A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

The Worst Team in Baseball

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on May 3, 2017

You know, the Giants really aren’t so bad if you don’t watch them. Yeah, I discovered this last night while not watching them. The Warriors were in cruise control and it was nice to watch a pro team I like perform professionally.

My current problem is the box score. I was checking the box score fairly regularly and that wasn’t nice or fun. So I might have to cut that out. The Cardinals game is probably gonna get rained out today. We need more games like that on our schedule.

The calendar has barely crept into May and I’m already sick of this team. The idea of trading Belt was floated at the end of the last thread. Yes please! I doubt he’d bring much but I am ready to blow this half-assed play up. Preferably starting with the front office. Three championships doesn’t give you free reign to lackadaisically smoke the most copious amounts of pole the rest of your careers.

Anyway, try to muster up an argument that this isn’t the worst team in baseball. You can’t. With this payroll that’s a fucking embarrassment.

1. wilcojoe said, on May 3, 2017 at 6:38 am

There is a weird paradox at play here. The worse the Giants play, the better the Flap becomes to read. Just browsing thru last nights comments there were some absolute gems. Who knew the Bobby Thompson “shot heard round the world” game was being played on Sonny Corleone’s car radio before his sudden (and quite brutal) demise?

• Lurker John said, on May 3, 2017 at 7:24 am

It’s like a train wreck, you can’t help but watch.

• djloo27 said, on May 3, 2017 at 7:48 am

Your buddy Loo, baby…

• wilcojoe said, on May 3, 2017 at 8:19 am

I thought that was brilliant Loo. Especially the part about him not “living to hear the finish.”

Kind of reminds me of The Sopranos episode where Big Pussy tells the FBI agent he is working with that he wishes to relocate to Scottsdale, “to watch the Giants Spring Training”. Shortly thereafter, “he was sleeping with the fishes” a line first used in The Godfather.

• chipower9 said, on May 3, 2017 at 8:58 am

Dig the Sopranos reference…loved that show! James Gandolfini, RIP.

• Lurker John said, on May 3, 2017 at 10:02 am

Miss his acting, big time. The last movie I saw of his and really liked was “The Drop” with Tom Hardy. Outstanding flick.

2. blade3colorado said, on May 3, 2017 at 7:10 am

James posted last night that Belt “. . . stubbornly refuses to hit against the shift . . .” Sheesh, even the Dodgers 21 year old rookie, Cody Bellinger, has enough brains that I’ve seen him lay down 2 successful bunts against the shift in a week.

• zumiee said, on May 3, 2017 at 7:16 am

Nice draft pick for the Dodgers. They got him in the 4th round of the ’13 draft.

3. willedav said, on May 3, 2017 at 7:19 am

Like Flav I didn’t watch SF. Listened to Miller on radio call Moore’s first meltdown as Dodgers tied it up 4-4 but that was it.
    Kevin McHale does a good job as color guy, brutally honest. At one point after a Warrior mini run to extend a lead he said, “Quinn Snyder wishes he had more time outs.” And he’s right the passing was just fabulous and they blitzed Utah even on off shooting night from long distance with ball movement transition game and great D.

I’m all in on FO bashing for putting together a flawed group with far too many dumpster dive players, but 2 other things stand out—first the bad luck with injuries started again in ST with the FLR and continued through Williamson Parker Span Posey concussion Craw and of course the big bad one with Bum.

Second though is the salary cap ultimatum that ended Evans moves at Melancon. Obviously there isn’t near enough talent to compete, yet ownership has walked away from the battle content to laugh it off reading P/L statements.

• chipower9 said, on May 3, 2017 at 7:33 am

Fun game to watch. Just when Utah would make a move and cut the lead to 6 or 8, the Warriors would hit the accelerator and lock-down on D, and next thing you know the lead would be back to 12 or 15.

Love the passes…just unreal. And I commented on the switches on D at one point between Curry and Green…just beautiful and effective.

So much more entertaining than our boys in Orange and Black.

4. Lurker John said, on May 3, 2017 at 7:23 am

Can’t muster, you’re right on the money. Start with the front office (can Evans first) and go from there. No excuse for a team with these kinds of resources putting a shit product like this on the field. It’s insulting to the fans that invest a lot of time, energy and money into supporting the club.

5. blade3colorado said, on May 3, 2017 at 7:41 am

I’m more pissed at the players at this point, albeit, I was one of the most vocal against the Melancon signing and them not doing squat to shore up the outfield and/or 3rd base.

So what to do? Nothing at this point. Other potential trading partners would “smell fear” if the Giants brain trust attempted to unload players right now. This is the team we are stuck with until the All Star break/trading deadline. At that point, the MLB will be divided into “buyers” and “sellers” . . . We will be in the latter group and we’ll be able to make a more advantageous deal (if our front office has the balls to pull the trigger on the dead weight we have).

In any event, you’re pissing up a rope if you think this team is going to change before than. In the interim, there’s going to be more rearranging of the Titanic deck chairs. Carry on.

• chipower9 said, on May 3, 2017 at 7:44 am

Great post, and unfortunately, I think you are spot-on, brother.

Maybe during your trip here in August a San Jose Giants (or Sacto Rivercats) game is more in order. sigh…

• blade3colorado said, on May 3, 2017 at 7:46 am

Would love that. Even prefer it, but I will go with whatever the group decides. Would love to see Willie there.

• willedav said, on May 3, 2017 at 8:11 am

hey thx man. I’ve missed last couple, flap get togethers are great fun. Pretty amazing connections and friendships that through Flav and blog people from all over the world have been able to make.

August would be good month for me since that’s about only one b-ball takes off anymore. I seriously believe playing any sport year round is not healthy for young bodies but try convincing parents.

• chipower9 said, on May 3, 2017 at 8:59 am

I am with you…whatever works for the majority, I am down. It will just be fun to meet up with as many Flappers as possible.

• Lurker John said, on May 3, 2017 at 10:05 am

Absolutely. This early there’s nothing you can do outside of calling dudes up from the farm. I’d like to see Beede next.

6. chipower9 said, on May 3, 2017 at 7:43 am

LJ just stole the words outta my mouth. I was having the same thoughts (how does a team with this payroll suck so fucking bad), and while there has been talk that maybe they need a new manager (I would not totally shut down that dialogue), I am already tired of Bobby Evans. Maybe he gets one more year to turn things around, but that needs to be a very short leash.

The other point is that they have paid-off the mortgage on the yard and they have the Mission Rock development going on. Their anchor (pun intended tenant) at MR is Anchor Brewing, and you know they will make copious amounts of coin there, so the ownership group needs to suck it up, and say fuck the luxury tax and add the pieces this club needs! Fuck, Charles Johnson is the richest of the owners in baseball (he is worth 5-6 billions and is one of the top 200 richest fuckers on the planet). Giddy up and open up the purse strings big boy, because this product SUCKS BALLS.

If I was a season ticket holder, I would be sending a letter to the Giants telling them to fix the damned product FAST, or they are losing a season ticket holder.

Thank goodness the Warriors were on last night. Now THAT is a quality product and a damned fun team to watch. Amazing how the Giants have tanked so quickly…

7. willedav said, on May 3, 2017 at 8:06 am

Moore is just baffling—either very good and unhittable or wild and very hittable. He’s wiped out LA and gotten his ass kicked twice each going back to last year. What little I listened to Miller said his pitches weren’t even close. Wtf? He’s not some wild ass kid. I expected a lot better than what he has been so far this year.
    As James said earlier, if he pitches 200 innings and can’t get his ERA below 4.50 Giants are screwed. After last night it’s at 6.75 ouch.

• chipower9 said, on May 3, 2017 at 9:02 am

I was watching and the comment was made that he does have the propensity to lose his release point. Come on…the ball was all over the place. He would get strike one, and then walk someone on the next four pitches. Frustrating as hell…

• Lurker John said, on May 3, 2017 at 10:25 am

No, the guy was quite literally all over the place. For a while there he had no idea where his pitches were going. Awful performance, this after a 7 pitch first inning and getting spotted a 4-run lead in the seconid.

8. unca_chuck said, on May 3, 2017 at 8:20 am

Belt might not get much, but he’d get something. Put him in any other park and his numbers skyrocket. But as we all know they aren’t going to wave the white flag. Yet.

Moore? Jesus. On again off again. 1 run in 7 or 8 runs in 4.

Shit, if I was Belt I’d be ASKING for a trade. All he does is catch shit for the gumby shoulders shit, and doing what is asked of him. All the management and fricking announcers do is shit on him.

He’s the Alex Smith of baseball.

• wilcojoe said, on May 3, 2017 at 10:27 am

“Alex Smith of baseball” is a great comparison.

• unca_chuck said, on May 3, 2017 at 12:51 pm

I should add the fans as well.

9. willedav said, on May 3, 2017 at 8:21 am

Fun fact–tho we are few years apart, turns out Blade and I lived across town from each other and went to hated rival HS. Talking to him and Snarkk at SJ Giants game years ago over some good ‘cue, we each recall favorite haunts in same small town from 40-50 years ago.

• blade3colorado said, on May 3, 2017 at 8:37 am

Yeah, that was a very relaxed time at the San Jose ball park, very conducive to reminiscing about old times, while still watching the game. Almost felt like I was transported back in time.

10. James said, on May 3, 2017 at 8:22 am

Moore and Smarge are 1-8 and have pitched below replacement level playing for the team with the most pitching friendly park in the league. The season would have an entirely different cast if they had just been average in their starts, i.e., we’d be 13-15 or 14-14, even with all the rest of the shit going on. They’ve pitched a quarter of the team’s innings. The gap between expectations and performance is widest for those two.

• chipower9 said, on May 3, 2017 at 9:04 am

Yes. Couple that with a lack of offense (key hits) in all of those one run losses. I made the point the other day that had they won half of those one run games that was Ls, they would be near .500.

11. unca_chuck said, on May 3, 2017 at 8:25 am

James, tell your friend to go to the Cal Neva on the north shore. Some of GF II was shot there. It’s cheezy and very 60s, but you get a sense of the hipness it was when the rat pack used to run the joint.

In fact we did the ghost tour there when my son was really into those ghost hunter shows (about 10 years ago). Funny shit. And there really are tunnels under some of the canabas where booze, drugs, and hookers were moved in and out from the hotel without anyone knowing. Story is, JFK and Marilyn Monroe hooked up there a few times.

• James said, on May 3, 2017 at 10:11 am

Thx, Chuck, will do. North shore was definitely a general recommendation, so this fits in nicely.

12. unca_chuck said, on May 3, 2017 at 8:32 am

And James, great call on Thundertrain. I thought I knew all the 70s hard rock bands but I had never heard hide nor hare of them.

• James said, on May 3, 2017 at 10:13 am

And I’ll bet it was D. Lee Roth who made the call for VH.

• unca_chuck said, on May 3, 2017 at 10:55 am

I read up on TTrain and they opened for VH a couple times in78. So they definitely heard the song!

13. blade3colorado said, on May 3, 2017 at 8:34 am

For shit and giggles, I’ll be interested in seeing how Matt Duffy plays when he returns in mid or late May. Right now, advantage easily Moore, despite him face planting this season. Right now, Tim Beckham is filling in capably for him. However, Beckham’s strikeout rate (32.2 percent) and contact rate (65 percent) remain at unsightly levels. Consequently, Duffy will be back at the starting SS position upon his return. I’m one (maybe the only one?) of the Matt Duffy delusional supporters, so I didn’t buy into the trade at the time.

Just me, but I think the trade upset the “chemistry” of the team and it hasn’t been the same since. Here’s where James analytical mind says, poppy cock or worse. However, call it what you want – bad juju, the Duffy curse, Moore curse, revenge of the Rays – take your pick . . . Bottom line is that this team’s chemistry has sucked since last season.

14. Flavor said, on May 3, 2017 at 8:38 am

Kruk was pretty brutal on Moore this morning saying this is all between his ears and he has to attack, not nibble. He praised Doughboy’s approach at the plate and even managed to sneak a diss on Belt into the praise (reminding us again that he can’t hit the high fastball and all the pitchers know this, lol)

15. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 3, 2017 at 8:44 am

Yeah, I caught the Kruk show on the drive in this morning too. He never misses an opportunity to flame Belt. I wonder what Sabean things of goofy ol’ Brandon, who is also the club’s best offensive player. Is he in the Good Soldier category?

16. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 3, 2017 at 8:45 am

Good thing Booby Evans locked down so much inventory heading into spring. You know who else likes inventory? Walmart.

17. Flavor said, on May 3, 2017 at 8:50 am

an email I got from my dad yesterday. All his emails are in caps. lqtm

WILLIAM V
    To Craig V May 2 at 6:15 PM
    HEY
    WHAT’S THE DEAL WITH KERSHAW AND THE MOUTH OPEN ALL THE TIME
    LOOKS LIKE AN IDIOT
    NICE TO KNOCK HIM OFF AGAIN

• chipower9 said, on May 3, 2017 at 9:06 am

Gold.

• Lurker John said, on May 3, 2017 at 10:29 am

LOL. That bizarre reaction to Posey’s homer the other night was completely around the bend. I must’ve replayed it 10 times.

18. blade3colorado said, on May 3, 2017 at 8:56 am

Urias owned us in his season debut (April 27th). Probably will tonight too. Fortunately, he is on a pitch count and will probably only go for 5 innings or 90 pitches – whichever comes first.

19. snarkk said, on May 3, 2017 at 9:42 am

Numbers don’t lie, this team is bad. 40-60 since last years AS break, per Baggs. That has to be one of the worst in baseball. Nothing of note will happen until trade deadline time. Cueto has to go for prospects, Beede up. That has to be done. Sabes and Evans have been asleep at the switch. Belt knocks in two runs, has all the top offensive productive numbers on the team, such as they are, saves errors from the IFers all the time, yet continues to get skewered more than anybody. He’d be grateful for a trade, I should think…

20. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 3, 2017 at 9:53 am

Yeah, snarkk I agree with you. The constant Belt bashing is bizarre and really ridiculous. He picks up 2 hits and 2 RBI in the loss but hey he can’t hit the inside fastball. Meanwhile baseball Jesus and the Reverend with 6 of 8 LOB but if Belt wasn’t such a pussy Cueto wouldn’t have gotten that blister. I’d be surprised to see Belt take post game interviews with Kruk & Kuip.

Hopefully Samardzija picks it up so that he’s coveted by other teams. Belt, Samardzija, Cueto, maybe even Pence, those guys should be able to get something in return around the deadline.

• blade3colorado said, on May 3, 2017 at 10:12 am

In game theory and economic theory, a zero-sum game is a mathematical representation of a situation in which each participant’s gain or loss of utility is exactly balanced by the losses or gains of the utility of the other participants. Consequently, I do not want to trade Belt. The others you mentioned I’m down with though.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 3, 2017 at 10:24 am

I don’t know about all that other shit but I think the front office sees either Shaw as his replacement or Posey moving to 1b sooner rather than later so Belt becomes expendable (or the new LF). Personally, I’d prefer they keep him and fix the offensive black-hole in the outfield.

• blade3colorado said, on May 3, 2017 at 10:37 am

Me too. For all the shit Belt gets here (including me), there is practically no other 1st baseman or other position player, that would bring the combination of fielding, BA, OBP, OPS, and SLG. Plus, he has a team friendly contract. Ironically, his downfall is essentially none of his doing – the phone park – which is an anchor around his neck. He will never hit more than 15-20 home runs here . . . nor, will practically anyone else you trade him for.

It’s funny, but In fantasy he’s a dud, but as a real life player, he rocks.

21. Irish Kevin said, on May 3, 2017 at 10:08 am

I don’t understand why is Gerrin still up here, he has taken Hunter Strickland place as the worst bullpen guy!! From last night, I turned the game off when they brought him in!! Awful!! The worst!

• Lurker John said, on May 3, 2017 at 10:35 am

To quote Flav, Gearrin smokes copious amount of pole. Can’t stand him.

22. Lurker John said, on May 3, 2017 at 10:28 am

Moore’s stuff is way too good for him to have episodes when he can’t find the plate with any of his pitches. I’m inclined to go with Kruk on this one, it’s between his ears. It didn’t matter if he was pitching from the windup or the stretch last night, he was awful after a very quick first inning.

• Lurker John said, on May 3, 2017 at 10:39 am

The problem with between-the-ears stuff is that it may sound relatively easy to fix, but often it’s not. Witness the likes of Steve Sax, Rick Ankiel and many, many others over the course of baseball history. I’m not saying that’s the case with Moore, but it’s happened before. Moore’s seems to come and go. In Ankiel’s case it simply vanished and right in the middle of a playoff game.

23. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 3, 2017 at 10:28 am

Listening to Moore’s post game last night I closed my eyes and could of sworn it was Zito.

24. Lurker John said, on May 3, 2017 at 10:44 am

And to Joe and Loo from above, I’ve been a Godfather aficionado for years and had no idea about the Shot Heard Round the World thing. Very awesome. I’ve always loved NY Giants history, and Thomson’s HR may be the pinnacle of that history. Poor Ralph Branca.

• unca_chuck said, on May 3, 2017 at 11:03 am

Branca And Thompson were fast friends for the rest of their lives.

I’ve pretty much always liked Belt and like I said I’d be telling the team get off my fucking back or trade me. I’d be telling Kuip you ain’t 1/5th the player I am, so fuck off.

Maybe they love him behind closed doors but he catches way too much shit for what he brings to the table. And don’t think that doesn’t play into his trade value. The front office is undermining themselves in his regard.

25. alleykat69 said, on May 3, 2017 at 11:02 am

So does anyone know where this Morris guy came from?Sure is the latest of gas can implosions. Though I’m sure Kruk gave him high praise on his arm slot release after he ripped Belt a new one.Man everyone is right, Belt takes it up the ass without the Crisco and sometimes corn 🌽 holed without the corn!!

• wilcojoe said, on May 3, 2017 at 11:42 am

Speaking of the game corn hole not the sexual act, In Texas they play a similar game called washers.. Instead of a bean bag, you use metal washers (basically metal rings) and toss them into one of three holes on a wooden, elevated board. Most people down here have never heard of corn hole. . Hell, most of you guys in NorCal, probably never heard of either. It’s a great drinking game, especially when you’re tailgating.

Anyway, a few years back at work, we were on a conference call with a colleague in Florida. He was talking about how he would entertain clients by taking them to Florida State football games, where he had season tickets. He then said one of the things they liked to do before the game, “was play cornhole with one another.” As soon as he said that one of my coworkers had to hit the mute button because he was laughing so hard. He literally was in tears. To make matters worse, the guy said something along the lines of “yeah I am pretty good at getting mine right into those little bitty holes.” We had the phone on mute for so long, he eventually asked if we were still there. Middle school humor never gets old.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 3, 2017 at 12:06 pm

lulz, great story. I would’ve been crying with laughter but also wouldn’t be able to resists commenting “Oh, yeah? You guys like corn-hole out there? It’s really fun when you spread them far apart.”

I’ve played the washer game you mentioned.

• chipower9 said, on May 3, 2017 at 12:08 pm

That’s fucking hilarious, Wilco…I am LMAO right now just picturing the conversation and circumstance.

26. zumiee said, on May 3, 2017 at 11:15 am

Gearrin put the exclamation point on the bad last night, when he came in with the bases loaded and hit the first batter he faced with the first pitch he threw. That makes a team look really lousy.

27. zumiee said, on May 3, 2017 at 11:18 am

It’s like the Giants’ front office got fooled by that last push against the Dodgers last season to scrape into the playoffs. They fixed so little about the team. They improved the team at closer, and even that is starting to feel like not a huge improvement.

• zumiee said, on May 3, 2017 at 11:19 am

Arroyo has become my #1 reason for watching Giants games now. And that’s someone the front office thought they were saving for 2018.

28. zumiee said, on May 3, 2017 at 11:24 am

Whenever I’m tempted to feel sorry for Branca, I remember he was on the ’55 Dodgers team that won a championship. He got a ring in his career.
    Thomson actually didn’t get a ring with the Giants. He wasn’t on the ’54 Giants. He was traded to the Milwaukee Braves after the ’53 season. He got a ring with the ’57 Braves, though. Also Hank Aaron’s only ring, too, of course.

29. unca_chuck said, on May 3, 2017 at 11:29 am

It’s the Steve Blass Syndrone, LJ.

30. zumiee said, on May 3, 2017 at 11:32 am

From last night, speaking of older TV shows…..
    for many years, up until my dad passed away in ’10, I would watch several older shows with him, mostly as a way of bonding with him. Which meant a lot of westerns. Bonanza and Gunsmoke being the two bigees for him. These are shows that I hadn’t originally liked, but grew to like. They were better-written than I had given them credit for, and the acting was pretty good, too. There were occasional repeated patterns. You knew whenever Little Joe got engaged, that woman was doomed to die of cholera, or typhus, or by getting accidentally runover by a runaway stagecoach, or something similar.
    And there would be the occasional very interesting guest stars. An episode of Gunsmoke featured a young Merle Haggard as a traveling guitar player who was in and out of trouble with the law. Kind of a case of art imitating life, in that situation.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 3, 2017 at 11:38 am

So the Giants bullpen = Little Joe’s fiance in this scenario?

Ever watch The Riffleman? Fun fact, I was named after the Sheriff.

• blade3colorado said, on May 3, 2017 at 11:51 am

Ergo = Paul Fix? Pray tell what was the catalyst for this Dirt? This sounds like a potentially great Flap story.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 3, 2017 at 11:56 am

lulz, no. The Sheriff’s name was Micah. I guess my dad was a big fan as a kid or something. He’s sort of a cowboy type. We did lots of hunting, fishing and horse riding when I was young. It’s also a biblical name so it’s a good way to weed out the bible thumpers (no offense if you’re big into god and whatnot). After a lifetime of correcting the people pronouncing my name and spelling it repeatedly for pick up orders I went with real simple, phonetic names for my kids.

• blade3colorado said, on May 3, 2017 at 12:34 pm

Ahh!

• Lurker John said, on May 3, 2017 at 12:39 pm

I was going to say. The Rifleman still holds up pretty well today. They show reruns of it on the local oldies station. Always liked Chuck Connors, even though he began life as a Dodger. Bonanza and Gunsmoke were good too. Also liked The Big Valley too, with the great Barbara Stanwyck in the latter part of her career.

• Macdog said, on May 3, 2017 at 11:50 am

For me, any Bonanza mention brings this to mind…

• snarkk said, on May 3, 2017 at 12:01 pm

Hop Sing, baby…

31. James said, on May 3, 2017 at 12:37 pm

Moore is averaging just under 4 BBs a game, which is his career number. It may be between his ears, but it also likely an intrinsic part of who he is as a player. Maybe he can sharpen his command through continued reps and experience. I suspect it is just an inherent limitation at this point.

• Lurker John said, on May 3, 2017 at 12:40 pm

That would suck.

32. unca_chuck said, on May 3, 2017 at 1:08 pm

Yeah, I noticed that the day Moore got here. Lots of walks.

lesmoore

33. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 3, 2017 at 1:30 pm

Here’s a good breakdown on the shit-show of a season so far. Careful with the link it contains a dumpster fire. All the negatives aside, win tonight and the club takes the series!

34. blade3colorado said, on May 3, 2017 at 1:39 pm

LJ, see Chuck Connors in The Big Country, for my money, one of the best westerns ever (Gregory Peck, Charlton Heston, Burl Ives, Charles Laughton, and a couple of hot babes whose names escape me at the moment). Anywho, Connors plays a sniveling, uncouth, coward. Great movie.

• Lurker John said, on May 3, 2017 at 2:05 pm

Haha. I just happen to have that movie on DVD, Blade. Really underrated western, IMO. Greg Peck is really good and Connors plays a really bad dude. Coward describes him well in that role. Heston happens to be a favorite of mine as well. Jean Simmons and Carroll Baker are the women. Love it.

Ooops, sorry, my heart always hiccups when I think of Jean Simmons. Major hottie. lol

• Lurker John said, on May 3, 2017 at 2:06 pm

I love the scene where Peck breaks the horse. Casts him in a different light than the first part of the movie when the rest of the characters see him as kind of a priss. Uh, no.

• chipower9 said, on May 3, 2017 at 2:19 pm

Jean Simmons…yowza!

35. alleykat69 said, on May 3, 2017 at 2:35 pm

Besides The Rifleman which had a great intro blasting off several rounds off his bad ass rifle in the middle of town no less,guess everyone ran inside the saloon 1st, Chuck had his short lived show “Branded” where he played a disgraced soldier that the top commander broke his sword over his knee and make the walk out the fort in shame..
    Of course he was innocent, but hey we needed a TV show so he could make good and prove everyone wrong…
    Of course it led to a joke of mine..
    “Branded on a toilet bowl
    What do you do when your branded
    and you run out of roll?
    Ans…Butt Slide!!

36. unca_chuck said, on May 3, 2017 at 2:39 pm

If you want to see a Western that really isn’t a western see Bad Day at Black Rock.

The relevance of the movie is suddenly very apparent.

• Lurker John said, on May 3, 2017 at 3:17 pm

Outstanding movie! One of Tracy’s best! Robert Ryan, Ernest Borgnine, Lee Marvin. Funny thing is, Borgnine won an Oscar for another movie he did the year before called Marty. The two characters are so far apart it’s hard to describe. Another of our great actors.

37. unca_chuck said, on May 3, 2017 at 2:40 pm

Branded was awesome. The only thing I remember about it was the walk of shame. As with the beginning of the rifleman.

38. unca_chuck said, on May 3, 2017 at 2:43 pm

Stranded
    On the toilet bowl
    Stranded without a roll
    What do you do when you’re stranded
    On the toilet bowl?

I think that joke was in every 2nd grade class in 1968

39. blade3colorado said, on May 3, 2017 at 3:00 pm

Giants have little to no chance tonight IMO. However, they don’t play the games on paper. Just for fun, here is the analysis by one of the fantasy sites (Rotogrinder/Notorius):

Pitcher Grind Down

We don’t target right-handed pitchers against the Dodgers and we don’t target Samardzija on the road. It’s really that simple.

Quick Breakdown: All of the lefties in the Dodgers’ lineup are going to be trouble for Samardzija.

Urias is making his second start of the season. I’m expecting a big sophomore season from the 20-year old lefty, but the Dodgers typically don’t let him throw more than 90-95 pitches. That could change this season, but I wouldn’t count on it until we see it. Urias has massive strikeout upside and is listed as a large favorite at home against the Giants. I have no problem using him in any format tonight, but we can’t play everyone. I slightly prefer Charlie Morton over Urias.

Quick Breakdown: Urias is a viable play in all formats.

Batter Grind Down

San Francisco

The Giants have one of the lowest implied run totals in the slate. Hunter Pence, Buster Posey, and Christian Arroyo all hit left-handed pitching well, but it’s hard to justify playing them in a 15 game slate. I suppose catcher is thin if you want to look at Posey on DraftKings ($3,600) and Arroyo is still awfully cheap on FanDuel ($2,400).

Elite Plays – None
    Secondary Plays – Buster Posey (DK), Christian Arroyo (FD)
    Stackability – RED

LA Dodgers

The Dodgers are one of my favorite stacks in the slate. They absolutely mash right-handed pitching, which can clearly be seen by all of the green and blue boxes in the table below. Their matchup against Jeff Samardzija sets up well, as he has allowed a .353 wOBA to left-handed hitters in the last two seasons.

Elite Plays – Andrew Toles, Corey Seager, Yasmani Grandal, Cody Bellinger
    Secondary Plays – Justin Turner, Adrian Gonzalez, Yasiel Puig
    Stackability – GREEN

40. chipower9 said, on May 3, 2017 at 3:07 pm

Yeah, Giants should have little or no chance tonight…and those are the games that often go “sideways.”

Fuck it…if the game goes south early, I am going to pour a stiff Kentucky Mule, T-up one of my Giants world series DVDs, and bask my ass off.

41. Flavor said, on May 3, 2017 at 3:10 pm

good breakdown of why we suck.This isn’t due to a guy or two who might not be here or maybe if the pitchers were a little better here and there. We SUCK, across the board….

• blade3colorado said, on May 3, 2017 at 3:45 pm

That dude nailed it explicitly. I haven’t read a more detailed and sober analysis from anyone or site yet. As you said, “we suck across the board.”

• pawliekokonuts said, on May 3, 2017 at 4:22 pm

TBH, I can’t bring myself to read it. I can’t. I don’t wanna take the gas pipe tonight. Speaking of the gas pipe, they were ahead of their time in those gas pipe days. It foreshadowed vaping!

42. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 3, 2017 at 3:14 pm

Hernandez is 6 for his last 23 but why not put Belt in at lead off? Is it because he walks too much?

Hernandez CF
    Brandon Belt 1B
    Hunter Pence RF
    Buster Posey C
    Christian Arroyo SS
    Eduardo Nunez LF
    Joe Panik 2B
    Kelby Tomlinson 3B
    Jeff Samardzija P

• zumiee said, on May 3, 2017 at 4:04 pm

Gorkys at lead-off again.

43. zumiee said, on May 3, 2017 at 4:00 pm

“Ever watch The Rifleman?”
    I don’t remember ever seeing it. My dad must have never found it when he was surfing channels.
    We did watch “Big Valley” a lot.

• pawliekokonuts said, on May 3, 2017 at 4:18 pm

Chuck Connors of The Rifleman played in the Dodgers organization.

• pawliekokonuts said, on May 3, 2017 at 4:20 pm

Didn’t Big Valley have someone with big knockers? Maybe Barbara Stanwyck? Watch Happy Valley on Netflix. Sopranos-ish dark.

• zumiee said, on May 3, 2017 at 4:30 pm

You’re probably thinking of Linda Evans, who played Stanwyck’s daughter.

• pawliekokonuts said, on May 3, 2017 at 4:36 pm

oh yeah, she was stacked

• zumiee said, on May 3, 2017 at 4:39 pm

• alleykat69 said, on May 3, 2017 at 6:31 pm

1st tv crush was Audra Barkley in Big Valley( Linda Evans)sure was easy on the eyes 👀 back then..

44. zumiee said, on May 3, 2017 at 4:13 pm

We also watched The Waltons back in the day. That’s an easy show to bash nowadays, but at the time, the nostalgic look back at the Depression era was interesting. The movies, The Sting, and Paper Moon, were big hits, of course.
    It’s odd to think that, in the 1970s, the Depression was about the same length of time away as the 1980s are from now. When I was a little kid, I thought that World War II being in the 1940s was a long time away. But it was only the same amount of time away as the 1990s are from now. Those kinds of comparisons are kind of trippin.’

• blade3colorado said, on May 3, 2017 at 4:22 pm

Yeah, occasionally, I think about that too Zumiee. Similarly, I wonder how teenagers perceive someone my age. Scary. Ironically, I think part of the disconnect has to do with exercise and the obsession of going to the gym and/or being active. Specifically, when I was in my teenage years, my friends parents did look OLD. Many of them were overweight, smoked and drank too much. I don’t think I know anyone who smokes today. Just sort of weird and trippy as you pointed out.

• pawliekokonuts said, on May 3, 2017 at 4:27 pm

Steve, psssst. I have a dirty little secret: runners and gymrats and fitness phreaks are going to “join the majority” some day. Like everyone else, including smokers and boozers. They’re going to be so shocked and disappointed. Forsaking all those GMOs — and for what?! They still get to meet their Maker.

• blade3colorado said, on May 3, 2017 at 4:34 pm

Yeah, in the end, it wont matter. However, let’s say that I go for my annual physical and the doctor says I have one year to live. Boy oh boy! First thing on the agenda, is buying some acid and magic mushrooms. From there, we move onto . . . umm, nevermind.

• pawliekokonuts said, on May 3, 2017 at 4:24 pm

Those comparisons floor me. Like my parents listening to Glenn Miller or jimmy dorsey or Benny Goodman. The Beatles and Stones are farther back today!

• djloo27 said, on May 3, 2017 at 4:37 pm

How about this one, PK:
        Willie Mays (turning 87 on Saturday) hasn’t played a major league game in about 43½ years – exactly one-half of his life…

• djloo27 said, on May 3, 2017 at 4:39 pm

Sorry, he’ll turn 86 – but still…

45. pawliekokonuts said, on May 3, 2017 at 4:17 pm

It’s only a week and two days since Dough Boy popped out of the oven and it seemed we had new life. Gawd. How dispiriting. It’s worse than having to eat Fruit fuckin Loops morning, noon, and night.

46. djloo27 said, on May 3, 2017 at 4:29 pm

Why was Stix so upset over “filtered water” being an ingredient in the beverage they give him?
    Is filtered water bad?

• zumiee said, on May 3, 2017 at 4:33 pm

Stix is a man of many conspiracy theories.

• pawliekokonuts said, on May 3, 2017 at 4:35 pm

maybe not enough fluoride?

47. Lurker John said, on May 3, 2017 at 4:45 pm

“The costs add up, as does revenue sharing,” Giants general manager Bobby Evans.

Yeah, we’re all crying a river for you, Bobby. Woe is me.

• alleykat69 said, on May 3, 2017 at 5:21 pm

Yeah no shit LJ!!
      Paid off ball park, billionaire owner group, cry me a river as well! Don’t they own all that land behind McCovey Cove as well their developing?
      Beer prices, cha cha bowls,garlic fries,new food every year with crazy prices, souvenirs, not that a kid wants one this year,shit a bag of peanuts 🥜 used to be a buck, now what 5 are more? Family of 4 $500.00 plus Priceless!!

• chipower9 said, on May 3, 2017 at 8:24 pm

Long-term lease on that property and also the Mission Rock property…

48. alleykat69 said, on May 3, 2017 at 5:49 pm

“The Invaders” A Quinn Martin Production
    1967 Pilot(Beachhead) Opening Lines, kinda like the Giants this year..
    “How does a nightmare begin?”
    For David Vincent architect,returning home from a business trip.It began alittle after 4am on a short cut he never found.
    It began with a welcoming sign that gave hope of black coffee ☕️
    It began with a closed deserted diner,and a man to tired to continue his journey.
    In the weeks to come David Vincent will go back to how it all began.”

49. theroooster said, on May 3, 2017 at 6:33 pm

Yep, Zoom – The Waltons – used to sit around the toob with my two older bros and my younger sis as kids and watch that show, Bonanza, Death Valley, damn – The Rifleman was one of my closest (in Age) brother’s and mine favorites. They don’t make ’em like that no mo, that’s for sure.
    Don’t forget I dream of Jeannie, and Get Smart weekdays after school!

50. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on May 3, 2017 at 6:45 pm

I wonder just how much Evans makes his own decisions, or is it truly a 2-headed Sabevans monster. Kinda hard to imagine Sabean just sitting back in his recliner during the off-season watching as Evans proclaims that Melancon fulfilled all shopping needs and that was it. A dozen or so years ago, the front office did not very successfully plan for and build a post-Bonds team; there were some pretty bad years there before things started looking brighter right around ’09. I hate to criticize these guys, because I certainly wouldn’t do any better, but it also seems like they were content with status quo after the 3 rings and figured the gravy train and/or good luck would just continue with minor tweaks. That was one thing I always appreciated about the likes of Theo Epstein; seemed even having winning teams, he wasn’t afraid to retool ahead of any possible downturn. Now we’re witnessing a rather unpleasant downturn that a tweak or two will likely not fix…

• djloo27 said, on May 3, 2017 at 6:54 pm

• pawliekokonuts said, on May 3, 2017 at 7:02 pm

Yeah, we’ve overplayed the odds already, tho’ I ain’t a gambler so how would I know.

• chipower9 said, on May 3, 2017 at 8:23 pm

I don’t think Sabes ever flew solo on evaluating and dealing for talent. It was at least a three-headed monster: Sbean, Evans, and Dick Tidrow (or at least I had read that Evans and Tidrow were almost always consulted on personnel decisions).

51. gianthead said, on May 3, 2017 at 7:12 pm

After looking up last night’s box score moments ago, I just have one question….who the fuck is Bryan Morris????

• snarkk said, on May 3, 2017 at 8:38 pm

Ramirez’ replacement…

52. snarkk said, on May 3, 2017 at 7:28 pm

If you like Jean Simmons, there is a low-budget TV type movie “Daisies in December” made in UK in mid-90s. Probably on Netflix. Pretty amusing, about an older romance. She was still quite attractive in mid-60s…

53. blade3colorado said, on May 3, 2017 at 7:29 pm

Nice play by Buster

54. snarkk said, on May 3, 2017 at 7:31 pm

Sorry, but Gorkys leading off makes absolutely zero sense to me. None.
    Tomlinson way better choice. Contact hitter, hits oppo, can run…

55. snarkk said, on May 3, 2017 at 7:35 pm

I agree with Loo that the Giants are headed to the downside. Minors are a crapshoot “inventory” of position players and pitchers. No real “can’t miss” prospects — Arroyo being up now. No home grown OFers on horizon that would seem to be able to plug the OF holes with talent. I don’t see how an organization this flush with cash doesn’t have really good players awash in the minors due to being able to fund a deep, top notch scouting staff, as well as really develop international sources…

56. blade3colorado said, on May 3, 2017 at 7:41 pm

“We’ve clearly entered a grim era. We may have the occasional surprise season that seems to come from nowhere (’78, ’82, ’93) but my expectations for the foreseeable future are not very high…”

At least my daughter, Nguyen Michele Vo Melikean, will be able to enjoy the Giants renaissance in 2067 after going through the wilderness years Loo described.

• snarkk said, on May 3, 2017 at 7:50 pm

Baer will sell you tix right now for her 2067 visit to ATT…

57. alleykat69 said, on May 3, 2017 at 8:03 pm

Pence your making me drink more and I drink enough! Your sweeping approach just doesn’t cut it!

• djloo27 said, on May 3, 2017 at 8:10 pm

Captain Video might be the easiest guy to pitch to in MLB…

58. chipower9 said, on May 3, 2017 at 8:19 pm

Hard to tell when he had his batting lid on, but did Arroyo get a buzz?

59. blade3colorado said, on May 3, 2017 at 8:32 pm

Dodger announcer just called Puig the best right fielder in baseball. I assume he meant in fielding or more specifically, his arm. Play was close, but no cigar Puig.

60. blade3colorado said, on May 3, 2017 at 8:40 pm

This will be the last batter (or inning for Urias).

61. snarkk said, on May 3, 2017 at 8:44 pm

Leadoff double, can’t score.
    I think we’ve seen that before. Why not a Samardzxxx butcher boy play, a safety squeeze? No. Swing away on first pitch, grounder direct to Seager, so Panik stuck on 3rd. No creativity…

62. Lurker John said, on May 3, 2017 at 8:45 pm

Pence flat looks old. Urias is abusing him tonight. Samardzija getting Cained tonight.

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on May 3, 2017 at 8:51 pm

Unfortunately, I think that’s one reason our entire OF looks so dreadful this year: because 5 years after coming to SF and providing a lot of energy and offense, Pence is….. well, 5 years older. He’s our best OFer, by far, and he’s been on the downslide for awhile now. This OF needs to be blown up and rebuilt. The IF looks ok, even though it too will begin showing its age in the next year or three. But this OF…. unbelievably pathetic.

63. Lurker John said, on May 3, 2017 at 8:48 pm

Filthy deuce to fan Grandal.

64. blade3colorado said, on May 3, 2017 at 8:49 pm

Alphabet is actually pitching outstanding. Surprised a bit, because the Dodgers usually do well against righties.

65. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 3, 2017 at 8:53 pm

So you bet against him, blade? Nothing like a 5 inning 1 hitter with nothing to show for it. Gotta get something going.

• blade3colorado said, on May 3, 2017 at 8:56 pm

No, I didn’t touch this game. It would have been insanity. I actually went with a guy named Morton, who pitches for the Astros. He was outstanding this evening. I was very busy getting ready for my trip Saturday and only played one tourney this evening.

66. willedav said, on May 3, 2017 at 8:54 pm

Specs my boy. Making his case to stay up here, part of the solution.
    5 clean from smardz, nice outing no meltdowns.

67. snarkk said, on May 3, 2017 at 8:55 pm

If the Giants played as well as the Dubs did this past regular season, they’d win 132 games…

68. snarkk said, on May 3, 2017 at 8:56 pm

Hill or Specs?
    I don’t see how Specs doesn’t win that one — oh, he has options…

69. zumiee said, on May 3, 2017 at 8:59 pm

Arroyo is learning that the major league umps aren’t any better than the minor league ones.

70. Macdog said, on May 3, 2017 at 9:06 pm

Giants’ paltry offense pUtah runners but can’t get the big hit, eventually some Dodger will blast one into the seats and that’ll be game.

• snarkk said, on May 3, 2017 at 9:07 pm

When the conga line doesn’t conga, which is most of the time, it’s tough to score without power…

• Macdog said, on May 3, 2017 at 9:08 pm

Puts runners on, damn phone.

71. unca_chuck said, on May 3, 2017 at 9:08 pm

Jesus. Taking care of things around the house and watching the Spurs shellack the Rockets.

Thought I’d read this before turning on the game for shits and giggles. 0-0?

72. blade3colorado said, on May 3, 2017 at 9:09 pm

WOW . . . Just wow!

73. unca_chuck said, on May 3, 2017 at 9:09 pm

Fuck the kiss of death turning on the game at exactly the wrong time. If Fucktly drives in this run I’m gonna puke.

74. Macdog said, on May 3, 2017 at 9:09 pm

Or Dodgers will score on some ridiculous play like that.

75. unca_chuck said, on May 3, 2017 at 9:11 pm

Fucking drill his stupid ass. Or K him . . .