When Everyone Is In The Wrong

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on May 30, 2017

Who was worse yesterday? Idiot Strickland for doing a slow burn on a thousand day old grudge that was his fault to begin with? Or Posey who watched men fighting the same way we did through our tv? There is also an argument that both were equally in the wrong.

Posey had to do something. Even if you don’t want to fight, you can’t just watch for as long as he did. He had to do something. It can’t be that he makes a lot of money and because of that he’s not allowed to go out there. Smarge has a 70 million dollar deal and he flew into that scrum like a linebacker playing in his last college bowl game. Smarge was Candy Maldonado reincarnated and it was fantastic.

If you’re Posey and 2 things happen immediately 1) you knew he was gonna do it and/or 2) you didn’t think Harper was going to go out there, it’s reasonable to assume he wouldn’t react immediately. But to just stand there motionless, for several seconds, and then jog out to the pile only to do an quick bee line jump to the left of it, I dunno….that’s pretty weak, man. Plus, he had on all his catchers gear. He couldn’t have been more protected if he’d gone out there in bubble wrap.

There is no defense for what Strick did. He put a stupid grudge above the team and above winning. Here’s an idea dipshit: try getting the guy out for once. He has now endangered his fellow teammates who are now targets for retaliation and he endangered the teammates who had to awkwardly drag him off the field. It’s disappointing we don’t have a bullpen that can withstand his demotion.

Frankly, if you are looking at who you want in your “fox hole” I don’t think you want either guy. One is afraid to fight and one is all about himself and simmering on shit that has nothing to do with the team or winning.

It was a stupid event that masked another embarrassing performance by our offense. As fans who want to see the team start winning consistently, yesterday was a complete waste of time.

1. chipower9 said, on May 30, 2017 at 7:07 am

Hard to argue your points all around, Flav. I was out and about running errands but had the radio on. So, from that perspective, I was saying “damn, cannot wait to get home and see the video.” (I had the game recording.)

The part that bothers me more than anything about this is the part where it is almost guaranteed that the Nats will retaliate either today or tomorrow, and as you said, that puts one of our guys potentially in harms-way. Senseless bullshit.

I liked Strickland when he first broke in, but that was like 107 years ago, and the dude still is basically a one-trick-pony. Fucking moron.

And yes, Posey should have done more. He could have at least chased after Harper and tried hold him back, but to do nothing was not a good look.

I have really tried to stay positive with this team and the “there’s a lot of ball left mantra,” but that shit is running outta gas real fast. This team needs to catch fire in all phases of the game, and I just wonder hard if they have the ponies to make that run.

2. unca_chuck said, on May 30, 2017 at 7:31 am

Harper’s what? 24? That was his 9th ejection. Fuck him. He’s the pussy for going after Strick. I’m sure Strick warned his teammates. But he didn’t go for Harper’s head. That’s something.

Strick is a little off base but that’s baseball. These guys hold grudges if you watch a home run for more than a nano second. Harper screamed his way around the bases and from the dugout back in 2014 after both his shots.

Frankly Strick shouldn’t be suspended. Harper was trying to throw his helmet at Strick. No doubt about that. Strick’s intent to hit him? Prove it. Strick is prolly dumb enough to admit he DID do it on purpose but really he was defending himself. Posey? Oh well. Strick s a big boy.

• Lurker John said, on May 30, 2017 at 8:01 am

Following up on my post below, if that’s why Strick is carrying this grudge, I guess I can see that, meaning hitting Harper for watching his homer or talking shit around the base paths and from the dugout.

3. willedav said, on May 30, 2017 at 7:33 am

ESPN guys mentioned this and Schulman too—Pence trying to drag Strick away was a no no, entering the field as a guy on the DL, and could also draw suspension. So even tho he is still apparently a week away he could have to sit another game or two.

See if SF gets anything out of Calixte kid (.287 with 8 bombs playing CF and IF), who might stick around even if Nunez is OK. Hmmnn.

4. sandog said, on May 30, 2017 at 7:38 am

I actually like Bryce Harper and always have. Somewhere in the archives of this blog is a post by me suggesting we trade Buster (who I don’t think was even in the big leagues yet) for Harper. But, Harper is an abrasive guy who runs his mouth a ton. I’m sure Strick told himself in 2014 that the next time I face that guy and the conditions are right, I’m drilling him. So happens, yesterday was the day. Good for him for staying true to himself.
    I’m ok with what Strick did and totally fine with Buster and others for staying out of it. Let the musclehead dudes like Strick and Smarge and Morse fight while everyone else stays the hell out of it.
    It was all good, in my opinion. Maybe it sparks the team a bit, maybe it doesn’t.
    At least it stirred things up around here—- and like the man said, there ain’t be nothing wrong with that.

5. chipower9 said, on May 30, 2017 at 7:38 am

Charlie makes a good point about grudges. On KNBR this morning they mentioned that Dusty said he still has grudges from his playing days. Each situation is unique, I suppose, and each player handles that shit differently.

6. willedav said, on May 30, 2017 at 7:40 am

Oh nice post from Dirt who will be able to tell everyone he was there years from now, unlike 50 thou others who will make it up.

looking over blog posts on cbs site, not a lot of sympathy for Harper. dunno what that says about bloggers supposed to be baseball fans.
    Personally Harper is on podium with Puig and Hanley for most annoying ballplayers around.
    Times past you went to 1b and figured out what to do to beat other team/not give pitcher any satisfaction he hurt you.

7. sandog said, on May 30, 2017 at 7:45 am

Am I out of line for thinking it is kind of lame that Nunez is in the concussion protocol because he got hit in the helmet on that play at the plate? I mean, its not like that ball was coming in there like a 90 mph heater.
    Easy for me to say I know, but I was watching that game and the thought that Nunez may have gotten a concussion on that play never even crossed my mind.
    Is Dickey going through the protocol as well? He took the ricochet off his unprotected dome.

• Flavor said, on May 30, 2017 at 7:50 am

Diggity I’m still trying to wrap my brain around your 3-day shower hiatus AND THEN a game of pick up basketball. How did did that go over on the court? I’m aware that courts don’t ever smell like roses but 3 days is a long time.

• Lurker John said, on May 30, 2017 at 7:59 am

They measured his skull and it turns out it’s much thicker than the average cranium, so, no, no concussion protocol for Dickey.

8. Lurker John said, on May 30, 2017 at 7:58 am

Good post, Flav. I may be wrong about his, but I always understood it that you threw at a guy as retaliation for one of your guys getting thrown at, not because he hit a goddamn home run off you. I’m interested in hearing different takes on this. Guys hit home runs. It seems chickenshit to me to drill him for doing his job, even if he is a putz like Harper.

9. Flavor said, on May 30, 2017 at 8:00 am

I didn’t hear the entire interview, but kuip was on KNBR this morning saying he “loved” what Posey did. Said it was the right thing to let those 2 fight. Said that Posey doesn’t join celebration piles either because of the screws in his ankle, doesn’t want to get stepped on.
    This isn’t really adding up to me. I have NEVER seen a catcher just sit there and watch for that long. I’m also surprised that an old school guy like Kuip so easily washed off Posey’s responsibilities…..

10. willedav said, on May 30, 2017 at 8:07 am

Dawg don’t get me started on today’s ballplayers and their numerous injuries. I dove constantly for ball as an OF and a headfirst slider on bases, on fields a lot less pristine, and only got hurt once (2b turned a knee into me on a tag play on throw from OF and gave me a black eye). I’m sure all of us who played have similar experiences.

Nowadays, despite all the advances in, travel, nutrition clubhouse amenities and training youth ball yada yada these guys can’t stay on the field. Sure Loo has a valid point that injuries can be diagnosed and treated with rest and rehab today that weren’t years ago, but it’s still only baseball where you stand around
    the field half the game and sit the dugout the other half.

11. chipower9 said, on May 30, 2017 at 8:27 am

Just saw an article on CSNBA, and Strick denies throwing at Harper intentionally. I doubt that, but at least he is smart enough to say there was intent. It is interesting reading all the different perspectives, but regardless of where you stand on this topic, it is going to be interesting tonight.

• Lurker John said, on May 30, 2017 at 8:56 am

Looked to me like a classic drilling, a fastball right on the gluteus maximus. Given the history between the two, it’s hard to believe it was an accident. He’s probably just covering his ass.

12. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 30, 2017 at 8:54 am

Strickland doesn’t seem like the sharpest tool in the shed. He’s probably been down in the bullpen talking shit about Harper to whoever would listen for the last 3 years so he had to plunk him. The late innings of a lost game during a sunk season, when is there a better time? I’ve watched the replay a couple of times and I still don’t understand what Morse was trying do there. In slow motion he seems to be just jogging by with a “what’s up, fellas” look on his face right before he and Samardzija bumped into one another. Dude is a total goofball.

Sandawg mentioned in the thread yesterday that now everyone gets to pile on Posey for being a huge puss and I’m seeing a lot of that mentioned in social media. A caller on KNBR mentioned his privileged status and how it bothers him. Another one saying he’s lost the team. I don’t know about all that but Posey has had a golden boy status and now people are relishing the opportunity to finally dog him over something. Whatever. I’m just glad he’s hitting some bombs again this year.

13. willedav said, on May 30, 2017 at 9:10 am

Well, Strick has only hit 4 guys in his entire career. This one went right where he intended I’m sure.

Other news: Beede got hammered for 6 earned in 6 innings pitching in Reno for Sac, ERA now 3.93 21 walks in 55 innings. hmmnn.
    slater 2 for 3 double and HR now batting .317. Jones couple more hits Hwang rbi double.

Other than vet love, anything to make of Bochy PHing Morse for Mac and then leaving him in to play 1b and shoving Belt to LF? Mac hasn’t done much but he’s only had less than 40 ABs.

I’m just done watching dead weight guys like Morse Hill Ruggiano Gorks—I’d take any new blood combo Specs Slater Hwang or Jones and Calixte of young guys that would bring a different look and maybe give Giants an eye to the future…however dim that may be. I just don’t see the others as future Giants that would help the team in any way going forward so why bother now?

• Flavor said, on May 30, 2017 at 9:14 am

people think I make too big of a deal about this stuff but Beede is all over social media celebrating his love for his soon to be bride. To me, chicks should come second to a career that hasn’t started yet. I’m not saying don’t get married, but just focus a little more time on your craft and less time on stupid social media posts. Wait till you produce, get a huge contract. Then you can spend the twilight of your career making dumb videos with your wife and serving up coffee at Peets (Pence will be doing that with his bride later today at 11am).

14. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on May 30, 2017 at 9:15 am

Yeah, on one hand, the ‘pen perhaps couldn’t really handle a demotion (letting one or two of these losers go) because obviously you need someone to replace them. On the other hand, when most of your relievers suck, maybe it’s better to have fewer of them.

15. willedav said, on May 30, 2017 at 9:30 am

Evans job has to be to figure out who are 25 guys who can give Giants best chance to compete with LA.
    Emergence of Blach as legit SP, pen still to be figured out and of course ultimate destination of Cueto and Cain.

Rest of the roster of largely underperforming hitters is another story. Who is part of the solution/part of problem and how do they get better at scoring runs for the SPs.

16. Bozo said, on May 30, 2017 at 10:42 am

I was so distracted by the helmet throw, that I quit paying attention to the brawl. Really, a major league player goes to throw a helmet at someone and it goes wide right, doesn’t even come close. Was it just a ruse so everybody was watching the helmet bounce as he charged the mound? Seriously, I can’t even watch the replays without tripping on the helmet throw.

• Flavor said, on May 30, 2017 at 11:29 am

ha! I wondered the same thing. Like “i’ll throw this helmet over HERE and maybe you won’t notice the right jab I’m about to throw at your face…”

17. alleykat69 said, on May 30, 2017 at 10:54 am

Did not see the game I was concentrating counting cards at the blackjack table at Peppermill, ( like the movie 21) did alright and luckily not enough to be taken down stairs in a room to engage with Mr. 5 Fingers Brass Knuckles guy..
    Hey I’m old school though, and back in the days like even George Brett and others charging the mound and fists flying the umps let them all do it with no suspensions and they kept playing, which I think is cool 😎..Different era’s now and their a bunch of candy asses like Clint Eastwood would say..

• Flavor said, on May 30, 2017 at 11:30 am

they let you play with a single deck? Poker room in the Peppermill is nice

• unca_chuck said, on May 30, 2017 at 12:45 pm

You can count with 2 decks, but after that it gets messy

18. Flavor said, on May 30, 2017 at 11:38 am

i don’t think Harper should get extra days because of the helmet throw. He seems to have intentionally thrown it AWAY from his ultimate target. At least that’s what I’d argue if I was Harper.

• Bozo said, on May 30, 2017 at 12:53 pm

I think he might’ve blown that excuse with this statement.

“I was just trying to go after him with the helmet or just myself. I was just trying to do what I needed to do to keep it going, I guess. I don’t know. In that situation, you see red. You just try to do the best you can and get out of there and not get crushed by one of their teammates coming in.”

19. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 30, 2017 at 11:42 am

Strickland has been having a pretty good year. With this latest incident being both stupid and making Posey look bad, what are the odds he’s traded at the deadline? I’m betting he’s gone.

20. sfsarge said, on May 30, 2017 at 12:03 pm

Been out of the loop quite a bit lately, very busy with my kids. My oldest daughter graduated high school this weekend with her AA degree, so many graduation ceremonies and dinners and lunches. Missed pretty much everything and didn’t even hear about the fracas until this morning. Watched the video online and it was surprisingly a real fight. Don’t get Posey though. Even if he thought Strick was out of line (which, yeah he probably was), he should have been in there. Like P-con loves to say P-U- 55-y.

• chipower9 said, on May 30, 2017 at 12:16 pm

Congrats to you and yours on your daughter’s graduation, brother! Be proud.

21. zumiee said, on May 30, 2017 at 12:42 pm

For what it’s worth- Ken Rosenthal reported on the MLB Network that “a source close to the story” told him that Strickland had made it known to Posey that he was going to throw at Harper, and he wanted no interference if Harper charged the mound.

If true, I assume other Giants players knew, too. Most of the infield guys took their time getting to the mound.

22. unca_chuck said, on May 30, 2017 at 12:52 pm

Yeah, that’s exactly how it looked. The one I can’t forget is El Presidente hopping like the energizer bunny in the Phillies game . . . ! Too funny

23. alleykat69 said, on May 30, 2017 at 1:25 pm

Think it was the Shower Hour show guy Pecon? Anyway he was bringing up Krukoe when he pitched for the Cubs and he nailed Dave Winfield who went after him but the catcher closelined him just before he could throw a haymaker, so yeah catchers are usually right there in the fracas which kind of makes Posey look weak just sayin..

24. Macdog said, on May 30, 2017 at 2:33 pm

Pawlie just re-tweeted this Flannery tweet:

“If Strickland is gonna hit everyone that homered off him, he’s gonna reach his pitch limit.”

• snarkk said, on May 30, 2017 at 2:36 pm

Flan with the POTD…

25. snarkk said, on May 30, 2017 at 2:33 pm

Kuip literally hung up on his KNBR show this morning when they kept pressing him about Posey’s inaction. An hour later, Kruk said Posey has standing orders not to join in the scrums due to his ankle. I can believe that, or not. The fact is this team is lameass right now and needs an injection of players to revive itself. If rather see youngsters up and flailing than these current retreads and never was guys flailing to get a hit…

26. djloo27 said, on May 30, 2017 at 2:45 pm

If Zumie’s 12:42 post is accurate, than Buster’s absolved. BTW, for a so called “donnybrook”, I didn’t see anyone throw a punch other than the 2 antagonists…

• sfsarge said, on May 30, 2017 at 2:53 pm

I’m with you Lol…its still amazing in this day and age to that after one lunch was thrown the other player returned the serve. There’s usually just a bunch of pushing, yelling, and pointing.

• sandog said, on May 30, 2017 at 2:59 pm

I bet Zumie’s post IS accurate. I posted the same theory yesterday less than 10 minutes after the fight.

27. snarkk said, on May 30, 2017 at 2:47 pm

Congrats to Sarge on his daughter’s graduation. And, the older Snarkette is graduating from high school this Friday…

• sfsarge said, on May 30, 2017 at 2:50 pm

Thank you! And congrats to the Snarkette as well.

• chipower9 said, on May 30, 2017 at 4:46 pm

Very cool, Tom! Congrats all around.

28. Macdog said, on May 30, 2017 at 3:27 pm

Pav: Strickland gets six game suspension, Harper gets four.

• zumiee said, on May 30, 2017 at 3:35 pm

Seems about right.

• zumiee said, on May 30, 2017 at 3:39 pm

Can’t suspend Morse and Smarj for running into each other.

29. Macdog said, on May 30, 2017 at 3:37 pm

Also: Orlando Calixte is playing left field tonight and leading off.

30. Macdog said, on May 30, 2017 at 3:54 pm

And Williamson back to Triple-A.

31. Irish Kevin said, on May 30, 2017 at 3:57 pm

From what I have heard radio news articles, Posey pretty much babysat Strickland during the Nats playoffs telling him not to do anything stupid, so Posey pretty much new he was not going to be able to control Strickland yeasterday. So he decided not to try and stop Harper cause it was going to be a waste of his time. I can still remember the pain my knee gave me whe I injured it. I can only imagine the pain Posey felt when that injury happened, I don’t blame him for sitting that one out.

32. wilcojoe said, on May 30, 2017 at 4:33 pm

Listened to the podcast of Kuip’s KNBR segment this morning. He mentioned holding a grudge for 35 years against a KC pitcher that once hit him on purpose. He wouldn’t say his name but said that he finally confronted him for the first time since the indicident about two years ago in an AT&T elevator. Said he was a broadcaster for another team.

Dying to know who it was. I am guessing an American League team that we played during an interleague game.

33. Flavor said, on May 30, 2017 at 4:40 pm

check out the timestamp on this:

34. chipower9 said, on May 30, 2017 at 4:44 pm

1. Orlando Calixte (R) LF
    2. Eduardo Nunez (R) 3B
    3. Brandon Belt (L) 1B
    4. Buster Posey (R) C
    5. Justin Ruggiano (R) RF
    6. Aaron Hill (R) 2B
    7. Christian Arroyo (R) SS
    8. Gorkys Hernandez (R) CF
    9. Jeff Samardzija (R) P

• Flavor said, on May 30, 2017 at 6:03 pm

it’s an absolute embarrassment that this team has a 200 million dollar payroll and this is the shit they trot out there. Unreal, actually.

35. chipower9 said, on May 30, 2017 at 4:45 pm

Holy shit…take a look at that Murderer’s Row OF. SMH…

36. gianthead said, on May 30, 2017 at 5:02 pm

Well it looks like Posey’s first response in his interview says everything…he basically took Harper’s side. That just can’t happen with your captain and leader. Fine if he does not want to get hurt. He could have ran after Harper and just try and corral him around the waist and if Harper slips away so be it. But what Posey did do was just to leave his guy out there to defend himself. I think there will be some internal dissension over this…

• gianthead said, on May 30, 2017 at 5:03 pm

Bit Arroyo has no excuse. He is shuffling with his bat, you would think he would be all in to show his teammates if he has heart or not..

37. Flavor said, on May 30, 2017 at 5:07 pm

there’s a lot of talk on radio out here that Strick told Buster what he was gonna do and to not come out there if they fought.

38. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 30, 2017 at 5:16 pm

I don’t get all the Posey is or isn’t their leader talk. Management clearly wants to push that angle but from the outside looking in, it seems like the players gravitate more towards Crawford.

39. snarkk said, on May 30, 2017 at 6:35 pm

1. Can a Musclehead like Strick have the unilateral authority to put a batter on by hitting him in a close game knowing full well there’s a chance he’ll get run somehow, and that free pass could end up being an Add On run? Wouldn’t Bochy either have to Ok that, or Strick face Bochys wrath for doing it on his own?…

• theroooster said, on May 30, 2017 at 6:59 pm

I saw Bochy on TV – it was either ESPN or MLBN – earlier today saying he had a “sit-down” with Strickland, basically saying he “set him straight”, in other words, he told Strickland that he was an idiot, and don’t be surprised if you find yourself sent packing…

40. wilcojoe said, on May 30, 2017 at 6:42 pm

It looks to me like Posey’s immediate reaction based on his body language was, “you have got to be kidding me. You dumb fuck. You’re on your own asshole.”

41. xoot said, on May 30, 2017 at 7:09 pm

So stricknine will appeal and then leave a hole in the pen when the suspensions enforced. Can’t replace a suspended player. Wonder if that topic came up in the Bochy meeting. Bochy just highlighted it on the radio pregame

42. snarkk said, on May 30, 2017 at 7:12 pm

Why Calixte and not Ryder Jones or somebody else?
    Mac Williamson just shot his wad on the best chance he had to prove himself. I probably would have given him another two weeks, but hey, this team is toothless with the bats. Time for him to enjoy a AAAA career…

43. alleykat69 said, on May 30, 2017 at 7:16 pm

I might be wrong, which happens a lot, but is Harper playing tonight? Thought I saw on B/R that’s he’s in the LU. So he must be appealing it?
    That’s the shits, cause maybe Stricknine isn’t as dumb as everyone thinks, cause the Giants would of came out much better in that trade off..

44. alleykat69 said, on May 30, 2017 at 7:20 pm

Morse phantom concussion list 7 days. Good news Specs is back up👀
    What did Morse get a concussion holding Posey back lol..

• Flavor said, on May 30, 2017 at 7:22 pm

Smarge smashed into him during the fight. It was legit, it doesn’t surprise me he’s hitting the DL

• xoot said, on May 30, 2017 at 9:02 pm

I surprised Morse can suffer a concussion

• xoot said, on May 30, 2017 at 9:02 pm

I’m

45. djloo27 said, on May 30, 2017 at 7:20 pm

You know Harper’s putting one in the water tonight…

• Flavor said, on May 30, 2017 at 7:22 pm

Oh my God please let it be off Strickland. Can you IMAGINE that home run trot?

46. Flavor said, on May 30, 2017 at 7:21 pm

Morse just hit the DL with a concussion from yesterday. Not a huge hit to the team but another dunce mark on Strick’s record.

47. djloo27 said, on May 30, 2017 at 7:29 pm

Wilco: Kuiper was hit by 3 KC Royal pitchers in his career that I could find…

Doug Bird (1975)
    Dennis Leonard (1976)
    Larry Gura (1979)

Any of them broadcasters?

• Flavor said, on May 30, 2017 at 7:36 pm

none of them are broadcasters. But this is great work from you to compile this list so quickly.

• djloo27 said, on May 30, 2017 at 7:38 pm

At my age it was exhausting…

• wilcojoe said, on May 30, 2017 at 8:06 pm

Nice work Loo. Like Flav says, none of those guys are broadcasters. It wouldn’t be the first time Kuip misspoke.

48. zumiee said, on May 30, 2017 at 7:40 pm

Belt looked overmatched against Gio.

• Lurker John said, on May 30, 2017 at 7:47 pm

So did Ruggiano. More of the same…

49. zumiee said, on May 30, 2017 at 7:43 pm

And….the Cheese-man is not a #5 hitter.

50. Lurker John said, on May 30, 2017 at 7:50 pm

This goddamn team is a joke.

51. Macdog said, on May 30, 2017 at 7:51 pm

Pos-E.

52. Pasalon said, on May 30, 2017 at 8:01 pm

Dear Satan,

Please play the Southwest Airlines commercial with a woman singing, “I’m so confident, unstoppable today” and a bunch of confetti falling over the guy with a beard at least once every break. I haven’t seen it enough this season.

• zumiee said, on May 30, 2017 at 8:09 pm

It’s over-used, definitely.

• Flavor said, on May 30, 2017 at 8:13 pm

FQB

53. theroooster said, on May 30, 2017 at 8:02 pm

Rockies shoved down into 2nd place tonight

• zumiee said, on May 30, 2017 at 8:07 pm

That’s alright. We Giants fans get a kick out of watching the Dodgers get eliminated every year.

• theroooster said, on May 30, 2017 at 8:10 pm

Plenty ‘o kicks to be had last buncha years

• zumiee said, on May 30, 2017 at 8:14 pm

Believe it or not, I’m just about ready to pull for the Dodgers over the Cubs in the playoffs.
        So tired of the media Cub-mania. Although the mania has faded a little with the Cub’s struggles.

• djloo27 said, on May 30, 2017 at 8:50 pm

• theroooster said, on May 30, 2017 at 8:51 pm

I’ll choose “or not”. 🙂

• theroooster said, on May 30, 2017 at 8:52 pm

Nice Loo!!!

• djloo27 said, on May 30, 2017 at 9:22 pm

See what I do for you, Rooster?

54. Macdog said, on May 30, 2017 at 8:10 pm

X-man!

55. zumiee said, on May 30, 2017 at 8:10 pm

New guy!!

56. willedav said, on May 30, 2017 at 8:17 pm

wow good for the kid.
    when I saw Gio was pitching I wondered if he’d retaliate vs. LH, like Craw for example.

57. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on May 30, 2017 at 8:29 pm

Team could use another “new guy” or two. Make that a *good* new guy or two. There are at least 3, maybe even 4, “bats” that I would love to never see in the lineup again, and the same amount of relievers. How many relievers do they have now? 7, 8? Cut that down to 5 or 6 because really, how much worse could 5 or 6 be than the 7 or 8, and free up a couple other roster spots for bats… *good* bats… and get rid of the *no bats*….

58. alleykat69 said, on May 30, 2017 at 8:45 pm

You would of thought Steve Stone ( ex giant and Whitesox announcer) would of hit Kuiper once just cause of the humiliation I’m sure he endured for giving up Kuiper’s only HR in the bigs..

59. alleykat69 said, on May 30, 2017 at 9:03 pm

Morris sure adds more gas ⛽️ to this nightmare. Can’t pitch, Can’t field, basically just sucks…

60. xoot said, on May 30, 2017 at 9:05 pm

Arroyo just made a good routine play and Krukow gushed like it was an Omar miracle

61. zumiee said, on May 30, 2017 at 9:11 pm

“I’m surprised Morse can suffer a concussion”

Awesome, Xoot. 🙂

62. djloo27 said, on May 30, 2017 at 9:13 pm

Can’t wait to see what they are able to unload at the deadline…

63. zumiee said, on May 30, 2017 at 9:16 pm

I’ve got the latest episode of Better Call Saul waiting for after the game. That’s cool.

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on May 30, 2017 at 9:18 pm

I stream shows and films on a VNmese streaming site which for some reason is now about 3 weeks behind on the new Saul episodes. Giddyup, people, whoever you are downloading those episodes…. Also new season of House of Cards about to start, I always binge watch that. Shameless, however, is still many months away from season 8. Ah the stupid little things we live for….

• djloo27 said, on May 30, 2017 at 9:21 pm

I’ll say…

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on May 30, 2017 at 9:22 pm

:-p

• zumiee said, on May 30, 2017 at 9:27 pm

I haven’t seen those other two shows yet.
        The Sundance Channel has been doing a MASH binge. The show holds up well. I found myself enjoying episodes yet again.
        Trapper: “Nice suit, Hawkeye.”
        Hawkeye: “Thanks. It’s been in my family for generations. My grandfather was buried in it.”

Does any show write jokes like that anymore? They’re almost vaudeville jokes.

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on May 30, 2017 at 9:32 pm

Shameless is one of my favorites. The only show I’ve ever seen that consistently leaves me with my mouth agape and jaw dropped, thinking “I can’t believe they just showed that….”….

64. alleykat69 said, on May 30, 2017 at 9:22 pm

Yeah Xoot he also said that if Morris was in perfect finishing position he would of fielded that hotshot back at him that went into center!
    Krukow can really get under my skin at times for a career .500 pitcher as a (Commander McBragg guy old cartoon series) that he knows everything about the game in any moment.. He was in his mind the perfect pitcher, arm slot, fielding mechanics, knowledge of every player he faced,batting title award for pitchers I’m sure he felt he deserved that a few as well, along with HOF considerations for longevity…

65. snarkk said, on May 30, 2017 at 9:26 pm

The starting last 4 position players in the LU.
    The Mendoza Four…

Ruggiano .217
    Hill .129
    Arroyo .187
    Hernandez .182

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on May 30, 2017 at 9:33 pm

I have high hopes that Arroyo will be fine. Those others? Drop them out of the plane on the next road trip. Up to Loo whether or not they deserve parachutes.

• alleykat69 said, on May 30, 2017 at 9:38 pm

They didn’t give Dave Chappel (cue ball) a parachute in “ConAir” I say forget it P/A..

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on May 30, 2017 at 9:43 pm

I shouldn’t really like that film, it’s pretty lightweight, but I actually do like it. “Define irony: a bunch of psychotic convicts, dancing on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash….” ….

• snarkk said, on May 30, 2017 at 9:59 pm

Yeah, I say let Arroyo stay up the season. He’ll be far more ready for next season. I don’t see a point of him going down to Sac unless he gets to the point he’s just overmatched. I don’t think that’s the case. The other dudes — no future. So, what’s the point of them continuing their flailing?…

66. alleykat69 said, on May 30, 2017 at 9:35 pm

Snarkk I just calculated the math.
    The bottom feeders ( Mendoza line are seriously below that as the esteemed 4 are averaging ..177!!
    Oh Shit Arroyo just got a hit it’s recalculating time again…

67. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on May 30, 2017 at 9:47 pm

You know, Loo, that “2017 Year of the Rooster” thing could turn out to be true, for the Dodgers this year…. No way the Giants are catching them in the West, and it could finally be the year for them… ugh….

68. snarkk said, on May 30, 2017 at 9:51 pm

Hey Paul,
    If you want to do a mini Flapalooza that first weekend of August with the Dbacks, I have a feeling that Club seats on StubHub will be pretty cheap…

69. zumiee said, on May 30, 2017 at 9:58 pm

Werth is a hairy dude.

70. snarkk said, on May 30, 2017 at 10:13 pm

It would be nice if Osich for once could get people out quickly and no drama…

71. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on May 30, 2017 at 10:21 pm

Yeah, Tom, that first weekend in August is still a possibility, as we’ve discussed here a bit. I’m still working on my US trip schedule, and it’s dependent on a work gig in Hanoi that I might or might not have to get back here for… Will keep you posted.

• snarkk said, on May 30, 2017 at 10:24 pm

OK, sounds good…

72. djloo27 said, on May 30, 2017 at 10:29 pm

Eduardo Perez looks and sounds a lot like Barack Obama to me…

73. zumiee said, on May 30, 2017 at 10:32 pm

The new guy struck out on ball 4.

74. snarkk said, on May 30, 2017 at 10:43 pm

How ’bout a rally in bottom of the 9th?….

• snarkk said, on May 30, 2017 at 10:48 pm

Uh, how ’bout a 1-2-3 slinking into the night…

• blade3colorado said, on May 30, 2017 at 10:59 pm

Tom, I didn’t see the game . . . Looking at the box score and trying to figure out why “Alphabet” only pitched 4 innings, giving up 3 runs, 9 hits. Was he injured or just plain bad?

• snarkk said, on May 30, 2017 at 11:10 pm

I came to the game late.
        Miller’s highlights say Samardzzzz got hit early and often the first two innings for 3 earnies, along with some bad throw by Posey. Then he sort of settled down the next 2, gave up nothing, but by then at end 4 had thrown 100 pitches, so they pulled him. Morris gave up 3 runs, including 4 hits in a row, Morris booted a play on a bunt, and a run walked in to total the 6. Game over…

75. zumiee said, on May 30, 2017 at 10:53 pm

There are these guys that come to the Giants, like McGhehee, Smarj, and Span, and some others, who’ll say “I’m glad to come to the Giants, on a team that has gone to the World Series several times, etc.”
    Well, those guys need to DO STUFF to help the team have that kind of success. You can’t just show up. DO SOMETHING. That’s how it works!

• blade3colorado said, on May 30, 2017 at 11:25 pm

Down with what you just said. Read my last post.

76. snarkk said, on May 30, 2017 at 11:02 pm

This team just flat stinks. The outfield is an embarrassment.
    With all these scrap heap guys shuttling in/out, there’s no there, there. No energy, no mojo, bad chemistry. Like BF said in this thread, the Giants front office has some big time ‘splainin to do for nearly $200MM. This season is done, looks like something out of the wasteland ’70s. Time to make lemonade out of this lemon year…

77. alleykat69 said, on May 30, 2017 at 11:15 pm

New guy just a the latest novelty act management is trying out.Maybe set a record playing all 3 outfield positions tonight in his first game.
    Just grasping for straws, every game to put a OF together that never works.

• snarkk said, on May 30, 2017 at 11:23 pm

KNBR says Calixte was the 9th, the NINTH, starting LFer so far this season, not even into June. That is beyond pathetic …

78. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on May 30, 2017 at 11:17 pm

What’s shocking to me is that not only did the Front Office do NOTHING beyond signing Melancon during the off-season, when everyone else knew it wasn’t enough…. but even more so, how we’re now just about into June and the lineup STILL sucks big time. Wish I could be a fly on the wall of that *front office*. Would love to know what they talk about. “Um, candlesticks are always a nice gift…” …

79. blade3colorado said, on May 30, 2017 at 11:22 pm

I’m beginning to absolve the front office of major blame for this cluster fuck of a season. Something you just said Zum, crystallized thoughts that have gnawed on me for some time. This is my reasoning . . .

In 2014, we had our last hurrah. The front office has responded the last 3 years with one of the highest payrolls in MLB. Alphabet, Cueto, Hudson, Span, and Melancon added. Humongous contract for Cain, and major contracts for Crawford and Belt. Nunez and Moore added last season for playoff run. In short, they retooled.

That being said, I was one of the loudest about upgrading left field, which wasn’t done. I also thought we made a MAJOR mistake not adding Jansen and instead, going for Melancon (who I thought was finished and still think will go belly up sometime this season). Last, but not least, big, big mistake I said on numerous occasions not adding the dirt cheap Greg Holland as insurance.

However, I totally get the Front Office saying, “Okay boys, put up or shut up. We have $200 million plus invested and we’ll pour more money in at the trade deadline, but you have to do your part.”

Which brings me to what Zum just said about Span, Alphabet, Moore, etc. You want to be a Giants player? Then start fucking playing like one.

• snarkk said, on May 30, 2017 at 11:27 pm

I think the FO saying the players have to put up or shut up is BS. That’s total shifting of any responsibility for putting this POS roster together. If you spend a ton of money on an expensive car that’s alway in the shop, you’re the one that made the bogus choice to spend the dough on a lemon….

• blade3colorado said, on May 30, 2017 at 11:38 pm

Hindsight is 20/20 . . . For me, you, everyone. Majority of Flappers all endorsed Span, Alphabet, Moore, and Nunez being added to the team. Cain mega contract – same thing. All of them have been mediocre or face planted IMO. Regarding the outfield, they were counting heavily on Pence and Span to have normal seasons, with Parker and Williamson being adequate. Remember, left field has always been more or less an abyss since Bonds retired.

80. snarkk said, on May 30, 2017 at 11:36 pm

31 of the 54 games so far, the Giants have score 3 runs or less. They are 16-7 in the other games where they’ve scored 4 or more…

• blade3colorado said, on May 30, 2017 at 11:46 pm

Tom, no disagreement on this team being less than putrid. I’m​ just saying the FO put together this team, which most, if not all Flappers thought was going to the playoffs this season. Am I right on that point? If yes, than how can you say it’s ALL on the FO? 538 indicated we were favored to go to the playoffs before this POS season started. They, along with many other experts, GOT IT WRONG. It happens.