This Is No Old Friend

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on May 26, 2017

Do you guys have games you remember for absolutely no reason? Every time I see Jaime Garcia’s name, I think of this game:

Screenshot 2017-05-26 at 5.55.53 AM

Back in 2010, it was a hot day in St. Louis. Giants were coming off a long road trip. It was a Sunday. And Jaime Garcia went through us like a hot knife through butter. 89 pitches. He was positively Greg Maddux-like.

Of course, we won the World Series that year. But I remember feeling a great sense of disdain for our team that day.  Just for the hell of it I went back to the archives to gauge the mood of Flappers that day. It was not good:

bigflavor said, on August 22, 2010 at 2:13 pm (Edit)

Garcia is a guy who always labors! It’s one of the reason he never gets deep into games. Yet he sails through our line up in 89 pitches. Get-a-way day, looking forward to getting home, hot ass day after a night of boozing….all this = one thing: we mailed this one in. Too bad the media guys can’t tell us what the team really spent the night doing last night….

There were a lot of characters back then, take a look for yourself:

Anyway, Jaime Garcia, the ultimate journeyman, is pitching against us again tonight. Different location. Different weather. Different team. Once a young man, he’s now in the twilight of his underwhelming career.

Just please don’t let him shut us out again in 89 pitches……

1. zumiee said, on May 26, 2017 at 6:28 am

Those posts were fun to read. Jed?! Blasts from the past.
    Here was my only post. Broxton LOL.
    “zumarust on August 22, 2010 at 4:36 pm
    I was in the Sierra all weekend, out of cellphone range. Had no idea how the Giants were doing. Got home in time to see Broxton get lit up again.”

2. chipower9 said, on May 26, 2017 at 6:47 am

Thanks, Flav. I do not recall that game, but will go back and read the posts. Some of those old threads/posts are great fun.

Fuck! That series with the cubbies pissed me off! Our boys had so many opportunities to win games and take that series, but instead we got the typical bullshit (either the pitching rolled-over like a hot whore, or they could not get the key knock with RISP).

But, as frustrated as I am, I am not giving up on the season. There is still a lot of ball to play.

3. alleykat69 said, on May 26, 2017 at 7:44 am

Lmao Chi with the whores!
    Atleast with the whore you end up with production not like the Giants who couldn’t even score in a cathouse right now..

4. willedav said, on May 26, 2017 at 7:48 am

thx what a fun read. Edd, edgoodson, Delmar, twin, stix (Belt and Craw post wow) et al.
    How about Blade’s post at front end on ross, “I think we’re lucky to have him.”

Uribe at SS, lol. Nowadays if you did that the guys on F/G would blow up about his range/DRS or something.
    We sure look at things differently these days.

Giants finally do get a crack at likes of Atl and phils soon. Played top teams tough.

5. willedav said, on May 26, 2017 at 7:57 am

were the game and thread posts done before or after the rant meeting called by Sabes to get after the SPs?
    I know he was often pretty effective but I couldn’t stand Rueter, classic nibbler. And of course K and K constantly going off about him every time they came to StL.

6. willedav said, on May 26, 2017 at 8:28 am

Saw a line of reasoning that said Panik’s first 100 ABs weren’t much better than Arroyo’s. If you send Arroyo back down, is Nunez back at 3b? I’d let the kid stay myself and more RH bats the better. I’m not normally a play the kids guy but I’d like to see Mac as a regular and even Slater come up, Hwang too
    I just don’t see point of Gorks Ruggs Morse Hill, replacement guys at best who unfortunately have been way worse. Slater had been playing some CF in Sac. so why not give him a look out there.

If Giants don’t get closer soon they could start putting out feelers by placing guys on waivers and seeing what happens.

• snarkk said, on May 26, 2017 at 9:01 am

They can waive all those short timer dudes and maybe 1 gets picked up. I’d say likely all get through waivers after a DFA. Those guys are all out of baseball or in Japan soon…

• chipower9 said, on May 26, 2017 at 9:53 am

I am so in agreement with you on Arroyo and letting Mac play everyday, and dumping the retreads like Hill, Morse, Gorks, etc.

7. zumiee said, on May 26, 2017 at 9:05 am

Boxscore fun facts:
    Blanco: .293
    Aoki: .265

8. chipower9 said, on May 26, 2017 at 9:58 am

Those were some great posts…thanks again for sharing, Craig. Not sure where the fuck I was that day, but I do have a tendency to get busy competing with my dog or chasing Gail around the house, and will then miss a couple of days on the Flap.

Man…wish some of those guys were still around more regularly: Twin, Stix, TesSpe, DelMar, jJed, and Edd (while he still posts, we don’t see as much as we once did), oh, and where in the hell is James?!

Interesting to see how the Flap has changed over the years. Thanks for keeping it going, Flav…YOU DA MAN!

9. chipower9 said, on May 26, 2017 at 10:50 am

Chip Kelly with a new gig, but it does not entail drawing-up Xs and Os on a football field…

10. wilcojoe said, on May 26, 2017 at 11:13 am

Greetings from Atlantic City! I am currently trying to pry myself out of my hotel room at Bally’s (I made a quick getaway from a business trip in Newark) if any of you east coast flappers want to join me? I literally do not remember getting back to my room last night. Never good when you notice an empty bag from Dunkin Donuts next to your bed when you wake up.

One of the last things I remember last night was having a lengthy conversation with a smoking hot “lady of the night ” at the video poker bar at Ceasers. She grew up in Moraga, went to high school at Monte Vista. How a young girl from Blackhawk ends up as a hooker in AC is a great question. I wish I could remember her answer. She did give me her number on the back of a pack of matches. I like her style, very old school, for a twenty something. Watch me drunk dial her tonight.

Anyway, time to shower and hit the boardwalk. I need a sausage and peppers sandwich to soak up the booze from last night.

• chipower9 said, on May 26, 2017 at 11:32 am

LMAO…great story, Wilco. Enjoy, and we’ll be looking for “The Happy Hooker, Part Deux.” (And damned good question how a young lass goes from Blackhawk to hooking in AC…I would love to hear that story.)

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 26, 2017 at 11:38 am

Having spent my high school years blowing through a bunch of Blackhawk Betties I am not surprised by her vocational choice.

• Macdog said, on May 26, 2017 at 12:02 pm

How long will you be in AC?

• djloo27 said, on May 26, 2017 at 12:04 pm

Gonna hit the big city? Finnerty’s?

• wilcojoe said, on May 26, 2017 at 12:26 pm

I should be back in Newark next month, I will try and give you and Mac a heads up.

• snarkk said, on May 26, 2017 at 1:43 pm

Better hang on to the matchbook, Wilco. The Giants can’t score, somebody needs to… 🙂

• Macdog said, on May 26, 2017 at 12:30 pm

I’m about 50 miles north, easy trip, damn, I’d be tempted to come down later tonight if I didn’t have to be back at work tomorrow.

11. Macdog said, on May 26, 2017 at 12:11 pm

I remember that one, it was a national TV game, probably on TBS, so I wasted what was likely a nice summer Sunday to watch our guys meekly wilt vs. the Cards. Funny reading those posts pre 1st World Series, you can feel the anxiety even seven years later. I checked the standings after that game, the Giants were 6 back of the Padres, who would soon be coming back to the Giants in large part due to a sweep by the Phillies. Giants also were 2 back of the Phils — the Braves held 1st place in the NL East — for the wild card. That, too, would soon flip-flop. Cards didn’t even make the playoffs that season.

12. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 26, 2017 at 1:03 pm

Garcia is just another journeyman in a long line of mediocre pitchers that have befuddled the Giants offense. I’ll be at the game on Monday and am less than enthusiastic. A cha-cha bowl will probably make me feel better.

• zumiee said, on May 26, 2017 at 1:43 pm

I’m a huge believer in the cha-cha bowl’s ability to make someone feel better.

13. snarkk said, on May 26, 2017 at 1:38 pm

I would stick with Williamson an play that dude every day until the break. It’s his chance to do or not. At his age, he’s either going to make it, or might as well be done with him. Unfortunately, he better hit a lot, because his glove is made of tin out there…

14. alleykat69 said, on May 26, 2017 at 2:16 pm

Jamie Garcia?
    Shit we couldn’t hit Jerry Garcia right now!
    But since he’s dead, the Giants ketch a break..

• Macdog said, on May 26, 2017 at 2:48 pm

Or this Garcia:

LOS ANGELES – UCLA pitcher Rachel Garcia went the distance, and it was a really long road to the finish.

Garcia threw 232 pitches for the complete-game win in the Bruins’ 8-7 victory against Mississippi in the opener of the NCAA softball super regionals.

15. gianthead said, on May 26, 2017 at 3:19 pm

Well at least I don’t remember that game…being late August was likely in the Adirondacks.

So need to catch up on most hated Giant…I think far and away or was Armando Benitez!!!

Coincided with the worst period in Giants recent history over last 20 years. But in particular was at a game at PNC, I’ve told this story, with my oldest and we withstand a torrential tstorm downpour. And since I am not driving all the way back to Virginia after driving all the way there that morning, we wait out the rain delay.

The game then goes extra innings. Todd Linden of all people (so must have been 2007?) hits a home in the top of the 11th. I’m going nuts, Pirates fans start taunting me and then Benitez comes in to close it out…Nuff Said…

Biggest disappointment Giant was probably Matt Morris…I expected a lot and he utterly failed…

16. Macdog said, on May 26, 2017 at 4:07 pm

Hill back up, Okert out.

• zumiee said, on May 26, 2017 at 4:10 pm

Hill instead of Tomlinson, what a bunch of baloney.

• Macdog said, on May 26, 2017 at 4:45 pm

I’m with ya.

• djloo27 said, on May 26, 2017 at 8:54 pm

17. zumiee said, on May 26, 2017 at 4:09 pm

Lotta low batting averages in the A’s lineup tonight vs. the Yankees.

18. unca_chuck said, on May 26, 2017 at 6:51 pm

I seriously don’t get the infatuation with washed up flotsam and jetsam at the cost of guys like Tomlinson.

19. alleykat69 said, on May 26, 2017 at 6:53 pm

It’s like secretly the Giants organization looks in on the Flap and all notice the right moves from us that should be made, for their team, and they just laugh out loud and keep us all pissed 😡 off by keeping the Gorks,the Morse,the Ruggianio,the Hill,the Stubbs of all things( who was best at Stubbing his toe)the Gearrins,Shit Hundley sucks too who else can we toss away that they keep??

• zumiee said, on May 26, 2017 at 7:23 pm

You can toss Kontos on that heap, in my opinion.

20. snarkk said, on May 26, 2017 at 7:46 pm

Don’t understand Hill back on 25 and not Specs.
    Makes no sense from a competitiveness POV. Probably some money angle, as usual.
    And, Okert goes, but Osich stays? I would have done the opposite. Neither is dependable to get outs, but Osich seems like he comes in and immediately some bad shit happens…

• Lurker John said, on May 26, 2017 at 8:01 pm

Oshit…

• djloo27 said, on May 26, 2017 at 8:03 pm

We could be entering a long period of garbage.
      Wouldn’t be the first time.
      Just keep the fake sellouts going…

21. zumiee said, on May 26, 2017 at 8:19 pm

Rockies 10, Cards 0.
    That’s taking care of bidness.

22. djloo27 said, on May 26, 2017 at 8:30 pm

Colorado is so much better than SF, it’s not even close. Blade knew it and he fuckin’ hates them.
    Get used to 4th place for awhile…

• zumiee said, on May 26, 2017 at 8:32 pm

Yep. Well said.

• djloo27 said, on May 26, 2017 at 8:34 pm

Thank you.

23. zumiee said, on May 26, 2017 at 8:34 pm

Williamson should play ahead of Cheese-man. We need to see if Mac is part of the future.

• djloo27 said, on May 26, 2017 at 8:37 pm

Mac is definitely part of the future,
      A shitty one…

• zumiee said, on May 26, 2017 at 8:39 pm

lulz!

24. djloo27 said, on May 26, 2017 at 8:43 pm

Take the 3 miraculous titles to the grave.
    Tell your grandchildren to be patient…

25. zumiee said, on May 26, 2017 at 8:45 pm

That crab sandwich costs $18. It’s a pretty ridiculous price.

• djloo27 said, on May 26, 2017 at 8:52 pm

Pence & Smudge each make a million crab sandwiches a year…

• alleykat69 said, on May 26, 2017 at 9:02 pm

I gotta get that!
      Then again I gotta not get that at $18 crabs 🦀

26. alleykat69 said, on May 26, 2017 at 8:57 pm

The utter joy of a Rugganio AB drives me immediately to making a stiff drink 🍹 since nothing good will happen anyway..

27. Lurker John said, on May 26, 2017 at 9:03 pm

Well, that was a clusterfuck of a play.

• zumiee said, on May 26, 2017 at 9:05 pm

What was Cain doing on that play? He’s supposed to be backing up the catcher.

28. Macdog said, on May 26, 2017 at 9:03 pm

I should’ve gone to AC.

29. Lurker John said, on May 26, 2017 at 9:05 pm

It’s hared to envision a scenario in which Mac Williamson suddenly figures it out and becomes a productive Major League outfielder. You can play him every day from here to eternity, it ain’t going to matter. He’ll be on the Bowker scrap heap before too long.

30. zumiee said, on May 26, 2017 at 9:06 pm

Bochy looks like he swallowed a sedative.

31. djloo27 said, on May 26, 2017 at 9:07 pm

Nice shot of Bochy napping on the railing.
    He must want out so bad…

• Lurker John said, on May 26, 2017 at 9:10 pm

All he has to do is say the word.

32. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 26, 2017 at 9:11 pm

Yeah, that was a sad shot of Bochy. With the club doing absolutely nothing at the plate, it’s a vintage Cain game.

33. Lurker John said, on May 26, 2017 at 9:18 pm

.186 avg .236 obp .297 slg per. I’m not sure how an utterly anemic line like that warrants keeping Arroyo with the club. Because he plays good D? We already have enough guys like that. He’s currently mired in a 6 for 52 black hole of a slump. Send him back to Sac. Meanwhile the Dodgers guy, Bellinger, is tearing it up.

• zumiee said, on May 26, 2017 at 9:27 pm

The Giants are getting to a point where they have to decide what this season is about.

34. Lurker John said, on May 26, 2017 at 9:28 pm

The new IBB walk rule just saved this game from being a whopping one minute longer. Those guys running MLB are really on the cutting edge.

• djloo27 said, on May 26, 2017 at 9:45 pm

I’m grateful…

• alleykat69 said, on May 26, 2017 at 9:46 pm

Do they really have to go with 4 fingers to motion a guy to 1st?Save more seconds with just the middle finger to me..

• Lurker John said, on May 26, 2017 at 9:51 pm

LOL

35. theroooster said, on May 26, 2017 at 9:46 pm

Right between the wickets

36. zumiee said, on May 26, 2017 at 9:50 pm

Kontos turns 32 next month and Krukow is talking about him like he’s a young pitcher.

37. djloo27 said, on May 26, 2017 at 9:53 pm

Kontos in English means lost cause…

38. zumiee said, on May 26, 2017 at 9:54 pm

I never liked that trade of Alex Wood to the Dodgers. It always seemed like a goof by the Braves.

39. Lurker John said, on May 26, 2017 at 9:56 pm

This team is boring again.

40. Bozo said, on May 26, 2017 at 9:58 pm

I need to get an oil change for the bus…yeesh.

• xoot said, on May 26, 2017 at 10:00 pm

engine rebuild, quick, from some genius mechanic in a gas station on the edge of the Mojave Desert

41. xoot said, on May 26, 2017 at 9:58 pm

Hundley sucks. He has no throwing arm and he can’t hit a lick. Of course, the rest of the team sucks, too; but that’s a separate discussion.

42. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on May 26, 2017 at 10:00 pm

Well, Craig, it took ’em 118 pitches, not 89, to get shut out this time, so….. there’s that… I guess…..

43. theroooster said, on May 26, 2017 at 10:01 pm

The NL East is weak sauce, everyone but the Nat’s just pathetic. Cards get shellacked by Rocks tonight and the Dodgers dominate the Cubs. Central ain’t much either.
    “The west is the best” – Jim Morrison

• zumiee said, on May 26, 2017 at 10:44 pm

In other words, someone could make a case that we have a good idea who the 5 NL playoff teams are going to be.

44. Macdog said, on May 26, 2017 at 11:09 pm

000000000range Friday.

45. snarkk said, on May 26, 2017 at 11:29 pm

Very accommodating of the Giants to give Braves their first shutout win of the year.
    Now SF has moved into sole possession of being the worst scoring team in MLB.
    Giants truly suck, and have done since last July.
    How much longer to wait before blowing up this POS team?…

46. snarkk said, on May 26, 2017 at 11:32 pm

I have an idea to speed up the game. We know that now waiving 4 fingers now counts as the intentional walk.
    So, Bochy at the start of each of the first 3 innings ABs for the Giants can just waive to the Home ump with fingers signaling a zero — meaning no need to actually take ABs since the Giants won’t hit or score anyway. Saves time…

47. mrsprtdude said, on May 27, 2017 at 2:03 am

Well I spelled it out, and since then we have lost 4 in a row??? FUCK

48. willedav said, on May 27, 2017 at 7:26 am

Flav strikes again. Hard to believe this guy could do this, but he did plus a rbi.

Snarkk, what I meant by putting guys on waivers wasn’t the scrubini replacement guys but some of the regulars in the LU, plus Moore Smardz. See if someone contending would be interested in taking them on and what you could get.