Bay Area Return of Rajai

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 4, 2017

My first reaction to the A’s signing Rajai Davis was the typical derisive harumph. And then I secretly bummed out for a few seconds wishing it was the Giants who had signed him. And then I remembered some of those unreal at bats during his time in SF. He would swing at pitches and miss them by 12 inches. Or more. He looked like a deranged homeless man in the park trying to beat back the voices in his head with a stick.

But boy did Rajai prove me wrong. Can you believe he’s ranked 99th all time in career stolen bases? That’s impressive for a guy who swung and missed at balls the way I would imagine myself swinging and missing at them if I had my shot in the batters box.

Anyone here bummed even the slightest that we didn’t sign Rajai to a 1 yr/6 mil deal?

1. gianthead said, on January 4, 2017 at 6:16 am

That is such a reasonable deal and get this…he played fornobly $5.25 mill last year with 43 stolen bags. So he is making half Spam’s money and way outplayed him last year. And he was available last year I think when we signed Spam…that hurts!!!

2. alleykat69 said, on January 4, 2017 at 6:28 am

Not to mention that epic “Bomb” he hit in the playoff game which still brings a smile to my face..

3. gianthead said, on January 4, 2017 at 6:43 am

Catching up with the last comments last night…that Korean player and his swing reminded me of Arroyo a lot. So we have a version of that 8 years younger. The video of his bombs would be magnificent long ATT outs.

Great article from Melancon, should somebody tell him and his kids about the Crazy Crab??? Loved the next article on the Players’ Tribune with the pictures of Bum going all Red Dawn…

Panik amd Dozier talk…I am confident mgmt is going to let this play out and see how Panik’s first half of the season plays out. Dozier in my mind is likely going to be available mid-season. The big plus for Panik and what the Giants need is a low salary and Panik will stay there for the next 3 years…

• chipower9 said, on January 4, 2017 at 10:46 am

I mentioned this yesterday in regards to Panik. I think the dude, when healthy, has potential to be close to a .300 hitter, and a regular gold glover. And as you point out, he is controllable ($$-wise) for the next three years. No way in hell I would package him for a trade. And I think you are right…Dozier will probably be available at the trade deadline. I am still a big NO on trading Panik.

4. Flavor said, on January 4, 2017 at 6:46 am

I’d take Rajai and that deal he got over Span and ANY deal he would get (even if you tore up the bad one he has now and signed him to 1 year/6mil) in a NANO SECOND.

• gianthead said, on January 4, 2017 at 8:33 am

Without a doubt

• chipower9 said, on January 4, 2017 at 10:47 am

I am hoping that Span has a bounce-back year, as they say he was still recovering from injuries last year. Time will tell, but it is time for ‘Ol Graybeard to put up or shut up. Show me the numbers, bitch!

5. willedav said, on January 4, 2017 at 7:13 am

Oh pls. Remember the poll on 2017 Span BA that “all the voters got wrong”? Well, Rajai last year hit .249, UNDER the .255 pole smoking bottom line projected for Span. And of course, worse than Span hit last year. Worse!
    His OB was .306…in short he ain’t getting on base much and this isn’t an improvement.

Hey if Evans would trade Span for Rajai and pay the A’s the difference in $$$ I’m sure it would lower the aggro level and make fans giddy. But for pure baseball reasons, it’s dumb and the primary reason is the same one all speed guys eventually stare in the face—you can’t steal first base. Rajai can’t hit anymore, doesn’t take walks and just isn’t on base enough to provide value.

6. willedav said, on January 4, 2017 at 7:24 am

OK so he hit a dramatic HR in playoffs last year. Um his own team didn’t want him back, just like Giants and Ishi. Do we want Ishi back?
    I mean, the A’s, the most irrelevant team in all baseball, signed him to play OF alongside guys like Smolinski no one has ever heard of. Next stop is taking over for Shooty Babbitt, or another continent.

• chipower9 said, on January 4, 2017 at 10:49 am

LULZ…WillieD is on a roll! I love it, brother. LMAO…

7. unca_chuck said, on January 4, 2017 at 8:13 am

No. The Raja is fricking 36 for God’s sake. There’s hope that Spam had a down/injured season and he will bounce back some. Even a little is a vast ocean better than Davis.

Rajai will only fade. His best OBP was .363. With us. 11 seasons ago.

Span isn’t anything to write home about, but Rajai would be a downgrade. Aggro levels would be in the red with him.

8. willedav said, on January 4, 2017 at 8:23 am

The A’s are the freaking Walmart of baseball full compliment of most reasonably priced players they can have.
    I like Semien and K Davis, but other than those 2 and Doolittle reliever that’s always hurt, I can’t name 2 or 3 other guys on entire team and doubt Rajai can either.

9. blade3colorado said, on January 4, 2017 at 9:13 am

Rajai was a guy that I would utilize occasionally in DFS when he went against a left handed pitcher with him batting right handed. Otherwise, he was usually forgettable. Ironically, his hitting and running stats, e.g., HR, doubles, triples, stolen bases, and strike outs were just about the same whether he batted against a left or right handed pitcher. Only his OBP and BA were significantly different. Weird.

No, I want Span every day and twice on Sunday, if the choice is between him and Davis.

• blade3colorado said, on January 4, 2017 at 9:27 am

My bad . . . In fairness, I was looking at his baseball reference splits wrong and not accounting for his PAs accurately.

10. Macdog said, on January 4, 2017 at 9:19 am

A Mets fan showed me this last night. the A’s better limit Rajai to night games:

11. chipower9 said, on January 4, 2017 at 10:53 am

I was catching-up on yesterday’s thread. I have to go watch those videos…thanks for the shares, fellas.

Blade – You said yesterday in regards to the Melancon signing: “* I didn’t much care for this signing, but Melancon won my heart in this letter to the fans, so I’m down with him being part of our team and hope he can produce. Seems like a stand up guy.”

So, who else would you have preferred? My first choice was Jansen, but I really had little hope that it would happen. The handwriting was on the wall that Melancon would be the guy, and I am good with that. Personally, I would have taken Melancon over Chapman…especially for the coin/duration Chapman was seeking.

• blade3colorado said, on January 4, 2017 at 11:19 am

I liked Jansen too. However, the entire MLB tilt toward big closer contracts is a bit overdone in my opinion. I would prefer in-house solutions, but apparently the Giants (and other teams) do not think that way works anymore. In short, that coin could have gone towards a good to very good left fielder.

One other thing, If you are just going by “stuff,” Casilla has it over Melancon. Yeah, I get it that he is persona non grata in the bay area (especially after that horrific last month he had), but I wouldn’t mind having him back as an 8th inning guy, just in case Melancon blows up.

Or . . . I still want the Giants to grab Holland. I think he will come back strong from his injury and he seems relatively inexpensive. Anywho, I know most of you disagree with Casilla or Holland being pursued (albeit, I think Flavor likes Holland coming on board).

• unca_chuck said, on January 4, 2017 at 11:33 am

I think last year was a clear indication of what can go terribly wrong when your closer goes south. By the end, Bochy was picking names out of a hat.

And I’m not behind getting Casilla back at all. Like Romo, something went wrong in their heads, in different ways, to precipitate cutting them loose. Romo laughing his way off the mound as the season crumbled was galling. It doesn’t take away what he has done over the years, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and he did it twice.

Like Roger Craig throwing Guy MacIntyre under the bus in that NFC championship game all those years ago, it soured me on the guy.

Casilla definitely needs a new destination. A more forgiving fanbase, or whatever. He admitted that the crowd getting down on him affected his pitching.

• chipower9 said, on January 4, 2017 at 1:00 pm

Based on what we have in-house, no way I wanted to roll the dice in that fashion with a closer. Bottom-line, if we would have had someone like a Melancon last year, there is a definite chance that our boys could have won another title. After the meltdown last year, I was all for going out and getting a legit, PROVEN closer.

Jansen was my first choice, and I saw little likelihood of that happening. And as I mentioned, I liked Melancon over Chapman.

No contest for me on a choice between spending the coin on a, again, PROVEN closer or a LFer. Fuck that…give me a closer 100 out of 100 times, and I will roll with MacParker in LF….fuck, I would even take Pagan as my starting LFer with a proven closer.

Closer was the priority to me, all the way…

• gianthead said, on January 4, 2017 at 5:28 pm

One thing we know of ownership, they watch the bottom line. Being at luxury cap level, they are not bringing Casilla or Romo back and we have a lot of in-house arms to fill up roster spots.

If the bullpen looks rock solid this season and likely to be the group for 2018 and Blach holds down the 5th spot, I say it is time to start moving the Blackburns and
        Strattons in the system for some potential young outfielding prospects…those numerous young arms may have nowhere to go unless Cueto opts out or Smardjaramjam fails to elevate his game and we need to move that contract…

• gianthead said, on January 4, 2017 at 5:27 pm

12. chipower9 said, on January 4, 2017 at 10:55 am

ONLY 40 daze until pitchers and catchers report. I can almost smell the fresh-cut grass and the aroma of hot dogs wafting through the ballpark air…

PLAY BALL, bitches!

Starting to look at Opening Day tix. Any other Flappers plan to be there???

13. blade3colorado said, on January 4, 2017 at 1:26 pm

Fun fact unrelated to baseball – The 49ers may owe as much as $69 million, to past coaches they’ve fired over the last three seasons alone, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter (via CBSSports.com’s Will Brinson). People queried around the sport, said they could not remember the last time a team owed so much money to past head coaches in such a short span.

• sfsarge said, on January 4, 2017 at 1:34 pm

Which is why petulant children or grown ups who act like them shouldn’t be running football teams. Well, at least not ones that I have been a fan of my whole life.

• unca_chuck said, on January 4, 2017 at 1:54 pm

The Raiders went through this when Reundead Al was still undead.

• snarkk said, on January 4, 2017 at 2:48 pm

At least Al had the excuse of being old and sick that last decade of suckage he presided over. And, he’s probably on Mt. NFLmore for a lifetime of real success and impact as a football mover/shaker. Jed has no such excuse or pedigree…

14. unca_chuck said, on January 4, 2017 at 1:54 pm

I’m sure Baalke’s money is part of that. Along with the various OCs and DCs, ST coaches, and the like.

Good news is that money isn’t part of the salary cap. It comes straight out of Jed’s pocket.

• snarkk said, on January 4, 2017 at 2:43 pm

Do assistant coaches normally get multi-year deals the same length as the contract of the HC that hires them? I can’t see how Jed possibly can owe that much…

• unca_chuck said, on January 4, 2017 at 3:50 pm

Some high profile OCs and DCs get big money. Jason Garrett was getting $4 mill a yearwhen he was Wade Phillips’ OC.

• chipower9 said, on January 4, 2017 at 3:24 pm

And Jed and the Dorks deserve to have to pay all of those millions. Those asshats have completely driven a once-great franchise into the fucking ground.

The fuckhead little asswhipe Jed just needs to hire some football people, top to bottom, to run the show and just shut the fuck up. I cannot stand that fuckhead.

• sfsarge said, on January 4, 2017 at 6:11 pm

Right there with you brother. We definitely see eye to eye on the niners or TPFTOSC as I now call them and will continue to rever to them as long as the dorks and paraag continue to meddle in football business

15. blade3colorado said, on January 4, 2017 at 3:11 pm

I think Stix would like this guy . . . http://www.denverpost.com/2017/01/03/man-living-glenwood-springs-caves-sentenced/

16. gianthead said, on January 4, 2017 at 5:18 pm

Well we will disagree on Rajai vs. Spam. The 43 stolen bases to 12 is the big difference for me. But if we had Rajai at half of Spam’s salary, they may have had a little extra juice to have picked up a left-fielder..

17. djloo27 said, on January 4, 2017 at 5:24 pm

I’m real sure the Giants want Williamson to take over LF.
    From the way he was (and wasn’t) used, I don’t think they like Parker.
    I think they’ll try to package him somewhere down the line.
    Does any team really stick to a platoon system anymore?

18. zumiee said, on January 4, 2017 at 6:03 pm

For what it’s worth, Ken Rosenthal on the MLB Network this morning said: “Bobby Evans said the Giants roster is pretty much complete.”

• snarkk said, on January 4, 2017 at 6:36 pm

Without a real LFer, I disagree…

19. alleykat69 said, on January 4, 2017 at 7:04 pm

It’s scary how Evans thinks we’re good in the OF? If Pence breaks down again are next best outfielder is really Gorky Hernandez???

• snarkk said, on January 4, 2017 at 7:32 pm

I hope somebody else signs Blanco ASAP so the Giants don’t bring him back on a minor league deal…

20. unca_chuck said, on January 4, 2017 at 7:40 pm

Do you really think Rajai gets 43 steals here? Nunez is younger and faster and we didn’t run him.

• Flavor said, on January 4, 2017 at 7:41 pm

Well shit, how slow is he gonna get in a year? But I will air on the side of caution and say he gets 20 next year since the A’s love to platoon guys……

• unca_chuck said, on January 4, 2017 at 9:25 pm

It ain’t Rajai’s speed, it’s Bochy’s reluctance to run.

21. Flavor said, on January 4, 2017 at 7:40 pm

the biggest worry about Pence is that he’s been buried 3 feet deep in pussy for going on 2 years. Dawg needs to come up for some air at some point.

22. willedav said, on January 4, 2017 at 7:52 pm

I like Alan Crabbe, see what he does tonite with a start and no Lillard. Bad do, but he can shoot and score..

23. willedav said, on January 4, 2017 at 8:36 pm

Ezeli in suit on the bench still, that’s too bad.
    In the Walton bio he leads a charmed life up until his body gives out not long after they win a title with Blazers and he goes steadily downhill from there. Very sobering to read all that happens to him; great to see him doing college games out here, apparently recovered at least enough so he can travel and be himself.

• chipower9 said, on January 5, 2017 at 9:01 am

He never seemed to have an issue making it to all the Grateful Dead shows…

24. Macdog said, on January 4, 2017 at 8:55 pm

Re Davis in Oakland: Aren’t Beane’s A’s usually anti-stolen bases?

• chipower9 said, on January 5, 2017 at 9:01 am

Billy Beane is the manager of the A’s? 😉

25. unca_chuck said, on January 4, 2017 at 9:27 pm

The Warriors are baffling at time where they don’t play defense and just expect the O to carry the day. 71 in the 1st half to a Lillard-less Portland?

2nd half is a little better, but both teams may break 100 in the 3rd.

26. unca_chuck said, on January 4, 2017 at 10:27 pm

So, Grayson (what, me worry?) Allen’s indefinite suspension is one game?

Please. Coach K is a wimp.

• snarkk said, on January 4, 2017 at 11:25 pm

Kid has a mental problem of some sort. He needs some help away from the court. Coach K is a Dbag. Any other league and coach, and the league suspends the kid for multiple games or a season. K was throwing his weight at the league, daring anybody to deal with the situation over his head. I’ve never liked the guy, and this is another example of his Dbaggery and massive ego. 3 “intentional” trips in less than a year? Unacceptable. BTW, what’s the deal with a 70 year old guy with jet black hair?…

27. unca_chuck said, on January 4, 2017 at 10:55 pm

What’s funny is the college football national championship is lost to me as with the new years weekend gone, I had forgotten that there is even a game coming up.

• snarkk said, on January 4, 2017 at 11:29 pm

How reliable are these idiotic college rankings? Answer: not at all.
      Supposed 4 top teams, and both games are blowouts.
      There should be an 8-team playoff. Much more unlikely that in that format, the best team is excluded. USC, and though I hate to say it, Penn State, should have been in the mix…

28. chipower9 said, on January 5, 2017 at 9:06 am

And into the 30s we zoom…

Only 39 daze until pitchers and catchers report.

Play ball, bitches!