Shots in the Arm

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 27, 2017

Last night during the 5th inning or the 120th inning or whatever I got so board I started watching highlights from the 2014 season and got stuck watching the Morse bomb over and over. That was just an incredible home run and moment. I almost re-posted the clip just to jazz up the blog a little but you’ve all seen it 1000 times and I didn’t want to start clogging up the comment section with bulky videos. And then somehow, miraculously, that video from the past came to life in the present….

Screenshot 2017-04-27 at 5.37.12 AM

He had a lot of the same excited mannerisms in last night’s trip around the bases that he had that night in 2014: the raised hands after the swing, the *facial party* he has rounding second, and that awkward arm gyration thing he does after he crosses home plate…..

Arroyo and Morse. We needed that.

1. Lurker John said, on April 27, 2017 at 6:13 am

Great win! I’m really happy for Arroyo having some success after the call-up. And Morse, he also brings a lot of positive energy to the club. Arroyo’s homer really raised the team from the dead, because that’s exactly what they looked like up to that point. If they were looking for a desperately needed shot of energy from Arroyo and Morse, mission accomplished.

I love seeing Arroyo being the first guy sprinting out of the dugout after Pence’s SF. There’s nothing like youthful enthusiasm. Go Giants!

2. alleykat69 said, on April 27, 2017 at 6:20 am

Well we’ve been waiting for some bombs for awhile and the hairless kid & the grizzled vet supplied it! Great comeback win that was sparked by the odd couple!!

3. chipower9 said, on April 27, 2017 at 6:27 am

First – thanks to the esteemed DJ Loo for the Jim Morrison wake-up call last night! I appreciate it brother. So, I wake-up, can’t fall back to sleep, check the phone (score) and it is fucking 3-3, 10th inning. Of course my tired ass HAD TO get outta bed and watch the game. Thank goodness I had the game recording, so after Pence put the nail in the heart of the hated bumbinos of la la land, I had to go back and watch Arroyo and Morse’s bombs. Wow!

That is the MOST satisfying win I can remember in a looong time!

Then on the drive this morning, Elizabeth Cook (my morning drive DJ this fine morning) fires-up ZZ Tops Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers. That song encapsulates how I felt last night, and this morning…so I had to crank that mother up!

Damn – let’s get a big series win here, today, boys!

4. unca_chuck said, on April 27, 2017 at 7:14 am

The pre-disco ZZ is always welcome

• chipower9 said, on April 27, 2017 at 7:47 am

Love ZZ, Charlie. I first saw them early-70s in a small venue in Amarillo, TX, around the time Rio Grande Mud was released. Also saw them at the Cow Palace around the time that Fandango was released (fuzzy guitars and huge stage with lights/pyrotechnics). Both shows were incredible in their own ways.

Agree – don’t care for some of the later stuff…but their early stuff was kick-ass…

5. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 27, 2017 at 8:39 am

Cold night at the yard. I sat in the bleachers before the game and powered down a cha cha bowl. I went with the staff recommended mix of chipotle AND bbq sauce. Thumbs up on that one.

The club really was a lifeless bunch of walking dead from the 1st through 5th. The most exciting thing going on was a 40 year old man in the row in front of me almost mixing it up with a group of young pups over a stolen cell phone. He was clearly outnumbered and lucky that it went down right in front of SFPDs finest.

The 6th inning on was captured quite well by the local press. Arroyo’s bomb jolted the team and Morse got the crowd soooo pumped with that bomb. Pence’s epic ab was icing on the cake. Heading back up the peninsula for today’s game. Time to step on the gas and win this series.

Go Giants!

• Flavor said, on April 27, 2017 at 8:45 am

great summary. Enjoy the today.

• chipower9 said, on April 27, 2017 at 9:52 am

Great re-cap, Dirt. Thanks, brother. Let’s get that series win! BEAT LA!

6. Macdog said, on April 27, 2017 at 9:00 am

Dirt, cool recap, what a great game to attend, bring back another W!

That really was an epic AB by Pence, fouling off all those high pitches before he got one he could pull for the winner. I saw this tweet from a Dodgers beat guy and found it funny:

Like most people rooting for the Dodgers tonight, Dave Roberts would have liked to see some variety on the pitch sequence to Hunter Pence.

7. Flavor said, on April 27, 2017 at 9:05 am

It was interesting that dodger pitchers just kept throwing heat to Morse and the same pitch to Pence. You can get both of those guys out throwing bendy shit but I guess they got stubborn.

• snarkk said, on April 27, 2017 at 9:14 am

Yeah, I kept waiting for the slider away to get Pence fishing, but it never happened…

8. chipower9 said, on April 27, 2017 at 9:56 am

Yes – I was so pumped going back and watching the two bombs, and got to see the 10th live. Thanks again to Loo for the wake-up call! 😜

Great AB by Pence. To take it to a full count, bases juiced, no outs, AND against your hated rivals…well hell, it just doesn’t get much better than that.

I am off early today for a fucking passport appointment at the post office at 12:30. Will T the game up to record, and make sure that Gail understands that when we get back to the ranch…my ass is watching baseball…nothing more, nothing less! BEAT LA!

9. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on April 27, 2017 at 10:05 am

“We needed that.” Yes we did. Dirt, so cool you were there and going back for more. What we saw last night was a) the future…. baseball is a funny game, but you gotta think Arroyo is here to stay… and b) the past… a flash back to 2014. Man, I felt 3 years younger just watching Morse (or Morris, if you’re Kuiper) hit that bomb and round the bases with his arm/fist pump whatever that thing is he does. Homers, baby. Doh!……. When the team is down, we’re always looking for an “up”. May this one light the fire and continue into sustainability….

10. blade3colorado said, on April 27, 2017 at 10:26 am

Moore has sucked this season, with a strikeout rate of only 16%. However, 2 of his shitty performances were at Chase and Nepal. That being said, the Bums truly are piss poor against southpaws and they’re playing in the phone park. Consequently, Moore should pitch very, very well this afternoon. Bring home another win Dirt!

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on April 27, 2017 at 10:32 am

Agree, this is an important start for Moore. Guy’s got the talent and he’ll likely be very key to the team’s success this season.

• Macdog said, on April 27, 2017 at 10:34 am

Moore also had a crappy game at home vs. Rox, maybe that team just has his number. But yeah, it’ll be a big letdown if he doesn’t have a good outing to follow up last night’s thriller.

• djloo27 said, on April 27, 2017 at 10:57 am

“It will be a killer, and a chiller, and a thriller, when I get the gorilla in Manila.” – Muhammad Ali

11. djloo27 said, on April 27, 2017 at 11:02 am

They have an awful record, a hideous outfield and Bum is in a sling for who knows how long.
    Last night did not raise my hopes in the least, but I can’t help watching and rooting.
    I remain a black and orange psychopath…

• blade3colorado said, on April 27, 2017 at 11:04 am

Agree. One of the best games I have seen in quite awhile, but this team has so many issues going forward. See what’s what going forward.

• djloo27 said, on April 27, 2017 at 11:23 am

Remember how awful they were on your road trip with Chi last year? I don’t think you guys saw a win.
        If San Dawg hadn’t hung on till Sunday it would have been a complete wipeout for the Flapalooza…

• zumiee said, on April 27, 2017 at 11:17 am

As the French General Foch wrote to his commanding officer during World War I:
      “My center is giving way, my right is retreating, situation excellent, I am attacking.”
      🙂

• alleykat69 said, on April 27, 2017 at 11:19 am

Well Bumgarner can sit around and watch Slingblade a few times if gets bored..

• zumiee said, on April 27, 2017 at 11:21 am

• zumiee said, on April 27, 2017 at 11:22 am

Who doesn’t like french fried potaters?

• chipower9 said, on April 27, 2017 at 12:50 pm

I’m psyching right along with ya, Loo!

12. djloo27 said, on April 27, 2017 at 11:25 am

I understand they put mayonnaise on fries in some places.
    I cant fathom that…

• zumiee said, on April 27, 2017 at 11:36 am

Yikes.

• Flavor said, on April 27, 2017 at 11:40 am

It’s fuckin’ awesome

• chipower9 said, on April 27, 2017 at 12:51 pm

Amsterdam – mayo and some add a dash of mustard. Pass the ketchup, please!

• alleykat69 said, on April 27, 2017 at 12:54 pm

I can’t even fathom ketchup on a hotdog!
      As Clint Eastwood said in Sudden Impact to one of the dumbshit inspectors at a crime scene..
      I can handle the murders, the rapist, the scumbags etc,
      “But watching you stuff your face with that hotdog with ketchup on it that just wrong!
      “Nobody I mean Nobody puts ketchup on a hotdog!!!”

• chipower9 said, on April 27, 2017 at 1:06 pm

I was talking fries, Kat. Dogs – I go mustard and pickles, a few onions. Add kraut if it is a polish or brat.

• Lurker John said, on April 27, 2017 at 6:37 pm

Flavor is right, it’s awesome. Don’t knock it til you try it.

13. alleykat69 said, on April 27, 2017 at 12:36 pm

This is good Zumie,I’ll do the sarcasm jokes and you punch up the videos. We make a good team like Dean Martin& Jerry Lewis..

14. chipower9 said, on April 27, 2017 at 12:57 pm

Let’s get that run back, and then some. Pissed that I have this damned passport appointment, but it has been scheduled for about two months.

15. blade3colorado said, on April 27, 2017 at 1:34 pm

Loo, I rarely catch you when you’re wrong, but regarding your 11:23am post . . . That was actually a Saturday game where San Dawg and little dawg tasted victory, 2-1. In fact, Casilla got the win in extra innings (which is why I remember it). Chi and I met you, Mac, and Dawg the night before, on Friday, where the Giants lost the 3-2 nail biter to the Yanks.

Regarding the rest of your post, I was already suspecting a bummer trip. If I recall correctly, they had already started off the 2nd half getting swept by the Friars before their horrendous Flapalooza road trip.

• Macdog said, on April 27, 2017 at 1:57 pm

If I remember right, San Dawg & Son skipped the Saturday game and went to the Sunday game, which the Giants lost. I think they then went to see GN’R at MetLife Stadium.

• blade3colorado said, on April 27, 2017 at 2:16 pm

You’re right Mac . . . I remember saying that the Flabola virus is in remission after the Saturday game. Here’s what Peter said:

“Trev and I are still here in NYC and will be at the game tomorrow. We went to a Japanese version of the musical Chicago tonight (hey, the tickets were half price and Lincoln Center is a block away… and luckily we were entertained by the show) and we are in the midst of serious talks about going to Guns n Roses/Lenny Kravitz tomorrow at Met Life Stadium AFTER the Giants game. Trev is actually the driving force on that crazy idea. Glad the Giants broke the ice today, but we were bummed to hear we are not getting Cueto tomorrow after all.
        Me cast as Mr. Blonde? Might not be a bad call as I am somewhat obsessed with that character and the Ramsay Bolton/Theon Greyjoy story line on GOT.
        Took a bike ride all around Central Park today. Many of you may know this already, but there is a dedicated bike path that goes in one direction all around the park, and it’s pretty cool–a leisurely pace completes a lap in about 30-40 minutes. I stopped for about 20 minutes to check out a band that was busking in the middle of the park, playing some Hardly/Strictly type stuff that I think Zum and my brother would both love. Worked for me too, as I am fairly enthralled watching anybody sing and play a stringed instrument up close. 3 dudes playing multiple instruments…fiddle, guitar, banjo, something that maybe looked like a mandolin. Name of the band is “The Good Morning Nags.” I guess they play all around NYC. I bought their CD for $10 to give to my brother.
        Trev and I also did the Freedom Tower observation deck earlier, which is pretty damn awesome.
        Fine dining? Not exactly. We did have some swank breakfast focaccia at my favorite local Italian place this morning, but then we were in a time crunch, so it was hot dogs at Gray’s Papaya for dinner, and yeah, we hit our favorite .99-a-slice pizza place after Chicago. It ain’t the best pizza we’ve ever had, but it’s far from the worst and it’s a great people watching spot right on Broadway near the theatre where Colbert does his show.”

16. Irish Kevin said, on April 27, 2017 at 1:54 pm

Beautiful day at the park. WordPress needs to come into the 21st century, I should be able to post pics!!

17. zumiee said, on April 27, 2017 at 2:01 pm

Bochy continuing to bat Nunie third…..it’s that stubbornness that Bochy has sometimes. I know it’s part of Bochy’s “long game” philosophy of wanting to show confidence in Nunie, but it’s brutal having someone struggle that much in the 3-hole, arguably the most important spot in the batting order.

• alleykat69 said, on April 27, 2017 at 2:27 pm

Nunie,4 hits in his last 40 AB’s yeah that’s a .100 avg and he’s batting 3rd??? Wtf??Come on Bruce lay off the vino please!

18. alleykat69 said, on April 27, 2017 at 2:02 pm

Yeah I thought you were Chi,I was just moving on to another dumb joke!
    But still nobody in their right mind should slobber a bun full of ketchup on a Doggie😫

19. zumiee said, on April 27, 2017 at 2:03 pm

I don’t like ketchup at all, on anything. And rarely do I put mayo on anything. I’m all in on mustard, though.

20. Macdog said, on April 27, 2017 at 2:29 pm

Arroyeah!

21. chipower9 said, on April 27, 2017 at 2:30 pm

Fuck Yeah! I really like this kid!

22. chipower9 said, on April 27, 2017 at 2:31 pm

Get greedy!

23. Macdog said, on April 27, 2017 at 2:35 pm

Nats have scored 11 in 7th inning, Rox getting humbled the last three games.

24. chipower9 said, on April 27, 2017 at 2:45 pm

Gimme some Moore of that!

25. zumiee said, on April 27, 2017 at 2:50 pm

Less Gorkys please. The Giants should never be “encouraged” by anything he does at the plate, and think he needs more starts.

• zumiee said, on April 27, 2017 at 2:53 pm

By the way, if you want to know what the original Agent OOO is up to; Adrianza is in the Twins organization, and he strained an oblique in Spring Training and will be out until sometime in May.

26. blade3colorado said, on April 27, 2017 at 3:16 pm

Nats have scored 42 runs the last 3 days, including an 11 run 7th inning today. Unreal. Baseball should be prohibited in outer space and Colorado.

• gianthead said, on April 27, 2017 at 3:31 pm

Why we all know that the Rockies will never win squat..

27. gianthead said, on April 27, 2017 at 3:30 pm

Why again is Pence batting leadoff???? Does Bichy need a brain scan???

• blade3colorado said, on April 27, 2017 at 4:18 pm

Because no one else can??? lulz

28. Flavor said, on April 27, 2017 at 4:12 pm

Jesus, I only caught the box score but our BP seems to have completely fallen apart again

29. Macdog said, on April 27, 2017 at 4:15 pm

We’ll always have last night.

• pawliekokonuts said, on April 27, 2017 at 8:42 pm

sly movie reference there, John

30. blade3colorado said, on April 27, 2017 at 4:17 pm

Takeaway from the last week . . . Get rid of Okert; Gearin on borrowed time (WHIP 1.58); play Specs more; play Nunez less; and, give 3rd base to Arroyo.

31. blade3colorado said, on April 27, 2017 at 4:19 pm

Our roster should be called “Swiss Cheese.”

32. gianthead said, on April 27, 2017 at 4:25 pm

Well if you all told me after Sunday that we would take two out of the first against FHeadFodgers and have the game at 1-1 Going to the bottom of the 9th in Game 4 O would you all stop smoking the crack…so not disappointed about losing the last game in the 10th with bullpen losing it.

I think we have to get rid of Gorkys and Stubbs (what a joke) and see what Slater and Donger can do…

• blade3colorado said, on April 27, 2017 at 4:30 pm

Agree GH. I am ready for more replacements, especially Donger.

33. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 27, 2017 at 4:59 pm

The Giants had their chances but the offense just didn’t do the little things to win it. With the huge lulls in offensive output it seems like the front office’s approach of average dependant hitters has caught up to them. Nunez and Gorky are useless. Posey’s slappy .360 average should be in The 3 hole.

The positives for me were that Moore pitched really well today, Belt is in a funk but looks serviceable in LF and Arroyo was spraying hard hit balls all over the place. Frustrating day at the yard.

34. Irish Kevin said, on April 27, 2017 at 5:11 pm

If I never see Gerrin pitch another inning it can’t come soon enough.

• Lurker John said, on April 27, 2017 at 6:51 pm

Gearrin sucks. I know the pen had been good before today, but I still have no confidence in them. I can imagine how Bochy feels about them.

• djloo27 said, on April 27, 2017 at 9:12 pm

Was it necessary to parade all of them in the last inning?

35. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 27, 2017 at 5:39 pm

Also, I don’t get why Hundley is so susceptible to the delayed steal. That’s happened to him 2 or 3 times now.

• Lurker John said, on April 27, 2017 at 6:52 pm

Wasn’t it the Rockies who abused him 3-4 times with the delayed steals too? He just kept falling for it.

• djloo27 said, on April 27, 2017 at 9:07 pm

He seems to have a delayed reaction to them – it’s perfectly understandable…

36. pawliekokonuts said, on April 27, 2017 at 8:10 pm

In two (two!) mirrored swings of the bat, and two joy-filled gambols around all the bases, Mr. Morse Code 38 has secured footage in the eternal highlight reel of Giants franchise history.

• djloo27 said, on April 27, 2017 at 8:40 pm

Your boy did it in one swing:

• pawliekokonuts said, on April 27, 2017 at 8:43 pm

muhbwahahahahahahahahaha

37. djloo27 said, on April 27, 2017 at 8:33 pm

You’re right, Blade – I mis-remembered the results of Flapaooza weekend.
    At least I was right not to let last night improve my outlook on this mess of a team.
    As a kid I liked ketchup on baloney, but I outgrew it.
    Once a year when I have a steak I mix ketchup with A-1.

38. djloo27 said, on April 27, 2017 at 8:41 pm

Top LB falls to your Niners…

• Flavor said, on April 27, 2017 at 9:02 pm

that turned my mood around big time. This has been quite the draft so far.

39. snarkk said, on April 27, 2017 at 10:00 pm

WTF? Niners first pick is Solomon Torres? He’ll, we know he sucks in the clutch …

40. unca_chuck said, on April 27, 2017 at 10:06 pm

Pretty crazy. I woulda been happier with Adams but I was saying all along that Thomas was their guy. The team has horrible in their pas rush last year. The DBs were porous at times, but that had a lot to do with the amenic pass rush.

Getting Foster is nuts. Very happy with that.

41. James said, on April 27, 2017 at 10:23 pm

Hey, Chi, you know that Elizabeth Cook is a great DJ, but even better songwriter, right?

42. mrsprtdude said, on April 27, 2017 at 10:26 pm

Great day 1 for the Niners. 2 potential studs on D…Good stuff! No words for Gmen. Just a bad team all the way around.