Jimmy Rollins pfffftttt…..

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 20, 2016

I dreamed about a dude who knocks down Chinese satellites with his monster bombs. Instead, I got a dude who observes Chinese satellites with his monster telescope. And make no mistake about it, Rollins is making this team unless he shows up drunk or dead. Bochy creamed his jeans when he heard about this pick up. A grizzled vet who will show up to play every day and who’s best days are long since behind him? That’s smack dab in Bochy’s wheelhouse.

Specs will likely also make the team because he’s got speed and he had a bunch of clutch hits last season. Agent 000? Well, he can now take solace in that 300K the Giants weirdly gave him to play in the minors in 2017.

#freeStix! RPOTD I’m starting to wonder if Stix knew that all his different pork chop recipes were all actually the same recipe. Somewhere in the east bay, Snarkk is doing the slowest of burns right now….

Carstie Clausen said, on September 8, 2015 at 8:03 pm (Edit)

Jeeze, caught the first inning or so while cutting up an onion, a couple types of peppers, a bunch of tomatillos, an apple and worked them into the Griswold #10 atop the wood cookstove. Dashed in some paisano and a bit of curry powder and let it stew for awhile. Then it gets a nice centercut smoked porkchop from a local butcher and it stews again. Next comes some water and a diddle of egg-noodles. Finish the dish with the pussies getting tidbits. Back to the puter and whaaat? Giants score 5 in the third with one very unlikely suspect getting one of the two taters.

1. chipower9 said, on December 20, 2016 at 9:32 am

~ 60 daze until pitchers and catchers report…not that I am counting, or anything.

“People ask me what I do in the winter when there is no baseball. I’ll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.”
    -Rogers Hornsby

2. chipower9 said, on December 20, 2016 at 9:33 am

Loo – in answer to your question (how is Stix’ handwriting). Pretty good…definitely legible. I will do my best to keep him in practice. 😉

3. chipower9 said, on December 20, 2016 at 9:37 am

I am with snarkk re: Stix’ pork chop recipes. If I am doing a pork chop, I always start with a good dry rub and let them sit overnight. Next I sear those bad boys over direct heat for a minute to seal in the juices, then a slow cook over a charcoal fire with various hardwood chips to get that good smoke flavor. BAM!

4. Bozo said, on December 20, 2016 at 9:39 am

Regarding yesterday’s thread – I thought the same as Chi about Rollins possibly becoming this year’s Renteria.
    Agree with Flav, Paul and Chi about Ellis Burks, I really liked that guy and would have loved to have seen him play when he still had knees. I guess he used to stop into MoMos after a game and have a beer with folks there.
    Although he was on the way out, I thought getting Randy Johnson as a FA was a good move. If nothing else, what he brought to our young staff at the time was worth it.

If Rollins can still play SS and also 2B, Adrianza may get to test the waiver waters again. If Specs has an option left, he may start in AAA with Conor “Dizzy” Gillaspie backing up 3B.

• gianthead said, on December 20, 2016 at 9:45 am

I checked in with the numerous Philly friends here last night, they all fell over laughing about Rollins still playing and us offering him a deal. One even suggested he would have a better chance signing with the A’s….I hold out very little hope he can produce at this level, which as Flav points out makes him instantly part of Bochy’s rotation…

• Bozo said, on December 20, 2016 at 10:01 am

Yeah, I just checked his stats and Adrianza actually had better stats. If I was a 17 year vet, that alone would make me hang em up right now.

5. gianthead said, on December 20, 2016 at 9:42 am

Ok I am thinking out loud and just go with it.

Was reading this morning that the Mets are actually talking to some teams about a CF while at the same time acknowledging they need to trade either Bruce (more likely their choice to trade) or Granderson.

What if we (suspend your instant negativity) offer up Spam and paying half his 2018 salary amounting to $5.5 mill for Bruce and one of our mid-tier pitching prospects, Blackburn?

Jay Bruce will make just $2 mill more than Spam for 2017 so tax hit would be very negligible. By coughing up half of Spam’s salary for 2018, we end up saving the other half and for the Mets, they save $2 mill this year and in essence get Spam for just $3.5 mill next year. Giants brass can spin a yarn about Spam’s hip and cold SF is the cause for his down numbers but a return to warmer climbs and the NL East rivalry with the Nats will enliven Spam!!!

We go Gorkys in center, J BRUCE in left and Nunez leading off…thoughts? I personally think it is brilliant:)

• djloo27 said, on December 20, 2016 at 9:54 am

I enjoy stuff like this GH, but Gorkys in center every day is preventing me from embracing the whole picture…

• chipower9 said, on December 20, 2016 at 12:33 pm

Gorkys in CF is no bueno, brother. Back to the drawing board, IMO…

• Flavor said, on December 20, 2016 at 9:55 am

Spam…lqtm. Well, I can think of one west coast part-owner of a used RV who will not support this…..

• blade3colorado said, on December 20, 2016 at 10:35 am
      • chipower9 said, on December 20, 2016 at 12:32 pm

LQTM…

6. Macdog said, on December 20, 2016 at 10:01 am

I saw Kat’s post mention Rollins yesterday and thought it was a joke, then saw later in the day the Giants really did sign him to a minor league deal. Eh, meh, the dude looks like he’s done, washed up, finis. I’m having a hard time finding any point to this.

• djloo27 said, on December 20, 2016 at 10:02 am

Your last sentence is what I say to myself every morning when I try to get out of bed, Mac…

7. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on December 20, 2016 at 10:06 am

J-Roll … I can still hear Harey Calas calling him J-Roll when I’d watch the Phils with my Dad when I visited. Yeah, I remember a lot of us kinda laughed when the Dodgers picked him up… he was mostly done then already. Just watch, he and OOO both make the team. Yikes…. But who knows, the Renteria comparison could happen too, I guess. As for Span, who would want him via trade? No one. And he’ll be the starting CFer. If that’s the case, here’s hoping SanDawg is right…. They’re not done yet, it’s not even Christmas. OF still needs a big fix.

8. willedav said, on December 20, 2016 at 10:10 am

I didn’t like the idea of Bruce last year after he had a nice series here as a Red and nothing has changed. Funny flav mentioned Trumbo yesterday, because imo Bruce is the LH version. Does not walk much or get on base/hit for avg, strikes out a ton and built up his stats in bandbox yard at Cincy. He can at least play in the field but no thanks.
    Comments I read from bloggers said Bruce was a big zero in middle of order. Also had long drought for Mets, which is more of a pitchers yard like ATT.
    Like Trumbo he’d hit 25 bombs maybe, but he’d be a black hole in middle of LU.

And of course if you trade Span same issue as moving Posey to 1b–Giants do not have anyone in system beyond replacement level to take CF or C.

9. unca_chuck said, on December 20, 2016 at 10:44 am

Oh shit. SERIOUSLY on Rollins? I thought you guys were shit-spinning.

I’d rather have Henry Rollins. Dude may be old, but if he ever gets ahold on one, he’ll hit the fuck out of it. And he’ll get ahold of one more likely than Dead-tree Rollins.

10. unca_chuck said, on December 20, 2016 at 10:45 am

He may be old but I’m sure he can hit.

Rollins

11. Irish Kevin said, on December 20, 2016 at 12:13 pm

This is what happens when your farm system can’t produce an OF, you go out and get yourself an old dude, then if you drink enough he starts to look pretty good.

12. willedav said, on December 20, 2016 at 12:28 pm

You guys OK with the Stanford star blowing off the bowl game to get ready for the draft?
    I get how meaningless 99% of bowl games are; I love college football but haven’t watched one yet and I’ll skip Central Michigan tonite.

But the thing about playing school sports with your buddies is just that–it’s freaking fun, and if things go well you can laugh and celebrate and talk shit with them afterward. If things go wrong they are still your buddies. And that’s what he’s walking away from to do his own thing–sorry guys, I’m out, good luck.

To use the excuse that the game is “meaningless” seems wrong. If Cards had been in line for a better bowl or in playoff he would have stayed? So where do you draw the line if it’s only about the player and not the team?

• Flavor said, on December 20, 2016 at 12:54 pm

I mean, I wanted him to play. And I put down a sizable wager last week on Stanford that I can’t change now, But whatever, random bowl games like this are pretty stupid. I’m not gonna hold it against him.

• chipower9 said, on December 20, 2016 at 1:39 pm

IMO he has had that camaraderie with his team mates and playing in the bowl game isn’t going to change that. The flip-side is the dude has a potential big pay day in pro football, so why chance getting hurt over a meaningless game. I would love to see him play, but not holding it against him. I have more of a problem with the NBA dickweeds like LeBron taking a “healthy scratch,” and \not even traveling with the team. Losers…

13. chipower9 said, on December 20, 2016 at 12:36 pm

I am NOT enamored with the J-Rol pick-up, but just saying I see possible parallels (in an alternate universe, in another galaxy) between him and Renteria when Edgar shocked the baseball world, and the Giants won the pennant…

It might happen…

…and monkeys might fly out of my butt…

• djloo27 said, on December 20, 2016 at 1:00 pm

I think Edgar got 2 years and about $18 million to play everyday.
      Earned it all with one swing…

14. Flavor said, on December 20, 2016 at 12:52 pm

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeyman 19m19 minutes ago
    giants still like brian dozier & showing some interest. but fit remains imperfect. dodgers have been most persistent on BD

• djloo27 said, on December 20, 2016 at 1:03 pm

Well if he comes, Panik goes…

• chipower9 said, on December 20, 2016 at 1:48 pm

I like the HR totals, but he Ks once in about every four ABs.

15. Flavor said, on December 20, 2016 at 1:03 pm

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeyman 45s45 seconds ago
    Padres have talked to Jake Peavy about a possible return. Great idea!

16. alleykat69 said, on December 20, 2016 at 1:08 pm

Hey Julio Franco is still playing ball in Japan at 58. Giants might make him a make-good offer as well.In a blow out loss Rollins to Franco on the DP combo would be fun to watch..

• unca_chuck said, on December 20, 2016 at 3:08 pm

Rollins to Franco to the Crypt keeper . . .

17. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on December 20, 2016 at 2:14 pm

Ellis Burks… Who’s his clone who’s young-ish and playing now? Lorenzo Cain? I’d take “that Cain” in a second. I was living in Boston when Burks was a rookie and manned CF for a few years to begin his career. I swore he was going to be a superstar and end up as a Yankee to continue the curse. He was so fun to watch in those years. When the expansion Rockies joined the ML, the Sox GM at that time, Lou “Show Me to the Post-Game Buffet” Gorman, inexplicably left Burks unprotected and the Rockies claimed him. Sox fans were furious. Gorman was gone shortly thereafter. Here’s hoping Sabevans are a bit more savvy than Lou Gorman and can come up with a nice solution to the OF problem. Because there is an OF problem, Span the Man be damned…

18. unca_chuck said, on December 20, 2016 at 3:06 pm

Yeah, I was pretty irked about Christian McCaffrey, but the thing about football is every play can be your last. Hard to dog him for protecting his future. It’s the nature of college football that these kids basically play for free, and are risking huge future earnings at the beck and call of the NCAA and their teams. Fuck ’em.

Look at Jaylon Smith. Smith was hurt on a fluke play in the Fiesta Bowl last year, and saw his draft stock fall. He was a top 5 pick, but Dallas still took a flier on him with their 2nd pick in the 2nd round (34th overall) he left a bunch of money on the table.

19. sandog said, on December 20, 2016 at 3:21 pm

Jimmy Rollins? No thanks. Reminds me of a long list of has-beens that produce nothing the Giants have collected over the decades that includes Ken Oberkfell, Tommy Herr, Eric Davis, Duke Snider, Steve Carlton, Goose Gossage and I could keep going and going.

G Head- I like that you are bringing some creative ideas to the table. Keep them coming. I don’t love this one as I think Span is way better than Gorky, and I would personally like to see an embargo on bringing in any left-handed hitters to AT&T until the ridiculous dimensions of the ballpark are addressed.

And let me be crystal clear regarding my man Span. I don’t think he is going to come back and have a better year than last year. I think he is going to have a similar year as last year. And I am OK with that. If they can find somebody better and bring him in, I am all for that. But I think that is a BIG “if.”

• djloo27 said, on December 20, 2016 at 5:09 pm

Dick Groat for the true geezers here…

• sandog said, on December 20, 2016 at 5:34 pm

Nice Loo. I didn’t know that one. I see your Dick Groat and raise you Warren Spahn.

• djloo27 said, on December 20, 2016 at 5:41 pm

Spahn and Duke Snider are probably a push. You know how I enjoy this stuff.
        Did you know that in addition to Marichal ending his career with the Dodgers, I’m pretty sure Boog Powell and Jim Bunning did as well…

• djloo27 said, on December 20, 2016 at 5:47 pm

Sorry, wrong on Bunning…

• sandog said, on December 20, 2016 at 5:47 pm

Boog, yes, Bunning, no.

• sandog said, on December 20, 2016 at 5:50 pm

Maybe you meant Jim Maloney? I can’t differentiate Bunning and Maloney very well. One is from the Central Valley and went to Cal and the other was a conservative senator. I think both threw no-hitters, which I know does not impress you Loo.

• djloo27 said, on December 20, 2016 at 5:58 pm

I was at the World’s Fair across the street from Shea when Bunning threw his perfecto in ’64. You could hear the cheers all the way to the Unisphere. I was also listening in the car radio when Johnny Lewis broke up Maloney’s no-no in the 10th vs. Mets…

20. unca_chuck said, on December 20, 2016 at 3:51 pm

Yes, Rollins will be Garkoed.

• Bozo said, on December 20, 2016 at 4:12 pm

As long as he isn’t Kleskoed.

• unca_chuck said, on December 20, 2016 at 5:19 pm

Or McGeeheehee’ed

21. unca_chuck said, on December 20, 2016 at 3:52 pm

Come on, Dawg. Span needs to do more than the minimum to be successful. I’m pretty sure he can because he was so mediocre last year. I mean really, the bar is pretty low for him.

22. Flavor said, on December 20, 2016 at 4:30 pm

I’d love Trumbo in the middle of the LU. Bruce, too. WHo cares if they strike out a lot. Bochy has sold this “keep the line moving” nonsense to detract away from the giant HOLE in our line up that is a gynormous power outage. We need guys who can hit bombs. Guys who hit a lot of bombs also strike out a lot. That’s part of the deal.

23. zumiee said, on December 20, 2016 at 5:31 pm

I have no problem with the Stanford guy and the LSU guy sitting out their bowl games. I’m sure it has the NCAA pooping its collective pants, though. They don’t want this to become a trend. I guess, maybe, universities could threaten to revoke the remainder of their scholarships, but they would hardly care at this point. There are millions of dollars on the line for players who will be drafted high in the NFL, money that could set up their families for generations, and why risk injury in a bowl game and falling way down in the draft? I can see the other side, too; they made a commitment to the team and all that. I’m sure it was a decision they both agonized over, knowing they were probably rupturing some friendships forever. This kind of decision is not easy. In “The Arm,” it talks about how Daniel Hudson, as a young major leaguer, turned down an offer by the D-Backs for something like 5 years/15 million, because Daniel thought he could get much better later. Then he blew out his elbow a couple of months later, and had to get Tommy John surgery. I see that he did sign a contract today with the Pirates for something like 2 years/12 million, so he did get some pretty decent money eventually. But that was after a SECOND Tommy John surgery. He talks about how, after he passed up that early offer from the D-Backs, and blew his elbow out, how guilty he felt in regards to his family. His wife had been OK with taking the offer, but he felt it was a pretty low-ball offer. But now he was facing a very uncertain future, and all that money had been left on the table. It’s nice to see things did work out OK, given the circumstances.
    It’s the other side of the coin, in regards to Bumgarner. Bum just felt he couldn’t leave that money on the table, given how pitchers’ fortunes can change on a single pitch. He played it safe, for he and his family; and I would never blame him for that. Bum will get his massive contract in the future, if he stays healthy.
    He will make about $12 million this year. It’s underpaid compared to his worth, but he and his family are in no danger of having to live under a bridge….which is my introduction to this song!

24. sandog said, on December 20, 2016 at 5:45 pm

Fantastic post. You covered a lot of ground there.

• unca_chuck said, on December 20, 2016 at 7:13 pm

And finished off the saran wrap

• djloo27 said, on December 20, 2016 at 9:13 pm

I’ll be pitching my “Come Vest” on Shark Tank this week…

25. snarkk said, on December 20, 2016 at 6:02 pm

JRoll, that’s a joke. Tree Rollins maybe, if alive. Lots of walks. As for the Stanfoo kid, I encourage these kids to bail. Why risk an Acl tear and lose millions to satisfy some beer swilling bowl boosters in El Paso? No gracias. Onto the draft…

• djloo27 said, on December 20, 2016 at 6:30 pm

26. snarkk said, on December 20, 2016 at 6:05 pm

I’m glad some Flappers are wanting a power bat or two. I’m tired of wimp ass HR numbers. I’m like Kirk to Scotty — more power!!!…

• djloo27 said, on December 20, 2016 at 6:20 pm

• Bozo said, on December 20, 2016 at 6:58 pm

I think I still have that card.

27. zumiee said, on December 20, 2016 at 6:13 pm

Surely those guys would be playing if it was for the national championship tournament.
    It’s a big deal for a school to get any bowl game, but certainly it’s an extra game that players could get injured in, too.
    After Georgia won the national championship with Herschel Walker, and Herschel left early to go to the NFL instead of playing another season, I remember a camera shot of some distraught Univ. of Georgia students, and one had a sign that said “Why, Herschel?” If Herschel saw that sign, he must have been pretty amused, thinking: “Seriously, you’re asking why?”

28. zumiee said, on December 20, 2016 at 6:28 pm

I wonder if current NCAA players know much about the Willis McGahee injury. Maybe it’s well-known, or maybe it isn’t. He eventually made it to the NFL, but I have very little memory of him in the NFL.
    “In the early part of the fourth quarter during the 2003 Fiesta Bowl National Championship Game, McGahee suffered an injury after catching a screen pass from Dorsey. He was immediately hit by Buckeye safety Will Allen, bending his left knee backwards and causing tears of the ACL, PCL, and MCL.”

29. Irish Kevin said, on December 20, 2016 at 6:31 pm

I am always amazed year in and year out here on the blog the subject of getting a power hitter(s) always comes up. And when the season begins..no power hitters to be found, and yet they have won 3 World Series. Now let’s be clear, I would love to have a power hitter, but this last playoff series was not due to lacking a power hitter! I would love to see the Giants great a good outfielder(s), but I don’t want to see a bunch of washed up power hitters. The Giants were forced to give second base to Panik cause they could not find some old vet that could play, same with Duffy!! So get someone that can actually play, not some revolving door of vets.

• zumiee said, on December 20, 2016 at 6:38 pm

That’s a good point; but I also see the point Snarkk made a while back, that those 3 championships were won with a level of pitching that we don’t really have right now, especially in the bullpen. We need to make up in offense what we lack in pitching. And HRs can be such game-changers, especially late in the game.

• djloo27 said, on December 20, 2016 at 6:57 pm

Like this one?

• zumiee said, on December 20, 2016 at 8:04 pm

That’s a great one!

• snarkk said, on December 20, 2016 at 8:36 pm

Bingo. I’m not saying let’s get 200 dingers. How about at least 125 and go from there? Too much to ask?..

30. zumiee said, on December 20, 2016 at 6:33 pm

I was at a See’s Candy today, buying a box of lollypops (they’re awesome); and a woman in front of me bought a bunch of boxes of candy, totaling $386. That little store rakes in the cash this time of year.

31. willedav said, on December 20, 2016 at 8:14 pm

My issue with Bruce and Trumbo is less that they strike out so much than that they are .250 hitters who don’t walk and simply make too many outs. Bruce last year after leaving bandbox Cincy, hit .219 for the Mets. He had 8 HRs in 50 games and an OPS of .685. He sucked! I don’t think he’d be that bad as a Giant but 25 bombs is probably his ceiling, Trumbo too. Meh…not for no $70 million.

I’d rather have a guy like J Pederson of LA. 2016 he cut down the K’s from 170 to 130, and while he hit .246 he had an OB of .352, and raised his OPS up to .847. He’s just a better hitter than either Bruce or Trumbo even though he does K a lot.

OPS, btw, from everything I’ve read is the single most important stat directly related to how many runs a team scores…not HRs rbis BA et al. Getting on base combined with doing it with higher slugging more doubles triples HRs.

• Flavor said, on December 20, 2016 at 8:41 pm

well they were 20th in OPS and 19th in runs scored last year so there is merit to what you’re saying. I think though that we all would like to see them improve on 19th in runs scored.