Impending Doom

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 4, 2017

I was going to get up early and start worrying about which reliever will be the one to blow tonight’s lead but then I realized that Cueto hasn’t hit a home run in his entire 9 year career. Even worse, he’s lugging around a career .108 batting average.

So how in the hell are we supposed to score any runs????

I was actually surprised at how quickly Melancon fell apart on Monday. He couldn’t put the weakest of hitters away. That’s a really bad sign. And not totally surprising. What happened the last time the Giants didn’t have a closer and they panicked and went and got one? I can barely type his name…Ar…man….duh nevermind……

No worries, maybe Cueto hits 2 bombs and throws a complete game.:)

Either that or re-read the headline….

1. chipower9 said, on April 4, 2017 at 6:42 am

I am not worried about Melancon…and if he ends up being a total fucking train wreck…I will eat my words.

But WTF…Casilla gets a save for the Fucking As, and Melancon blows his first Gigante opportunity. No sweat…one of 162.

Go get ’em today.

I still predict 92 wins and a West Division title for our boys.

2. Bozo said, on April 4, 2017 at 7:26 am

Whew. Thanks, Chi.
    Reading this and other Giants blogs I’d have to say the majority of the posters think this team sucks.
    I disagree.
    When I watched the first game, I had the feeling that I was watching a team that was tuning up for another Championship run. Yeah there will be a few tweaks to the roster along the way, but this team is going to kick some ass this year and I’m going to enjoy the ride.

• chipower9 said, on April 4, 2017 at 10:34 am

Glad to know I am not the only “disillusioned one.” When it is all said and done, we will be some basking MoFos! ๐Ÿ˜‰

3. sandog said, on April 4, 2017 at 7:37 am

I’m not worried about Melancon either. I loved the signing and think he will be fine. All I’m saying is that Sunday’s loss was on him.

• chipower9 said, on April 4, 2017 at 10:42 am

Definitely. Sure, the team should have pushed another run or two across (1 out, bases juiced), but any time you hand your closer a lead in the 9th, they need to get it done.

4. willedav said, on April 4, 2017 at 8:10 am

The Padres are doomed, Giants no. All closers blow saves, just like as SD said end of last thread hitters have 0-fers. Kenley Jansen blew 6 of them last year in I don’t know how many appearances.
    I like Gomer, I like Melancon and the SPs. There’s a lot of fail in baseball, which makes it so hard to play well. It’s how you rebound and go forward. If you want to doom up, most players will provide a lot of opportunity. The best hitters are going to make outs 60 to 70% of the time they come up.

Marrero is supposed to get start tonite vs the LHP Corbin, hope he can be relaxed enough not to squeeze shavings off bat handle.

5. snarkk said, on April 4, 2017 at 8:54 am

James’ comment on Posey last night helps highlight the need for Buster to produce this year. SLG .796 and 14 HR and 80 RBIs last season isn’t good enough. Plus, fairly long periods of phhtttt at the plate. The guy is 30, not 38, he needs to produce and earn his royal coin by not just “calling a good game”…

• sandog said, on April 4, 2017 at 9:06 am

Didn’t take long for the Buster Bashing to begin. Never does.

6. unca_chuck said, on April 4, 2017 at 9:14 am

Well, Buster isn’t going 30/120 in this lifetime. Somewhere between the two is fine. 20/95 is what I’m thinking.

5 runs should be enough, however they get them.

7. zumiee said, on April 4, 2017 at 9:18 am

Well, game 1 of the season was a disheartening loss because it was just like the second half of last season.
    No one’s throwing in the towel. We all probably agree that the Giants will be at least a Wild Card team.

8. Flavor said, on April 4, 2017 at 9:26 am

I am down on Buster purely because of how much coin he makes. His production doesn’t match the coin. Otherwise, I love Buster. But a lot of guys who make 1/100th what he makes can call a good game.

• chipower9 said, on April 4, 2017 at 12:07 pm

Craig – so following your logic, we should expect Cain to win 20 games and the NL Cy Young this year, right? ๐Ÿ˜‰

9. willedav said, on April 4, 2017 at 9:42 am

Doesn’t matter to me one iota what a guy makes–it’s completely irrelevant. Everyone has a job to do regardless of what they are getting paid, at the plate and in the field. gillaspie got a SF and drove in a run in crucial situation where Posey could not, but the $$$ doesn’t have squat to do with it.
    Never understood this take, where you single guys out for how much they are getting paid…Zito sucked even if he was making $100 grand. What players make is almost completely out of their control—what they do on the field isn’t.

• Flavor said, on April 4, 2017 at 10:05 am

well, if this held true for the front office I might agree with you. But it is an issue when the high contract guys play simply because of the coin they’re making. Or do you think Cain won the #5 spot fair and square?

• willedav said, on April 4, 2017 at 10:48 am

good point.

10. willedav said, on April 4, 2017 at 9:56 am

I understand better players are expected to do more. I think one of the good things about Giants is that they do have a vet group of established players than can perform up to standards.
    But as far as value, Posey stands out. He’s the top C in the game and has consistently been a highly valued player ever since his monster season of 2012. Last year his offensive numbers slid to lowest point since then but I think this year he’s more determined and he’ll get more rest and less time at 1b and his value in terms of offensive stats and WAR will rise. I don’t he is going to play or hit like a 38 yr old.

• djloo27 said, on April 4, 2017 at 10:05 am

Not like a 38 year old Bonds, anyway…

11. alleykat69 said, on April 4, 2017 at 10:07 am

Disagree BF, He’s the best pitch framer in the game and 3 W/S Championships with him behind the dish speaks for itself..
    Shit the Cards just threw 3/60 at Yadira Molina who’s older and not nearly as productive as Buster with less rings as well.End of story!

• Flavor said, on April 4, 2017 at 10:34 am

he didn’t win those trophies by himself and I would argue that he did a hell of a lot more with the bat during those 3 title runs than he did last year at the plate. Look, I don’t dislike Buster. I just don’t jizz all over the furniture at everything he does. He could be much better at the plate. He used to be much better at the plate. And he made a lot less back then. Just an observation.

12. chipower9 said, on April 4, 2017 at 10:52 am

Hey, I think we all agree that Posey had an off-year last year. That shit is gonna happen with players…I don’t care how fucking good they are. If Buster hits 18-20 and drives in 85 or so with an OPS over .800 I’ll take that in relation to his catching. He is NOT going to carry the team. Not one guy on this club is. We need production up and down the line-up, but especially from the heart of the order. Bashing Posey is a non-starter with me…I think the dude will get ‘er done.

In general…way too fucking early to be dooming, IMO. Fuck, they have played ONE FUCKING GAME.

This team will be alright. They will make the playoffs. If they don’t, I will gladly buy each of you a beverage of choice.

13. willedav said, on April 4, 2017 at 11:41 am

Varying reports on severity of health issues/near death due to heart attack of Pedro Guerrero in the DR. Direct opposite of good field no hit, man this guy terrorized Giants in bad old days of early and mid 80s.

Now that Hanley is in the AL, Puig is only Dodger that really bothers me. I’d have taken Turner or Jansen off them in a heartbeat.

Zum mentioned how bad LA beats up on chump teams in NL West something Giants definitely have to do themselves to keep pace. Like, tonight with Cueto out there for starters.

14. zumiee said, on April 4, 2017 at 11:48 am

Sabermetrically, which includes defense, Buster is by far the best catcher in the game. The expectation is always high on offense because the Giants have to bat him clean-up. He’s probably not a true clean-up hitter, other than in ’12.

15. djloo27 said, on April 4, 2017 at 12:19 pm

The way I remember it, Buster usually pads his stats with one or two unconscious streaks per season. I don’t remember him having one last year. If he did, the 14/80 might’ve been 20/100. But I thought he was better than ever behind the plate. He seemed to be studying every batter closely before putting down the signs…

16. willedav said, on April 4, 2017 at 12:29 pm

As Loo said about Posey, lot of Giants hitters are streaky.
    I was looking at Craw stats for last year and he got off to slow start before he got rolling.
    Then had a crummy July where he hit .247, sandwiched around June and August where he hit .315 and .299
    Followed it up with not so good finish Sept/Oct, with 0 HRs in last 93 ABs.
    First half rbis 61, second half (about 100 less ABs) 23.

Might look into this some more for others last year after work/ballgame.

17. unca_chuck said, on April 4, 2017 at 1:20 pm

If Buster’s catching heat, then Pence is nearly as bad an offender at turning into a pile of useless goo. He can’t stay healthy or stop making dumb-ass videos and pronouncements.

Do it on the field, Hunter and shut the fuck up with the rest.

His last full season here was 2014 which got us 20 – 74 – .777 Nothing to write home about seeing as he’s supposed to be one of our mashers.

• djloo27 said, on April 4, 2017 at 1:30 pm

“Masher” is an old school word for a guy who hits on every woman in sight.
      I guess he ain’t that anymore either…

• chipower9 said, on April 4, 2017 at 7:46 pm

lqtm…

• chipower9 said, on April 4, 2017 at 7:51 pm

Agree Charlie. Pence is a worse offender IMO. Posey stays healthy and is the top in the game at his position. And agree, he will never be a 25/100 guy regularly, if at all. Give me around 20/80 and we’re good.

18. Macdog said, on April 4, 2017 at 2:16 pm

Pawlie will not like this:

2B Emmanuel Burriss (Syracuse-IL) suspended 50 games for violation of the Minor League Drug Prevention and Treatment Program.

19. Flavor said, on April 4, 2017 at 3:23 pm

usually after Buster takes heat at the Flap (and I don’t think he really took any heat today, he just had some guys defending him) he has a good game at the plate. So I’m looking for a bomb out of him today…..

20. James said, on April 4, 2017 at 4:21 pm

I think I suggested last year that a career arc similar to Molina’s from here on out gets Buster into the HOF as one of the best ever. That was a rare moment of Buster skepticism from me yesterday, although he *did* momentarily look like he’d struggle to get to last year’s numbers . . . which would not be cool for SF’s wildcard prospects. Yadier put up an OPS of 836 at age 30.

21. snarkk said, on April 4, 2017 at 5:11 pm

Span out.
    Hip.

22. Macdog said, on April 4, 2017 at 5:14 pm

I’m hesitant to post tonight’s lineup not just because I’m 0-1, but because of who’s batting leadoff.

• sandog said, on April 4, 2017 at 5:37 pm

Please tell me its not Gorky.

• Macdog said, on April 4, 2017 at 5:40 pm

I plead the 5th.

23. Macdog said, on April 4, 2017 at 5:15 pm

Pav: Giants close to signing veteran Drew Stubbs to minor league deal. Outfield insurance.

24. Flavor said, on April 4, 2017 at 5:59 pm

Span’s left hip is hurting, same one he had surgically repaired in 2015. I hope this doesn’t drag on too long. Either get over it or get it worked on again…..

• snarkk said, on April 4, 2017 at 6:24 pm

Not one of Sabes’ better acquisitions. But, when your minor league OFer closet is always bare, you have to pick often from slim FA pickens…

• alleykat69 said, on April 4, 2017 at 6:31 pm

Just for Span im listening to Huey Lewis “Hip to be Square” and for a double shot Tower of Power…”What is Hip”

• zumiee said, on April 4, 2017 at 6:35 pm

One of those two songs is way better than the other. ๐Ÿ™‚

25. alleykat69 said, on April 4, 2017 at 6:20 pm

Geez game 2 of the season and they can’t start the regular LU? That’s fucked up to me..

26. zumiee said, on April 4, 2017 at 6:33 pm

Gorkys batting leadoff? It’s like Bill James never existed, to quote James.

27. alleykat69 said, on April 4, 2017 at 6:38 pm

So did are crack medical staff get a “Cat Span” done on Denard’s hip?

28. alleykat69 said, on April 4, 2017 at 6:58 pm

162 games of Krukow telling us about “The Pitcher’s Arm Slot”very irritating ๐Ÿ˜

29. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on April 4, 2017 at 7:00 pm

The Giants’ climb into the higher echelon of championship teams started with Cain and Timmy as the catalysts for really changing the team, but management really scored big with Buster and MadBum. Bringing the two of them up together in 2010 unveiled a super weapon to the rest of baseball that changed the SF franchise forever. Yeah, Posey is just one guy, but he was, and still is, the field general for this team. I’ve adjusted my expectations for his offense, feeling like it’s ok that there probably won’t be a whole lot more of those grand salamis off Latos anymore, he is more just one of the guys now. Agree he’s not a “cleanup hitter”, but no one on this team is…

• zumiee said, on April 4, 2017 at 7:07 pm

Great post.

• chipower9 said, on April 4, 2017 at 8:00 pm

I second the great post. I think realistic expectations for Buster is around 18-20/80.

30. unca_chuck said, on April 4, 2017 at 7:00 pm

For the 8 millionth fucking time, why isn’t Nooner leading off?

31. djloo27 said, on April 4, 2017 at 7:02 pm

Paging Angel Pagan…

• unca_chuck said, on April 4, 2017 at 7:03 pm

Murcer, Bobby Murcer. No shit. Angel is a major upgrade at this point.

• zumiee said, on April 4, 2017 at 7:06 pm

Good point. Clearly he’s better than Gorkys. They might not think Pagan’s durable enough, though.

• unca_chuck said, on April 4, 2017 at 7:07 pm

More durable than One-Game-McGinty?

• zumiee said, on April 4, 2017 at 7:10 pm

Pagan would cost a certain amount, maybe higher than the Giants want to be on the hook for.

• chipower9 said, on April 4, 2017 at 8:08 pm

No shit, Loo. Rumors are that Atlanta and Detroit are interested. Bowden of ESPN says Giants too, but Baggs has dismissed Giant interest. The supposed hitch with these teams is Pagan wants a major league deal at 5 m per. I have been a big proponent of bringing him back (on the cheap if possible). He would be a good 4/5 OFer.

32. unca_chuck said, on April 4, 2017 at 7:02 pm

Gee, took all of one game for the backup outfield to come in to play. The one bereft of talent. Is Mac still hurting?

33. unca_chuck said, on April 4, 2017 at 7:06 pm

Well at least we are getting pitches out of this guy. Fat load of fuck that matters tho.

34. unca_chuck said, on April 4, 2017 at 7:07 pm

Well we got a hit with RISP! buuuut.

35. unca_chuck said, on April 4, 2017 at 7:10 pm

Hey! A flair!

36. Macdog said, on April 4, 2017 at 7:11 pm

How ’bout that leadoff guy!

37. zumiee said, on April 4, 2017 at 7:11 pm

The bloop will work! Lqtm. ๐Ÿ™‚

38. zumiee said, on April 4, 2017 at 7:22 pm

The Padres’ player payroll this season is $34.5 million. Yikes.

• alleykat69 said, on April 4, 2017 at 7:27 pm

Damm that’s only 12 mil over Cain’s salary,that ‘s a cheapwad orq,like the one across the bay..

39. alleykat69 said, on April 4, 2017 at 7:24 pm

Panik showing that gold glove leather!

40. zumiee said, on April 4, 2017 at 7:28 pm

Arizona is fun for hitters.

41. pawliekokonuts said, on April 4, 2017 at 7:33 pm

I remain optimistic about this team. Why not? It’s game 002, FFS. My local SF fans were howling and moaning like it was Domesday, as the olde spelling had it. A bit early for that. BTW, Manny Burriss suspended 50 games. Messes me up at the local yard!

• Macdog said, on April 4, 2017 at 7:35 pm

See my 2:16.

• pawliekokonuts said, on April 4, 2017 at 7:38 pm

ah, scooped me

42. pawliekokonuts said, on April 4, 2017 at 7:35 pm

hottie in the stands near Panik

43. pawliekokonuts said, on April 4, 2017 at 7:36 pm

AZ’s unis look like they got damaged in the wash, stained….

• Flavor said, on April 4, 2017 at 7:56 pm

lol, i thought the same thing. Better than those ones last year that looked like they were drenched in soot.

• chipower9 said, on April 4, 2017 at 8:11 pm

Someone last year said their unis look like garbageman duds from outer space. Not far off the mark!

• zumiee said, on April 4, 2017 at 8:15 pm

That was an awesome tweet from Rob Lowe. He was at a Dodger/D-Back game.

44. pawliekokonuts said, on April 4, 2017 at 7:56 pm

game feels 3 hours long

45. Flavor said, on April 4, 2017 at 7:57 pm

if Span is actually hurt why are they fiddling around with Stubbs? Isn’t Pagan still out there?

• chipower9 said, on April 4, 2017 at 8:12 pm

Just posted this above in reply to Loo::

46. pawliekokonuts said, on April 4, 2017 at 7:57 pm

I wonder if Pence is related to Marty Feldman.

• chipower9 said, on April 4, 2017 at 8:13 pm

He has those Marty Feldman eyes…

47. pawliekokonuts said, on April 4, 2017 at 8:03 pm

Most of the AZ players look like they’re models for Wheaties boxes in the fifties or delegates to the Republican National Convention.

• James said, on April 4, 2017 at 8:17 pm

Not exactly sure why your post made me think of this, but Sabes has a certain Steve Bannon like quality.

48. chipower9 said, on April 4, 2017 at 8:16 pm

Crawdad! Bombs away!

49. zumiee said, on April 4, 2017 at 8:20 pm

Smart slide by Nunie into first.

50. James said, on April 4, 2017 at 8:27 pm

Gorkys leading the team in RBIs – clutch!!! What was Zumie doing using my name to question tonight’s lead off hitter?!?

• zumiee said, on April 4, 2017 at 8:31 pm

Did you just use the word “clutch”? ๐Ÿ™‚

• James said, on April 4, 2017 at 8:32 pm

Just for you! ๐Ÿ˜„

• zumiee said, on April 4, 2017 at 8:40 pm

Lol!

51. pawliekokonuts said, on April 4, 2017 at 8:28 pm

big night for Gorkys Park

52. zumiee said, on April 4, 2017 at 8:30 pm

Hitters love them some Arizona.

53. James said, on April 4, 2017 at 8:31 pm

I admit that I’m disappointed that tonight is unlikely to be a bullpen game.

54. alleykat69 said, on April 4, 2017 at 8:33 pm

Cueto’s awesome, he’s done it all tonight, a hit,a rib,a run scored,on really good base running,(surprising quickness for the dude) pitching another quality start,just pray he doesn’t opt out next year which he will for sure if he adds another big year like last year.

55. zumiee said, on April 4, 2017 at 8:55 pm

RIP Marrero. He will be missed.

56. zumiee said, on April 4, 2017 at 8:58 pm

I can see that bullpen comin’
    It’s comin’ ’round the bend….

57. sandog said, on April 4, 2017 at 9:00 pm

I miss the Clockwork Orange look already!

58. djloo27 said, on April 4, 2017 at 9:14 pm

If Gearrin doesn’t come out for the next inning they should fire Bochy…

• chipower9 said, on April 4, 2017 at 9:18 pm

Good call, Loo. You channeling Bochy tonight?

• djloo27 said, on April 4, 2017 at 9:21 pm

He had a 12 pitch – 9 strike inning, no reason for an immediate hook.
        As I type this, he is yanked…

59. zumiee said, on April 4, 2017 at 9:15 pm

Pence is hitting that outside junk to rightfield to great success tonight.

60. chipower9 said, on April 4, 2017 at 9:15 pm

Padres over bums 3 zip after 7. Where’s Mr. Cock-a Doodle Do?

61. djloo27 said, on April 4, 2017 at 9:25 pm

If Bochy doesn’t show some faith in someone they’ll all pitch scared…

• James said, on April 4, 2017 at 9:28 pm

Bochy’s managing scared because they’ve all frightened him.

62. djloo27 said, on April 4, 2017 at 9:27 pm

If he gives Goldshit anything to hit, he should be waived immediately…

63. zumiee said, on April 4, 2017 at 9:33 pm

The Grapes of Wrath Padres now lead 4-0.

64. djloo27 said, on April 4, 2017 at 9:33 pm

The Doughy Fuck getting loose. Would they bring back Lemon Can in a non save situation?

65. zumiee said, on April 4, 2017 at 9:51 pm

Law……shazam!

66. Macdog said, on April 4, 2017 at 9:57 pm

Bums lose!

• zumiee said, on April 4, 2017 at 9:58 pm

No rooster around tonight.

• chipower9 said, on April 4, 2017 at 10:04 pm

Busy eating that Shut-out Crow? Bums fried by the Friars…

67. chipower9 said, on April 4, 2017 at 10:03 pm

Fucking Strickland. Two great pitches to get to 0-2 and then he walks the fucking batter.

68. chipower9 said, on April 4, 2017 at 10:07 pm

Ballgame, baby!

• zumiee said, on April 4, 2017 at 10:07 pm

• djloo27 said, on April 4, 2017 at 10:10 pm

Welcome back!

• zumiee said, on April 4, 2017 at 10:20 pm

๐Ÿ™‚

69. chipower9 said, on April 4, 2017 at 10:09 pm

Cueto needs to pull his part of the load. Making big coin and no HR tonight. WTF…

• sandog said, on April 4, 2017 at 10:15 pm

Lulz Chi!

• chipower9 said, on April 4, 2017 at 10:19 pm

๐Ÿ˜œ

70. Macdog said, on April 4, 2017 at 10:09 pm

Off the schneid!

71. djloo27 said, on April 4, 2017 at 10:09 pm

Big win!

72. chipower9 said, on April 4, 2017 at 10:11 pm

We’re at .500 boys! Whoop!

73. chipower9 said, on April 4, 2017 at 10:20 pm

Bochy – man after my own heart with a couple bottles of Cholua in his office…

74. zumiee said, on April 4, 2017 at 10:25 pm

There’s a new Leo Durocher biography out. That could be good.

• zumiee said, on April 4, 2017 at 10:26 pm

And a new Casey Stengel biography.

• chipower9 said, on April 5, 2017 at 7:34 am

Thanks, Zumiee – that will go on my list of must reads…

75. djloo27 said, on April 4, 2017 at 10:48 pm

• Flavor said, on April 5, 2017 at 6:12 am

i thought this was for after losses

76. snarkk said, on April 4, 2017 at 11:08 pm

This is amusing and actually interesting, on Bum’s HR stroke…

77. willedav said, on April 5, 2017 at 7:38 am

Nice to see Pads get to .500 vs. LA.
    Giants knock out another AZ SP early, not a good sign for DBax.
    Drew Stubbs, lol. great name terrible player. Remember Franklin Stubbs?

• chipower9 said, on April 5, 2017 at 7:47 am

Agree on the great name for Drew Stubbs, and yep, I remember Franklin. He sucked, too. Had maybe one good year with the bambinos…

78. chipower9 said, on April 5, 2017 at 7:43 am

Nice tidy win last night. Cueto wasn’t dominant, but I think 4 ER over five IP in Zona is a respectable line (and he gets kudos for knocking in a run).

Gorkys had a night with four RBI, but I think we all know that is not sustainable, but you take it where you can get it.

I am still not 100% confident on the bullpen, but four relievers, four IP, no ER…will take that all day, every day, and twice on Sundays.

Will be interesting to hear the news on Span. It sucks that the same hip is giving him problems, as he had a nice spring and was looking good both at the plate and in the field.

ST numbers:.305, .369, .475, .844 with two bombs.

RS numbers (limited, but WTF): .400, .400, .400, .800.

Given this, and Span’s history since we signed him, I would make a run at Pagan. As I mentioned earlier, he is seeking a major league deal in the 5m range. Probably more than the Giants want to spend, but he sure would provide some insurance and would definitely be the best 4th OF option given the current OF situation.

I know not many hear followed the WBC, but Pagan looked pretty damned good playing for Puerto Rico:

.324, .371, .286, .696 with three doubles, and a couple of RRIs.