Rollins Interview

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 22, 2016

Would it have killed an SF beat writer to stop stuffing their faces with hot dogs and popcorn (I’m looking at you @hankschulman) long enough to do a story like this? Anyway, I’m imagining Bochy reading this and just absolutely salivating, man. He’s probably got good  ol’ lovable Murph saran wrapping the clubhouse as we speak. This is his type of guy. And honestly, he sounds like he would fit right into this team…..

________________________

#freestix RPOTD

Carstie Clausen said, on July 17, 2016 at 5:26 pm (Edit)

Maybe prefer them to tidal waves and earthquakes, but deerflies (also known as deltawing demons and simply “goddamns” ~even from religious types when they chaw down); were out in full force this evening as i did a tank of gas with my 22″ Huskvarna mower over sections of the 3 acres or so that get cut around here. Up and down hills and watch out for trees, shrubs, milkweed plants, alfalfa plants and rock-edged gardens. They really like attacking when both hands are occupied.

Though the back of my head and the arms have plenty of welts, i know i killed a dozen or so in the process. This is peak season for the demonic parasitical predators ~ always out for blood. Bites from the ladies of the evening are mere pinpricks by comparison. Had a number of them as well, though they are not so avid as the goddamns when you present a fairly quick moving targets. The deltawinged demons like to keep buzzing around your head and then dive bomb.

Three Giants losses in a row seem like small potatoes compared with not being bold enough to go out and get something more done before dark. Just flipped a fly-corpse off the sleeve of my ca 1980 teeshirt with the slogan “Support Wildlife, drink Wild Turkey. Cost a quarter at a garage sale about 30 years ago and seem to wear it as a workshirt once every summer. Good amortization but not much protection from those flying menaces. Thankfully by the end of the month they will be pretty much gone. Hope.

1. chipower9 said, on December 22, 2016 at 8:33 am

~58 daze until pitchers and catchers report. PLAY BALL!

2. blade3colorado said, on December 22, 2016 at 8:48 am

Nice thread. Down with Rollins making the roster. I’ve always been an admirer . . . Love this quote from the interview (by the by, good citation Flav):

“Obviously, I would love to have gotten a guaranteed deal, a major-league deal. But that’s where they were. I’ve always bet on myself. If I do well enough to make the team, then I’ll deserve to be on the team. If I don’t do well enough, you’ll probably be calling me and asking, “OK, what’s next?”

He’ll do it on merit or he’ll do what we all eventually do – retire.

3. blade3colorado said, on December 22, 2016 at 8:57 am

I had this comment buried in the last thread and thought better of leaving it there. So here’s my tribute to Unca . . .

“I don’t enjoy football at any level anymore, but you do an excellent job Chuck when I have gone to your site and read your threads, comments, rebuttals, etc. Love your analysis of football in general, but specifically all things 49ers. Frankly, after all is said and done, I always wait to listen to what you have to say on NFL and Niners. No one here at the Flap knows more IMO, i.e., you’re sort of the “Twin” equivalent for NFL football and 49ers.

That being said, I was absolutely shocked that you made that bet with Flavor. Obviously your love for the 49ers trumped your common sense. 🙂

• djloo27 said, on December 22, 2016 at 9:35 am

Great comment, Blade. And WillieDav is easily the basketball king around here.
      Gotta root for Rollins after reading that article.
      Stix is the gift that just keeps on giving…

• Flavor said, on December 22, 2016 at 9:46 am

Your comment about that big titted chick that zumiee keeps uploading had me falling on ground laughing.

• chipower9 said, on December 22, 2016 at 10:13 am

Me, too! (assuming you mean the untalented whore – show us your tits comment). That one had me LMAO…

Loo was definitely on fire yesterday…

• djloo27 said, on December 22, 2016 at 10:19 am

I hope when you read it you are using the Brooklyn pronunciation of whore (Who-uh)…

• Flavor said, on December 22, 2016 at 2:23 pm

absolutely.

4. gianthead said, on December 22, 2016 at 9:52 am

Jimmy Rollins most likely role in 2017…bench coach…

5. chipower9 said, on December 22, 2016 at 10:15 am

Hey – I am good with the team giving Rollins a shot. I love the dude’s attitude from the article, and if he proves to be a better option that Agent Zero or whoever else may be a utility guy, so be it.

6. alleykat69 said, on December 22, 2016 at 10:43 am

Shit The Whitesox’s liked Rollins mentioned don’t have the loyalty ties!
    Yeah no shit Jimmy that’s why you got cut in June and not picked up again!
    But know worries now Jimbo, Bochy will have your back all year cause loyalty for over the hill vets never gets old with him so your roster spot will be secure..

7. willedav said, on December 22, 2016 at 10:51 am

Rollins is pretty close to done but hey I thought the same way about the Riot and few others like Ishi that ultimately turned into heroes. No harm done. Maybe he sticks it to LA at some point.

I’m more concerned about the everyday guys that will get majority of PT (J D Mart hopefully in there) and be in the LU all the time, 5th SP and how pen shakes out.

8. unca_chuck said, on December 22, 2016 at 11:25 am

Thanks, Blade. It has been a trial of late talking about the 49ers. But the bet wasn’t ALL bad. I knew the Cards would be dogshit this year. I had unrealistic hope for the Niners, yes. Injuries, on top of everything else, played their part, but I didn’t think we’d be worse than the Tomsula debacle though.

But really, a bottle of Ripple is no risk. I’ll bet that against a Silver Oak every day of the week.

9. willedav said, on December 22, 2016 at 12:00 pm

Looking at MLBTR, found a link to B/R writer doing a column on iso power ratings for guys who hit less than 20 HRs. There were 18 of them and J D ranked 6th, with iso of .228 with .200 considered great and .260 as excellent according to F/G. He was also highest in group for OPS at .908. Giant killer J Lamb was in there too, tho of course his numbers when not facing Casilla wouldn’t qualify him.

After rundown of each individual, he notes Belt qualifies for honorable mention at .199 iso with 17 HRs. Then he makes following comment, which I include so Flav can laugh at it:

“Homers are a great way to flex one’s muscles and drive in runs, but there are other ways to be just as productive.”

Also saw story about guys who hit 40 bombs like Frazier and Springer that weren’t really good hitters at all per RC+ over last 14 years.
    And yes Trumbo’s name was in there alongside likes of Adam Dunn.

• Flavor said, on December 22, 2016 at 2:36 pm

why would I laugh at that? I totally agree there are other ways to be just as productive. We just don’t happen to ever access or utilize those *ways*. Plus, a big bat in the middle of the line up would do something that NO SF line up has done in at least a decade— instill some fear in the starting pitcher. Having a little strength in your line up can go a long way to psychologically battling the SP. Aren’t you tired of Kershaw taking the mound and basically smirking at our line up? I am….

10. chipower9 said, on December 22, 2016 at 1:15 pm

Good stuff, WillieD, and not to discredit anyone’s thoughts on the power/HR matter, I am not of the persuasion that our club needs a “big bopper.” We need guys who can hit for a high average and get on base, and rake in a fair amount of doubles (and triples). Keep the conga line moving and pitch your ass off, and you will win more games than you lose, even sans the HRs…

But I hear that chicks dig the long ball, so there is that, too…

• sfsarge said, on December 22, 2016 at 1:29 pm

We don’t necessarily need a big bopper, but man would it be nice.

I also responded back to you on the last thread. Basically I was saying that for me I support moving in the fences at AT&T as much as I support a DH in the NL.

• chipower9 said, on December 22, 2016 at 1:57 pm

And I am not into moving the fences in all-together, but I am with Unca re: getting rid of the “triangle.” Not a big rock…not breaking a pick on that one…I can go either way.

A big stick would be nice, but IMO it is not the “be all to end all” on the team’s needs. I am more concerned about a solid bullpen than a guy who bashes HRs while K’ing often, etc.

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on December 22, 2016 at 1:36 pm

I dig chicks who dig the long ball….

• chipower9 said, on December 22, 2016 at 1:58 pm

Me too, Paul!

11. chipower9 said, on December 22, 2016 at 1:59 pm

The only thing that could have made the title of this article better is if it said “again” at the end of the article title…

• sfsarge said, on December 22, 2016 at 2:45 pm

Is he in a contract year?

• zumiee said, on December 22, 2016 at 4:56 pm

The Red Sox are still owing 3 years/$60 million.

12. djloo27 said, on December 22, 2016 at 2:32 pm

The pitching staff could be set although I wouldn’t be stunned if Romo was brought back if the price was right.
    I have high hopes for Okert and I guess Osich is the new Lopez.

Angel Pagan still out there.
    He’s a perfect insurance policy for this team and shouldn’t cost all that much…

• blade3colorado said, on December 22, 2016 at 5:11 pm

Agree.

13. zumiee said, on December 22, 2016 at 4:38 pm

The Giants seem to know how to end up with guys who do “get” the ballpark, and that’s benefitted the Giants, team chemistry-wise. It’s one of the things that I always liked about Sandoval; he might hit a 420 foot out, but he would often just shrug and give a little smile, like “What can you do?” Huff never complained, and neither has any of the current Giants, really. The one who complained the most in the last several years was the previous hitting coach, Lansford, and the Giants fired him. The message was sent: “Bochy and Sabean won’t tolerate complaining about the ballpark.” The Giants used pitching and defense, and timely hitting, to win championships in the ballpark, and I don’t see the dimensions being changed. They know how to win in this ballpark. The Giants hitters might complain in private, but they don’t do it publicly.
    But having said that, we don’t have the lights-out bullpen we’ve had in recent years, and a righthanded power hitter would be a nice addition.

• blade3colorado said, on December 22, 2016 at 5:11 pm

Good post Zum. I love the ball park the way it is.

14. zumiee said, on December 22, 2016 at 4:54 pm

Minimally talented? Why, that’s an outrage. She can play that 6-string pretty darned well.

• alleykat69 said, on December 22, 2016 at 5:15 pm

I’d rather plays with her tits for a set…

15. alleykat69 said, on December 22, 2016 at 5:13 pm

Say Loo,
    We need a gray bearded Rollins photo to match Span’s for the new season!!

• djloo27 said, on December 22, 2016 at 6:43 pm

I think you’re exaggerating, Kat. Rollins looks very good for his age in this recent photo:

16. zumiee said, on December 22, 2016 at 6:26 pm

Encarnacion to Cleveland.
    I keep expecting to hear Dozier to the Dodgers any day now.

17. snarkk said, on December 22, 2016 at 6:33 pm

Lotta “I” in that interview with Rollins…

18. zumiee said, on December 22, 2016 at 6:38 pm

I used to be totally set against trading Panik, but a deal for Dozier would be intriguing. Panik + a minor league pitcher or two could do it. Not one of the top couple of prospects, though.

19. zumiee said, on December 22, 2016 at 6:43 pm

Interesting potential line-up. Dozier would give us Jeff Kent-type power at 2b.

Nunez
    Dozier
    Belt
    Posey
    Pence
    Crawford
    Mac/Parker
    Span
    Pitcher

20. snarkk said, on December 22, 2016 at 7:32 pm

I don’t want to trade Panik. Give him another season. Guy is too good w glove to give up on him this soon…

• chipower9 said, on December 23, 2016 at 9:33 am

Agree, snarkk.

21. djloo27 said, on December 22, 2016 at 7:56 pm

I read somewhere recently that all the shifting has made 2B a much easier position to play…

• snarkk said, on December 22, 2016 at 7:58 pm

Then Panik should be really good…

22. Bozo said, on December 22, 2016 at 8:20 pm

I don’t know about y’all, but I still believe we were a 9th inning arm short of going to the WS last year. Not a HR hitter, but a Closer. And, I’m of the opinion that we have upgraded the pen.
    Still, I do agree that a power hitter would help our lineup and yeah, I want a stud LFer, but I’m wondering if expecting more production from our $22 million cleanup hitting Catcher is out of the question?

• zumiee said, on December 22, 2016 at 10:09 pm

Maybe a little more production from Posey could be expected, but I don’t think a lot more. In ’16 he was at .362 on-base % and .796 OPS. Only 14 HRs, though, so room for improvement there. He should still be able to hit around 20 HRs, I would think. He won his first Gold Glove. He’ll likely not have numbers on offense in the range of his MVP season in ’12 ever again, but he should be pretty consistent to what he is now the rest of his contract. Maybe Bochy moves him out of the 4-spot eventually. He was never the archetypal 4-spot guy anyway, other than ’12.

• zumiee said, on December 22, 2016 at 10:23 pm

A quirky thing in Posey’s stats….he scored 4 more runs last season than he did in his MVP season. That’s kind of weird.

23. wilcojoe said, on December 22, 2016 at 8:36 pm

Great J-Roll interview. Agreed, no way Schulman get’s him to open up like that. It’s kinda pointless to talk to a reporter who has a tape recorder in one hand and a foot long in the other.

I too laughed my ass off at Loo’s comment from last night. Also major props to Paul for his impression of Stix “on the lam.” That was post of the year material.

24. James said, on December 22, 2016 at 9:42 pm

The original:

• zumiee said, on December 22, 2016 at 10:13 pm

• chipower9 said, on December 23, 2016 at 9:37 am

What Zumiee said!

This is one bad ass video…LOVE IT! Thanks, James!