SF Loss is Sacramento Gain

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on March 26, 2017

Sadly, the reign of The Long Donger has just about come to an end. I’m happy he seems + about the trip to Sacramento but I’m worried that if he’s left there too long his attitude might change and he may consider a trip back to Seoul for a little R&R just like Hawk and Trapper used to do back in the day.

What would have to happen for him to get called up? Probably a lot. Assuming Nunie’s shoulder is just feeling ouchy he’s going to be back soon, likely by opening day. Donger’s best chance is probably for either Gillaspie to turn back into Ishikawa or Hill to prove he’s got a little more *Uggla* in him than Bochy realizes. Knowing the skipper’s high tolerance for veteran suckitude, it’s likely both of them could tread water well into June before The Donger could get an eventual call.

Just don’t leave him in Sac-town for too long or this could happen:

1. willedav said, on March 26, 2017 at 8:44 am

Well, I think 1b would be his best shot. With Hundley around, Giants can let Posey have a rest day if they sit Belt vs. LHP, tho he does just fine against most of them not named Opie. So depending on what happens with Morse, who Schulman too thought was in line to make the team, I could see Hwang as RH pop off bench and 1b.

Most teams live and die with best players, and Kansas best guys were off and in foul trouble, while Oregon took it right to them. Kansas won their league (for 13 straight time no less), which features very good teams like Iowa St West Va and Baylor. I’m not big on Self, but his team got beat by someone who played better…just like Nova UCLA and AZ did. Pac 12 imo didn’t deserve any more teams than who got in and SC did fine.

Looking forward to Kentucky Carolina match up.

• xoot said, on March 26, 2017 at 12:39 pm

I’m concerned about Bam Abemayo, zero ORs v UCLA and career high five assists becz he couldn’t take the ball to the basket and had to pass to Fox et al. Maybe he’ll show up in a faster paced game.

2. willedav said, on March 26, 2017 at 9:11 am

Kind of interesting that of the guys who have had good springs, most can play 3b, while Nunez is hurt and hasn’t played all that much. Beside Gillaspie and Hill and Hwang of course is Arroyo waiting in the wings. Should Nunez be slow to come around, look out.

I’m also interested to see what happens to Marrero. Great ST with a lot of pop…is it sustainable or not? And where can he play that he’d be able to help the SF Giants at ml level?

3. Macdog said, on March 26, 2017 at 10:23 am

Nunez leading off today — as the DH.

4. snarkk said, on March 26, 2017 at 10:39 am

Hard for me to fathom that Morse was about to make this team. I’m all for HR power, but seriously, I said earlier if he made the team that meant the OF would be in trouble. I still believe that. I think this outfield as constituted (Parker, Pence and Graybeard) is fair at best, and a short trip from Sucktown. Sure, keep Marrero for some younger pop, but the guy has a suspect glove out there. If he makes it, likely he’ll prove sooner than later that he’s not a great idea. When Gorkys Hernandez is a bright spot, that means your OF is one injury away from dogmeat…

• chipower9 said, on March 26, 2017 at 1:43 pm

You nailed it Snarkk, but of no better 5th OF positions exist, start the season with him, and maybe he pulls a Justin Maxwell for a couple of months, which gets them closer to the trade deadline.

5. Flavor said, on March 26, 2017 at 10:42 am

Bonds fiddling around, knocking out batting practice bombs….

• snarkk said, on March 26, 2017 at 11:30 am

Put Bonds back in LF ! …

• Flavor said, on March 26, 2017 at 11:36 am

I seriously think that if you put Barry on the bench and he got back into baseball shape he could probably hit 10-12 bombs playing part time. That’ll probably be good for 4th or so on our team this year.

• chipower9 said, on March 26, 2017 at 1:45 pm

He has supposedly been heavy into some bicycle sports…so hell, he may have some pretty decent wheels, too!

6. alleykat69 said, on March 26, 2017 at 11:53 am

Not sure if Bochy will allow a recliner in the dugout like they did for him in the clubhouse.
    Pretty sad times with are Outfield situation, when the flap wants Bonds Back at 52, though I would give him the nod over Morse easily enough…

7. willedav said, on March 26, 2017 at 12:10 pm

7 guys hit double figure HRs last year for SF. I think there are at least 8 maybe 9 that do it this year (and no way 10 is 4th best, absolutely) but if they hit better for avg and get on base more it will make a lot more difference for how many runs they score.
    It seems bench is assured to have much more pop too.

Last year was explosion of bombs. I think this is a one off. Look for a bounce back closer to previous years. . Pitchers will react and throw more up in the zone. giants have hit similar amount of HRs for last 3 yrs (difference of only 6), including 2014 when they won it all. Lot more factors going to make a difference in their success or fail than just HRs.

• chipower9 said, on March 26, 2017 at 1:47 pm

Bench is definitely stronger this year with more power options than room on the bench.

8. willedav said, on March 26, 2017 at 12:19 pm

I still think giants will hit closer to 150 HRs. Pence and Panik will add 5 each just by playing more, and I think Belt Posey Craw can hit 5 more each too. Add in Parker, who I think can hit 15 if he stays in LU, plus whomever is on bench plus Hundley (Hill/Mac yada yada), doable.

9. unca_chuck said, on March 26, 2017 at 12:57 pm

Coupes things about this thread that freak me out.

I stumbled across MASH on the hinterlands of directv. The episode where Honeycutt organizes a reunion for their family back home to meet each other. I hadn’t seeen an episode of MASH in 35 years.

At about 2 am I couldn’t sleep so I turned on the tv and there was 16 candles so I watched it for a little while.

Freaky that both of those come up in the thread.

Go Zags!

• chipower9 said, on March 26, 2017 at 1:48 pm

Yep….I’m pulling for those Dawgs!

10. unca_chuck said, on March 26, 2017 at 12:58 pm

Yeah I’m glad Morse fell off the map. He and Rollins have had their run. Let someone else have their time. Hwanger sounds good. And Merrero. If they are willing to fill the bench with old shit, they can take a shot with those guys.

• snarkk said, on March 26, 2017 at 1:06 pm

Rollins is still in the mix, in fact, starting today, which scares me.
      The guy is hitting under .100 for the entire spring, worse than a pitcher. How is he possibly better than Specs? I don’t get that at all, even with the understanding of the Saran Wrap veteran love Bochy has. The Mendoza line is .200. What is the .100 line — the “Done As A Major Leaguer” line?…

• chipower9 said, on March 26, 2017 at 1:50 pm

I unfortunately agree re: Rollins. Schumann said if Rollins was hitting anywhere around .200 he would probably be a lock. Not for me…time to put his ass to pasture…

11. chipower9 said, on March 26, 2017 at 1:36 pm

Craig’s boy Nunie with the two-run knock…I have NO fucking idea who some of the guys playing today are…

12. chipower9 said, on March 26, 2017 at 1:39 pm

LMAO re: today’s thread…very good one, Flav.

13. snarkk said, on March 26, 2017 at 2:09 pm

Base knock up the middle for Specs. How many hits does Rollins have this Spring — 3 for 36 = .083…

14. Flavor said, on March 26, 2017 at 2:10 pm

Today is the last Sun without real baseball till October.

• chipower9 said, on March 26, 2017 at 2:56 pm

That is a beautiful thing…let’s “Play Ball!”

15. snarkk said, on March 26, 2017 at 2:29 pm

Rollins’ ears were burning. He hit a double, then got thrown out trying to leg it into a triple. Jacked his BA to a robust .108…

• chipower9 said, on March 26, 2017 at 2:57 pm

He’s so fucking done. I will be PISSED if he makes the 25. Go hit your rocking chair grandpa…

16. zumiee said, on March 26, 2017 at 3:33 pm

The Donger bangs a double!
    Or words to that effect.

17. chipower9 said, on March 26, 2017 at 3:35 pm

Seeing Graham Nash tonight in Grass Valley at the old Veterans’ Memorial building. Great venue. Last saw Nash with CSN at The Greek in Berkeley in ’82. Fuck…that was thirty fucking five years ago. Time flies when you’re having fun…

• zumiee said, on March 26, 2017 at 3:39 pm

Have fun! That’s a cool concert to see. Nash has been a class act the whole way in his career, and a top-notch singer/songwriter, to boot.

18. zumiee said, on March 26, 2017 at 3:36 pm

The Donger is out trying to steal third as the ump blows the call. I can’t wait for replay to start.

19. willedav said, on March 26, 2017 at 4:04 pm

nice little run there by UK to go up 5, fox and monk (jeez 6 points only) getting a lot of help. Pls, hold the heels off for another 5 minutes!

• Macdog said, on March 26, 2017 at 4:19 pm

Heels at times look like they’re either lost or just don’t care, but they’ve found enough resolve to rally in final 5 minutes. Still not a well-played game between these two heavyweights.

20. willedav said, on March 26, 2017 at 4:15 pm

dang it 10-0 run. Fox switches off Berry on high screen and he drives and scores on big. Go under it and stay with him!

21. Macdog said, on March 26, 2017 at 4:24 pm

Ok, that was a heckava finish.

22. zumiee said, on March 26, 2017 at 4:30 pm

The Evil Empire defeated the other Evil Empire.

23. Macdog said, on March 26, 2017 at 4:31 pm

Maye Madness!

• Flavor said, on March 26, 2017 at 4:56 pm

i re-tweeted you on twitter. This was gold.

24. chipower9 said, on March 26, 2017 at 4:52 pm

Ramirez and Okert cough it up late ahead of a no-name line-up. Just be done with this shit already and play some real fucking baseball…

• Macdog said, on March 26, 2017 at 5:01 pm

But a solid start by Blach, that’s the big takeaway today.

• willedav said, on March 26, 2017 at 5:44 pm

makes you wonder when his next one is.

25. snarkk said, on March 26, 2017 at 5:19 pm

Other than Melancon, looks to me that heading into season, the Pen still has a good shot at being a mess. If you’re not ahead in the 9th, a good closer is worthless…

• djloo27 said, on March 26, 2017 at 7:09 pm

Very much agree despite my high hopes for hillbilly Okert who really needs to step up without the Fresh Wince.
      How’s Strickland looking?

26. djloo27 said, on March 26, 2017 at 6:47 pm

I have a beer with breakfast almost every day now. Highly recommend.
    The great old trainer Woody Stephens did, too…

• Flavor said, on March 26, 2017 at 8:09 pm

i quit drinking back in Nov. I feel much better in the mornings. I shouldn’t say “quit”. Stopped? Paused?

• djloo27 said, on March 26, 2017 at 8:27 pm

I’ve cooled it too as far as the late nights go – I’m old and it’s great to wake up and not vomit.
        But there’s something about heading out in the morning just a little touch loose…

27. willedav said, on March 26, 2017 at 7:20 pm

Wasn’t easy at all but warriors outran Memphis eventually. great night from Iguodala, and they are going to need him at both ends in playoffs. Memphis is not a team Warriors want to see again. Most of night Conley lit Curry up, shooting Js right over him and their inside game is really tough.

28. zumiee said, on March 26, 2017 at 9:08 pm

The Sac Kings made an amazing comeback in the last 5 minutes to defeat the Clippers.
    “Teams leading by at least 18 points in the final 5 minutes WERE 359-0 this season, until today.”

• djloo27 said, on March 26, 2017 at 9:34 pm

One of the greatest things I ever heard was back in 1972 – Marv Albert in his prime on the radio.
      Knicks down 86-68 to Jabbar, Oscar and the Bucks with about 5:00 left. Scored the last 19 to pull it out.
      This is most of it (not the radio call):

29. zumiee said, on March 26, 2017 at 9:10 pm

And tonight’s episode of “Feud: Bette and Joan” was outstanding.

30. djloo27 said, on March 26, 2017 at 9:54 pm

Anyone hear from Blade?

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on March 26, 2017 at 10:07 pm

Yeah, he was up in his wife’s hometown for awhile, taking care of business, and now he’s back in Saigon looking for a new apartment for his new instant family of wife, little boy, Grandma, and preparing for the baby. I still haven’t even seen him since he came back, both of us too busy, but he’s alive and kicking ….

• djloo27 said, on March 27, 2017 at 4:59 am

Thanks, Paul. Send best if you get a chance…