Sam Dyson, Come on Down!

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 7, 2017

The Giants traded for the heir to Strickland’s dumbass throne and the Rangers were happy to oblige. Teams don’t give up on relievers this early in the season if they are any good. Dyson throws hard, or at least he used to. His FB velocity is down the last couple of months and that screams one of two things: either he’s got a mechanical flaw or he’s about to fall victim to TJ surgery. I’ll guess it’s probably the latter. Does this look like a healthy pattern to you?

Rate of fastballs thrown at 95+ miles per hour

2014: 80%
2015: 84%
2016: 77%
2017: 48%

Whatever, it’ll give the Giants free reign to dump Strickland who is too dumb to pitch for this storied franchise.

Blach today. Don’t like young guys who are coming off a complete game with a high (highest this year) pitch count. But Blach has surprised me all year, maybe today too? I don’t think so, he’s gonna get blasted. lqtm.

1. willedav said, on June 7, 2017 at 7:12 am

Puig is hitting .239. If he wasn’t such a bargain he’d already be elsewhere as Dodgers have better younger options that maybe they can mold into character guys, unlike clueless Puig. What was he trying to do last night? Game was over he struck out to end it.
    imo this is last go round before Dodgers dump him off somewhere for whatever they can get.

Meanwhile Giants already have enough underperforming OFs so he’s last thing they need.
    Free Hwang now!

2. Lurker John said, on June 7, 2017 at 7:20 am

I think we’ve probably seen the best Puig has to offer. Can’t see even the desperate Giants taking a chance on him. Sure hope Blach does come up with the goods today because the Giants need a series win and they ain’t getting it without a win today.

3. chipower9 said, on June 7, 2017 at 7:23 am

I was at least happy to see they scored some runs. I tuned-in early at 2-zip and then again at 5-zip, and said “fuck this shit.” Had not heard about the trade, but the stats you share Flav are not appealing.

4. snarkk said, on June 7, 2017 at 8:35 am

Evans on KNBR this morning, doubletalk about always evaluating, etc. No give that the season is lost. He sounded like Dyson is a shot in the dark, but if he works out, he’s “under control” for the next few years. Would they trade Musclehead just because he pissed them off, and put in this Dyson dude, even though he’s demonstrably worse this season than Muscly? If they do they better get some prospect OFer or reliever in trade return that’s worth a darn…

5. Irish Kevin said, on June 7, 2017 at 8:55 am

I called it yesterday, the Giants would score 1-2 runs or be shutout, shutout through 8, then the bullpen came in and the Giants score 2 runs to tease us into thinking come back.

6. zumiee said, on June 7, 2017 at 8:58 am

Dyson the Dumpster Dive.

Last night, down by 3, with 2 on and 2 out in the 9th, the struggling rookie coming up, EXACTLY the time you’d want to pinch-hit Morse, but….oh yeah, Strickland got Morse injured. I bet that grinds Bochy’s gears every time these situations come up.

• snarkk said, on June 7, 2017 at 8:59 am

Morse is a wasted roster spot. After he comes back, he needs to go. Bring up Ryder Jones from AAA, and give him some reps, he’s hitting over .300 at Sac with over .500 SLG. Time to try anybody on the farm that has a shot at clicking. Morse adds nothing to the reboot, rebuild, retool process…

7. sandog said, on June 7, 2017 at 9:08 am

I don’t see Strick going anywhere. It amazes me to say this, as I thought (and posted) that he would never pitch again in the big leagues after his disastrous post-season in 2014, but he is actually one of our best relievers at this point. In my book, Strick actually enhanced his image with that whole episode, showing some toughness. Embarrass Stick and be ready for 98 mph headed your way. Want to charge the mound? Fine, he’ll be there waiting for you with plenty of room to rumble.
    The Dodgers getting rid of Puig is a KEY step in the Machiavellian process Loo and I dream about that eventually puts him in Orange and Black. He has to go to another team before coming to us. No way in Hades they send him directly to us.

8. zumiee said, on June 7, 2017 at 9:33 am

Speaking of the Dodgers, their day-game vs. the Nats is on the MLB Network at 12 Pacific Time. Kershaw vs. Strasburg.

9. alleykat69 said, on June 7, 2017 at 10:09 am

Agree Dog ,
    I don’t see them moving Stricknine, even though he’s dumber then a fence post he throws 98 not anyone else in the pen does that and wtf he’s aggressive like Bum and you need that instead of finesse all the time..

10. unca_chuck said, on June 7, 2017 at 10:42 am

Most of the pen is a disaster anyway. Dumping Strick does little either way. He’s better than Gearren. But not much else. Maybe the Dyson signing paves the way to dump clockwork Orange. Tell ya one thingn all I know about Dysons is that they suck.

11. djloo27 said, on June 7, 2017 at 10:45 am

I’d trade Pence and the salary differential straight up for Puig today. Let Captain Video rah-rah the Bums to a title. I couldn’t care less. The Giants could use a young, athletic Latino player with some proven skills who plays with an edge. So what if he’s an ass. The Vanilla Bores have put us in the shithouse…

• chipower9 said, on June 7, 2017 at 11:03 am

Loo – the way Pence has underperformed of late, the injury bug, and the perception that he is more interested in playing grab-ass with his wifey, I would do the same. Who knows…Puig may come around in a different atmosphere and under a different skipper.

• djloo27 said, on June 7, 2017 at 11:10 am

Glad you agree, Chi. Of course I realize this is nothing but fantasy…

12. fbchange said, on June 7, 2017 at 11:16 am

Dodgers and Giants have made 3 trades since they moved West. One of them was Maldanado, so I guess it’s conceivable they would move the Puig north. But it’s highly unlikely they want him playing for their hated rivals.

13. dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 7, 2017 at 11:31 am

Sandog, I haven’t been the biggest fan of Strickland but I totally agree with your take. This team needs less video making, hair product wearing mamby pambys, that’s for sure. The only reason I see him getting moved is because he’s actually performing well and could be key component to a contending pen.

• chipower9 said, on June 7, 2017 at 12:25 pm

But when your pen is one of the prime pieces that needs to be tuned, why would you trade a guy who has done well this year? Even if they got a decent OFer in return, you are weakening one area (bullpen) that needs to be addressed to fix another (OF) that also needs help.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 7, 2017 at 12:40 pm

Because I think they can fill out Strickland’s role either internally next year with someone like Crick and Smith returning or via FA.

14. Bozo said, on June 7, 2017 at 12:33 pm

I’m thinking the Giants will actually be buyers, not sellers this year.

15. zumiee said, on June 7, 2017 at 12:41 pm

Zimmerman with an early HR off Kershaw.
    The Nats have lost their last 8 games vs. Kershaw. They need to establish they can defeat him, as they prepare for the playoffs.

16. zumiee said, on June 7, 2017 at 1:06 pm

It’s a hard game, this baseball thing. Seager with two Ks, and his batting avg. down to .272.
    Bellinger at .248. Obviously they’re both still big power threats, but give all the teams credit. They scout and research hitters, and identify ways to get guys out.

• Flavor said, on June 7, 2017 at 1:57 pm

That’s funny, I’m reading this and my ph buzzes: seager home run. That’s right, I’m insane, I have every mlb bomb texted immediately to my ph when it happens

• snarkk said, on June 7, 2017 at 1:59 pm

Get some rest.
        Remove that alert, and replace with an alert only when a Giant hits a dinger…

• Macdog said, on June 7, 2017 at 2:03 pm

You must’ve thought it went haywire after every Scooter Gennett HR last night.

• Flavor said, on June 7, 2017 at 4:46 pm

i like knowing when a bomb gets hit. It’s a weird obsession and it helps me with real time fantasy.

• zumiee said, on June 7, 2017 at 2:12 pm

Strasburg just couldn’t match Kershaw today. I fully expect the Nats to exit the playoffs early again.

• zumiee said, on June 7, 2017 at 2:14 pm

Harper 0 for 3 vs. Kershaw. 2 Ks.

• Macdog said, on June 7, 2017 at 2:24 pm

He struck out Gonzalez that would have kept game at 1-1 if not for a passed ball.

• zumiee said, on June 7, 2017 at 3:14 pm

Good point.

17. chipower9 said, on June 7, 2017 at 2:17 pm

1. Denard Span (L) CF
    2. Eduardo Nunez (R) 3B
    3. Brandon Belt (L) 1B
    4. Buster Posey (R) C
    5. Brandon Crawford (L) SS
    6. Hunter Pence (R) RF
    7. Joe Panik (L) 2B
    8. Orlando Calixte (R) LF
    9. Ty Blach (R) P

Let ‘er rip!

• djloo27 said, on June 7, 2017 at 2:43 pm

The crappy outfield and bullpen have overshadowed the sub par production of Crawford and Panik…

18. zumiee said, on June 7, 2017 at 2:19 pm

Yeah, even with falling batting averages, the Dodgers still have power threats all through their lineup.
    And that’s with Turner and Pederson out with injuries.

19. Macdog said, on June 7, 2017 at 3:03 pm

Dodgers overcome Puig’s 0 for 3 to beat Nats, avoid sweep.

• zumiee said, on June 7, 2017 at 3:14 pm

For the Dodgers, it’s pretty darn important to win the division. If they have to use Kershaw in the Wild Card game, they’ll be in big trouble in the next round.

• zumiee said, on June 7, 2017 at 3:15 pm

In other words, at some point I’m pulling hard for the Rockies.

• Macdog said, on June 7, 2017 at 3:20 pm

I’ve already reached that point.

• Flavor said, on June 7, 2017 at 5:04 pm

Puig is completely overrated and has a cult following at this blog I’ll never understand. He’s got a great arm. That’s it. He’s got about 12 holes in his swing and he’s a dick. I wouldn’t take him on this team for free.

20. unca_chuck said, on June 7, 2017 at 5:23 pm

Unsound baseball there. We ain’t doing the little things. Puig sucks. O-ver-rated.

• djloo27 said, on June 7, 2017 at 5:36 pm

So let’s bring in another no talent honky to bat .146 for 3 weeks before they get sent down forever.
      I see it’s already 1-0. As usual I was dozing off…

• zumiee said, on June 7, 2017 at 5:39 pm

Good point.

• Flavor said, on June 7, 2017 at 5:55 pm

honky is one of the greatest most underrated nicknames for a person in the history of words. I fucking love it.

• djloo27 said, on June 7, 2017 at 6:04 pm

I’m a little distressed and suspicious about the wholesale purge of Latino players from the team that Cueto courageously brought to light…

• zumiee said, on June 7, 2017 at 6:07 pm

Cueto, Nunie, Gorkys, and Calixte are on the team.
        I don’t see a purge. It’s more a coincidence, in my opinion.

• Flavor said, on June 7, 2017 at 6:10 pm

all 4 of those guys will likely be gone by the all star break. Giants gonna go full-honky.

• djloo27 said, on June 7, 2017 at 6:11 pm

The first 3 were all on the team last year. Yesterday I listed 7 that were gone.
        Calixte will have a shorter career than that Pope who got poisoned…

21. zumiee said, on June 7, 2017 at 5:35 pm

With Puig, the potential is still intriguing for many. Even under-achieving, he has a current career OPS of .825, and his defensive judgment has improved.

• zumiee said, on June 7, 2017 at 5:37 pm

Off-field, his behavior may still cause issues with teammates.

22. zumiee said, on June 7, 2017 at 5:54 pm

Uecker statue was getting some lovin.’ That was pretty funny.

• djloo27 said, on June 7, 2017 at 5:59 pm

Uecker hit 14 career homers.
      Among his victims: Koufax, Jenkins, Perry…

• Lurker John said, on June 7, 2017 at 6:28 pm

And that hottie that was laying the lips to him…

23. zumiee said, on June 7, 2017 at 5:57 pm

Awesome blown call by the ump.

24. zumiee said, on June 7, 2017 at 6:02 pm

Posey was back to his high leg-kick for that HR.

• djloo27 said, on June 7, 2017 at 6:05 pm

He was seen speaking to Marichal during BP…

25. djloo27 said, on June 7, 2017 at 6:14 pm

Are your beloved Dubs up by 40 yet?

26. alleykat69 said, on June 7, 2017 at 6:16 pm

So my local waterhole bartender said fuck the Giants I’m switching all the 55 plasma to the Dub game cause he wants to follow a winner! I had no comeback comment for him..

• zumiee said, on June 7, 2017 at 6:23 pm

We have to wear it.

27. djloo27 said, on June 7, 2017 at 6:26 pm

Nice to see Calixte in the middle of a rally.
    So what if it’s for the Brewers…

28. Lurker John said, on June 7, 2017 at 6:26 pm

I swear to God, one bozo is worse than the last with these Giants OFers. If Calixte is an infielder by trade AND he can’t hit, why the fuck is he out there?! On the job training?

29. zumiee said, on June 7, 2017 at 6:27 pm

The Giants’ quest to find a leftfielder:

• blade3colorado said, on June 7, 2017 at 6:57 pm

Substitute “left fielder” with “team.”

• snarkk said, on June 7, 2017 at 10:56 pm

AKA, what happens when you go to work in the Drumpf White House…

30. zumiee said, on June 7, 2017 at 7:01 pm

Calixte is not awesome.

31. blade3colorado said, on June 7, 2017 at 7:13 pm

The clairvoyant King Flavor just nailed the blech . . . Umm, Blach meltdown.

• Flavor said, on June 7, 2017 at 7:26 pm

not too hard to see coming. Coming off highest pitch count of season vs a good hitting team on the road in a hitters park. I’m surprised it wasn’t worse.

32. alleykat69 said, on June 7, 2017 at 7:17 pm

So wasn’t the dude in Terminator 2 named Dyson?
    Well if are new reliever Dyson could somehow have a futuristic hand,arm,elbow and throws at 120 mph ripping Buster catchers glove ūü•ä to shreds then we have a player instead of a dumpster dive!!

33. zumiee said, on June 7, 2017 at 7:24 pm

Kontos is not awesome.

34. willedav said, on June 7, 2017 at 7:35 pm

2 of the latin ballplayers not re-signed from 2016 were Blanco and Pagan. Hindsight being 20/20 certainly an argument if Giants had both of them, probably at 10-12 mil range, they could have avoided all the Marrero et al nonsense and covered injuries to Span and Pence with 1 scrubini.

Puig in 2019 could be playing for Calixte Giants.

• chipower9 said, on June 7, 2017 at 8:49 pm

Great point. I was always a big proponent for bringing back Pagan, and hard to argue Blanco, too.

• fbchange said, on June 7, 2017 at 8:58 pm

Might only be 12 back with Pagan

35. djloo27 said, on June 7, 2017 at 7:57 pm

I hate this team.

36. djloo27 said, on June 7, 2017 at 8:11 pm

Matt Barnes looks like the saxophone player from Eddie & The Cruisers…

37. snarkk said, on June 7, 2017 at 8:19 pm

Refs favoring Cavs, as usual…

38. chipower9 said, on June 7, 2017 at 8:48 pm

Holy shit! What a game by the Warriors!

39. willedav said, on June 7, 2017 at 8:52 pm

My friend’s 2 boys went to Oco to watch it. Hope they have safe ride home…

• djloo27 said, on June 7, 2017 at 9:25 pm

Willie: I remember reading the blog from the Wild Card game when I got home that night and I was very touched that you expressed concern for my safety getting out of there. You’re a very good guy…

40. snarkk said, on June 7, 2017 at 9:30 pm

This Dubs team is really special…

41. unca_chuck said, on June 7, 2017 at 9:48 pm

The reffing has actually been pretty good. Till tonight. Lotsa weak ass shit. Still and all, KD getting some revenga on LBJ is sweet. The shot to take the lead was an ice cold dagger.

• zumiee said, on June 7, 2017 at 9:51 pm

He missed that shot on Christmas Day, which seems like a really long time ago.

42. mrsprtdude said, on June 7, 2017 at 10:00 pm

DLoo. Love the Eddie & the Cruisers reference. Best sound track ever!

• djloo27 said, on June 7, 2017 at 10:04 pm

Glad to hear that SportsDude.
      Eddie Wilson was ahead of his time – and we haven’t caught up to him yet…

43. djloo27 said, on June 7, 2017 at 10:08 pm