Phattening Up On Philly

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 3, 2017

We scored 10 runs in a band box but I’m not sure if we hit a ball that even hit an outfield wall. Maybe Span’s double? I don’t think any of our scoring hits hit the wall. Definitely didn’t go over it. So that’s actually a good sign: we are weak and not a home run threat but we do persevere and find a way to score and win. 🙂

The Phillies play like a team that’s quit. They make dumb decisions and show almost no outward passion on the field. I didn’t see a single Philly hustle. When the lazy ball that Panik hit in the 9th fell in front of Kendrick you could hear the exasperation of the few fans who were still at the game. We might stink but I haven’t seen any signs that the Giants are fraying or that they aren’t trying their best.

To me, it didn’t look like the Phillies were trying their best last night.

So, “phatten” up on them. I’m mad at the incompetence of the front office and still can’t get over the fact that EVERY SINGLE TEAM IN THE GIANTS ORGANIZATION IS IN LAST PLACE but goddamn it I still want to win and last night was a lot of fun.

Tonight we go against some guy named “Ben Lively” and that name sounds a little bit made up….

1. Flavor said, on June 3, 2017 at 6:44 am

Mike Leake is pitching for the Cards today in a big game vs The Cubs. Does anyone remember even one thing about the Mike Leake Era in SF? I remember making fun of him as a thief for shit he did in college and then I remember us getting eliminated and he finally threw a good game (like 8 innings of shutout ball, something like that). But other than that, I remember literally zero about him.

• djloo27 said, on June 3, 2017 at 7:02 am

Not a damn thing. But as much as we’ve criticized the FO this year, the trade for Leake was another well intended shot at improving the team for a playoff run – something they do every year at the deadline when they’re in range…

• Flavor said, on June 3, 2017 at 7:11 am

absolutely. What’s funny is that their dumpster dive deals (Ross, Scoots) seem to work out better than when they pay up (Beltran, Leake). I guess that’s why they keep dumpster diving hoping for that to work out again. I have zero faith that they will know how to trade Cueto for prospects. ZERO. Either they’ll get hoodwinked or Sabes won’t pull the trigger because he has no idea how to value other org talent. I have never felt so confident about a comment/post in my life, save this and come back to it at the deadline…….

• djloo27 said, on June 3, 2017 at 7:33 am

The opt-out thing only makes it tougher to figure out what he’s worth, from both the Giants standpoint and the team that’s trading for him…

• Flavor said, on June 3, 2017 at 9:02 am

as Heyman pointed out, owing a pitcher 80 million isn’t that big of a deal anymore. Even with his blisters he’s better than Leake or that lefty from Miami whose name I can’t even remember.

2. blade3colorado said, on June 3, 2017 at 7:44 am

After this POS season, I get the lack of confidence in Sabes. That being said, I didn’t imagine the 3 World Series, nor the other WS and playoff appearances. Here are trades he consummated which worked out:

1996: Matt Williams to Cleveland for Jeff Kent, Julian Tavarez, Jose Vizcaino.

1996: SP Fausto Macey, SP Allen Watson to Anaheim for 1B J.T. Snow.

2001: Armando Rios, Ryan Vogelsong to Pirates for Jason Schmidt, Jon Van Der Wal.

2002: RP Ryan Meaux, P Felix Diaz to Chicago for CF Kenny Lofton.

2009: P Tim Alderson to Pittsburgh for 2B Freddy Sanchez.

2010: P Daniel Turpen to Red Sox for RP Ramon Ramirez.

2010: RF John Bowker, P Joe Martinez to Pittsburgh for RP Javier Lopez.

And here is his biggest stinker IMO:

2003: SP Francisco Liriano, RP Joe Nathan to Minnesota for C A.J. Pierzynski.

• blade3colorado said, on June 3, 2017 at 7:56 am

Almost forgot Scutaro for Culberson in 2012.

• blade3colorado said, on June 3, 2017 at 7:58 am

Burks, Winn, and Pagan trades worked out too.

3. willedav said, on June 3, 2017 at 7:52 am

Mmm, winning games and developing players are two entirely different things. I don’t think pitching at Sac is doing very well at all and Giants have now robbed them of their best players in Arroyo Slater Specs and Calixte.

I used to say this about HS b-ball–are JV players learning skills and making good decisions? Because what works at lower level doesn’t translate as game gets faster and talented players are more abundant and smarter.

4. willedav said, on June 3, 2017 at 8:12 am

Friend of mine opened up a small Mexican restaurant in south san jose and driving back from there last night Miller made a point to note how many times Posey got to hit with RISP last night and had only a walk to show for it. Guys above him Span Nunez Belt were on base 10 times and he left 5 of them on.

Cueto is a very valuable asset to have, and contract doesn’t mean shit. Greinke and other aces are making a ton of money. Teams interested are jonesing about winning Series right now and would sacrifice prospects etc. in heartbeat. Might seem dumb move to us but guarantee he’d have suitors.

• Flavor said, on June 3, 2017 at 9:04 am

exactly. What Cueto is owed on the rest of his deal is inconsequential esp since mlb execs expect him to opt out. And if for some weird reason he didn’t opt out, 80 mil left is no big deal unless he’s hurt/incapacitated.

5. alleykat69 said, on June 3, 2017 at 8:40 am

Blade…Another steal for the Giants.
    1987 Giants trade 3BChris Brown,RHPMark Grant,LHPKeith Comstock(who I played HS ball with) and LHPMark Davis for 3B/OF Kevin Mitchell,LHP Dave Dravecky and LHP Craig Lefferts.

6. willedav said, on June 3, 2017 at 9:00 am

I think Flav is spot on about dumpster dives tho–2010 had guys like Rent/Uribe Huff Burrell no one else wanted and of course Ross and there’s been many others since that have come through like Ishi. This is just how he rolls/why he’s criticized for being luckier than smart–luck seems to have caught up with him 2017.

51 HRs last night, over 150 runs scored. Nats hit 5 last night in 13-3 W over A’s they must like it here. Dusty had Mays in clubhouse at ATT.
    Giants are such an anomaly to be scoring so few runs with lack of power; maybe a series in Philly and another in Brewtown snaps them out of it. Nunez starting to heat up too, .375 over last week or so and might reclaim 3b. Baggs thinks Arroyo goes back down once Pence activated and Bochy has already prepared him for it.

Hope he’s back soon…Craw and Panik scuffled too when they were first up, and Craw hit 8th for a long time. His glove work everywhere seems fine. Wonder if they prep him for one specific place to play.

7. Flavor said, on June 3, 2017 at 9:04 am

you guys are missing my point. You’re noting trades he made for BETTER players, for help NOW. I’m saying he has no experience trading a vet piece like Cueto for prospects. None. And I have no confidence that he knows how to do that. My 7:11am post will get re-posted here (by me) after Sabean either gets hoodwinked at the break or does nothing

• zumiee said, on June 3, 2017 at 10:16 am

He might be self-aware enough to know it’s his weak area.

8. zumiee said, on June 3, 2017 at 10:02 am

Sabean had a nice run of solid first round draft picks from Cain onward. They’ve missed too often on that lately. Maybe more of it’s just luck then we’d like to think.

• zumiee said, on June 3, 2017 at 10:04 am

But as Loo has said, the Giants endured 50+ years of bad luck, and were due to finally catch some big breaks.

9. zumiee said, on June 3, 2017 at 10:06 am

The Pence for Joseph trade was a good one.

• zumiee said, on June 3, 2017 at 10:12 am

Yeah, Sabean has particular strengths, but has his weaknesses, too. It’s not a bad thing, though, in the midst of our current frustration, to also reflect on and appreciate all the great accomplishments.
      Having said that, though, any great organization can calcify and ossify and need some fresh leadership.

10. unca_chuck said, on June 3, 2017 at 10:15 am

And his cousin Ben Dover

11. zumiee said, on June 3, 2017 at 10:25 am

Other than Romo, there’s hardly anyone in the Dodger bullpen giving up any runs. The Dodger batters’ batting averages have been falling, but they have power throughout the lineup. Yesterday, they won 2-1, the two runs scoring on solo runs. It went extra innings, and Kershaw and relievers struck out 26 Brewers. Say what?! What is going on in this sport that there are so many strikeouts? As Brian Kenny says: too few balls are put in play anymore. Too many walks and strikeouts. The sport was invented to have the ball put in play. It’s turning into little league, with all the walks and strikeouts.

• zumiee said, on June 3, 2017 at 10:25 am

Solo homeruns, I meant.

• theroooster said, on June 3, 2017 at 12:22 pm

It’s because everyone swings for the fences, all the time. Sure, there’s still some punch and judy hitters scattered throughout, but even leadoff hitters these days swing for the long ball. A LOT less situational hitting going on these days. It’s all about “launch angle” and how fast the ball leaves the bat.
      Along those lines, I like this new Bellinger kid, but with all the holes in his swing, I can’t see how he’ll never be more than a .220 hitter. He’s Boog Powell reincarnate – it’s either a HR or a strikeout. I can’t believe he still sees anything other than high heat in tight.

12. Flavor said, on June 3, 2017 at 11:46 am

13. zumiee said, on June 3, 2017 at 1:12 pm

Larry Baer sees all those empty seats in the Phillies ballpark and probably gets a chill to his bones. It’s his worst nightmare for the Giants.

• Lurker John said, on June 3, 2017 at 2:51 pm

Then he’d better do something about it. After one anomaly of a game, the Giants are right back to their anemic ways.

14. Flavor said, on June 3, 2017 at 2:50 pm

in the right shade, Calixte looks a lot like Count Chocula (and I’m talking about Velez)

15. Lurker John said, on June 3, 2017 at 3:04 pm

Slater looks like he won’t be able to hit his weight in the big leagues. Nothing about him impresses so far.

• Flavor said, on June 3, 2017 at 3:19 pm

i hope you weren’t expecting more. He’s an 8th round draft pick.

16. Macdog said, on June 3, 2017 at 3:17 pm

Maybe Strickland should withdraw his appeal

17. Flavor said, on June 3, 2017 at 3:19 pm

WHY do the Giants keep this douchbag around?

• zumiee said, on June 3, 2017 at 3:21 pm

They keep thinking he’s going to take the next step, and he never does. He is what he’s always been.

18. Macdog said, on June 3, 2017 at 3:19 pm

As I was saying…

19. zumiee said, on June 3, 2017 at 3:23 pm

I have to admit, Slater is giving me Gary Brown flashbacks. I hope I’m very wrong.

20. theroooster said, on June 3, 2017 at 3:24 pm

Edinson Volquez no-hitter through 8 – they’re showing it on MLB Network

• zumiee said, on June 3, 2017 at 3:40 pm

I think he has to face Goldy in the 9th. Should be interesting.

21. zumiee said, on June 3, 2017 at 3:27 pm

My spirits are being lifted by an awesome watermelon from Costco, though.
    Cold melon in the summer is always a great thing.

• Flavor said, on June 3, 2017 at 3:28 pm

Fruit from Costco? Say it ain’t so, Zum

• zumiee said, on June 3, 2017 at 3:35 pm

I know, I know. I hear ya. I live a mile from a farmer’s market (which I do buy stuff from), but the Costco watermelons from Mexico are usually top-notch, and the watermelons from that farmer’s market are a big roll of the dice.

• zumiee said, on June 3, 2017 at 3:38 pm

That farmer’s market has awesome corn. Fresh, tasty corn on the cob is such a treat to add to any meal.

• zumiee said, on June 3, 2017 at 3:43 pm

• Flavor said, on June 3, 2017 at 3:55 pm

i can’t stand watermelon unless it’s a jolly rancher so I’ll take your word for it

• zumiee said, on June 3, 2017 at 3:58 pm

Wow, I thought watermelon was like pizza and ice cream….everybody likes it.

• wilcojoe said, on June 3, 2017 at 4:14 pm

I am the same way Flav. Love Watermelon jolly ranchers and bubble gum but can’t stand the real thing.

• xoot said, on June 3, 2017 at 6:48 pm

22. zumiee said, on June 3, 2017 at 3:47 pm

D-Backs got no-hit.
    I thought Goldy was going to bat in the ninth, but it was the bottom of the order.

• theroooster said, on June 3, 2017 at 3:50 pm

Yeah, that was wild – he had to convince Mattingly to stay in the game after twisting his ankle of the 1st play of the game. Hell of an effort.

23. djloo27 said, on June 3, 2017 at 3:57 pm

Bringing up stiffs like Slater reminds me of 2008 when I think they brought up just about everyone:

24. zumiee said, on June 3, 2017 at 4:00 pm

A little life at the end, but not enough.

25. djloo27 said, on June 3, 2017 at 4:06 pm

I dozed off 3 separate times during this game…

26. theroooster said, on June 3, 2017 at 4:11 pm

Volquez only needed 98 pitches for his no-hitter. On the way home from work, Kevin Kennedy was talking about Lasorda throwing 15 innings, striking out 25 in a game he won back in the day.
    From BR regarding that game : “He then missed 1946 and 1947 due to military service. Returning to baseball, he looked like a promising pitcher on June 1, 1948, when, in a 15-inning game for the Schenectady Blue Jays (Canadian-American League, Class C), he struck out 25 Amsterdam Rugmakers, setting a since-broken pro record. He even drove in the winning run with a single.”
    Kennedy said Lasorda told him he’s pretty sure he threw over 300 pitches in that game.
    Could you imagine a minor league manager sending out “a promising pitcher” for his 15th inning of work today? Crazy.

• djloo27 said, on June 3, 2017 at 4:19 pm

Thanks, Roooster, but nobody here gives a shit about what your boy Lasorda did with a bunch of rug munchers 900 years ago…

• djloo27 said, on June 3, 2017 at 4:29 pm

Here’s a question for you, Rooster:
        What do the Dodgers need to put them over and what are you willing to give up for it?

• djloo27 said, on June 3, 2017 at 4:31 pm

I’d give you Cueto and Pence for Puig and a couple of good prospects…

• theroooster said, on June 3, 2017 at 7:39 pm

Cueto couldn’t crack the Dodgers starting rotation.
        Pence? He still on an MLB team?

27. Macdog said, on June 3, 2017 at 4:32 pm

The Avett Brothers are on!

• djloo27 said, on June 3, 2017 at 4:40 pm

Bochy just replaced one of them with Gearrin.
      Gonna be a long concert…

• djloo27 said, on June 3, 2017 at 4:50 pm

Is Pawlie crowd surfing in the mosh pit?

28. willedav said, on June 3, 2017 at 5:04 pm

Wow a day late but Flav strikes again.
    From yesterday lead in thread:

“You know Tommy Joseph wants to go off. I really like their lead off hitter Hernandez and Freddy Galvis who bats down the order.”
    Um check and double check.

At least any team picking up Cueto won’t have to worry in playoffs about his worst enemy— Phils, who seem to get to him eventually.

• Flavor said, on June 3, 2017 at 7:16 pm

well, I also said Belt would hit a bomb or two yesterday and he didn’t come close. But thanks for noticing I’m sometimes right. 🙂

• Macdog said, on June 3, 2017 at 8:46 pm

Belt did hit a double to the wall in the 9th, that’s sorta close.

29. willedav said, on June 3, 2017 at 7:52 pm

Xoot thx for the Herbie, just beautiful. Love that era blue note stuff.
    He’s also pianist on my fav Lee Morgan led date, Cornbread.

• xoot said, on June 3, 2017 at 10:23 pm

I’m more familiar with his later work, especially with Miles Davis. There’s a very enjoyable utube vid of a big Miles band (with HH) playing Watermelon Man. But the simpler HH and Freddie Hubbard et al version, is, I agree, great.

30. Macdog said, on June 3, 2017 at 9:35 pm

Since there’s no point in getting worked up over another loss in this lousy season, it actually was a very pleasant afternnon/evening in south Philly. I got there late and had to listen to the first couple innings on radio — when Panik got HBP with Posey on 3rd, Phils color guy Larry Andersen said, “You don’t have to worry about Posey charging the mound.” At least Giants put up a little fight in the 9th, but what’s the point of playing Slater if he’s not going to get a shot to hit in a big spot? Yes, Hill got a hit — yippee — for a faint bit of hope that lasted all of one pitch. Fun crowd, I think a lot of them were there for Avett Brothers, who put on a good show.

31. zumiee said, on June 3, 2017 at 10:05 pm

A ridiculous statement by the Rooster that Cueto couldn’t crack the Dodgers rotation. The idea that Cueto, who’s won in the World Series, and has a ring, couldn’t crack an entire rotation that’s never won a huge game in their lives, is laughable.

• xoot said, on June 3, 2017 at 10:14 pm

Cueto’s a great pitcher and he’s going to be one for a long while. He’s never intimidated by anything; he’s imaginative and intelligent; and he’s exactly the kind of pitcher you would need to step up after Kershaw tanks in a PS series. So I can see the bums going after him. But I can’t see him approving such a demeaning trade.

• xoot said, on June 3, 2017 at 10:31 pm

And I can’t see the Giants making that trade in the first place.

32. unca_chuck said, on June 3, 2017 at 10:31 pm

Loved this album (and the cover) when I was a kid. Haven’t heard this in years.

• xoot said, on June 3, 2017 at 10:35 pm

WMan came earlier and got added to this album, I think. But this album is great. Chameleon.

33. willedav said, on June 3, 2017 at 10:37 pm

Ya gotta wonder if Dodgers have already set some kind of modern era record for winning consecutive division titles and then turning into the Buffalo Bills.

• blade3colorado said, on June 3, 2017 at 10:51 pm

Willie, they have the ancient history era record too. Listen up 🐓 rooster . . .

After the wilderness years of the 1920s and 1930s, the Dodgers were rebuilt into a contending club and the Dodgers won pennants in 1941, 1947, 1949, 1952, and 1953, only to fall to the New York Yankees in all five of the subsequent World Series. The annual ritual of building excitement, followed in the end by disappointment, became a common pattern to the long suffering fans, and “Wait ’til next year!” became an unofficial Dodger slogan. Shit, the MOFOS own that slogan now.

• zumiee said, on June 3, 2017 at 10:55 pm

And it is the starting pitching that has been their problem in the playoffs. They were a better team with Greinke in the rotation. What gets papered over with the Dodgers right now is that Urias flopped this season so far. The Giants’ Blach has been better than him.

34. zumiee said, on June 3, 2017 at 11:00 pm

Not that I want the Cubs to repeat. I don’t want that either. I could pull for the Rockies, if I had to pull for a non-Giants team in the playoffs.
    And the Astros in the AL. They’re a fun team.
    Heck, for the first in EVER, I kind of like a Yankees team.

35. zumiee said, on June 3, 2017 at 11:03 pm

The Sgt. Pepper documentary on PBS is terrific. Really gets deep into the making of the tracks. Also Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane.