Good and Bad

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on March 3, 2017

The Donger has bumped his average up to a cool .444. His OPS is stratospheric. We could be looking at a late HOF bloomer….

It is a struggle to look at spring training stats so I think I’m going to stop doing that.

Let’s just get everyone to SF healthy and go from there….

That Warrior game last night….How many wide open 3’s did Klay and Steph miss? It’s irritating that Durant goes down and they come up ant-small. I hate to say this, because I can’t stand him, but you’d never see LeBron perform like that in a game right after losing a key piece.

1. chipower9 said, on March 3, 2017 at 6:40 am

Is ST over, yet?! I am ready for some REAL baseball.

2. sfsarge said, on March 3, 2017 at 6:41 am

Klay is so streaky so I’m not worried about him too much. My concern is Steph. He hasn’t been the same since he injured his knee. I have to believe it’s bothering him. I believe that they’ll shoot better soon enough.

3. willedav said, on March 3, 2017 at 7:18 am

Posey and craw take off Monday for WBC. Capable backup SS definitely would take up one of bench spots, so see what happens. Craw quoted in Chron praising Rollins at 2b (“He looked like he’s been doing it for years”), where he turned a DP. Hmmnn.
    Hwang also charged with second error of ST too in other split squad game vs. Angels. Anyone notice his defense?

4. snarkk said, on March 3, 2017 at 8:26 am

The best thing about this ST is that 000 is not a threat to make the team. I’ll be surprised if he ever hits a big league 25 roster for any extended period of time…

5. unca_chuck said, on March 3, 2017 at 8:34 am

Well, Flav, believe it or not, they need to reset their rotations and figure out how to play without KD. The fallback is always to gun away. If they aren’t falling, it ain’t going to work.

Aggravating to me was David West standing 2′ from the basket and not taking the easy shot. Late in the game the Warriors were getting penetration and foregoing the layup for a corner 3.

Clank. Sure, they will drop eventually, but they should be attacking the paint when the 3 aren’t falling. At least they might get to the line for free throws.

6. alleykat69 said, on March 3, 2017 at 9:17 am

Caught the last AB of Donger yesterday. 2 outs nobody on down a run, he had a nice approach with 2 strikes and went with a outside pitch for a hustle double , took 3rd being aggressive on a throw in the dirt to the catcher, but died their as Austin Slater took a called 3rd strike to end it.Donger shows grit, Hail to the Donger on hopes he sticks..

7. zumiee said, on March 3, 2017 at 9:29 am

Romo faced three hitters the other day, and struck out all three. It’ll be interesting to see how he holds up. Clearly, the Giants didn’t have faith in his ability to hold up for the whole season anymore. Blanton pitched in 75 games last season, and was effective. Romo will be expected to make up a chunk of those games.
    The Dodgers, overall, sad to say, look primed to have a monster season this year, if they stay healthy. It doesn’t mean they’ll do jack in the playoffs, but they’re going to steamroll a lot of teams during the regular season. But….we’ll see if they stay healthy. They do have a lot of depth, though. Their future replacement for Gonzalez at firstbase, Bellinger, hit a HR the other day that looked like it went about 475 feet.

8. unca_chuck said, on March 3, 2017 at 9:45 am

they die in the playoffs with their lack of starting pitching and I don’t see how they really addressed that. Rich Hill? He’s old and creaky. Ryu is decent, Maeda isn’t the superstar as projected, so i don’t think they have enough playoff pitching imo. Even Kersahw hasn’t been lights-out in the playoffs.

9. unca_chuck said, on March 3, 2017 at 10:08 am

4-7 in 14 starts with a 4.55 era is no great shakes.

1-4 5.59 in 5 NLCS starts? Ouch.

So yeah, again they may beat up on the weaker teams in the league as they do, but they still aren’t built for a playoff run of any depth. Let ’em have the division. Our desperate need was to fix the pen, and the hope is the young guys that were thrown to the fire have their sea legs under them a bit, and having the closer settled will give the rest of the pen assigned roles that they can thrive in.

• snarkk said, on March 3, 2017 at 10:15 am

Good summary. Key is the young Pen guys turn into a new core group. No guarantee on that. Osich has looked sucky. That left handler is hurt. Having a good closer again is great, so long as he has something to close…

• djloo27 said, on March 3, 2017 at 6:08 pm

Letting ’em have the division is risky and a loser mentality. Should’ve declared war and raided them of Jansen and Turner. Dodgers all the way in the year of the rooster…

10. zumiee said, on March 3, 2017 at 11:57 am

The World Baseball tourney starts next week, and everyone holds their breath regarding possible injuries.

11. chipower9 said, on March 3, 2017 at 12:16 pm

Yeah yeah yeah…it’s ST, it’s early, but my boy Joe “Ain’t No” Panik is leading the team with a tidy .600 overage (6 for 10). He 5 R, 2 RBIs, a double and HR to go along with a walk and no Ks. All adds up to a team-leading OPS of 1.636.

Yeah, it is early, but better to be ringing-up big numbers now than sucking-ass.

And playing the Fucking A’s today…should we just ring it up now to a L (still cannot figure out why the A’s seem to have our number). Pfffttt…

12. chipower9 said, on March 3, 2017 at 12:33 pm

Losing focus…but moving in the right direction…blah blah blah. Same shit, different year. I am hopeful Cain can find his mojo…but I sure as fuck am not holding my breath. I think the dude is done.

13. gianthead said, on March 3, 2017 at 2:42 pm

With the new job, I’m now missing Dubs games like last night and the start of the game against the Wizards, missing KD’s injury. But I did catch Curry unnecessarily jacking up a 3 with 5.8 seconds left against the Wiz in a hero shot. And then to follow up with last night is a sign of concern. Seems Curry’s shot just isn’t what has been in the past.

If we come up short this year, there is going to be a lot of introspection. Will the Warriors go $40 mill year for Curry. All I know in regard to Cain is that I am ready to move on. Blach has shown me has major league stuff. Ibpredoct a phantom shoulder injury for Cain, he gets to hang out with the team and they see how Blach plays. Cain then gets some rehab starts in May and they then let him shoe he has regained something.

In terms of Smardaramjam, many of us commented last year that he needed another pitch. Now he is saying he was saying he was a throwing a split and effective curve at the end of last season???? I did not see it…

14. wilcojoe said, on March 3, 2017 at 3:04 pm

I swear the Giants all time spring record vs. the A’s has to be like 3 wins and 300 losses.

• zumiee said, on March 3, 2017 at 3:23 pm

Yep. And the regular season is pretty bad, too. I’ve always hated the annual so-called “local rivalry” games in the middle of the season. They are guaranteed to grind any Giants momentum to a halt for a while.

15. Flavor said, on March 3, 2017 at 5:05 pm

• djloo27 said, on March 3, 2017 at 5:44 pm

It was the point in 1965 when I swapped a mint condition right out of the pack Dean Chance straight up for a slightly worn Juan Marichal. Possibly the smartest thing I’ve ever done. I wonder if the kid I made the deal with ever thinks about it. Doubtful, there is anyone that pitiful roaming the planet…

• Macdog said, on March 3, 2017 at 6:13 pm

Matt Cain’s current baseball card is probably slightly worn, too.

• djloo27 said, on March 3, 2017 at 6:38 pm

Amazing that the Indians and the Redskins get most of the shit from the Native American groups, while the Braves and Chiefs and their idiotic tomahawk-chopping fans seem to get very little…

• djloo27 said, on March 3, 2017 at 7:13 pm

What’s cooler than this?

• willedav said, on March 3, 2017 at 7:38 pm

always liked the Milwaukee Braves road grays with the dark blue and Indian on the shoulder.

16. unca_chuck said, on March 3, 2017 at 6:34 pm

17. willedav said, on March 3, 2017 at 6:48 pm

Bozo, I’m noticing more stories on J Rollins. Almost seems like the fix is in— Baer quietly guaranteed him a job and gets Baggs and Schulman to pump up fanbase of his value.
    If he takes my guy Specs job I’ll be pissed.

The A’s can do all the damage they want in ST, it obviously doesn’t carry over to the real season. What an irrelevant team, except for who might be available.

• Bozo said, on March 4, 2017 at 8:18 am

I know, right? Maybe Rollins is just an easy interview, but if I see him also getting some time in the OF, I’d say it was a done deal.

18. xoot said, on March 3, 2017 at 8:58 pm

Anybody see Buddy Holly’s throwing error today? The back up IF utility battle is a helluva fight so far, assuming the great Nunez is a lock at third. Also, Washington Post reports trump intends to slash NOAA’s budget 17℅. How the hell are they gonna sell that shit to Congress in the face of climate change crisis? Grease some palms, baby. Grease some palms.

19. unca_chuck said, on March 4, 2017 at 8:08 am

Right. We need to get the military budget up to 70% of discretionary spending.