbers last year: .263/.296/.309.
    That’s at AAA ball, a .605 OPS. Hope he’s got a back up plan.

Akin to NBA, notice more and more guys jumping out of college early to get to NFL, where careers are much shorter and players more prone to devastating injury. Unlike b-ball not much going on overseas, so you are either in or out of football unless you want to go to Canada. Hope some of these guys took advantage of their free college education.

Cal state HS football playoffs this weekend. Napoleon Kaufman leads 14-1 Bishop O’Dowd of Oaktown into one.

4. snarkk said, on December 13, 2016 at 8:36 am

What is it that makes the Giants think playing the same outfield as last season, probably minus Pagan, will give the team better outfield production for 2017? If Parker and Williamson were really good, they would have been up long before, and even Bochy would have played them more over a supposed injured Blanco. So far, the 2017 outfield moves look like Stand Pat and Lux Tax…

5. unca_chuck said, on December 13, 2016 at 9:03 am

Having a healthy Pence?

• chipower9 said, on December 13, 2016 at 10:14 am

And a healthy Span…and hopefully more development from McPark…

6. willedav said, on December 13, 2016 at 9:26 am

You guys buy into the window to compete argument? Could this be the year to go for everything with problems coming down the road–rotation spots (if Cueto leaves), OF, Posey move, lack of prospects among position players other than Arroyo.

Dodgers have prospects, lot of money coming off books next year and some good young guys led by Seager, Rockies seem on the verge of competing to get into playoffs too, esp if Black is able to mold pitching staff.

7. mrsprtdude said, on December 13, 2016 at 9:30 am

Glass half full or empty. That is baseball. “Our” injured guys will bounce back, be healthy, and the young guys will blossom. “Their” guys can’t stay healthy, will start their downhill slides, fail to develop because if the were good they would be up long ago….Can’t wait till spring…

• zumiee said, on December 13, 2016 at 9:45 am

It’s kind of harsh to say, but I look forward to Adrian Gonzalez’s decline in the future at some point. He’s been a pain in the neck to the Giants for so many years, including almost derailing the Giants’ magical 2010 season. He’s the key to the Dodgers batting order, the solid rock in the middle of that lineup. Father Time has to catch up to him at SOME point.

• Flavor said, on December 13, 2016 at 9:46 am

I always assume everyone is going to get hurt. If I was running the team, that approach would help us. It would force me to consider back up plans that get a little more detailed than fucking Agent 000 running around the infield plugging holes and striking out every at bat…..

8. Bozo said, on December 13, 2016 at 9:57 am

So I guess I was wrong about LA having to comply with MLB’s debt-service rule. Fuck Manfred.

9. chipower9 said, on December 13, 2016 at 10:17 am

Given that it does not appear that Sabevans will go chase a JD Martinez-type OFer, I am down with Loo’s post (6:25 PM) yesterday on Pagan…to bring him back on an inexpensive incentive-laden contract.

~67 daze until pitchers and catchers report. Play Ball!

10. chipower9 said, on December 13, 2016 at 10:20 am

RE: the recent stories that Dr. Dork and Denise are going to take Jed’s play toys away and hire a real President to oversee football operations (and hire a GM that knows what the fuck he is doing)…

Well, I ain’t holding my fucking breath. The Dorks have proven time and time again that it is more about “we are family” and preserving their profit margins over putting a competitive product on the field. Fuck ’em all!

I will always love my team, but until I see real change, those cocksuckers will not see one penny of my fucking money.

11. Flavor said, on December 13, 2016 at 10:24 am

• sfsarge said, on December 13, 2016 at 12:34 pm

That just made my day

• chipower9 said, on December 13, 2016 at 12:41 pm

Will not play on the work computer…maybe a firewall issue. Will have to check it out via my iPad…

• gianthead said, on December 13, 2016 at 6:25 pm

Wtf???

12. sandog said, on December 13, 2016 at 11:08 am

I think many of you are kidding yourselves with the “Span played hurt last year” narrative. I would again expect him to hit around .270 this year with similar accompanying numbers and outfield play.
    If you think he is going to “bounce back” and hit .318 like he’s Von Joshua in 1975 (that was for James), it ain’t happening. He is what he is—and I am fine with that.
    Good points by Willie recently IMO re the Dodgers. Yes, it is easy to point fingers and say they are wasting money. In the meantime, they have reloaded a roster that has won the division four years in a row.

• zumiee said, on December 13, 2016 at 11:54 am

True, but another year older with some key older guys, and still need to get a 2B.
      2017 Dodger lineup so far:
      LF- Toles/Ethier/Van Slyke
      RF- Puig/ Thompson
      3B- Turner
      SS- Seager
      1B- Gonzalez
      C- Grandal
      CF- Pederson
      2B- ??
      P- Kershaw, Hill, Maeda, Kazmir, Urias
      4 left-handed starting pitches again, probably.

• Flavor said, on December 13, 2016 at 12:17 pm

As his season goes down the drain next year I am going to make it my Summer’s mission to get you to text me something negative about Your Man Span. It will be done.

• chipower9 said, on December 13, 2016 at 12:46 pm

The Giants are not getting an upgrade here, and it is a known fact that Span was not fully recovered from his surgery of the prior season, so if he stays healthy and gives us 150 starts or so, comes in around his lifetime averages (284 .350 .393 .742), and plays a solid CF, then I am good with that.

13. willedav said, on December 13, 2016 at 12:35 pm

Last year saw explosion of HRs across almost all baseball, except of course for Giants, led by Belt (!) at 18.
    Dodgers, for all their faults, hit a ton of them and seemed to be able to bail themselves out with long ball when pitching went awry.

Flav, I like your 9:46 about being prepared for injuries. So if Span’s season does indeed go down the drain as you put it, then who plays CF on regular basis?

• chipower9 said, on December 13, 2016 at 12:49 pm

That is why I said earlier that I am with Loo’s post from last night on bringing back Pagan on the cheap with an incentive laden short contract. If the brass can get it done, I think it would be a smart move.

RE: home runs, this team has proven they do not need to hit bombs to win. Solid pitching + keep the conga line moving, and they will be fine.

• alleykat69 said, on December 13, 2016 at 2:11 pm

Right now Willied expect a heavy dose of Gorky Hernandez in CF once Span craters!

• gianthead said, on December 13, 2016 at 6:27 pm

It is all Gorkys…

14. zumiee said, on December 13, 2016 at 3:11 pm

Fun fact- the Giants starting lineup on opening day of the 2010 season was:
    CF- Rowand
    SS- Renteria
    3B- Sandoval
    1B- Huff
    LF- DeRosa
    C- Molina
    RF- Bowker
    2B- Uribe
    P- Lincecum
    Timmy pitched 7 shut-out innings, as the Giants defeated the Astros, 5-2.

• djloo27 said, on December 13, 2016 at 3:53 pm

I have no recollection of DeRosa in a Giant uniform.
      I wouldn’t know him if he was sitting in my lap…

• Flavor said, on December 13, 2016 at 5:39 pm

I used to make jokes all the time about how he could never hit the ball far enough for it to reach the wsll. Ba ha. Seriously hilarious stuff.

• snarkk said, on December 13, 2016 at 7:42 pm

I recollect him and his friggin $6 million wrist very well. Unfortunately.
        I’d rather have his wife sitting in my lap…

15. sfsarge said, on December 13, 2016 at 5:48 pm

MDR, my only recollection of him is being on the DL.

Sarge is getting a midweek skink on at my fave happy hour. Taking Mrs. Sarge and the Sargettes to go see The Lion King tonight.

Speaking of getting a good skink on http://www.northbaybrewerytours.com we went this past weekend and it was fantastic. A tour bus with a keg on it taking you from brewery to brewery for 6 hours. Had a blast and drank so much beer.

16. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on December 13, 2016 at 6:55 pm

There is no way the Giants go into Spring Training with the current (last year’s) OF. No way. Very late in off-season in ’02, they went out and got Reggie Sanders (after re-inking Schmidt and Bonds), a move that put them (almost) over the top in the end. I’ve stopped anticipating nearly every morning in the news that they nabbed a good OF starter, but it has to happen i the next month or so. Sabevans cannot be that stupid to get burned again with a severely aging OF and no real bench when the inevitable happens. Cannot. Please. Say it ain’t so….

• snarkk said, on December 13, 2016 at 7:45 pm

He likely will. Giants have proven they don’t care a lot about stocking up on a strong, productive OF starting and utility unit. Right now, it’s a “hope” that wifey-emasculated video-man Pence, supposedly healing Span, and the two headed, untested ParkerWill hydra in LF will prove enough to put the OF in middle of NL pack for OF production…

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on December 13, 2016 at 7:52 pm

Well, if they would’ve played MacParker more in the 2nd half of the season after they performed somewhat admirably in the 1st half, we’d all know a bit more than we do now about what to expect from them. As it is, we’re pretty much right where we were a year ago, except some people expected more than we eventually got from Span. Gotta remember, though, Pence performed very well at first, before he got hurt. So, there’s that…

17. willedav said, on December 13, 2016 at 8:12 pm

Gorkys Hernandez, lol. We’re talking epitome of dumpster dive/replacement level player. He’s 29 years old with a total of 235 ml ABs, so no other org has ever thought he deserved much of a shot..
    In those his career BA is .205 and OPS .609.
    Last year he hit 2 HRs in 54 ABs, same as Triple O and had dang near same BA in .250s. Seemed to run well but stole 0 bases with 1 CS.
    Definitely not a walk off the island guy, with 3 BBs in 57 PAs.
    Just a sneaking suspicion, but I don’t think we’re looking at second coming of Andres Torres.

• Macdog said, on December 13, 2016 at 8:15 pm

Monmouth just beat Tubby Smith’s Memphis on the road.

• willedav said, on December 13, 2016 at 9:19 pm

wow nice! Still unbeaten in conference right?
        Couple nights ago Pac 12 with some embarrassing losses, including Oregon St losing at home to Savannah St out of the MEAC. 2-3 years ago (gotta look this up) this school lost like 28 in a row.

• Flavor said, on December 13, 2016 at 8:18 pm

i might start doing polls again. If I do, I’ll throw one out about who is preferred of these 3 youngish, whelming talents……

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on December 13, 2016 at 8:42 pm

I can answer the poll already: Player to be named later.

18. unca_chuck said, on December 13, 2016 at 9:46 pm

Jose Uribe will always be my favorite player to be named later.

19. unca_chuck said, on December 13, 2016 at 9:47 pm

Because he changed his name after he was . . . . .

20. unca_chuck said, on December 13, 2016 at 9:49 pm

Ahhh nevermind.

21. snarkk said, on December 13, 2016 at 9:59 pm

As predicted, this morning Kruk called the new anti-hazing MLB policy a “joke” and that nobody is offended by players wearing women’s clothing as a joke. Now, he mentioned that HE never did that, the only thing he was forced to do was get up and sing. The women’s clothing deal came later, after he retired from being a player. After Kruk’s segment, the KNBR guys read a bunch of texts from people saying Kruk was FOS, they were offended because the meaning of it was an affront and demeaning to women…

22. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on December 13, 2016 at 10:17 pm

Actually, regarding MacParker, I had some hope (still do, a little) about Parker. I remember what was I think his first start in LF, I think he had some hits (maybe even a big one?) and had an OF assist. Cool. But he had a short leash, apparently. Mac has always seemed to me to be another Gary Brown, but could be wrong about that. Nah, I’m stickin’ with player to be named later.

23. sandog said, on December 13, 2016 at 10:31 pm

I actually remember that 2010 opener pretty well. DeRosa eaked out a homer down the right field line off ROy Oswalt. My parents were in town with my sister and we were all painting the inside of my house while the game was on. It was one of the last times I can remember my dad being able to contribute on a project like that.

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on December 13, 2016 at 10:41 pm

The only thing I remember about DeRosa was his at-bat when he reinjured his wrist on a little check swing and you could see him mouth the words “oh shit”…..