Bad Meets Buffoonery

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on May 8, 2017

This will be a fun series. I’ve always wondered what happens when a shit product collides with a shit show. I guess today we’ll find out.

Stat check:

Giants are last in the NL in home runs and OPS. They are last in runs scored. They are 3rd to last in SB’s (but might as well be last now that Nunie doesn’t get on base or run hard anymore). And they are 1/100th of a point away from last place in ERA (4.81 to Atlanta’s 4.82).

Park factors and OPS+ get thrown around here sometimes as a way to defend our joke-hitters and I’ll counter with this: The Giants have played in 3 bandboxes this year–Colorado, AZ and Cinn. They’ve been outscored 86-34 (I heard this on the radio this morning, I may be off by a run or two). So let’s stop talking about our offense being stifled by big bad AT&T Park. Our offense SUCKS regardless of the venue.

Their upside is that they haven’t suspended any of their players lately and no pics of massive dildos in their locker stalls have hit the internet.

So there’s that.

1. willedav said, on May 8, 2017 at 7:07 am

plus no Cespedes and a few others and managed by Collins, who always looks and sounds like he just smoked a pack. Someone has to win next 3.

Bailed on Yanks Cubs after 16, glad to see Yanks swept them. followed some links on cbs site about a Cubs confidence poll (they lost 4 of 7 this week and are 3rd in division) that led to a blogger calling out Maddon for LU: Schwarber shouldn’t leadoff, Zobrist (.720 OPS) shouldn’t be a clean up hitter and pitchers shouldn’t bat 8th. But he does have the ring so I’m sure over there he can do no wrong.

• Lurker John said, on May 8, 2017 at 7:40 am

IMO, he shouldn’t even have the one. The Indians really let that Series get away. Most overrated manager in baseball.

• zumiee said, on May 8, 2017 at 7:52 am

He flubbed his use of Chapman in the playoffs but ultimately got away with it.

2. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 8, 2017 at 8:44 am

Maybe the Giants and Mets can all get together for breakfast or something.

3. zumiee said, on May 8, 2017 at 9:07 am

A Mets fan sees that his team is playing the Giants tonight.

• Macdog said, on May 8, 2017 at 9:24 am

Yep, despite all their woes the Mets have won their last three series, all without Cespedes and Syndergaard, and are only 2 games under .500 with the worst team in baseball coming to town.

4. snarkk said, on May 8, 2017 at 9:34 am

Giants usually do OK in NY.
    But with this team, no real reason to suggest the Giants won’t lose this series. Maybe if Craw is back, he might lend a jolt of some kind. If they take only one here, they’ll be 3-9 on the trip, which is pretty close to disastrous. 4-9 would be defensible as putting off the white flag on the season for a bit…

5. alleykat69 said, on May 8, 2017 at 9:34 am

As the reality check comes in:”The Worst Team in Baseball”!!!!

6. chipower9 said, on May 8, 2017 at 9:35 am

Phew! I was worried about the massive dildo angle, but I think this team is fucked with or without them.

7. djloo27 said, on May 8, 2017 at 9:49 am

I am going to take Big Flavor’s advice and only watch when it’s convenient or if I have nothing better to do (which means I’ll probably watch a lot). Miller on MLB radio is a great way to fall asleep.
    I had this Wednesday at Citifield circled months ago – ain’t happening….

• Macdog said, on May 8, 2017 at 11:02 am

C’mon Loo, didn’t you get in some kind of trouble at Shea in ’84 while defending our last-place Giants? Don’t bail now!

• djloo27 said, on May 8, 2017 at 12:09 pm

They were probably 30 games out at the time.
        If I pulled that today, I’d get locked up if not shot…

8. chipower9 said, on May 8, 2017 at 10:41 am

I must have missed Flavor’s advice about only watching our boys when it is convenient or if I have nothing better to do. Weekends are usually busy, and it can be challenging sometimes to tune-in to the games. This weekend was one of those – we went and checked-out a Dead cover band at a local brewery Friday night. They were damned good, as was the brew. Saturday and Sunday were just consumed with chores and errands, so I missed most of the games (thank goodness). Pfffttt…

• djloo27 said, on May 8, 2017 at 10:45 am

I added on the “nothing better to do”. BF suggested the convenience part, Chi…

• Flavor said, on May 8, 2017 at 10:49 am

and that was a sweet add-on my man. SWEET add-on.

• chipower9 said, on May 8, 2017 at 11:31 am

Very cool, Loo. Good advice from both of you!

9. djloo27 said, on May 8, 2017 at 11:01 am

Flavor has great instincts and I take his suggestions very seriously…

10. Irish Kevin said, on May 8, 2017 at 12:10 pm

What is the saying, “Oh how the Mighty have Fallen…are they headed for 100 losses? Maybe, sure looks that way. Shit happens, unfortunately a lot of shit has happened to this team. No telling where it will end, it just sucks to have to watch.

• djloo27 said, on May 8, 2017 at 12:43 pm

Watching them this year feels like a bad habit that I just can’t seem to shake…

11. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 8, 2017 at 12:22 pm

I guess it’s nice that the front office is paying lip service to playoff aspirations but does it really matter? Being stuck with the core group for the foreseeable future, it’s hard to see where they start with cleaning up this mess

Full no trade clauses
    Posey
    Crawford
    Pence
    Melancon

Partial clause – can block trades to X teams
    Belt
    Samardzija

Who’s that leave?
    Span
    Panik
    Nunez
    A bunch ragtag bullpen arms that nobody will take. Well, maybe someone has value down there but not for much in return.

• djloo27 said, on May 8, 2017 at 12:33 pm

Except for Nunie, who I think is gone at the deadline, I’d guess all of the above return next season.
      Pretty sure Pence and Span enter their final contract years in 2018…

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 8, 2017 at 12:56 pm

yeah, gotta get rid of Nunie but he’s not going to get much back. Cueto has got to be a candidate too but any potential partner runs the risk that he doesn’t opt out so again, not much will be coming back. Maybe trade him to an AL team since he says that’s where he wants to end his career. Ultimately the Giants will do something really Giantsy and fire Bam Bam or something.

• Flavor said, on May 8, 2017 at 1:04 pm

exactly. Nothing will happen because they will be so far out of their comfort zone that they won’t want to get screwed. They’ll end up doing nothing. Book it.

• djloo27 said, on May 8, 2017 at 1:25 pm

Cueto is unmovable with all that guaranteed money left on his deal.
        I don’t think a $100 million contract has ever been traded or even anything close to that…

12. djloo27 said, on May 8, 2017 at 1:29 pm

Maybe the Dodgers a few years back when they took on Crawford, Hanley and A-Gon?
    That’s all I can think of but no one would be that dumb again, would they?

• djloo27 said, on May 8, 2017 at 1:30 pm

And none of those guys were pitchers …

• Macdog said, on May 8, 2017 at 2:17 pm

There’s 29 other teams out there, all it takes is one…

13. wilcojoe said, on May 8, 2017 at 1:46 pm

Everyone here is remiss to mention Bum as a trade chip. Obviously his injury puts that on hold until the offseason. It’s obvious he is going to walk in two years, so this would have beeen the primo time to make a blockbuster move. Let’s face it, this is more than a bad penny year. This team is going to suck for the next two years, hopefully not much longer than that. What good is having Bum around the next two years going to do? If you wait until his final year to trade him, the return will be peanuts compared to what they could have gotten this year, had he not fallen off the bike.

14. wilcojoe said, on May 8, 2017 at 1:56 pm

If you want an idea of what Bum would get is in return, take a look at what the White Sox got for Chris Sale. Among the four prospects is Yoan Moncada, the top prospect in all of baseball, who just happened to be named minor league player of the week today.

15. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 8, 2017 at 2:09 pm

I get what you’re saying wilco but there is pretty much no way that that they move the Golden Boy (Posey), Legend (Bum) or Hometown Boy (Craw). Baer will never let go of that market angle.

• wilcojoe said, on May 8, 2017 at 2:13 pm

No way anyone takes on Posey’s contract, so he can be the face of the franchise all by himself. Gofundme probably doesn’t bring back as much in return anyway, so he stays. Who doesn’t have a SS nowadays?

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 8, 2017 at 2:16 pm

Gofundme still cracks me up. I think Bumgarner is one of those guys they back the truck up for so he stays a Giant his whole career. It’s part of the “we take care of our players” culture the club pushes.

• wilcojoe said, on May 8, 2017 at 2:23 pm

Sadly, I ageee Dirt. Which is why their blind loyalty is going to bite them in their asses. It already has with Cain.

• chipower9 said, on May 8, 2017 at 7:21 pm

Posey, Pence, And Craw have full no-trade clauses. Bum, Belt and Shark have limited NT clauses. Not saying a deal can’t go down, but the players will have to agree in most cases. Cueto and Moore the only major pieces who have no trade protection. I say try like hell to deal Cueto before the break, because he’s walking end of year IMO.

16. Flavor said, on May 8, 2017 at 2:44 pm

I wouldn’t just write off the no trade guys. You don’t think Buster wouldn’t want to head back south? Same with Pence. If it was the right deal for the player, they’d ok it.

• wilcojoe said, on May 8, 2017 at 3:03 pm

Good point. Buster would love to go back home to Georgia and they would welcome him with open arms. They could use a big name to help fill the seats in their new yard. He might actually be able to reach the seats in that warm, southern air.

17. alleykat69 said, on May 8, 2017 at 3:47 pm

I doubt Buster would want to go back to Georgia. They stink as bad as we do. Shit they won 68 games last year,at least we made the playoffs and if it wasn’t a pile of steaming shit from the bullpen against the Cubs maybe they get that 4th ring last year?
    Braves are going nowhere( unfortunately like us) and I’m sure Buster would say no fucking way I’ll be part of their rebuild.

• Flavor said, on May 8, 2017 at 4:05 pm

Buster would much rather live in the south than in California.

• alleykat69 said, on May 8, 2017 at 4:22 pm

But his wife likes the Bay Area now. They have a big spread in Lafayette. They packed out of Georgia and their content to raise their twins here now.
        So he’s cutting his southern roots and staying here..

• Flavor said, on May 8, 2017 at 5:28 pm

lol, maybe. Nobody cuts their southern roots though. NOBODY.

• chipower9 said, on May 8, 2017 at 7:13 pm

Well, other than talking to friends and family, and visiting infrequently, I cut those roots.

18. Macdog said, on May 8, 2017 at 4:17 pm

It’s outta here!

19. djloo27 said, on May 8, 2017 at 4:28 pm

They probably pick up an affordable outfielder (like Span) and take another crack at it next year with this same crew mostly intact and hopefully healthy. They still have an even year playoff streak going…

20. djloo27 said, on May 8, 2017 at 4:39 pm

Jagger had better command at Altamont than Moore has tonight…
    (I roll that one out every 2-3 years here)

• Macdog said, on May 8, 2017 at 4:40 pm

Reyes apparently didn’t check the scouting report.

• alleykat69 said, on May 8, 2017 at 4:42 pm

Hells Angels as well!
      Well they got their point across anyway..

• chipower9 said, on May 8, 2017 at 7:12 pm

And it is still a classic…

21. djloo27 said, on May 8, 2017 at 4:54 pm

I thought you’re supposed to waste one outside on 0-2…

• Flavor said, on May 8, 2017 at 4:58 pm

And now he misses pick off play and throws home with SS on bag. Lucked out by striking guy out but wtf is going on with Moore? Head case?

22. Macdog said, on May 8, 2017 at 5:00 pm

It’s a dueling run of negative commentary at work between me and two Mets fans, haha.

• Flavor said, on May 8, 2017 at 5:27 pm

MacDog how many hours a week do you work? You seem like you’re at work 60 hours a week to me

• Macdog said, on May 8, 2017 at 5:29 pm

Afternoon into night, that’s it.

• Flavor said, on May 8, 2017 at 5:50 pm

ah. Seems like more but maybe you just post more often when you’re at work.

23. djloo27 said, on May 8, 2017 at 5:10 pm

Nice double snot rocket by Moore…

24. djloo27 said, on May 8, 2017 at 5:19 pm

Excellent chance that this will be 2 straight years for the Giants without a 20 HR guy.
    I wonder when that last happened in MLB…

25. Irish Kevin said, on May 8, 2017 at 5:59 pm

I am not big on home run guys, the Giants had the greatest HR hitter ever, how far did that get them. He couldn’t even help them win a WS

• djloo27 said, on May 8, 2017 at 6:07 pm

3 innings away…

• Lurker John said, on May 8, 2017 at 6:53 pm

Exactly, Loo.

• Flavor said, on May 8, 2017 at 6:23 pm

Yeah, they lost that WS because of Bonds shortcomings. Jesus Kevin, what the fuck are you talking about?????

• Irish Kevin said, on May 9, 2017 at 12:05 pm

All the talk about the how the Giants have no power hitters. How they have to have homerunn hitters to win. I just don’t get that.

26. djloo27 said, on May 8, 2017 at 6:05 pm

Wow. Maybe 425′ for Buster!

27. Macdog said, on May 8, 2017 at 6:06 pm

It’s outta here!!

28. alleykat69 said, on May 8, 2017 at 6:08 pm

Boy what a prestigious Bomb by Buster!!
    That ball was scalded into the second deck!!

• djloo27 said, on May 8, 2017 at 6:17 pm

Only 401′ according to Yahoo…

29. Flavor said, on May 8, 2017 at 6:21 pm

410. Don’t listen to Yahoo, they just guess.

30. alleykat69 said, on May 8, 2017 at 6:31 pm

Sometimes you just have to say”What the Fuck”!
    Lots of people/fans/media whoever say Buster is now just a off- field doubles/ single dude now.
    But when you turn on a heater like DeGrom has, I would say he’s not a total Punch&Judy hitter. He still can turn on em no problem..

31. Macdog said, on May 8, 2017 at 6:34 pm

Co-worker asked what SOS eyeblack means for Gorkys, I said, “Sack of shit.”

• alleykat69 said, on May 8, 2017 at 6:41 pm

Lol 😆 No Shit
      Just curious do all teams have a version of both a Gorkys& A Triple OOO like we’ve had???And then we throw in a Stubbs&a Rigatoni as well and you wonder why they can’t win..

32. Lurker John said, on May 8, 2017 at 6:47 pm

“Yes, Mac. I was ejected for diving on top of the Giant dugout trying to high-five Brenly after a big HR.
    They were probably 30 games out at the time.
    If I pulled that today, I’d get locked up if not shot…”

Pure gold. If only there were pics…

• Flavor said, on May 8, 2017 at 6:57 pm

so did you get the high five before the ejection?????

• djloo27 said, on May 8, 2017 at 8:13 pm

He was going to, but the cops and security pounced on me before he could. I’ve told the story before. Brenly and I had spoken during BP. I was wearing an SF road jersey (not easy to get in NY in 1984) and was standing among a bunch of 10 year old little Met fans by the SF dugout who were yelling out to him for an autograph and didn’t even know his name. He walked right up to me and told the little brats “I only sign for the Giant fan” and he signed my scorecard. We chatted briefly – I remember telling him I bought his exercise tape which I guess I must’ve heard about because it was a lie. He was all smiles. I wished him luck and he strode off. We almost met again about 10 beers later…

• djloo27 said, on May 8, 2017 at 8:17 pm

BTW, my dad was watching at home and briefly saw my head and outstretched hand on top of the dugout before both abruptly disappeared. I think he was proud…

33. Lurker John said, on May 8, 2017 at 7:04 pm

Meanwhile, on the ESPN broadcast, Tim Kurkjian arrived at the profound conclusion that the Giants are looking for a left fielder, because what they have now “might not be working.”

34. chipower9 said, on May 8, 2017 at 7:08 pm

The question: Did I need to watch? Answer: No.

Next question: Then WHY THE FUCK am I watching?!

• Macdog said, on May 8, 2017 at 7:14 pm

See Loo’s 12:43.

• chipower9 said, on May 8, 2017 at 7:35 pm

Exactly. My comment is in reference to earlier banter about the need to watch.

35. Macdog said, on May 8, 2017 at 7:33 pm

No one wanted extra innings of Giants anyway.

36. alleykat69 said, on May 8, 2017 at 7:36 pm

And theirs your Giants lowlight.
    Remember this latest loss for a chance to win a booby prize, on how Oshit&GasCan can self destruct…

37. zumiee said, on May 8, 2017 at 7:43 pm

It was important to save Melancon for the next inning.

• zumiee said, on May 8, 2017 at 8:01 pm

Has the next inning started yet?

• alleykat69 said, on May 8, 2017 at 8:06 pm

Yeah it’s always important to save Melancon for a lead we never get.He’s on cruise control pitching for us this year.Never pitches till we get a lead, which is never, then can’t pitch in a tie game either to start a inning, so maybe just chuck him out there in a blowout loss to keep the rust off?

38. Lurker John said, on May 8, 2017 at 7:54 pm

Well, let’s see now, 11-22. Yeah, that pretty much sucks. Worst in baseball.

39. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 8, 2017 at 7:59 pm

I caught Kuiper on the radio for the first time in a while. Man, he’s got a serious dislike for Belt;
    “Here’s Belt. Oh for 2 so far. He’s done what Belt does, walk and strike out. He’s also scored a run.” lulz, nice Kuip.

Pence going yard to the opposite field AND a Buster bomb. That was nice. Moral victories in May taste kinda sour.

• Lurker John said, on May 8, 2017 at 8:01 pm

Funny, you don’t hear him say that stuff on the TV side. Wonder why.

• snarkk said, on May 8, 2017 at 10:15 pm

I heard the Buster call of home run. One Buster HR and it’s like the world has righted itself. Belt hits an HR, and its — hey, he should’ve hit it a lot farther…

40. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on May 8, 2017 at 8:02 pm

Agree with previous posts here about not getting mad about this lousy team; sure, why get mad, what good does it do? Baseball is supposed to enhance pleasure in life, not destroy it. But I’m afraid we all got used to that *champion blood* thing, thus making it painful to watch the current edition. Team needs an infusion of that blood again, anybody a champion here and want to donate?… When the team goes bad like this, I tend to want to ask these players, “Have you no pride?”. But of course they have pride. They really just suck, that’s all. They and Sabevans for thinking this would be a competitive team. Other than that, it’s still the same sport and microcosm of life that we all love.

41. zumiee said, on May 8, 2017 at 8:06 pm

The Yankees beat the unstoppable Reds juggernaut 10-4 tonight.

• Macdog said, on May 8, 2017 at 8:10 pm

After getting into Cincy off an 18-inning game that ended sometime after 1 a.m. CST.

• zumiee said, on May 8, 2017 at 8:11 pm

The Yankees played an18-inning game last night.

• zumiee said, on May 8, 2017 at 8:12 pm

Mac said it first. 🙂

42. zumiee said, on May 8, 2017 at 8:19 pm

The Dodgers are up 8-0 in the 3rd inning, as they grow distant in the horizon ahead of us.

• Lurker John said, on May 8, 2017 at 9:11 pm

At least we’ve beat them 4 of 7. That’s about all we have to hang our hats on right now.

43. zumiee said, on May 8, 2017 at 8:22 pm

The relentless zombie Cardinals won, and are now 17-14.

44. snarkk said, on May 8, 2017 at 10:13 pm

Another couple of losses without at least a short winning streak will cement this as a bad penny year. 11-22 means the chance of playoffs is near non-existent. What I hope is that management admits it, and stops this utter nonsense of running out players that have nothing to do with the future of this team. Time to bring up the young guns, and let’s see who can play, who needs more seasoning, etc. Enough of these Gorkys and Parmesano Reggiano stiffs who have absolutely no role in the future…

45. snarkk said, on May 8, 2017 at 10:19 pm

Anybody looking forward to Denard Span coming back to CF?
    So far, a near total bust of a FA pick up. I think Baalke told Sabes to sign this guy…

46. snarkk said, on May 8, 2017 at 11:52 pm

Dubs smoke Jazz in 4.
    Which is more pure — the greatness of play of the Dubs so far this season, or the utter putrid play of the Giants so far?…