This Year’s Phenom

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on March 31, 2017

I’m trying to rev up for the Chris Marrero train, really I am. But I can’t tell if I’m rooting for him because left field is such a wasteland or I really think he could do something at the mlb level if only given the chance. Grant Brisbee at McCovey Chronicles dulled my buzz when he detailed the 7 pitchers C-Marr has bombed this spring. I won’t reprint their names as it would be waste of pixel space. And my advice is not to look up his splits in the minors, they are uninspiring. He’s only appeared at the mlb level in 2 seasons, 2011 and 2013.

That was a long time ago…..

But still, Jarrett Parker is, well, JARRETT PARKER. I didn’t realize how much his first name bothered me until just now. Anyway, the point is that Marrero doesn’t have a lot blocking him for a start or two a week against lefties. Or righties. Would it really matter?

I wonder if any of the Giants beat writers contacted Randy Elliott this spring just to get his take on Chris Marrero.

______________________________________-

Xoot sent this too me. Not sure why he would want the venue changed. Wouldn’t you think he’d have a better shot at sympathy from a jury in his hometown?

Screenshot 2017-03-31 at 4.54.40 PM

1. willedav said, on March 31, 2017 at 7:47 am

Brisbee, ugh. No one else looked as good as Marrero in ST against I don’t care who, and he looked dang good last night—loud foul down LF line, line shot into RF corner for Giants firs hit. Played OF just fine. Guy deserves a shot, unless Brisbee would rather see Morse out there.

4 single rally, started off by Belt and finished by nicely done opposite field sac fly from Panik produced 3 runs, more than enough for Cueto and his boys. All done in a crisp 2 and a half hours! Baseball as it should be at ATT.

• Flavor said, on March 31, 2017 at 7:51 am

quick clean 9th contributed to that time. We have forgotten what that’s like.

• willedav said, on March 31, 2017 at 8:30 am

definitely, and duly noted by K and K.
        Just for fun I pulled up Cameo “word up” on youtube the other night. Great vid, awesome tune.

2. chipower9 said, on March 31, 2017 at 8:06 am

Agree with WillieD…Brisbee? Dude can go piss up a rope…

Last night was the first time this spring I have “seen” Marrero play. He had a really nice shoestring catch in LF, and also mentioned by WillieD, a loud foul ball down the line. And I have seen Marrero’s splits (I looked them up early in ST as I was not that familiar with the dude). I still think he is the best option given what Evans has provided.

There was chatter that Morse would have made the club sans his hammy pull. Not in my book (or course, my shit doesn’t matter in relation to Bochy and crew). Marrero looks much better in the OF than Morse. Have not seen him play 1B, but the dude has earned a shot.

Clean game, and besides the conga line (I know some of you guys hate that term) I was impressed with the pitching. Cueto a busiess-like outing, and more importantly, three relievers put up zeros (no hits, too) to get the ball to Melancon, who was also very business-like in the 9th.

I am ready to see what this team can do when they count. Giddy the fuck up and let’s Play Ball!

A week from Monday is the home opener. Sarge – you ready for that cold one on me, brother?

3. xoot said, on March 31, 2017 at 8:09 am

Krukow noted that Marreros hrs were all late inning bombs, as if that made them heroic. Not in ST, Kruk. But he did look ok in LF, didn’t he?

• willedav said, on March 31, 2017 at 8:23 am

One misdirected throw to wrong base, which I’m sure was pointed out from bench.
      thing is, guy like this doesn’t have a lot of rope—if he sucks in ST he’s back to Sac riding buses through the valley. He’s got to show FO he can do some things to help the team, which he did. Is it sustainable in reg season? why not find out?

• chipower9 said, on March 31, 2017 at 8:43 am

Agree on all counts Mike and Willie.

• xoot said, on March 31, 2017 at 8:49 am

Good story if he does well.

4. chipower9 said, on March 31, 2017 at 8:46 am

The other guy who has quietly impressed me is Span. The dude has looked pretty good in the field and running the bases. And his hitting has certainly improved (hitting almost .330 with an 800+ OPS). And he damned near hit one out to CF last night.

I truly hope he proves the pundits wrong. We need him to be the guy we thought he was when he was signed.

5. snarkk said, on March 31, 2017 at 8:48 am

This outfield is scary. Giants had an entire offseason to fix it, and it’s now as uncertain as on Nov 1. This is what happens whe you have 20 years of bupkus in OFers from your minor leagues…

• unca_chuck said, on March 31, 2017 at 10:15 am

Actually it isn’t. They SHOULD have done more and chose not to. No idea why other than their usual strategy of stocking up at the trade deadline. Maybe mccutcheon will be available in July.

6. xoot said, on March 31, 2017 at 12:21 pm

The federal court in Minnesota moved Stix’s trial to the courthouse in Duluth, because it’s closer to witnesses, family, etc. TRIAL IS SET TO BEGIN AT 9 A.M., JUNE 26, 2017.

7. alleykat69 said, on March 31, 2017 at 12:46 pm

How many witnesses do we have to bribe are rub out?

• Macdog said, on March 31, 2017 at 1:42 pm

Maybe ask Putin?

8. gianthead said, on March 31, 2017 at 4:46 pm

Bring on some baseball. After a long week at work (we were about 70 yards away from the gunfire on Capitol Hill Wed with my boss in his motorcade…freaked us out…nothing like federal agents yelling “shots fired shots fired” from the front seat and not knowing who is firing) so need some golf and baseball this weekend!!!

• gianthead said, on March 31, 2017 at 4:47 pm

And interesting to see JD Martinez is the one starting the season injured.

9. xoot said, on March 31, 2017 at 5:16 pm

He got the venue changed from Minneapolis to Duluth, which is closer to his home. Sorry I didn’t explain that.

• Flavor said, on March 31, 2017 at 5:42 pm

actually it looks like you did, I didn’t read your comment till after I posted the image. So in theory if it’s closer to his home town he might have a better chance of finding a sympathetic jury? Or is that not how it works? My experience with the legal system is limited.

10. xoot said, on March 31, 2017 at 6:45 pm

Stix got locked up originally in his local jail and the local prosecutor charged him with attempted murder etc. Then the feds indicted him for federal crimes and insisted that their case should go forward first. The main Minn federal court is in Minneapolis so they moved him to a jail down there. According to briefs his lawyer has filed the food and medical care in that jail are terrible. A move to Duluth might be good for a lot of reasons.

I suspect the jury pool for a federal trial in Duluth will be a lot better for our guy than the pool in Minneapolis-st Paul. Stix himself once posted something on the Flap about Duluth and Bob Dylan, I think.

11. Flavor said, on March 31, 2017 at 6:55 pm

Xoot, my hat is off to you. That is some Loo-like blog knowledge. Here’s the post you referenced:

stixwiz said, on March 28, 2014 at 10:10 am (Edit)
    Dylan was born in Duluth, probably within yards of Highway 61. It has long struck me that the “God said to Abraham, kill me a son” line was referent to his own Bris. Zimmerman in ’65 was the kinda guy who would have questioned even that foundational aspect of Jewish culture. Also on the Highway 61 album appears what i consider to be the greatest single English language poem of the 20th Century, “Desolation Row”. It may have been a bit easier for me to understand than for most folks as i spent that summer of ’65 hanging out in the Village and thus was able to catch many of the nuances which slip past most listeners without that cultural baggage. At a later date the late, great Lou Rawls captured something of the same essence of the NYC scene of that era which, in some senses, was a precursor to SF’s Summer of Love in his “Walk on the Wild Side”.

• djloo27 said, on March 31, 2017 at 8:28 pm

I wonder if we’ll ever hear Stix’ side of the story…

• xoot said, on March 31, 2017 at 8:55 pm

In briefs to the court, his current lawyers have included some hints of Stix’s pov during the four-sweep chopper buzz on his home. I don’t see how he makes his case without testifying about that moment, and anyone who watches tv knows how perilous such an approach to defense can be. As I mentioned to Chuck M in an email some time back, I think Stix’s federal public defenders have been doing a good job, making the best arguments they can, making the record for appeal, etc. Their written work has been a helluva lot better than the government’s; but the government seems to believe it has this case in the bag. They’ve managed without much effort to defeat all of Stix’s attempts to suppress evidence or get released pending trial. I hope Stix’s lawyers continue to fight like hell through trial. Maybe they’ll catch the government guys flatfooted in front of a sympathetic north country jury.

• chipower9 said, on March 31, 2017 at 9:06 pm

Loo – I have heard it (Stix’s side of the story) to some degree via his letters, but I am sure there is more.

Great explanation of the situation, Mike. I appreciate you keeping us looped-in on the proceedings.

12. unca_chuck said, on March 31, 2017 at 7:30 pm

… ooops

• xoot said, on March 31, 2017 at 7:54 pm

I think he fixed the Lou Reed slip up. (Ever hear Lou Reed (Cow Tipping)? Great song.

• unca_chuck said, on March 31, 2017 at 8:40 pm

Nope. Can’t even find it.

• xoot said, on March 31, 2017 at 8:43 pm

the little willies

13. djloo27 said, on March 31, 2017 at 8:19 pm

Other than his family, I guess few people noticed the recent passing of Bill Hands. I will go to the grave believing that the trade of Hands and Hundley to the Cubs in Dec. ’65 cost us a pennant or two. Even as a kid I knew that trade sucked…

• Macdog said, on March 31, 2017 at 9:05 pm

From Rutherford, NJ.

14. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on March 31, 2017 at 8:29 pm

The above shown court order lists the defendant as “Cartsie”. His name is actually spelled Carstie. I’m no lawyer, but if I’m Stix, I’m looking for getting off on a technicality. “Hey, that’s not me!”….

• djloo27 said, on March 31, 2017 at 8:31 pm

Might only work on parking tickets…

15. unca_chuck said, on March 31, 2017 at 8:44 pm

Looks like we can get the transcripts at some point, Loo.

Think Stix will testify, Xoot? I’d think not, but maybe he’d resonate with the jury.

• xoot said, on March 31, 2017 at 9:52 pm

Transcripts are expensive. The court reporters have to earn a living The other stuff, written by lawyers or the court, is ten cents a page. It’s already been paid for, at a premium As to his testimony I don’t know, I’m no criminal lawyer. But see my post above.

• djloo27 said, on March 31, 2017 at 10:01 pm

Manson and OJ both didn’t…

• xoot said, on March 31, 2017 at 10:35 pm

yet OJ did try to try on the glove that didn’t fit.

• unca_chuck said, on March 31, 2017 at 10:54 pm

Biggest bungle in court history since putting Patty Hearst on the stand.

16. pawliekokonuts said, on March 31, 2017 at 8:44 pm

I’ve watched C-Marr and his brother Deven play in Syracuse. Can’t recall one at-bat or put-out by either. I must’ve been fixated on Manny Burriss. (Randy Elliott, indeed.)

17. wilcojoe said, on March 31, 2017 at 8:45 pm

I once got out of a “failing to yield right of way to an emergency vehicle” charge when I was in college, because the hick cop spellled my first name Joesph.

18. pawliekokonuts said, on March 31, 2017 at 8:46 pm

I thought Dylan was born in Hibbing.

• xoot said, on March 31, 2017 at 9:02 pm

born in Duluth, relocated to Hibbing as a kid after some sort of family disaster. There’s a town named Rollingstone just off Highway 61 in Minn.

19. pawliekokonuts said, on March 31, 2017 at 8:47 pm

Lou Rawls. Lou Reed. Whatevs.

20. pawliekokonuts said, on March 31, 2017 at 8:49 pm

I drove 430 miles round trip and sold two books. But they were dedicated Giants fans in Warwick, NY. Hey, they know people who know people.

21. alleykat69 said, on March 31, 2017 at 8:51 pm

Bummer about Bill Hands Loo,
    Didn’t hear about his death, thanks for that post!
    Always liked him, good pitcher, think he won 20games one year for the Cubs? In the Giants system at his start I believe?
    When I was a kid, well I still act like one,one of my games I had at home was Milton Bradley “Hands Down” it just reminded me of Bill Hands for some goofy reason..

• djloo27 said, on March 31, 2017 at 9:08 pm

I had “Hands Down” and it reminded me of him, too.
      We should live together…

• alleykat69 said, on March 31, 2017 at 9:32 pm

Gee Loo,
        It’s a bromance moment !
        Like Bill Bixby as Eddie’s Father, “You can be my best friend”
        How about we play “Battling Tops”,Some “Skittle Bowl”, and then to hallucinate some with killer fumes involved “Creepy Crawlers” the toy game that killed a lot kids brain cells and had parents wondering why the fire truck was coming to the house as the toxic fumes bellow out your window!!

• djloo27 said, on March 31, 2017 at 9:45 pm

Absolutely, then head out and skink it up big time. I’m on a little binge. Probably get ejected from Citifield in May. Long overdue…

22. willedav said, on March 31, 2017 at 8:52 pm

UConn down a point with a minute as Miss St gal knocks down a 3.

• Macdog said, on March 31, 2017 at 9:00 pm

Mississippi State offense seems to be have PG dribble until final seconds of shot clock and then panic.

• willedav said, on March 31, 2017 at 9:19 pm

didn’t like it all but check out the last one which will be on every sports channel.

23. unca_chuck said, on March 31, 2017 at 9:08 pm

As bad as Javalle McGee played the other day, he’s playing great ball tonight.

24. willedav said, on March 31, 2017 at 9:18 pm

wow buzzer beater in OT and Geno’s streak is ova. Dumb mistake on previous possession, needless turnover when they had ball for last shot and Miss St. wins.

• Macdog said, on March 31, 2017 at 9:31 pm

Great finish, and some justice after that horrendous flagrant call.

25. alleykat69 said, on March 31, 2017 at 9:21 pm

Mississippi St!!!!!
    Takes down UConn !!
    Deserved this one too!!Great Buzzer Beater to knock that 111 game winning streak into the toilet..

• djloo27 said, on March 31, 2017 at 9:24 pm

Good. Not that i give a fuck, but I’m fuckin’ sick of hearing about ’em…

26. willedav said, on March 31, 2017 at 9:32 pm

Meanwhile the A’s have 2 hits and just as many runs as last night thru 7 off Giants pitching.
    Smardz looked pretty good, Strick in there now.
    Really miss the speed # on the stat widget to top left of screen. Hope that ain’t permanent–who gives an F about pitch count?

• unca_chuck said, on March 31, 2017 at 9:34 pm

For some reason they don;t track MPH in preseason games or some shit.

• unca_chuck said, on March 31, 2017 at 9:35 pm

The fuckin’ aaa’s are basically a AAA team, amirite?

27. alleykat69 said, on March 31, 2017 at 9:43 pm

AAA team A’s Chuck still whipped Strickland’s ass to tie it up! Maybe gas can Stick should be a triple A dude as well at times..

• snarkk said, on March 31, 2017 at 9:51 pm

Gmen’s Pen certainly is no lock down Pen going into the season. Strick has had long enough to get rid of his muscle head approach. Dude needs to produce. Losing Smith hurts a lot…

• djloo27 said, on March 31, 2017 at 10:08 pm

Snarkk is right about the pen and especially Strickland who’s had enough time to figure it out,,,

28. unca_chuck said, on March 31, 2017 at 10:00 pm

Regardless of Strick’s fuckups, who’s calling the pitches?

Law isn’t restoring order either . . .

29. unca_chuck said, on March 31, 2017 at 10:06 pm

Wow! Nice play to end the game.

30. alleykat69 said, on March 31, 2017 at 10:07 pm

Well whether FedEx ,Boch,Rags,are the dumbass pitcher making the call their not exciting!! Oh but Crawdaddy just saved their bacon 🥓 for the W..Nice play,…

31. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on March 31, 2017 at 10:09 pm

More than any other position on the Giants, Bochy needs a good pen, that’s when he seems masterful. If they pick right up where they left off against the Cubs, Brucie ain’t gonna have any more hair left on that big head of his. Strickland sucks, been patient with him far too long. Yeah, the Smith injury looks like it could hurt if they don’t make an early season move to add to the pen….

32. willedav said, on March 31, 2017 at 10:17 pm

check out Flav’s 7:51 from this morning. A “quick clean ninth” it definitely was not tonite.

33. snarkk said, on March 31, 2017 at 10:38 pm

Osich optioned to Sac.
    Specs, too…

34. unca_chuck said, on March 31, 2017 at 10:55 pm

Ahhhh when will they learn with Tomlinson?

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on March 31, 2017 at 10:57 pm

Probably when a) there are no more “vets” ahead of him, and b) when he runs out of options…. He’ll be back, probably sooner than later…. Specs and Hwang, waiting in the wings….

35. snarkk said, on March 31, 2017 at 11:03 pm

I’m reading the judge’s order to change venue.
    Cartsie? I thought it was Carstie. Am I dyslexic, or is the clerk?…

36. willedav said, on April 1, 2017 at 7:18 am

Didn’t think about this til 4 AM, but the auto intentional walk to Craw screwed Giants out of a couple chances to score with runner on 3b. If the pitcher had to throw 4 wide ones, you have either possibility of a wild pitch, passed ball, a balk or even a steal of home. Not having to throw any pitches at all becomes great benefit to the team in the field, which is BS.