Baseball Cards

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on March 4, 2017

Where do you guys stand on baseball cards? Anyone collect them? Still have the old ones from your youth? What was your favorite part about them? Trading them had to be #1. But I was also really drawn to the personal tidbit on the back. “the first player to be traded for himself with Harry Chiti from Indians 4/27/62 and returned 6/15/62”. Stuff like that.

If I was a kid growing up now the internet would have basically ruined collecting cards for me. Memorizing the stats on the back of the card was my go-to move. Now? Stats are a click away.

And while I love that as an adult, it’s still kinda lame.

1. zumiee said, on March 4, 2017 at 7:18 am

I don’t know what happened to the baseball and basketball cards of my youth. Maybe my mom tossed them or maybe I tossed them. In retrospect, it’d be nice to have them still, but I don’t worry about it. They were fun at the time. Loved the stick of gum, too, and how the cards would smell like fresh gum for a long time.

• zumiee said, on March 4, 2017 at 7:23 am

In my neighborhood we didn’t trade cards. I don’t think it even entered our minds. Some cards were destroyed by bicycle spokes. No one was really thinking long-term collecting.

• zumiee said, on March 4, 2017 at 7:26 am

I remember when the big collecting boom hit in the ’80s, and guys were buying big boxes of cards. It didn’t appeal to me. In my mind, extra money was to be spent on records. THAT’S what I was into collecting.

• zumiee said, on March 4, 2017 at 7:30 am

I didn’t save my record collection either. Doh! πŸ™‚

• zumiee said, on March 4, 2017 at 7:31 am

I kid you not, the thing I’m most excited about collecting lately is archeology magazines.

• zumiee said, on March 4, 2017 at 7:33 am

archaeology, it should be spelled. πŸ™‚

• Flavor said, on March 4, 2017 at 8:21 am

“no one was thinking long term collecting…” That’s gold

2. unca_chuck said, on March 4, 2017 at 8:17 am

When I moved out of the house my mom tossed 3 shoeboxes full of cards. I wasn’t huge into collecting, I just seemed to accumulate a bunch. They were from about 67 to 75. I know I had a couple Nolan Ryan rookie cards, and a Reggie Jackson rookie card. Now? No. I have random cards over the years, including my Warriors Latrell Sprewell All Star card.

As far as my albums go, I lost 2/3 to a flood. Still have some cool stuff from the 70s as I used to go to Rod’s Used Records in San Carlos.

3. unca_chuck said, on March 4, 2017 at 8:18 am

But we never did the flipping thing. We didn’t even trade them.

4. Flavor said, on March 4, 2017 at 8:26 am

I vividly remember being about 8 years old and meeting Steve Koral at the corner of Hamilton and Island in Palo Alto. We each had a shoebox full of cards and sat down on the street and probably traded cards for 2 hours. I was adamant that Murcer was never included in a trade. After that we played WAR, right there on the street. That was a great game. Senior year in high school I had sex with his ex-girlfriend (they had been broken up about a week). Steve never talked to me again.

• zumiee said, on March 4, 2017 at 8:44 am

Even though you waited a whole week?

• zumiee said, on March 4, 2017 at 8:44 am

πŸ™‚

• gianthead said, on March 4, 2017 at 7:19 pm

That is just not right Flav!!! Bros before you know what…

5. zumiee said, on March 4, 2017 at 8:28 am

I sold a bunch of my records about 20 years ago at a yard sale for a small fraction of their original price and donated the rest to a library. It’s nice to see vinyl making a bit of a comeback, and once in a great while I miss that record collection. But I’m fine with CDs and online music sites, like Pandora and YouTube.

• zumiee said, on March 4, 2017 at 8:32 am

I can appreciate quality sound-systems, but I was never a big audiophile, in that sense. To me, a great song and a great record shine through on most sound-systems.

6. Bozo said, on March 4, 2017 at 8:30 am

I still have a bunch of baseball cards and since I don’t have any kids, I’ve decided to start selling them off. A bunch of the cards aren’t really worth much but the Mays, Mantle and cards from the 60s could probably buy a few beers.

• zumiee said, on March 4, 2017 at 8:42 am

I wonder about collections sometimes. A lot of kids probably don’t even want various collections that are passed down from previous generations. A guy I know recently sold his stamp collection. His kids weren’t much interested in it.

• Bozo said, on March 4, 2017 at 9:49 am

Yeah Zum, when I left SF I gave a bunch of Giants memorabilia to a buddy for his son. The kid is in his early teens now and even though I know he goes with his dad to Giants games, I wonder if he cares about that stuff.

7. alleykat69 said, on March 4, 2017 at 9:27 am

Wish I kept mine, I have a few good ones but most of mine ended up on my stingray bike spokes…

8. unca_chuck said, on March 4, 2017 at 9:46 am

Man, I never sold records. Or rarely. Same with just about everything else. I think since my mom threw away everything that wasn’t nailed down it turned me into a hoarder. I used to read a lot and I have nearly all the books I ever bought. I’ve moved them (boxes and boxes full of books) all over the place. Major PITA.

Somewhere in all those books is a paperback book I got signed by Ray Bradbury when I was in high school.

9. Bozo said, on March 4, 2017 at 10:22 am

I figure I’m getting close to the end of the line and I really don’t want people to have to deal with a ton of shit when I’m dead, so I’m in an unload frame of mind these days. Books I’ll probably keep around, but I do wish I had pared down my LP collection before moving 4,000 miles away. Anyone need a Ray Manzarek solo album? How about Iron Butterfly?

• Flavor said, on March 4, 2017 at 6:00 pm

Sure, send it on over. What line you near the end of? Richmond? Unca says it’s awful there…

• Bozo said, on March 4, 2017 at 6:16 pm

Ha, I always knew it was a bad night when I lived in the Inner Sunset, passed out on the N Judah and didn’t wake up until La Playa street.

10. snarkk said, on March 4, 2017 at 10:40 am

Never was into baseball cards. Not really into memorabilia of any kind like that, autographs, etc. Bats, gloves, that would be OK. Cooperstown — the cases with Honus Wagner shoes and Babe bats, etc., that’s pretty cool. I wouldn’t mind a mint Honus card though, so I could pocket the $700K or whatever they’re worth now…

11. zumiee said, on March 4, 2017 at 3:17 pm

Giants 1b coach hit in face by linedrive, taken to hospital.

• zumiee said, on March 4, 2017 at 3:40 pm

Manager and coaches sit insanely close in Spring Training.

12. wilcojoe said, on March 4, 2017 at 4:10 pm

My parents still have most if not all of my baseball card collection. My step dad keeps them in his sports “shrine” of collectibles along with numerous bobble heads, tickets stubs, etc. I think it’s his way of protecting them, unlike his mom who threw all of his out, among them his cherished Mickey Mantle rookie card.

In fact, I think that’s one of the reasons I did so well on the “name that Giant” game we played a few weeks ago. I have a couple binders full of nothing but Giants players from the 80’s and early 90’s.

Zum mentioned above the smell of the cards, and how the bubble gum scent would linger on them. So true.

I don’t go into 7-11’s very often (mostly because there aren’t many in Texas) but there is something about that smell that hits you when you walk in. It smells of Icees and Topps baseball cards, well probably not really, but that’s what it smells like to me.

13. djloo27 said, on March 4, 2017 at 4:37 pm

In ’60’s Brooklyn, it was major news when the “2nd series” would arrive in a neighborhood candy store…

• djloo27 said, on March 4, 2017 at 4:52 pm

In those days, Topps didn’t release the whole set all at once – they did it incrementally. You would get the same cards over and over till each “new series” came out…

• djloo27 said, on March 4, 2017 at 5:06 pm

The cellophane packs, which had 10 or 12 cards were great because you could see the first and last card.
        I believe there was no gum in those but it’s been a half century, so I could be wrong…

14. zumiee said, on March 4, 2017 at 5:09 pm

Speaking of Brooklyn, for the first time I recently saw the movie “A Tree Grows In Brooklyn,” that was made in the late 1940s. The story is set in about the year 1900. I saw it on the Turner Classic channel. Great movie, and it holds up well. The movie lingers in the mind. At its most basic level, it’s the story of the working poor, and how poverty puts such stress on a family unit, to the breaking point.
    It made me curious to read the book.
    On a side note, it’s a little weird watching those old movies knowing all the actors in the movie aren’t alive anymore.

• djloo27 said, on March 4, 2017 at 5:37 pm

Come visit. We’ll hang…

• zumiee said, on March 4, 2017 at 5:46 pm

Sounds cool! I’ve never been to the NE U.S. I’ve been to the other sectors of the nation.
        I have to admit I’m constantly perplexed by NY geography. I’ll read stuff about NY and then have to look at maps all the time. I just read an article today about a 100 year old bridge called “Hell Gate Bridge.” I was again flummoxed by the geography in the article. You really have to go to a place to really understand the geography of a place.

• zumiee said, on March 4, 2017 at 5:49 pm

I read it in the NY Times, which I get once in a while.

• djloo27 said, on March 4, 2017 at 5:53 pm

Hung out by the HGB with some obscure chick on a date in 1975. She suggested it. It was a long subway ride from South Brooklyn to Astoria. Don’t know what I was thinkin’…

15. Irish Kevin said, on March 4, 2017 at 5:38 pm

Watching Duke and North Carolina!!

• djloo27 said, on March 4, 2017 at 5:49 pm

This might be the beginning of the rivalry…

• Irish Kevin said, on March 4, 2017 at 6:59 pm

Ha ha nice

16. zumiee said, on March 4, 2017 at 5:53 pm

Cueto arrived in camp.

• djloo27 said, on March 4, 2017 at 5:56 pm

His braids are expected tomorrow…

17. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on March 4, 2017 at 7:20 pm

Ah, baseball cards. I had a ton, and they’re long gone; my Mom believes she gave them to my young cousins when my folks moved out of their house while I was away at university, but she’s not sure. I watched those cousins grow up in a nice big house, go to a top university, and drive fancy cars. Since my uncle was a Lutheran minister (meaning, not much of a salary), of course I believed my cousins sold all my cards and financed their education. But that’s really not likely; none of those cards were in anything close to mint condition, as we flipped and traded them for hours and they were probably pretty beat up. Somewhere, I do still have autographed rookie cards for Bonds and Clemens, and they are in mint condition. Now if I could just remember where I stored them….

18. pawliekokonuts said, on March 4, 2017 at 7:58 pm

We played flips. We also stuck a card above the bill of our caps, on the inside, to keep the crown straight. The second series was big for us, too. Was there a third series? We hated it if the checklist was in your pack. I liked the cheesy little summary, with a cartoonish figure, on the back. I should’ve explored this even more in CHASING WILLIE MAYS, the excitement of the day flips came out each spring. Was it March? I pasted cards in my scrapbook. They are still there, many of them. No one thougfht of the “value.” To this day, I have a tradition with my 19yo daughter. I go to Target and buy a pack or two of Topps. I give her a pack when I see her. Sometimes I send them to her at college. She prefers to open them in my presence and ask me about various players, many of whom (AL) I know little about. Her boyfriend reached into his boyhood collection and gave me cards, including a Kurt Manwaring or two, who was his AD back in HS in Elmira.

19. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on March 4, 2017 at 8:21 pm

One of my fav old cards that I remember was in the late ’60s and was titled “Friendly Foes”, showing Mays and Aaron photographed smiling and standing together with bats resting on their shoulders. Also had one that purportedly showed Ruth hitting his 60th. I had a boyhood friend who kept trying to trade me Minnie Minoso cards, he had so many of them.

• djloo27 said, on March 4, 2017 at 10:30 pm

This was a personal fave:

• djloo27 said, on March 4, 2017 at 10:32 pm

I liked the old SF logo on the hat much better than the newer one that’s all pointy. They did the same shit to the Pirates “P”…

20. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on March 4, 2017 at 8:35 pm

Just another example of Spring stats (hopefully) being meaningless: of all of the projected starters in the lineup, so far Panik has 2 rbi’s, and Pence, Nunez, and Belt each have 1. Everyone else, nada. Except for my man Parker, who has 7.

• zumiee said, on March 4, 2017 at 10:04 pm

Dodgers’ Seager is hitless so far. In fact, he sat out today with back stiffness.