Cain Can? Or Cain Can’t?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 1, 2017

SF returns to the cool confines of Fog Park and that suites Smarge just fine as he throw 5 scoreless. That showing is giving me the slightest hope for Matt Cain that maybe he’s not completely done as a major league pitcher. Maybe the Salt Lake City Bees aren’t yet in his future. The #1 point is that we’re talking about a #5 pitcher and expectations should reflect that. In addition, Cain has always been pretty bad in the spring. Maybe the weather change sparks something that allows him to cobble together a season that doesn’t make us all puke? For 21 mil I’d expect a little more but apparently 21 mil doesn’t buy what it used to.

At least we have a back up plan in Ty Blach.

1. alleykat69 said, on April 1, 2017 at 7:56 am

Rollins can? Rollins can’t! just released..

2. willedav said, on April 1, 2017 at 8:13 am

Given circumstances that Evans stopped spending after Melancon, seems like best 25 with Hill Marrero Gameface Gorkys Hundley off bench. Giants have some depth at AAA with Mac Specs Hwang plus Arroyo and others—these guys can play everyday and work on fielding a position that can add value to big club.

3. snarkk said, on April 1, 2017 at 8:25 am

IMO this club, as constituted, is at best a wild card competitor. LA should be favored again to win division. Weak ass outfield and suspect Pen other than closer…

4. willedav said, on April 1, 2017 at 8:52 am

I think SF can hang with LA just fine. Dodgers are suspect in LF too, and if Pence has enough left to be steady everyday .800 OPS with pop RF he should be better than Puig or his replacement. On the IF Giants are just as good if not better everywhere except 3b, and Posey tops everyone behind the plate.

Dodger rotation has its share of ? marks behind Opie with injury hist of Hill and Ryu, Moore I think will help SF more than Maeda will LA.

Most of the ratings and projections skew heavy toward LA because of the dominance of Opie and Jansen who outweigh everyone else at their positions. See what happens behind them and just like SF they have to get to their closer for him to be effective. Bottom line I don’t think LA is all they are expected to be and anyway them winning the division hasn’t done them much good beyond first of October.

Let’s go Karnak the Magnificent, as Johnny Carson holds up the envelope and says, “Who is Ronald Reagan”?

5. willedav said, on April 1, 2017 at 9:08 am

Chron column shows Giants opening day LFs since Bonds 2007: Dave Roberts, Fred, deRosa, Burrell, Huff, Andres, Morse, Aoki and Pagan last year. Ouch.

6. zumiee said, on April 1, 2017 at 9:40 am

Well, I wish I shared Willie’s confidence that the Giants can stay with the Dodgers for the division title race this season. I see the only chance of that being if the Dodgers get racked with injuries to some key guys, again, like last year. Which is certainly possible. Some of their key players are pretty old.
    The Dodgers open against the Padres, so that should be a good start for the Dodgers. Kershaw vs. Chacin in the opener. Yikes.

7. zumiee said, on April 1, 2017 at 9:46 am

The Giants owners decided the luxury tax threshold would be treated as a salary cap, and that was that for more big transactions for this past off-season. The fans may have expected a bigger “dividend” for buying all of those tickets, beer, garlic fries, Cha Cha Bowls, hats, jerseys, and foam fingers.

8. Flavor said, on April 1, 2017 at 11:02 am

The Giants are in the same damn place they always are to begin the season. Absolutely no one can get hurt and everyone has to have a career year…..

9. alleykat69 said, on April 1, 2017 at 11:21 am

Damm Right BF!!!
    Melancon should be solid getting him in with the lead is the biggest challenge. Who’s the 8 th inning guy? Law? Cause Gas Can Strick won’t be.. Then the lefty? Okert? Not Osich? Blach? Long man ??? Fuck who I’m I forgetting that can get some outs???

10. Irish Kevin said, on April 1, 2017 at 12:49 pm

Such optimism here, I can hardly stand it, sounds to me like everyone here thinks the team is half empty not half full. I still hold that 162 games and is just too long to be deciding where the Giants will be based on April. I believe the Dodgers have won the division 5 years in a row??? And how many WS have they been to? Please someone remind me. Anyway I am on board for an awesome year. Go Giants. Yeah you all can call me a homer.

11. Flavor said, on April 1, 2017 at 1:12 pm

Hundley with a grand slam. It’s nice to FINALLY have a back up catcher that is at a min major league caliber.

12. Flavor said, on April 1, 2017 at 1:15 pm

Optimism comes in different forms, Kev. I will look for the positive and get behind it if it’s there. I think the team, as constructed, is fine and could win a WS this year—if everyone stays healthy and has a career year. Unlikely. Sure, we could add on at the break but I reserve giving an opinion about something that hasn’t happened yet. I am definitely not into blind optimism though, never have been never will be.

• Irish Kevin said, on April 1, 2017 at 1:49 pm

Well I have seen all the really bad teams the Giants have had and over th last 8-10 years the Giants have been really good. Not going to the WS every year does not constitute a bad team. A team needs to stay healthy and have the ability to bring in good players when a starter goes down. I think the Giants have been fairly good at that. We shall see what this team has starting tomorrow!! ⚾️ ⚾️ ⚾️

13. Flavor said, on April 1, 2017 at 3:23 pm

Ty Blach is the only lefty in the BP to start the season. Wut.

14. unca_chuck said, on April 1, 2017 at 4:03 pm

Ocrap and Oshit both went down?

• djloo27 said, on April 1, 2017 at 4:36 pm

• zumiee said, on April 1, 2017 at 4:38 pm

Hmmm…..I’ll have to ponder the connection…..

• Flavor said, on April 1, 2017 at 8:17 pm

she was not very attractive, was she.

15. snarkk said, on April 1, 2017 at 4:18 pm

IMO they should have kept Okert, he did well. Blach should go to Sac to keep stretched out for the inevitable callup when Cain blows up and has to go onto DL w some phantom injury. …

16. zumiee said, on April 1, 2017 at 4:36 pm

I’m not all that negative about the Giants this season; I just think the Dodgers look really primed this season to make a very strong run at a ring. Their batting order is dangerous top to bottom, and their pitching is solid overall (if it stays healthy.) Their bench depth and organizational depth is strong.
    That doesn’t mean they’ll do jack in the playoffs, but they might figure out something sooner or later. Maybe they make a deal for a dominant starting pitcher in July to team up with Kershaw.
    The Giants can get there via the Wild Card, and then who knows? We’ve made that work before, and darned near did it last year.
    For me, I just don’t want to grind about the Dodgers all season. This is their window right now, and we’ll see what they do with it.
    In a worst case scenario, if the Dodgers win the World Series this year, they at least kill Cub-mania for a while. I’m getting tired of the media’s never-ending Cub-gasm.
    The Cub fans themselves aren’t all like that. A lot of them aren’t obnoxious. It’s more so the media than the fans.

17. gianthead said, on April 1, 2017 at 4:39 pm

I don’t understand how you go one lefty in the bullpen and it is the guy who should be the 5th starter…who is smoking the crack????

• snarkk said, on April 1, 2017 at 4:45 pm

Agree 100%…

18. Flavor said, on April 1, 2017 at 5:00 pm

about the only good thing I can think of with only 1 LH pitcher in the pen is that it will stop Bochy from all his mixing and matching bullshit.

• Macdog said, on April 1, 2017 at 5:12 pm

There is that.

19. zumiee said, on April 1, 2017 at 5:04 pm

The Giants are super high now on Ramirez, and he’s getting the spot that would have gone to a lefty.
    If Cain gets the predicted phantom injury, a lefty can be brought up.

• zumiee said, on April 1, 2017 at 5:06 pm

A guy like Kontos is just a guy. I don’t see him having big value.

• zumiee said, on April 1, 2017 at 5:08 pm

I don’t like Blach being kind of jerked around. That bothers me. But, hey, he’s a major leaguer, and that’s thrilling for him, and he’ll do what he can to help the team win.

20. Flavor said, on April 1, 2017 at 5:14 pm

years ago, at least when I was a kid, young prospect pitchers were often called up to go to the pen first, start later. At least that’s how I remember it.

21. Macdog said, on April 1, 2017 at 5:21 pm

Zags to the final!

22. James said, on April 1, 2017 at 5:49 pm

I see everyone else is also primed for another 86 win season.

• Flavor said, on April 1, 2017 at 6:12 pm

tell your wife not to worry too much about the furniture, it should remain spotless clean this year…..

23. sandog said, on April 1, 2017 at 6:45 pm

Oshit
    Ocrap
    Ono

Get it? HeeHee

I think Dodgers are the team to beat as well. To me, the one possible weak link for them is starting pitching beyond Kershaw. And I’m still thankful they no longer have Greinke. Bugs the hell out of me that they signed Franklin Gutierrez and we did nothing like that to bolster our crap outfield.

Not digging latest Direct TV commercials. Hangover dude creeps me out. Bring back Arts and Crafty Tony Romo!

Go Ducks! Happy for Zags and hoping they get it done Monday and bring a national title to the WCC and strike a blow for the lesser known conferences.

24. Flavor said, on April 1, 2017 at 6:47 pm

pfffttttt, I’ve been sitting here for hours trying to parse out the hidden meaning from Loo’s Ono post and San Diggity has to explain it to me. Thanks. Now what will I do with the rest of my night?

25. unca_chuck said, on April 1, 2017 at 7:40 pm

Zumie, it’s Oshit, Ocrap, and Ono!!!

26. unca_chuck said, on April 1, 2017 at 7:41 pm

Shit! I hate it when I jump ahead and post something then read back and . . .

doh!

27. snarkk said, on April 1, 2017 at 7:45 pm

Spending evening in North Beach w Mrs. snarkk, celebrating her Bday and giants win. Viccolleto restaurant is on Green, off of touristy spots. Southern Italian with fresh pasta that is heavenly. Had linguini with Dungenes crab and lemon zest sauce, and a glass of Pinot Grigio. As good as a shut down 9th…

• gianthead said, on April 2, 2017 at 5:28 am

Mmmmmmm….im going there next trip back…

28. Flavor said, on April 1, 2017 at 7:51 pm

Where’s everyone stand on Neil Ramirez? I didn’t even know who he was which shows how much I’ve been paying attention to the spring. I just read he told the Giants that he’s opting out of his contract if he didn’t make the team. I kinda like that attitude. Dude has got his shoulder straight for once, doesn’t want to waste a healthy arm in Sacto. Let’s ride him till that arm falls off (which it probably will at some point this year)

• djloo27 said, on April 1, 2017 at 8:02 pm

I never heard his name before today. He has appeared in 87 ML games…

29. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on April 1, 2017 at 7:59 pm

Tom, your 7:45pm brings back nice memories of North Beach. Spent a lot of good eating and drinking time there in my SF years. Can’t beat fresh pasta (I still look for only fresh-made noodles over here). Also lived in Boston’s North End for years, where great Italian food was everywhere just outside my front door. Yum. And Craig, your 11:02am should be POTD for its simple truth….

• Flavor said, on April 1, 2017 at 8:16 pm

thanks but I was partial to what Unca did to the names of those 2 relievers. 🙂 Then Loo took it over the top

• djloo27 said, on April 1, 2017 at 8:22 pm

My “Ono” was sincere. I don’t understand this move at all and I was very psyched to see what Okert could do…

30. unca_chuck said, on April 1, 2017 at 8:09 pm

Apropos of nothing, how fucked up is it that they play the final four games in a goddamn football stadium? They sell seats that are a 1/4 mile from the action. Yay. What fun.

Never heard of Ramirez either.

• Macdog said, on April 1, 2017 at 8:13 pm

The last Final Four in a basketball arena was ’96 at the Meadowlands.

• unca_chuck said, on April 1, 2017 at 8:27 pm

No shit? I had no idea it has been that long.

• Flavor said, on April 1, 2017 at 8:15 pm

depth perception on shots will surely be tricky. I’d take the under in the first half (whatever it will be)

• djloo27 said, on April 1, 2017 at 8:19 pm

Big scoreboard screens have made binoculars a thing of the past, especially at the racetrack.
      I still use ’em. I don’t get people who come to the track and watch live races on the infield screen…

• Flavor said, on April 1, 2017 at 8:21 pm

or how about standing inside the building, back to track which is 50 yards away, watching it on a shitty 20 inch tv? Racetracks should do some investigation on the advancements in tv development and begin purchasing. BTW, tHere is no better place to watch a race in America than the 5th floor at Del Mar. Very few people up there to piss me off and you get a great perspective as the race unfolds into the stretch. Watching Dare and Go roll past Cigar from the 5th floor that day back in ’96, man, what a moment….

31. Macdog said, on April 1, 2017 at 8:23 pm

What a bizarre ending to UNC-Oregon.

32. Macdog said, on April 1, 2017 at 8:24 pm

And the title drought continues for the Conference of Champions.

33. unca_chuck said, on April 1, 2017 at 8:26 pm

Wow. Oregon is awful at boxing out.

34. unca_chuck said, on April 1, 2017 at 8:27 pm

I think it was about 28-6 in 2nd chance points.

35. unca_chuck said, on April 1, 2017 at 8:34 pm

We’ll go to 13 pitchers at some point soon. Say the end of the month. One of the Oboys will come on down.

36. snarkk said, on April 1, 2017 at 8:35 pm

Yeah Paul, fresh pasta is hard to beat. This place brings in trays of fresh pasta in the front door and back through to the kitchen — there’s a kitchen maybe a block away where the pasta is made for a couple of small Italian places around here and hand carries to the restaurants. When you walk back to the men’s room you pass the kitchen and see the trays of fresh linguini, tagliatelle and ravioli sitting there ready to get cooked and married with sauces. My kind of place. They do a grilled squid that is outta sight…

37. willedav said, on April 1, 2017 at 9:14 pm

My optimism is primarily based on SF having superior SPs. While none of them are Opie I like the depth of 4 200 inning guys with quality. Given their recent history Ryu and Hill btw them might not throw 200 innings and as SD mentioned not a lot behind them.
    Having dominant SPs that can go deep makes up for a lot of other potential shortcomings. It also helps to have great defense, esp on IF where there are 4 legit GG guys if you include Posey.
    Torture? bring it.

38. unca_chuck said, on April 2, 2017 at 12:47 am

Now this is funny . . . or I’m skinked . . .