Quantity Over Quality

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 12, 2017

As Yoenis Cespedes was busy abusing balls deep into the night in Philly I started trying to figure out how we got ourselves into this outfield mess. Instead of actually DOING SOMETHING this off season after they signed Mark Melancon the brass did nothing including not signing The Great and All-Powerful Cespy. They figured Parker and Williamson would cobble together the left field production. Before spring training even started, that plan started to unravel so they handshook an aged Morse on to the team along with Justin Ruggiano who may or may not have been a hologram. Morse got hurt, Ruggiano got shined in the direction of Sacramento and Marrero was lights out against nobodies in March so he made the the squad. Hill started shagging balls and all of a sudden he’s a left fielder. The wrong Upton brother and the younger Stubbs brother were hastily signed. And now we have…..shit? Sabean and Evans took an absolute half-assed approach to building the 2017 roster.

This all could have been easily avoided by paying for an actual major league left fielder but we’re into the lux tax and god forbid anything slow down the revenue bonanza the Giants ownership enjoys.

Ah and now we get a Cain start. Early weather report looks like a lot of rain tonight so maybe this one gets rained out and we avoid another loss…..

1. Flavor said, on April 12, 2017 at 6:33 am

It seems United’s stock has returned to it’s pre-passenger beating levels. Stay classy, America, stay classy……

• chipower9 said, on April 12, 2017 at 7:26 am

lulz…

2. chipower9 said, on April 12, 2017 at 7:26 am

Unfortunately, even with paying off the mortgage on the yard, word was that “The Brass” did not want to pay the luxury tax…that is why we do not have a legit LFer. Fuck ’em….pony up, bitches…you are making money hand over fists!

To continue snarkk’s thoughts on the last thread…I can see giving the two-headed clusterfuck until the end of this homestand. If they are still going 0-forever and leaving ducks on the pond, then changes have to be made. The team cannot dig too deep of a hole.

And the bullpen needs to get it’s shit together, too. Ramirez blew chunks last night, too (8 fucking 10 ERA and 1.50 WHIP).

And sorry, but Porky Gorky should have been charged with an error. Dude made the adjustment with a good path to the ball, was ready to make the catch, and it went right over the top of his fucking glove. Clueless fuck.

At least Marrero had a nice play in the OF and drew a walk. Other than that, he and Porky went 0-fer and left 8 stranded. EIGHT!

I need a drink…make it a double.

• Irish Kevin said, on April 12, 2017 at 7:58 am

Sounds like a little Irish coffee maybe needed this morning??

• chipower9 said, on April 12, 2017 at 9:08 am

Kentucky mule – make it a double!

3. unca_chuck said, on April 12, 2017 at 7:33 am

A
    Start
    For Cain
    And pray for
    Rain

4. unca_chuck said, on April 12, 2017 at 7:37 am

I missed the gurk by Gorky and they didn’t seem to want to show it on the highlights (?) so I’ll take your word that it was hideous.

This ain’t do or die but really we can get seriously behind the 8 ball if we keep this up. If they sit on their hands through the next few weeks it will be a bad penny year.

5. chipower9 said, on April 12, 2017 at 7:40 am

Need a win today to take the series, and then going forward…one day, one game at a time, and continue to win series. That seems like such a fucking stretch for this club right now, especially with Cainer set to start today. We need a miracle from the 20 million dollar man today.

6. willedav said, on April 12, 2017 at 7:49 am

4 well pitched games by SPs in a row. Smardz wasn’t bad at all, and with a little help from D might not have been scored upon at all. Pitching to me is more important than LF, only spot on team I worry about.

Once Williamson gets some ABs in Sac to make up for missing end of ST I imagine him coming up is first move of a few. Nunez is showing he needs to be in LU everyday somewhere and Giants have other options at 3b (Gameface Hwang Arroyo) if he were moved to OF.
    Asking him to play backup to SS and CF/LF seems like a lot to put on his plate tho. I still think it’s too early to dismiss Parker entirely but Marrero and Gorkys, no.

7. willedav said, on April 12, 2017 at 8:29 am

on Brisbee’s blog is link to a minor league report, much more interesting read than McChron imo. Specs is leading off for Sac and hitting .364, Arroyo is raking at .400, Slater at .300 Hwang .278. The Calixte kid is playing CF and had a double couple rbis. Osich got second save of year. They do use DH down there and it is a hitters league, but…seems a few of these guys could be decent Plan B (as opposed to Upton Morse Pagan and current usual suspects).

And I’ll at least give Evans credit for that, building in some options to provide IF and OF depth—it wasn’t his decision on the lux tax, nor that Williamson got hurt.

• chipower9 said, on April 12, 2017 at 9:09 am

We also lost Smith and he was supposed to be a key part of the pen.

8. Irish Kevin said, on April 12, 2017 at 8:41 am

I just don’t like the mix and match way to determine who plays. Stick Parker out there and forget the rest. As far as Gorky, one play does not make him crap OFer.

• chipower9 said, on April 12, 2017 at 10:24 am

Parker does need to play more often, but get used to it…Bochy is going to give these guys some rope.

Kev – it is more than ONE PLAY. Fucking dude has struck-out in some key situations with RISP. His BA is below .100. He fucking sucks.

• Lurker John said, on April 12, 2017 at 2:22 pm

It’s not the first play he’s boned out there, Kevin. He had a couple in AZ as well.

• chipower9 said, on April 12, 2017 at 4:54 pm

When you are hitting .080, and you’re billed as a plus D OFer, you have got to make those plays. The rope is short for me on LF and Gorkys. Parker should get almost all starts…even a few against lefties.

9. Flavor said, on April 12, 2017 at 9:02 am

Daren Willman‏Verified account @darenw 3m3 minutes ago
    Hardest balls hit by @SFGiants this season:
    Madison Bumgarner 112.5 MPH
    Bumgarner 112.1
    Eduardo Nunez 110.8
    Jarrett Parker 110.2
    Posey 109.6

10. snarkk said, on April 12, 2017 at 9:28 am

I didn’t know the lineup for last night until today. Seriously, with Posey justifiably out, you sit Craw and the Old Man, too? Hill in cleanup? 8 games in, and that’s the LU? I thought the white flag LU is for getaway days. Unreal…

• Flavor said, on April 12, 2017 at 9:30 am

well, they were facing a lefty. But Craw hits lefty’s fine. And when you have literally nothing but AAA players and “Uggla’s” on the bench, getting tricky with Lefty/righty match up line up bullshit doesn’t work…..

• snarkk said, on April 12, 2017 at 9:33 am

They’re paying Span $12 mill a year. If he’s hurt, DL his ass. He’s played what, 2 games, and needs a rest against a lefty? Mind blowing if he’s not hurt…

11. Flavor said, on April 12, 2017 at 10:08 am

reading some Giants fans on twitter calling for calmer heads, this is a small sample size, it’s only April, etc……Look, forget their record. Just look at who they are trotting out there: Hill, Marrero, Gorky’s, Parker, Hundley, Cain…..and who is warming up in extended spring training? Fucking the wrong Upton bro and and the next gen of Stubbs. I’m telling you, this season is about to implode. It’s way too early to be grasping at straws playing these shitty players. But that’s all we have to run out there. Starting to feel like a lost season……

12. pawliekokonuts said, on April 12, 2017 at 10:30 am

Radio interview I did yesterday: http://bit.ly/2otoo0n

• Flavor said, on April 12, 2017 at 12:40 pm

Nice PK! The only small criticism: did you say this is an even year? lol, or did I hear that wrong?

• pawliekokonuts said, on April 12, 2017 at 2:06 pm

hahahahaha I did say that and only just now realized, of course not #geezer

• Flavor said, on April 12, 2017 at 4:10 pm

well, it sounded good anyway. Everything else was great.

• Macdog said, on April 12, 2017 at 2:12 pm

That’s OK, it’s not like you confused Syria with Iraq.

13. pawliekokonuts said, on April 12, 2017 at 10:31 am

We are too much of a AAAA team. Ugh. Ughla.

14. zumiee said, on April 12, 2017 at 11:52 am

Tough loss last night, but it is cool they battled in the 9th inning and made it close, with the rain pouring down. Hundley was a nice pick-up for back-up catcher.
    I’m so done with the Marrero/Gorkys show. Mel Upton, Jr., come on down!

I saw the first two episodes of “Brockmire” last night on the IFC network, and they were a hoot. For some reason, I had kind of low expectations for this show, maybe thinking the show won’t get the baseball stuff right. But the show absolutely gets the baseball stuff right. This show is very good, and laugh-outloud funny, although pretty raunchy. This series will never be rebroadcast on the MLB Network. They would have to bleep out and delete so much, there would be no point.
    The 2 episodes did a good job of getting me to care about the characters. The premise is that a former big-league broadcaster, down on his luck, and hooked on alcohol and other stimulants, ends up having to take a minor league job in a podunk depressing little town. The town is so full of the stench of the fracking going on in the area, that the team is named the Morristown Frackers. The show is well-written and well-acted. The show is definitely not for kids.

15. chipower9 said, on April 12, 2017 at 12:31 pm

A friend told me later that Upton Jr’s contract has not been signed, yet. He is not on the 40 man, per the SF web site. I think Williamson if he gets healthy, or someone else at Sac gets the call before Jr.

But I agree…they must do something, SOON.

• Macdog said, on April 12, 2017 at 12:36 pm

From Pav earlier: Upton Jr. deal is official. He’s working out at extended spring first.

• chipower9 said, on April 12, 2017 at 12:42 pm

Thanks, Mac.

• Flavor said, on April 12, 2017 at 12:59 pm

come on guys, you don’t need to go doubting me or checking for news from pussies who have banned me on twitter! I’ll butter your bread with all the Giants news you need!! lulz

• chipower9 said, on April 12, 2017 at 4:55 pm

I don’t tweet, Flav. And no desire to start.

16. djloo27 said, on April 12, 2017 at 1:30 pm

The comeback attempt in the rain was pretty exciting…

17. Lurker John said, on April 12, 2017 at 2:11 pm

Per Bochy, “[Gorkys] is a gifted centerfielder.” I gotta say, I’d hate to see his idea of a crappy CF.

18. Lurker John said, on April 12, 2017 at 2:20 pm

This LF thing is really frustrating, especially if the main driver is the lux tax clusterfuck. Pence is the only legit OF, imo, in terms of both offense and defense and he’s slowing down, though he’s off to a pretty good start. He’s 34 tomorrow. The team being unwilling to sign a bonafide LF (Cespedes-type) feels like a big fuck you from management to the fans.

• chipower9 said, on April 12, 2017 at 2:44 pm

Agree. As I said earlier, all I have heard is that the ownership group did not want to take on the luxury tax this year. So here we are with a piss-poor OF. Sigh…

• Lurker John said, on April 12, 2017 at 3:22 pm

Just to add, chi, I believe a legitimate RBI guy in left would really open up this offense. Maybe move Posey down to 5th, leave Pence in the 3-hole, or vice versa, and you just might have something with some punch. Panik through Posey would pretty potent. Buster isn’t a natural cleanup guy, imo, and would be better suited for 3 or 5.

He and Pence have pop, they just aren’t cleanup hitters. As it is now, we’re going to continue to see stretches where the O struggles, like the past few years, not to mention lousy defense. Management’s decision to go into the season with this OF and this set of bullpen guys just drives you crazy.

A lost season, like BF said, I dunno, it’s early, but there’s some foreboding signs with this team and not much apparent relief on the farm.

• chipower9 said, on April 12, 2017 at 5:01 pm

You know, I’m concerned, but by no means throwing in the towel, yet. I picked this team to win the West. I still think they have some good ball in them, but they need to explore some different options in the OF, soon. And I would wait till at least the 1/4 point of the season before significantly monkeying with the BP.

I agree with everything you say about having a “Cespedes-type” in LF…a true clean-up guy who plays a decent OF. I would go Posey three and Pence five. Need to flood the Giants brass emails with calls for an investment in the team!

19. unca_chuck said, on April 12, 2017 at 2:27 pm

Yeah, we coulda had Cespy 3 different times. And he’s light-years ahead of the Merkels we’ve put out there.

• Lurker John said, on April 12, 2017 at 3:23 pm

Oh hell yeah.

20. Flavor said, on April 12, 2017 at 4:09 pm

The only thing that would make sense is if Cespy (and other big bats like him) just don’t want to come here. All his family is in Florida, it wouldn’t be the biggest surprise if he didn’t want to play on the west coast. And our park sucks to hit in. Maybe the problem isn’t that management won’t throw down cash to get these hitters.Maybe the problem is that they won’t overpay to get them especially with us already in the lux tax

• chipower9 said, on April 12, 2017 at 5:04 pm

I think there is probably some truth there, Flav. Need to land that guy via a trade. And if tyou go that route, is there anyone who is off-limits? (They will have to pay to get a good power-hitting OFer.)

• Lurker John said, on April 12, 2017 at 6:35 pm

The Met’s park is no band box either. For a RH power hitter, I think he could do fine at AT&T. The family thing seems more plausible to me, at least in Cespedes’ case.

21. zumiee said, on April 12, 2017 at 4:20 pm

Cain pitching tonight!

• Flavor said, on April 12, 2017 at 4:23 pm

yeah, and it looks like the rain won’t really hit till 10pm or so. He will have been long since ousted from the game. Zumiee, we need to fire up that Stix mugshot shaking his head from side to side. Feels like a loss is on the horizon.

22. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 12, 2017 at 4:45 pm

SI.com is a vast wasteland of carnage these days but I still pay it a visit now and then hoping to find gold nuggets like this one. I’m not much of a hoops fan but I always liked KG

• Flavor said, on April 12, 2017 at 5:12 pm

i preferred the *shout out* tweet

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 12, 2017 at 8:06 pm

Yeah, that one was pretty good. Eskimo brothers was good too haven’t heard that one in a while. Lulz.

23. djloo27 said, on April 12, 2017 at 5:18 pm

I’m predicting 6 solid innings from the Horse tonight.
    For old times sake…

• Flavor said, on April 12, 2017 at 5:20 pm

I’m predicting Shelby Miller won’t look like the worst pitcher in the NL that he was last year. I’ll say D-Backs 4 Giants 1. The weather still sucks here, bad for hitting

24. Flavor said, on April 12, 2017 at 5:22 pm

• snarkk said, on April 12, 2017 at 5:47 pm

I’ll go my usual 4 frames and 4 runs allowed by Cain. Being optimistic tonight…

• snarkk said, on April 12, 2017 at 5:54 pm

Ah, check that. 4 and 5. Snakes can friggin hit. Beede supposedly was nails his last Sac start, per Fedex. The $20 mill to Cain is paid whether he or Beede is actually hurling in the #5. Sometimes I wonder with the Giants if winning truly is the goal, or if saving face ( somebody’s) is…

25. alleykat69 said, on April 12, 2017 at 6:00 pm

CF sucks as much as LF when you consider the Giants swung and missed on Spandex. 12 mil for now a platoon player bust that will be out of the lu more then in it this year,with a hip most teams figured was replacement needed,and easily passed on,except of course our crack staff,(Medical and Sabes,Evans,Bochy etc with their still overwhelming majority support of vet presence on a aging team to begin with..

26. Flavor said, on April 12, 2017 at 6:04 pm

I think this will be Cain’s last start and there’s probably at least a decent chance that Young Beedah goes before Blach in the rotation.

27. snarkk said, on April 12, 2017 at 6:30 pm

Somebody probably has some info on this. What is an average #5 starter supposed to do? If Cain goes into mid-late May averaging 4 innings and 5 runs (7+ ERA), where is that on the scale of #5 performers? How would his #5 WAR compare with the WAR of #5s historically. I’ve got to believe even for #5s that would suck. A #5 worth his salt should at least be able to get through the opposing LU twice (= 6 frames), without getting friggin roasted so his squad has no shot to win. A #5 basically has to eat enough innings without getting waxed every time so that the Pen’s arms don’t fall off every time he takes the bump. Or, am I wrong here and other considerations for a #5 are more important?…

• Flavor said, on April 12, 2017 at 6:37 pm

this is a great question. My guess is that we don’t know how good we have it. I bet most teams have trouble finding #4’s that don’t implode all the time, much less #5s. I might go through the rotations later and see if most teams even list a regular #5 in their rotation

• snarkk said, on April 12, 2017 at 6:45 pm

Yeah, maybe Cain is right in the wheelhouse for #5s performance, and I or we don’t even know it. But, I know this — I’d rather have Beede spending the finite number of lifetime pitches in his arm now at ATT rather than Raley Field. He can lose up here as well as Cain can, and get better for it. Cain isn’t trending any better after 3+ years of suckage…

• Lurker John said, on April 12, 2017 at 6:50 pm

I hope to hell the standard is better than 4 IP and a 7+ ERA. My guess would be an innings eater at the least.

• James said, on April 12, 2017 at 7:13 pm

The Quality Start may actually have some utility in evaluating relative mediocrity. Cain: 22%, Peavey 38% last year. Peavey retired. Cain reached the Timmy zone a while ago.

28. James said, on April 12, 2017 at 7:19 pm

How much do you trust OPS? Yesterday Paul IA mentioned Belt was hitting 200. His OPS is 905. Could you stomach that for an entire season? He’d have to hit 50 HRS and walk a fair number of times . . . .

29. Lurker John said, on April 12, 2017 at 7:19 pm

That didn’t take long.

30. alleykat69 said, on April 12, 2017 at 7:44 pm

Nice replay “NOT” on old man Span butchering a easy single into a double.. The old man can’t even bend over anymore!!

31. Lurker John said, on April 12, 2017 at 8:22 pm

Matt pitching well through 4.

• willedav said, on April 12, 2017 at 8:27 pm

yep, one inning he couldn’t seem to locate, settles down. Cain conundrum (used to say this about Zito): he pitches well enough, like tonite, means he probably gets more starts. They could skip his next one tho, as Giants have day off that could wind up with other guys going on normal rest.

32. alleykat69 said, on April 12, 2017 at 8:26 pm

You never know sometimes of Quality Starts James. Cause Cain is having his so far. 6 K’s in 4 innings 1 run ill take that anytime. Above his 22% average by far…

33. Lurker John said, on April 12, 2017 at 8:38 pm

How about some hits!

34. Lurker John said, on April 12, 2017 at 8:39 pm

KD having his best game by far since coming back. W’s are going to be tough to be these playoffs.

35. Flavor said, on April 12, 2017 at 8:44 pm

If Cain gets a classic “Caining” tonight, so be it. Who cares about one game? If he can show that he can pitch effectively into the 6th inning or so of a game, that would be a monumental win for the team. Nearly immeasurable.

36. djloo27 said, on April 12, 2017 at 8:47 pm

• willedav said, on April 12, 2017 at 8:52 pm

2 hits double and a rbi….rest of the LU? Care less what he looks like.
      Now Pence flicks one into RF and Giants take lead.

• Flavor said, on April 12, 2017 at 9:00 pm

my favorite.

37. Lurker John said, on April 12, 2017 at 8:48 pm

Atta kid Denard!

38. Lurker John said, on April 12, 2017 at 8:52 pm

Signs of life!

39. willedav said, on April 12, 2017 at 8:56 pm

Baggs tweeted rain on the way so glad Giants got the lead.
    I love Gameface, who picks up Craw with another line drive base hit.

• Lurker John said, on April 12, 2017 at 9:00 pm

Good inning. Gillaspie with a great AB there, took what the pitcher gave him. Clutch knock.

40. chipower9 said, on April 12, 2017 at 8:57 pm

Game Face getting in the action.

41. Lurker John said, on April 12, 2017 at 9:01 pm

Gillaspie has turned into an excellent part of this team.

42. unca_chuck said, on April 12, 2017 at 9:05 pm

Oh the pen,

43. djloo27 said, on April 12, 2017 at 9:08 pm

Time to start gearrin up for a loss..

44. willedav said, on April 12, 2017 at 9:14 pm

Sharks tie it up in 3rd after being down 2-0 early with 4 on 4 goal. Oilers have about 7 penalties, out of control.

• chipower9 said, on April 12, 2017 at 9:16 pm

I have been flipping over there occasionally. Go Tiburones!

45. chipower9 said, on April 12, 2017 at 9:17 pm

Fuck yeah. Way to gut that shit out, Gearrin.

46. zumiee said, on April 12, 2017 at 9:18 pm

Wow- that’s the best stuff Gearrin’s had in a while.

47. xoot said, on April 12, 2017 at 9:18 pm

Great inning from Gearrin. Three more to go.

48. alleykat69 said, on April 12, 2017 at 9:21 pm

Gearrin Striking out the side with nasty stuff!Great Job!
    Big step in helping Cain get a possible W..

49. chipower9 said, on April 12, 2017 at 9:22 pm

Damn I sure like Panik. Just a solid all-around player.

50. chipower9 said, on April 12, 2017 at 9:24 pm

Parker pushing up that average with his second hit of the season.

51. xoot said, on April 12, 2017 at 9:24 pm

Maybe this rain squall will relieve the game for us. Let it pour

52. James said, on April 12, 2017 at 9:27 pm

Now might be a good time to post a hopeful note about the pen, quickly while SF is up. If these 4 pitchers put up 2017 numbers similar to 2016’s, it will be a good year for the pen:

Kontos: 2.53 ERA, 1.163 WHIP
    Law: 2.13 ERA, 0.964 WHIP
    Strickland: 3.10 ERA, 1.131 WHIP
    Gearrin: 4.28 ERA, 1.159 WHIP

• chipower9 said, on April 12, 2017 at 9:29 pm

James – Those are season totals? You know everyone here would take that all day, twice on Sunday.

• James said, on April 12, 2017 at 9:33 pm

Yes, those are the totals from last year. Combined with Will Smith, you can see why Sabes and Co. thought they had done all right.

• chipower9 said, on April 12, 2017 at 9:44 pm

True. With those numbers you would have to think they were good to go. Especially with Okert and Osich (if he gets it together) in the wings. I have been saying I think this team will come around, and hopefully the pen is part of that (it will have to be).

• xoot said, on April 12, 2017 at 10:08 pm

They hoped they had done enough. And Will Smith, with a good elbow, wasn’t going to be Affeldt redux. Tonight, however, the pen may give us what we need for a Cain win. That’s no small victory

53. chipower9 said, on April 12, 2017 at 9:27 pm

Five minutes left in the 3rd. Sharks and Oilers knotted at 2.

• willedav said, on April 12, 2017 at 9:46 pm

OT Sharks control play since mid 2nd period, without Thornton.

54. chipower9 said, on April 12, 2017 at 9:31 pm

Holy shit. It just started seriously dumping here. Coming down in buckets…

55. willedav said, on April 12, 2017 at 9:45 pm

Cain’s ERA btw now 4.82…2 runs better than Smardz 6.75 and less than half a run worse than Cueto’s 4.50.

56. chipower9 said, on April 12, 2017 at 9:48 pm

Another clean inning. Keep it rolling

57. Lurker John said, on April 12, 2017 at 9:49 pm

Dubs finish with 67 wins. Bring on the Blazers!

58. willedav said, on April 12, 2017 at 9:50 pm

Compost gets Golds on a comebacker, I love it.
    At least if Lamb hits again if this doesn’t go to rainout, it will be with no one on.
    PITCHING, I’m telling you. Giants get it they will win their fair share, OF be damned.

• chipower9 said, on April 12, 2017 at 9:54 pm

That is why I have been saying that I think they’ll come around. If Span can stay healthy and play like he has to date, as you say, LF is really not that consequential (8 hole hitter most of the time).

Goal Sharks!

59. chipower9 said, on April 12, 2017 at 9:55 pm

Sharks win in OT!

60. alleykat69 said, on April 12, 2017 at 9:55 pm

Sharks Baby!!!
    All Night Long!!!
    Winner Chicken Dinner in OT!!!

61. willedav said, on April 12, 2017 at 9:55 pm

Score! Sharks win in OT!
    29th in league after trailing after 2…not tonite.

62. snarkk said, on April 12, 2017 at 10:00 pm

This game is a double edged sword — decent start giving up only one in 5, but it just gave Cain another month of starts. Beede needs to keep dominating at AAA to keep the heat on. Cain looks like he can give 5 frames max, and that’s the end of his Bochy rope, which is justified. Looks like Panik is in good offensive form this season, and that’s huge IMO…

• chipower9 said, on April 12, 2017 at 10:04 pm

If Cain can do what he did tonight, on a regular basis, that works for the five hole.

• Lurker John said, on April 12, 2017 at 10:04 pm

Agree. Beede’s time will come.

• chipower9 said, on April 12, 2017 at 10:10 pm

Would make no sense to rush your top prospect to patch-up your five hole, IMO.

63. chipower9 said, on April 12, 2017 at 10:02 pm

Let it rain…hits…

64. Macdog said, on April 12, 2017 at 10:02 pm

Nick knock!

65. Lurker John said, on April 12, 2017 at 10:04 pm

I have to ask who exactly Peralta was trying to deke there with two outs.

66. alleykat69 said, on April 12, 2017 at 10:06 pm

Snarkk..Same amount of leash Peavy usually got!
    Problem was Boch bromance for Peavy let him go into the 6th sometime start the 7th and then all hell broke loose as he would get hammered and they would end up losing…

67. chipower9 said, on April 12, 2017 at 10:08 pm

Nice AB by Panik to grind-out the walk.

68. chipower9 said, on April 12, 2017 at 10:08 pm

Parker just missing his first bomb. Damn!

69. Macdog said, on April 12, 2017 at 10:09 pm

Pour it on!

70. willedav said, on April 12, 2017 at 10:09 pm

wow Parker crushed that. Nice nite for a lot of guys looking to rebound.

71. Lurker John said, on April 12, 2017 at 10:10 pm

There you go Jarrett.

72. alleykat69 said, on April 12, 2017 at 10:11 pm

Parker sure needed that almost blast.2 hits tonight hope that ignites him!!

73. chipower9 said, on April 12, 2017 at 10:13 pm

Tip of a cap to your right coast Flappers. 4:45 will be here in no time…so taking my ass to bed. Close it out pen!

74. alleykat69 said, on April 12, 2017 at 10:15 pm

Krukow ever the master of taking credit said if Parker plants that front leg instead of being on a caffeine high all jittery he will have more success..

75. alleykat69 said, on April 12, 2017 at 10:18 pm

You mean the Giants love Nick Hundley more then AJ Pierszinki??

76. zumiee said, on April 12, 2017 at 10:37 pm

I think Krukow just said: “In the rain, you’re going to get wet balls.”

• snarkk said, on April 12, 2017 at 10:41 pm

Now, that’s no hyperbole…

77. Macdog said, on April 12, 2017 at 10:39 pm

Alright, a series win. Gotta start somewhere.

• zumiee said, on April 12, 2017 at 10:42 pm

78. snarkk said, on April 12, 2017 at 10:42 pm

If I rip management for sitting on its hands re: LF, I gotta give ’em credit for Hundley. This dude looks to be a serious upgrade from Brown. He’s a big bud of Melancon, so dunno whether he comes here without that connection, but whatever. Glad he’s here…

79. djloo27 said, on April 12, 2017 at 10:44 pm

Span should refrain from participating in that silly celebratory post game leap in the outfield. It makes my hip hurt just watching it…

• zumiee said, on April 12, 2017 at 10:50 pm

Yeah, that makes me nervous for all three guys when I see it.

80. unca_chuck said, on April 12, 2017 at 10:51 pm

Clockwork Orange for the hold!!

81. zumiee said, on April 12, 2017 at 10:53 pm

6 years (!) after the Beltran trade, Zack Wheeler got his first major league win tonight.

• alleykat69 said, on April 12, 2017 at 11:07 pm

Reminds me of the Freddy “Glass Sanchez” trade Zumie.. Tim Alderson for Freddy and everyone’s thinking , holy crap we got taken bad, but Tim never made it , so maybe the Giants really know when to “cut bait” and make a smart move..

• Macdog said, on April 13, 2017 at 12:04 am

It was his first win since Sept. 2014.

• zumiee said, on April 13, 2017 at 6:18 am

Thanks. I misheard the MLB Network broadcaster.

82. zumiee said, on April 12, 2017 at 11:00 pm

Cain’s first win in the month of April since ’12.

83. chipower9 said, on April 13, 2017 at 4:57 am

Woo Hoo! Glad to see the bullpen closed the deal! Law was the only small hiccup in the pen tonight. Series win is huge for this team. Need to build off of this and string-together some wins.

• Lurker John said, on April 13, 2017 at 6:27 am

And he threw the ball pretty well despite coughing up the run.

• chipower9 said, on April 13, 2017 at 6:29 am

Good to know. I punched-out at the end of the 7th. Staying up late to catch the games, and subsequently getting up at 4:45 in the morn has been kicking my ass. It sucks getting old! 😉

84. unca_chuck said, on April 13, 2017 at 8:30 am

I thought I had it bad at 6:10 am . . .

• chipower9 said, on April 13, 2017 at 9:06 am

Yeah, I am typically in the office by 6:30. Not that I am an early-bird, but I do like getting off at 3-3:30 in the afternoon.

85. unca_chuck said, on April 13, 2017 at 8:32 am

And yeah, Hundley was a very good move. We haven’t had a good backup catcher since Posey was backing up Big Titties.

86. chipower9 said, on April 13, 2017 at 9:14 am

So, our boys finally won a series. Pen looked good (I missed Law’s inning, but LJ said he threw well even though giving up a run). Parker with a couple of knocks and RBIs. Span also with a couple of knocks and an RBI, and he looked good moving around in the OF. Cain had what I would call a quality start for a 5th starter, AND had a knock and RBI.

I know there are a lot of “IFs” here, but if we can get that out of Cain somewhat regularly, Parker can look more like he did last night as opposed to the first week of the season, and the pen does their job, this team will be OK.

Span is one of the keys. If he can play close to what he did last night, and keep Gorkys on the bench, that’s big.

Parker needs to keep consistent along the lines of last night. I think Marrero’s time on the team is short, and will not be surprised to see a change there (maybe even before the quarter-point in the season).

Need to beat-up on the Rox beginning tonight. It’s early…and there are signs of life with the Black and Orange.

87. Flavor said, on April 13, 2017 at 9:17 am

new thread (sorry Chi).

88. Macdog said, on April 13, 2017 at 10:08 pm

Got back from a movie to catch the last few innings, wishing there were still double features.