Quantity Over Quality

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 12, 2017

As Yoenis Cespedes was busy abusing balls deep into the night in Philly I started trying to figure out how we got ourselves into this outfield mess. Instead of actually DOING SOMETHING this off season after they signed Mark Melancon the brass did nothing including not signing The Great and All-Powerful Cespy. They figured Parker and Williamson would cobble together the left field production. Before spring training even started, that plan started to unravel so they handshook an aged Morse on to the team along with Justin Ruggiano who may or may not have been a hologram. Morse got hurt, Ruggiano got shined in the direction of Sacramento and Marrero was lights out against nobodies in March so he made the the squad. Hill started shagging balls and all of a sudden he’s a left fielder. The wrong Upton brother and the younger Stubbs brother were hastily signed. And now we have…..shit? Sabean and Evans took an absolute half-assed approach to building the 2017 roster.

This all could have been easily avoided by paying for an actual major league left fielder but we’re into the lux tax and god forbid anything slow down the revenue bonanza the Giants ownership enjoys.

Ah and now we get a Cain start. Early weather report looks like a lot of rain tonight so maybe this one gets rained out and we avoid another loss…..

1. zumiee said, on April 12, 2017 at 10:37 pm

I think Krukow just said: “In the rain, you’re going to get wet balls.”

• snarkk said, on April 12, 2017 at 10:41 pm

Now, that’s no hyperbole…

2. Macdog said, on April 12, 2017 at 10:39 pm

Alright, a series win. Gotta start somewhere.

• zumiee said, on April 12, 2017 at 10:42 pm

3. snarkk said, on April 12, 2017 at 10:42 pm

If I rip management for sitting on its hands re: LF, I gotta give ’em credit for Hundley. This dude looks to be a serious upgrade from Brown. He’s a big bud of Melancon, so dunno whether he comes here without that connection, but whatever. Glad he’s here…

4. djloo27 said, on April 12, 2017 at 10:44 pm

Span should refrain from participating in that silly celebratory post game leap in the outfield. It makes my hip hurt just watching it…

• zumiee said, on April 12, 2017 at 10:50 pm

Yeah, that makes me nervous for all three guys when I see it.

5. unca_chuck said, on April 12, 2017 at 10:51 pm

Clockwork Orange for the hold!!

6. zumiee said, on April 12, 2017 at 10:53 pm

6 years (!) after the Beltran trade, Zack Wheeler got his first major league win tonight.

• alleykat69 said, on April 12, 2017 at 11:07 pm

Reminds me of the Freddy “Glass Sanchez” trade Zumie.. Tim Alderson for Freddy and everyone’s thinking , holy crap we got taken bad, but Tim never made it , so maybe the Giants really know when to “cut bait” and make a smart move..

• Macdog said, on April 13, 2017 at 12:04 am

It was his first win since Sept. 2014.

• zumiee said, on April 13, 2017 at 6:18 am

Thanks. I misheard the MLB Network broadcaster.

7. zumiee said, on April 12, 2017 at 11:00 pm

Cain’s first win in the month of April since ’12.

8. chipower9 said, on April 13, 2017 at 4:57 am

Woo Hoo! Glad to see the bullpen closed the deal! Law was the only small hiccup in the pen tonight. Series win is huge for this team. Need to build off of this and string-together some wins.

• Lurker John said, on April 13, 2017 at 6:27 am

And he threw the ball pretty well despite coughing up the run.

• chipower9 said, on April 13, 2017 at 6:29 am

Good to know. I punched-out at the end of the 7th. Staying up late to catch the games, and subsequently getting up at 4:45 in the morn has been kicking my ass. It sucks getting old! 😉

9. unca_chuck said, on April 13, 2017 at 8:30 am

I thought I had it bad at 6:10 am . . .

• chipower9 said, on April 13, 2017 at 9:06 am

Yeah, I am typically in the office by 6:30. Not that I am an early-bird, but I do like getting off at 3-3:30 in the afternoon.

10. unca_chuck said, on April 13, 2017 at 8:32 am

And yeah, Hundley was a very good move. We haven’t had a good backup catcher since Posey was backing up Big Titties.

11. chipower9 said, on April 13, 2017 at 9:14 am

So, our boys finally won a series. Pen looked good (I missed Law’s inning, but LJ said he threw well even though giving up a run). Parker with a couple of knocks and RBIs. Span also with a couple of knocks and an RBI, and he looked good moving around in the OF. Cain had what I would call a quality start for a 5th starter, AND had a knock and RBI.

I know there are a lot of “IFs” here, but if we can get that out of Cain somewhat regularly, Parker can look more like he did last night as opposed to the first week of the season, and the pen does their job, this team will be OK.

Span is one of the keys. If he can play close to what he did last night, and keep Gorkys on the bench, that’s big.

Parker needs to keep consistent along the lines of last night. I think Marrero’s time on the team is short, and will not be surprised to see a change there (maybe even before the quarter-point in the season).

Need to beat-up on the Rox beginning tonight. It’s early…and there are signs of life with the Black and Orange.

12. Flavor said, on April 13, 2017 at 9:17 am

new thread (sorry Chi).

13. Macdog said, on April 13, 2017 at 10:08 pm

Got back from a movie to catch the last few innings, wishing there were still double features.