How Did He Do This?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 15, 2017

Like many of you, I am still scratching my head at this Mike Morse thing. However, I’m scratching my head looking at his one season with us in the context of his entire career. This will be his 13th season at the mlb level, and outside of his one memorable season in SF he has had ONE year of full production: 2011 when he hit 31 bombs (I know no one here cares about those) in 146 games played. He played his second most games in 2014 for us (131). How do you last so long for going on 13 seasons with only TWO decent years? That’s remarkable.

He’ll be turning 35 in March and I just can’t imagine there’s anything left in the tank. But who knows, there didn’t look like much was in the tank when he arrived here the first time.

1. chipower9 said, on February 15, 2017 at 8:22 am

First pitcher and catcher workouts today! WHOOP!

Flav – refresh my memory. Was he signed to a minor league deal? If so, he will be battling for one of the reserve OF spots. I am down with seeing if the dude has anything left.

Of course, I would have liked to see the team go get JD Martinez, but am not sure if he would have pushed the team over the luxury tax threshold, or not. But damned, that dude alone would make me feel SO MUCH BETTER about our OF going into this season.

2. chipower9 said, on February 15, 2017 at 8:24 am

Morse is a minor league deal, so, as the article below states, I too think he is a long-shot to make the roster. But, we shall see…

3. willedav said, on February 15, 2017 at 8:29 am

Seems like a longshot. Is there any way they keep him just to back up Belt at 1b and PH off the bench? If Bochy keeps 12 pitchers I don’t see how Morse can make the team.

The Cueto opt out being best scenario for Giants argument is interesting. He’s owed a lot of money going forward, so it’s hard to believe anyone would offer him as many years/more $$$ than what’s already on table.
    I just don’t see who steps up into his role if he were to leave. Outside of Bum, who else would Giants rely on in situation like last year to face Cubs in winner take all?

The money a guy is being paid doesn’t bother me, and I don’t subscribe to Posey at $20 mil needs to do more argument. I just don’t see baseball that way; if a guys sucks he sucks whether he’s making $10 mil or league min.
    And if that guy is Matt Cain, he needs to go so SF can plug better guy into rotation every 5 days.

4. zumiee said, on February 15, 2017 at 8:45 am

The first day of Spring Training, and I can’t wait for the first time they say about Cain: “He’s feeling good and he’s getting close”!

• Bozo said, on February 15, 2017 at 9:02 am

I just read awhile back that Juan Marichal and Gaylord Perry, are the only two pitchers to have thrown more innings than Cain in a Giants uni. I was kind of blown away by that.

5. Bozo said, on February 15, 2017 at 8:56 am

Also in camp is CFer, Wynton Bernard, I guess to give Gorkys a little competition. He’s a minor leaguer from the Tigers organization. Kind of ironic that we picked him up since he was DFAed to make room on the Tigers 40 man for…Casey McGehee.

Rounding out the OF ST invites are our own youngsters Austin Slater and Steve Duggar, they should be fun to watch.

• chipower9 said, on February 15, 2017 at 9:04 am

“Morse and Justin Ruggiano both signed minor league contracts and received ST invites. Last year they had 32 AB between them, so they should be rested, right?” LMAO…that is one way to look at it!

6. chipower9 said, on February 15, 2017 at 9:11 am

I am not outright saying that Cueto going “buh-bye” after this year is the best plan. I think a lot depends on how he pitches this year, innings pitched, and his overall health (does he get hurt and miss games this year, etc.).

Details of his contract:

$5M signing bonus (paid in $1M installments each 1/15, 2017-21)
    16:$15M, 17-21:$21M/year, 22:$22M club option ($5M buyout)
    Cueto may opt out of contract after 2017 season & receive buyout (must exercise within three days of end of 2017 World Series)

The key is “Cueto may opt out.” I do not believe the Giants have “an out” prior to the 22 season (22 mil option with 5 mil buyout). That hurts. So, if he sucks or is mediocre, there is almost NO motivation on his part to opt out…he can sit back fat dumb and happy and collect that cool 21 mil a year…

7. alleykat69 said, on February 15, 2017 at 9:23 am

Well their bringing Cody Ross back as a hitting consultant or something. Maybe he takes some hacks away from Morse in batting practice….

8. Irish Kevin said, on February 15, 2017 at 11:32 am

Morse 35 yrs oooolld, nope see ya have fun in retirement. As far as I am concerned keep bringing up the young bucks. Let’s see who can play. The Giants have enough veterans on the team, they don’t need to go looking for more.

9. alleykat69 said, on February 15, 2017 at 2:24 pm

Morse..The tanks empty, matter of fact the engine has seized up, no oil, sand poured in the gas tank as well..

10. djloo27 said, on February 15, 2017 at 4:06 pm

Any Flapaloozas on the horizon this year? I was talking to MacDog the other day and we agreed that only a visit from Big Flavor could top last year’s east coast version…

• Flavor said, on February 15, 2017 at 5:44 pm

high praise. San Dawg could probably get me to go literally anywhere in Harvey (I still secretly call him Sherman)

11. djloo27 said, on February 15, 2017 at 7:10 pm

2014: Morse
    2017: Remorse

Sorry. Somebody had to do it…

• Flavor said, on February 15, 2017 at 7:22 pm

that was actually going to be this morning’s headline (Morse? Or Remorse?) till I had a cup of coffee and came to my senses

• djloo27 said, on February 15, 2017 at 7:25 pm

Sometimes you take one for the team…

12. alleykat69 said, on February 15, 2017 at 8:21 pm

Hey I don’t want to give any ill will to Mike Krukow cause we all know he’s dealing with his health issues mostly physical, but his mental side is starting to show as well with his adamant belief that all 3 over the hill vets like Morse,Rugatino whatever, and Rollins will be needed as :”The Vet Bench presence the Giants will need to compete with”
    And to then to say Michael Morse no doubt will be a big league manager in the near future??
    Wtf?? He’s losing it quickly I’m sorry, not sure he even gets thru this season without hanging it up..
    Shit if anything with those 3 on are bench they can at least make bets between them on who has to go to the head 1st since none of them will get thru a game without a leak…

• Flavor said, on February 15, 2017 at 8:23 pm

he said MORSE???? would one day be a big league manager? You sure you heard that right? Morse is dumb as a post.

13. alleykat69 said, on February 15, 2017 at 9:15 pm

Yeah he’s mentioning Morse a Manager candidate someday holy shit!
    I’m not high tech link guys like you all are, but anyway it was Dec 27 on CSN Bayarea if you want to look it up BF. Then he brought it up on KNBR on the radio show..