Dreaming About A Dude

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 19, 2016

I saw a poll at mlbtraderumors.com asking readers to predict where Mark Trumbo might go. There were 6 teams listed and the 7th choice was “mystery team.” I’m on vacation for a couple of weeks so I will take the time to relax and dream about the Giants being one of the teams in that poll (which they weren’t). Ah….that feels good.

He can’t play the outfield you say? Fine. Stick him at first base. Move Belt to LF. I know that has zero chance of happening but it’s my vacation and my dream. So let’s continue….

Can you imagine Trumbo and his 47 homeruns getting blasted out of AT&T Park? He really wouldn’t even cost that much. He’s seeking a paltry 70 million dollar deal. I say, pay that man his money. But Flavor, his HR total would take a big hit at in SF.

I don’t think so. Have you seen how far that dude hits home runs? Some only come down when they run into Chinese satellites.

Oh yes, I want Mark Trumbo to become a Giant, play first base and hit home runs that don’t come down until they run into Chinese satellites. That’s the dream…..

________________

#freestix! RPOTD. I’ve been posting too many retros about food. Time to get back to the meat and potatoes of Stix posts. lqtm

Carstie Clausen said, on May 5, 2015 at 1:00 pm (Edit)

Worst part of that bunch of “conservatives” among the Extremes is the fact that four of them are suspect members of Opus Dei. Opus Dei, founded by a fanatical Spaniard in the 20’s, was closely linked to Francisco Franco and his Falangist (fascist) overthrow of the Republic of Spain in the Dirty 30’s. Totally secretive and working constantly to recruit up and comers, the Opus Dei (the “Work of God” if you can believe the hubris and arrogance) is an openly elitist outfit that stands for the 1% ~ or more likely the 1/100th of one percenters ~ in other words those who have inherited incredible wealth and have no clue as to how real people live their lives.

1. chipower9 said, on December 19, 2016 at 8:01 am

Queue the music for Flav…

“I’m Dreaming of a Trumbo Christmas…with Home Runs Flying Afar…”

Flav – safe travels and have a wonderful Christmas my friend. Blessings to you and yours.

2. unca_chuck said, on December 19, 2016 at 9:16 am

Opus Dei sounds like the Nights Templar from the 1200s. Supposedly protecting the Grail.

3. djloo27 said, on December 19, 2016 at 9:25 am

When was the last time the Giants made an off-season acquisition that got the fan base really psyched?
    And don’t say Cueto or Melancon- I mean near Bonds-like excited – the best player out there…certainly not Rowand, Huff, Molina, Alfonso, Vizquel or even Kent whose production was a huge surprise.
    Anyone remotely close to Bonds that I’m forgetting? Zito?

• sandog said, on December 19, 2016 at 10:18 am

I think Cueto was a pretty damn strong move, but if Bonds is your yardstick I don’t think you are going to be able to come up with anything even close. In my book, signing Barry Bonds was not only the best free agent signing in the history of MLB, it was the best free agent signing in the history of pro sports.
      And Zito might have been the worst….

• chipower9 said, on December 19, 2016 at 10:25 am

I echo SanD’s sentiments. I remember vividly sitting down to watch the 10 o’clock news the night that the Bonds signing was announced, and calling my friend and fellow Giant fan Mike. He thought I was pulling his leg on the Bonds signing. THAT was the beginning of the turn-around for our great franchise.

4. alleykat69 said, on December 19, 2016 at 10:07 am

Instead Flavor your dream end with 38 year old Jimmy Rollins and his rocking chair to try and beat out Specs& OOO for a backup role!
    He can take OOO spot anytime since his bunts travel farther then OOO’s full hack, but Specs has to stay!!

5. alleykat69 said, on December 19, 2016 at 11:10 am

Well we got the best years out of Jason Schmidt on the heist from Pittsburgh so that was a hell of a trade..

• djloo27 said, on December 19, 2016 at 11:35 am

Pretty sure that was ‘”in season”, Kat. I’m looking for an off-season pick-up that you couldn’t wait to see in a Giant uniform…

• Flavor said, on December 19, 2016 at 11:37 am

And then he squeezed 45 mil out of LA and gave them shit. Throw that into consideration and he’s one of the greatest Giants of all time

6. Flavor said, on December 19, 2016 at 1:23 pm

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on December 19, 2016 at 1:59 pm

But wait… his front foot isn’t twisted inward all duck-like… Yeah, can’t top the Bonds signing, but I agree that Cueto was pretty special last year. I remember being very stoked before the ’02 season when they re-signed both Bonds AND Schmidt and then went out and got Sanders. I was also pretty stoked about Ellis Burks, having seen his early years in Bosstown. Craig, where ya going for vacation?

• djloo27 said, on December 19, 2016 at 2:35 pm

He’s built like a running back…

• unca_chuck said, on December 19, 2016 at 2:54 pm

Someone was talking about Rickey yesterday. Some ex-pitcher. He said what always geeked him out about Rickey were his thighs.

• Flavor said, on December 19, 2016 at 3:59 pm

i loved Ellis Burks. I WAS going up to Black Butte for Christmas, my mom bought a house up there over the Summer. But there were some delays with the remodel and we decided just this last week that it wasn’t going to be ready for all of us. So, I am staying home with my daughter and that’ll be fine.

7. chipower9 said, on December 19, 2016 at 2:13 pm

And with the all-important news of the day…

~61 daze until pitchers and catchers report. Giddy-up – Play Ball!

8. unca_chuck said, on December 19, 2016 at 2:39 pm

Ahhh, haven’t stopped by Super 70s Sports in a while. . .

Bonds for Murcer didn’t thrill you, DJ? I just remember being pissed. Bonds was our best lead-off guy ever. Almost opened the 40/40 club in ’73.

• djloo27 said, on December 19, 2016 at 3:27 pm

I don’t think anybody liked that deal, Chuck.
      You sure don’t need me to explain it…

9. gianthead said, on December 19, 2016 at 2:55 pm

Trumbo is the dream…Jimmy Rollins is the reality…

• Flavor said, on December 19, 2016 at 4:01 pm

lol, well said. I wanted Jimmy Rollins like 10 years ago.

• gianthead said, on December 19, 2016 at 4:33 pm

Just a decade late…Goggles Tomlinson may poison Rollins’ oatmeal during spring training…

10. pawliekokonuts said, on December 19, 2016 at 4:29 pm

JayRoll for a MiLB deal is fine with me.

11. zumiee said, on December 19, 2016 at 5:10 pm

Ricky was that rare case of a left-handed position player who hit only right-handed. It’s hard to think of many. Off the top of my head, I can’t think of another.
    I guess everything about Ricky was a rare case.

• pawliekokonuts said, on December 19, 2016 at 7:42 pm

Right, there’s Bumgarner who does that, and I think Bobby Schantz did for the Yankees. My brother Jack and I throw L bat R [taught by Dad], so I notice those guys. But who as a position player??

• djloo27 said, on December 19, 2016 at 8:19 pm

Cleon Jones

• xoot said, on December 19, 2016 at 9:25 pm

12. zumiee said, on December 19, 2016 at 5:11 pm

I’ve been reading “The Arm,” one of the books Willie has recommended, and I totally agree that it’s terrific. Very interesting and entertaining, and would be a great read for anyone on this blog.

13. zumiee said, on December 19, 2016 at 5:13 pm

Good acoustic cover of this song.

• pawliekokonuts said, on December 19, 2016 at 7:43 pm

can I just stare at the photo?

• djloo27 said, on December 19, 2016 at 8:30 pm

Good accompaniment from the maracas…

• snarkk said, on December 19, 2016 at 9:31 pm

I think zumie has a crush…

• chipower9 said, on December 20, 2016 at 7:28 am

There was a song?

14. willedav said, on December 19, 2016 at 8:28 pm

well, if Trumbo at $70 mil is your dream guy, I think he’s a nightmare at any price for SF.

In 500 ABs with AZ ( his only years in NL) he hit 23 HRs and struck out 140 times/.750 OPS. He’s a lifetime .250 hitter who struck out 170 times in Balt last year…so conga line, no. In the middle of a LU he’s a big hole. And easy to\pitch to—he can’t reach RCF or dead RF because of the wall and distance so just work him away. No way imo he hits 47 HRs at ATT.

Remember too, that Balt is in same division as BOS, TOR and NY which all have supreme hitters parks.
    NL West has SD and LA as not hitters parks esp at night.

I’d also venture if he’s at 1b, Craw is charged with 5 more errors a year on throws, easy.

15. mrsprtdude said, on December 19, 2016 at 9:45 pm

@ SanDog…I’m with you. SF moving out of town with no hope, then Bonds comes. Playoffs, Fans, PAC BELL PARK. The best park in baseball then and now. Money. sold out games. Most watched road team in MLB during heigth of Bonds era. More than the Yankees! 3 WS wins. Top 5 spender in MLB..No question he is the best free agent signing in the history of pro sports..
    I would say Bonds ranks only behind Ruth in MLB history for what he has done for a franchise.

• sandog said, on December 19, 2016 at 10:32 pm

Amen to all that!

…another bat right throw left guy was Brian Hunter on the Braves. One of my brothers has always been fascinated by those guys. He is able to name several, though I think Bobby’s Shantz would have stumped even him.

16. chipower9 said, on December 20, 2016 at 7:21 am

Paul and Flavor mentioned Ellis Burks yesterday. I really dug him, too. I was about to say that I was there the day that he hit the Giants 10,000th home run, but I caught myself…that was Ernest Riles (I was at that game).

17. chipower9 said, on December 20, 2016 at 7:25 am

Regarding the chatter on Rollins…maybe he ends up being this year’s Renteria…

I am down with a minor league deal, as long as Bochy lets whoever is producing get the ABs, etc.

18. chipower9 said, on December 20, 2016 at 7:29 am

~ 60 daze until pitchers and catchers report…not that I am counting, or anything.

“People ask me what I do in the winter when there is no baseball. I’ll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.”
    -Rogers Hornsby

19. chipower9 said, on December 20, 2016 at 7:34 am

I received a second letter from Stix over the weekend. Only four pages this time (first letter was eight pages), and 99% baseball. He is aware of the Melancon signing (although he admitted he did not know how to pronounce his name). He is calling (like all of us here) for a power hitting LFer, and seems to think the Giants will get that done. I hate to be the one to tell him “don’t hold your breath, brother.” Dude is jonesing bad for any Giant/baseball news.

I sent him two books via Amazon and it appears those were delivered. He cannot receive new clippings (what utter bullshit). Outside of books, whatever he receives must be photocopied, so I am going to put together some photocopied recent news on baseball and the Giants and send that to him, too.

• djloo27 said, on December 20, 2016 at 8:39 am

You’re a good guy, Chi…How’s Stix’ handwriting?

20. willedav said, on December 20, 2016 at 9:05 am

Hour long documentary of Rickey Henderson tonite on mlb net, 6 PM (PST I’m assuming). J Roll (local kid from same Alameda HS that produced Pops Stargell) says, “He was Oakland.”

21. Flavor said, on December 20, 2016 at 9:12 am