Dumbgarner

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 22, 2017

I love the guy, but for today that’s an accurate description. I don’t know nuthin’ bout rastlin’ cattle or ridin’ hogs (I think that’s what you call a motorcycle) but I know that if I was making millions of dollars to do something else I would take it easy on those non-baseball related activities. I don’t even know how to start a motorcycle. I think you push down hard on the peddle. So maybe I’m overly concerned with the activity as a hazard. But it SEEMS like a pretty dangerous thing to do. Some of the Giants were like “well, at least he was wearing a helmet.” Maybe that’s baseball speak for “He’s a dumbass.” I dunno.

Making millions a year is above my pay grade but it seems to me that you don’t just have a responsibility to yourself and your family. You’re responsible to your teammates and the owner who pays you. You are responsible to the networks and the fans without who you wouldn’t be making those millions.

This has essentially torpedoed the season. There is a finite number of these, at least for those of us who live and die some day. I have no problem being extremely irritated with him. Mad? Not mad I guess. Just irritated and disappointed…..

1. willedav said, on April 22, 2017 at 9:15 am

he has only himself to blame so he’ll be wearing the disappointment while rehabbing for a long time.
    It does give others an opportunity, especially in rotation, to step up and be counted. season is still 90% ahead of them, the entire team.

Posted this before but Kruk tells story of his days in Philly when team wasn’t going well and offense in particular was struggling. there was a team meeting called and Kruk and his buddies are expecting the hitters to get worst of it. Instead mgr. calls out the pitchers–hey the hitters are struggling, it’s up to you to pick them up.

2. alleykat69 said, on April 22, 2017 at 9:23 am

I’m sure Bum straps a saddle on his cattle on the farm and rides them around without a helmet so in his warped thinking a dirt bike is no difference…except he did put a Giants helmet on the bike run at least..

3. Macdog said, on April 22, 2017 at 9:45 am

That sums it up, from the headline on down.

4. Flavor said, on April 22, 2017 at 10:16 am

I’m down with guys getting a shot, *next man up* and all that. But not really for this team. *Next man up* works when the foundation is set and you need to switch out some peripheral pieces. But for a team like the Giants with such obvious deficits on offense, and a starting rotation that was shaky at best to begin with, I don’t really see how *next man up* works for this particular situation.
    We needed Bum to be the lighthouse while the team found it’s way. Now I just feel like we’re drifting around in a darkened ocean with no land in sight……

5. zumiee said, on April 22, 2017 at 10:34 am

All of the above is well said, but…..sports do have the ability to surprise us. Maybe the team rallies around this and finds the spark they had in the first half of last season. I can’t even remember the names of some of the guys that stepped in and made big contributions before those same guys eventually slid back into obscurity.

6. blade3colorado said, on April 22, 2017 at 12:05 pm

Maybe only Flavor and Wilco will understand this post . . . Mildly chuckling about Fanduel giving Gorky a $2900 price tag and worse, Denard Span, a $3500 price tag. Both of these guys stats aren’t even replacement level, which at Fanduel is probably $2000 for Gorky and maybe $2200 to $2500 for Span at a normal ball park. Their price tag is obviously at a premium due to playing at Sherpa Field. Gerardo Parra, is at $3400 and is Babe Ruth this year compared to the invisible Span.

7. Lurker John said, on April 22, 2017 at 12:19 pm

It’s funny, three weeks ago we didn’t think the Giants rotation was shaky at best, it was supposed to be a strength, the strength. Bum getting hurt sucks, but I see no reason to vilify him. Dirt biking can be dangerous, so can driving or walking across the street. When you ride, it’s not a matter of if you’ll go down but when. I rode for years, and the sport is inherently safe. 99% of the time you get up, dust yourself off and get back on the bike. it’s a hell of a lot safer than riding on the street. It’s also a blast.

In hindsight, it’s easy to say he didn’t exercise very good judgement, but what’s done is done. Attacking where he’s from or what his perceived level of sophistication is accomplishes nothing, it just makes the attacker look petty. Nobody feels worse about it than him.

Willie is right, 90% of the season is left and the silver lining may be that guys who wouldn’t have had a chance for a while will now be fast-tracked and get their shot. We’ll see what happens. Bum is slated to be back this season. If that holds his entire season is not lost.

• snarkk said, on April 22, 2017 at 4:15 pm

He was an idiot taking that risk given his position. Maybe he violated a contract clause, too. I don’t feel a damn bit reticent about saying it, because it’s the truth…

8. Flavor said, on April 22, 2017 at 12:38 pm

That guy we traded for Nunie got blasted by the tigers today.

• Lurker John said, on April 22, 2017 at 12:40 pm

I guess the Twins don’t have as big an issue promoting young guys as the Giants do.

• Lurker John said, on April 22, 2017 at 12:55 pm

Mejilla has a hell of a good arm, mid-90’s FB and some good looking off-speed stuff. I can see why the Twins like him. He struck out the side guys in the first, 2 with nasty off-speed pitches and Victor Martinez on a good FB. Would’ve been interesting to see him in a G’s uni.

9. djloo27 said, on April 22, 2017 at 1:06 pm

Can’t get into Madison Square Garden for under $350.00 tonight on the secondary market.
    And it’s only Round One…

• Macdog said, on April 22, 2017 at 1:17 pm

Come join me, I’m surrounded by Rangers fans at work.

• djloo27 said, on April 22, 2017 at 2:54 pm

Saw the Bruins win the Cup at MSG in 1972. Got in with no ticket and a $5 bill for the gate man…

• Flavor said, on April 22, 2017 at 1:40 pm

$350 to see a bunch of pussies skate away from the opposition? Rip off.

• djloo27 said, on April 22, 2017 at 2:45 pm

They’re actually standing up for themselves in this series.
        They’ve been almost unrecognizable…

10. zumiee said, on April 22, 2017 at 1:43 pm

“Dodgers starting pitchers not named Clayton Kershaw are averaging just 4.82 innings per start this season.”

• zumiee said, on April 22, 2017 at 1:44 pm

Their bullpen leaked oil yesterday.

• Flavor said, on April 22, 2017 at 1:54 pm

Romo looked to be in fine form for them.

11. Flavor said, on April 22, 2017 at 1:56 pm

Andrew Baggarly‏Verified account @extrabaggs 1m1 minute ago
    Tonight the Giants are featuring a major league outfield (Span, Marrero, Gorkys) that is hitting a combined .150 with 1 homer this season.

• blade3colorado said, on April 22, 2017 at 2:07 pm

I thought it was lower. Span’s .204 BA is doing some heavy lifting to bring up Gorkys .065 BA.

• zumiee said, on April 22, 2017 at 2:28 pm

It’s hard to watch.

• zumiee said, on April 22, 2017 at 2:11 pm
      • zumiee said, on April 22, 2017 at 2:13 pm

That’s me watching this outfield now.

• djloo27 said, on April 22, 2017 at 2:50 pm

They’ll probably go 7 for 12 with 2 HRS tonight…

• Lurker John said, on April 22, 2017 at 3:12 pm

They need to.

12. alleykat69 said, on April 22, 2017 at 2:31 pm

You have to laugh to keep from crying watching are outfield play!
    Evelyn you know you missed the cutoff that cost a run? I’m sorry I’m sorry Mr Duggan..
    Are you crying 😭??
    Their’s no crying in baseball ⚾️ Their no crying?
    Umpire….lighten up Jimmy
    Jimmy.. You know you look like a penis head wearing your ump outfit?? Your outta here Jimmy!!!!

• zumiee said, on April 22, 2017 at 2:41 pm

Yes, Hanks will have to get us through today. 🙂

13. djloo27 said, on April 22, 2017 at 3:04 pm

I think it’s inevitable that video of Bum’s accident will be surfacing soon.
    Seems like every moment of everyone’s life is being recorded by someone…

14. djloo27 said, on April 22, 2017 at 3:22 pm

Keith Hernandez comment during endless challenge review of close play at first:
    “Scintillating TV”
    Then after they questionably overturned it, in favor of his Mets no less:
    “What a joke”

15. Flavor said, on April 22, 2017 at 3:53 pm

I liked the Rangers better when I thought they were pussies getting kicked in the face all game without retaliation…….

16. snarkk said, on April 22, 2017 at 4:25 pm

I’m shaking my head at tonight’s outfield. Has to be one of the worst ever trotted out in Giants unis. Some of the 70s versions were bad, but given the wherewithal of this organization now, it could be the worst. The fans should be up in arms at this weak sauce for a team in the top 5 revenue in MLB. An insult to the great SF outfields of the past…

• blade3colorado said, on April 22, 2017 at 4:57 pm

Giants had this kid Senzatela on the ropes the last time they faced him on the 16th, but he pitched brilliantly for the next 6 innings after his 1st inning jitters. Giants have been gifted Sherpa Field, so if this outfield can’t make hay against him this game, I’m all for bringing up whomever from the minors. A, B, C, D, or Plan E. Whatever.

• djloo27 said, on April 22, 2017 at 5:00 pm

This one was pretty ugly:

• zumiee said, on April 22, 2017 at 5:07 pm

Yay, Davvy breaks up the no-hitter! That would have been embarrassing to get no-hit by Sutton.

17. willedav said, on April 22, 2017 at 4:56 pm

OK, there are 5 full months of baseball left. Dodgers are 2 up on SF, so their magic number is like 140 something. “torpedoed” seems a little much.

If bum were to miss 2 months, for sake of argument that would be a total of 12 starts. If his replacement gives up a run ish more in ERA per game then Giants would need to score say 15 more runs total over course of 2 months to win 8 of those 12.
    I know he means a lot to them, but he’s not an every day player.

They scored 5 last night and lost because among other things Pence lost a ball and Cueto gave up a slam, which happens never.
    I’m not watching golf or premier soccer over this.

• Flavor said, on April 22, 2017 at 5:11 pm

i appreciate the breakdown. It’s hard for me to be optimistic about this.

18. blade3colorado said, on April 22, 2017 at 5:07 pm

Here’s a bet . . . Let’s say that Gorkys and Marrero go “ofer” for the weekend (this is a prerequisite to the bet, i.e., if they get a hit, no bet), who wants to bet $25 the Giants call someone up from the minors to replace Marrero (probably) and/or Gorkys (unlikely)?

• Flavor said, on April 22, 2017 at 5:11 pm

who would take that bet? I think we would all be OFFERING it, lol

• blade3colorado said, on April 22, 2017 at 5:12 pm

POTD

• blade3colorado said, on April 22, 2017 at 5:13 pm

I was hoping our eternal optimists Willie or Chi would take it.

• willedav said, on April 22, 2017 at 5:18 pm

I’m sure neither of these guys long for ml baseball. Mac once he gets some ABs will take LF, CF another story.
      OF will sort itself out and up to rest of guys in there (all good hitters) to do what they can do.

19. zumiee said, on April 22, 2017 at 5:15 pm

Span rolls over a 4-3 put-out many a time.

20. willedav said, on April 22, 2017 at 5:15 pm

Loo’s boys actually giving Le Frogs, hated original 6 rivals, all they can handle. they are at home, where meltdowns have occurred in past, but should be great game. I’ll check it out around Giants/Warriors.
    Btw, O Canada is a nice anthem and NYPD guy singing both of them did a great job.

• Macdog said, on April 22, 2017 at 5:48 pm

All they could handle? Rangers finished 1 point behind the Canadiens in the regular season while playing in a much tougher division.

• willedav said, on April 22, 2017 at 6:08 pm

fan of the new format? did it help or hurt Rangers?

• Macdog said, on April 22, 2017 at 6:19 pm

You’d probably have to ask Loo.

21. Flavor said, on April 22, 2017 at 5:50 pm

can you imagine if they could somehow morph the speed of Gorks with the power of Marrero? You’d have, like, almost a replacement level hitter……

22. zumiee said, on April 22, 2017 at 5:51 pm

Span down.

• Flavor said, on April 22, 2017 at 5:59 pm

if we lose a few more outfielders maybe we see Shaw and Arroyo? At this point I’m down with that.

23. blade3colorado said, on April 22, 2017 at 6:08 pm

Pathetic.

24. Lurker John said, on April 22, 2017 at 6:09 pm

Gorkys still not at .100 after a hit in his first AB.

25. Lurker John said, on April 22, 2017 at 6:19 pm

This guy ain’t fooling nobody.

26. zumiee said, on April 22, 2017 at 6:24 pm

Fun fact:
    Blackmon has a 38 Special song as his walk-up music.

• zumiee said, on April 22, 2017 at 6:29 pm

Oops- that’s not correct. It’s by a band called The Outfield.

• Flavor said, on April 22, 2017 at 6:37 pm

one of my favorite bands from high school. Seriously. I loved the Outfield.

• Macdog said, on April 22, 2017 at 6:40 pm

I’d take The Outfield over our outfield.

• Flavor said, on April 22, 2017 at 6:47 pm

MacDog that is fast tracked to the POTD. Well done.

27. blade3colorado said, on April 22, 2017 at 6:33 pm

Gorkys found a way to get on base.

28. zumiee said, on April 22, 2017 at 6:37 pm

Maeda’s got his ERA up to 8 in the Dodger game.

• blade3colorado said, on April 22, 2017 at 6:56 pm

Dodgers are short handed too. Last night they used 5 or 6 relievers.

29. Lurker John said, on April 22, 2017 at 6:49 pm

Atta kid, Joe.

30. Lurker John said, on April 22, 2017 at 7:06 pm

These outfielders are beyond embarrassing, they flat don’t belong in the majors. You guys want to talk about judgement, the fact that SabeEvans thought going into the season with these jokers really makes me question theirs.

31. Lurker John said, on April 22, 2017 at 7:15 pm

Stratton looks good.

32. Macdog said, on April 22, 2017 at 7:27 pm

Here he comes…

From Baggs: Drew Stubbs hit a homer in the 1st inning for Sacramento.

• Lurker John said, on April 22, 2017 at 7:40 pm

Bring his ass up.

33. snarkk said, on April 22, 2017 at 8:04 pm

Is there a Mercy Rule available?…

34. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on April 22, 2017 at 8:06 pm

I remember not too long ago when we’d all welcome these games against the Rox and D-backs, good opportunities to get fat off the weak divisional opponents. Unfortunately, Sabevans has, through their maddening, puzzling inaction, turned the Giants into a weak divisional opponent….

• zumiee said, on April 22, 2017 at 8:13 pm

The Rockies and D-Backs are ready to get some payback this season.

• zumiee said, on April 22, 2017 at 8:14 pm

Or “give” some payback. Not sure of the correct verb. 🙂

35. xoot said, on April 22, 2017 at 8:13 pm

the Giants have four, maybe five position players who should be legit all star contenders, and four pitchers. the OF is absurd, true. But still. How can they continue to play like the last place team that they are? what an April

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on April 22, 2017 at 8:17 pm

Puzzling indeed. Previous years, the team seemed to be a real *team*, everyone’s got each other’s backs, yada yada. That trait seems missing with this group. Fortunately, up until now, it’s just a bad penny April. Plenty of time to shed that moniker for the season, but they really need to act soon.

36. zumiee said, on April 22, 2017 at 8:21 pm

Well, at least the Dodgers are getting their butts kicked, too, tonight.
    That always makes me feel a little better.

37. snarkk said, on April 22, 2017 at 8:22 pm

Having seen Bobby Bonds in person a few times when he played A ball many moons ago, I can tell you these outfielders being run out there make me ill, thinking of great Giant OFers of the past. DFA Gorkys, Hill, DL Span for the 10 day shorty, get rid of these guys and bring some bodies up. Nobody is going to claim the 40-man DFAs, they can go right back to Sac as off the 40 players. Time to hit the re-set button, because the wheels have spun off this Chariot.

BTW, DFA Ramirez as soon as he gets back to the hotel. That performance tonight caps his merde performance since season start…

38. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on April 22, 2017 at 8:25 pm

And in other news, The Miami Herald reports that former congressman Frank Artiles and his PAC, Veterans for Conservative Principals, hired a former Hooters “calendar girl” and a Playboy model with no political experience to be consultants for the PAC.

• zumiee said, on April 22, 2017 at 8:34 pm

The congressman believes in often poling the electorate.
      Ah, that joke is quite old….

• snarkk said, on April 22, 2017 at 8:35 pm

I am certain that 435 former and current Hooters girls and Playboy models would do a much better job at handling the Nation’s business than the present Congress…

39. blade3colorado said, on April 22, 2017 at 8:31 pm

I’ve been watching the Sherpas play since ’97. That pitcher (I can’t even remember/spell his name) who pitched like Cy Young tonight? He went 7 innings and that’s as rare as Trump not Tweeting for 2 days.

40. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on April 22, 2017 at 8:31 pm

I can remember some OFers that weren’t exactly stellar but were somewhat serviceable… Marvin Benard, Stan Javier, Nate the Great… Of course, they all had Bonds out there in LF to compensate, so the overall OF didn’t seem so weak. Pence alone can no longer possibly counter the balance of this embarrassing collection the FO has put together. You don’t often see major trades this early in the season, but I really hope the FO isn’t waiting until July.

41. snarkk said, on April 22, 2017 at 8:31 pm

The way this season looks, we should probably hold a Flapalooza at the SJ Giants. When I went to a game with blade and willed a few years back, it was a pretty good time…

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on April 22, 2017 at 8:43 pm

Minor league ballgames are fun. I used to go PawSox games in Pawtucket, good times. Mac would know the Somerset Patriots, not the minors but an Independent League team, great fun like family reunion picnics. But not to worry, Tom, by August, the Giants will be fine. The Giants will be fine. The Giants will be fine….

• blade3colorado said, on April 22, 2017 at 8:47 pm

Ya know snarkk . . . That was a fun time and IMO, back to the roots of what the game is all about. Down with doing that instead if you wish.

• willedav said, on April 22, 2017 at 9:26 pm

that was a great time indeed.

42. chipower9 said, on April 22, 2017 at 9:45 pm

Fuck, glad I missed the game tonight. Did see a 3rd inning score, 3-zip Rox and said “this doesn’t look good.”

Warriors on the other hand are making it interesting.

43. chipower9 said, on April 22, 2017 at 9:46 pm

Sharks getting ready to exit the chase for Lord Stanley’s Cup.

44. unca_chuck said, on April 22, 2017 at 9:54 pm

Well, this is getting reminiscent of the 49ers. It sure is freeing up my time. Watched the 1st inning, saw a double wasted, and a 3 run payback in the bottom of the 1st. Click.

little while later, 6-1, then I see 12-3. I figure we lost by 2 touchdowns at this point.

The dubs? Down 3 players AND their coach, they fight back to take the lead down by 17.

• snarkk said, on April 22, 2017 at 10:09 pm

If Dubs win this one, it will be one of the great, recent wins in playoff history…

45. unca_chuck said, on April 22, 2017 at 9:58 pm

Sharkies better pull their goalie. oh well. they did.

46. chipower9 said, on April 22, 2017 at 9:59 pm

Warriors are unreal. Damn that team can play some D!

47. chipower9 said, on April 22, 2017 at 10:02 pm

See ya Sharkies! Time to bust out the golf clubs and fishing poles….

48. chipower9 said, on April 22, 2017 at 10:13 pm

Curry with a dagger to the heart…

49. snarkk said, on April 22, 2017 at 10:21 pm

Amazing win by Dubs. Hope it doesn’t take too big a toll on the dudes who got it done…

50. willedav said, on April 22, 2017 at 10:21 pm

Finally, someone I watched won tonite.

51. unca_chuck said, on April 22, 2017 at 10:33 pm

The only saving grace for the Warriors is that these playoffs have a shitload of down time. KD will be needed down the stretch so he’ll be fresh. And having he and Barnes and especially Livingston back will be a big help.

Steve Kerr too.