Getting Down to 25

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on March 5, 2017

I’m trying to figure out what the Giants are going to do with all of these infielders. Let’s look at the expected 25 and see who’s on the bubble.

The 5 Starting Pitchers are fairly obvious: Bum, Cueto, Moore, Smarge, Cain.

Relievers: Melancon, Law, Strickland, Kontos, Smith, Okert, and then either Oshich or Blach. If they carry both that would be 13 total pitchers which is probably 1 more than they carry but maybe what they decide to start with on Opening Day.

Catchers: Buster and Hundy (that’s gotta be his nickname, right?)

Outfielders: Pence, Span, Parker and Gorky’s. (This is just assuming they go 4 OF’s, it may not be the last 2 guys).

So that’s 19 guys with 6 spots left for the infield. Around the horn we go Belt, Panik, Craw and The great and all-knowing and all-powerful Nunie.

That leaves 2 spots left for Gillaspie (who I have to believe is a lock), Rollins, Hill and Specs….

Anyone see this any differently?

I don’t see how there is any way Specs makes this roster.

1. Bozo said, on March 5, 2017 at 7:24 am

I think you pretty much nailed it. Although don’t forget your guy The Donger and Posey’s buddy, Gordon Beckham are also in that inf mix.

Gorkys is having a terrible Spring but so is my guy, Wynton Bernard, the other CFer backup type guy. Backing up Span may become a very valuable guy who gets a lot of playing time this year, so I hope one of those guys really steps it up.

• Flavor said, on March 5, 2017 at 7:38 am

I didn’t include The Donger or Beckham because I didn’t think they cracked the top 4 of Gilly, Rolly, Hilly and Specs. But who knows, maybe they are in the mix too. I mostly just like saying “the Donger” I can’t imagine he will be able to leapfrog that many guys to make the team. Head to Sactown, who knows, might get a call up later in the year.

2. Flavor said, on March 5, 2017 at 7:59 am

I actually hope Hill makes the team just cause I’m beaten down from the lack of PH power we’ve had the last few years. But Specs should be in front of Rolly. What can J-Rol realistically bring to table anymore? No power. No speed. At least Specs gets you speed.

• Bozo said, on March 5, 2017 at 9:00 am

I’m thinking Rollins and Beckham are pretty much both done, but that whole locker room chemistry thing is probably in play. Also, Beckham is tight with Posey and it seems the Beat guys love chatting with Rollins so you never know.
      I’d prefer Hill over those guys but I don’t think he’s played SS in a hundred years. If the Giants remember that Nunez can play SS then I could see that. Specs I figure will get beat out by having options.

3. alleykat69 said, on March 5, 2017 at 11:02 am

Skies just opened up a massive amount of hail in San Carlos!! Break out a sled!

• Flavor said, on March 5, 2017 at 11:53 am

Just drove down St Francis my man! I love San Carlos.

4. snarkk said, on March 5, 2017 at 11:51 am

There’s only one position spot really on this team, on the IF. And, a handful of dudes going for it. Specs has no shot. I think he’s got an option left, so right there, he’s toast…

5. snarkk said, on March 5, 2017 at 11:56 am

Given that this team seams to yearly have a team wide hitting slump sometime in a season, I thought they should have canned Bam Bam along with the other two coaches in the offseason. I don’t think it would hurt to get somebody with a new approach, a new outlook. Supposedly these hitting coaches are more psychologists than mechanics, so why not make a change? Bam Bam must be responsible for securing Bochy’s supply of red wine or something…

• unca_chuck said, on March 5, 2017 at 12:50 pm

I think Kelly was a much bigger problem.

• chipower9 said, on March 6, 2017 at 10:23 am

I don’t think Bam Bam is the problem. I have heard many of the players mention him, and from vets to rooks, most seem to be very supportive of his approach. I am inclined to agree with Charlie (UncaChuck) that Kelly was the one that had to go.

6. alleykat69 said, on March 5, 2017 at 12:19 pm

To me same things go with Ron Wotus who sets the outfielders positions maybe infielders as well?? Been with the team as long as Rags, but does anyone really think this guy will take over for Bochy once he opens up his vineyards business later on “The 7 deadly Bochys”
    Wotus has been screwed over already for a Manager gig by other teams, what’s to say it won’t happen with the Giants as well??

7. unca_chuck said, on March 5, 2017 at 12:48 pm

Jesus. Steph can’t buy a shot. 4-35 in treys.

8. Macdog said, on March 5, 2017 at 1:02 pm

No music, video or timeout entertainment at MSG for 1st half of Knicks-Warriors. Hoops like it oughta be. Hope that also includes shrieking PA guy.

9. Bozo said, on March 5, 2017 at 1:06 pm

Is this year’s Flap motto “Break Out the Stix”?

• Flavor said, on March 5, 2017 at 2:02 pm

in the Big House, sadly, the motto is *Stix before chicks*

• Bozo said, on March 5, 2017 at 3:26 pm

Ouch

• alleykat69 said, on March 5, 2017 at 3:36 pm

Stix on a dick not to appealing to think about..God we really need to Free Stix quick..

• Flavor said, on March 5, 2017 at 6:38 pm

“ouch” is probably his exact comment

10. willedav said, on March 5, 2017 at 3:09 pm

Specs would make it as back up SS (and platoon if Panik can’t hit LHP any better than last year) in perfect world–Gameface I dig but he can’t back up Craw. Pls no Rollins. Specs runs better, fields better and hits for better avg. Giants accomplish nothing by sending him back to AAA and going with old fart vet.

11. djloo27 said, on March 5, 2017 at 4:35 pm

The Sullen of Swat provided me with the single greatest baseball moment I ever witnessed in person…

• djloo27 said, on March 5, 2017 at 4:48 pm

Whenever I’m feeling a little down, I think of that tee shot clunking off the stupid bullpen shed at Citifield on that magnificent October night. If that doesn’t work, I pull out a copy of my divorce papers…

• Flavor said, on March 5, 2017 at 6:39 pm

Lol, solid gold as usual

• willedav said, on March 5, 2017 at 7:53 pm

He’s a line drive hitter and got hold of one at best possible time. Dude’s a keeper; so cool you were there to see it and represent.

Btw, hopefully they keep one more OF and “only” 12 pitchers.

12. unca_chuck said, on March 5, 2017 at 5:53 pm

This is pretty cool . . .

• alleykat69 said, on March 5, 2017 at 6:28 pm

Great stuff Chuck!!
      Baseball ⚾️ was extra special growing up as kid,just the style of broadcasting by Lon &Russ rather on TV 📺 or usually on the little transistor radio with the built earplug (teacher proof) was awesome especially with the 3M’s Mays,Marichal,McCovey doing their greatness,throwin Cepeda,Perry, and especially Jim Davenport ( my other school boy idol since I knew him and his kids growing up) they were sure exciting to watch along with Bobby Bonds & And the Ripper Jack Clark later on..

13. unca_chuck said, on March 5, 2017 at 6:00 pm

The fight at 5:30 is pretty funny.

Cepeda trying to kill Roger Craig is another highlight.

Just hearing the names is cool.

14. djloo27 said, on March 5, 2017 at 7:52 pm

What’s your O/U on Cain starts?
    I’d set it at 12.5 and bet the under…

• chipower9 said, on March 6, 2017 at 10:26 am

I like your numbers, Loo, and also would take the under.

15. willedav said, on March 5, 2017 at 7:58 pm

Wow. Stanford women win the league tournament over Oregon St. after being down 16-3 to start the game. They gave up 22 points in first quarter, and only 19 entire rest of game. VanDerveer racks up another W.

16. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on March 5, 2017 at 9:53 pm

Cain: hopeful he can reclaim some semblance of past form, but realistically, I could see him having an ok start now and then but basically being unable to go more than 4 or 5 innings. If that’s acceptable as a 5th, ok, but I think it won’t be. This team could well be runs-challenged, so they’ll need more than what Cain might be able to give even as just a 5th. Hope I’m wrong. I wonder how much of a factor it will be that he is now finally in the last year of his contract, so…. maybe he doesn’t get as long a leash this season. As for all those infielders, yeah, obviously if someone has options, those options will be used, meaning someone else might stick who is not necessarily deserving (see Rollins). I wouldn’t be surprised to see at least a minor trade to unjam the jam.

17. chipower9 said, on March 6, 2017 at 7:17 am

They may start with 13 pitchers, but eventually I believe it will settle into 12. That would be a 5th OFer, and if that is the case, I am not sure who has an inside track.

Unless Hill pisses down his leg, I think he will get a shot, but I there is a lot I like about Specs. Speed, hits for average, etc.

But overall, I don’t think you are too far off the mark on the 25.

18. willedav said, on March 6, 2017 at 7:33 am

Craw and Posey take off for couple weeks of WBC, so let audition for backup SS begin.
    Man, I was driving back from Sac b-ball tourney yesterday when that hailstorm hit going up Altamont pass. Everyone slowed to 50 mph. Felt like rocks hitting the windshield.

Sad to see Monmouth blew 14 point lead and lost in semis again last night. Sucks the league has a host team for the Tourney, clear advantage for one school.

• Macdog said, on March 6, 2017 at 8:34 am

The lead was 17 early in the 2nd half. And yes, it sucks for MU having to play what turns out to be a road game as the top seed. Also 2nd-leading scorer MIcah Seaborn was out with a torn meniscus. But enough of the excuses, giving up 64 in the 2nd half of a conference tourney semi ain’t gonna cut it

19. willedav said, on March 6, 2017 at 7:46 am

Fun fact/sobering thought: There was a brawl in WBC last year.
    Axford of the A’s talked about it last week.
    He was warming up in pen for Canada which led Mexico 9-3 top 9th, when Canada hitter bunted for a base hit (run differential is a tie breaker). Mexico pitcher Leon (who also pitched for A’s) beaned the next guy up, and brawl was on, with Axford joining in.

• unca_chuck said, on March 6, 2017 at 8:29 am

Which is why run diff shouldn’t be a thing. Like college football, point differential is a determining factor in rankings, so you get scores like 73-10 as powerhouses crush lesser competition.

20. unca_chuck said, on March 6, 2017 at 8:33 am

Jimmy Rollins? I’d rather have Henry Rollins out there.

21. gianthead said, on March 6, 2017 at 1:37 pm

I think Specs would be getting screwed if he did not make the team…

22. gianthead said, on March 6, 2017 at 1:43 pm

Donger has got to start at AAA. He is no good just sitting on a bench. Also, he needs to prove he can really hit big league caliber pitching and he will acclimate easier in AAA.

I am putting even money on Nunez getting hurt some time before mid-season…

23. chipower9 said, on March 6, 2017 at 1:57 pm

Cain today: 3.1 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 2 Ks. Current ST ERA 7.36.

He probably already has the 5th rotation spot.

Hill with an RBI and run scored today. The thing I like about Hill outside of his ability to play multiple IF positions is his RH power off the bench.

I like Specs for his speed and BA, but unless Hill just pisses all over himself the rest of the way, Hill probably gets the nod on one of the utility spots. Game face is also having a nice spring. I am thinking Gillaspie and Hill get the nod.

24. zumiee said, on March 6, 2017 at 5:14 pm

Big shocker: Bogut injured in his first game with the Cavs.

• unca_chuck said, on March 6, 2017 at 6:10 pm

30 seconds into his first game with the Cavs . . .

• snarkk said, on March 6, 2017 at 6:31 pm

Broken tibia…

25. unca_chuck said, on March 6, 2017 at 6:12 pm

Steph and Draymond just don’t get calls.They’ve both been getting mugged all night.

26. willedav said, on March 6, 2017 at 7:54 pm

I enjoy this week of college b-ball the most, conference title games. imo they are more interesting and you see closer games and more cool players I’m unfamiliar with than first Tourney games. Iona and Siena down to last minute in a tie game. Winner probably gets a team like Villanova in first round.

27. unca_chuck said, on March 6, 2017 at 7:55 pm

Anybody see this?

Unreal.

28. willedav said, on March 6, 2017 at 8:26 pm

As Bozo mentioned, SF could keep both Hill and Gameface and use Nunez as everyday 3b and back up to Craw at SS.
    While this would certainly be a recipe for saran wrap party at Casa Flavor, remember this guy in 7yrs of ml baseball has a total of 1700 ABs.
    He’s never been a regular for anyone ever except the Twins and Giants last year when he produced his best numbers. His career OPS+ of 94 is around what Span did last season. Seems like a reach to me that he doesn’t revert to near mean of what he’s been in his career—just above replacement level.

29. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on March 6, 2017 at 9:36 pm

It’s an interesting discussion, who among the pile of infielders gets to be on the Opening Day roster, and I also would lean toward backups like Hill and Gillaspie and even Hwang… but knowing the Giants’ love for veterans, it’s hard to imagine why they would’ve signed Rollins if they did not intend to keep him. I mean, has Bochy already mentally pencilled Rollins in? Haven’t read much about J-Roll’s spring, but it might not really even matter, unless he looks completely done and done-r…..