Phucked in Philly

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 2, 2017

After an epic beat down that the Dubs dropped on The LeFlops last night we now turn to an epic let down that is the San Francisco Giants. I know The Phillies haven’t been good this year but you know what’s good for a bad team? The Giants. I’m actually looking forward to being back in another bandbox to see if the Cinny trip (where we were outscored 31 to freaking 5) was an aberration or if our offense really is that bad no matter the park they play in.

Philadelphia has a bunch of hitters I like who are under-performing. You know Tommy Joseph wants to go off. I really like their lead off hitter Hernandez and Freddy Galvis who bats down the order— 2 fast guys who can give them a “Billy Ham Light” effect. Their entire team is slow to start this season, just like the Giants, but they are young and I hold out more hope for them coming around than the aged and underwhelming group Bochy will trot out today. Belt should like hitting here and a bomb or two tonight would go a long way to us keeping pace with this fellow last place team.

Anyone else tired of hearing Steve Kerr stories about him coming back to coach in the playoffs? Enough already. He can’t do it and frankly will just be a distraction if he does come back. Interim coaches seem to do pretty well with this team and their amazing interim record can certainly call into question just how much Steve Kerr does in the first place.

1. willedav said, on June 2, 2017 at 7:26 am

Losing the series to these guys who definitely suck. And speaking of suck, in their bandbox yard no one on their team has more than 8 HRs and they are 11th in runs. Bad offense, worse pitching.
    M Franco is hitting .216 O Herrera .218 Galvis .227 (with 3 SBs, so don’t see much threat there.
    Their pitching, mostly young except for retread J Hellickson, is dead last in league with most SPs ERA 5-ish.

Maybe on another thread, but dunno what there is not to like about Kerr, players he has and staff around him.
    Sure better than preacherman Jackson era. Everything I’ve read players have deepest respect for him.

• Flavor said, on June 2, 2017 at 8:01 am

you watch. These guys will wake up vs us. They were much better hitters last year. Still young. Could easily get back to hitting well, probably against us. But really, if we don’t figure out how to hit the damn ball consistently and productively we’re fucked.

2. unca_chuck said, on June 2, 2017 at 7:54 am

Mark Jackson is a great indicator of the job Steve Kerr has done.

3. dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 2, 2017 at 7:54 am

If the “Billy Ham Light” effect lasts more than 3 days call the opposing team’s GM.

4. unca_chuck said, on June 2, 2017 at 7:56 am

The media is the machine cranking out stories about Kerr. It ain’t coming from the building. In other words, I’m sure everyone on the team knows good and well that Kerr isn’t coming back to coach in the finals. In fact I’m pretty sure he’ll announce his retirement after the season ends. Barring (as he said himself the other day) a miracle cure.

He’s obviously got major health problems that are fucking with his head.

• Lurker John said, on June 2, 2017 at 1:41 pm

No question the Kerr stories are media-driven. I’m sure Kerr would be happy if he never had to hear one again. Kudos to Kerr and Meyers for bringing in a talented coach like Mike Brown just in case of a situation like this. If that’s not foresight, I don’t know what is.

BTW, I think Kerr’s latest procedure has worked and that he is getting better. I anticipate him being back to full coaching duties next year. As I understand it, the aftereffects he’s been suffering lasting this long are extremely rare.

5. wilcojoe said, on June 2, 2017 at 8:03 am

I like the same young Phillie hitters as you Flav. Of course when they come thru for you as under owned sleepers on DraftKings that doesn’t hurt either. Same can be said for a few of those young Padre bats. By the way, for those of you that don’t play DFS, I can’t recommend it enough. I won another $350 the other night on a $4 entry. It’s really does make the season so much more enjoyable when the Giants suck. If you deposit $100 bucks, you can easily play every day for the rest of the season without having to add a penny to your account. Hell $20 could do the same for you as well.Not too many other forms of gambling can promise you that. We could even create a league of Flappers and play $1 games every day. Nice low level stakes, to keep things fun around here.

I liked seeing that guys like Blade and Zum (among others here) are in favor of a rebuild even if it means dealing some of our “good Giants.” I kind of miss the days of following the guys on the farm like we did pre 2010. It was exciting seeing the potential of guys like Lincecum, Panda, Posey, Bum, Crawford and others every night and eagerly awaiting their call to the show. Give me that for the next two-three years and I would be a much happier Giants fan than the one I am today.

• Flavor said, on June 2, 2017 at 10:20 am

great post. i’m working on 7 straight profitable nights in a row including popping Papagates for $50 heads up last night. Really does pass the time during this lost season.

6. dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 2, 2017 at 8:06 am

Baggs wrote a piece earlier this week saying that this team is boring in the club house and missing the fun interactions between teammates. Paraphrasing but basically they’ve got too many white boys.

7. willedav said, on June 2, 2017 at 8:38 am

what I meant to say was losing this series to a crummy team like Philly would suck. The Reds have some hitters like Votto and Cozart, Philly ones have really struggled.

Flav does have a point most of their hitters are down from last year but even then they gave up 180 more runs than they scored and lost 90 after fast start. This year they are already down 50 runs in differential; the hitters just can’t keep up with how crummy the pitching staff is in that bandbox yard where everyone else rakes.

I liked Herrera Hernandez and Franco too and thought they would be better this year, instead they are worst team in ml at 17-34.

Nice column from blade end of last thread, thought provoking considering how Giants have long list of overpaying vets and keeping them around too long. Hmmn.

• wilcojoe said, on June 2, 2017 at 8:59 am

Yeah the Walsh philosophy was a great read.

• Flavor said, on June 2, 2017 at 10:20 am

you wonder if Sabean reads that and his head explodes.

• unca_chuck said, on June 2, 2017 at 10:49 am

They didn’t do it with Will Clark and that pissed me off.

8. snarkk said, on June 2, 2017 at 10:46 am

I would be crazy to bet that the Giants would take the series against the Phills. I would be surprised if they do…

9. unca_chuck said, on June 2, 2017 at 10:47 am

With the current deals the team is under, I don’t see how they keep Bummie. He’s thrown this season away with his escapades, which isn’t helping, but it looks like they have to wait until next July to move him. Assuming he comes back at some point late this year.

10. unca_chuck said, on June 2, 2017 at 10:48 am

If the proverbial we can’t beat up the dregs of the east then we are miles away from contending.

11. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on June 2, 2017 at 11:06 am

Personally, 3 seasons ago, this would’ve been a fun series for me, as my Dad was a big Phils fan, and over the previous 20 years or so we’d always enjoyed talking about Giants/Phils series through emails and phone calls. I was lucky enough sometimes to be visiting the folks during those times and able to watch together…. including game 6 in 2010. Now, it’s still a potentially interesting series; these are 2 fairly equally *bad* teams, according to records and standings, but Philly seems to finally be in rebuild mode, something their fans were demanding 5 years ago. The Phils have already crashed and are now climbing their way up, if of course their youngsters pan out, always a huge “if”.

On the other hand, the Giants seem to be on the other side of the hill. And as I posted in the last thread, Sabes did it before… resurrected a last place team in just one year, his first year as GM. Trouble is, he’s pretty much the architect of this current last place team, so…. I’ve been pretty close sometimes to tuning out, but I firmly remain loyal and very curious to see how it all plays out ….. if they make changes. If status quo continues for weeks on end without changes… uh….uh…….

12. dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 2, 2017 at 11:16 am

I’d be fine with a fire sale but I just don’t see the team having a fundamental shift in their philosophy and going all in on a sell off like the A’s. I tend to agree with those that have said new front office leadership is needed.

13. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on June 2, 2017 at 11:36 am

Mac and Loo (sounds likes a Kraft instant dinner), I’ll be in NJ for a week in mid-July, how ’bout an East Coast mini-Flooza….

• djloo27 said, on June 2, 2017 at 1:38 pm

Let’s make it happen!

14. Flavor said, on June 2, 2017 at 11:39 am

Cheese House closed for good.

15. alleykat69 said, on June 2, 2017 at 11:52 am

Yeah you take your choice on OF dumps!
    Gorky&Morse next please!!

16. wilcojoe said, on June 2, 2017 at 11:56 am

I still think it’s pretty hilarious that Morse got a concussion (dangers of concussions aside) from accidentally head butting Smarge during the brawl. Even Harper had a pretty good line about. Something about Morse saving him from getting pounded by Smarge.

17. wilcojoe said, on June 2, 2017 at 12:35 pm

Just read a tweet from one of the Astros beat writers who thinks Cueto will be a serious target for the club.

• Flavor said, on June 2, 2017 at 12:41 pm

right on. Have at him!

• Lurker John said, on June 2, 2017 at 1:44 pm

He’s exactly what they need and I’m sure he wouldn’t mind going to a WS favorite for their stretch drive. We ight be able to pull a couple of nice prospects out of that rich Astros farm system.

18. djloo27 said, on June 2, 2017 at 2:04 pm

Cueto’s got $100 million guaranteed if he doesn’t opt out, which I think he’d be crazy to do.
    Are the Astros or anybody else up for that?
    I doubt it, unless a portion can be offset by taking back a shit contract in return, which rarely happens.
    I spent half a decade trying to trade Zito for Vernon Wells or Alfonso Soriano.
    Last year I wanted to dump Cain for Jayson Werth…

• wilcojoe said, on June 2, 2017 at 2:19 pm

I think the Giants would be willing to eat some of that money in order to get better prospects in return.

• wilcojoe said, on June 2, 2017 at 2:21 pm

And I don’t think Cueto’s contract is nearly as bad as Zito’s or Cain’s. At least Cueto can still eat up innings and give you consistent sometimes dominant starts.

19. djloo27 said, on June 2, 2017 at 2:06 pm

1. Denard Span (L) CF
    2. Eduardo Nunez (R) 3B
    3. Brandon Belt (L) 1B
    4. Buster Posey (R) C
    5. Brandon Crawford (L) SS
    6. Joe Panik (L) 2B
    7. Orlando Calixte (R) LF
    8. Austin Slater (R) RF
    9. Ty Blach (R) P

• zumiee said, on June 2, 2017 at 2:16 pm

Interesting! And how rarely have we said that lately?

20. alleykat69 said, on June 2, 2017 at 2:52 pm

I can’t even name 3 players on Philly.This is a witness protection type team these days..

21. Flavor said, on June 2, 2017 at 3:10 pm

i just heard an unbelievable stat on KNBR: every single team in the Giants org is in last place. Every single one. That’s incredible.

• zumiee said, on June 2, 2017 at 3:28 pm

• wilcojoe said, on June 2, 2017 at 4:36 pm

I remember a few years ago before the Astros called up their young studs, every one of their minor league affiliates won their respected division. So yes, that has to tell you something.

22. Macdog said, on June 2, 2017 at 3:29 pm

Just got back from local auto shop (whIch I visit much too frequently), the owner has Phils season tix and was heading to tonight’s game. I’m going to tomorrow’s game. I’ll be in the south-of-Philly area anyway moving stuff out of daughter’s apartment, so hey, might as well go to the game. There’s the added bonus of an Avett Brothers concert after the game at CBB, I don’t know much about them but I think Chi has raved about.them, so they must be good. And Paul, would love to get together mid-July!

• zumiee said, on June 2, 2017 at 3:34 pm

Avett Brothers put on a great show. Very cool!

• Macdog said, on June 2, 2017 at 3:36 pm

Excellent, maybe I should just skip the ballgame part of it.

• zumiee said, on June 2, 2017 at 5:05 pm

We can beat the Phils!

23. djloo27 said, on June 2, 2017 at 4:24 pm

Well, Slater’s obviously not the answer…

24. sandog said, on June 2, 2017 at 4:35 pm

Who is this in the booth with Kuiper?

• zumiee said, on June 2, 2017 at 4:37 pm

Javy Lopez.

• sandog said, on June 2, 2017 at 4:38 pm

Thanks—a little smoother than Affeldt

• Flavor said, on June 2, 2017 at 5:46 pm

Javy is a total pro. He’s got a show on KNBR and he really, really good.

25. zumiee said, on June 2, 2017 at 4:42 pm

We found a team worse than us!

26. Macdog said, on June 2, 2017 at 5:29 pm

I guess the scouting report vs. Phils pitchers says: Don’t swing.

27. Flavor said, on June 2, 2017 at 5:30 pm

• djloo27 said, on June 2, 2017 at 5:39 pm

BTW, Flavor – Joe Girardi has outdone himself with the nickname he gave Gary Sanchez…

• Flavor said, on June 2, 2017 at 5:45 pm

let’s hear it…..regarding Blach, I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. He really seems to understand the mindset of pitching. Kruk must love this guy.

• djloo27 said, on June 2, 2017 at 5:51 pm

Sanchy!

• Flavor said, on June 2, 2017 at 5:54 pm

He stole that from Bochy who called Dirrrrty Sanchez that. And you can understand why he snagged it, it’s so original and creative.

• djloo27 said, on June 2, 2017 at 5:55 pm

I wonder what other offers the Giants had for Cepeda..
      Guess we’ll never know…

28. Flavor said, on June 2, 2017 at 5:56 pm

I’m not sure which I more surprised by, the fact that every single team in the Giants org is in last place or the fact that Ray Sadecki, who pitched for the Giants in the 60s, was the last SF pitcher to walk 3 X in a game and he did it twice in freaking 8 days….

29. Macdog said, on June 2, 2017 at 5:58 pm

Yay Slater!

30. Flavor said, on June 2, 2017 at 6:00 pm

i wanted so fucking badly for that to be a ball. lol. Four times woulda really been something to hang our hats on this season.

31. Flavor said, on June 2, 2017 at 6:07 pm

this is a fun game.

32. sandog said, on June 2, 2017 at 6:35 pm

My Man Span

33. djloo27 said, on June 2, 2017 at 6:58 pm

Slater seems to hit off his front foot.
    Unless your name is Henry Aaron that usually isn’t so good…

• Lurker John said, on June 2, 2017 at 7:30 pm

He doesn’t have the prettiest swing. Kinda choppy.

34. Macdog said, on June 2, 2017 at 7:06 pm

Blach beauty!

35. Bozo said, on June 2, 2017 at 7:06 pm

Good game by Blach. Way to go Giants….

36. Flavor said, on June 2, 2017 at 7:08 pm

Ty Blach, goddamn.

37. Flavor said, on June 2, 2017 at 7:09 pm

I’d take Javy 10 times out of 10 over Affeldt.

• Lurker John said, on June 2, 2017 at 7:33 pm

He has potential.

38. willedav said, on June 2, 2017 at 7:12 pm

Phils threw 200 pitches according to Miller and Flem on radio…to the Giants of all teams. Good lord they’re bad.

39. Lurker John said, on June 2, 2017 at 7:32 pm

I’ll echo zumie, the Phillies are worse than us. Chew on that one for a while. And your silver lining for the year, Ty Blach developing into a legit ML pitcher in the absence of Bum. Be’s been lights out for about a month now.

40. willedav said, on June 2, 2017 at 7:34 pm

Cueto owes them one too. I remember a game last year when Phils were in SF. He was sailing along then got mad at ump and Phils wound up beating him.

• willedav said, on June 2, 2017 at 7:44 pm

June 26. Giants had 5-1 early lead that Cueto blew wound up going 6+ 8 hits 6 earned. No L tho giants won it 8-7 in 9th.

Watching Nats spank the A’s. Lot less annoying with no Harper.

• Macdog said, on June 2, 2017 at 7:52 pm

There also was the Cueto start I was at in Philly, when Bochy left in a clearly gassed Cueto to blow a lead in the 8th and Giants lost in 12.

41. Flavor said, on June 2, 2017 at 7:54 pm

interesting take from Heyman:
    The expectation is, Johnny Cueto will opt out. He will have $84 million and four years to go. “Absolutely, he will,” one rival executive said. That makes sense, as he’s clearly a cut above even very fine pitchers like Mike Leake ($80 million), Jeff Samardzija ($80 million) and Wei-Yin Chen ($75 million).

• djloo27 said, on June 2, 2017 at 9:16 pm

Does that help or hurt his trade value?

• Flavor said, on June 3, 2017 at 5:49 am

I think you look at him like a rent-a-player at that point. Like Beltran.

42. Flavor said, on June 2, 2017 at 8:18 pm

43. willedav said, on June 2, 2017 at 8:46 pm

Nats are just a good hitting team, fun to watch if they aren’t kicking your ass. They don’t K much and put the ball in play. Couple bombs 11 hits top of 5 in Oaktown up 6-2…without Harper and his way over 1.000 OPS.

44. xoot said, on June 2, 2017 at 10:31 pm

Jack O’Neill. RIP. When I was in HS, surfing Privates on a good sized day, One-Eyed Jack paddled out, roaring with surprise when he made the line up. A couple of young guys who knew him followed, laughing like hell. Must’ve been some sort of psychedelic adventure. He never came close to catching a wave. He couldn’t even see them coming. htf do you take chances like that when you’ve already lost one eye to clumsy play in the water? I never understood it. Of course, that same approach made him a huge amount of money in the wet suit business.