“Saint” Louis Blues

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on May 21, 2017

I’m a terrible guest. Before this series started I told Daniel to “enjoy all the W’s coming your way this weekend.” And now look what I’ve done. Lied to a man who’s been nothing but good to us here at The Flap. I feel awful. Say a prayer at church for me today, Shop.

As Arroyo’s hit soared out towards left center in the 13th inning, I was struck by how many empty seats there were at the game. Cards fans leaving early? On a weekend? Huh?

There is obviously something wrong with Mark Melancon. He looks done in Year One. I don’t know anyone who thought this deal would look good for 4 years but to come out of the gate looking so underwhelming, hitting the shelf to rest his forearm, coming back and not looking like he can go two days in a row….I dunno. It’s not looking good for him (or us). Say, maybe the Giants could swing a deal for Casil….nevermind.

There is actual rabble on twitter about the Nats trading for Melancon. Again, WHY would they do this? Because they don’t have a closer? They knew they weren’t going to have a closer as soon as they passed on Melancon in the first place. Now they’re going to trade a prospect for him AND take on that deal AND accept a guy who looks like he’s a few throws away from another TJ?

I think not.

Great two wins in St. Louis so far. The Giants aren’t playing like the best team but they are closing the deal and that is what a winner does. ABC, baby. “Big Old Double Back” Rick taught me that one back in the day. #BODBA4Lyfe.

1. chipower9 said, on May 21, 2017 at 6:43 am

That’s just awful the way you mislead Daniel, Flav.

We left to listen to live music as the rain delay hit in the 10th. I had no cell service, so did not know the score when I got home. Of course I recorded the game, so watched until one down bottom of the 13th, and the damned recording ended! Had to hit MLB.com to ensure they finished the deal.

Not pretty ball, but wins. Pitching was stellar…and the “All Knowing Nunie” strikes again, on the day Flav called for a Cloud Computing win (love the pony’s name given I have worked in IT damn near my entire working life).

Go Gigantes!

• Cardinal70 said, on May 22, 2017 at 3:55 am

All my disappointment came from Craig this weekend. Well, maybe not all of it…..

2. willedav said, on May 21, 2017 at 7:47 am

Looking at BA of Cards LU, lot of them in the .230 range including Carpenter. they sure aren’t fattening up on Giants pitching. Just don’t remember Smardz dealing like that.
    Arroyo’s glove has been great all along and he has knack for clutch hits. Plus he’s had as many bombs as anyone else so I think he’ll get there. Santo is a pretty high bar tho and no one plays 20 yrs any more.
    F/G had column on todays best DP combo, and purely for D, Craw and Panik at the top and most bloggers seemed to agree.

• Lurker John said, on May 21, 2017 at 11:50 am

He dealt like that a few times in the past couple of weeks.

3. willedav said, on May 21, 2017 at 8:28 am

Guess I’m not as down on Melancon as others. He doesn’t look comfortable out there yet (“location mistakes”) and talks to Posey on mound way more than Posey normally does with others. Maybe he just needs more work and save pct goes back up toward what he has done earlier as Giants win more games.

NL East is a joke right now. Nats will grab someone if current situation for closer doesn’t improve.

Love to have JD Mart but Tigers are right behind Tribe so I doubt he goes anywhere.

4. djloo27 said, on May 21, 2017 at 8:48 am

Shoptawk Ridge should hang here year round. It’s not always Giant talk, plus it’s good to get the perspective of someone who lives in such a strange place…

• willedav said, on May 21, 2017 at 9:00 am

much as we rag on Giants inconsistencies for relievers, Cards seem to have pen issues too.
      Didn’t they hit a lot of HRs last year? As of today they are way down in runs scored and HRs too, and park is playing like ATT. Wonder what Daniel would say is reason behind it—weather related?

• Cardinal70 said, on May 22, 2017 at 3:54 am

Sorry guys, wasn’t trying to avoid you but wasn’t online a lot this weekend. Busch Stadium has always played as a pitcher’s park in its history, though not to the extreme like AT&T. I’d imagine the rain this weekend didn’t help much with the balls leaving the yard–when it dried out yesterday it seemed to help a little bit, huh?

And I’d not trade Arkansas for anything, especially that incomprehensible West Coast…… 😉

• Flavor said, on May 21, 2017 at 9:57 am

totally agree. Everything I know about Arkansas I’ve learned from Shop. 🙂

5. djloo27 said, on May 21, 2017 at 8:56 am

There’s a lot of talk on radio etc, about possible causes of all the injuries to pitchers in recent years. I haven’t heard anyone suggest my theory which is the invention and use of the MRI. The injuries aren’t knew, they’re just diagnosing them and giving them names. Years ago, everything was a sore arm that you pitched through – got shelled – and ended your career at 30…

• willedav said, on May 21, 2017 at 9:06 am

Doesn’t appear baseball minds at any level including ML have any clue. That book Zum mentioned by Passan goes into it a lot. MDs are performing TJ surgeries on HS kids and lot of guys in ML are trying to pitch with body parts taken from others.
      Lot of different theories and ways to prevent elbow/shoulder injuries but not sure science is there yet. Doesn’t seem to be a lot of coaches etc out there to trust.

6. gianthead said, on May 21, 2017 at 9:12 am

My caveat with Melancon is whether he is hurt or not. I just have not had the chance to see him throw this week. But here is the pressure on NATS ownership. The fan base wants them to win now. They are not going into the second half without a bona fide closer. They can’t rely on untested young arms in the playoffs. The fan base wants Melancon back (again assuming he is healthy).

And my original point is that by potentially picking up his contract, the Nats will be able to offer just a low level prospect…so they really are not coughing up anything of value except cash.

If the Nats do not pick up a closer and they flounder this off–season, the fan base is going to be pissed off here…

• alleykat69 said, on May 21, 2017 at 9:34 am

Screw the low/tier prospect GH,They want him badly enough offer at least their OF prospect Victor Robles,speed,arm,power everything the Giants need..
      The Nats fucked up by not resigning him in the off season.Then again maybe Melancon didn’t want to resign their once the Giants opened up their tight wallets and he said like they all do..”Yeah I’ve always wanted to be a Giant”

• djloo27 said, on May 21, 2017 at 9:37 am

Except Jackie Robinson, Kat-
        He chose Chock Full ‘O Nuts over the Jints…

7. djloo27 said, on May 21, 2017 at 9:38 am

1. Denard Span (L) CF
    2. Joe Panik (L) 2B
    3. Christian Arroyo (R) 3B
    4. Brandon Belt (L) 1B
    5. Brandon Crawford (L) SS
    6. Eduardo Nunez (R) LF
    7. Nick Hundley (R) C
    8. Mac Williamson (R) RF
    9. Matt Cain (R) P

• alleykat69 said, on May 21, 2017 at 9:57 am

Bummer anytime I see Nick the Dick Hundley’s name in the LU..
      But Boch is right on this one, Posey caught 2 straight long extra inning games so he needs a blow. Available for a big PH will do..

8. alleykat69 said, on May 21, 2017 at 9:51 am

Disagree the Giants aren’t playing like the better team. They have come into farmland USA and taken 2 straight extra inning games with rain delays to boot. Giants are making the Cards look like the 2nd rate team in this series.The pitching has held strong,their defense making plays,with some help by dumb Cardinal base running ,unbelievable AB by Arroyo 12 pitch battle and smokes it off the wall for the game winner!
    Even Posey yelling at Belt to keep that runner honest at 1st that he stole but it was close ( which could of ended the game)says he’s all in focused and really the team leader out there!
    Get this SWEEP would be huge!!Go Giants!!

9. djloo27 said, on May 21, 2017 at 10:29 am

Nice to daydream about, but really?

10. willedav said, on May 21, 2017 at 10:45 am

2016 Cards led NL with 225 bombs, 6 guys over 20 Jed Gyorko (!) hit 30. They were also first in doubles 2nd slugging 3rd OPS.
    This year 13th HRs with 42. Giants dead last with 33.
    Loo is right.
    Ron Santo legit HOF middle LU stick for countless years. 3-4 yrs 30 + bombs 100 rbis and excellent fielder. Arroyo has long way to go let’s put it that way.

11. snarkk said, on May 21, 2017 at 10:46 am

Even Marty Lurie this morning figures Melancon — something not right with the dude. He and Bruce Jenkins agreed he should go back on the DL to get right, if possible. Why would Nats want a guy back that looks like he’s about to have arm surgery? I predicted he’d have 2 good years, then the last 2 of the 4 would suck. That looks like wishful thinking…

12. Pasalon said, on May 21, 2017 at 11:25 am

Will decide today if my unauthorized Matt Cain “Perfect” t-shirt I bought outside AT&T a few years ago should still be part of my wardrobe.

• sandog said, on May 21, 2017 at 11:33 am

C’mon. 3 wins and a scoreless bottom of the 1st today? You gotta keep that thing in the rotation.

13. djloo27 said, on May 21, 2017 at 11:46 am

Mac sucks…

• Lurker John said, on May 21, 2017 at 11:57 am

Took the words right out of my mouth. When his career tanks, which looks inevitable at this point, he will only have himself to blame. Sucks ass.

• chipower9 said, on May 21, 2017 at 12:03 pm

When’s Parker eligible? Have the waterboy grab a stick and glove…

14. willedav said, on May 21, 2017 at 11:49 am

that inning sucked for sure. Hit and a walk followed by old man Waino striking out the side.
    took Giants 13 innings to score yesterday and they still haven’t done jack vs. Cards SPs.

15. djloo27 said, on May 21, 2017 at 11:55 am

Curt Flood is the Moe Greene of baseball, not just St. Louis.
    And there isn’t even a plaque, or a signpost or a statue of him in that town…

• Lurker John said, on May 21, 2017 at 11:57 am

Moe Green. lol

16. Lurker John said, on May 21, 2017 at 11:55 am

Fucking Cain.

17. Lurker John said, on May 21, 2017 at 12:00 pm

Nice inning dude.

18. Lurker John said, on May 21, 2017 at 12:03 pm

Now you just hope the guy can eat some innings.

19. chipower9 said, on May 21, 2017 at 12:05 pm

Not putting a lot on today’s game. They have won the series regardless of the outcome today. Would be good to hit the road with a win and sweep, but sweeping a good team, especially on the road, is tough (especially for a team like this year’s Gigantes).

20. Lurker John said, on May 21, 2017 at 12:09 pm

That was a shot by Arroyo.

21. djloo27 said, on May 21, 2017 at 12:09 pm

It’s hard to “conga-line” your way back from a 4 run deficit.
    A bomb or two would sure be refreshing…

22. djloo27 said, on May 21, 2017 at 12:20 pm

Affeldt has learned to stifle himself but he is a bore.
    Definitely not a natural, doesn’t have a great voice, and I’m sure doesn’t need the paycheck.
    I wish Timmy would take a crack at it. Great voice…

23. snarkk said, on May 21, 2017 at 12:36 pm

Why not PH for Cain there? Yeah its a little early, but Cain has nothing today. The longer he’s in, the better the chance for giving up a killer homer or about 4 hits in a row. Bochy waiving white flag, even though they’re only down 3. Do the Giants even have a long man now? Whatthehell happened to Suarez?…

• chipower9 said, on May 21, 2017 at 12:45 pm

With four in Chitown next, Bochy is probably trying to save the pen.

• snarkk said, on May 21, 2017 at 12:51 pm

Like I said would happen. There’s the two run dong on Cain. Highly predictable.
      Game over, sans a minor miracle.
      Adios Flappers…

24. zumiee said, on May 21, 2017 at 1:25 pm

Loo, I have to admit, I need the #10 photo explained. Yankees?

25. zumiee said, on May 21, 2017 at 1:28 pm

This is a nice website listing all the Yankee retired numbers. They’ve been generous with retired numbers.

• zumiee said, on May 21, 2017 at 1:30 pm

Not updated with Jeter yet.

26. zumiee said, on May 21, 2017 at 1:58 pm

Gearrin ain’t fooling anybody.

• willedav said, on May 21, 2017 at 7:55 pm

Only people he’s fooling are the Giants who think he can get hitters out.

27. Flavor said, on May 21, 2017 at 4:18 pm

Did any of you see Posey yelling at Belt in the handshake line yesterday? Apparently he was fed up with him being a dumbass (paraphrased from Baggs). Anyway, neither would talk about it today.

28. Flavor said, on May 21, 2017 at 4:30 pm

29. alleykat69 said, on May 21, 2017 at 4:51 pm

Belt fucked up my 9:51 post explained it.Posey had a shot and probably would of the thrown the runner out if Belt did his job, can’t blame Posey to get his grill..

• Flavor said, on May 21, 2017 at 4:54 pm

hey if I played with Belt I’d probably kick his ass daily.

• snarkk said, on May 21, 2017 at 5:02 pm

You can keep on kicking half the Pen and all the OFers except span at the moment– your leg will get tired…

• willedav said, on May 21, 2017 at 8:08 pm

Unlike every other Giant, Posey is out hitting him.

• willedav said, on May 21, 2017 at 8:01 pm

If Belt did that on his own he owns it, but only players know that it wasn’t Wotus or Bochy involved. Posey had he seen it could have called time and a meeting on mound to let him know it was a bad idea.

30. Flavor said, on May 21, 2017 at 7:45 pm

Chicago gonna be interesting…..

• zumiee said, on May 21, 2017 at 8:09 pm

• Flavor said, on May 21, 2017 at 8:22 pm

interesting? If Blach makes it thru that LU tomorrow night twice without getting blasted I’ll consider it a victory

31. sandog said, on May 21, 2017 at 9:12 pm

…and we face Lackey? When the hell is this guy gonna retire? 2002 still sticks in my craw and seeing him on the mound pisses me off even more.
    Could you imagine if we hadnt won any of these rings and still had to dwell on that debacle?

• sandog said, on May 21, 2017 at 9:15 pm

…and LeMaster would be on my disliked Giants list. I second the motion on Manny Trillo and must confess i never cared much for Candy Maldonado either—though his efforts in that fight with the Cards were outstanding.

32. zumiee said, on May 21, 2017 at 10:14 pm

What’s up with Scoscia still managing the Angels? That team is going nowhere, organization-wise.

• Flavor said, on May 22, 2017 at 5:52 am

I’ve thought this several times. Glad to see someone else wondering about this. Talk about “time for a change.” That owner must just love the guy and Angels fans don’t give a shit about anything except rally monkeys and those stupid noise makers they smash together like damn idiots.

33. zumiee said, on May 21, 2017 at 10:15 pm

I can see the point about Trillo. A mediocre player with a prickly personality.

34. zumiee said, on May 21, 2017 at 10:18 pm

I used to dislike Estes, but he’s won me back a little as a broadcaster.

35. snarkk said, on May 21, 2017 at 10:59 pm

The national media pole smoking of LeBron is beyond ridiculous…