Perfection And Embarrassing Failure in the Bay Area

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 8, 2017

Beloved Dubs easing some of the misery of this 2017 baseball season. I respect Lebron’s talent but I don’t like him, Cleveland or the Cav fans. LeFlop literally faked his own death right on the court last night and you don’t usually get that type of comedy in such a big game.  The KD dagger was epic and I loved what he said in the immediate post game interview: “I’ve been practicing that shot my whole life.” I kinda hope the Warriors lose tomorrow just so they can take down the crown in front of the home town crowd. Three World Series championships and an NBA championship in the bank since 2010 and not one of them went down in the Bay Area. Can we ever get one of these to go down at home?????

Now back to reality. Johnny Showcase Day! Manage your blisters, pitch well, I’ll give you a knowing dude head nod on your way to New York or Boston…..

1. willedav said, on June 8, 2017 at 6:53 am

when you think about it, it is kind of odd Giants have so many white guys/so few Hispanic or black players on this year team in contrast to most of rest of baseball…Phils especially.
    Another one they cut ties with last year will be in town Friday—Triple O with the Twins.

Interesting enough, A’s are very similar, just a couple Hispanic pitchers (including Casilla who I watched blow away Josh Donaldson with high hard one for a save) plus Khris Davis, Rajai and the injured M Semien. Rajai is done, but the other two are young and exciting guys. So is the pitcher J Cotton.

As someone mentioned, who excites anyone (in a good way not throwing stuff at the screen) on this team beside the likely soon departed Cueto?

Nice clip from the movie, Loo. Barnes does look like the tenor sax guy minus of course all the artwork.

• Flavor said, on June 8, 2017 at 6:55 am

i believe it’s random that we have so many honky’s on the team but it’s going to look even worse when Cueto, Nunie, Gorks and Calixte leave…..

• willedav said, on June 8, 2017 at 7:04 am

is your A’s friend buddy excited about them? I catch an inning or two late in their home games sometimes. they aren’t very good and play terrible D but they hit a ton of bombs out of the Mausoleum no less and have some young guys that show potential. Donaldson did get revenge on them last night.

But they sure aren’t boring…even Mulder who announces a lot is upgrade. Interesting contrast to what Evans Giants have going on.

2. dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 8, 2017 at 7:12 am

Remember when KD came out and teams were worried because he couldn’t bench 225? Lulz

3. willedav said, on June 8, 2017 at 7:36 am

Gotta admit, that last 1 on 1 from Irving is all that’s wrong with today’s game, and I see it trickle down to 10 yr kids all the time including all the kids who aspire to be next Steph Curry.
    A dozen flashy dribble moves, and ten seconds later the ball is still 20 some odd feet from the hoop and all you get is a contested outside shot. Sign of the AAU apocalypse approach to basketball.

• zumiee said, on June 8, 2017 at 7:51 am

Theoretically, Durant was the same situation. If he misses that shot and the Warriors lose last night, then a lot of people would be asking why didn’t he learn his lesson from the Christmas Day loss? Run a play.
      To his credit, he made the shot, and that’s all people will remember. Green getting in his face after the Christmas loss will be largely forgotten.
      He made the shot last night on the biggest stage. He had supreme confidence in the shot.

• chipower9 said, on June 8, 2017 at 8:03 am

Like he said, and as Craig mentions, “I’ve been practicing that shot my whole life.”

4. wilcojoe said, on June 8, 2017 at 8:03 am

Fucking Astros beat writers are just as bad as the Giants. Keuchel gets scratched last night minutes before the game starts and not one of these idiots can get an explanation other than it was due to “illness”? Plus they just disappear from Twitter so they don’t have to respond to any of the questions. Pathetic.

5. chipower9 said, on June 8, 2017 at 8:04 am

I have watched all three games between Cavs and Warriors…more NBA games than I watched all damned year. And it has been entertaining ball. Two blow-outs, and a nail-biting come-back win last night. One more…

6. wilcojoe said, on June 8, 2017 at 8:04 am

Yeah as much as those Warriors fans must dish out for tickets, it would be nice for them to see them win it at home.

7. chipower9 said, on June 8, 2017 at 8:04 am

Mixed feelings between winning it at home and closing it out Friday. I lean towards closing it out Friday with a sweep of the entire playoffs…

8. Flavor said, on June 8, 2017 at 8:05 am

My A’s fan buddy has grown increasingly frustrated with the team and the way they sell tickets. He got into a huge ta-do with them when they wouldn’t let him buy individual tickets that were not sitting next to each other. In other words, he found a row with no buyers (obviously there were lots of these) and he tried to buy individual tickets next to him so that he would have a buffer zone for his young daughter that he wanted to take to the game. The A’s denied this at first. He caused a huge fit and they ended up profusely apologizing and giving him seats right behind home plate. This happened last year.

9. unca_chuck said, on June 8, 2017 at 8:13 am

I say sweep. Get it done. The Cavs, to a man, sounded absolutely demoralized by the loss yesterday.

10. chipower9 said, on June 8, 2017 at 8:41 am

1. Denard Span (L) CF
    2. Eduardo Nunez (R) 3B
    3. Joe Panik (L) 2B
    4. Brandon Belt (L) 1B
    5. Brandon Crawford (L) SS
    6. Nick Hundley (R) C
    7. Gorkys Hernandez (R) RF
    8. Austin Slater (R) LF
    9. Johnny Cueto (R) P

11. unca_chuck said, on June 8, 2017 at 8:59 am

Zumie, with the time left in the game (~40 seconds) a miss wouldn’t have sealed the loss. Get a stop and the W’s can still tie/take the lead on the next possession. Thompson, Curry, or KD would get the green light in that scenario. They live and die on the trey, so he took it. Plus we were beating them on the boards pretty good.

If I hear Mark Jackson say one more time that a 3-ball is “a layup to Curry/Klay/KD” I’m gonna kill him. A 3 is NOT a layup no matter howe easy they make it look. He of all people should know that.

12. unca_chuck said, on June 8, 2017 at 9:17 am

Oh good. A morning (mourning) game?

See if Johnny Bravo can muster up the split.

• zumiee said, on June 8, 2017 at 9:29 am

The scrubini lineup today makes it a bigger challenge, though.

13. unca_chuck said, on June 8, 2017 at 9:58 am

Ahhh, no Posey. And Christian Slater in the OF.

14. unca_chuck said, on June 8, 2017 at 10:10 am

15. snarkk said, on June 8, 2017 at 10:11 am

I’m with BF that it would be nice for Dubs to take it at home. But, get it tomorrow if possible, don’t give them any hope…

16. alleykat69 said, on June 8, 2017 at 10:28 am

Pretty classic of Lebron getting decked by his own teammate and probably wanted a foul call on the Dubs!
    Maybe the refs should of called a flagrant foul on his teammate and given the Dubs some free throws..

17. willedav said, on June 8, 2017 at 10:50 am

Just started Leo Durocher bio. check this out from his first days in minors in 1925. His team is going against player-mgr Stengel, and, “One day when the two teams met, Stengel got to the ballpark early, and while the Senators (of Hartford Durocher’s team) were holding a meeting Stengel went out to the SS position and scratched Durocher’s batting avg.—.208 at the time—in the dirt in letters six feet tall.”

Man baseball was lot grittier game 90 years ago.

• djloo27 said, on June 8, 2017 at 10:57 am

• zumiee said, on June 8, 2017 at 11:00 am

I want to get to that book eventually.
      I’m currently reading Sinclair Lewis’ “It Can’t Happen Here,” his 1935 novel about a fascist takeover of the U.S.
      It reads less like fiction these days….

18. zumiee said, on June 8, 2017 at 11:35 am

The way Kuiper says “Belt will take his walks” doesn’t sound like a big compliment.

19. Flavor said, on June 8, 2017 at 11:35 am

Wilco– that Keuchel thing pissed me off. I had him (and Buck Farmer) in my h2h and there was zero heads up he was dealing with an illness. I still beat my opponent 113 to 88 even with the 0 I took from him but it was irritating at the time.

20. Macdog said, on June 8, 2017 at 11:40 am

It’s come to this: I’m watching a U.S. women’s soccer friendly over the Giants.

• zumiee said, on June 8, 2017 at 11:52 am

21. zumiee said, on June 8, 2017 at 11:57 am

It’s being reported that Morse also injured his ribs in the Strick fiasco.

• willedav said, on June 8, 2017 at 12:18 pm

I realize if Strick hadn’t done what he did yada yada, but Morse and Samrdz running into each other full steam and colliding is really only their own fault imo.

22. unca_chuck said, on June 8, 2017 at 12:01 pm

Jesus. Can’t we call the Morse experiment done?

• zumiee said, on June 8, 2017 at 12:05 pm

Sometimes Bochy is the last to know.

23. willedav said, on June 8, 2017 at 12:26 pm

Boom! From a LF no less. Good for the kid no doubt rocket and Cueto has lead again.

24. dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 8, 2017 at 12:26 pm

I guess Johnny hasn’t been peeing on his hand.

25. Macdog said, on June 8, 2017 at 12:27 pm

Austin power!

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 8, 2017 at 12:27 pm

nice

• chipower9 said, on June 8, 2017 at 12:40 pm

Ha. You back from the ladies’ friendly, Mac?

• Macdog said, on June 8, 2017 at 12:49 pm

Yep, U.S. beat the Swedes 1-nil.

26. Flavor said, on June 8, 2017 at 1:00 pm

this morning on Kruk’s show he described the parade of LF’s this year as “sheep heading to slaughter” which I thought was funny. He then went on to say someone had to step up and produce (obvious). Slater hitting a bomb today is nice but I don’t think he’s even close to a LF answer. But hey, Stanford man, so I can give him a little more rope I guess….

27. Macdog said, on June 8, 2017 at 1:08 pm

Lordy, this team is bad.

28. unca_chuck said, on June 8, 2017 at 1:20 pm

Eucker is questioning Hernandez’s slide.

29. unca_chuck said, on June 8, 2017 at 1:22 pm

OK, well, Hill can stay . . .

30. chipower9 said, on June 8, 2017 at 1:23 pm

Charlie – I was just about to say, “and THAT is why you want a vet like Hill on the club.” As opposed to a vet like Morse. 😉

• Flavor said, on June 8, 2017 at 1:36 pm

by the way, Happy Birthday my man!

• chipower9 said, on June 8, 2017 at 2:07 pm

Thanks, Flav. The big six-oh. But not a damned thing feels different!

31. Flavor said, on June 8, 2017 at 1:36 pm

Hill again? Nice. Need a guy like him on the bench.

32. alleykat69 said, on June 8, 2017 at 2:13 pm

Garko was a Stanford man as well BF,and we all know how that one turned out..

33. unca_chuck said, on June 8, 2017 at 2:22 pm

Hah. Someone older than me! HBD, Chi!

34. zumiee said, on June 8, 2017 at 2:45 pm

Great closer we got here.

35. unca_chuck said, on June 8, 2017 at 2:45 pm

Gerrrrrrrrrrk. Saved by the wall. Maybe.

36. unca_chuck said, on June 8, 2017 at 2:55 pm

Temoprarilly.

37. Macdog said, on June 8, 2017 at 2:59 pm

Melancon of a bitch.

38. unca_chuck said, on June 8, 2017 at 2:59 pm

Wow. Good, bad, and ugly all in one half inning.

39. snarkk said, on June 8, 2017 at 3:03 pm

Is this Melancon dude still hurt?
    Was he damaged goods when they signed him?
    From the get go, he’s seemed no better than anybody else in the Pen.
    It’s not that he’s been overused, that’s for sure…

• unca_chuck said, on June 8, 2017 at 3:09 pm

Underused if anything.

• snarkk said, on June 8, 2017 at 3:13 pm

Yep, and he still went on DL with elbow or forearm or whatever it was…

40. unca_chuck said, on June 8, 2017 at 3:11 pm

Think Melonhead pitches in the bottom of the 10th?

41. unca_chuck said, on June 8, 2017 at 3:11 pm

Or did Pence just bat in his spot?

42. Flavor said, on June 8, 2017 at 3:14 pm

Just got out of work, hoped in my car, heard one batter (span) and flemm is absolutely beside himself at how unlikely this win might be. Looking forward to seeing the highlights at mlb.com

43. unca_chuck said, on June 8, 2017 at 3:14 pm

Huh. 10th inning thunder. Whodathunk?

44. snarkk said, on June 8, 2017 at 3:14 pm

Specs comes through again in the clutch.
    If they send him back down again, I’ll consider that management has no idea what it is doing…

45. unca_chuck said, on June 8, 2017 at 3:22 pm

Twins picked up Charlton Heston?

46. snarkk said, on June 8, 2017 at 3:27 pm

What are the odds on Law getting outs 1-2-3?…

• snarkk said, on June 8, 2017 at 3:31 pm

Pretty long, apparently.
      Sheezus. 2 hits already.
      This Pen is true doggy doo…

47. Macdog said, on June 8, 2017 at 3:35 pm

It’s a win, I guess.

48. snarkk said, on June 8, 2017 at 3:38 pm

Phew, Law nicely extricated w/ double play to end this bad boy with a win.
    After the Melancon Meltdown, a rather uplifting result.
    At this stage, a split of a roadie 4-gamer set is pretty good. A win every once in a while helps keep me interested. All I want now is see how these young farm players will succeed, or fail. Cueto — trade him. Morse and these other retreads who are gone for sure next year, cut ’em loose sooner than later. Is Hundley really better than Brown would have been? At handling pitchers, I suppose. At hitting, no…

49. unca_chuck said, on June 8, 2017 at 3:40 pm

Hey a win is a win is a win.

• Bozo said, on June 8, 2017 at 3:41 pm

True.

• zumiee said, on June 8, 2017 at 3:46 pm

50. unca_chuck said, on June 8, 2017 at 3:47 pm

I ain’t holding my breath, but all they need to do is start winning serieses.

51. zumiee said, on June 8, 2017 at 6:03 pm

Melancon got the win. That’s pretty funny.

• snarkk said, on June 8, 2017 at 6:27 pm

For $64 million, it’s hilarious…

52. djloo27 said, on June 8, 2017 at 6:16 pm

Melancon not only sucks, but he’s another fidgety honky who takes forever between pitches…

53. djloo27 said, on June 8, 2017 at 6:24 pm

I didn’t know Melancon came up with the Yanks…

54. dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 8, 2017 at 7:42 pm

This win is nice and all but I’ve got a little story about an old friend of mine who recently took over executive chef responsibilities at the colosseum. It sounds fancy and whatnot but all he really does is come up with the menu, make the food orders and boss around the staff. What’s cool about it is that Rickey stops by regularly and they’ve apparently become good pals. Now he’s posting pictures every day of him and Rickey like they’re a new couple or something. There they are playing ping pong on Monday and going skeet shooting on Wednesday. Fucking skeet shooting with The Rickey. They’re going golfing or some shit tomorrow. I’m not often jealous but Rickey was my favorite player as a kid and this is nuts.

• Flavor said, on June 8, 2017 at 8:27 pm

that’s cool. Does he refer to himself as “Rickey” when they’re hanging out? Doesn’t Rickey have anyone else to hang out with? This is kinda weird, right? He was one of my all time fav players too

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 8, 2017 at 8:56 pm

Yeah, it is kind of weird but from what he says he beat him pretty good at ping pong and they struck it up from there. I imagine Rickey is still pretty competitive and my buddy was an epic ping pong player back in the day so it sounds like Rickey took a liking to him. He’s chef at some exclusive club level area and a lot of the team’s famous vets stop by to do the meet and greet deal. It looks like they’re usually on a group date so the staff is probably close or something. Really, what the hell else does Rickey have to do? I don’t picture him staying home and reading. I haven’t asked if Rickey calls himself Rickey when they’re hanging out but his feed is full of “Rickey like you cooking at Rickey’s field” type blasts

55. djloo27 said, on June 8, 2017 at 7:47 pm

Hey, hey, we’re the Honkys
    And people say we honky around
    But we’re too busy losing
    To send anybody down

• Flavor said, on June 8, 2017 at 7:49 pm

POTD

• djloo27 said, on June 8, 2017 at 7:51 pm

You know the song? You’re too young…

• Flavor said, on June 9, 2017 at 5:44 am

it’s pretty popular, I’d have to live in a hole to have never heard it. I like your lyrics better.

56. Flavor said, on June 8, 2017 at 7:48 pm

thinking of our good friend PK today and his mom
    Paul Kocak‏ @kocakwords 2m2 minutes ago
    My mom, 100, must have 9 lives. Fell. Cracked skull. Brain bleeding. That was Monday. Discharged from hospital to a rehab today. Long day.

• snarkk said, on June 8, 2017 at 9:23 pm

She must be a tough ol’ bird.
      And, I mean that as a compliment…

57. unca_chuck said, on June 9, 2017 at 8:04 am

Damn. Sorry to hear that, wherever you are, Paul.