Slap Some Bacon on a Bisquet and Let’s Go

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 27, 2017

I was only half way listening to the Cain start on Saturday as I drove up the 101 but was Mike Morse playing first base? Later that evening, a KNBR caller mentioned how statuesque Morse looked at first base as balls whizzed past him. But maybe the caller was referencing Morse going after balls down the line in LF? If any of you know, detail it in the comment section.

As much as I’m trying to muster some excitement about The Honger making a splash in spring training, there really doesn’t seem to be a place for him when the team breaks for SF. In fact, you could say that about pretty much every position on the team except possibly a left handed spot in the bullpen.

So gear up for a geared down Spring. I don’t see any new faces sticking around past March…

1. Bozo said, on February 27, 2017 at 7:29 am

I’m not sure I’ve ever had the Mexican Bisquet but here in the South, biscuits are huge.
    Hell, most gas stations have a grill and every morning they sell biscuits with bacon, ham, sausage, egg, cheese or various combos. Those take outs are great but my favorite is a heart attack on a plate at a place in Nags Head called Sam and Omies. On Saturdays they have a breakfast special of biscuits with fried chicken and covered with a bacon gravy, this pairs really well with pints of bloody marys. After your first bite you start to feel your chest tightening up, but it is so good, so wrongly good that you can’t stop eating it. You can also get it on Sundays but you can’t get a drink on Sundays until after noon here in NC and breakfast stops at eleven. Believe me, you need the alcohol to thin out your blood for this mighty meal.

• chipower9 said, on February 27, 2017 at 7:34 am

Give me the blue plate heart-attack special! Biscuits and chicken with bacon gravy sounds amazing. I am a huge biscuit and gravy guy (although I do not eat it that often). Also like a good chicken fried steak with eggs and potatoes for breakfast.

For breakfast potatoes, given the choice, do you go home-fried potatoes, or hash browns?

• Bozo said, on February 27, 2017 at 8:03 am

Around here grits are also an option but given a choice I go with hash browns. This place only has home-fried or grits. I also love a chicken fried steak now and then. Ye Olde College Inn in New Orleans has a chicken fried steak Po Boy that is really good.
        Hmm, maybe quitting smoking isn’t the only reason I’ve gained so much weight.

Here is the biscuit, might want to eat an aspirin before looking at the photo.

2. chipower9 said, on February 27, 2017 at 7:31 am

No clue re: Morse…picked-up Saturday’s game late in the day. Saturday was a rough day (actually, it was a rough weekend). We put down our 17 year old Norwich Terrorist Marlarky that morning, and yesterday evening I got a text from my daughter telling me she put down her Frenchy, Murphy (he had been battling lymphoma for the past six months).

Catching-up on the weekend posts. My guys is Panik. I think with the concussion and vision thing behind him he will rip it up. I love Specs, but no way I would deal Panik with the hope that Specs can fill the void. I have said this a lot (and will eat every last word if wrong) that I think Panik has a great chance to win a batting title at some point. Joe is my ST man. Hwang is second.

Pawlie – great to see you on again, and thanks for the Mays story.

• Flavor said, on February 27, 2017 at 7:56 am

sorry to hear about your dog(s) Chi. How many dogs do you and Gail have?

• chipower9 said, on February 27, 2017 at 8:26 am

Thanks. Gail and I have four, so thank goodness we have the other three. Malarky had been with Gail since she was 6 weeks old (Malarky had turned 17 in November of last year). She was an amazing dog who had an amazing life. She was the number one Norwich Terrier in agility nationwide for three consecutive years. A true champion…a great companion.

While my daughter remembers me putting down a couple of family pets (German Shepherd dogs) over the years, this was the first where she had to make that call. Her Frenchy was her wingman…this one really tore her up.

• alleykat69 said, on February 27, 2017 at 8:26 am

Sorry for your losses as well Chi&Gail..

• Bozo said, on February 27, 2017 at 8:06 am

Sorry for your losses, Chi.

• chipower9 said, on February 27, 2017 at 8:27 am

Thanks, John. I think I need a plate of chicken and biscuits, heavy on the bacon gravy. 😉

3. alleykat69 said, on February 27, 2017 at 7:32 am

Arizona air lifted Honger’s HR out would of been a double at ATT.Far as Morse the Statue of Liberty has more movement..

4. willedav said, on February 27, 2017 at 8:22 am

Panik seems to be the anti-Span can do no wrong guy around here. He’s had 5.5 WAR in his career, with 3.3 of it coming 2015 and the other years as 1 WAR player. He’s increased his HR totals dramatically from1 in his half year 2014 to 10 last year, but of course BA and OPS fell way off 2016.

Health? He started off last year .280 in April, followed it up with .213 in May. Post concussion? .276 in August, .167 in Sept. .256 at home, .216 with .659 OPS on the road despite 7 of his 10 HRs.. If he wasn’t healthy and couldn’t see, then sit down and check your ego–this is same issue Pagan 2015.

.226 vs. LHP, and second on team with 14 GIDPs, yet Span seems to be the guy everyone complained about for all the ground outs. Just doesn’t seem like prototypical 2 hole hitter to me–last year .263 BA with .700 OPS, and 7 GIDPs in 300 ABs in 2 spot, strictly average stuff.

Sure to get lion’s share of starts so see what happens.

• Bozo said, on February 27, 2017 at 8:30 am

Might be why the Giants had Arroyo playing some 2B last year.

• chipower9 said, on February 27, 2017 at 10:51 am

Not going to argue with the numbers, etc., but the guy is a gold-glove 2nd sacker, and we all know how defense is key with this team. I am hopeful he is healthy all year long, so that we can gauge his value better. I just see a lot of potential for the guy…now we need to see if he can fulfill that potential. I would be shocked if the Giants traded him…

5. zumiee said, on February 27, 2017 at 8:53 am

Panik gets some slack because he’s helped the Giants win a ring. When Span does that, he’ll get more slack.
    Panik had several key moments in 2014. One of his biggest, IMO, was his long foulball in the 9th inning of the playoff game off the Nats starter who had a one-hitter going (Scherzer, I think.) That long foulball, which barely missed being an HR, is what caused Matt Williams to get the yips, and pull Scherzer, and the rest is history.
    And, of course, his HR vs. the Cards in the Ishi game. The Panik HR ball that ended up in the hands of the Flapper kids! Another amazing part of Flap history!

• Macdog said, on February 27, 2017 at 1:37 pm

It was Zimmermann, but your point is spot-on, the Panik foul ball was bigly.

6. zumiee said, on February 27, 2017 at 8:56 am

Sorry to hear about your loss, Chi. Pets are part of the family. It’s a tough thing to lose them.

• chipower9 said, on February 27, 2017 at 10:52 am

Thanks, Zumie. These two were certainly more than pets…they were loved and important parts of our family.

7. zumiee said, on February 27, 2017 at 9:18 am

At the local indie theater, I recently saw the terrific documentary about James Baldwin, “I Am Not Your Negro.” It looks at his perspectives on Martin Luther King, Jr, Malcom X, and Medgar Evers. A mesmerizing film that has so much to say to America right now. I was pondering that film for days afterwards, and still am.

• chipower9 said, on February 27, 2017 at 10:53 am

After the bit I have seen and read on this, I am anxious to see it…

8. zumiee said, on February 27, 2017 at 9:24 am

I had been kind of wondering the last few years if movies really mattered anymore, and I’ve decided lately that they do. Good films don’t change the world as much as I would wish they did; but, hey, they do have the power to inspire, and provoke thought, and that ain’t a bad thing.
    I was moved by two old films I saw recently on Turner Classic Movies. “Imitation of Life,” a movie from the late 1930s that has a surprisingly cutting edge plot about the challenges faced by a mixed-race child in 1930s America.
    I also saw “Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo,” a World War II film with very little actual war-fighting in it. In fact, the fighting is just about as long as the thirty seconds in the title. The film is much more about the lives of the crews of the bomber planes. And the film even has moments where characters probe their moral anxieties about dropping bombs in Japan that will kill civilians. The film is from 1944, with the war still going on, and it’s a surprisingly (to me) thought-provoking film. I’ve been guilty in the past of being kind of dismissive of a lot of older films, and as I’ve gotten older, that prejudice against those films is melting away. Sure, the older films have their occasional corny and gee-whiz attitude type of moments, but there are also a lot of terrific old films that hold up quite well, overall. Good art is timeless, of course.
    I’ve also been caught up in the Victoria series on PBS. It’s very well done, and held my interest more than I was expecting.
    The new season of Sherlock, on PBS, is full of all the things we fans of the show love about that series. Manic energy and outrageous plot-twists.
    I know there are a lot of other great TV shows out there. It’s just hard to find the time to see a lot of them.
    I watched a lot of Spring Training baseball over the weekend. It’s enjoyable to me. I like hearing the various broadcasters talk about their teams and their teams’ chances this season. I love the optimism of Spring Training.

9. Macdog said, on February 27, 2017 at 10:30 am

Baggs tweet from Saturday: The Cubs have a couple extra-base hits on hard grounders that 1B Michael Morse couldn’t knock down.

10. Macdog said, on February 27, 2017 at 10:35 am

Chi, very sorry about your dog.

• chipower9 said, on February 27, 2017 at 10:56 am

Thanks, Mac. As if that was not enough, for my daughter to have to put down her beloved boy was unreal. Fond memories of how each touched our lives will live on forever…

• djloo27 said, on February 27, 2017 at 12:03 pm

Sorry, Chi. I know the pain very well.
        I guess we all do – hang in there.
        No doubt you and your daughter gave your pets a great life and a loving home and that is something to feel good about…

• chipower9 said, on February 27, 2017 at 2:08 pm

Thanks, Loo. I appreciate it, brother.

11. wilcojoe said, on February 27, 2017 at 1:00 pm

Sorry to hear about your loss Chi. Losing a pet is never easy.

My basset hound passed away almost one year ago to the day. He was about 12 years old (age unknown as I got him from a rescue 10 years prior). The worst part is how my wife found him. She came home from work and he was floating face down in our pool. We suspect he had slipped in (something he had done once or twice before) but due to degenerative issues with his hips, those short little legs weren’t able to get him to the steps. I couldn’t sleep for two weeks, thinking about how he must have struggled to get out.

• chipower9 said, on February 27, 2017 at 2:07 pm

Thanks, Wilco. I can absolutely understand your grief from your situation. It is never easy…a tough part of life.

But Gail and I are blessed that we have three other dogs with whom we are active and enjoy, and we will always have fond memories of the wonderful times we had with our Norwich and my daughter’s French Bulldog.

12. Macdog said, on February 27, 2017 at 1:43 pm

Belt solo HR today.

13. chipower9 said, on February 27, 2017 at 2:09 pm

Just saw in the title “Bisquet.” Is that some type of California foo-foo biscuit, or is that Cajun?

I mean is that a real biscuit, or a Sears biscuit. Hmmmm…no fooling.

14. chipower9 said, on February 27, 2017 at 2:24 pm

Arroyo with clutch knock (bases juiced) to tie the game…

15. alleykat69 said, on February 27, 2017 at 2:30 pm

16-28 is Arroyo this spring, but Rivercats here you go!!Just don’t need a 3rd basemen that takes the ball I guess..

• Macdog said, on February 27, 2017 at 2:47 pm

Pav said Arroyo is “now 17-for-29 in big league camp,” so that probably includes last year? He’s now 3-for-3 this spring.

• chipower9 said, on February 27, 2017 at 3:10 pm

I think you’re right, Mac…includes last year’s ST invite, too.

16. gianthead said, on February 27, 2017 at 3:37 pm

Did anyone answer Flab that Morse got put at 1b, I guess for coming relief, and aka the Statue of Morse sighting…sorry to hear about the dogs Chi…back to making America Great Again…awaiting for our Secretary to be confirmed in the next half hour or so and sworn in tomorrow…

• zumiee said, on February 27, 2017 at 6:13 pm

Today Trump said: “Nobody knew healthcare could be so complicated.”
      He’s really not very bright, is he.

• wilcojoe said, on February 27, 2017 at 6:50 pm

SNL should be salivating at some of the things Trump has said in the last couple of weeks. Unfortunately they have been airing repeats the last couple of weeks.

• Flavor said, on February 27, 2017 at 7:19 pm

those Spicer spoofs they run slay me….

17. Flavor said, on February 27, 2017 at 7:25 pm

by the way, today was a test to see if you ever read the headlines. I picked today’s headline from something the weather guy said in the background with the tv on this morning. Looks like Chi and Clown noticed it. Nice.

• djloo27 said, on February 27, 2017 at 8:06 pm

I noticed it. Just figured it was one of those things that was over my head…

18. djloo27 said, on February 27, 2017 at 8:12 pm

If you think about it, what’s funny about impressions?

19. willedav said, on February 27, 2017 at 8:44 pm

Zum, thanks for tip on Baldwin movie. I read some of his novels in HS back in ’60s but doubt I really got him/ Just finished “Another Country”, novel of his on artists/musicians/actors/writers living in NYC and their struggles with race, sexual identity and business world. Very deep insightful stuff.

Chi, I’m sure your lost loved pets are sniffing around in dawg heaven somewhere. I’m sure you and daughter did best to give them full and enjoyable lives during their times here.

20. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on February 27, 2017 at 9:35 pm

Craig, I’m with you, kinda hankering for Hwang to make the team in some capacity. Might be the kind of guy that is able to spark things to happen. You’re right, there doesn’t appear to be much place for him; the team is loaded with infielders. But if he consistently performs well in ST, you’d think the team would figure out how to make a place for the guy. Hell, they kept Agent 000 around for no discernible good reason all those years, if they can make a spot for him……………… Anyway, Hwang is already on *my* roster since he hit the 3-run bomb… 🙂

21. snarkk said, on February 27, 2017 at 11:20 pm

I saw Belt’s HR on highlights. Rounding the bags, he looks heavy to me…

22. djloo27 said, on February 28, 2017 at 3:54 am

Jints are a little bland on paper anyway. Cueto and a healthy Pence are fun – hopefully Nunie, Law and TCH bring a little personality…