Matt Cain

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on March 13, 2017

He is the only guy in camp who’s reached the infamous pitching triple double: 16 hits,  12 runs, 11 earned runs allowed. Not good, and Bochy can’t possible spin this guy into the rotation. About the only thing good about any of this is that we’re just talking about the #5 spot. Many teams are still trying to fill multiple spots in their starting rotation. Truthfully, starting pitching is the last thing a Giants fan should be worried about this spring.

1. unca_chuck said, on March 13, 2017 at 7:19 am

YeH. What’s the expectation of the 5th guy? .500 would be epic. 8 would be par… I guess that becomes the question. Can he reach 8 wins?

8-14? That seems about right. One out of 3 starts is good.

• Flavor said, on March 13, 2017 at 7:22 am

I don’t think he will be good enough to make that many starts. Not even Bochy can tolerate that level of failure. It was easier when it was Rowand and he just blended like a shit stain into the carpet. But it’s tough to hide a SP who can’t make it thru the fourth inning more than 1/3 times

• chipower9 said, on March 13, 2017 at 8:17 am

I don’t think he will get that deep into the season as a starter. The more I listen/watch, the more I think he is done. Of course, that big contract is probably still talking, but that alone cannot carry Cain too far.

2. willedav said, on March 13, 2017 at 7:55 am

I was thinking about HRs the other day. If SF can get 50+ out of Panik Span Craw and Nunez, and then 60+ out of Pence Belt Posey, I think LF can produce 15-20 btw Parker/Mac/fill in another back up beside Gorkys who isn’t here for anything beside D at this level. the guy is D-lew at the plate.
    Bench guys including Hundley and the IF rap out at least 10. The low end would be 145-ish, up 15-20 over last year.
    Last year they had 7 in double figures, I could see that going up to at least 8 maybe 9.

Just like the 5 and SPs, I don’t see HRs as a problem either.

• djloo27 said, on March 13, 2017 at 7:57 am

Don’t forget the veteran they’ll pick up on July 31st…

• Flavor said, on March 13, 2017 at 10:02 am

i don’t see anyone on this team hitting more than 20, max.

3. alleykat69 said, on March 13, 2017 at 8:21 am

Cain will still win,but only his bets on the Golf Course..

4. unca_chuck said, on March 13, 2017 at 10:06 am

I guess I should have been clearer in that getting 8 wins over the season out of the 5th spot, not necessarily Cain, but whoever they plug in after him as well.

• chipower9 said, on March 13, 2017 at 1:00 pm

That is probably realistic…

Cain? Pray for Rain!

5. gianthead said, on March 13, 2017 at 3:22 pm

I’ve predicted since the start of spring training that Cain will start the year off on the DL and let him hang with the team for a couple of months of rehab. They have to put the ball in Blach’s hand and give him their full confidence. At least for 2 months…

Very cool happening out here, my kids’ high school boys varsity won their first state championship. 32 point victory against a pretty white boy 3 point team. Not bad from a rural school in a town of less than 10k and the smaller of the local high schools!!!

6. djloo27 said, on March 13, 2017 at 7:04 pm

If the White Sox are in the shitter come July, I go hard after Melky…

• Flavor said, on March 13, 2017 at 7:21 pm

Middle of this season it’ll be 5 years since he left. let The Melk Man go dawg, it’s time, let him go…..

• xoot said, on March 13, 2017 at 7:47 pm

Remember how fast he was in LF? He tracked down fly balls and LDs nobody else would’ve been close to.

• djloo27 said, on March 13, 2017 at 10:09 pm

You’re probably right, Flav, but so is Xoot.
        On paper this team’s a bore.
        A band of misfits no more…

7. willedav said, on March 13, 2017 at 7:51 pm

Wow Flav, your 10:02 is some serious doom. I think as Pence Posey Belt Craw age they’ll hit more HRs at expense of the BA. I think they’ll be more prone to wallop a mistake with all out crush swing but get fewer base hits.
    Still think 150 for the team is doable and anyone of the 4 above could get past 20, Parker too.

8. snarkk said, on March 13, 2017 at 7:59 pm

Heard on radio b-cast that Span is hitting a robust 1-20 so far in ST.
    Really happy he’s not leaving all his good swings in the desert…

9. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on March 13, 2017 at 7:59 pm

I don’t know if Posey’s swing has changed over the years, but he just seems to have *lost* his HR swing. Always considered him a threat at any time, but now, not so much. Pence seems to have aged a bit in the last year or two and will certainly crush one now and then but I also don’t see 20 HRs from him either. Craw and Panik, if they stay healthy, maybe. And I agree that Parker could hit 20, if he gets the playing time….

• xoot said, on March 13, 2017 at 8:47 pm

The HR Posey hit in the wbc game the other day went farther than any he hit last season. Could be harbinger.

• djloo27 said, on March 13, 2017 at 9:24 pm

He’s just another one who thinks it’s against the rules to pull the ball…

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on March 13, 2017 at 9:24 pm

Me likey such harbingers.

10. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on March 13, 2017 at 8:14 pm

Oops, forgot Belt. He just might be the team leader in HRs this year. Oh, and Morse, with all those 3-run shots as a late inning pinch-hitter…. 🙂

• djloo27 said, on March 13, 2017 at 9:18 pm

At ATT, Belt prefers hitting 410 foot outs to 310 foot homers…

11. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on March 13, 2017 at 10:14 pm

The outfield situation is possibly taking shape. Parker’s production over Mac at this point gives him the edge to start in LF, and Marrero has also produced, inserting himself into the reserve OFer discussion. Still a bit of a glut of infielders. With what should be stellar starting pitching and better relieving this year, I’m kinda hoping they don’t keep 13 pitchers, as they sometimes have done, and maybe even not 12. Ideally, if they’re all pitching well, the 5 starters plus 6 relievers should be enough. I feel like it wasn’t all that long ago that pitching staffs were 10, 5 of each. Having *only* 6 in the ‘pen would certainly curtail some of those 4 pitching change innings….

12. djloo27 said, on March 13, 2017 at 10:22 pm

Guys rarely win jobs in ST anymore. I think it’s all about contracts and options nowadays…

13. willedav said, on March 13, 2017 at 11:30 pm

I remember Melk making a killer throw from LF down the line after catching a fly ball to nail someone, at the plate I think. He raked in the AS game too, guy was just on fire while he was here.

I was wondering something else too…conga line, where’d that come from? Stix?

14. […] in Uncategorized by Flavor on March 14, 2017 djloo27 said, on March 13, 2017 at 10:09 pm […]