Finding Reasons to Stay on The Death Train

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 15, 2017

Pffftttttt….. blown out 15-3 by a team that isn’t very good in our own park. I’m guessing a trip to Coors with Nibblin’ Matty is not the cure for this disease. How are the Rockies only -141 today? I would put them at -250, easily.

At this point in the season, we have to shift the focus for why we watch the games. Offense is obviously preferred but don’t hold your breath for that. I guess the bats could get going in Coors but they could just as easily stay silent. New honky’s could start coming up through the pipeline and that might be interesting but as long as the old honky’s stay healthy enough to play I don’t see too many young honky’s getting a chance. I guess we’ll see.

Warriors parade today. Not going. But looking forward to seeing some of it. That’s gotta offer more moments than getting blown out again in Colorado.

1. pawliekokonuts said, on June 15, 2017 at 6:23 am

I’m loyal and devoted to my Giants, but that’s lame lip service this year. I don’t watch or listen or read about them much. sorry, but it’s mostly: wake me when we get to the station as we ride this train. As painful as it might be, I say back the truck up and begin the overhaul.

2. Flavor said, on June 15, 2017 at 6:34 am

this is kinda cool

• pawliekokonuts said, on June 15, 2017 at 7:12 am

It’s very cool. I just wish it labeled each ballpark configuration. Good stuff. Last week, someone on Twitter had an aerial shot of the Polo Grounds and Yankee Stadium. They were within walking distance, separated by a river. I loved it.

3. pawliekokonuts said, on June 15, 2017 at 7:14 am

For some odd reason, I just checked in on BBOTD. Before breakfast. It’s been awhile.

• chipower9 said, on June 15, 2017 at 7:33 am

LOL…Breakfast in bed, Mr. Kokonuts? I took a stroll over to BBOTD the other day…Mmmm…mmmm…mmmm…

4. chipower9 said, on June 15, 2017 at 7:36 am

Hmmm…I am not even sure why the hell I continue to watch the games at this point. And like Pawlie, I am not watching, listening, or reading much. I am anxious for the trade deadline, as this should shed some light (hopefully) on the direction the team will take to try and fix this clusterfuck. Could not get the ballpark piece to play (probably firewall reasons from here at work – will bust out the iPad and take a look later). The differences in ballparks is one of the unique things I love about the game of baseball.

5. Flavor said, on June 15, 2017 at 7:37 am

I haven’t been to the BBOTD in a while. Might fire it up again to keep things *interesting*. But really, the best link is the BBOTD–POTD. Those are rock solid gold

6. dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 15, 2017 at 7:53 am

Of course I will still watch the games but it is definitely hard to muster the same enthusiasm when the same old honkys are sucking it up all over the place. Having young guys to evaluate, even as a fan, makes a losing team more interesting to follow. Slater has been okay so far. Once they bring up The Donger we’ll know it’s a new day in honky town.

• Flavor said, on June 15, 2017 at 7:55 am

yeah. I mostly still watch unless it’s a night game during the week. I hit the sack pretty early on those days. But I’ll have the game on in the background pretty much any time I’m home and awake. I almost prefer the radio at this point since Miller and Flemm are much more likely to call out a Giant player for fucking up than K/K are (excluding Belt)
      Dirt I’m playing poker in the new poker room at the SL in Reno from July 2-10th. If you are up there, let’s get a beer.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 15, 2017 at 8:09 am

I’ve got a house rented up in Incline June 30 – July 7. I’ll probably head down to Reno to check on my place so let me circle back on that. You love that seedy downtown area of Reno, huh? lulz. When I lived up there I came downtown maybe a 5 times in 10 years and that was usually for company holiday parties. I would typically game at the Atlantis or Pepper Mill.

• pawliekokonuts said, on June 15, 2017 at 8:13 am

my only time in Reno: 1974: did laundry, got drunk, played blackjack, lost money [so drunk that I’d ask for a hit with, like, 17 showing, which does not make friends at the table]

• Flavor said, on June 15, 2017 at 8:53 am

I started playing poker at the ElDo poker room 20 years ago and never found a more preferred place to play. That’s really all I do downtown–don’t play any table games, occasionally video poker if I’m at a bar. My buddy has a big house west of Reno and up the hill so I don’t stay downtown.
        Sadly, my poker room has closed. 😦 But all my friends who live and play up there say the SL poker room is great. So, “out with the old, in with the new”. And that’s where you’ll find me for that week….

7. pawliekokonuts said, on June 15, 2017 at 8:03 am

as we’ve talked about here, in many ways baseball is typically better on radio than TV

anyone hear from Twinfan?

also, good news: my mom is being moved from ‘continuing care’ [there’s a euphemism for you] to a short-term rehab unit; this is a positive development

• wilcojoe said, on June 15, 2017 at 8:36 am

Glad to hear she is doing better Paul.

• chipower9 said, on June 15, 2017 at 9:39 am

Good news on your mom, Pawlie. Hope she continues to get better.

I have not heard from, or seen Twin post here, in a couple of months.

8. dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 15, 2017 at 8:06 am

For me, Miller is almost more fun to listen to when the team is going bad like this because all of his stories really come out. He’s a very unique and funny guy. Flemm….eh. I know a lot of guys here like him and he’s a pro all around but just something about him leaves me wondering if he even likes baseball. I don’t know, maybe I just like a little more homer in my game call.

I read somewhere that Arroyo took one off the hand yesterday and was removed from the game.

9. willedav said, on June 15, 2017 at 8:14 am

over 90 HRs hit in last 2 days across all baseball, except for Giants. As I think Mac pointed out, KC had been one of worst offensive teams before pounding out 31 hits in 2 days at ATT plus 3 bombs off Cueto.

So that’s a couple more bad outings from Showcase Johnny. Belt’s at .229…if you trade Nunez, who else hits?

I’d heard Gameface about to come off rehab in Sac and a position player would go. Always liked this guy but he’s another one who got off to terrible start.

15 games under .500. If they played .500 ball over last 95 games that still equals almost 90 losses. Hard to watch, definitely…cue the guy in Airplane…”bad day to have given up…”

10. eddacker said, on June 15, 2017 at 8:15 am

Good news Mr. Kokonuts.

And after that here is a collective sigh for all dedicated fans in and out of this blog. The 100 loss season was not as painful (the whole season) as these 65 games have been. Some bright spots(?), but mostly dread from the OF, 1st base heroism, BP and all offensive support for the staff. I did love seeing the ball dude’s glove yesterday but that is not much to hang your hat on.

Peace and rocking in the USA.

11. wilcojoe said, on June 15, 2017 at 8:32 am

Yeah Dirt, I was listening to some of the audio feed yesterday and there was a pretty funny moment right before commercial break. Miller said something like “Kuip will be back to call the 4th and 5th as I head to TV. David B. Fleming is on assignment. On assignment where you ask? How would I know. I am not his secretary.”

12. dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 15, 2017 at 9:07 am

I hear ya, Flav. I’ve played some poker at house games and done well but haven’t played in a casino before. I’ve played in some backgammon tournaments and placed in the money but I typically play blackjack or craps. The Atlantis used to have a $1.00 craps table, which is really practically unheard of, so I would play there. They went through some remodeling activity a couple of years ago and probably did away with it. Sad!

13. snarkk said, on June 15, 2017 at 9:18 am

They keep getting blown out and playing sad sack ball, you Must question what is going on with management. Bochy and crew can’t skate on their role in a team this bad across the board. Management’s main role at this level is motivation, and direction. I posit that Bochy has been there so long he is being tuned out. Haven’t seen anything on that, but it will probably come, even with this crew of homer scribes, if the death train keeps on this roll…

• willedav said, on June 15, 2017 at 10:46 am

snarkk I don’t think it’s Bochy. Vets in clubhouse, led by Posey, know what they are hitting and what their record is. The guys that suck—Pence Belt Panik Craw Span and most of pitching staff not named Smardz or Blach—aren’t new kids on the block. these guys know the drill.

I read Bochy told them all to relax not grip and try to hit 8 run HR and remind them they are better players and have shown that. It’s a pretty stay positive message; he’s just not a flip the spread guy and I like that. But he doesn’t have a bat in his hands and imo can only do so much given what he has.
      Totally understand your frustration tho and maybe a different message-(put up or bye bye) will be sent.

14. alleykat69 said, on June 15, 2017 at 9:25 am

That “Assignment ” always cracks me up!
    These guys are either with their families are drinking wine& beer probably both..
    No reason to go on assignment looking over a honky prospect in Georgia…

• zumiee said, on June 15, 2017 at 9:30 am

With Fleming, though, it usually means he’s doing something for ESPN. Last night he called the Yankees/ Angels game.

15. chipower9 said, on June 15, 2017 at 9:43 am

Damn – you hate to see anything rain on the Warriors parade, but I just read where Jerry West is heading to the Clippers. He had a big role in getting Durant to come to Golden State. Talk is West will try to make a similar play with LeBron and convince him to come to la la land…

• Flavor said, on June 15, 2017 at 10:18 am

Lebron isn’t going anywhere just because of what West says. Lebron does his own shit. He’s got a production company in LA, so that’s probably where he’ll end up after another year in Cle. Whatever, spend his golden years in LA, who cares. Nobody can touch this Warrior machine if they keep building this way…..

• willedav said, on June 15, 2017 at 10:37 am

that does suck, he’s a genius b-ball mind. I was hoping if Clips got broken up GS would have a shot at DeAndre Jordan, only guy I’d take off that entire team. Plus his commercials are funny.
      I’m sick of reading/hearing about Warriors honestly, and I love them–3 more columns today on front page of sporting green. Couple more years/titles before the word “dynasty” can be tossed around, imo

16. alleykat69 said, on June 15, 2017 at 10:25 am

West will probably have a coronary working with that bunch of dysfunctional players!

17. unca_chuck said, on June 15, 2017 at 10:39 am

Bron Bron is not going to the clips. It’s Lakers or Lakers. The flakers will draft Lonzo Ball and wait on Bron Bron.

18. Flavor said, on June 15, 2017 at 10:41 am

I want Lebron to go somewhere else, anywhere else, just to watch those girl fans in Cleveland have another meltdown……

19. sandog said, on June 15, 2017 at 11:33 am

Dirt- back in the day, the Gold Coast in Las Vegas aka “The Cold Ghost” had a $1 craps table where I spent many an hour with friends rolling the bones.
    Also played craps at The Barbary Coast (sister casino of Gold Coast, right on the strip) on the same table as Chuck Norris one time.
    Willie–you might remember a tall white guy named Gary Gray who played center at Santa Barbara back in the 90’s. He was not very athletic, but could shoot a little bit and had an odd penchant for playing well against those awesome UNLV teams in the 90’s. I shot craps with him in Lake Tahoe years ago.

I’m fired up for tonight’s game. Its baseball season and the Giants are my team and I will watch/listen whenever I can. I watched as much of the NBA playoffs as I did of the Summer Olympics, and that worked well for me. I still can’t stand the Warriors, but congrats to all of you on the championship. Bringing in Durant obviously put them on a whole other level.

• djloo27 said, on June 15, 2017 at 1:17 pm

SD: Barbary Coast was my lucky joint for blackjack mid-late 1980’s.
      They also had the best Chinese Restaurant in LV on the premises back then…

20. zumiee said, on June 15, 2017 at 11:46 am

Having read his autobiography….
    Jerry West is a very complex dude. It’s not a surprise that he would move on now. I’m sure in his mind, his work is done now with the Warriors. They will roll on very well. He wants a new challenge, plus a chance to have more time in his homebase, L.A, I’m guessing.
    West, in his mind, always needs a new challenge, a new mountain to climb, to keep proving his worth to himself. He’s a brutally insecure guy, who has, at the same time, achieved enormous success in the NBA over his 50+ years involved as a player, coach, and in the front office. He has said he has a hard time just enjoying his success.
    Even at 79 years old, he continues to be a restless, insecure soul, driven by inner forces he himself has said he doesn’t understand. Some of it is from coming out of hardscrabble West Virginia, and always wanting to prove himself to….everyone. With his gifts and talents, basketball became his way forward- his way to try to achieve the happiness that always stays just beyond his grasp.
    He is a worthy person to be the logo of the NBA. He’s given his life to the league. Basketball is definitely more than a game to him.

• djloo27 said, on June 15, 2017 at 1:15 pm

Horrifying moment in my life although Knicks did win in OT. Obviously woulda been game winning 3 pointer today.
      Fun Fact: Chamberlain did not inbound the ball legally…

21. dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 15, 2017 at 12:22 pm

Sandawg, how does Chuck Norris play craps? Don’t the dice just dissolve in his hands on contact?

I played with Lou Diamond Phillips one time. I was pretty bombed and am told that at one point I was on a strong run and singing La Bamba. I don’t remember that but supposedly he took it all in good fun.

22. pawliekokonuts said, on June 15, 2017 at 3:04 pm

Mystery: Is Schulman reading the Flap or did Magnus get inspired by Schulman? As for the death train motif, check out Schulman’s lead:

“So, where does a train go when it’s already off the rails? Careening down an embankment until it settles into the bank below, wheels up?

What then happens to the carcass of the once-powerful locomotive? Can it get buried in the silt deep enough that nobody can see it anymore, or care to salvage it?”

• djloo27 said, on June 15, 2017 at 4:04 pm

• pawliekokonuts said, on June 15, 2017 at 4:14 pm

Gee, does MLB market those for each team?

• djloo27 said, on June 15, 2017 at 4:39 pm

As Krukow can’t stop saying: “I want it, I want it, I want it!”

23. Flavor said, on June 15, 2017 at 4:44 pm

I can’t even imagine being buried in a casket. Everyone in my family is incinerated. No chance of waking up.

• zumiee said, on June 15, 2017 at 5:19 pm

When a person is embalmed for burial, their blood is removed and replaced with a chemical preservative. They ain’t waking up.

• zumiee said, on June 15, 2017 at 5:26 pm

Having said that, cremation seems more natural and better for the environment. And costs way less, too. Burials can cost easily $5,000-$10,000 nowadays. It’s big business, sad to say.
        But it’s comforting to a lot of people to have a regular burial instead of cremation.

• Flavor said, on June 15, 2017 at 5:40 pm

I think you’ve missed several movies my man. Several. I remember a twighlight zone show from the 80’s that first tripped me out about being buried alive.

24. xoot said, on June 15, 2017 at 5:11 pm

25. djloo27 said, on June 15, 2017 at 5:19 pm

1. Denard Span (L) CF
    2. Eduardo Nunez (R) 3B
    3. Brandon Belt (L) 1B
    4. Buster Posey (R) C
    5. Hunter Pence (R) RF
    6. Brandon Crawford (L) SS
    7. Joe Panik (L) 2B
    8. Austin Slater (R) LF
    9. Matt Moore (L) P

26. zumiee said, on June 15, 2017 at 5:22 pm

Loo, thanks for posting the West video clip. That’s the clearest footage of that shot I’ve ever seen.

• djloo27 said, on June 15, 2017 at 5:30 pm

Glad you liked it. Did you notice Wilt was not out completely out of bounds when he made the inbound pass?

• zumiee said, on June 15, 2017 at 6:34 pm

Yeah, it would be interesting to know the exact rule on that. I’ve always thought two feet have to be out.

• zumiee said, on June 15, 2017 at 6:52 pm

Of course, NBA refs miss a lot of stuff. Always have.

• djloo27 said, on June 15, 2017 at 7:11 pm

After a score, field goal or free throw, the latter coming as the result of a personal foul, any player of the team not credited with the score shall put the ball into play from any point out-of-bounds at the endline of the court where the point(s) were scored. He may pass the ball to a teammate behind the endline; however, the five-second throw-in rule applies.

27. sandog said, on June 15, 2017 at 5:59 pm

Nice start to this one.

28. Flavor said, on June 15, 2017 at 6:34 pm

Did they start this game on time? They aren’t thru the 2nd inning and they’re just about an hour into the game?

• djloo27 said, on June 15, 2017 at 6:59 pm

They call me the Nibbler
      Yeah, the Nibbler
      I pitch around, around, around, around…

29. zumiee said, on June 15, 2017 at 6:53 pm

The Giants are not awesome this year.

30. Macdog said, on June 15, 2017 at 7:11 pm

If nothing else, I hope this (and the rest of the weekend) pisses off Dodgers fans.

• djloo27 said, on June 15, 2017 at 7:18 pm

I wouldn’t even care if LA won it all. The rivalry is in a dead stage.
      At my age, I feel more for the loyal fans who’ve never seen a title…

• Macdog said, on June 15, 2017 at 7:40 pm

I’m that way for certain teams, like Cubs or Indians, but not for hated rivals.

31. Macdog said, on June 15, 2017 at 7:24 pm

Underway in Oakland, the only time I ever root for the A’s.

32. Bozo said, on June 15, 2017 at 7:33 pm

I can’t believe that I was so wrong about this team. I’m not throwing in the towel yet, but damn man, this is getting tough.

33. djloo27 said, on June 15, 2017 at 7:55 pm

So much for my suggestion of having Gearrin start an inning…

• alleykat69 said, on June 15, 2017 at 8:05 pm

I would start Rags over Gearrin to start an inning!!

• willedav said, on June 15, 2017 at 8:15 pm

well he was back in the stretch soon enough…with predictable results.

34. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on June 15, 2017 at 8:03 pm

I will never “throw in the towel” on the Giants, overall. But I have definitely thrown in every towel I own, plus a pile of dirty rags, on this particular *team* as currently constructed….

35. willedav said, on June 15, 2017 at 8:13 pm

2 run bomb from Posey. Nunez hit was first for top 3 in order, 1-12.
    Rox as Flem had pointed out before last inning, now are 9-11.
    And now posey limping down the runway. Him and Nunez about 90% of the offense.

36. willedav said, on June 15, 2017 at 8:16 pm

Not talking about just this game, but wtf has got into the Sherps? Only thing I’ve paid attention to is how they are doing on the road, even better than at home.
    Is it just difference btw Bud Black and Walt Weiss?

• willedav said, on June 15, 2017 at 8:29 pm

how well they are doing on the road, 25-13. ?

37. willedav said, on June 15, 2017 at 8:32 pm

Looked like Wilt didn’t have both feet out of bounds, failure to establish position I guess like when you come in from out of bounds you have to have both feet in before you can touch the ball.

38. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on June 15, 2017 at 8:41 pm

Anyone have any theories about why Hwang is the forgotten man, despite everyone else being brought up and sucking?

39. xoot said, on June 15, 2017 at 8:45 pm

Looked to me like Posey was limping in the dugout in a way suggesting his left ankle was hurt, by the swing. If so isn’t that a bit ominous?

40. willedav said, on June 15, 2017 at 8:47 pm

blach that was f-ing hot, clean base hit rbi. Guess a game in Katmandu is never really out of reach.

41. Macdog said, on June 15, 2017 at 8:50 pm

Not sure what’s crazier: Blach pinch-hitting or Rox bringing in reliever to pitch to him — and now Blach RBI single.

42. blade3colorado said, on June 15, 2017 at 8:51 pm

It’s going to get worse for the Giants when they leave Coors. Why? Simply because their already piss poor hitting will have to adjust to sea level again, where curves, sliders, split finger fast balls, etc., will have more “bite.”

Choo Choo . . .

43. sandog said, on June 15, 2017 at 8:54 pm

unbelievable

44. djloo27 said, on June 15, 2017 at 8:54 pm

If only it mattered…

45. willedav said, on June 15, 2017 at 8:54 pm

BOOM! I got your 95 right here.

46. djloo27 said, on June 15, 2017 at 9:24 pm

Slater winning anybody over yet?

• snarkk said, on June 15, 2017 at 9:29 pm

He won me over after his first MLB hit…

• Lurker John said, on June 15, 2017 at 9:42 pm

.405 BA and an 1.100 OPS. For now, yeah. He’s hot as fuck.

• willedav said, on June 15, 2017 at 10:05 pm

like to see if he could play CF, allowing them to dump Hernandez. But yeah small sample size uses RF a lot.

47. snarkk said, on June 15, 2017 at 9:29 pm

Span could be a worse baserunner than Belt. The dude is always screwing up on the bases. Doofus just ran the team out of a chance to take the lead into the bottom 9th. I wonder if Nevin reminded him to break quickly on a passed ball; one of the few jobs a third base coach has…

• Macdog said, on June 15, 2017 at 9:31 pm

No way I blame Span for trying to score there with Smardzj batting.

• snarkk said, on June 15, 2017 at 9:48 pm

Not blaming him for trying; blaming him for the stop/start that doomed the attempt. Giants announcers were on his ass…

• Macdog said, on June 15, 2017 at 9:51 pm

Ah, now that’s another matter, haha. I had the sound off.

• snarkk said, on June 15, 2017 at 9:54 pm

Mac, I was listening on radio, so not sure what the TV guys said about it…

48. Macdog said, on June 15, 2017 at 9:40 pm

Suckland.

49. djloo27 said, on June 15, 2017 at 9:42 pm

• snarkk said, on June 15, 2017 at 10:01 pm

Sheezus, that is scary stuff. Looks like a Euro ICE train or in Japan. That sucker had to be rolling at way way over 100 mph…

50. blade3colorado said, on June 15, 2017 at 9:43 pm

Pfffttt!

51. zumiee said, on June 15, 2017 at 9:46 pm

We’re better than the Phillies! (Except when we play them.)

52. snarkk said, on June 15, 2017 at 9:51 pm

Great comeback.
    Followed by the predictable suckage Pen work to immediately lose the game.
    Oh well. At least they scored some runs!
    I started to listen to the game when I got in my car, turned on radio, and Flemm was saying: “Now, they’re only down 9-4”. I was thinking — has it come to this that down by 5 is a positive? Good comeback after that…

• blade3colorado said, on June 15, 2017 at 9:58 pm

Coors can be cruel – to both the visiting team and home team. I actually am giving a pass to Moore and Strickland. Moon ball isn’t baseball in my opinion

• zumiee said, on June 15, 2017 at 9:58 pm

I heard the last part of the game on a car radio. I was at a movie tonight. “Wakefield,” starring Bryan Cranston. Not a great film, but his acting performance was interesting to watch.

• djloo27 said, on June 15, 2017 at 11:04 pm

It’s about time they made a movie about him:

53. mrsprtdude said, on June 15, 2017 at 9:58 pm

A come back is always good. loosing 10-9 is better than 8-1 which was the last score i saw. The take home is good teams find a way to win, and we don’t. If this was the other way around and SF blows an 8-1 lead we lose. Guaranteed. A bummer to know we are not good enough to beat a good team. 1st time i’ve had that feeling since 2009 or so…

• willedav said, on June 15, 2017 at 10:10 pm

yeah especially since couple of the heroes were Blach and Hernandez at the plate. Craw bomb was a rocket second one of night with guys on base.
      Now see what’s up with the wounded.

54. blade3colorado said, on June 15, 2017 at 10:06 pm

That train wreck was in Spain snarkk.

• snarkk said, on June 15, 2017 at 10:09 pm

Ok, thanks. Looked like an ICE type German train, but definitely a high speed intercity. Dude took that curve way too fast. That looked like a lotta people must have been killed. And, here I am fretting about a damn baseball game…

55. Macdog said, on June 15, 2017 at 10:54 pm

Casilla blown save vs. Yanks but keeps it tied.

56. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on June 15, 2017 at 11:13 pm

On the 14th, the Giants were 14 out and 14 under .500. On the 15th, 15 out. Now it’s the 16th, 16 out. By this reasoning, they’ll be 30 out by the end of the month. But then it will be July 1st, so by this reasoning, will they suddenly move up to 1 game out? …. No getting a re-do on the season, I’m afraid….

57. djloo27 said, on June 15, 2017 at 11:14 pm

Do they leave Slater where he is – or has he earned a promotion in the order?

• alleykat69 said, on June 16, 2017 at 6:15 am

At this point of the season the players should just make out the LU card.