Stubborn Belt

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 20, 2017

I was listening to BamBam get interviewed on KNBR last night. Very interesting. One thing that stood out was his comments about Belt. You don’t say this publicly if it didn’t happen. BamBam said that Belt openly avoided taking hitting advice at one point telling Bambam 2 years into his big league time: “I hit .350 in the minors.” BamBam’s response: “Yes but this is the major leagues.”

Apparently that was the tipping point for Belt when it came to changing his approach to hitting and taking feedback from the coaches. I think BamBam said he started taking feedback “two and a half years in.”

I get tired of hearing Belt never changed. He did. And it was due to his stubbornness that it took so long.

1. chipower9 said, on January 20, 2017 at 8:57 am

Only 24 (Say Hey) daze until pitchers and catchers report. Play ball!

2. unca_chuck said, on January 20, 2017 at 9:04 am

This is my reply to Blade from the previous thread:

And if my aunt had balls she’d be my uncle. The point is they DID fuck up. Hugely – Bigly even. You can’t tell me you want Romo and Lopez back, let alone Casilla based on the fact that their numbers were similar, minus the 30 blown leads!

• blade3colorado said, on January 20, 2017 at 11:13 am

and my reply . . . from the last thread:

No, I have said repeatedly, GET HOLLAND. Failing that (and they were set with Melancon and no one else), yeah, I would have brought back Casilla as an long reliever. I believe in redemption, even for him. He was always a good Giant and who knows? Maybe his psychological issues in the 9th inning go away. It wouldn’t be the first time. Tell me this Chuck . . . and please look at his stats to refresh your memory . . . Do you think he completely lost his stuff last year and it was a physical problem?

• unca_chuck said, on January 20, 2017 at 12:40 pm

He pitched the same amount of innings in 2015 and 2016
        His era went up nearly a full point
        Runs went up 4
        HRs went up 2
        Losses went up 3 games
        Wins went down 2 games
        Saves went down 7
        WP went up 3
        HBP went up 3
        Balks went from 0 to 2
        Games finished went down 11 games!!!

Where did he improve or stay the same?
        Walks went down 4
        Ks went up 3
        Hits went down 1

Casilla’s 2nd half ERA was 4.63

• blade3colorado said, on January 20, 2017 at 1:01 pm

We’ll just have to agree to disagree. 🙂

• unca_chuck said, on January 20, 2017 at 1:12 pm

My point is, he wasn’t the same guy. His number have gotten markedly worse since 2014.

He pitched 58 innings all 3 seasons. His ear has gone from 1.70 to 3.57. I just don’t see that as being the same.

I think he has a physical problem. He’s getting older.

But he himself admitted to having psychological problems with the fans booing him. And that wouldn’t have stopped. Once ther fans figure out that a guy deserves boos, they aren’t going to let up. See: Alex Smith.

I wouldn’t have terribly minded him coming back as a 7th inning guy, but they cut their ties. I get that too.

3. unca_chuck said, on January 20, 2017 at 9:43 am

Wow. Cops gone wild . . .

wrong link

4. unca_chuck said, on January 20, 2017 at 9:54 am

Here’s a guy in the middle of it.

5. unca_chuck said, on January 20, 2017 at 9:59 am

Just saw a guy with a Giants hat!!

6. gianthead said, on January 20, 2017 at 10:18 am

So then is it the hitting coach’s fault he constantly can’t catch up to the high strike???

7. unca_chuck said, on January 20, 2017 at 10:34 am

To a point, sure. He needs to learn a better way to handle that pitch.

8. djloo27 said, on January 20, 2017 at 11:06 am

Cops need to bust some heads…

9. blade3colorado said, on January 20, 2017 at 1:22 pm

Unca, I am not saying you don’t have good points. However, check out his first 6 seasons with Oakland. He was a disaster. My “peripheral stats” are his WHIP last season (1.19), hits down from year before, walks (19 – excellent), and SOs (highest ever). His WHIP is frickin’ outstanding. Very few base runners (again, see his SOs, walks, hits).

Like I said, we’ll just have to disagree. Me? I understand totally why he got a 2 year contract with the A’s to be their 8th inning guy and possibly their closer, should the other guy falter.

• unca_chuck said, on January 20, 2017 at 3:00 pm

I think a lot of his problems are between his ears. He still has the stuff, but he gets stubborn. When he goes bad, he goes off the rails and all bets are off. Forgetting to cover home and other mental lapses aren’t part of these stats. And this lasts over 3-4 appearances. He never recovered last year.

Change of scenery yadda yada yadda will do him good I’m sure. But I’m glad he’s gone.

• blade3colorado said, on January 20, 2017 at 3:22 pm

I can agree with you there.

• unca_chuck said, on January 20, 2017 at 4:08 pm

Heh heh! Not trying to piss you off, but man, Casilla was a disaster down the stretch. Anmd when these guys lose the mojo to close, they rarely get it back.

10. pawliekokonuts said, on January 20, 2017 at 1:27 pm

Maybe Belt will be named Deputy Secretary of Education, owing to his watchamacallit, learnability.

11. unca_chuck said, on January 20, 2017 at 3:02 pm

It it’s good enough for Steve Harvey, it’s good enough for Belt.

12. blade3colorado said, on January 20, 2017 at 5:22 pm

Former New York Jets All-Pro defensive end Mark Gastineau revealed Thursday that he’s been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s and dementia.

The disclosure of Gastineau’s illnesses comes a week after Bo Jackson told USA Today’s Bob Nightengale that he “would have never played football” if he knew about the potential long-term effects the game can have on a player’s mental health.

Sad.

• zumiee said, on January 20, 2017 at 5:38 pm

It makes you wonder if it was a big factor in O.J.’s descent into murder.

• blade3colorado said, on January 20, 2017 at 5:45 pm

What really gets me Zumiee, is that there is still an NFL. Almost weekly, we hear about a former player being diagnosed with Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s or dementia. Or, they have a crippling disease, e.g., arthritis, where they can not walk (Earl Campbell). Surprised the league is able to survive with these disclosures.

• djloo27 said, on January 21, 2017 at 7:15 am

But the glove didn’t fit!

13. blade3colorado said, on January 20, 2017 at 5:30 pm

Pelican 212 knocking them dead at the inauguration ball, playing the Monkees, “I’m A Believer.”

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz . . .

14. Macdog said, on January 20, 2017 at 8:44 pm

I was done with Casilla when he had his Benitez-like moment by balking in the winning run at San Diego shortly after the All-Star break.

15. snarkk said, on January 20, 2017 at 9:03 pm

4+ years of crapocrity by the Gamer, I never heard him getting criticized in public by Giants management until they finally booted his ass. But apparently, Belt is fair game even after they give him a big dollar, long term deal. I don’t see the point of it…

16. unca_chuck said, on January 20, 2017 at 10:06 pm

Blade, I was very shocked by the backlash that Bo Jackson got for saying that. Like he isn;’t qualified to make decisions about his health.

• djloo27 said, on January 21, 2017 at 7:39 am

You’re very emotional lately, Chuck.
      I hope everything is okay…

• blade3colorado said, on January 21, 2017 at 8:44 am

I didn’t know that Unca. I tried to access this site, but wasn’t able to find the article about Jackson. By the by, I like how this “Press Reader” scrolls left to right versus down.

Probably nothing (and I apologize if I am out of line), but I echo what Loo said – are things all right in your part of the world? Same goes for all of you guys. I always wish you all well.

Going to share something . . . I’ve been upset lately. Linh is having a very difficult pregnancy and last week, the doctor said the gestation growth of the unborn baby is behind, i.e., the baby was 12.5 weeks old and should have gestation growth of 15 weeks. Not certain what all this means, so consequently I was confused. Obviously, I feel a lot of guilt for being in Colorado and not in Vietnam. I asked Linh to discuss it with her family (fortunately, she is now living with them in Tuy Hoa and not alone in Saigon). They insisted that I stay here and not worry. I did find out subsequently, the baby is healthy, but just small. They are doing more tests and I will find out more in a week. Nervous as hell regardless.

I promised a buddy last year before I got married that I would not only do his wedding, but officiate (long story). Anyway, I bought tickets to Hawaii where the wedding is next month, along with renting a condo. I could give 2 shits about all that – Linh’s family or her says don’t go, than I book to Vietnam directly. In any event, this is weighing on me. Still haven’t done my taxes and I said fuck it regarding the sale of my condo, as I would probably miss the birth of my son (not certain I shared that, but we found out it is a boy). I feel absolutely useless here, although I have to take care of certain things before Hawaii and Vietnam.

K . . . got that off my chest. Back to baseball . . . 🙂

17. willedav said, on January 21, 2017 at 7:51 am

Wonder if there is some F/G stat line on how Belt did vs. shift. That has to be his next adjustment—taking advantage of an outside pitch when teams have only 1 IF on entire left side. Trying to brazen it out and blast through it like he’s Ted Williams seems like it would be frustrating and unproductive.
    However, iirc Belt said he wasn’t into changing his approach; with so much open field to play with it looks like a chance to take singles/doubles if you can slice hits into it without a big swing.

18. willedav said, on January 21, 2017 at 8:09 am

Belt (like a lot of hitters) gets fooled a lot by the change up, which looks like it’s great pitch for him to extend his arms and drive but the speed fools him and ball falls off the table. With how hard so many guys throw these days surprised more flamethrowers don’t make better use of it.
    Mario Soto, guy I really liked, was awesome with it.

19. Bozo said, on January 21, 2017 at 8:56 am

Happy birthday to Craw and Kruk.

20. unca_chuck said, on January 21, 2017 at 3:19 pm

Actually, no. Going through some really scary shit with one of my kids. What is fucked up is it is going to take a while to resolve. I;ll take it off line.

21. unca_chuck said, on January 21, 2017 at 3:23 pm

I’m also fairly angry about the election. Especially after seeing the rallies against Trump.

Trump is obviously going to create his own reality.

Spicer’s first briefing was to tell the world that Trump’s crowds were bigger than Obama’s. And how the media lied about the numbers. Trump speaks in front of the CIA yesterday. The same CIA that he likened to the Nazis. So naturally Trump blames the media for that. And he talks about the crowds.

He’s going to scrap the 1st amendment very soon.