2017 Death Train Chugs On

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 14, 2017

I’ll be honest, I didn’t make it through that game. After years of being competitive and in the thick of the race, it’s hard to get jazzed up about sitting down for 2-3 hours and watching a game that doesn’t really matter. I love baseball so that keeps me going for a bit but when you add in that it’s not very interesting baseball and….I dunno. Hard to rally for it.

Cueto day game. He is easily our best trade piece as long as he’s pitching well. The money he’s owed if he DOESN’T opt out is not an issue. Go take a look at the type of pitchers who get 80 million dollar deals (Mile Leake and Wei-Yin Chen are 2 guys who come to mind) and you’ll see that the rest of Cueto’s deal is not an issue. He’s nearly guaranteed to opt out where he will get MORE than 80 million. He will be looked at like a short term rental the same way Carlos Beltran was when we traded our top pitching prospect for him.

1. unca_chuck said, on June 14, 2017 at 7:32 am

It used to be that the hope was the Giants would at least be semi-entertaining through the summer till football rolled around. That’s out the door. This is recalling 1985 for boring.

The Niners? Well, they appear to be heading in the right direction. This season looks like an incremental one as we wait for Kirk Cousins. Bryan Hoyer certainly isn’t the answer.

2. chipower9 said, on June 14, 2017 at 7:47 am

Great post, and I agree on all facets, Craig. I was watching last night, kind of half-assed, when it was 2-1 (5th inning?), and said fuck it…I am going to bed (I get up at 4:45 to get ready for work). I took one last look at my phone before checking-out, and saw a score (8 to fucking 1). Glad I bailed when I did.

I too LOVE the game of baseball, but it is very hard to dedicate three hours to watch this team. I don’t give a fuck what Evans has to say about this year’s squad, he flat-ass swung and missed on the construction of this team. I will probably try to follow along at work today, but there really is no motivation on my part to invest in this team.

My daughter will be taking me to a game later in the year for my birthday, and that will be cool (I love being at the yard), and that will probably be my only trip down this year outside of opening day.

Will be interesting to see what the deadline brings, and what the hell happens in the off-season. Right now I have very little confidence in Booby (thanks, Dirt…I LOVE that moniker).

3. djloo27 said, on June 14, 2017 at 7:51 am

I wonder when GMs really begin to talk trades in earnest. I’d like to know if every GM has every other GM’s number in his phone. Would be great to hear those conversations. You would think in this day and age a lot of that stuff would be more public…

• willedav said, on June 14, 2017 at 8:14 am

wonder where guys like Rosenthal and Heyman get their “inside” info from on guys potentially moving. For instance, everything I’ve seen says Cueto will opt out of his current deal to get a new one…how did this rumor get started/how much truth in it?

• chipower9 said, on June 14, 2017 at 8:31 am

Good question as to the source of the “insider” info. Regarding Cueto, he has said that he wants to finish his career in the American League, so you can sort of extrapolate from there that he will opt out and seek a deal with an AL team.

• Flavor said, on June 14, 2017 at 8:31 am

I just think it’s obvious that he’ll opt out. He can get more than 80 mil easily on his next deal. And he can have some say on where he plays.

4. willedav said, on June 14, 2017 at 8:21 am

Loo only guy I can think of with #14 is Banks. I thought Arias, but he was 13 with Giants.

5. unca_chuck said, on June 14, 2017 at 8:44 am

Willie, he said in an interview that he wanted to go back to the AL. He didn’t put a timetable on it, but since he’s in an opt-out situation right now, and we suck, he’ll likely get traded.

We stand to get nothing for him if he finishes here and opts out so we’ll get what we can for him.

6. dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 14, 2017 at 8:45 am

Yup, Cueto is a no brainer. If they think Shaw is close enough to ready Belt is too. I think he is gone regardless simply because outside of Cueto he’s really the only movable piece that would bring anything in return but I also question whether other teams want him. Nunez? Gone. This will allow them to bring up The Donger so they don’t risk losing him. Sure they may want him to show more but I think they like him well enough at either 1b or 3b on a failing club. Other than that you’ve got the BP. Gearrin is dead weight. I don’t want to say the dude sucks balls but I will say that he likes salty nutz. Kontos probably doesn’t return much but he’s not exactly the gem of the pen and can easily be replaced so maybe he fills out a contending BP. Strickland? He should get you something in return. Melancon? I think he’s got arm issues and nobody else will touch him.

• djloo27 said, on June 14, 2017 at 9:12 am

Gearrin is especially maddening not only because of how much time he takes between pitches but how every so often he looks absolutely unhittable. I guess a really good pitching coach would have straightened him out by now if it was possible to do so…

• chipower9 said, on June 14, 2017 at 9:37 am

Only hitch with Belt is he has a limited no-trade clause (10 teams). Cots does not list the teams.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 14, 2017 at 9:40 am

My understanding is that it kicks in next year.

7. unca_chuck said, on June 14, 2017 at 8:47 am

I think Dan Fouts for #14 . . .

8. djloo27 said, on June 14, 2017 at 9:03 am

Nice 14’s up above…

I guess it doesn’t matter but I calculate Cueto’s remaining guaranteed money to be $ 96 million after the trade deadline.

August & September 2017: $ 7 million
    2018 through 2021: $ 84 million
    Buyout of 2022 season: $ 5 million

I still think a pitcher his age with all those innings on his arm would be a greedy, gambling idiot to opt out of that deal but I’m sure his agent knows the game…

9. wilcojoe said, on June 14, 2017 at 9:11 am

Loo, in regards to when GM’s begin having trade discussions, that very question was asked of the Astros GM yesterday on one of the local sports talk stations. His answer, “as soon as the last draft pick is announced.”

10. xoot said, on June 14, 2017 at 9:25 am

anybody else hear Krukow on the radio this a.m.? He said MadBum’s recreational injury included damage not publicly reported, including broken ribs and punctured lungs. His use of the plurals was probably compulsive exaggeration (squat!) but who knows. Krukow also said he believes the horrible first half has its source in MadBum’s injury–he’s in the clubhouse but not on the 25, not leading the team with his competitive example, etc. What a crock of crap. MadBum’s injury didn’t fail to stock the pen or the OF.

• chipower9 said, on June 14, 2017 at 9:47 am

To say that MadBum’s injury is the reason for the team’s issues is ludicrous. It may be time for Krukow to hang ’em up. I put it on Booby Evans more than anyone else…he is the one who failed to adequately stock the team with ML talent. As I have said earlier today and numerous other times, I am not impressed with Evans.

11. dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 14, 2017 at 9:41 am

I didn’t hear Krukow’s interview this morning but I do think that Bumgarner going down is a big part of what sank the season. It would be interesting to hear what teammates really think.

• djloo27 said, on June 14, 2017 at 9:49 am

Not sure if it killed the season for the team, but it absolutely killed it for me…

12. wilcojoe said, on June 14, 2017 at 9:45 am

James would surely disagree with Kruk. Though I do too.

13. chipower9 said, on June 14, 2017 at 9:49 am

I am sure the MadBum situation had “some” impact on the team, but I sure as hell do not see it as the primary reason this team has stunk it up as badly has it has…

14. zumiee said, on June 14, 2017 at 10:10 am

5. Brandon Crawford (L) SS
    6. Hunter Pence (R) RF
    7. Joe Panik (L) 2B
    8. Austin Slater (R) LF
    9. Johnny Cueto (R) P

16. chipower9 said, on June 14, 2017 at 10:55 am

Holy shit…they are asking for haikus at my work:

(to all employees)

In celebration of WAPA’s 40th anniversary, Public Affairs is holding a challenge to find the best WAPA haiku.

Haiku is a short form of Japanese poetry that uses carefully worded phrases to capture an essence of a topic by creating a picture in the mind of the reader. It is written in three lines, with five syllables in the first line, seven syllables in the second line and five syllables in the third line. The haikus for this challenge need to be WAPA mission-related.

I am sure NONE of the submissions will challenge the almighty Flap haikus… 😉

17. alleykat69 said, on June 14, 2017 at 11:04 am

So I posted last night that Gearrin’s era was at 1.40 which I thought was WTF??
    But I also mentioned and Krukow to his credit that it’s all the runs he gives up to a starter are fellow BP guy will as it should effect his dumbass contract talks in the offseason !!
    Fuck if I’m a starter are reliever I’m bringing up his sorry ass in my contact talks as well, since he “JACKED” my era up big time…

• djloo27 said, on June 14, 2017 at 12:36 pm

Why not only bring him in to start an inning and see how that works out?
      Hopefully he wouldn’t have to pitch from the stretch position as much.
      When he sets at the belt it gives him too much time to think…

18. Irish Kevin said, on June 14, 2017 at 1:03 pm

Are the Giants going to lose 100 games this year??

• djloo27 said, on June 14, 2017 at 1:16 pm

19. unca_chuck said, on June 14, 2017 at 1:15 pm

Looks like it.

20. wilcojoe said, on June 14, 2017 at 1:27 pm

Way to help your trade value Cueto. Sheesh.

21. zumiee said, on June 14, 2017 at 1:27 pm

Hello, high draft picks next season!

• wilcojoe said, on June 14, 2017 at 1:33 pm

Just think Zum, when we buy our baseball preview magazines next spring the first page we will turn to is the “Top college and high school prospects” page.

• zumiee said, on June 14, 2017 at 1:59 pm

Yeah, if the Giants are going to be bad this season, then they might as well go into full tank-mode, and go for high draft position.

22. unca_chuck said, on June 14, 2017 at 1:35 pm

Jason Hammel, 2-6; 5.43 ERA. o/u is 3 hits.

23. chipower9 said, on June 14, 2017 at 1:55 pm

So much for Cueto being worth jack-shit on the trade market. I get back from a meeting and see that we are down 4-0…all the Royal runs compliments of HRs…

24. chipower9 said, on June 14, 2017 at 2:00 pm

I know the sampling (ML-level) is small, but damned, Slater may be a keeper.

25. unca_chuck said, on June 14, 2017 at 2:50 pm

He’s certainly better than anyone else trotted out there.

26. zumiee said, on June 14, 2017 at 3:56 pm

The Death Train rolls onward….

27. dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 14, 2017 at 4:05 pm

I don’t think this is the “getting on a roll” that Kuiper was referring to.

28. Macdog said, on June 14, 2017 at 4:26 pm

It can’t get much worse? Giants outscored 15-3 at home by the lowest-scoring team in the A.L., and now go to Coors for four games.

29. djloo27 said, on June 14, 2017 at 6:29 pm

Slater is another annoying, jittery honky in the batter’s box – a righty Parker. Stares at his bat like he’s not sure it’s really in his hands and then can’t hold it still for a half a second. Who the fuck is coaching these guys down there?

30. alleykat69 said, on June 14, 2017 at 6:33 pm

From the Natural or for sure the Giants..
    “We must begin by asking it..”What is losing?
    Losing is a disease..as contagious as syphilis.
    Losing is a disease..as contagious as bubonic plague..attacking one…but infecting all.But curable.”

31. djloo27 said, on June 14, 2017 at 6:48 pm

Cause out on the edge of darkness,
    There rides a death train…

32. djloo27 said, on June 14, 2017 at 7:23 pm

Even the Rooster has realized we’re not worth his stupid time…

• zumiee said, on June 14, 2017 at 7:38 pm

The Dodgers are in the midst of roughing up Andrew Miller.
      The Dodgers are on a fast-moving train heading the opposite direction from the Giants.

33. theroooster said, on June 14, 2017 at 8:55 pm

Miller came into yesterday’s game having not allowed a HR all season, sporting a 0.29 ERA.
    After pitching 2.1 innings over the past two games against the Dodgers he’s now given up 2 bombs and his ERA is up to 1.60. Oh, and he took the loss in BOTH games… Lmao

• zumiee said, on June 14, 2017 at 9:18 pm

Not a Miller fan, apparently.

34. zumiee said, on June 14, 2017 at 9:20 pm

Dave Fleming has the play by play for ESPN’s Yankees/Angels game tonight.
    Good game. The Yanks are fun to watch.

• theroooster said, on June 14, 2017 at 9:24 pm

Angels not fun to watch without Trout playing

35. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on June 14, 2017 at 9:23 pm

This may well be LA’s year, at long last. Maybe I won’t really care so much, considering how bad the Giants are, at least no heart-break in the making. But not sure I’ll want to see the Gloating Cock showing up here a lot if that happens…..

• theroooster said, on June 14, 2017 at 9:27 pm

You go all the way back to the “Gloating” days, Paul? You used to post on SF Gate way back then? What was that blog called again? I always forget.

• zumiee said, on June 14, 2017 at 9:33 pm

The Splash!

• zumiee said, on June 14, 2017 at 9:34 pm

I don’t think it exists anymore.

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on June 14, 2017 at 9:34 pm

Haha, yeah, way back, way back… It was called the Splash, but I was posting there before it was called the Splash, around 2000. But yes, I remember your posts. I think my user name was something like Paul Ball….. long time ago. Hope you’re enjoying your season in ways we remember fondly and miss this year….

• theroooster said, on June 14, 2017 at 9:39 pm

That’s it! Thanks Paul, appreciate it!

• djloo27 said, on June 14, 2017 at 9:39 pm

Yeah! Win one for the Rooster!
        He’s had a long wait…

• zumiee said, on June 14, 2017 at 9:39 pm

TF used to call the Rooster “Capon.” I had to look the word up; I’d never heard it before.

• zumiee said, on June 14, 2017 at 9:42 pm

Dictionary definition:
        A capon is a cockerel or rooster that has been castrated to improve the quality of its flesh for food.

36. djloo27 said, on June 14, 2017 at 9:43 pm

Twin also named him Gloating Rooster. I think he was originally “Giant Losers” or something like that…

• theroooster said, on June 14, 2017 at 9:46 pm

Hell of a memory, Loo – Giant Losers it was, back before they had won a single Title since moving west. Then twin said something about me coming around gloating like some friggin’ rooster or some such, made me change my name…

37. theroooster said, on June 14, 2017 at 9:44 pm

Yep, good old twin – what a character

38. theroooster said, on June 14, 2017 at 9:50 pm

Angels making me eat my words, zoom

• zumiee said, on June 14, 2017 at 9:54 pm

They’re playing hard; I’ll give them that. They’re giving the Yanks a game.

39. zumiee said, on June 14, 2017 at 9:51 pm

Teams go in cycles, and when the window is open you have to cash in.
    The Dodgers’ window is open; will they cash in? Their starting pitching is still the issue, IMO. It wouldn’t surprise me to see them going for one before the deadline.

• theroooster said, on June 14, 2017 at 10:04 pm

Yeah, they probably will. But I couldn’t disagree with you more regarding Greinke – Dodgers made the right choice not giving that guy more than they offered him. They offered him a ton of money, he took more to go to the Snakes and stunk it up there last season to prove the Dodgers made the right choice. He’s finally starting to pitch better, but, whatever – he wasn’t worth half the $$$ he made last season. Screw him.

• zumiee said, on June 14, 2017 at 10:10 pm

There will be some interesting starting pitchers available. I think Verlander is interesting, but I think I’m in the minority on that.

• theroooster said, on June 14, 2017 at 10:19 pm

Verlander not the same since Kate Upton “came” on his scene – would you be? Can’t really blame him. JEEZUS