At Least We Aren’t The Padres

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 11, 2017

The 2017 Death Train rolls on but wait! An unexpected detour? What’s this? We are NOT in last place anymore? I haven’t checked in a few days but I see we have steamrolled .5 games ahead of the Padres. I don’t know how you pull yourself out of last place when you lose almost every day but apparently we accomplished the feat.

The Twins are sending out someone named *Nik Turley* and besides the fact that he’s a dude who spells his first name like some shithead Kardashian I feel like a shutdown may be on the horizon for our boys draped in cream. Here are the things Turley has going for him v The Giants today: 1) he sucks 2) he was once a 50th round pick 3) he was once in our organization. All 3 of those things will likely result him him twirling a quality start, maybe better than that.

Warriors on Monday feels a long way away right now…..

1. wilcojoe said, on June 11, 2017 at 7:21 am

Flav, great call on Ascend! You have nailed a handful of horses on here, just in the last five years or so. Not one of which was a slam dunk call.

I wouldn’t be surprised if there are a couple degenerate lurkers out there that only read the blog on big race days just to cash in on your expertise.

• Flavor said, on June 11, 2017 at 7:28 am

yesterday was a good score. I hit the pick 3 and trifecta on Ascend and then (with him on 3rd leg of pick4, 2nd leg of triple) I hit the pick 4 and the pick 3 on Tapwrit. So, a great call AND a great payout. Now that I just play at tvg in my living room there’s no one to high five when I hit something so I appreciate the props. 🙂

2. willedav said, on June 11, 2017 at 8:35 am

“Is there anyone easier to pitch to than Pence?” Hell no.

Lurie said he hasn’t had a BB in his last 60 PAs. What?

Still bugs me to watch ABs like many Giants had vs. Santana–letting first pitch sliders thrown for strikes (in the zone away) go by to get behind in count and then swinging and missing/grounding out weakly vs. the ones in the dirt later.

3. djloo27 said, on June 11, 2017 at 9:13 am

Wonder if he’s related to Bullet Bob…

• Flavor said, on June 11, 2017 at 11:12 am

i had no idea who this was but Marty Lurie made a ref to him on his show this morning on KNBR

• willedav said, on June 11, 2017 at 11:47 am

claims to be distant relative apparently.

4. zumiee said, on June 11, 2017 at 9:26 am

“I don’t know how you pull yourself out of last place when you lose almost every day but apparently we accomplished the feat.”

It’s pretty remarkable. Only the Padres and Phils have a worst record in MLB, and we know what trouble the Giants had playing the Phils recently.
    The Giants have a worst record than the A’s, and that’s an astounding accomplishment.

• willedav said, on June 11, 2017 at 10:01 am

considering all above were supposed to bad with low payroll, many young players and no one making $20 mil +.
      To have 28th best record in all baseball is just embarrassing.

5. unca_chuck said, on June 11, 2017 at 9:41 am

This is looking like the 2007 days when we were basically terrible at everything. The death march that was Bonds’ home run chase. Ort-rod, big titty and Big sweaty led the way to 71-91.

Looking at the numbers, we are much worse than that team.

6. Flavor said, on June 11, 2017 at 10:25 am

7. snarkk said, on June 11, 2017 at 10:55 am

Turley’s got another thing going for him. The Hammer. His first major league start. That’s the death warrant for the Giants.
    I think every opponent saves up their AAA dudes for the Giants, and when that series happens, they bring up the new guy — the Giants kryptonite…

8. snarkk said, on June 11, 2017 at 10:58 am

Seems like every other team the Giants play is throwing a youngster starter against them. Yet, the Giants keep trotting out Cain to get his ass kicked on the road, when Beede should be coming up to learn the ropes for next season. Cain’s better at home, but the kryptonite of the first MLB start for the oppo should control this one. Hopefully SF can avoid another shutout…

9. snarkk said, on June 11, 2017 at 11:01 am

Here’s the massive LU to take on Turley…

1. Kelby Tomlinson (R) SS
    2. Eduardo Nunez (R) 3B
    3. Aaron Hill (R) 2B
    4. Buster Posey (R) 1B
    5. Hunter Pence (R) RF
    6. Nick Hundley (R) C
    7. Austin Slater (R) LF
    8. Gorkys Hernandez (R) CF
    9. Matt Cain (R) P

• Flavor said, on June 11, 2017 at 11:11 am

Turley prolly faced a lot of these guys in the minors. I bet there will be lots of hand shaking and hugging and reacquainting with old friends…..

• snarkk said, on June 11, 2017 at 11:23 am

Too, I’d bet on lots of friendly strike outs…

10. snarkk said, on June 11, 2017 at 11:20 am

Gorkys.
    I don’t blame him for being here.
    I just wonder why he still is.
    Of the 17 CFs in the NL with over 100 ABs so far in the season, he is the only one with an OPS under .600. All by his lonesome. And, he’s nearly at .500. Let that sink in for a moment. No other regular CFs in the NL are even close to being as bad, as near useless a hitter, as this guy. It gets better. Of the 30 CFs in the majors with over 100 ABs, there are two others in the AL with OPS under .600, but Gorkys is dead last. He wins the award as the absolute worst offensive CFer in baseball. I find it incredible the Giants keep trotting him out there, that there is nobody else in the minors better than this…

AB 109
    .193/.273/.239/.511

• djloo27 said, on June 11, 2017 at 11:28 am

It’s an insult to their paying customers…

• Lurker John said, on June 11, 2017 at 3:23 pm

Key word: paying. As long as the dough keeps flowing in, the Giants will be perfectly content to let Bobby fucking Evans trot joke lineups out there.

11. mrsprtdude said, on June 11, 2017 at 11:27 am

Snarkk I would sad with all sadness that it IS the case we have no one better in the minors. Arroyo was better ( i know different position) and they brought him up. Calico Slater Williamson Parker….et.. show they Sabs Evans Boch know how bad we are and really DON’T have any one else worth trying.

• snarkk said, on June 11, 2017 at 11:32 am

Well, he has been on a hot streak lately. 3 for 6 over his last 3 games…

12. mrsprtdude said, on June 11, 2017 at 11:28 am

I would say….

13. snarkk said, on June 11, 2017 at 12:40 pm

Reports that its really windy today at ATT.
    Not good for Cain. Hope he can hold it to 2 HRs…

14. willedav said, on June 11, 2017 at 12:43 pm

wow Judge kid just hit one almost to scoreboard in LCF, just past bleachers into walkway…..490.

• willedav said, on June 11, 2017 at 12:51 pm

right in front of where retired numbers are.

• snarkk said, on June 11, 2017 at 1:19 pm

Looks like Yanks may have a budding redux of Mantle…

• Lurker John said, on June 11, 2017 at 3:25 pm

496 feet, officially.

15. snarkk said, on June 11, 2017 at 12:58 pm

Seriously, Bochy needs to stop saying, like he just did on the pregame show, that the players are “trying too hard” to hit. That’s total meaningless craptrap with this lackluster roster led by guys like Gorkys. Especially with the oppo teams hitting the hell out of the ball, including at ATT…

16. sandog said, on June 11, 2017 at 1:29 pm

Twins feed pointed out how Nunez jogged over to third on that fly out when that was the kind of ball where guys can sometimes score from second there. Pete Rose, he ain’t.
    My goodnes Pence is a mess right now.
    Glad to see some love for Adam West was posted yesterday. Far and away my favorite Batman and I’d watch 2 hours of the TV series over any of those movies any day.
    Fyi I think Jared Kushner kind of looks like a young Adam West. (And probably has as much business being in the oval office) Ba Da Bing!

17. Flavor said, on June 11, 2017 at 1:34 pm

once again, Giants announcers blaming the bombs vs Cain on *lots of carry* in the ballpark. He’s getting shelled, call it what it is.

• snarkk said, on June 11, 2017 at 2:34 pm

Well, Cain’s at least held them to the 2 HRs so far…

18. Flavor said, on June 11, 2017 at 1:41 pm

can you imagine how irritating it would be to bring your fucking dog to a game? I don’t have a dog so maybe I’m overestimating the trouble it would be. It looks awful.

19. Flavor said, on June 11, 2017 at 1:43 pm

blows my mind how Kuip cracks the same dumb joke (“and that bat is GONE!”) every time a bat flies into the stands. How could he be that clueless? It’s a fucking death projectile heading towards fellow defenseless humans and he’s yucking it up. Insane.

20. Flavor said, on June 11, 2017 at 2:17 pm

it’s funny to me why any pitcher would ever throw a fastball to Pence. He can’t hit any other pitch so you throw him the pitch he can hit? That makes a lot of sense.

• snarkk said, on June 11, 2017 at 2:32 pm

I’d throw him one of his vids with his wife in it. He’d screw himself into the ground swinging on that one…

• Flavor said, on June 11, 2017 at 2:46 pm

the thing about Pence is that he was always overachieving. He has a weird ass swing, weird ass throwing motion. He made it by exerting maximum energy and focus. Once this chick came into his life he clearly didn’t put the same energy or focus into his game. And that’s fine, he’s made his money and he’s had a nice career. I can’t fault him for it. But it’s shocking how thin the line is with him between being a good major leaguer and being a shit one.

21. snarkk said, on June 11, 2017 at 2:29 pm

Giants deserve being a feckless offensive team.
    Man on 3rd, nobody out, and our buddy Gorkys grounds straight to third base, runner has to hold. He got a hit the last time up, but not now when it counts. What about a safety squeeze? Nah, this team is run by Bochy.
    Followed by a strikeout by Cain, he couldn’t even hit some kind of dribbler, or an attempt at a safety squeeze. Hundly at third, yeah he has catcher legs, so you can’t possibly try something to make the defense make a play here. You know, can’t risk it, being just 14 games below .500.
    Tomlinson follows by another ground out to end the inning. Pathetic hitting, and sit on your hands managing…

• willedav said, on June 11, 2017 at 2:51 pm

K/K pointed out the guy falls off mound toward 3b, so pushing safety squeeze bunt to right side of mound might have worked with Gorkys. with Cain, no.

22. snarkk said, on June 11, 2017 at 2:37 pm

Miller ripping Gorkys for his boneheaded throw to third that allows the runner to take second, giving up the double play chance. Then, rips him a second time when Cain immediately gives up the single to give up the 2 runs, including the guy scoring from second. I can’t imagine an outfielder much worse than this Gorkys dude…

23. snarkk said, on June 11, 2017 at 2:41 pm

Cain with his predictable, flaccid 4.1 innings giving up 5 earnies, 2 dingers, 7 hits. 80 pitches. One earnie due to Kontos giving up a hit. Kontos seems like he’s bringing in a 91 octane mitt these days. Anyway, get Beede in here, and cut Cain’s ass, or put him on the DL with the latest mystery injury. I see no good reason to continue to run Cain out there…

• willedav said, on June 11, 2017 at 2:47 pm

followed by equally predictable compost making things worse. Gad this guy bugs me.

24. Flavor said, on June 11, 2017 at 2:50 pm

the draft is tomorrow. Anyone know where we draft? Time to focus up on the future again.

• willedav said, on June 11, 2017 at 2:53 pm

19th iirc. Wow Nunez smokes one into LF corner for a double. If you trade him off, who else is ever gonna hit? I’ll give him credit, he’s stinging the ball.

• snarkk said, on June 11, 2017 at 3:33 pm

I want to see some damn OFers drafted early…

25. Flavor said, on June 11, 2017 at 2:53 pm

that wasn’t bad for a 50th rounder. Think about that. That is a LOT of dudes going ahead of you. I wonder how many 50th rounders ever make it to the show? It’s gotta be 1 every few years, if that.

26. willedav said, on June 11, 2017 at 3:06 pm

Triple O!

• willedav said, on June 11, 2017 at 3:07 pm

and compost falls behind him 3-0 and throws 4 pitch walk. to TRIPLE O??? wtf are you afraid of?

27. willedav said, on June 11, 2017 at 3:17 pm

Something lurie brought up yesterday was that Twins were actively shopping Dozier in off season. Everyone was worried LA was gonna get him, but Giants sure could have made legit offer too.
    He might not ever hit 42 bombs again but he does have power and runs well enough to steal a bag too.

Huge upgrade at the plate over Panik or any other Giant IF to say the least.
    And they sure ain’t dumping the guy off now.

28. Lurker John said, on June 11, 2017 at 3:21 pm

Where the hell is our Aaron Judge? This guy is making Giancarlo Stanton look like Hunter Pence.

29. alleykat69 said, on June 11, 2017 at 3:21 pm

The question if it really matters,
    Gorky are Triple O which idiot do you guys feel is the worse?

• snarkk said, on June 11, 2017 at 3:32 pm

Gorkys. He makes bonehead defensive plays, and his defense is supposed to be why he stays on the 25 (bogus, they just don’t have anybody else they think is ready). Agent 000 will make physical errors…

30. snarkk said, on June 11, 2017 at 3:33 pm

Does Osich ever come in and NOT walk somebody?…

31. Lurker John said, on June 11, 2017 at 3:33 pm

I’m telling you it’s photographs, damaging images of Bochy, Evans or Sabes, or all 3, maybe in the sack with a sheep or some bovine type creature. How else do you explain 000 and Gorkys sticking around for so long?

• snarkk said, on June 11, 2017 at 3:37 pm

I dunno. But, it’s not debatable. Gorkys is objectively the worst CFer in the majors with over 100 ABs. I don’t know who is playing CF in Sac, but I really can’t see how that dude would be worse than this. If he is worse, then the Giants are hosed for the OF over the foreseeable future…

• willedav said, on June 11, 2017 at 3:48 pm

Slater played there I dunno why they don’t throw him out there once a week or so just to get him used to all the ground to cover out there. Span isn’t anything outstanding defensively to begin with either.

• snarkk said, on June 11, 2017 at 3:53 pm

Yep, Span has a rag arm. I’m up for that kind of move, for sure, willed. This outfield has got to get something going, somehow…

32. snarkk said, on June 11, 2017 at 3:44 pm

Posey with the double and two RBIs to go ahead !…

33. snarkk said, on June 11, 2017 at 3:46 pm

Pence wakes up !
    His first extra base hits today since May 8…

34. willedav said, on June 11, 2017 at 3:46 pm

Matt Belisle. giants finally found someone they could rake.

35. Lurker John said, on June 11, 2017 at 3:47 pm

Signs of life. It’s alive!

36. snarkk said, on June 11, 2017 at 3:50 pm

This Slater kid. Looks like he has a pulse at the plate. Hope Bochy doesn’t bury him on the end of the bench for some reason. Another example of bringing these young players up. Bring up Ryder Jones, and cut Gorkys. Let’s get a look at these guys. Are they waiting to get 20 games under .500?…

37. alleykat69 said, on June 11, 2017 at 3:50 pm

This has to be their best all-round hitting inning of the year, lots of smoked baseball hits ..

38. Lurker John said, on June 11, 2017 at 3:51 pm

Slater has been hitting lately. So that means he’ll be in there every game right? RIGHT?

39. gianthead said, on June 11, 2017 at 3:53 pm

I have not watched Slater since the call uo…whats the prognosis docs???

• alleykat69 said, on June 11, 2017 at 4:06 pm

GH..Shows some pop, like the Monster HR he hit in Denver I like his approach. With that said Giants will probably ship him out, are trade him cause he might have a future..

• gianthead said, on June 11, 2017 at 4:11 pm

Thanks kat

• gianthead said, on June 11, 2017 at 4:12 pm

I don’t know where my comment about meeting Slater at AA (must have been last year to see Arroyo) and he was obnoxiously proud he went to Stanford when I asked…

40. zumiee said, on June 11, 2017 at 4:00 pm

Reds brought a reliever in and he walked the first three batters he faced, then gave up a grand slam to Seager.
    Man, there’s a lot of bad teams. The NL has only 5 teams above .500.

41. alleykat69 said, on June 11, 2017 at 4:01 pm

Lol 😂 Lurker!
    I could see a 3 way with Boch, Sabes,&Evans caught on film at some sleazy bath house by Gorky.Are maybe the video was passed down to him by OOO to make sure both would stick in the bigs??

• Lurker John said, on June 11, 2017 at 4:31 pm

🙂

42. zumiee said, on June 11, 2017 at 4:07 pm

It always blows my mind when a major leaguer can’t play better than me. I could walk three guys in a row and then give up a grand slam to Seager. I really could.

• snarkk said, on June 11, 2017 at 4:10 pm

Phuck that zum.
      I’d signal in to intentionally walk the first 3 without throwing a pitch.
      Then, I’d definitely signal in to intentionally walk Seager in. Hey, I just saved 3 runs without making a pitch…
      😉

43. snarkk said, on June 11, 2017 at 4:09 pm

If SF went ahead and DFA’d Gorkys, it is a mortal lock like the next sunrise that nobody would pick him up. He’d just cycle back to Sac where he belongs…

44. Flavor said, on June 11, 2017 at 4:17 pm

more fastballs for Pence. Hilarious. Hey, keep throwing them to him lol!

45. snarkk said, on June 11, 2017 at 4:19 pm

Slater should be guaranteed playing LF for the next month ! …

46. Macdog said, on June 11, 2017 at 4:20 pm

Looks like they might win one.

47. willedav said, on June 11, 2017 at 4:20 pm

wow nice shot from the kid another good whack. He can run too.

48. zumiee said, on June 11, 2017 at 4:24 pm

Pence has some hits today; y’all take it easy on Lexi for a while. 🙂

• snarkk said, on June 11, 2017 at 4:25 pm

Maybe she’s out of town today?…

49. zumiee said, on June 11, 2017 at 4:28 pm

Royals come in for two; what a weird little series. A scheduling quirk.

50. alleykat69 said, on June 11, 2017 at 4:31 pm

Great, they bring in Dyson immediately gives up 2hits as K/K builds him up like he’s something special..Dyson reminds me of Scott Munter which isn’t a good thing!!

• zumiee said, on June 11, 2017 at 4:32 pm

The Dumpster Dive special.

• snarkk said, on June 11, 2017 at 4:35 pm

Well, if you can’t work with an 8 run lead, you better get to Sac and work on something. I don’t know if they could pop him back down to Sac, if he has no options, they’d have to DFA him…

51. alleykat69 said, on June 11, 2017 at 4:35 pm

Only the Giants take on other teams rejects and expect something good might happen..

52. snarkk said, on June 11, 2017 at 4:37 pm

Wow, not all his fault. Basically 2 errors made behind him…

53. alleykat69 said, on June 11, 2017 at 4:38 pm

Well that was exciting. Dyson lasted longer in Terminator 2 then this one..

54. Lurker John said, on June 11, 2017 at 4:59 pm

That was painful.

55. djloo27 said, on June 11, 2017 at 5:32 pm

Does Dyson get credit for a “hold”?
    He looks like a slimmed down Rick Reuschel to me…

56. djloo27 said, on June 11, 2017 at 5:53 pm

I was thinking – October will be 3 years since the last WS title.
    How fast are the years going by?

57. gianthead said, on June 11, 2017 at 6:29 pm

In terms of the draft, o found this article interesting:

A Kentucky boy!!! No high school kids seems the way to go for us. We need nature hitters that may be ready quickly like Will the Thrill was. Not saying this kid is what numbers are impressive. As many homers in his junior year this year as his freshman and sophomore seasons combined. And what is interesting about this kid is apparently is his speed. Even though he plays first, projects as an OF and possibly with the speed to play center. Projects as a potential 20-20 guy. That would be tremendous out of a future CF. I would be surprised if he has lead-off hitter schools. I think we need to develop 25-30 homer types for the corner outfield spots.

Does Slater look like a potential 25 homer type??? Belt should be and I am giving up hope with him.

Out of Cueto, Pence, Melancon and maybe Nunez, can we get a couple of other legit hitting prospects via trade that maybe could be a big-league OF next year or year after???

• Flavor said, on June 11, 2017 at 7:19 pm

Slater didn’t look like a 25 homer type at Stanford. Far from it. In fact I can’t remember him ever homering tho I don’t go to the games like I used to. I saw him play at Sunken Diamond a handful of times. Totally underwhelming, at least in terms of NOT looking like an MLB prospect. However, I thought the same thing about Piscotty. I didn’t think either of them would play mlb.

58. Flavor said, on June 11, 2017 at 7:16 pm

we have the 19th pick in the first round tomorrow. 19 doesn’t get me going.

59. alleykat69 said, on June 11, 2017 at 7:37 pm

Well we did draft a outfielder with the 19th pick in 1998 unfortunately it was Tony Torcato lol 😂
    The best 19th pick recently was Alex Rios Toronto that worked out for sure..
    Who knows in the draft? Freaking Mike Trout went 25th.. though we did all right getting Bumgarner in the same draft I believe..

60. pawliekokonuts said, on June 11, 2017 at 7:42 pm

Good stuff here. Fun to read.

61. dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 11, 2017 at 8:24 pm

Condensed games on the MLB app are pretty nice. Gotta wonder what Specs has to do to stick as the utility guy. Nunez is right in his wheelhouse on a last place team so of course he’s looking good. Pence appears sickly to me, hope that guy is a okay. A handful of doubles may make him feel better. We’re more of a Bissel family but Dyson looks like a potential keeper. A legit left fielder would’ve caught one of those hits and Posey bobbled another at 1b. He needs to clean that shit up for when they move Belt. Slater looks to be better than Parker. Can he play CF?

62. zumiee said, on June 11, 2017 at 8:45 pm

Bellinger hit his 14th and 15th HRs today for the Dodgers. In physical features, face and body, he looks like the young Ted Williams.
    A 5th round draft pick, too bad we missed on this guy. I know the draft is a crap-shoot regarding the vast majority of these players, but still…..

63. zumiee said, on June 11, 2017 at 8:51 pm

The Yankees got Aaron Judge in the 2013 draft with the 32nd pick overall. Every team had passed on him in the first round. The Giants had taken Arroyo.

64. zumiee said, on June 11, 2017 at 9:00 pm

Specs sparked the team on offense today, early in the game.
    Who said he should have been on this year’s big league roster from the get-go? Oh yeah, the Flap.
    Who said more should have been done for the outfield in the off-season? The Flap.
    Who said more should have been done for the bullpen in the off-season? The Flap.

• djloo27 said, on June 11, 2017 at 9:39 pm

I think Zumie’s post can be sung to the Theme from Shaft…

• xoot said, on June 11, 2017 at 10:15 pm

Some years back a bunch of honkies paid huge copyright infringement damages for imitating that song in a tv ad for Schlitz Malt Liquor. Whoever owns that copyright is a bad motherfucker. But hell, even that entity won’t care about a not for profit parody.

• djloo27 said, on June 11, 2017 at 10:31 pm

You’re damn right!

65. snarkk said, on June 11, 2017 at 10:12 pm

• snarkk said, on June 11, 2017 at 10:15 pm

Not sure there’s a better theme song for opening credits in a movie.
      Moon River for the iconic opening of Breakfast at Tiffany’s?…

• xoot said, on June 11, 2017 at 10:39 pm

great movie opening credit music: Reservoir Dogs; Do the Right Thing; The Harder They Come

66. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on June 11, 2017 at 10:54 pm

My fav film opening music: “The End” by the Doors, Apocalypse Now…

• xoot said, on June 11, 2017 at 11:08 pm

I like that opening scene well enough, but it’s a bit strange. The End is a song about a crazy guy who fucks his mother and then kills his father. A sort of updated hippie era Oedipus tale. wtf does that have to do with the war? I never figured that out. I do know one UC English professor, however, who thinks Apocalypse Now is a great remake of Heart of Darkness. I disagree with her.

67. zumiee said, on June 11, 2017 at 11:03 pm

Those are all great ones, folks.
    I’d had the opening of “Hard Day’s Night” to that, too.

• zumiee said, on June 11, 2017 at 11:10 pm

“add”

68. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on June 11, 2017 at 11:26 pm

Yes, the song’s literal meaning doesn’t relate to the war, but… “the end” of things is prevalent in the film. I actually thought it was brilliant use of it, especially with the backdrop of the slow mo helicopters dropping napalm…. And yes, not a great strict remake of the book, but brilliant on its own. It took me a few viewings to actually feel that way. Maybe also living over here all these years has helped my understanding of what Coppola was trying to do. Opening words to the film: “Saigon. Shit, I’m still only in Saigon…” … hahaha, I use that one all the time…