Underwhelming

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on March 11, 2017

I was fiddle-de-doing around mlb.com trying to find something remotely interesting about the Giants camp and I saw a vid headline that said something about a Puerto Rico walk off bomb. I ignore the WBC the same way I ignore the Olympics but I thought, “Hey, walk off bombs can be cool, I’ll check it out.”

Sure enough, TJ RIvera hit a walk off bomb. But not the kind you think. His bomb pushed the score to 11-0 so the game ended on the mercy rule. That was the *highlight* they were showing on the main page of mlb.com.

Anyway, the WBC is stupid, spring training lasts too long and I’m ready for some real baseball…..

1. zumiee said, on March 11, 2017 at 6:50 am

The Warriors and Kings both lost close games last night.
    I’m not into college basketball this season.
    I actually watched a little bit of cricket on one of the sports channels last night.
    This is a drab week in sports, in my opinion.
    Fortunately I had the latest season of “Sherlock” on the DVR. That show is awesome.

2. willedav said, on March 11, 2017 at 7:06 am

Snarkk, I don’t think Cal gets in. they don’t have any good Ws, even at home, the whole year. They play good D and keep the score at a slower pace and usually remain in games vs. better teams but they don’t beat them. They lost like 5 of last 6 league games (including Stanford and other teams like Colo that won’t get in either) and got blown out by 30 at Utah, a team that lost to Oregon State the bottom feeder that only won 1 league game.

I love this week, lot of great college ball and unsung heroes that come up big. Next week some of the small college teams that get in get way overmatched and blown out, but the games to get in is usually very exciting and feature good players you never heard of. The ever annoying coach K has Duke back on track. I know bunch of Carolina folks, and give them a bad time whenever Williams loses a game he should have won, which is quite often.

3. willedav said, on March 11, 2017 at 7:11 am

WBC isn’t such a bad idea but there is no way to make it work in ST or any other time either. A guy on F/G proposed doing it in July—skip the A/S game and get it done in 2 weeks+ with one host country and less travel. But you’d have to start the season earlier and then clubs in North would get rained or snowed out/play on the road, and you’d still have issue of all not involved getting a long mid season break.

How did it get started? Who makes all the $$$? Guessing those 2 go together…

4. zumiee said, on March 11, 2017 at 7:17 am

The Kings lost in overtime; earlier in the game, the Kings blew a 3-on-1 fast break, and a 4-on-2 break. Those are precious opportunities. Both times, the guys leading the break had no idea what they were doing. The head coach has some challenges ahead of him.

• zumiee said, on March 11, 2017 at 7:24 am

The Wizards have a great pair of guards, and the Kings had trouble defending them. The Wizards’ frontcourt guys are kind of meh.

5. willedav said, on March 11, 2017 at 7:32 am

One final b-ball post. check out this from Stanford AD a year ago: “I have no doubt Jerrod Haase will soon lead our program to pac 12 championships and that we will be a regular participant in the NCAA tourney.”

Delusional PR fluff to mollify equally delusional fan base that thought if they dumped Dawkins they’d automatically be way better. Stanford actually did worse in league play without Dawkins coaching them than last year, despite fact that unlike Dawkins Haase had mostly full use of his dominant all league inside guy Travis. Yes the league is a lot tougher, but Stanford is not.

They have couple decent bigs but are consistently outplayed and outshot on perimeter, at home and on the road. They simply do not have near enough talent in the program and until that changes from a recruiting perspective they aren’t going anywhere near league titles or the NCAA. I thought Haase did a decent job, but he doesn’t have the horses to compete in this race and an impact one and done fix (like what happens elsewhere around the league) doesn’t seem likely at Stanford.

• Flavor said, on March 11, 2017 at 7:53 am

Dawkins wouldn’t have done any better. And Stanford bball is now completely behind the 8-ball with the way college hoops runs today. 1 and done, and education doesn’t matter anymore not to mention these kids hitting the NBA after one season are raw as hell and not getting any better. Bitter post? Sure. But college hoops needs to be fixed.

• willedav said, on March 11, 2017 at 8:17 am

Agreed for most part. If NBA refused to take anyone until 2-3 yrs of college maybe more guys would stick it out. Dawkins last decent team (sweet 16 I think) had Powell Randle and Brown as seniors.
        This year there are some seniors who can really play like Hamilton of UCLA and D White of Colo, plus Bird of Cal.
        But Stanford ball is less about talent of coach than talent of players, which isn’t league level imo.

6. willedav said, on March 11, 2017 at 8:22 am

Anyone seen Pagan play for PR? Read a story O’s passed on him due to some issues with the physical. Story in Chron here said he wasn’t into taking minor league deals. Consensus seems to be after the WBC ends someone will grab him as 4th OF; wonder if he will sign anywhere or only for a contending team, of which there are only so many esp in NL.

• snarkk said, on March 11, 2017 at 10:01 am

Angel has $51.36 million in career earnings. With tax, he’s probably banked around $32-35MM. That goes pretty far in PRico. I suppose he’s got a macho thing going where he doesn’t want to be “disrespected” by having to earn his way onto a contract at his age and service time. If you have banked that much career coin and live in a low cost place, your tolerance for such disrespect must be low…

• xoot said, on March 11, 2017 at 12:12 pm

I saw most of the game the Giants played vs PR. Pagan sliced a bloop single off Melancon. (Melancon got out of the inning with three Ks). Pagan looked healthy.

• snarkk said, on March 11, 2017 at 12:17 pm

I would have no problem with Pagan on the Giants 25. Just be ready for him to go on the DL, and have somebody lubed up in Sac ready to come in…

7. chipower9 said, on March 11, 2017 at 10:09 am

Not enamoured with the WBC, but the reality is that it is not going anywhere. So when the options are a WBC game vs. just about any other non-baseball sporting event, I’m gonna watch. US-Columbia game was pretty damned entertaining, and I will be T-ing up the US-DR game later today. It helps pass the time until the real-deal is in motion.

8. snarkk said, on March 11, 2017 at 10:14 am

When Cain gets bought out next year, his career earnings will be $146 million. Some may be familiar with this, but a site I just discovered is spotrac.com — user friendly, and with all sorts of salary info on teams and players…

• unca_chuck said, on March 11, 2017 at 5:23 pm

You lurking on my blog? Heh heh.

I just mentioned that in regards to Jay Cltler. He of the 68-71 record, has made $112 mill in his 11 year career.

Fuuuuuuuuuuck.

9. snarkk said, on March 11, 2017 at 10:24 am

The NBA and players CBA should add a year onto the draft’s eligibility rule. Min 2 years in college would give college basketball a much better product. NFL has 3 years because the owners don’t want to pay anything for their farm system, and the colleges know that 1 and done in football means a really crappy product on the field..

10. Flavor said, on March 11, 2017 at 1:43 pm

Carl Steward‏Verified account @stewardsfolly 28m28 minutes ago
    Michael Morse is turning back the clock today — two massive homers, including one that just cleared the batter’s eye in center field. Wow.

11. Flavor said, on March 11, 2017 at 2:29 pm

No Dozing at 10-1. Gimme.

• Flavor said, on March 11, 2017 at 2:32 pm

I also like the 9. Don’t like the favorite.

12. Flavor said, on March 11, 2017 at 2:46 pm

disappointing. My future derby bets are in tatters.

13. zumiee said, on March 11, 2017 at 4:00 pm

This Dominican Rep. team’s lineup is stacked.

14. zumiee said, on March 11, 2017 at 4:02 pm

The Warriors/Spurs game tonight will be missing many dudes on both teams.

• Flavor said, on March 11, 2017 at 4:30 pm

lots of debate about this and who’s fault it is and what can the paying fan do to protect themselves. Unfortunately, I can’t think of much the fan can do other than be very flexible and buy tickets the day of the game.
      It’s stupid that the NBA makes these teams play so many back to backs and often 3 games in 4 nights. Hoops isn’t like baseball (as you know). These dudes are expending a shit load of energy then throw travel and no sleep on top of that, not to mention all the hoes, and something needs to get done about the scheduling….

• zumiee said, on March 11, 2017 at 4:57 pm

And tonight’s game is on national network TV. The NBA has a problem with its regular season.

15. zumiee said, on March 11, 2017 at 4:59 pm

Salvador Perez injured in a collision at the plate. Looked just like the Durant injury.

16. zumiee said, on March 11, 2017 at 5:46 pm

Craw, 2 hits, 2 RBIs.

17. zumiee said, on March 11, 2017 at 6:22 pm

Corey Seager tweaked an oblique muscle. Uncertain for opening day now.

18. zumiee said, on March 11, 2017 at 6:52 pm

Stanton’s been a rally-killer.

19. unca_chuck said, on March 11, 2017 at 6:58 pm

Yeah the warriors played 5 on the road, one at home, and 2 more on the road. They flew from Atlanta to play one home game, then they played in Minn, and in San Antonio the next day.

8 cities in 12 days. Nutso.

20. zumiee said, on March 11, 2017 at 7:00 pm

Andrew Miller coughs it up.

• zumiee said, on March 11, 2017 at 7:04 pm

Miller is probably thinking: criminy, this is Spring Training, and I’m pitching in a playoff game.

21. snarkk said, on March 11, 2017 at 7:04 pm

Did not hear/see today’s Giants v Reds.
    But, box shows Cain got his butt kicked again.
    3 frames; 6 hits; 5 earnies, 2 BB; 2 K; 1 HR gifted. 4 runs given up in the 3rd. Sounds like last year.
    Now sporting a sweet 9.58 Spring ERA…

• zumiee said, on March 11, 2017 at 7:08 pm

Phantom injury, coming around the bend….

• snarkk said, on March 11, 2017 at 7:16 pm

If this performance continues, yeah. Flexor tendon or shoulder tendinitis?
        This Cain contract is now fully in Zito territory for disastrous outlay of money…

• Flavor said, on March 11, 2017 at 8:07 pm

I don’t understand. Last week Kruk told me that Cain was “earning” the 5th spot. lol. Kruk is just out to lunch on some of this stuff.

22. zumiee said, on March 11, 2017 at 7:13 pm

The base runner that collided with Sal Perez was a Royals teammate.
    Royals fans do a face-palm.

23. zumiee said, on March 11, 2017 at 7:25 pm

The Warriors’ JV team is getting soundly defeated. ABC executives are swallowing Rolaids.

24. djloo27 said, on March 11, 2017 at 7:31 pm

Seeing T.J. Rivera’s name in the starting lineup against Bum in the WC game gave me plenty of confidence…

25. Flavor said, on March 11, 2017 at 8:14 pm

I don’t know what the San Antonio fans are complaining about, they have the MOST experience with this shit. Pop has been doing this for years. I know that logistically this is tough but the only way to not get screwed is buy tickets day of game….

• djloo27 said, on March 11, 2017 at 9:14 pm

It’s a fuckin’ disgrace and makes no sense in any way…

26. zumiee said, on March 12, 2017 at 7:39 am

Without replay, the WBC teams are stuck with all the blown calls by the umps.

27. willedav said, on March 12, 2017 at 7:50 am

read up on WBC game that said Marlins park was full, for like first time ever. So some one cares.
    No idea how to make this work tho.

Hard for me to disagree with Loo’s 9:14. A C Green played over 1000 games in a row… an hour of b-ball shouldn’t be excruciating. And it’s not like NBA all of a sudden is playing 80 games.

• djloo27 said, on March 12, 2017 at 8:06 am

You can alienate a fan for life – especially at today’s ticket prices…

• willedav said, on March 12, 2017 at 8:36 am

wilt once played every single minute of every game in a season, tho I think he got thrown out of an OT game, like 50 yrs ago. No way athletes, esp his size, back then were afforded travel amenities of today, .
      I just don’t understand the rest argument.

28. willedav said, on March 12, 2017 at 7:53 am

the Super 70s pic the other day of Dallas Mavs guy has been bugging me…I think that’s Brad Davis with the funky hair cut, who was a pretty good 3 pt shooter in his day.

29. willedav said, on March 12, 2017 at 3:41 pm

tough break for Cal. Jabari Bird did suffer concussion, so I hope he’s cleared to play once NIT starts.

30. djloo27 said, on March 12, 2017 at 4:02 pm

Maybe someone more qualified wants to do this. It looked easy enough but I think you need a commissioner or something. Probably too complicated for me…

31. zumiee said, on March 12, 2017 at 4:04 pm

Ryan Dempster is the starting pitcher for Canada. Say what?

32. snarkk said, on March 12, 2017 at 4:18 pm

At least the NCAA poobahs put the top 3 Pac12 teams all in different regions, so they won’t knock each other off before a final 4. Hopefully one of them will get that far, maybe 2. Bird being concussed probably hurt Cal’s shot at a berth. NCAA dudes are very aware of injuries. Are there 68 teams better than Cal? No. Look at the rankings 55 to 68. Cal certainly is good enough to be in that range. I don’t know how many ACC and Big East teams got in, but probably a few too many, as usual. And as usual, Duke looks to have ez sledding into the sweet 16…

33. zumiee said, on March 12, 2017 at 5:01 pm

Nice column from Scott Ostler in the Chronicle today in the sports section. “It’s OK- Everything’s Fine,” his sarcastic title for a column about ‘post-fact’ America. He really put his heart on his sleeve, and risked backlash from some readers. Kudos to him.

34. Flavor said, on March 12, 2017 at 5:39 pm

Marty Lurie stressing out on KNBR right now trying to figure out what the better seat is, sitting behind home plate and watching a home run or being in the bleachers and having it come right at you. If he has to ask that question I’m guessing he hasn’t spent much time in the bleachers….

35. zumiee said, on March 12, 2017 at 6:48 pm

Posey HR, Craw 2 2bs.

• zumiee said, on March 12, 2017 at 7:07 pm

Didn’t want to see Posey catching all nine innings of an 8-0 win, though. That seems kind of messed up. I thought the team was going to have three catchers on its roster.

36. zumiee said, on March 12, 2017 at 7:48 pm

Petit is pitching for Venezuela and getting shelled by Mexico.

37. unca_chuck said, on March 12, 2017 at 8:15 pm

Wilt played a LOT of games against competition that was not very good. At all.

I think guys are bigger faster and stronger. And the scheduling is retarded.

38. mrsprtdude said, on March 12, 2017 at 8:39 pm

Re Dubs…Where is the professional pride? Anyone over 45 ( many of us) think Bird, Parrish McCale would sit vs the Lakers? Magic Kareem, Worthy sitting too???
    The schedule is lame but they are professionals. That said..
    Kerr has his head up his ASS. If you are going to sit he stars sit them Friday vs the TWolves.
    You give away a game vs the team chasing you to take home court away in the Conf Finals. DUMB!

Serves the Dubs right they lost to TWolves anyway. Bad sports Karma.

39. unca_chuck said, on March 12, 2017 at 9:20 pm

I think Kerr’s thinking was if I play the regulars against one of the 2 teams, I pick Minn rather than SA as it’s a more winnable game. They lost. Oh well.

Look at some games in the 70s and 80s, even the 90s. Look at the guys now. Night and day.

As far as Kerr goes, dude’s been coaching for 2.5 years and has made 2 finals? He’s doing fine. I have no problem with him resting his guys. I think it hurt them last year to chase the win record and he learned from that.

40. unca_chuck said, on March 12, 2017 at 10:31 pm

Room just came in for Mexico. First I’ve seen of any kind of baseball thus far.

41. zumiee said, on March 12, 2017 at 10:37 pm

Romo gives up a 2-run jack.

• zumiee said, on March 12, 2017 at 10:42 pm

Then gives up 2 singles and gets taken out of the game.

42. mrsprtdude said, on March 12, 2017 at 10:48 pm

Love Kerr. Just as i love the job Bochy has done. Doesn’t mean some criticism isn’t in order now and then. That said… it wasn’t just another game. Great chance Dubs lose home court now. Considering that, I think they should have tried to win THAT game. I have no problem resting guys. Why that game vs another. On the calendar all year you could make a case that this one game was the most important road game they had all year. On this brutal trip that wasn’t the game to rest the entire lineup. A VERY winnable game with Aldridge and Leonard out. just my 2 cents…

43. mrsprtdude said, on March 12, 2017 at 10:48 pm

Re Romo..hopefully a sign of things to come wearing blue:)