Missing: The Real Matt Moore

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 5, 2017

As I was watching Matt Moore throw pitches like his left hand was on fire I wondered how this could be the same pitcher who nearly no hit the Dodgers last year and who confidently handed the ball to our bullpen last October 11th leading 5-2. Where have all the K’s gone? Where has his confidence gone? When he’s off he literally has no idea where the ball is going—a lot like Tim Lincecum post *salad days*.  At this point I’d trade Moore BACK to Tampa for Duffy just to let him sit on our bench and not fuck shit up.

Even with Moore’s ineptitude we still had a very good shot to win that game until That Doughy Fuck climbed the mound. The Giants have too many land mines (that they plant themselves) to dodge throughout games to win consistently.

Milwaukee doesn’t seem like the place to sort all this nonsense out…..

1. chipower9 said, on June 5, 2017 at 7:14 am

I was out camping this weekend and had no service (which was nice). We did have a radio that did an OK job at pulling in the games. With yesterday’s game, I forgot about it during the drive home. I did see a score from the 7th with our boys up 7-6, but…same shit, different day.

I have tried to remain optimistic about this team and season, but have FINALLY reached the conclusion that this team, as constructed, just cannot compete. Not sure what it would look like, but I am certainly entraining the ideas that others have planted here to just blow the whole damned thing up.

Sabevans and crew have their fucking work cut-out for them.

At least the Warriors tee-d up another entertaining ass-whoopin’!

2. sfsarge said, on June 5, 2017 at 7:33 am

I’m with Chi. I haven’t been able to watch a lot lately, just so much competing for time right now. But from what I’ve read and heard, time get Wile. E Coyote and his plunger box. There was a guy who called into Marty Lurie yesterday saying the Giants should package Cueto and Pence to Houston for that stud outfielder they have rotting away on the bench and some prospects. I don’t see any reason why they would need Pence. But something needs to be done.

3. willedav said, on June 5, 2017 at 7:46 am

Evans said things on KNBR that were in Chron Sunday, gist being they believed in their core and would evaluate as necessary to improve short and long term.
    Well, bottom line your core and surrounding parts have the team dead even with total rebuild Padres and 10 games under .500, so it’s not near as strong as you think and short term isn’t looking very good at all. Surrounding parts on bench/pen and farm do not appear to have immediate fixes for what ails them.

Only alternative is to look to add value to weaker positions by trading some of what you have.

Draymond’s turnovers (Curry’s too) and inability to develop an inside game still bug me the most. Fact that they still won handily despite 20 turnovers, acknowledged by Durant, was a feat. Only halfway there tho.

4. willedav said, on June 5, 2017 at 8:33 am

Dunno how to explain Moore. In a few years with Tampa his ERA was just over 4.00, lot like last year 4.08. And he had to pitch in AL hitter friendly yards in the East all the time on the road.

with the Giants it’s 4.98 and 5.22 this year. The LH Herrera burned him yesterday and his road ERA is flat awful about 8 while at home it’s 2.57. It’s like he forgot how to pitch.

As wilco mentioned, any trade value is about shot And he would have potentially been a good pickup for rotation depth for playoff team because he’s only making $7 mil, fraction of Smardz and has done well vs. LA LH heavy LU in past.

• Macdog said, on June 5, 2017 at 8:47 am

Herrera was equal opportunity Giant killer yesterday: doubles off Moore and Osich and HR off Kontos. Philly radio announcers said that in last 5 starts Moore was tougher on righties than lefties, though it didn’t matter much yesterday.

5. wilcojoe said, on June 5, 2017 at 8:34 am

The worst part about Moore is that he has pissed away any trade value he might have had, which I think could have been decent. The trade deadline deals always revolve around big bats and pitching. Since the Giants don’t have any of the former, they have to work with the latter. No way in hell any of their position players get moved, simply because there is no market for them. Off-season maybe, in July, no chance.

6. wilcojoe said, on June 5, 2017 at 8:46 am

I read that Cueto mentioned the Giants clubhouse is for lack of better words, “boring” because their aren’t many Latino players on the club. I never thought about that.

• djloo27 said, on June 5, 2017 at 9:38 am

I guess that explains why they keep Gorkys.
      He must be a riot in the shower…

• Lurker John said, on June 5, 2017 at 7:42 pm

Can you imagine the backlash if a white dude said that?

7. snarkk said, on June 5, 2017 at 9:03 am

When you’re losing, team chemistry is not good, essentially by definition. This team doesn’t seem out of sorts, it does seem boring, like everybody is playing while half asleep. No fire, no energy. I think the absolute lack of power sucks the life outta this team…

• blade3colorado said, on June 5, 2017 at 9:24 am

Exacerbated by a laughable team BA of .231 and OBP of .293.

You could replace this entire roster with the Richmond Flying Squirrels and it would take you 5-6 innings to say WTF, where ya noticed the difference.

• chipower9 said, on June 5, 2017 at 10:04 am

LMAO, Blade. Probably a WHOLE LOTTA truth there, brother. When you coming state-side? We need to hook-up for that San Jose Giants game (fuck the big club)…

8. unca_chuck said, on June 5, 2017 at 10:30 am

Willie the warriors outscored Cle 52-16 in the paint in game 1. Don’t know about yesterday but I’m sure it was about even. KD gives them enough inside game. We went small when they did in the 2nd half so no true C but that way they can run everybody. LBJ was gassed by the end of the 3rd. James is finding out that staying in gogo mode all game isn’t easy.

9. wilcojoe said, on June 5, 2017 at 10:53 am

If you guys want a good laugh this Monday morning, check out the clip of Rob and Rex Ryan getting into a “squirmish” at a Margaritaville bar in Nashville.

10. xoot said, on June 5, 2017 at 11:17 am

Jimmy Piersall died over the weekend. I was distracted all week, didn’t notice his passing. I remember his Cleveland years most clearly.

11. alleykat69 said, on June 5, 2017 at 11:36 am

I remember him in that movie when he went Psycho in the dugout climbing the fence and drooling on the fans.Hey thinking about it wasn’t that the same guy in Psycho Antony Perkins? His old man in that was Karl Malden who drove him to hard to be the best and he ended up having a breakdown..

12. xoot said, on June 5, 2017 at 12:36 pm

it’s hard to believe that he was the very first mlb player to do a full HR trot backwards, but I’ll bet he was the first to do it with tv cameras rolling

• djloo27 said, on June 5, 2017 at 12:51 pm

• zumiee said, on June 5, 2017 at 1:07 pm

It’d go over well with Bumgarner. 🙂

• xoot said, on June 5, 2017 at 3:08 pm

He committed 39 errors in 17 seasons (13,125 innings), primarily in CF.

• blade3colorado said, on June 5, 2017 at 4:45 pm

Loo, thanks for sharing.

“The Giants are tied for last in the division with a massive amount of ground to make up to become relevant. The nucleus is aging, the roster has numerous holes, and for the first time in a while, the front office might have to think about sending players packing rather than seeking reinforcements.”

Sounds like a job for the “Great Negotiator” Trump.

13. djloo27 said, on June 5, 2017 at 1:40 pm

CF:Denard Span (L)
    3B: Eduardo Nunez (R)
    1B: Brandon Belt (L)
    C: Buster Posey (R)
    SS: Brandon Crawford (L)
    RF: Hunter Pence (R)
    2B: Joe Panik (L)
    LF: Orlando Calixte (R)
    P: Jeff Samardzija (R)

14. zumiee said, on June 5, 2017 at 4:46 pm

Our awesome baserunning strikes again.

15. Flavor said, on June 5, 2017 at 5:15 pm

I was listening on the radio, didn’t see it, but Miller was nearly at a loss for words with how bad Calixte’s throw was. Anyone see it?

• zumiee said, on June 5, 2017 at 5:46 pm

Yeah it was wide and WAY over Buster’s head. It hit high on the screen and came down into a funky crevice, allowing the second run to score.

16. zumiee said, on June 5, 2017 at 5:41 pm

I was reorganizing a bookcase recently and came across a scorecard from a game in 2008 that I attended.
    4/12/08. Giants vs. the Cards. The Giants scored two runs in the bottom of the 9th to tie the game, and then lost 8-7 in ten innings. Here was the Giants starting lineup that day:
    Lewis, lf
    Velez, 2b
    Winn, cf
    Molina, c
    Castillo, 3b
    Bowler, rf
    Ortmeier, 1b
    Bocock, as
    Cain, p

Rowand, Durham, and Aurelia came in later in the game.
    The Giants relievers were Tashner, Valdez, Walker, Hennesy, and Wilson.

17. Flavor said, on June 5, 2017 at 5:49 pm

both Miller and Kuip have been calling him “Th-ames”. That’s not how it’s pronounced, it’s “Timms”. I would think that they would have a better grasp on his name, he’s one of the best power hitters in the NL. Shoddy research by them both.

• sandog said, on June 5, 2017 at 6:17 pm

By boy Flem would never make an error like that!

• sandog said, on June 5, 2017 at 6:41 pm

Were you having some fun with us Flav—as if his name is pronounced like the river? Flem is saying “Thames” as well.

• Flavor said, on June 5, 2017 at 7:09 pm

No. His name is pronounced “Timms”. They are all getting it wrong…..By the way, great call by Bochy to PH Hill in that situation.

18. Flavor said, on June 5, 2017 at 7:10 pm

not only do I know who the guy is and know how to pronounce his name here is baseball-ref where they confirm it.

19. Flavor said, on June 5, 2017 at 7:11 pm

Marcus Thames – \TIMMS\

20. Flavor said, on June 5, 2017 at 7:12 pm

and the crazy thing is that Kuip, Miller and Flemm are IN THE BALL PARK hearing the PA guy pronounce it correctly and they are oblivious to it.

21. pawliekokonuts said, on June 5, 2017 at 7:43 pm

Is a five-run lead safe?

22. sandog said, on June 5, 2017 at 7:45 pm

Stop fucking with me Flav! Brewers TV guys say “Thames” as well.

ps What do you make of the woman keeping score in the front row? Nice rack–no?

• pawliekokonuts said, on June 5, 2017 at 7:47 pm

isn’t she there for all the games?…I believe I’ve noticed her . . . as I would.

• Macdog said, on June 5, 2017 at 7:54 pm

The Giants opened the season in Milwaukee last year and I seem to recall some chatter here about that.

• xoot said, on June 5, 2017 at 8:41 pm

Yes same babe

• Flavor said, on June 5, 2017 at 7:51 pm

the only thing I can think is that he came back from Japan and has changed the the way his name is pronounced. But before he left it was pronounced “Timms”. And in case I thought I was losing my mind I confirmed that at baseball-ref. So I’m going with ME and that site until I hear he changed the way it used to be -pronounced…..

23. pawliekokonuts said, on June 5, 2017 at 7:46 pm

Do y’all know about Melancon? He’s into the team history. He went to the stairs by the Polo Grounds for an event. New York Giants Preservation Society talked it up. Some of those crazy dudes want a new stadium there, to bring the Giants back. Even I’m not that delusional.

24. Bozo said, on June 5, 2017 at 7:47 pm

That was fun.

25. snarkk said, on June 5, 2017 at 7:48 pm

They won?…

• Lurker John said, on June 5, 2017 at 7:56 pm

Sonofabitch.

26. Flavor said, on June 5, 2017 at 7:49 pm

Smarge has a 59/1 K/Walk ratio over the last month. Trip on how insane that is…..

27. Macdog said, on June 5, 2017 at 7:49 pm

I was pulling hard for Samardzj, he pitched a damn good game and deserved that W, and for once the Giants didn’t fuck it up.

• pawliekokonuts said, on June 5, 2017 at 7:57 pm

The older I get the harder…NVM

28. Lurker John said, on June 5, 2017 at 7:52 pm

It sure seems like Shark has pitched better than his now 2-7 record. He has a good WHIP and phenomenal strikeouts-to-walks ratio. ERA not great but not horrible either.

29. Lurker John said, on June 5, 2017 at 7:55 pm

Flavor, the link you posted is for a guy no longer in the Majors, Marcus Thames. This guy for the Brewers is Eric Thames. Marcus is now 40 years old.

• Flavor said, on June 5, 2017 at 7:56 pm

haha! That’s crazy, you’re right. Thanks for that, I was literally going crazy here questioning myself.

• pawliekokonuts said, on June 5, 2017 at 7:56 pm

Lurker uncovers a fake news story!!!

• Lurker John said, on June 5, 2017 at 7:59 pm

LOL

30. pawliekokonuts said, on June 5, 2017 at 7:56 pm

This Thames/Timms thing reminds me. George Gordon, Lord Byron wrote a poem titled “don Juan.” We fecking English majors were taught it was supposed to be pronounced Don JOO-win. The perfect remark at a party with pinkies out as the hors d’oeuvres are passed.

31. sandog said, on June 5, 2017 at 7:59 pm

Good for Smarge. After Blach, Smarge pitching so well might be the best thing that has happened this year.
    Melancon checking out those stairs is awesome. My son Trev aka MapDawg and I almost found those stairs last summer but ran out of time before the game started.

• Lurker John said, on June 5, 2017 at 8:04 pm

Like I said above, if I had to guess I would say it was a lot better than 2-7. He’s been really good for the last 5-6 weeks and seems to have found a consistent off-speed pitch. Blach goes without saying, he’s been great, the one silver lining to the Bum injury.

32. xoot said, on June 5, 2017 at 8:47 pm

Every time I see a close up of Calixte scowling I hear Peter Tosh singing Stepping Razor. Unfortunately, the kid’s not so sharp. His first inning overthrow appears to be the web consensus worst throw of the year so far. He’s dangerous.

33. snarkk said, on June 5, 2017 at 9:02 pm

Looked at that Calixte throw on the sac fly via MLB highlights.
    That may be the worst throw from the OF I’ve ever seen.
    Without the screen, that ball lands in Chicago.
    This OF merry go round has to be the worst OF in modern Giants history…

• blade3colorado said, on June 5, 2017 at 9:47 pm

Saw the throw . . . Only minor league guy I’m interested in seeing now is Hwang. Next.

34. snarkk said, on June 5, 2017 at 9:05 pm

Specs with the clutch pinch hit in the 9th.
    The kid gets the job done pretty often.
    I don’t see at all why he does not stay up for the full season…

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on June 5, 2017 at 9:29 pm

Because it makes too much sense for management that “got nothing” …?

• blade3colorado said, on June 5, 2017 at 9:56 pm

Me too. Sheesh, he’s better than most of the flotsam they’re penciling into the LU.

35. unca_chuck said, on June 5, 2017 at 9:56 pm

Yeah, that hit by Hill buys him 2 more months with the team. Which is annoying as fuck. Bochy was jizzing himself talking about him.

36. djloo27 said, on June 5, 2017 at 10:10 pm

i think this is the first game Bochy won wearing that hideous SF pajama top thing instead of the regular uniform…

37. unca_chuck said, on June 5, 2017 at 10:32 pm

Much as I don’t like the AL, I have to root for the Astros should they keep rolling. Fuck the Dogs and Nats.

Win one for the Toy Cannon!

38. mrsprtdude said, on June 5, 2017 at 11:26 pm

1st time in modern era a pitcher had 50+ K’s with only one walk per MLB network. Crazy!