RIP

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 16, 2016

Very sad to see Craig Sager pass. I’ll never understand why guys like him die and lurking sickos like Dylann Roof continue to live. Anyway, I’m posting this mostly for me and Loo but this is a great article. It doesn’t get any more 70’s than sleeping in the barn with one of the finest steeds to ever hit the track.

1. willedav said, on December 16, 2016 at 7:26 am

Nice article, thx for sharing that. Kerr was obviously emotional over losing his broadcast buddy, Warriors did a cool thing before game to have him speak.

Game itself was never in doubt and Warriors got many easy baskets with great ball movement even though they didn’t shoot very well. Knicks have some pieces, not sure how they all fit together with Melo. Refs allowed players to play and Warriors got away with some rough treatment on Pors. The other Hernangomez looks like he knows what he’s doing.

Just for perspective, Knicks are playoff level team in the East. They lost tough game the other night to Phoenix in OT. Suns are 13th in the West at 8-18.

• Macdog said, on December 16, 2016 at 9:30 am

That was a terrible loss for NYK the other night. Even the Nets won in Phoenix.

2. chipower9 said, on December 16, 2016 at 8:30 am

That is a bad ass article and video, Flav. Thanks for sharing.

~63 days until pitchers and catchers report. Play Ball!

3. unca_chuck said, on December 16, 2016 at 8:31 am

Knicks are 3rd in the East at 14-12. If they were in the West they’d be 8th.

Again, the biggest impediment for the Warriors is running the gauntlet that is the West.

4. unca_chuck said, on December 16, 2016 at 8:37 am

Very cool article as well. I was never really big into horse racing but we’d go to Bay Meadows every once in a while for the cheap food/beer and the betting, and of course the awesome golf course.

Favorite horse? Hoof Hearted. . .

• gianthead said, on December 16, 2016 at 9:17 am

I think I’ve told this story before, but we started my bachelor party at Bay Meadows (well technically it started the night before at the Stick in ’98) and I won enough on parlays to keep buying everyone drinks and get us on our way to the City for the real party…

5. unca_chuck said, on December 16, 2016 at 8:39 am

Huh, Just read that Russell Baze retired this year. He was a mainstay at Bay Meadows and GGF . . .

6. djloo27 said, on December 16, 2016 at 8:42 am

Flavor: Thanks for that article. It hit me hard – that was my world in those days. I wish I had the ability to write about it, although most of you would probably be bored by it. Slew’s pre-race meal reads like a Stix recipe…

As far as the hockey thing on the last thread, Lundqvist was fair game but the hit was completely dirty and unnecessary. The guy should’ve been jumped immediately by every Ranger on the ice at the time. That’s not macho bullshit – it’s the way it is. I’m genuinely embarrassed to be a Ranger fan today. They deserve to be the laughingstock of the sports world…

• gianthead said, on December 16, 2016 at 9:14 am

Watching the replay..that goalie took a dive!!!! He would make every soccer player in Europe happy!! But regardless, every Ranger should have been on the ice throwing haymakers….

• Flavor said, on December 16, 2016 at 9:30 am

I knew you’d relate to it.

7. chipower9 said, on December 16, 2016 at 9:00 am

Thanks for the book recommendations (for Stix) from the last thread, fellas…

• gianthead said, on December 16, 2016 at 9:12 am

Chi, is he a Game of Thrones fan or Dan Brown? I don’t have the first book of the game of thrones series (I began reading the second book after watching the first season), but have a decent copy of the three of the others. I would also be happy to send him AN ALTERNATIVE HISTORY history from Harry Turtledove about WWII. I also have the first book of Stephen Donaldson’s great Thomas Covenant series…

• gianthead said, on December 16, 2016 at 9:12 am

Actually the alternative history series starts in WW I….

• chipower9 said, on December 16, 2016 at 10:58 am

GH – he simply mentioned “baseball, history, and science fiction” as three areas of interest for books. I provided details on how the books must be ordered and delivered to Stix, below.

8. gianthead said, on December 16, 2016 at 9:07 am

Great article about a great institution in the sports/ bball world. Makes me miss the days at Keeneland in Kentucky…I need to get back there!!!

9. zumiee said, on December 16, 2016 at 9:27 am

GH, is that the Turtledove series that starts with the South winning the Civil War and goes from there? It’s a tremendous series. By the time it gets to WWI, the North and South are on different sides during WWI, and there’s trench warfare in the U.S. Very interesting series, well-written, with interesting characters, some of them from real history- Lincoln, Mark Twain, Custer, etc., and how things could have played out differently if that Confederate officer hadn’t wrapped the Confederate battle plan for Antietam around a couple of cigars, and then accidentally dropped the wrapped cigars, which were found by Union soldiers, who got the battle plan to the Union generals. A true event.

• gianthead said, on December 16, 2016 at 9:29 am

Exactly zum…I love all the characters and have read through 7 of the books I think. 3 to go still…

• gianthead said, on December 16, 2016 at 9:35 am

Zum…actually I was referring to the series that actually starts in WW I. But is based on the North and South fighting to a draw in the civil war and the series begins with tensions building up to WWI beginning. So maybe the two book series are tied together and I did not realize it…

• gianthead said, on December 16, 2016 at 9:38 am

First book is titles American Front…The Great War series…

10. unca_chuck said, on December 16, 2016 at 9:46 am

PK Dick (speaking of him) wrote Man in the High Castle about the US losing WW II and the aftermath 20 years later. Great book.

11. djloo27 said, on December 16, 2016 at 10:01 am

We can send books to Stix?

• alleykat69 said, on December 16, 2016 at 11:14 am

Even hollowed out books for weapon concealment????

12. chipower9 said, on December 16, 2016 at 10:51 am

So, I sent Stix two books:

“The Glory of Their Times: The Story of the Early Days of Baseball Told by the Men Who Played It”

and

“Kick the Balls: A Bruising Season in the Life of a Suburban Soccer Coach” by Alan Black

Black wrote for the Chronicle for some time. He is a transplanted Scotsman. You DO NOT have to be a soccer fan to enjoy this book. It is probably the FUNNIEST book I have ever read. Highly recommended if you have not read it.

When I first read “Kick the Balls” Gail and I would be lying in bed reading, and I would just uncontrollably begin laughing out loud. This would happen a few times, and then Gail would look over with the “Stank Eye” and say, “if you laugh out loud one more time, you have to go to the spare bedroom.” Needless to say, there were nights where I had to get my ass outta bed, and go to the living room to read…could not control the laughter…

13. chipower9 said, on December 16, 2016 at 10:53 am

ANYONE can send books to Stix (or write him).

To send books, they MUST be ordered through Amazon, and MUST be soft copy.

The address to which you would send the Amazon order (or to write Stix) is:

Carstie Clausen
    Sherburne County Jail
    13880 Business Center Drive NW
    Elk River, Minnesota 55330

• djloo27 said, on December 16, 2016 at 11:04 am

Thanks, Chi…

• chipower9 said, on December 16, 2016 at 11:10 am

You are welcome, Loo. Stix would get an absolute charge out of hearing from you.

• djloo27 said, on December 16, 2016 at 11:16 am

Who wouldn’t?

• chipower9 said, on December 16, 2016 at 1:45 pm

LULZ…

I know I would! I mean hell…that would be one of those stories you share with the grand kids…

• gianthead said, on December 16, 2016 at 11:07 am

Oh damn, so can’t send him spare copeies…thanks Chi…

• chipower9 said, on December 16, 2016 at 11:09 am

Unfortunately, no. They must be ordered/sent through Amazon (this from his public defender).

14. zumiee said, on December 16, 2016 at 11:17 am

GH, here’s the full extent of the series, and “How Few Remain” can be considered the start of the series, the pre-quel, which deals with the Confederacy winning independence, and introduces characters that continue into the next book.

How Few Remain (1997)

The Great War trilogy
    American Front (1998)
    Walk in Hell (1999)
    Breakthroughs (2000)

The American Empire trilogy
    Blood and Iron (2001)
    The Center Cannot Hold (2002)
    The Victorious Opposition (2003)

The Settling Accounts tetralogy
    Return Engagement (2004)
    Drive to the East (2005)
    The Grapple (2006)
    In at the Death (2007)

• gianthead said, on December 16, 2016 at 1:56 pm

So How Few Remain is a solo book. Makes sense. Just checked my book collection and realize I have completed 8nof the books. Did you read the whole series?

15. wilcojoe said, on December 16, 2016 at 1:35 pm

On the topic of Craig Sager and books, his death today really shook me. I think I have mentioned here before that my step dad (not my dad that some of you briefly met during the World Series in front of AT&T) is battling stage 4 kidney cancer. Both Sager and my stepdad were/are avid NBA fans, and fans of sports in general. Both were/are being treated at MD Anderson Cancer Center here in Houston. And most similarily, both were/are fighting for their life against this most fucked up of diseases. On our many visits together to MD Anderson, we had often hoped we might run into Craig Sager while waiting for an MRI or chemo treatment.

This past July, after sneaking off to catch a few innings of an Astros game between doctor appointments, we watched ESPN that night only to find a story on Craig Sager doing the very same thing a couple weeks earlier. With his medical ID wristband still intact just like my stepdad, he was taking in a few innings of an Astros game between his endless day of doctor appointments. It was almost too surreal to think of the mutual connection without getting choked up.

Anyway, I just ordered his Chrstimas present on Amazon. “Living out loud, Sports, Cancer and the things worth fighting for” by Craig Sager.

• gianthead said, on December 16, 2016 at 1:57 pm

Sorry to hear if that awful battle wilco…thankfully have not had a family member go through such a cancer fight…

• chipower9 said, on December 16, 2016 at 2:49 pm

Blessings to you and yours, Wilco. Cancer Sucks.

16. gianthead said, on December 16, 2016 at 1:43 pm

Ok I just saw that hockey hit on full screen tv replay and he definitely took one in the chops…nice Ranger teammates to come to his defense…

• unca_chuck said, on December 16, 2016 at 2:56 pm

Yeah that wasn’t a flop by any means. Coulda been Ronnie Lott lowering the boom.

17. unca_chuck said, on December 16, 2016 at 2:57 pm

Sorry to hear that Wilco. Seems to be an awful lot of bad news going around this year.

• wilcojoe said, on December 16, 2016 at 6:30 pm

Thanks guys. Yeah, 2016 can’t end soon enough.

18. zumiee said, on December 16, 2016 at 6:27 pm

GH, I haven’t read the last 2 yet. I have The Grapple on a bookshelf rarin’ to go and just haven’t gotten to it yet.

19. djloo27 said, on December 16, 2016 at 10:47 pm

20. djloo27 said, on December 16, 2016 at 11:13 pm

I hope Stix is nice and warm wherever he is.
    Genius incarcerated…