Happy New Year

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 31, 2016

Do any of you guys remember this? I was but a wee lad.

I’ve heard all the stories but Clemente was just too before my time for me to care much.

Nice NYE post from Stix………

stickman said, on December 31, 2014 at 9:08 am (Edit)

Not to make an outsized flap about it, Flav, but Happy New Year to you and to all the Flappers who have made for such a Giants community. It’s actually ABOVE ZERO here in the Minnesota Northwoods today after yesterday’s HIGH of five below. Going to a party tonight 20 miles from here and delighted that it will stay above zero tonight and for the next couple days ~ then back to the deepfreeze. But i’m still basking, even in the cold. Three in Five, Baby. Dynasty.

_________________________________

Good bye 2016. Succinctly, you sucked.

1. willedav said, on December 31, 2016 at 8:11 am

Just a tremendous player, at the plate and in the field. I distinctly recall Giants PA guy with the deep voice (Jeff Carter I think) introducing him as Bob Clemente too. Surrounded by a lot of other tremendous black and latin OFs at the time, didn’t always get his due because he wasn’t a slugger like Mays Aaron Frank Robinson.

That’s a great pic.

2. blade3colorado said, on December 31, 2016 at 8:52 am

As Willie said, Clemente was a tremendous player, who frequently did not get his due. Part of it was because he was not a slugger, but in my opinion – it was mostly because this era (1960s and 1970s) was the golden era of the black ball player. Additionally, believe it or not, Clemente was sometimes perceived as a malingerer and hypochondriac through much of his career (e.g., only 4 times playing at least 150 games in a season).

That being said, by the time the Pirates won their 2nd World Series (with him on the team) in 1971, coupled with his selection as the WS MVP, his legacy was secured. Moreover, the circumstances of his death was the catalyst for the Baseball Writers’ Association of America to hold a special election for the Baseball Hall of Fame. They voted to waive the waiting period for Clemente and posthumously elected him for induction into the Hall of Fame.

Fun (sad?) fact: Montreal Expos pitcher Tom Walker, then playing winter league ball in Puerto Rico (in a league later named after Clemente), helped Clemente load the plane which crashed; but either because of the plane’s weight load or because he wanted Walker, who was single, to go enjoy New Year’s, Clemente told him not to join him on the flight. Walker’s son is current Mets second baseman and former Pirate Neil Walker.

• Flavor said, on December 31, 2016 at 9:27 am

wow, think about that. Walker flies and Neil is never born. I know you could play that game with anyone who skirted death but it’s still a trip to think about. I bet Neil has thought about it.

3. willedav said, on December 31, 2016 at 9:17 am

At age 36 in 1971, he hit .340 with .370 OB/.500 slugging .871 OPS…and it was his worst year in 3 seasons.
    Just a master of his craft at the plate.
    Closest guy style wise modern era as a hitter you loved to watch would be maybe Bad Vlad, but Clemente was also a really good OF with great arm.

4. blade3colorado said, on December 31, 2016 at 9:30 am

One other note regarding what I said about the perception of Clemente being a whiner about his health. Roberto was never one to gloss over aches and pains or mince words. If you asked him how he was doing, he told you in no uncertain terms about his ailments that day. Because Clemente constantly displayed such a high level of skill, his detractors used to scoff and wonder what he’d be like if he had no complaints. The media used to fuel this opinion of Clemente as a whiner.

In the socially turbulent 1960s, black players and Latino players were looked down upon. Latin players were often mocked in print by having their broken English quotes phonetically written out. In order to make Latin ballplayers more acceptable to the American public, their names were often either Americanized or completely changed altogether. Clemente was a victim of this, especially in Pittsburgh, where the writers were merciless. For example, Clemente would comment about himself by saying, “I hit the ball good today” and the Pittsburgh writers would phonetically write, “I heeet the ball gud today.” Despicable.

• unca_chuck said, on December 31, 2016 at 10:32 am

Fucking Greg Papa did just this kind of shit 3 years ago with Pablo. Never liked Papa but that made me hate him even more.

5. blade3colorado said, on December 31, 2016 at 9:45 am

Happy New Year Flappers!

6. unca_chuck said, on December 31, 2016 at 9:50 am

Yeah, Clemente was fun to watch, even as he was getting older. I always equated him to Mays as just a very exciting guy to watch. He was always making something happen. Offensively or defensively.

7. snarkk said, on December 31, 2016 at 10:59 am

Clemente was excellent, but not the all tool player Mays was. But, that’s OK. Clemente had the greatest OF arm I think I’ve seen, speaking like an ol’ fart here. Cespedes and Puig — yeah, excellent guns, but I think Clemente had them on both strength and accuracy. You just did not run first to third on Clemente. Clemente, as I hazily recall, also was an excellent oppo field hitter. BTW, Dave Parker had an absolute gun for an arm, speaking of Buccos…

8. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on December 31, 2016 at 4:11 pm

Greetings, Flappers, from Phoenix. Cool here, but after 2 weeks in New Jerseyland, feels downright balmy. And sorry, Chuck, but I drove by the ball fields here, and games haven’t started yet. :-p Also, in line with the food discussions, had breakfast at the Waffle House on Ray Road and I-10. I need a dump like you wouldn’t believe. Ugh. It’s 2017 where I live, but not yet here, so I’m wishing ya’ll a happy bye bye to 2016 and a great beginning to the new one…

• snarkk said, on December 31, 2016 at 4:28 pm

Paul – “Grass Roots Kitchen and Tap” in Phoenix or Scottsdale.
      Recommended for dinner…

9. snarkk said, on December 31, 2016 at 4:49 pm

BTW, maybe somebody already mentioned it. But, Stanfoo’s QB Chryst ripped his ACL yesterday in the meaningless Sun Bowl. McCaffrey could have been in that position — but, he was smart and decided he’d played enough for free, and sat this one out. No need to risk millions for unknown Sun Bowl boosters in El Paso. And, his point was unfortunately proven by Chryst’s misfortune…

• Flavor said, on December 31, 2016 at 5:08 pm

yeah, and this is going to be a big problem for the bowl games going forward. I’m not sure how you can stop it.

• snarkk said, on December 31, 2016 at 6:07 pm

I wouldn’t want to stop it. Any kid entering the draft should tell his head coach to suck eggs and adios. Because that coach wouldn’t hesitate to bolt in a NY second for a better gig and more money at the next biggest program or the NFL, and leave his players nothing, but maybe at best a “nice knowin’ ya” card…

• djloo27 said, on December 31, 2016 at 6:53 pm

Like that Kelly prick who bailed on Cincy for ND right before their bowl game…

• zumiee said, on December 31, 2016 at 5:25 pm

I guess the other side of the argument would be that the Stanford defensive end who played so well surely moved up in the draft based on that performance, and will get a bigger contract. I’m not saying that’s a great argument, but some players do move up in the draft after a great bowl performance in the national spotlight.

• snarkk said, on December 31, 2016 at 5:59 pm

I look forward to the day where college athletes get paid, their coaches have to actually serve out their contracts, and athletes can transfer from a school with no sit-out penalty when their coach that recruited them bails for another school…

10. zumiee said, on December 31, 2016 at 5:43 pm

Another close loss for Harbaugh in a big game. I’ll give him credit for winning wherever he’s coached, but he’s lost a bunch of frustrating big games over the years.

11. wilcojoe said, on December 31, 2016 at 5:52 pm

Yeah, the bowl games outside of the three playoff games have become completely irrelevant. The only advantage of going bowling is it gives extra practice time for your underclassmen to get some work in before the long winter break that non-bowl eligible teams don’t get.

I love college football but even I can’t stomach
    Old Dominion and Eastern Michigan.

12. snarkk said, on December 31, 2016 at 6:14 pm

ESPN reporting both Baalke and Kelly to be fired after tomorrow’s game. Prince Jed is in over his head. Hire a smart, savvy football guy to clean up this mess…

13. snarkk said, on December 31, 2016 at 6:19 pm

Jake Butt, top-ranked senior TE for Michigan, tore his ACL tonight in the Orange Bowl. He was slated as first round pick this next draft. That’s gone now. Hey, if I’m heading into the draft, I am NOT playing in any damn bowl game. That is going to take off now, no question. And, it should…

• wilcojoe said, on December 31, 2016 at 7:21 pm

Damn. Jake Butt is the real deal too.

14. mrsprtdude said, on December 31, 2016 at 6:36 pm

Happy New Year Flappers!! Top players skipping bowl games a hard choice, but a flawed one for those who do imo. My son is going to play college lacrosse. Should he bail on his teammates and skip HS CIF playoffs?? I know not exactly the same, but it’s a team game…

• willedav said, on December 31, 2016 at 7:01 pm

I think the “meaningless game” argument is slippery slope to take. How/when/who makes that decision to put yourself above and beyond team and teammates? I think such a decision is purely selfish, which is antithesis to me of team sports. I understand why he did it and best luck going forward, but bottom line to me he turned his back on his teammates.

Suppose you are a good player on a crummy team going nowhere in middle of season, in any sport—why bother? Is it OK to just stop and say I’m going pro anyway I don’t need this? At what point do games become meaningless?

I said the same thing about Mac’s last game the one end of season that got rescheduled vs. Rice. That was as meaningless as they come and hey any time you step on a football field you could get hurt seriously.

15. djloo27 said, on December 31, 2016 at 7:10 pm

If you think about it, how nuts are the NFL and NBA drafts?
    What other profession forces you to work for their organization?

• xoot said, on December 31, 2016 at 8:28 pm

If google and facebook and apple and cetera all conspired to control the hiring of tech workers, they’d get slammed under the USofA antitrust laws. The professional sports leagues, however, get the “single entity” treatment. It’s the league that’s drafting players. And of course no A/T conspiracy’s possible with only one actor. So under the law, the NFL (or NBA) is a single “employer” considering many applicants. Legally speaking. At least that’s the way I remember it. Been a while since I fought any fights in that arena. MLB’s A/T exemption is even broader.

• djloo27 said, on January 1, 2017 at 7:47 am

Thank you, Xoot – great explanation.
        Happy 2017, everybody…

16. djloo27 said, on December 31, 2016 at 7:17 pm

How would you like to grow up in California, live in California, love California, graduate medical school in California, and be told to report to work in fuckin’ Green Bay?

• unca_chuck said, on December 31, 2016 at 7:34 pm

$45 mill can buy a lot of coats. Yeah, they are going to start forcing the kids to play in these dumbshit bowl games. The exodus will continue at an alarming rate more than likely.

17. wilcojoe said, on December 31, 2016 at 7:33 pm

The Rockets are a completely different team this year. Getting rid of Dwight Howard was the best thing that could have happened to them. Harden is actually playing selfless ball, dishing out to perimeter guys, which is giving defenses fits. In doing so, it’s opening up more holes for him to score. His line tonight: 53pts, 16Rb, 16as.

• djloo27 said, on December 31, 2016 at 7:48 pm

He might even be better than Toby Kimball…

• blade3colorado said, on December 31, 2016 at 8:43 pm

Or even Dr. Richard Kimble.

• willedav said, on December 31, 2016 at 9:20 pm

HOF all ugly team, right next to Henry Finkel and Mel Counts.

I’ve thought about this one–how in America can you tell someone like a HS kid with zero desire to sit in college classrooms that you cannot apply to earn a living in your chosen career as a pro b-ball (et al) player?

18. willedav said, on December 31, 2016 at 9:26 pm

The frosh star of UCLA Lonzo Ball has 2 younger brothers currently at the same HS he went to, Chino Hills in CA. Chino won State championship easily last year and they are nationally ranked again.
    This kid is one and done off to NBA, and his Dad says the plan is both the younger brothers will do the same thing—attend UCLA for a year and then go right into NBA.
    Why f-in bother? They want to go make money (for themselves) in their chosen profession. How can you not allow someone to do that if there is an employer willing to hire them and contract is agreed upon?

19. Macdog said, on December 31, 2016 at 10:32 pm

Funny thing about the players skipping meaningless bowl games is that the next action they see will be in equally meaningless preseason games, although at least they’ll be getting paid for the possibility of getting injured for no good reason.

20. unca_chuck said, on December 31, 2016 at 11:37 pm

MLB network is playing the 2012 playoffs/world series recap….. up next, Detroit.

21. unca_chuck said, on December 31, 2016 at 11:55 pm

Happy new year, all. Glad to see this year go . . .

22. Macdog said, on January 1, 2017 at 12:01 am