Old Men Make Good…..

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on March 7, 2017

Cain has whittled his ERA down to the Jackson, Tenn area code and that’s probably enough to lock up the #5 spot in the rotation. Also, the aged J-Roll offered to play second base yesterday, further cementing his flexibility and endearing himself to an already smitten manager.

The Giants finally won another baseball game yesterday and are now only 4.0 games off the Cactus division lead!

1. chipower9 said, on March 7, 2017 at 7:26 am

LMAO…not sure WTF the area code is for Jackson, Tenn, but this had me laughing. I posted yesterday, that after his outing yesterday, The Horse’s ERA was down to a tidy 7.xx, and also said that is probably enough to lock-up the fifth spot. So, it really comes down to the extra OFers and utility guys. I hope like hell J-Roll is NOT one of them. I am leaning Gillaspie and Hill right now for the utility guys.

2. chipower9 said, on March 7, 2017 at 7:27 am

Had to look up that area code – 731. Yep…7.31 or something close it is.

3. chipower9 said, on March 7, 2017 at 7:40 am

Saw some of the chatter about JRoll towards the end of yesterday’s thread.

Here are his stats, to date in 6 games with 14 AB (not significantly less than any of the regulars or those with a realistic chance of making the 25):

3 R, 2 H, 0 extra base hits, 3 BB, 2 Ks, .143, .333, .143, .476.

As I said, I sure as fuck hope he isn’t one who grabs a final spot.

I like the Donger’s over numbers: .308, .308, .615, .923, but 4 Ks and no BB hurts. Not sure how many errors he has committed.

I still lean towards Hill and Gillaspie as those who make the team. I think Specs goes to Sactown due to his having options, and there he will get a chance to play almost every day.

4. willedav said, on March 7, 2017 at 8:02 am

Rollins was supposed to be at SS yesterday but he and Hill switched. Hill, who is 34, hasn’t played much SS in 10 yrs. At AZ he was mostly 2b and 3b. Also, 2014 and 2015 combined he hit 16 HRS, while playing for the DBax. So gotta wonder how much pop really is left in that bat.

Rollins of course, sucked bad enough at the plate to be let go by LA and the WhiteSox. Keep one of Gameface and Hill, use Specs to back up Craw and give him a day off once in a while.

Not a coincidence imo that Bochy has had Blach come in after Cain, yesterday with men on base (he gave up run scoring hit but otherwise has been doing well). I think this is part of the game plan going forward, to use Blach out of the pen at least to start the season.

• chipower9 said, on March 7, 2017 at 8:17 am

If you need a RH bat off the bench to possibly give you a bomb, Hill has a much better chance there than Specs. But if Specs makes the club with either Gillaspie or Hill as the other utility guy, I am down with that, too. I just will not be surprised if Specs starts the season in Sac.

5. Bozo said, on March 7, 2017 at 8:06 am

Hey, Matt has a better ERA than Bum (7.50) and Moore (11.25). The good news is, the first run he gave up yesterday was a guy who got on after Pence lost the ball in the sun and the second was a runner that scored after Blach gave up a double.
    I’m not going to be a Matt Cain apologist all year but I am rooting for the guy. If he can give us something like he did in May last years I’d be happy (not counting the game he left in the second inning due to injury). He got bombed in one game followed by 3 quality starts. The game he got bombed in was the 17-7 loss to the Rocks (sounds like the ball was flying that day), Cain lasted 4 innings and gave up 6 earned. In the three quality starts he went 21 innings and gave up 4 earned runs.
    Seriously, if Matt can put up numbers like that and Blach is used in long relief and sometimes as a Loogy, I’d be down with that.

• chipower9 said, on March 7, 2017 at 8:15 am

Agree, Clown. I am pulling for him, too. I think he may be done, but I hope he proves me wrong.

6. djloo27 said, on March 7, 2017 at 8:41 am

Maybe Cain can be that middle inning super-guy that Lincecum was briefly in the 2012 post-season.
    Yeah, right…

• Bozo said, on March 7, 2017 at 9:39 am

I’m glad they used Tim in that role, because that one game he started sure didn’t turn out that well.
      But yeah, if they have to, I’m sure they’ll try Matt in the pen.

7. willedav said, on March 7, 2017 at 8:56 am

I’ve always thought it hurt Bochy to watch Lincecum struggle and I’m sure he feels the same way about Cain. He’s trying to find the best scenario where he can be successful part of the team. I know it’s a business and all, but I’m sure he’d like to see Cain go out a winner if this is last go round.

8. zumiee said, on March 7, 2017 at 9:16 am

The World Baseball Classic has started!!

• Bozo said, on March 7, 2017 at 9:23 am

Perfect.

9. mrsprtdude said, on March 7, 2017 at 9:23 am

We kinda have to pull for him don’t we? You know he is the 5th starter already, and will be at through the end of may. Every teams 5th starter sucks, so not a super huge deal.
    Our biggest issue imo is Pence. If he is right and does a 25 / 90 pace then pressure is much less on Posey and Belt.
    Span and Panik will hit a light weight .280 combined. Posey, Pence, Belt, and Craw will be the next four, then Nunie, LF, pitcher. Any one else see the line up differently?
    Posey Belt Craw are predictable. All 3 will do close to what they did last year and the year before. They all are what they are.
    Pence is the key…

• chipower9 said, on March 7, 2017 at 12:38 pm

Pence’s numbers are predictable, too. The wildcard is his health. Even in the years he did not play a full season 2015 (52) and last year (106) his numbers project to pretty much his average for average, OPS, etc. So, him being healthy is the key, I believe.

His lifetime averages are BA .284 and OPS .809, averaging 24 bombs and 93 RBI. If he plays a majority of the games this year and hits anywhere close to his lifetime average, that will work.

10. willedav said, on March 7, 2017 at 11:21 am

Hope St. Mary’s has another great game in them tonight. They blasted BYU, who beat Zags a week ago to end their unbeaten streak. Zags are loaded with talent tho, with good inside and outside game. Plus they have the grad senior guy from UW, Goss, a top PG running the show. SMC is fun team to watch, local fav/best of bay area.

11. Flavor said, on March 7, 2017 at 11:50 am

I pull for Cain but I don’t discount reality. I don’t understand why these starters who are getting older and who can still cobble together a couple of solid innings, don’t get sent to the bullpen to do just that. Pride or $$$ or whatever seems to get in the way. But a role is a role and all roles are important. Would you rather: 1) fail as a starting pitcher because you can’t make it through 4 innings every start or would you rather: 2) carve out an important role in the BP that you are good at?
    Is that even a question to answer?

• alleykat69 said, on March 7, 2017 at 11:58 am

Not for Cain he’s gonna implode in any of those 2 roles..
      You need to call for an emergency just dial 911 Cain…

• willedav said, on March 7, 2017 at 12:18 pm

well, most of them answer it the same way. Lincecum told every team this time last year he only wanted be an SP, and we know how that worked out.

Look at what Cain is quoted as saying: ” I’m definitely improving what I need to do with the execution of pitches. I feel like we’re moving in the right direction and doing the things I need to do to get ready for the season.”

All these guys want the feeling of getting the ball to start, and then getting the W by going 5+ and the team scoring enough runs for them…regardless of how many that might actually take.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 7, 2017 at 12:24 pm

• Bozo said, on March 7, 2017 at 12:40 pm

Pride, routine, mental? I don’t know and with Rags there to explain how he was able make the switch, you’d think it would be easier. The Giants let Zito mostly suck as a starter for 7 years, they let Timmy suck mainly as a starter for 4 years (and the Angels let him suck for one more), Cain has sucked for 4 years now and if he can’t cut it I’d imagine they’d give him the option to be in the Pen or develop a mystery injury.
      After throwing almost 2,000 innings for us, being a major contributor in two championships and at the end of his contract, he gets some rope.

12. gianthead said, on March 7, 2017 at 1:13 pm

You all just know that Bochy is just dying to get Jimmy Rollins some starts…I am still hoping for a Cain DL trip…

13. unca_chuck said, on March 7, 2017 at 1:28 pm

Yeah, I’d love to see the Gaels win one vs Gonzaga, Willie.

The old adage is it is hard to beat a team 3 times, and the Zags had their hands full with Santa Clara last night, but we’ll see.

14. chipower9 said, on March 7, 2017 at 1:48 pm

Hoping like hell St. Mary’s can pull one off, tonight. I have a friend here at work who is a big Zags fan (he and his kids all graduated from there). St. Mary’s is my alma mater. Go Gaels!

15. Macdog said, on March 7, 2017 at 1:50 pm

A Donger dong!

16. eddacker said, on March 7, 2017 at 2:25 pm

What happened with Mac playing left field?
    I do not read you all chatting with his name in the mix.
    Games on the radio and pictures of sun lit grass has me all nostalgic and ready to follow baseball like a dead fan – from town to town all summer long.

• Macdog said, on March 7, 2017 at 3:08 pm

Mac played LF today and hit a HR.

17. snarkk said, on March 7, 2017 at 2:37 pm

I’m headed for Phoenix for a few days the week of the 20th. Hope to see at least one Gyros game. If anybody will be there, let me know. Sorry, but I’m not pulling for Cain. Get the young arms in there and let’s move forward…

• Flavor said, on March 7, 2017 at 4:44 pm

Kruk was in full “you’re killing me, Kruk” mode this morning. He called Cain’s start yesterday very good and was happy for him saying “if he’s one of the starting 5 it’s because he earned it”….Jesus. Yeah, he’s really *earning* it. To the tune of 21 mil this year…..

• unca_chuck said, on March 7, 2017 at 7:56 pm

The regular season is bad enough. Preseason? Meh.

18. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on March 7, 2017 at 7:01 pm

Still pondering this thread’s headline… Old men make good what? ….. Omelettes? Lovers? …

19. Flavor said, on March 7, 2017 at 7:45 pm

• unca_chuck said, on March 7, 2017 at 7:58 pm

Where are they playing the games? North Korea?

• xoot said, on March 7, 2017 at 8:14 pm

that’s Japanese on the wall, Yoenis Cespedes’s little brother Yoelkis (really) is playing CF for Cuba right now. 19 yrs old. Very good. Cuba’s got a no no going vs. China. I’m working, keeping one eye on the Tokyo astroturf, one ear on the Sonos (Sturgill Simpson–you can buy a t-shirt from his website that says Who the fuck is Sturgill Simpson?).

20. unca_chuck said, on March 7, 2017 at 7:54 pm

Hey Chuck, how the fuck did an Oklahoma boy end up st St Mary’s? You on the rugby team?

• unca_chuck said, on March 7, 2017 at 7:58 pm

Daughter #1s alma mater. Class of 2013.

21. Macdog said, on March 7, 2017 at 8:25 pm

Just saw a spring training score: A’s 21, D’Backs 13.

22. zumiee said, on March 7, 2017 at 9:03 pm

If the team from China was a team in MLB, I think their season record would be about 2-160.

• snarkk said, on March 7, 2017 at 9:07 pm

Yeah, but they can probably build an iPhone in the dugout during the game…

• xoot said, on March 7, 2017 at 9:21 pm

Bruce Chen (39, 17 middling yrs in mlb) came out of retirement to start for China tonight. Cuba’s always interesting, though.

• xoot said, on March 7, 2017 at 9:32 pm

Well some days you kill it and some days you just choke
      Some days you blast off and some days you just smoke