Christian Arroyo

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 16, 2017

I am the biggest Nunie fan there is but I would gladly send him to the bench if Christian Arroyo can play. And I hope he gets a chance to earn the job in spring training. I could care less about *projections*. Nobody knows. Fangraphs projects him as a *Prado at his peak*? Keith Law basically said he could win a batting title. Frankly, we would take either. None of it matters till we see what they can do with regular at bats at this level.

I think it’s clear he’s not a power hitter. Neither is the great and all knowing Nunie. Other than lacking power, nobody knows what Arroyo would do up here. And if he’s not ready, so what? Send him back down and let the reliable Nunie take over.

Go take a look at Gary Sanchez’ minor league numbers and tell me the Yankees saw THAT coming. Keith Law probably didn’t know who that guy was when he got called up.

I will never understand all the hand wringing and worrying front offices do about the psyches of their prospects.

It’s baseball, not the battlefield. Nobody dies if you fuck up.

By the way, I offered free money a couple of days ago and I’m sure nobody took the bait:

Iโ€™m not betting but if I were, this is what I would be doing:

Seattle +4 (if the choice is Wilson or Ryan Iโ€™m going RW all day long)

Houston +16 (this is a straight *go opposite of public opinion* bet)

KC -1 (just cause I want them to win)

Dallas -4 (GB will have a hard time stopping the Dallas O)

Feel free to go oppo of all that and make some serious coin with your bookie.

1. zumiee said, on January 16, 2017 at 7:23 am

I couldn’t get past “bookie” being a real word.

2. wilcojoe said, on January 16, 2017 at 7:24 am

You nailed the George Coztanza four team parlay, Flav!

• blade3colorado said, on January 16, 2017 at 9:27 am

lulz

3. willedav said, on January 16, 2017 at 7:34 am

I remember listening to Wotus in ST last year saying he thought 3b was best spot for Arroyo. Giants were a pretty good defensive team overall last year, and the IF plus Posey is dang good. Belt saves Craw his share of throwing errors, but both he and Panik are great up the middle. All of them save runs and wear and tear on SPs.

I think there is a lot to be said for that, and I’m sure the plan is to give Arroyo enough time at one spot to be more than adequate. Last year Specs had some issues backing up Craw, and moving around isn’t easy esp since Specs didn’t play all that much to begin with.

The great Yankee teams that I grew to hate in the ’60s had IF defense as a cornerstone. In this day of supreme offense and power numbers for middle IF guys, I still think it has value.

Mickey Stanley is a great call tho from Loo. Guys like Biggio moved to the OF, as did other big hitters like Hank Aaron and Reggie Smith (2b with Red Sox), but moving someone in to play SS in World Series is a one off.

Chiefs had a good season, winning a tough division, kicking hated rival Raiders booty twice and securing a home game. Like I used to tell HS kids, once you get in the playoffs, only one team is gonna go home happy and everyone else will lose their last game.

4. djloo27 said, on January 16, 2017 at 8:30 am

“The great and all knowing Nunie” gets me every time…

5. blade3colorado said, on January 16, 2017 at 8:37 am

Flav, did you change the font and/or boldness on the display? I am having a hard time reading the posts. Thanks!

• blade3colorado said, on January 16, 2017 at 8:57 am

Disregard . . . I adjusted my monitor (easier).

6. Bozo said, on January 16, 2017 at 8:59 am

Arroyo seemed to struggle a bit at AA, so unless he has an incredible Spring, I’d imagine he starts the year at AAA but I also wouldn’t be surprised to see him start the year back at Richmond.
    The Giants started playing him at 2B some last year, so if there is a major injury at some point, that would give the Giants an additional option but I don’t expect to see him until September. The kid is only 21 so I’m not sure why there is a push to give him a starting job.

The guy I want to see in ST is Austin Slater. He has jumped from A to AAA in two years, a contact hitter who also has some pop and he’s been playing all OF positions. I imagine he would have to beat out Gorkys and/or Ruggiano for the last OF slot. Still, the kid is getting fast tracked so I think he’ll be making some noise soon.

• giants54 said, on January 16, 2017 at 9:16 am

Good post. G’s are still very high on Arroyo but clearly his numbers in AA clearly show he’s not ready.
      In addition to his hitting, his defense at 3b needs work. That’s why he’s not playing LF. Master the hot corner first. He was drafted as a SS.

And agree about Slater. He’s one to watch if Williamson Parker don’t pan out.

7. James said, on January 16, 2017 at 9:33 am

By all means, give Arroyo a chance. Nunez is the kind of high batting average, base-stealing player the now no longer new fangled stats warn you not to overrate. He’s no favorite of mine. OTOH, the likelihood that Arroyo will be an 800 OPS player in 2017 isn’t that good. That’s what the broader patterns say. Maybe he’ll defy those odds – some always do. So far, he’s been a hacker with a low OBP and little power.

8. James said, on January 16, 2017 at 9:44 am

May Christian’s career surpass this slow footed, non-hacker’s:

9. snarkk said, on January 16, 2017 at 9:59 am

What are the Niners doing interviewing Tom Cable? Win with class? If Prince Jed hires Cable, the Niners will lose what’s left of their fanbase…

10. alleykat69 said, on January 16, 2017 at 11:24 am

Cable broke his own hired assistant’s jaw,2 charges of beating up women,but “Spoiled little brat Jed believes he does it with class”
    Rule out McDaniels&Shanahan they have to much class to take this pathetic job as long as wonder boy is still calling the shots! Same goes with a intelligent GM! Better jobs will open up for coaches and GM’s then looking like failures if they come here..

11. unca_chuck said, on January 16, 2017 at 11:32 am

I think it’ll be Shanny’s son, Kyle. At least I hope. The prospect isn’t entirely thrilling, but Shanahan has done wonders with Atl’s offense. And Cable? Why they even bother unless it’s a totally onerous fallback position.

My other hope is they get Eliot Wolf from the Packers.

Say what you will about the stupid front office, if they could land these guys, the team would be a good shape.

At least those guys are the real deal. As long as the Dorks stay in the background.

The thing about the NFL is, NO team is that far from being good. Parity is a real and tangible thing in the NFL, and teams can crawl from the bottom to the top fairly quickly.

We aren’t as in good shape as we were when Harbaugh came, and the team was loaded with top draft picks, there is still a nucleus of talent to build around.

Get a QB, a pass rusher, and a WR, and we are better than AZ.

Oh yeah. Where am I mailing that bottlle of Ripple?

• Flavor said, on January 16, 2017 at 1:10 pm

just give it to me next time I see you.

12. alleykat69 said, on January 16, 2017 at 11:49 am

Don’t you have to interview a African American as a coaching candidate? Maybe they figure Cable was their guy with all his black marks?

13. blade3colorado said, on January 16, 2017 at 12:19 pm

I like how this guy thinks regarding his perspective of the “prototype” MLB lead off hitter . . .

“Let’s look at the Giants, for example. Denard Span — a center-fielder who stole 31 bases in 2014 and has never hit more than 11 homers in a season — is your prototype. Of course, last season he hit .266 with a .331 OBP. The league average OBP was .322, so he’s above average, but not by much.

Look at first base and see Brandon Belt. He didn’t steal a single base. He did slug .474 due to 41 doubles, eight triples and 17 homers (consider the home ballpark and what it does to lefties — otherwise Belt is over 20 homers easily). He also hit .275 with a .394 OBP, ranking fourth in the NL.

Sorry, traditionalists, I’m hitting Belt leadoff there. Sure, he can’t steal, but you can’t steal first base. Gimme the guy who gets on the most, and follow him with Buster Posey and Hunter Pence.

But, Matt, what do you do with cleanup?

I don’t care. Brandon Crawford, probably. Are we really going to be so concerned with the nickname “cleanup hitter” that we’re gonna give an inferior player more at-bats than Posey over the course of the season? Who would you rather step to the plate more often: Posey or Span? Be serious.”

Here’s the rest of the column . . . http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/think-you-know-what-it-takes-to-be-an-mlb-leadoff-hitter-think-again/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=mlb

Flapper thoughts?

• blade3colorado said, on January 16, 2017 at 12:24 pm

So, to summarize . . .

Belt
      Posey
      Pence
      Crawford
      Panik*
      Nunez*
      Span*
      Parker/Williamson*

* All interchangeable

• Flavor said, on January 16, 2017 at 1:12 pm

I’d be fine with this. I’ve always wanted to see Belt leadoff. Just don’t think Bochy will ever do it. But, he did lead Rowand off for a spell. Maybe?

• blade3colorado said, on January 16, 2017 at 1:33 pm

Yeah, dunno about Bochy, who rarely thinks outside the box. That being said, even Tito – as indicated in the column – would revert to the “book” and install his 2nd favorite lead off hitter, Rajai Davis, with the horrible .306 OBP. lulz

In any event, I get tired of all the sacred cows so to speak being inviolable . . . Shake it up and do something different. With our ball yard and roster, forget about the bomb. Not going to happen. We’re wasting Belt in the 3, 4, or 5th spot in the line up. He should be getting the most at bats with his great OBP . . .Same deal with Posey at #2.

• Macdog said, on January 16, 2017 at 2:08 pm

If nothing else, Belt might help drive up the starter’s pitch count from the get-go, even on those occasions when he looks at strike 3. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• djloo27 said, on January 16, 2017 at 3:14 pm

Pence lead off a lot when Pagan went down in 2014, but Pence could run.
        Personally, I don’t like the idea of a big clod with an RBI bat leading off.
        He’ll clog the base paths and he’ll probably come up a lot with nobody on…

• blade3colorado said, on January 16, 2017 at 3:55 pm

Loo, without researching it, I recall many articles (scouting reports) on how well Belt runs. Obviously, it isn’t reflected in his SB totals, but it is in his ability to hit for doubles. In fact, he has had 18 stolen bases in the minors (2010 I think) and had 12 SBs stolen in 2012 and 9 in 2015. He has wheels IMO.

• djloo27 said, on January 16, 2017 at 5:15 pm

Instead of losing a dozen or so homers a year in triples alley, I’d like to see Belt learn to pull the ball a lousy 307 feet down the RF line once in a while…

14. Flavor said, on January 16, 2017 at 2:08 pm

agree, Blade. But for all the great things about baseball one of the worst parts is….waiting around for shit to happen. It’s part of the game. And nobody waits around for shit better than Boch. Unless the bullpen is in the game. He’s quite active when that’s happening.

15. Flavor said, on January 16, 2017 at 2:09 pm

Next year is a huge year for Bochy. He was awful last year. Looked like a shadow of himself. Has the game passed him by? Has he gotten too old? Is his health failing him? All valid questions after last year’s horrible job. I wouldn’t be surprised if he bounced back.
    I wouldn’t be surprised if this is who he is now…..

• alleykat69 said, on January 16, 2017 at 2:47 pm

Maybe Bochy just had subpar cases of wine ๐Ÿท to drink last year..

16. Bozo said, on January 16, 2017 at 2:10 pm

Blade – I’m thinking that Posey’s hold on the team lead in GIDP wouldn’t be in jeopardy. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• alleykat69 said, on January 16, 2017 at 2:45 pm

Blade…Yeah now that DP McGehee no longer plays with us thank god!!

17. alleykat69 said, on January 16, 2017 at 2:22 pm

Got to comment on Travis “Hothead Loser Kelce”
    Pittsburgh had a game plan to neutralize him and Tyreek Hill which they did well. They got in the head of Kelce to the point he knocks over the DB costing 15yards and finishing that drive, then goes and rips the official a new one after the game about the obvious hold on Eric Fisher on the 2 other conversion saying that dude shouldn’t even be allowed to wear a zebra shirt at foot locker?? Guess his stupid reality show makes him think he’s above all criticism! Well your not dickwad( that’s for Twin) and the only guy who took it like a man was Eric Fisher, who to the shit and never complained about the call, cause he knew he held but took lt like a professional unlike Loser Kelce!!

18. Bozo said, on January 16, 2017 at 3:34 pm

Happy birthday Murph! What a great photo..

• djloo27 said, on January 16, 2017 at 3:50 pm

Looks like Willie autographed the table.
      I know that signature from any angle…

19. blade3colorado said, on January 16, 2017 at 4:06 pm

I love Bochy, but you’re right Flav (your comments about him). No dickin’ around next season with players who aren’t cutting it. Give you a couple of examples right now . . .

Cain – I will be down with one month of starts for this “has been” (my opinion at the moment). If he can’t cut it, next player in line.

Conversely, I do think Parker/Williamson can go two ways – decide on one or the other . . . or, if you do a platoon, let both fucking “marinate” until the all star break and if it’s not working, than get help via a trade ASAP.

• snarkk said, on January 16, 2017 at 6:21 pm

$20 million says Cain pitches until it’s too painful to watch, then onto the DL, as usual…

20. snarkk said, on January 16, 2017 at 6:27 pm

Draymond gave LeBron pretty much a shoulder shot at mid court, and LeBron put on the Oscar performance like he got shot. Ridiculous. They gave Draymond a flagrant, but I saw him making a move for the ball. LeBron is a wuss, and gets protected. Curry gets mugged, and no call…

• Flavor said, on January 16, 2017 at 7:48 pm

that was absurd, wasn’t it? I can’t believe LeFlop pulled that shit in Oakland. In Clev I see him doing it. But in Oakland?

21. djloo27 said, on January 16, 2017 at 8:05 pm

New York Post is reporting that the Giants and Rangers might be the only two remaining possibilities for the Mets to unload Jay Bruce…

• Macdog said, on January 16, 2017 at 8:36 pm

My Mets fans co-workers said that writer is a clown.

• djloo27 said, on January 16, 2017 at 8:47 pm

Us clowns take that as an insult…

22. unca_chuck said, on January 16, 2017 at 8:07 pm

As bad as the play was, the call was absolutely absurd.

The league better take that call back. It was not even close to a flagrant. Fucking LeCupcake should be fined for the poor acting job.

23. unca_chuck said, on January 16, 2017 at 8:07 pm

If anything LeBron gave himself whiplash throwing his head back.

24. unca_chuck said, on January 16, 2017 at 8:34 pm

A better bullpen would have made Boch look a little better.

25. djloo27 said, on January 16, 2017 at 8:36 pm

The fact that Prince Fielder and his dad Cecil both retired with exactly 319 homers might be the sickest thing I have ever heard…

26. unca_chuck said, on January 16, 2017 at 9:24 pm

Yeah, thought about Belt leading off a while back. It isn’t the worst idea out there.