He’s Cooking What?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 30, 2016

Every winter I need to find something to keep the blog humming till P/C’s report. I know that past years may have been more interesting to some of you guys (BBOTD, Retro box score of the day, etc…). But I have really gotten a kick out of this Stix-stuff. Sometimes I wonder if he’s really serious or if he’s just posting shit to blow the minds of the non-notherwoodsians.

Anyway, I enjoyed the posts about him at the end of the last thread and found this to compliment it. I wonder if Stix ever just skipped the actual meal and went straight to downing the dipping sauces? And he makes a reference to prison food in this one so I had to post it.

stixwiz said, on August 17, 2011 at 9:30 pm (Edit)

Awright Dawg. Enjoy that dutch treat. If you got a source for actual, gen you wine smoked slab bacon, not the thin-sliced pre-packaged pig-prison stuff, but the real mccoy; try cooking up those special tatercakes in the drippings from that slow-cooked pork. Would help if you too had a wood cookstove and a Griswold #10 self-basting skillet, but i guess we can’t all fit into Eden. This time of year the Northwoods of Minnesota is heaven on earth for those of us with productive gardens. Let me tell you bout my five-grain batter dipped zucchini, peppers, apple, tomato and cheese fritters some time. Worldclass bacon drippings work well there too. Try dipping em in molasses sweetened Thai soy sauce with a sprinkling of your favorite hotsauce stirred in. Yumshus.

1. willedav said, on December 30, 2016 at 8:16 am

OK, what Mac said: “glad to see I’m not the only one who has no idea what the hell he’s making.”
    Or taking the time to make sense out of what he’s talking about. Daily diet of what he ate/reposts overpowering…
    May the GKE (great karmatic equalizer) smile upon his form.

2. chipower9 said, on December 30, 2016 at 8:44 am

I can relate to the grub that Carstie described, as I was married for 20 years to a Northwoods gal (Wisconsin born and bred), and her family had lived in that neck of the woods for generations. Those people eat HEARTY! And what you can/cannot eat without it clogging your pipes is more about genetics than anything.

My late father-in-law (bless his soul, as he was one special human being) could chow-down on biscuits and sausage gravy, fried walleye, anything slavered in butter, etc., and throughout his life, he was healthy as an ox (low cholesterol and great blood pressure numbers).

I lived in a rustic homesteader’s cabin for a summer in Wyoming (no utilities) and you get creative when you are cooking over a fire or a coal/wood-fired stove…

3. chipower9 said, on December 30, 2016 at 8:45 am

45 daze until pitchers and catchers report.

Let’s play ball, bitches!

Damn…I can almost smell the fresh cut grass, the aroma of grilled dogs and onions wafting throughout the ballpark, accompanied by the sun on my skin as I wash that dog down with an icy cold brew. Come on, baseball…

4. chipower9 said, on December 30, 2016 at 8:50 am

Any of you guys following the college bowl games or in a pool, etc.? I have a pool I run each year (the Bowl-O-Rama Yo Mama) where everyone picks each game, against the spread. This year’s version did not have the Army or Navy games, as the spread for their bowl games had not been released when I was putting my pool together. So, 26 games to date, and I am leading the pack at 15-11. Two are nipping at my heals with 11, and a couple are at 10. Adds a bit of skin to watching the games. Gonna be fun coming down the stretch…

• Flavor said, on December 30, 2016 at 9:07 am

no, since they outlawed college FB DFS I stopped following as closely. Too bad, I miss it.

5. blade3colorado said, on December 30, 2016 at 9:05 am

In fairness to Stix’s culinary choices, where food, spices, sauces frequently seem to (and often do) clash, there are “molasses sweetened Thai soy sauces” on the market that I’m familiar with. Here are a few . . . scroll down for the “molasses” one.

Me? I wouldn’t be able to eat any of the garbage he consumes because he fries just about everything; or smothers it in ranch dressing or some other God awful dressing or sauce; and has way too much fat/carbohydrates, what with him ruining natural veggie and meat tastes with his “five grain batters.” He must buy this shit by the truck load . . .

When I did my Mid-West and East coast road trip over a year ago, I am glad I told him I was passing on visiting his homestead for the aforementioned reasons, as well as him saying that I would sleep on the floor and grab a shower 20-30 miles away. Even the lone motel he suggested as an alternative seemed to have a “Bates Motel” feel to it when I went to the website.

No frickin’ way . . . I recall driving faster East after our exchange. 🙂

• Flavor said, on December 30, 2016 at 9:08 am

i think calling it *5 grain* was his way of putting a healthy spin on it.

• blade3colorado said, on December 30, 2016 at 9:36 am

Yeah and what Chi said has validity too. Many years ago, maybe a year or two after the Oklahoma City National Memorial was completed, the government sent me to Oklahoma State University’s Precision Driving Training course. One of the best times I have had taking a course which many chauffeurs, police, para-military types, and body guards take. The curriculum was hands on, including the following: Behind-the-wheel training in OSU-OKC’s SkidSUV; How to control and avoid all types of skids; Winter/wet weather driving skills; Concepts of vehicles dynamics; Defensive driving techniques; Collision avoidance maneuvers; and, Emergency braking techniques (ABS vs. non-ABS). It was an unbelievable blast to participate!

Anyway, it gave me and others – not from the Oklahoma area, an opportunity to visit the memorial and discover how mid-west people live. All of the people I met were uniformly nice and helpful. Because we were there for a fairly long time, we had apartment like accommodations, where we could cook. Consequently, we shopped at the local Piggly Wiggly and Food Lion grocery stores. Chi probably knows these places. I swear on a stack of bibles, that 75% of all the patrons I saw visiting these stores are overweight . . . many severely overweight. I was struck by the contrast of patrons visiting CA and CO Safeway and Kings Soopers stores. As Chi said earlier, the mid-West diet is 180 degrees different from a Colorado diet and most certainly, from a California diet.

• chipower9 said, on December 30, 2016 at 9:44 am

Yep…I grew-up in Oklahoma, brother, so I know first-hand about which you speak. And a majority of my relatives who still live there are overweight. It is unreal the shit those people consume.

I have been in CA since ’77, and definitely have a more California type diet. I eat a lot of lean meats, fresh veggies and fruits, a decent amount of nuts and legumes, and the carbs I eat are mostly whole/live grain.

I would die if I did not have access to my vegetable garden and the plethora of wonderful fresh veggies and fruits that we have here in CA.

6. chipower9 said, on December 30, 2016 at 9:39 am

Yeah, not saying I could get into Carstie’s grub, but the dude is 70+ years old, so not sure how much wear-and-tear that diet has put onto him.

Speaking of grub, I am scarfing on some pork tenderloin for breakfast (dry rubbed and sat overnight), then grilled on a Weber (low and slow), and served with “F Lee Roy’s Original Dipping Sauce” (damned good sauce if you have never tried it – tangy with a bit of a kick). I will have this with a whole grapefruit and be good to go until lunch.

7. Flavor said, on December 30, 2016 at 10:08 am

i’m not a huge fan of dipping sauces. I’ll marinate the shit out of something, sometimes for days, but after it’s cooked I just let it ride from there…..

• chipower9 said, on December 30, 2016 at 11:02 am

I used to be a big marinade guy, but have really gotten into dry rubs as a means to instill flavor, and then will finish the meat with a sauce (BBQ, Leroy’s, etc.) after it is cooked, or serve with sauce on the side.

8. zumiee said, on December 30, 2016 at 10:28 am

The problem for Midwesterners and Southerners is that they’ve retained a daily diet that was made for farmer folk who worked for 14 hours a day, decades and centuries ago. To Stix’s credit, he was mowing the heck out of that big field he calls a front yard on a regular basis. He was burning a lot of calories. And doing some snow-shoveling during winter.

9. zumiee said, on December 30, 2016 at 10:37 am

Every once in a great while, rarely, I like go to a breakfast place, and get pancakes and eggs, a big ol’ breakfast. It’s a great meal, but I always feel bloated afterwards, and it kind of blows my mind that a lot of people eat like that on a regular basis. I wouldn’t want to feel that way on a daily basis.
    Americans, overall, eat too many calories, myself included. So much good-tasting food out there. And beverages.
    Abe Lincoln’s typical diet was a boiled egg and a piece of toast for breakfast. Some fruit at lunchtime. And meat and potatoes for dinner. And people said he was incredibly physically strong. He won wrestling matches all the time as a young man. He was wiry, pioneer strong.

• zumiee said, on December 30, 2016 at 10:41 am

10. Flavor said, on December 30, 2016 at 10:52 am

Loo– (and others). If you want some free money, bet on Irish War Cry in the 4th tomorrow at Laurel. He’s one of my future bets for the Derby this year. If I get anything close to even money on him I’m gonna dump a load on his his hot little nose. He had a final quarter you just don’t see 2 yr olds running at 6f (esp when in 9th pl after 1st quarter) and his thoro-graph fig was excellent. Stud trainer/derby winning breeding. Go time.

• djloo27 said, on December 30, 2016 at 1:05 pm

Thanks Flav – unfortunately for the odds, Blood Horse Derby god Steve Haskin is touting him all over social media…

11. wilcojoe said, on December 30, 2016 at 11:01 am

Stix described what appeared to be salmon cakes in yesterday’s thread. Basically crab cakes, except substitute canned salmon. My great grandmother would on occasion make those much to my dismay. It was the “fishiest” smelling dish I had ever been around. She grew up in Missouri and along with my great grandfather, migrated to California during the Great Depression.

I think canned salmon was during those days as common as canned tuna is today. She would make scratch biscuits and gravy at least 2-3 times a week and every morning consisted of either bacon or sausage. She ate bread with every meal, and easily consumed a stick of butter a day. It didn’t seem to matter as she lived to 100 years old.

• chipower9 said, on December 30, 2016 at 11:04 am

Like I said…so much of it is about genetics….

12. Macdog said, on December 30, 2016 at 11:15 am

McCaffrey-less Stanford underway vs. North Carolina in the Sun Bowl.

13. djloo27 said, on December 30, 2016 at 1:21 pm

Sure seems like Stix was under appreciated (and under read) when he was here…

14. wilcojoe said, on December 30, 2016 at 3:08 pm

What a great finish to the Stanford-UNC game. That was my first time watching NC QB Mitch Trubisky and man did he impress on that final drive. He should be #1 on the Niners wish list, assuming he declares.

15. blade3colorado said, on December 30, 2016 at 5:48 pm

A record six teams are paying baseball’s luxury tax this season, led by the Los Angeles Dodgers at $31.8 million and the New York Yankees at $27.4 million. Boston ($4.5 million), Detroit ($4 million), San Francisco ($3.4 million) and the World Series champion Chicago Cubs ($2.96 million) also were sent bills by the commissioner’s office.

So, I’m figuring that the Giants are done with Christmas shopping after their K-Mart “Blue Light Special” haul in the Ruggiano and Morse discount sale aisles. No J.D. Martinez or any other high profile right handed left fielder is going to be signed for next season IMO.

As I suggested last week, I would like the Giants to swoop in and grab Greg Holland. Signing him wouldn’t lift our luxury tax bill nearly as much, as signing a left field free agent would. I understand the Rockies are now “kicking the tires” on him and I would hate to have him go to Sherpaland. Remember, if Melancon goes down with an injury or just fails performance wise – we rely on a bunch of rookies and almost rookies, who have approximately 10 career saves total. Not a pretty scenario, since these duds were already given auditions last season and for the most part, failed miserably.

• willedav said, on December 30, 2016 at 6:34 pm

I think this would be good move too. Yes behind Melancon is Strick Osich FLR Gomer yada yada.

Regardless of what Evans is or isn’t going to do with rest of off season, I’d like to know what others would try and do if you were in his shoes.
      What part of team is most important to address and how would you go about it–trade or FA?

I think there are a lot of baseball things to talk about besides Stix and his diet/lifestyle. I liked his reports on minor league guys, but otherwise he was more of a novelty, like someone’s weird uncle you could handle in small doses only.
      Like I said earlier I feel for him, but his freedom of expression ended at plane’s window he shot at.

• djloo27 said, on December 30, 2016 at 8:19 pm

I object!
        Hearsay!

• willedav said, on December 30, 2016 at 8:27 pm

lulz. Hey saw St. John’s and Mullin beat ranked team Butler. Tonight I watched Bobby Hurley’s ASU team walk into Stanford gym and pick up rare (for them) road W.

• willedav said, on December 30, 2016 at 8:28 pm

Honest tho I don’t think Perry Mason and Paul Drake could get him freed.

16. blade3colorado said, on December 30, 2016 at 7:00 pm

Speaking of left fielders, I had no idea Ben Revere was only 28 years old. If I hadn’t looked at his stats, I would have sworn he was at least 33 and probably would have said, “35.” The Nationals acquired the 28-year-old from Toronto in January for reliever Drew Storen (sheesh . . . again, no idea that this trade went down, i.e., Storen use to be a stud). However, Revere suffered a strained right oblique in his first at-bat of the season, left after four innings and went on the disabled list. Revere returned to the Nats lineup May 6 but hit .217 with two homers and 24 RBIs in 103 games.

Anywho, the Angels signed Revere last week for a one year, $4 million contract. I guess this qualifies as a bargain in today’s world.

17. unca_chuck said, on December 30, 2016 at 10:28 pm

18. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on December 31, 2016 at 2:22 pm

Greetings, Flappers, from Phoenix. Cool here, but after 2 weeks in New Jerseyland, feels downright balmy. And sorry, Chuck, but I drove by the ball fields here, and games haven’t started yet. :-p Also, in line with the food discussions, had breakfast at the Waffle House on Ray Road and I-10. I need a dump like you wouldn’t believe. Ugh. It’s 2017 where I live, but not yet here, so I’m wishing ya’ll a happy bye bye to 2016 and a great beginning to the new one…