Things Other Than Baseball

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 14, 2017

Last night as I was watching the Giants sleep walk through a winnable game I got a text from a friend: an old girlfriend of mine had passed away suddenly. I hadn’t seen her in 15 years but I was still saddened. Not enough to cry about it, just super bummed and distracted with thoughts of the past, feelings of nostalgia, stuff like that. I’ve actually even mentioned her here before, some of you might remember my Candlestick “rendezvous” story that happened on a random weekday night back in the 80’s. We only dated for about a year but it was an important time in my life. Anyway, I immediately had a better appreciation for where the hearts and minds of the players were last night. Not on the game, but with their brother Brandon Crawford and his wife. My thoughts are with him and his family today…..

1. chipower9 said, on April 14, 2017 at 9:00 am

Yes – thoughts of peace and comfort to Craw and his family. And sorry to hear about the passing of your past girlfriend, Craig.

Paul – thoughts are with you and yours in relation to your mom.

I still could not believe Crawford was there last night, AND that he took an AB late in the game. Yesterday’s game just had a “flat” feel to it. Well, hopefully our boys wash that off and get a W tonight.

2. chipower9 said, on April 14, 2017 at 9:13 am

Just saw where the great HOFer Lou Brock has been diagnosed with a form of blood cancer. Sad. Most here know that I grew-up in Oklahoma and was a big Cards fan as a kid. Brock was one of the players I idolized…along with Curt Flood and Bob Gibson. Wishing Brock the best in this latest challenge (he had a leg amputated due to diabetes a few years ago, too).

3. gianthead said, on April 14, 2017 at 9:38 am

It is a very odd feeling getting to almost 50, so close to Flav, that we are starting to have friends die. It is just very disconcerting but also that feeling of oddity because I am personally not fearful of when that moment comes but you and the Crawford have my sympathy.

And speaking of death…what about our Giants??? I am just very happy I drafted Greg Holland on my fantasy team!!!

4. zumiee said, on April 14, 2017 at 10:08 am

I didn’t realize there was a new thread up. I posted a bunch of rambling thoughts at the end of the previous thread. 🙂

• Flavor said, on April 14, 2017 at 10:27 am

re-post it. We ain’t going nowhere.

• zumiee said, on April 14, 2017 at 10:32 am

OK- I’m copying and pasting it on my phone, so this will be a little awkward. 🙂

zumiee on April 14, 2017 at 9:07 am
        Paul, we’re hoping for the best for your mom.

zumiee on April 14, 2017 at 9:32 am
        Speaking of moms, one of the great joys of my life is that my mom has become a baseball fan, and Giants fan, in her later years. She watches shows on the MLB Network, and she’ll sometimes watch more than one game a day. And don’t get her started on Casilla last season. 🙂

zumiee on April 14, 2017 at 9:39 am
        I’ve said it before- MLB teams are doing way better at marketing to women, and can do even more.
        But it has nothing to do with pace of play. My mom couldn’t care less about pace of play. It does explain why there are so many camera shots of kids in the stands. My mom loves those, and I’m sure many women love that in a broadcast.

zumiee on April 14, 2017 at 9:47 am
        It also connects with what Snarkk said last night. It’s important to know who the players are. It’s sad to me what the Atlanta tear-down and rebuild has done to my wife’s interest in baseball. She’s gotten into watching international soccer more than baseball now. And she used to follow the Braves very closely. They have a lot of work to do to get her back.

zumiee on April 14, 2017 at 9:48 am
        The Braves’ problem is…..where’s the rebuild? Is it actually happening?

zumiee on April 14, 2017 at 9:57 am
        The Braves showcase their new ballpark tonight. The clips I’ve seen of it so far are kind of underwhelming, IMO.

• gianthead said, on April 14, 2017 at 10:42 am

Everything about Atlanta IMO is very underwhelming…

• Lurker John said, on April 14, 2017 at 11:15 am

LOL. No shit.

5. Flavor said, on April 14, 2017 at 11:58 am

far be it from me to question the actions of a grieving family, but am I the only one who finds it strange that the Crawford’s have set up a gofundme page to pay for his SIL’s funeral? And of the five pics on the page it looks like he’s in at least 2 of them?

• Irish Kevin said, on April 14, 2017 at 12:09 pm

Well if it is just for the funeral, yeah that is strange, but if it is for the Husband/father and it will help with the kids, that is alright by me.

• unca_chuck said, on April 14, 2017 at 12:19 pm

Yeah, it’s for the ongoing raising of the kids/college fund type thing.

• djloo27 said, on April 14, 2017 at 12:41 pm

STRANGE???? It’s a fuckin’ outrage! Crawford could put an entire high school through college!
      Makes me want to trade that overweight greasy-haired tightwad fuck….

• gianthead said, on April 14, 2017 at 12:58 pm

Well Draculoo changed my mind on the subject…he makes a good point…

• zumiee said, on April 14, 2017 at 1:04 pm

Not a whole high school (check out college prices lately), but his point is well taken.

• Irish Kevin said, on April 14, 2017 at 1:20 pm

Well don’t forget Brandon has 3 young girls. I don’t think he could support two families. Plus the hands of other family members would start showing up.

• djloo27 said, on April 14, 2017 at 2:13 pm

He could support Texas…

6. zumiee said, on April 14, 2017 at 12:32 pm

Schwarber’s only hitting .200!! What!!???

7. zumiee said, on April 14, 2017 at 12:34 pm

Speaking of underwhelming: the Cubs’ ring. Not that great, IMO.

8. alleykat69 said, on April 14, 2017 at 12:52 pm

I don’t remember if I mentioned this is the past but both my parents passed away back in 2014 my mom on Freakin Mothers Dsy my dad 3 months later from a broken heart 💔 they were married for 65 years which is amazing e in these times. The drive up to Reno twice for me was the hardest time in my life as a 4 hr trip took 5-6 cause I had to pull over a few times from excessive crying full of emotions!!
    There in a happy place now buried next to each other in a Veterans Memorial Cemetery in Fernely Nevada as my dad and they draped was a vet and they draped his coffin with the American Flag and gave him a full honor treatment with military guns salute which made me and my sister so proud!!!RIP everyday Ernie&Dorothy you will never be forgotten for how truly wonderful parents you always were!!

• gianthead said, on April 14, 2017 at 1:00 pm

A great tribute to both…

• chipower9 said, on April 14, 2017 at 7:50 pm

Awesome tribute, Kat. From one vet to another, I salute your father.

9. Flavor said, on April 14, 2017 at 1:30 pm

AK— agreed, great tribute to your parents.
    Regarding the gofundme page, I guess I wouldn’t have an issue with it if they didn’t use pics of Craw to draw donations……

10. djloo27 said, on April 14, 2017 at 2:10 pm

Brandon Crawford is in year 2 of a 6yr/$75 million deal.
    The meal money alone from one road trip would pay for the funeral.
    WTF?????????????????????????????

• zumiee said, on April 14, 2017 at 2:22 pm

Well, let’s not hear you complaining about Bumgarner being vastly underpaid anymore. He makes more than Crawford. 🙂

• Macdog said, on April 14, 2017 at 5:07 pm

Maybe MadBum should start a GoFundme drive.

11. Macdog said, on April 14, 2017 at 2:19 pm

White Sox outfield tonight vs. Twins:

LF: Willy Garcia
    CF: Leury Garcia
    RF: Avisail Garcia

12. zumiee said, on April 14, 2017 at 2:38 pm

Pirates give up a walk, error, and hit-batsman to load the bases in the 9th.
    But….they still beat the Cubs!

• djloo27 said, on April 14, 2017 at 3:34 pm

I’m waiting almost an hour for her fuckin’ dress to fall off…

13. djloo27 said, on April 14, 2017 at 4:05 pm

The Gofundme page has a goal of $ 100,000. That is 2 games pay for Crawford this year. From 2018-2021 it will amount to 1 games pay. What in the fuck is going on???

• Flavor said, on April 14, 2017 at 4:27 pm

And when I checked earlier there was only $1100 donated. I hope BC hasn’t donated yet lol

• wilcojoe said, on April 14, 2017 at 7:36 pm

Not to mention Crawford’s brother in law is Gerrit Cole.

• djloo27 said, on April 14, 2017 at 9:37 pm

Great point, WJ. I absolutely cannot grasp what this family is doing in the midst of this heartbreaking tragedy…

14. Flavor said, on April 14, 2017 at 5:12 pm

I see Loo’s disbelief in all of this. I’m not saying Crawford has to pay for anything that’s up to him. But I am in a little disbelief that they are using Crawford’s face to get donations for his family from normal people. Run the gofundme page without his face if you’re gonna run a gofundme page. Either that, or as Loo indicated, 2 games pay would cover the whole thing and they wouldn’t have to go through all this fund raising stuff.

15. Flavor said, on April 14, 2017 at 5:57 pm

gofundme page is up to 11K

16. willedav said, on April 14, 2017 at 7:30 pm

Le Frogs!

17. chipower9 said, on April 14, 2017 at 7:47 pm

BOOM Marrero….

• xoot said, on April 14, 2017 at 7:57 pm

serious boom. what a drive

18. Flavor said, on April 14, 2017 at 8:01 pm

109mph off the bat, that’s a rocket ship

19. xoot said, on April 14, 2017 at 8:01 pm

Span’s artificial hips seems to be working ok

• willedav said, on April 14, 2017 at 8:14 pm

it was only a groundout into the shift, but Belt did move him into scoring position.
      Nice D to start the 3-6-1 too.

20. Irish Kevin said, on April 14, 2017 at 8:05 pm

Don’t know if it has been brought up yet, but where will Posey be when he comes back? I know he wants to catch. But for his over all health the Giants need to make a decision. I don’t remember where I read or heard it, the choices that were thrown out there are Posey at 1st, Belt to LF or Nunez to Left and Posey to 3rd. And of course Posey in LF.

• willedav said, on April 14, 2017 at 8:11 pm

NO to coaching by musical chairs. If this is multiple guess question, correct answer is none of above.

• Flavor said, on April 14, 2017 at 8:12 pm

Posey to 3rd or LF? Who threw that out there lol? He might play some first base when he comes back.

• Irish Kevin said, on April 14, 2017 at 8:31 pm

I thought he played 3rd in HS and College?

• Flavor said, on April 15, 2017 at 4:37 am

that doesn’t mean they would play him at the mlb level there. That would never, ever happen.

• chipower9 said, on April 14, 2017 at 10:03 pm

Posey played a number of positions in college…even closed some games. But the only positions he’ll play for the Giants are C and 1B. Posey will be back behind the dish, and probably spends most of his time there for the next couple of years.

21. xoot said, on April 14, 2017 at 8:13 pm

that was a beautiful DP, wasn’t it? Belt made a good throw, Crawford turned by just brushing his right foot against the side of the bag as he wound up to throw to Cueto, who covered 1B perfectly.

22. willedav said, on April 14, 2017 at 8:20 pm

Nice night for the much maligned OF so far. My early wild projection was Cueto goes 25-4 and takes the Cy away from Opie.
    Maybe he gets all the luck and runs scored by teammates Bum doesn’t.

• Irish Kevin said, on April 14, 2017 at 8:33 pm

just like Cain early in his career, Cain would pitch lights out and no run support

23. Flavor said, on April 14, 2017 at 8:20 pm

Craw says “Fuck the gofundme, I got bombs to hit”

24. djloo27 said, on April 14, 2017 at 8:36 pm

Terrible play by Panik. Deserves an E-4…

25. Lurker John said, on April 14, 2017 at 8:36 pm

WTF Panik.

26. xoot said, on April 14, 2017 at 8:39 pm

those two failed dps were ugly. finally one that worked

27. Lurker John said, on April 14, 2017 at 8:39 pm

3rd DP grounder is the charm. Fuck.

28. djloo27 said, on April 14, 2017 at 9:08 pm

Both Giant homers to LF measured under 380 feet. It’s not that fuckin’ hard…

29. xoot said, on April 14, 2017 at 9:12 pm

my son’s at the game, just above home plate. he texted me after Marrero’s HR. he was stoked

30. Lurker John said, on April 14, 2017 at 9:25 pm

what could the Rox catcher possibly be looking at on his wrist?

• xoot said, on April 14, 2017 at 9:27 pm

a small color-coded spread sheet. and he still needs direction from the dugout

• Lurker John said, on April 14, 2017 at 9:32 pm

LOL

31. Lurker John said, on April 14, 2017 at 9:32 pm

Wow, great AB.

32. Macdog said, on April 14, 2017 at 9:32 pm

Heck of an AB by BB.

33. unca_chuck said, on April 14, 2017 at 9:32 pm

Too funny . A foghat concert broke out during the game.

Hell of an AB by Belt there.

34. xoot said, on April 14, 2017 at 9:32 pm

the spontaneous cellphone lights throughout the park tonight as Belt battled just fucking sucked. as bad as the wave

35. willedav said, on April 14, 2017 at 9:33 pm

Belt! hard to f ing believe 2 out rally. Poor reliever threw a million pitches and got 2 guys out.
    10 just to get Cueto.

36. willedav said, on April 14, 2017 at 9:34 pm

” Gonzalez has a strong arm…” as it takes 3 bounces from short RF.

37. unca_chuck said, on April 14, 2017 at 9:35 pm

Shit throw from Cargo.

38. Lurker John said, on April 14, 2017 at 9:39 pm

OK, well Kruk just answered my question about the wrist chart. I don’t recall ever seeing in baseball at any level. WOW, great 2 out rally!

39. djloo27 said, on April 14, 2017 at 9:39 pm

Baseball fundamentals went out with high button shoes…

40. xoot said, on April 14, 2017 at 9:45 pm

the Giants just adjusted the lights so that the stands are dark, while the field is bright. without that change, the cellphone points of light bullshit wouldn’t’ve been so photogenic. I blame Krukow now. Keep the stands dark, however. I’ll be there soon. . . .

41. chipower9 said, on April 14, 2017 at 10:06 pm

Winner winner chicken dinner! Now win the fucking series tomorrow.

42. eddacker said, on April 14, 2017 at 11:01 pm

You flappers talking about gofundme Reminds me of a scene from a move, old college friends meet and start talking. A hedge fund guy and a chef. How you , marriage, kids and the hedge fund guy says: “Kids are expensive, $500K a year and we are barely making it – We bought a beach house in the Hamptons.”

Anyway the team is coming alive in later innings. Does not take much to get me going. Great game.

43. mrsprtdude said, on April 14, 2017 at 11:59 pm

Crawford and Cole should be humiliated if true they are counting on go fund me with 2 SUPER rich guys in the family. If true I can say Craw will be off my list of favorite players. What a fuck.

• djloo27 said, on April 15, 2017 at 5:01 am

I’m with you 100%. I wonder if a media person will call them out on it. Tough to do under the circumstances…

44. eddacker said, on April 15, 2017 at 12:35 am

Y’all have probably seen this before, but I had not. A video titled Barry Bonds without a bat.

He also has a tribute video to Jeff Francoeur.

45. Flavor said, on April 15, 2017 at 4:38 am

gofundme page about to hit 20K

46. Flavor said, on April 15, 2017 at 7:06 am

Ken Rosenthal‏Verified account @Ken_Rosenthal 1m1 minute ago
    #SFGiants’ Mike Morse getting closer. Leaving extended spring training Sunday to play for Class A San Jose (Triple A Sacramento on road).

• willedav said, on April 15, 2017 at 8:19 am

rather see about anyone else in the system. But I guess Giants are gonna activate him if he isn’t hurt. Marrero I guess odd man out. Nice night for him too, first ml bomb and a base hit to RF.