Lost Art

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 27, 2016

Do any of you still subscribe to Sports Illustrated? I stopped years ago. The thing I loved about them were the awesome covers. They don’t do that anymore. The perfect simplicity was what made it almost like a work of art. Check this one out that I just came across.

There were so many….

Speaking of works of art, I have loosely counted 10 references Stix made over the years to making and ultimately delivering my never received oneflapdown gift. If I were to walk the grounds of his rolling estate, it would be something I’d definitely look for. I bet it’s outside somewhere on a table with a rake or a hoe leaning up against it….

Can you imagine Stix taking a ride on BART?

#freestix? RPOTD

This one is long, and not a lot of gold in it upon first review. But maybe I need to read it again. Anyway, it’s just a nice snapshot into the strange but interesting life he led before getting locked up.

Carstie Clausen said, on August 14, 2015 at 9:18 am (Edit)

Hey, it’s good to be back on the blog after a whole lotta drama. Monday i drove 40 miles to Bemidji to stay with relatives a couple days while undergoing cataract surgery at a hospital less then a mile from their home Tuesday morning. No pain in the half hour or so surgery. Lots of bright lights and such, much like some kinda acid trip.

Drama began when i had, per instructions as i understood them, left my notebook in my car as being under orders not to drive to the hospital and back and got a ride over by my cousin. Problem developed when i realized her cell # was in the notebook. But knowing where her son worked, i had the hospital page him to get her number. When she picked me up after surgery she immediately informed me that her foster son, suffering from fetal alcohol syndrome, had gone on a rampage, hitting her and that resulting in a police call.

Wednesday morning sort of lazed around, going next door to my cousin’s mother and brother’s place where i was treated to more stories and yet more stories about various family dramas. Then it was off to a grocery to pick up a few items and get down on some deli food before returning to the eye clinic to see the opthalmologist and get the patch removed. Wow! Patch removed and a couple of tests and the right eye is seeing better than it had since probably fifth grade in the year the New York Giants were last World Champions. But there’s always a catch. With the left eye still heavily beset by a cataract condition i’d be needing to wear a patch over one eye or the other, depending on whether needing close-up or distance vision. More appointments to come, including one in a couple weeks to operate on that other orb.

Got home Wednesday afternoon, fed the cats and dog, unloaded groceries and such and logged into the puter to discover that SF had beaten Houston in game one and now were 2 runs behind in game two. Then a friend calls and as we are talking the sky rapidly darkens and thunder rumbles. The wind picks up heavy duty, we ring off and i begin shutting down the computer. Did not quite finish when the lights went out,.

Nothing else to do but up to bed for awhile and towards evening i wake up and head downstairs with all the current out and walk outside to a scene of devastation. Two big spruce trees down across my driveway, so i can’t drive out. Then behind the house my big, old oak had blown down, just missing two different sections of the house. No significant structural damage. Despite being pretty good with a chainsaw i’m a bit handicapped as the doc had ordered me to lift nothing heavier than 20 pounds and not to bend down to the ground. Oh great. Back to bed after a quick snack.

Monday morning after moping around in a very dark house and grubbing together a couple sandwiches, i begin cutting spruce branches with a small swedesaw. Then i hear a car pull up to a downed popple further up the driveway. It’s my friend Ron. His friend Sam had gotten caught driving after a suspension he did not know he had. Ron had driven a couple hundred miles to pick him up along with his car. He’d stayed the night at Ron’s and needed to get home to his place some 55 miles distant. They needed another driver and Ron’s wife is like a day away from major dental surgery and other friends were tied up with one thing or another. So i am elected and agree to drive Sam’s car.

Ron returns the favor, and the some. In the heat and humidity he gets on the chainsaw and first branches the spruces and then cuts the trunks into logs which we roll out of the way. Some of the branches are off the ground significantly that i’m able to pick them up and toss them out of the way, saving him a bit of labor. Then we go after the popple and the driveway is cleared. Back into the house for a couple of Grain Belt Nordeasts. Get up another couple sandwiches after Ron leaves. Do the eyedrops again. Read next to the livingroom window for awhile and then back to bed.

This morning at about 10, a crew from the power company manages to untangle the lines feeding into my transformer. POWER returns. Light. Computer. Refrigerator. Yaaay!

And here, when i got home i thought it would be all peace and quiet after much drama at the relatives. When it rains, it pours.

1. Flavor said, on December 27, 2016 at 9:02 am

Also, have any of you noticed that Barry is selling off all of his shit? Is he out of $$$ or just looking for attention?

• gianthead said, on December 27, 2016 at 12:21 pm

Could this be just some collector rather than Bonds himself? But I would also guess that divorce has been very very tough on his wallet….

• Flavor said, on December 27, 2016 at 5:29 pm

it’s definitely him, it’s coming from his personal twitter acct

2. Flavor said, on December 27, 2016 at 9:10 am

i take that back, there is gold in dem dare post. I missed the part about the foster son going on a rampage.

3. pawliekokonuts said, on December 27, 2016 at 9:16 am

I’m with ya on S.I., though they do have “awesome” covers at least once a year. No explanation needed. When I was little, I canceled my subscription not because of flesh exposure but because they drifted from baseball, which they were big on, sort of the way The Sporting News was. But, hey, life changes.

4. willedav said, on December 27, 2016 at 9:16 am

Saw Giants signed back up C Y Pinto off the Brewers, who have Susac in one of the deals SF made with them.
    This guy put up decent numbers a year ago for them, cup of coffee last year. Sabes record with backup Cs not so good, hope this guy works out.
    The Prez is still around as pen coach, right? Gad that guy bugged me. Miller used to complain he would drop pitches that were in the zone and could have been called strikes if he’d gloved them.

Fun fact (and not one I admit to readily): early ’70s I owned a Ford Pinto in stretch of poverty after ’65 Chevy Malibu blew up and I needed something more reliable and cheap.

5. pawliekokonuts said, on December 27, 2016 at 9:20 am

Speaking of ‘lost art,’ it seems that there’s not been a BBOTD! since September 2015. Haiku gets more airplay here.

• Flavor said, on December 27, 2016 at 9:39 am

there’s a reason for that. Since Twin’s computer died on me about a year and a half ago I ended up buying 3 different ACER chromebooks that we love but they don’t have the snipping tool on it that his computer had. I still do have a desk top but it’s old and hasn’t been turned on in at least 6 months. And for multiple reasons I don’t want to snip BBOTD pics at work. 🙂

6. djloo27 said, on December 27, 2016 at 9:27 am

Stix continues to amaze.
    I like to think he is somehow enjoying himself as a jailhouse god…

• Flavor said, on December 27, 2016 at 9:49 am

maybe he’s writing his memoirs….

7. djloo27 said, on December 27, 2016 at 10:00 am

Add Carrie Fisher to the list of celebs who passed in 2016…

8. willedav said, on December 27, 2016 at 10:00 am

Sadaharu Oh: iirc if American players got close to his season HR record over there, they were actively pitched around and denied real opportunity to break it.
    In “The Arm” J Passan visits there and details intense pitch counts by young stars trying to win youth titles.
    This happens here too as he notes, very scary.

Zum mentioned Billy Martin bio which was also good read and even handed account of his life in baseball/struggles with alcohol. Tortured genius with incredible baseball savvy, inspiration wherever he coached. He once challenged Lasorda to a fight from dugout when Lasorda was pitching in minors. They met up to settle differences and wound up becoming friends and drinking buddies.

9. chipower9 said, on December 27, 2016 at 10:24 am

I agree on the SI covers…just not what they used to be. That is a gem you posted, Flav. When I visited a chick I was doing (she was here for four months on a detail with the company for which I worked) in Japan, I headed-out to the Tokyo Dome on a day she had to work and bought myself a Yomuri Giants lid (team for which Oh played his entire career). His book “A Zen Way of Baseball” was a very good read:

~53 daze until pitchers and catchers report. Play Ball!

• djloo27 said, on December 27, 2016 at 10:32 am

Maybe it’s on Stix’ Amazon wish list…

• pawliekokonuts said, on December 27, 2016 at 1:02 pm

I too thought that was a terrific book, Chi.

10. gianthead said, on December 27, 2016 at 12:16 pm

I got a subscription to SIGN for the boldest kid a few years ago and it is so cheap to keep renewing that I have kept up the subscription. Now I was hoping the kid would try and keep up reading them but no luck there….

• gianthead said, on December 27, 2016 at 12:29 pm

SI that is…

11. Irish Kevin said, on December 27, 2016 at 1:15 pm

Yeah SI was the mag to read, I always liked it when I found one in the men’s room, back in the day that is where sports pages could also be found, now I have to remember to bring my phone when I take a dump!!

12. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on December 27, 2016 at 2:19 pm

Willie, good to read your post about natural jet lag remedies. I tried Melatonin twice and it completely fucked me up. I’ve also tried 4 shots of whisky on the plane.. um… nice for about a half hour buzz, but that’s about it. I have found that the only things that help me are a) getting SOME sleep on the plane.. while I can knock out for an entire 2-1/2 hour flight, I can’t sleep at all on a 15 hour flight from Hong Kong to Newark… and b), immersing myself in sunshine at my destination. Unfortunately, usually when I come to the US east coast in winter, not a lot of sunshine…. but I’ll check out your company’s remedies. Drugs often have opposite affect on me. I remember taking Nyquil one time for a horrible cold… I lay on my back hallucinating off the ceiling all night.. fuck that.

13. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on December 27, 2016 at 2:23 pm

Re: the sports magazines… as a kid crazy in love with baseball, I taped player photos all over my bedroom walls. SI was NOT my choice — I thought, too many articles, not enough full-page photos. Anyone remember Sport magazine? For me, they had the best full-page pics. Sport was like the Playboy of sports mags… may it long rest in peace.

• blade3colorado said, on December 27, 2016 at 5:17 pm

Yep, I agree Paul . . . Sport was bigger in my mind than Sports Illustrated in the mid-1960s. As a kid, it was easier to read and digest the articles. I also preferred the photos – they seemed to be better and had more of them. Regarding both magazines, my uncle Frank had subscriptions to both and would give them to me after he was finished with them . . . albeit, Mad Magazine and comics (especially Spider Man, Silver Surfer, and Flash – only DC character I really liked) grabbed my attention for a few years as well. lulz.

• chipower9 said, on December 28, 2016 at 8:01 am

Good call…I remember “Sport” magazine well. Great rag!

14. zumiee said, on December 27, 2016 at 5:34 pm

It’s been a few decades since I’ve subscribed to SI. I first subscribed, coincidentally, right as the 49ers were getting good under Bill Walsh’s leadership, so I have the issue with Clark’s catch on the cover. I framed it. Not just the cover, the whole magazine, making a tight fit in the frame. I’d love to have him sign it some day. I’m sure he’s signed many thousands of them, but I bet he never gets tired of it. A case could be made it’s the most memorable photo in football history. With Everson Walls, the Cowboys’ DB, getting poster-ized in the process.
    The Catch!! How it changed everything. So many great memories from the ’81-’94 seasons.

15. zumiee said, on December 27, 2016 at 5:39 pm

The reason I eventually let my subscription end was, frankly, all the coverage they gave sports I didn’t care about. So many golfers and tennis players on the covers over the years, with long interviews with them that I was never going to read. Bleh.
    A case could be made NOW to subscribe to just about any magazine because of how low-priced the subscriptions are. Magazines are desperate for subscribers. It’s a buyer’s market. SI is dirt-cheap to subscribe to now.

16. zumiee said, on December 27, 2016 at 5:43 pm

With all the woodcutting Stix was doing, I was always a little concerned about the woodsy area he lived in. I always wondered how the woods were doing.

• Flavor said, on December 27, 2016 at 5:47 pm

lol, solid gold. I think the woods didn’t take too many hits. Stix talked about wood carving more than he actually did it, I suspect.

17. zumiee said, on December 27, 2016 at 5:58 pm

Regarding Pintos, the first car I ever had was a Pinto. This was in 1980. Not a bad “first car,” but nothing I’d ever want to drive these days. It had a good car radio, which, of course, was the most important thing about it, to me, at the time. 🙂

18. zumiee said, on December 27, 2016 at 6:08 pm

So all the teams are really rushing to sign the Giants free agents. lulz.
    Pagan, Peavy, Blanco, Lopez, Casilla, Romo. Their agents are busy guys right now, trying to market those worn-out dudes.

19. blade3colorado said, on December 27, 2016 at 6:31 pm

Pagan? Reserve outfielder. Blanco? Pfffttt! Put a fork in him. Peavy? Maybe a bad team’s 5th arm. Lopez? He’s a lefty reliever, i.e., they are highly prized by teams and I can see him leveraging that for a one year MLB contract, with incentives.

Casilla and Romo??? No idea why they are still available. Seriously. Yes, it’s burnt into our collective memories of how many blown saves/situations both of them have, but did they really pitch that poorly? Ignore saves and in my book, they both pitched fairly good. Granted, they probably wont get any closer gigs, unless it is with a mediocre to poor team.

Casilla posted a 3.57 ERA (115 ERA+) in 58.0 innings, 19 walks and 65 strikeouts. Those numbers would be good for anyone’s bullpen. He struggled in the second half, posting a 4.63 ERA while watching his strikeout-to-walk ratio decline. While it remained a strong ratio, 3-to-1, it was nearly 4-to-1 in the first half. The home run rate went up. The second half decline was a concern, but home run rate aside, the peripherals were still good.

Romo hit the disabled list a week into the season. He then missed nearly three months before returning on July 4th. He allowed runs in five of the 36 games he threw the rest of the season. He’s not a big arm, but the results have been big time. His 2.64 ERA in 30.2 innings with seven walks and 33 strikeouts would be welcomed in just about any MLB bullpen.

In short, both Casilla and Romo will get paid this season . . . handsomely.

• blade3colorado said, on December 27, 2016 at 6:38 pm

By the by, if the Giants were smart, they would ignore the high price outfield market and nab Greg Holland to further bolster their bullpen. This is cheap insurance for the bullpen and closer position, should Melancon face plant. Dude is a two-time All Star as the KC closer. Sign him!

• snarkk said, on December 27, 2016 at 6:47 pm

Let Romo and Casilla do what they will do for somebody else. Lopez, too. I saw what I saw last season, they are done for the Giants. Time to move on to some new blood. Romo’s elbow could seize up at any time for an extended stay again, and so could Casilla’s psyche. Thanks for the memories, and see you at the next championship reunion…

20. mrsprtdude said, on December 27, 2016 at 6:34 pm

Been an SI subscriber since i was 19 when i moved away to college. 32 years and counting. Thought about letting it go, but can’t quite pull the trigger, and re-up each time. I like other sports too like football, golf, and sports history articles. The wife loves the olympic coverage…Still have a Will the Thrill cover. My best friend in school and best man at my wedding was a huge Bronco fan. He was killed in a car wreck at 27. A few years later the Broncos finally won it all. Bringing a framed SI cover of Elway to his grave-site was the thing to do. Only SI…

21. zumiee said, on December 27, 2016 at 6:55 pm

A pretty comprehensive list of people in the music business who passed away this year:

• zumiee said, on December 27, 2016 at 7:04 pm

Some of those I had totally forgotten. Paul Kantner passed away. Maurice White of Earth, Wind, and Fire. And others.

• chipower9 said, on December 28, 2016 at 8:13 am

Wow. I had forgot a bunch, too. I posted a list of some of the more memorable to me last night on FB, and totally forgot others who were huge losses for me:

Leon Russell
      Dan Hicks
      Merle Haggard
      Paul Kantner
      Patty Duke
      Guy Clark
      Greg Lake…

RIP…

22. Macdog said, on December 27, 2016 at 6:55 pm

Still subscribe to SI. It’s funny that a couple of you guys preferred Sport over a mag called Sports ‘Illustrated’ because the photos were better.

• pawliekokonuts said, on December 27, 2016 at 7:13 pm

definitely some excellent writers at S.I.

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on December 27, 2016 at 7:47 pm

Yeah, Mac, a bit ironic. But it was true. I really didn’t read the articles much. Obviously SI “did it better” as they’re still around… Hey, where are you these days? I’ve been in NJ for 10 days, just a few more to go before heading west….

• Macdog said, on December 27, 2016 at 9:05 pm

I’m in Ocean County, exit 82 or 80 off the GSP. Where are you at?

23. pawliekokonuts said, on December 27, 2016 at 6:59 pm

Having me a beef on weck. Yummmy. (It’s a Buffalo thing, originally.)

• zumiee said, on December 27, 2016 at 8:48 pm

I had to look that up.
      It looked good except for the horseradish. Did you have it with horseradish? (Is horseradish one word?)

• pawliekokonuts said, on December 27, 2016 at 8:53 pm

mayo for me….i would go with one word

• chipower9 said, on December 28, 2016 at 8:14 am

Weck? WTF???

24. zumiee said, on December 27, 2016 at 7:19 pm

I still buy individual issues of SI once in a while. Of course, all Giants championship-related issues; but there are other issues that catch my interest once in a while, or come across them in dentist waiting rooms, and that kind of thing.
    In a waiting room recently, I read the story they had on the shooting of the Saints football player. It was a really interesting article.

25. Flavor said, on December 27, 2016 at 7:39 pm

26. Flavor said, on December 27, 2016 at 7:43 pm

today’s POTD still has me chuckling away. It gets better if you read it a few times.

27. Flavor said, on December 27, 2016 at 7:56 pm

Super 70s Sports ‏@Super70sSports 2m2 minutes ago
    The Bills have had so many coaches the past 15 years I have this vague feeling I went 6-10 in 2011 and got fired.

28. snarkk said, on December 27, 2016 at 9:18 pm

Hey Paul,
    Are you going to be in the SF Bay Area?

• chipower9 said, on December 28, 2016 at 8:16 am

I second that question and raise you a beer (or two)…

29. chipower9 said, on December 28, 2016 at 8:17 am

~52 daze until pitchers and catchers report…

PLAY BALL, Bitches!

• djloo27 said, on December 28, 2016 at 10:34 am

That’s just a little over 7 weeks! Feels like the season just ended.
      The “Draculoo” Game (known to some as the NL Wildcard Playoff) was almost 3 months ago.
      The NY Flapalooza was over 6 months ago. (That’s like half a year!)
      Life is absolutely speeding away…

• blade3colorado said, on December 28, 2016 at 12:03 pm

I agree. Linh felt very sick yesterday and she had our apartment security guard take her to the hospital. She’s fine.

However, her physician said she has lost a lot of calcium, vitamins and minerals in her body due to the baby “consuming” these nutrients. The baby is only 9 weeks old, but has a gestation age of 12 weeks. Already has 10 fingers and 10 toes (arms and legs included. Ha.). “Life” is fascinating to me too Loo. I guess we all wish some or even all of it would slow down a bit, eh?

• snarkk said, on December 28, 2016 at 12:25 pm

We were watching over Xmas some old vids of the two snarkettes as toddlers and the cute/crazy stuff they did then. The snarkettes laughed a lot at seeing/hearing what they were doing then. Fast forward to yesterday. I was giving youngest Snarkette her first driving lesson in an empty parking lot – she just got her permit a week or so ago. She is in driving school today. Time flies…

• chipower9 said, on December 28, 2016 at 1:34 pm

Ahhh…the NY Flapalooza. What wonderful memories. I have to do that one, again, and ensure I have more time to hang-out with you Loo!

• djloo27 said, on December 28, 2016 at 2:35 pm

It’s a very happy memory for me too, Chi.
        Hope Linh is feeling better, Blade.
        I wonder if pregnancy is as difficult for other species…

30. Macdog said, on December 28, 2016 at 1:47 pm

Noah Syndergaard on Twitter:

2016 Mets Recap:
    Wright hurt
    Duda hurt
    Walker hurt
    Harvey hurt
    Degrom hurt
    Matz hurt
    Wheeler delayed
    lost Wild Card
    Bart leaves ☹️
    2016: (image of middle finger) U

• djloo27 said, on December 28, 2016 at 2:38 pm

I give him credit for keeping it all Met-related…

• chipower9 said, on December 29, 2016 at 6:55 am

LULZ…

31. zumiee said, on December 28, 2016 at 4:36 pm

Did you Nor. Cal. folk feel the earthquake last night? I felt it. I was sitting in a recliner, and at about 12:20 AM was the first of actually two separate quakes, a few minutes apart from each other. I could feel the recliner swaying a little, and could hear some dishes rattle. It turns out the quakes were near the Cal./Nevada border. I’m guessing Chi really felt it, if he was awake at the time.

• Flavor said, on December 28, 2016 at 4:47 pm

no but I was asleep and in Los Altos Hills

32. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on December 28, 2016 at 4:45 pm

Tom and Chuck, I will indeed be in SF, but only for one afternoon/evening. My friend who lets me rent a room for my legal US address has left the Bay Area and moved back to Phoenix, so when I leave NJ on Friday, I’ll be in Phoenix for 5 days and then SF only for one night before flying back to Saigon. So… not much time there this time. Next visit will probably be July, and I plan to build more time into being in the Bay Area. ….

• snarkk said, on December 28, 2016 at 6:50 pm

OK, maybe your summer visit will leave time for an ATT game…

• chipower9 said, on December 29, 2016 at 6:57 am

I second the motion for taking in a summer Giants game. Flapalooza, baby…

33. zumiee said, on December 28, 2016 at 5:27 pm

Slow news day on the Dodger blog:

Speaking of wild boar,
    what does it taste like? This taco place we’re about to go to has a wild boar taco that I’m pretty sure I’m gonna try.

Posted by Catherine the Blue on Dec 28, 2016 | 12:40 PM

My recollection is that it will taste either like very lean pork or have some gaminess due to how it was raised.

Posted by CraigMinami on Dec 28, 2016 | 12:42 PM

very lean pork
    Sounds like a decent counterbalance to the pork belly taco.
    Thanks Craig. : )

Posted by Catherine the Blue on Dec 28, 2016 | 12:43 PM

I remember enjoying it, but it came with a french sauce.

Posted by Phil Gurnee on Dec 28, 2016 | 12:55 PM

Every time I’ve eaten it was when my dad Dad shot it. I remember it as being very intensely porky more than gamey.

Posted by hitchka on Dec 28, 2016 | 1:11 PM

• zumiee said, on December 28, 2016 at 5:32 pm

They should try it on a weck, which it turns out is:

a kummelweck roll.
      “A kummelweck (sometimes spelled “kimmelweck” or “kümmelweck”) is topped with kosher salt and caraway seeds. Kümmel is the German word for caraway, and weck means “roll” in the south-western German dialects of the Baden and Swabia areas (northern Germans generally say Brötchen), although the kind of weck used for this sandwich in America tends to be much softer and fluffier than a standard German Kümmelbrötchen or Kümmelweck. In Austria, a similar type of small white-bread is known as Kümmelweckerl (diminutive from Wecken, which refers to a whole big bread, i.e. Brotwecken)”

• zumiee said, on December 28, 2016 at 5:33 pm

Myself, I would go…..pretzel bun! You know it! 🙂

34. zumiee said, on December 28, 2016 at 5:44 pm

MLB Network is reporting that the Cards are in on the Dozier sweepstakes. And the Giants, too, but we’ve seen this game before. The Giants are probably doing this just to make sure the Dodgers have to pay a high price for him.

35. zumiee said, on December 28, 2016 at 5:49 pm

I saw this article online:

“The Dodgers have been linked to Brian Dozier since the beginning of the off-season, but nothing has come to fruition. However, there is talk the Dodgers are willing to part with prospect Jose De Leon to bring Dozier to Los Angeles.
    The Dodgers currently have no second baseman. Kike Hernandez had a very disappointing season, and Chase Utley is a 38-year old free agent. Although both were valuable pieces to the Dodgers’ success the past two seasons, they are not viable options if the Dodgers wish to improve upon their 2016 season.
    Another option besides Dozier is Logan Forsythe, but he would be more of a next-best choice to Dozier.
    The Dodgers should go through with the trade that intrigued the Minnesota Twins. Of course, the Twins prefer Cody Bellinger, but realistically the Dodgers wouldn’t send their top prospect for Dozier.
    De Leon was a 24th round pick who rose through the ranks in the system, so the Dodgers aren’t surrendering a high round draft pick. He started four games in 2016, victorious in two, but owning a 6.35 ERA in just 17 innings.
    Watching De Leon’s progression to the big leagues, he’s had one of the highest strikeout per nine innings marks in the minors. He has a swing and miss fastball that touches 96 mph, a recently developed devastating change up, and a slider. His struggles in his debut season is also very normal for him. When he first joined the Dodgers organization he struggled, but once he found his groove he excelled to become the Dodgers’ number two prospect.
    Though he would be a front-end of the rotation starter for the Dodgers in the future, the Dodgers’ need for a right-handed second baseman right now is dire. The Dodgers invested a lot of money to retain many of the pieces from last year, and now all that’s missing is Dozier. His power from the right side, youth, and favorable contract point to a long-awaited National League pennant.
    That being said, the Twins are well aware of how this favors the Dodgers so they will try to milk another upper-end prospect to tag along with De Leon. Even the San Francisco Giants are joining the mix, knowing that Dozier’s addition to their divisional rivals will threaten their path to the playoffs.”

• zumiee said, on December 28, 2016 at 5:53 pm

It might seem like a sure thing to just trade De Leon, but trading a top starting pitching prospect is a tough thing. What if the Giants had traded Cain, Lincecum, or MadBum early in the Bochy era? Things could have turned out so badly from that. I’m sure the Dodgers’ brass are really grinding over this trade.

• Flavor said, on December 28, 2016 at 6:29 pm

it would be beyond idiotic to trade De Leon for a freaking 2nd baseman who will regress when he gets out of Minn and changes leagues. Shit, try dumpster diving for once. Not every single position has to be manned by an all star.

• chipower9 said, on December 29, 2016 at 7:03 am

Well, back in I believe ’07, the Giants were tinkering with the idea of trading either Cain or Timmy for Alex Rios…

36. Flavor said, on December 28, 2016 at 6:33 pm

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on December 28, 2016 at 7:12 pm

lulz…. I was the starting 2nd-bagger on my Freshman high school baseball team, decent enough to also land the same job sophomore year for the JV team. By then, I was getting high now and then. Starting shortstop was Don Metrione, a funny little guy who was a complete stoner and a good friend. We made a helluva double-play combo slightly stoned for those stellar spring afternoon games….. By the time junior year rolled around and I tried out for the Varsity team, I couldn’t handle playing with the jocks, who took the game WAY too seriously. The Freaks and Jocks didn’t get along too well at that point…

• chipower9 said, on December 29, 2016 at 7:05 am

LMAO…great shot. Paul, your experiences in HS baseball (and HS in general) seem very close to mine…there was definitely friction between the freaks and jocks.

37. unca_chuck said, on December 28, 2016 at 7:09 pm

Shit. Carrie Fisher’s mom, Debbie Reynolds, died today. Before my time, but one talented broad.

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on December 28, 2016 at 7:14 pm

Yes she was. And apparently she had the sympathy of the nation of the jilted bride when Liz Taylor stole Eddie Fisher away from her. Or something like that. Actually, I thought she gone already. How weird that she dies the day after her daughter. F-ing 2016…..

38. unca_chuck said, on December 28, 2016 at 9:48 pm

Dubs are infuriating. Just lazy passing and bad shots down the stretch. Shoulda been a laugher but they are about to give it away.

39. unca_chuck said, on December 28, 2016 at 9:54 pm

Weird-ass game. Toronto is tough.

40. unca_chuck said, on December 28, 2016 at 10:56 pm