A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Bye Bye Romo

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 4, 2017

The angst on twitter from Giants fans about Romo leaving for the Dodgers is surprising me. Who cares? He did his job here and did it well. He directly contributed to three rings. The Giants didn’t offer him a deal. He’s obviously declining. He signed with his hometown team. It’s almost another win for us since I bet he sucks this year. Nobody could do the Dodgers the way the GREAT Jason Schmidt did them. But if we’re lucky, Romo could “Schmidt” them a little. At least “Schmidt-stain” them…..

Ok, as of 7:26am PST no one has gotten the current “Name this Giant” and so I’ll leave him up with a hint: He’s a pitcher. He pitched one year for us and one year for the Angels. No other mlb appearances. His name is well remembered by me but I’m insane that way so maybe this guy will stump everyone for once.

And here are the most current standings:

Loo 12

Diggity 7

Wilco 7

Chuck 3

Blade 2

Kat, That Fucking Clown, MacDog 1

Name THIS Giant:

screenshot-2017-02-05-at-6-33-35-pm

1. wilcojoe said, on February 4, 2017 at 8:04 am

It’s not Ed Halicki though he too only pitched for us and the Angels. Hmmm. This one is tough.

2. wilcojoe said, on February 4, 2017 at 8:15 am

My first thought was Bochy wearing a retro Giants cap (orange friday’s). That would be a genius move on your part.

• alleykat69 said, on February 4, 2017 at 9:04 am

Lol WJ I was thinking the same thought last night!

3. djloo27 said, on February 4, 2017 at 8:15 am

It would be easy to look up, but I’m not…

4. djloo27 said, on February 4, 2017 at 8:20 am

I know Allen Watson bounced around so it ain’t him…

5. sandog said, on February 4, 2017 at 8:31 am

Alan Fowlkes?

• wilcojoe said, on February 4, 2017 at 8:42 am

You seriously got that without looking it up? If so, that is the most impressive feat ever on the Flap.

• djloo27 said, on February 4, 2017 at 9:31 am

6. willedav said, on February 4, 2017 at 8:32 am

Wouldn’t surprise me Romo helps LA. His fastball isn’t that great to begin with, so what if he loses a few mph?
    He just couldn’t seem to locate as well vs. LH as he did RH, whom he ate alive.
    While I trust B/R implicitly, they list him as 5-11 185…hmmnn.

Plus, he’s got 3 more rings to flash around the clubhouse than entire Dodgers team.

7. willedav said, on February 4, 2017 at 9:01 am

From True Blue Dodger blog:
    jimhitchcock says “if Romo is really bad can we fit him with cement shoes and drop him off in middle of the Salton Sea?”
    UCLA Brent says “His 3 World Series rings are probably enough to do the trick.”

Followed by a couple “could have gone all day without that” posts.

8. djloo27 said, on February 4, 2017 at 9:18 am

He’s the greatest reliever in SFG history. It annoys me that LA signs our guys and we don’t sign theirs.
    I think he still has something left. All 185 pounds of him (that is absurd!)…

9. blade3colorado said, on February 4, 2017 at 9:31 am

Without looking at other posts . . . Alan Folkes (or Fowlkes).

10. Flavor said, on February 4, 2017 at 9:40 am

Diggity got it first! Will update standings and pic later today.

11. sandog said, on February 4, 2017 at 9:45 am

Did not look it up. Saw him pitch once live and his name has come up on the FLap before. Almost guessed his name for the Randy Lerch pic.

• djloo27 said, on February 4, 2017 at 11:15 am

Absolutely amazing. I never doubted you, SanDog – Blade, too…

• djloo27 said, on February 4, 2017 at 11:17 am

OK, maybe for a second.
        Then I remembered the guys I met last summer…

12. snarkk said, on February 4, 2017 at 10:44 am

I thought the photo could be Huey Lewis…

13. snarkk said, on February 4, 2017 at 11:01 am

It’s hard to compare relievers who pitched in different eras and parks. Romo is certainly up there with the best SF Giant relievers, and he was with the Giants his entire career. But, I don’t see him as the “greatest’. In his salad days, he was surrounded by an extraordinary group of relievers that were as a group, a huge part of the 3 in 5. For their times, Nen, Beck, Minton (the latter 2 generally on lousy teams) are on my top list along with Romo and the Beard and Lavelle (also on bad teams), without comparing WHIP and other stats that are hard to compare across time periods. If I had to choose one to get outs, I’d pick Nen. He was a Giant for 5 years only, but averaged above 40 saves, and at his best, was unhittable. He gave up his arm to try to win that 2002 Series, which I blame Dusty for even allowing that to go on, knowing that the guy’s shoulder was shredded like pulled pork…

• Bozo said, on February 4, 2017 at 11:45 am

Nen was probably my favorite as well, although it seemed like every year he’d go through a week or so where he’d just get bombed.

14. snarkk said, on February 4, 2017 at 11:35 am

Check out the latest cover from the German magazine Der Spiegel. The world is not amused at Herr Drumpf…

• djloo27 said, on February 4, 2017 at 11:47 am

Like I might ever miss an issue of Der Spiegel…

• snarkk said, on February 4, 2017 at 12:08 pm

Check out the international English edition Loo, see what the auslanders think of us and your boy…

15. Bozo said, on February 4, 2017 at 11:39 am

Romo was a team guy, did what they asked of him and he had the balls to throw that floater up there in high pressure situations. I don’t know what went on when Boch pulled him in that Cubs game, but that laughing shit when he came off the mound pissed me off some (probably management as well). Normally I’d wish him well but right now I hope he takes a huge Schmidt on LA.

• snarkk said, on February 4, 2017 at 11:46 am

If he didn’t have such a cranky elbow, I’d bring him back. But, that elbow was no good the first half of last season, he was pulling high coin for doing nothing — Cain like. I don’t want to pay millions to a guy for a dicey elbow.

16. snarkk said, on February 4, 2017 at 11:41 am

Bum reportedly is not going to Fanfest for second year straight. I know he drives cross country to Phoenix, but there are jets available. Maybe he figures he’s not getting paid enough to attend? Whatever, though Fanfest is no biggie to me, for him IMO that’s not a good look for fans…

17. Flavor said, on February 4, 2017 at 12:02 pm

New player up. Standings updated.

18. wilcojoe said, on February 4, 2017 at 12:07 pm

William Van Launchingpad.

• sandog said, on February 4, 2017 at 12:10 pm

NICE!

• Flavor said, on February 4, 2017 at 12:11 pm

that was quick!

19. Flavor said, on February 4, 2017 at 12:13 pm

Logjam for the silver medal. I’m out for a couple of hours, let’s see how you guys do on this black and white photo.

20. wilcojoe said, on February 4, 2017 at 12:14 pm

I didn’t even have to double check with google image on this one. My girlfriend had the biggest crush on him (over obsessed)so I hated the piece of shit.

21. snarkk said, on February 4, 2017 at 12:38 pm

Aldrete? He was a handsome bugger…

22. sandog said, on February 4, 2017 at 12:59 pm

We already had Aldrete. Looks Italian though, kinda like Luca from the old SWAT tv show. I’m gonna say the lighting is a deception and it is actually one of my top 5 favorite Giants of all time, JT Snow.

23. zumiee said, on February 4, 2017 at 1:01 pm

The eyes kind of look like Dravecky.

24. Flavor said, on February 4, 2017 at 1:02 pm

I’m excited that I finally got one that may have stumped you guys. No, it’s none of the ones listed so far.

25. sandog said, on February 4, 2017 at 1:12 pm

…is anyone feeling me he at least looks a little like JT Snow? If no, could I talk you into Matt Damon?

• snarkk said, on February 4, 2017 at 1:14 pm

He’s got good eyebrows, whoever he is…

• wilcojoe said, on February 4, 2017 at 1:15 pm

I thought Snow and Nen were possibilities as well.

26. wilcojoe said, on February 4, 2017 at 1:13 pm

This one is driving me crazy. Those eyes look so familiar, but with no shot of the hat or uniform let alone no background shot of a stadium or field, it makes it tough to tell the era. I have a feeling it’s someone obvious but this might take a while.

27. wilcojoe said, on February 4, 2017 at 1:17 pm

That scar (if that’s what it is) under his right away is throwing me off as well.

28. Bozo said, on February 4, 2017 at 1:33 pm

Jeff Brantley?

29. Flavor said, on February 4, 2017 at 2:08 pm

It’s not Brantley. Ok, hint time: He was a horrendous hitter. One of the worst batting averages I’ve ever seen from a Giant. Ok, GO!

30. Macdog said, on February 4, 2017 at 2:15 pm

Rikkert Fanyete

• Flavor said, on February 4, 2017 at 2:18 pm

Boom. Put Macdog…..ON THE BOARD!!!!!!!!

• Macdog said, on February 4, 2017 at 2:19 pm

31. snarkk said, on February 4, 2017 at 2:28 pm

Goodjob, Dog. I’d forgotten about that guy. Baseball Ref says Agent 000’s average looks like gold compared to his — about .150 over 120 or so ABs in 3 seasons ’93 – ’95 with Giants. How is it a guy that bad was allowed up long enough for over 100 ABs? ..

32. djloo27 said, on February 4, 2017 at 3:08 pm

Is that Ernest Riles up there now?

• Flavor said, on February 4, 2017 at 3:14 pm

with you, right at the top baby.

• djloo27 said, on February 4, 2017 at 3:17 pm

Traded for your main man…

• Flavor said, on February 4, 2017 at 3:22 pm

yup. Also hit our 10,000th homerun

33. sandog said, on February 4, 2017 at 3:22 pm

Randy Moffitt

34. Flavor said, on February 4, 2017 at 3:24 pm

Randy Moffitt it is!!!!!
    Also Loo, Irish War Cry serving notice today…..

35. sandog said, on February 4, 2017 at 3:29 pm

Mike Benjamin?

• Flavor said, on February 4, 2017 at 3:31 pm

making the Sat afternoon move, a sweeping move around the far turn, SAN DIGGITY DAWG!!!!!!! Snarkk is gonna be so bummed he didn’t get this one. He knows why.

36. sandog said, on February 4, 2017 at 3:43 pm

I got lucky on that one. Would have said Brad Wellman if he wasn’t already off the board. Nothing coming to me on this one. Gotta drive to LA now–though the thought of completely building my weekend around this damn game has crossed my mind.

• djloo27 said, on February 4, 2017 at 3:50 pm

Drive nice and slow…

37. djloo27 said, on February 4, 2017 at 4:02 pm

John Johnstone?

• djloo27 said, on February 4, 2017 at 4:11 pm

Ask Neifi Perez if I’m right…

• Flavor said, on February 4, 2017 at 4:27 pm

back on the beam, Loo!

38. Flavor said, on February 4, 2017 at 4:30 pm

eyes are giving way too much shit away. Window to the soul? I say they’re a goddamn free ride to the winners circle of this game…
    Let’s try one with no eyes and see how you do

39. djloo27 said, on February 4, 2017 at 4:46 pm

Larry Herndon…

• Flavor said, on February 4, 2017 at 5:16 pm

Jesus Christ.

• snarkk said, on February 4, 2017 at 6:16 pm

Show us a pic of him, black & white is fine…

40. willedav said, on February 4, 2017 at 6:30 pm

So Matt Ryan wins Offensive Player of the Year. All I’m saying is K Shanahan ain’t gonna have him (or any of his buddies) running the O for the Niners. I don’t care what you draw up the players make the difference and make the plays on the field not the guy with the headset.

• Flavor said, on February 4, 2017 at 6:36 pm

absolutely. I am completely shady on all of this until the Niners actually get decent players. They have no QB, horrible wide receivers and a semi decent RB who can’t stay healthy. What the fuck is Shannahan gonna do with that?

• snarkk said, on February 4, 2017 at 7:18 pm

Took the Raiduhs 4 seasons to get out of the cap hell hole with no talent that Darth Al had dug. I think Niners can be over .500 in 3 seasons. They have a ton of cap $, and finally, possibly some intelligent people drafting and signing FAs. The new guys actually appear to know that WRs are needed in this game. Shanahan appears to know how to draw up an offense. It can be done; especially if Jed and Paraag stay the hell outta the way…

41. zumiee said, on February 4, 2017 at 7:12 pm

Canyon Barry shoots free throws old school, just like his dad. He’s on a streak of 29 in a row.
    His team, Florida, is kicking Kentucky’s buttocks at the moment.

• zumiee said, on February 4, 2017 at 7:13 pm

It’s on ESPN.

42. zumiee said, on February 4, 2017 at 7:23 pm

Life in the Calif. Central Valley….I got stung by a bee today….on the neck! I was driving, and had the window open, and a bee got sucked into the car, landed on my neck, and stung me instantly. I had to wipe the stinger off my neck as I was driving. Fortunately, I’m not allergic to bees, so not really a big deal. It hurt for a few minutes. The same thing happened to me about 20 years ago.

43. zumiee said, on February 4, 2017 at 7:26 pm

Kentucky went down to Florida and ran into a buzz saw. I like watching Kentucky lose.

• Macdog said, on February 4, 2017 at 7:30 pm

Crazy day: 2, 3, 5, 7 & 9 all lost.

44. zumiee said, on February 4, 2017 at 7:35 pm

Canyon Barry is a 4.0 student, majoring in nuclear physics. OK, that’s pretty impressive.

• djloo27 said, on February 4, 2017 at 7:48 pm

I’d be more impressed if he can figure out who that Giant is at the top of the page…

45. Flavor said, on February 4, 2017 at 8:12 pm

Ah, hints you say? Ok, this guy was an infielder. And he sucked shit for us.

• djloo27 said, on February 4, 2017 at 8:19 pm

Think SanDog’s in LA yet?

• sandog said, on February 4, 2017 at 8:25 pm

Greetings from Hollywood!
        Ryan Garko, anyone?

• djloo27 said, on February 4, 2017 at 8:39 pm

My nemesis is back…

46. wilcojoe said, on February 4, 2017 at 8:27 pm

Johnnie Lemaster?

47. sandog said, on February 4, 2017 at 8:29 pm

Is it me, or does the NFL Hall of Fame admit a handful of guys every few months?

• djloo27 said, on February 4, 2017 at 8:50 pm

Still no Otis Taylor or Jerrel Wilson…

48. zumiee said, on February 4, 2017 at 8:33 pm

The Kings are getting all up in the Warrior’s business tonight, but the Warrior’s talent advantage will probably prevail.

• sandog said, on February 4, 2017 at 8:44 pm

Glad to hear it!
      I’m at my son’s apartment and they are out on the town for the night. He has Apple TV or some nonsense like that, so no Kangz game for me. There IS cold Corona in the fridge and a 750 of Crown Royal on top of it, so I’m making myself at home. Might even wander down Hollywood Blvd on a Saturday night for the first time in 30 years or so.

• xoot said, on February 4, 2017 at 9:41 pm

The big guys from Kentucky are making the difference for sackatommates, so far.

49. zumiee said, on February 4, 2017 at 8:42 pm

Green took a spill; maybe sprained his knee.

50. sandog said, on February 4, 2017 at 8:56 pm

Btw I don’t remember John Johnstone at all. I thought Loo was making up shit on that one. Kinda like in Fletch when Chevy Chase said his name was John Rosenpenis. And did Johnstone serve up that homer by Nefie? Shame on me for not knowing that if he did.
    I’m bummed about Romo. I thought he and Casilla both could have been good set up guys for Mellencamp.

51. sandog said, on February 4, 2017 at 9:04 pm

This Crown Royal stuff ain’t bad. And I’m drinking it Snarkk style–straight up on the rocks. Although Snarkk would probably skip the ice and he probably wouldn’t be chasing every couple of a sips with a Corona, like I’m doing.
    Come to think of it, he probably thinks Crown Royal is bottom of the barrel swill.
    Anyway, I’m thinking of you, big guy.

• snarkk said, on February 4, 2017 at 9:31 pm

Dog, easy on the ice.
      And, Crown Royal is just fine.
      Especially when it’s somebody else’s…

• sandog said, on February 4, 2017 at 9:37 pm

I raise my glass in your general direction!

I still can’t figure out the TV, but I did get the turntable working and found an old Def Leppard album buried among the Joni Mitchell, Queen, and Funkadelic (my son is a bit of an old soul),so I’m settling in nicely.

52. xoot said, on February 4, 2017 at 9:54 pm

Romo as the best of all time is a bold claim. Minton, Beck, Nen, Wilson. But Sergio was the righty specialist in ten, the improbable closer in twelve, and essentially a righty specialist after that. He’s also a smart delightful guy. I hope his great career is over.

• djloo27 said, on February 4, 2017 at 10:05 pm

James thoroughly convinced me on that, Xoot…

53. djloo27 said, on February 4, 2017 at 10:12 pm

Affeldt could be right behind Romo on that list. And the suddenly unpopular Casilla might be in the top five. He was tremendous for quite awhile…

54. sandog said, on February 4, 2017 at 10:18 pm

Unbelievable. Proud of my boys!

• zumiee said, on February 4, 2017 at 10:28 pm

Got it done!

• zumiee said, on February 4, 2017 at 10:30 pm

They defended Durant well.

55. alleykat69 said, on February 4, 2017 at 10:40 pm

I’m sipping some very good Buffalo Trace whiskey 🥃 if you boys haven’t tried it I highly recommend it!!
    Now as far as the latest Giant photo I will need another Buffalo are 2 for my 1 guess option!

56. alleykat69 said, on February 4, 2017 at 11:06 pm

Alright I’m giving it my best shot after sipping my very smooth Buffalo Trace..
    John Burkett?

57. Flavor said, on February 5, 2017 at 6:42 am

Nobody gets the point! In fact, I should fucking take away a point! The correct answer is Manny Trillo. I considered giving out more hints but I really just want to put a new dude up there. But I’ll leave him up so you can all wallow in collective failure and see if someone can get their head out of the ass and get the next one. Oh my!

• djloo27 said, on February 5, 2017 at 7:16 am

A lot of people jumping on Irish War Cry after yesterday. Was it him and No Dozing that you have future bets on? ND scheduled to make 3yo debut this Saturday at TB. Hope they replaced the jock…

58. wilcojoe said, on February 5, 2017 at 6:49 am

That’s gotta be Big Daddy, Rick Reuschel.

• Flavor said, on February 5, 2017 at 7:09 am

nice. Early bird. Ok, we are back on the beam.

59. djloo27 said, on February 5, 2017 at 7:19 am

Rennie Stennett?

60. wilcojoe said, on February 5, 2017 at 8:15 am

Donell Nixon?

• Flavor said, on February 5, 2017 at 8:34 am

Winner. Update when I get home.

61. gianthead said, on February 5, 2017 at 8:28 am

I’ll go Chris Brown…thought he was maybe a little bigger…

62. willedav said, on February 5, 2017 at 8:34 am

In a game both teams tried to give away, Warriors finally succeed when Curry misses an open layup. Good for the kIngs on back to back, after a bad loss at home to the lowly Suns.
    This should be message to GS that your egos do not trump smart b-ball. Take a lot of dumb shots, make too many ill advised passes and bad decisions—in other words play just like Cousins does—and you will lose.

Cousins is very talented but refuses to listen to reason. Him getting a T in last couple minutes of a one point game is height of stupidity–STFU and play already. His shot selection, including 3s and off double teams, leaves a lot to be desired. Missing Gay of course I understand his options are limited on the roster, but again it’s his ego that he can do anything out there and that he’s always the best option. And the complaining is just tiresome. He reminds me so much of Melo–just get away from me and watch me shoot. Headband is dumb too.

63. unca_chuck said, on February 5, 2017 at 9:12 am

Damn, out for a couple days and I sink to the botttom of the standings.

The Dubs were on their 3rd game in 4 days. They were lazy and weren’t moving at all. The Kings are shit at defending inside and the Dubs stood around shooting 3s. I just don’t understand scheduling like this. It’s ludicrous. I don’t know if every team has stretches like this, but the Warriors at one point had 6 games in 9 days. On the road.

I don’t know if the pic is updated or not.

64. willedav said, on February 5, 2017 at 9:42 am

Donell was cousin to Otis Nixon of the Braves 91-93 right? He stole 72 bags in 91. Remember seeing Craig pitch out twice in a row and gun him down; might have been with Expos at that time.

He also got suspended for a while as I remember. Local DJs Lamont and Tonelli used to do a bit with someone who was supposed to be Otis grandma, where they gave her a ration. Giants-Braves rivalry in those days was a good one, lot of high energy battles and sell outs at the Stick.

65. Flavor said, on February 5, 2017 at 9:46 am

pic is updated now along with Wilco’s new place in the standings. I will be impressed if anyone gets the current dude

66. unca_chuck said, on February 5, 2017 at 10:42 am

Ron Howard?

67. wilcojoe said, on February 5, 2017 at 10:56 am

Looks like Ed Halicki but I think we already did him. Of course nearly every white dude looked like that in the late 70’s-early 80’s.

68. sandog said, on February 5, 2017 at 11:08 am

Ron Pruitt?

69. Flavor said, on February 5, 2017 at 11:20 am

no to everything guessed so far. Feels like Loo might be laying in the weeds on this one. It’s not easy. He’s a pitcher….

• snarkk said, on February 5, 2017 at 11:33 am

Mike Lacoss

• Flavor said, on February 5, 2017 at 11:40 am

no but that is what I would have guessed. Ok, this guy is a pitcher and much like John Johnstone…..

• snarkk said, on February 5, 2017 at 11:48 am

Dang, thought I had that one…

• willedav said, on February 5, 2017 at 12:15 pm

Hey Snarkk—Cal hosting Colo next hour, gotta have this one at home; next up is trip to desert to face AZ schools. Buffs blew out Stanford other night and the pg destroyed them almost had triple double.
        Cal also deserves at least an assist for wearing out Utes who yesterday couldn’t defend Stanford and allowed them to score 81 pts.

Also watched UCLA shoot 60 % from floor and put 107 on UW on the road and beat them by 40. How does Romar keep his job? First place Oregon at UCLA Thursday night.

70. snarkk said, on February 5, 2017 at 12:28 pm

Yeah WillieD, the top half of PAC 12 is pretty competitive this year. AZ, ucla, and Oregon have shots at least to the sweet 16, IMO…

71. snarkk said, on February 5, 2017 at 12:30 pm

Heading out to New Mexico on biz for this week. Looking forward to some red and green salsa action; NMex Mexican food is not like tex mex here in Cal…

72. gianthead said, on February 5, 2017 at 1:12 pm

Moffitt? Spelling?

• Flavor said, on February 5, 2017 at 1:18 pm

nope. We did him already. They were on the same team tho

73. zumiee said, on February 5, 2017 at 1:35 pm

I saw Kevin Durant’s face on a milk carton this morning after he went missing during last night’s game.

74. djloo27 said, on February 5, 2017 at 1:52 pm

Tommy Toms

• djloo27 said, on February 5, 2017 at 1:53 pm

Great John Johnstone clue…

• djloo27 said, on February 5, 2017 at 1:54 pm

I did look at rosters, so if that’s cheating then I’m guilty.
        I have zero recollection of this guy…

• gianthead said, on February 5, 2017 at 2:14 pm

I can say I’ve never heard that name before…not once…

• Flavor said, on February 5, 2017 at 1:57 pm

not cheating at all. Nicely done. Champ.

75. zumiee said, on February 5, 2017 at 2:10 pm

I read a terrific little book recently called “Black Gods of the Asphalt,” by Onaje Woodbine, about “street” basketball in the inner city parts of Boston. It’s a hard life there for many, but there are people there trying to make things better, including putting together huge weekend basketball tournaments that bring some semblance of pride and community to tough neighborhoods.
    It’s interesting that a sport invented by a white P.E. teacher for his white athletes would end up being such an important and transcendent sport for black culture.