Losing In Nepal

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 17, 2017

The final score of these games in this god forsaken nonsensical place has been relatively close but I expect that to end today. There is no reasonable theory that Matt Cain WON’T get blasted today. I’m guessing the 20 runs scored against us has Bochy seeing double anyway and this feels like a give-a-way game.

There are 2 explanations for why Pence has looked incompetent in right field and the one where he’s pussy whipped himself into a frenzied pretzel has been the prevailing one. But it’s also possible he’s still hurt. He’s playing the outfield like it’s the first time he’s ever been out there. It hasn’t just been a game or two, it’s been since he came back.  If he’s hurt I guess I appreciate him running out there and trying to play but at this point it might be time to stop soldiering through this wasted season and let one of the young honky’s get their shot……

1. willedav said, on June 17, 2017 at 6:49 am

hard to believe anemic Giants offense could explode for 17 runs, 6 HRs and bunch of doubles triples, even from pitchers, and they still can’t win a ballgame. Entertaining, but…just seems like every walk or play not made by defense winds up hurting them and crossing the plate for another run.

• Flavor said, on June 17, 2017 at 6:58 am

is it really that hard to believe? Anywhere else I would say *yes* but they are playing in a joke-park. At least they are being competitive. Not sure how they stay competitive today but this could be one of those games where it goes completely opposite of how it looks on paper.

• blade3colorado said, on June 17, 2017 at 7:03 am

What you said.

• willedav said, on June 17, 2017 at 8:06 am

but the Giants are doing just as much damage at the plate as Rocks are whereas at sea level they’re awful, and the Sherps aren’t.

• willedav said, on June 17, 2017 at 8:05 am

agreed. watching Gorks crack one over Blackmon’s head, I mean he’s never hit a ball that far in 2 months+.

• djloo27 said, on June 17, 2017 at 8:12 am

Smardj’s shot was Piazza-like…

2. blade3colorado said, on June 17, 2017 at 7:08 am

Like I said the other day, playing “Moon” 🌒 ball ultimately will mess with their normal swings when they return to sea level. Not that it matters much with our anemic line up. Carry on.

3. djloo27 said, on June 17, 2017 at 8:19 am

Arenado’s numbers against the Giants the past few years are almost not believable as is the fact that they continue to pitch to him…

4. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on June 17, 2017 at 8:23 am

Pence… it’s possible he was never really all that great to begin with. When he came here in 2012, I don’t really remember him carrying the team offensively, all I remember is his pep talks in the post-season, which were great, by the way, he enthused and kept the team together with energy. Streaky at best, although his hot streaks were very productive. And “Pence at the Fence” was tremendous. At this point….. thankful for 2012. He was whacky to begin with, appreciatively so, but he’s done.

• djloo27 said, on June 17, 2017 at 8:30 am

Agree, Paul. He played a huge part in 2 championships and always gives it everything. I guess his body just gave out, at least as far as being a really good everyday player. It’s probably silly to blame his downfall on Lexi.
      Right?

• Flavor said, on June 17, 2017 at 8:31 am

She certainly hasn’t done anything to slow his quick slide.

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on June 17, 2017 at 8:32 am

I don’t know, when I’ve got stuff going on with the equivalent of a Lexi over here (and Le Xi is a good Chinese name for a girl), I tend to think I’m more productive…. but maybe I’m really not….

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on June 17, 2017 at 8:33 am

And in Chinese, Le Xi is pronounced “lay she”, so….. there’s that… .

5. Flavor said, on June 17, 2017 at 8:33 am

I’ll tell ya something else: Pence and his new bride are NOTHING compared to Beede and his fiance on twitter and instagram. Maybe I’m just too old to understand living out your currently relationship in pictures that you plaster all over the internet, but to me it shows a lack of focus. I get it, she’s hot as fuck and everyone should be allowed balance in their life. But it just seems constant and if I was trying to make it to the big leagues I think my focus wouldn’t be so much on how hot my girlfriend is.

• PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on June 17, 2017 at 8:38 am

Displaying one’s entire personal life on social media is understandable, “hey, look at me! and my hot gf”, but yeah, it shows a lack of focus and lack of priorities. At least for an old luddite like me. Hey, I’m cool with showing me on FB with a glass of good bourbon or a hot babe on the beach, but it ain’t what I’m focused on. Um… most of the time…

• djloo27 said, on June 17, 2017 at 8:56 am

I wonder how much I’d be putting out there if I was a young person…

6. willedav said, on June 17, 2017 at 8:39 am

there’s so much fail in baseball especially for a hitter. You have to be able to leave the game at the yard, any sport and take your mind off it.
    Nunez supposed to be OK to PH and maybe start vs. ATL.
    The ATL sprinter guy who gives challengers a 200 ft head start as he races them across the OF, lost last night.
    So far that yard is playing in hitters favor, so hopefully Giants can regroup once they leave.

7. Macdog said, on June 17, 2017 at 8:47 am

Runs allowed this week: 8, 8, 7, 10, 10. And the first three were at home.

• djloo27 said, on June 17, 2017 at 8:54 am

That’s 2 pairs. I’ll take one card…

8. alleykat69 said, on June 17, 2017 at 9:03 am

Blackmon 53 RBI’s as a lead off hitter.
    Crawford are team leader with 29 and he bats 4-6 that tells you had pathetic this season has gone….

9. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on June 17, 2017 at 9:15 am

In the lead up to this season, most Flappers seemed to be ok with the team doing small ball, the f-ing conga line, whatever. I was pushing for more homeruns. Neither has happened. And that’s your Giants replay.

10. dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 17, 2017 at 10:12 am

I was in the yard for Pence’s Yes, Yes speech but his rah-rah act wore thin with me a while ago. The idea that he was never really that good is a bit much. From the time that he showed up with his WWE style entrance he’s been one of the club’s top contributors and best players other than Posey. Look at his splits for the summer of 2014. I’d say he carried the club well enough. The .907 OPS in August in particular was pretty strong. He’s seems to have aged over night but it’s really been an ongoing decline and hey, it happens to the best of us. Last night was rough to see.

• djloo27 said, on June 17, 2017 at 10:21 am

I think all acts wear thin eventually.
      I’ve been tired of mine for years…

11. zumiee said, on June 17, 2017 at 10:40 am

Pence definitely has had some magical big moments for the Giants. The 3 biggest off the top of my head are the “3-hit broken-bat swing vs. the Cards in the ’12 NLCS,” “Pence on the Fence,” and “HR in the first inning in ’14 World Series.”

12. zumiee said, on June 17, 2017 at 10:44 am

Blaming Pence’s problems on Lexi has always seemed ridiculous to me.
    He played hard, he had a great career, and his body is breaking down. It happens.

13. zumiee said, on June 17, 2017 at 10:53 am

By the way, Kaepernick was proved correct again yesterday.
    It’s why black people always appreciated what he did. He’ll pay the price in NFL employment, but there’s often a price to be paid with boycotts.
    I wasn’t fully onboard with his boycott, but he felt he needed to do it, and black people appreciated it.

14. djloo27 said, on June 17, 2017 at 11:20 am

Slater gets a promotion:

1. Kelby Tomlinson (R) SS
    2. Joe Panik (L) 2B
    3. Hunter Pence (R) RF
    4. Buster Posey (R) 1B
    5. Austin Slater (R) LF
    6. Nick Hundley (R) C
    7. Aaron Hill (R) 3B
    8. Gorkys Hernandez (R) CF
    9. Matt Cain (R) P

15. wilcojoe said, on June 17, 2017 at 11:29 am

Pence should listen to what the great golf coach Butch Harmon recently told Rickie Fowler in regards to all of his social media bullshit. “Do you want to be a Kardashain or a professional golfer?”

• Flavor said, on June 17, 2017 at 11:54 am

someone should tell Rory that….

16. Flavor said, on June 17, 2017 at 12:25 pm

Slater in full-Honky mode in that at bat. Twitchy as fuck, a couple of half swings, ultimately striking out swinging.

• zumiee said, on June 17, 2017 at 12:42 pm

Never go full-honky.

17. alleykat69 said, on June 17, 2017 at 1:05 pm

Unless your Clint Eastwood in Honkytonk man..

• wilcojoe said, on June 17, 2017 at 1:18 pm

Great, underappreciated movie

• zumiee said, on June 17, 2017 at 1:29 pm

I haven’t seen it; I missed it somehow.

18. zumiee said, on June 17, 2017 at 2:06 pm

Belt vs. a fastball high in the zone. It seldom goes well.

19. zumiee said, on June 17, 2017 at 2:16 pm

Pitching to Arenado. It seldom goes well.

20. zumiee said, on June 17, 2017 at 2:40 pm

2017 Giants. It seldom goes well.

21. Flavor said, on June 17, 2017 at 2:41 pm

Pence is good comedy in RF these days.

• djloo27 said, on June 17, 2017 at 2:50 pm

He looks like the worst player on a little league team who they’re trying to hide in RF…

22. Macdog said, on June 17, 2017 at 2:46 pm

There’s a good chance the Giants are going 0 for Coors this season.

23. Flavor said, on June 17, 2017 at 2:48 pm

Andrew Baggarly‏Verified account @extrabaggs 43m
    You watch Brandon Belt have a series like this, and you think maybe it’s not all AT&T Park’s fault.

24. djloo27 said, on June 17, 2017 at 2:52 pm

After today’s loss the pace will be 60-102.
    And that’s before they start unloading at the deadline…

• alleykat69 said, on June 17, 2017 at 5:01 pm

60-102…Kinda like the numbers of a anemic persons blood pressure..That’s it,the Giants don’t have a pulse as a team their all turning anerxious in front of our eyes…

25. snarkk said, on June 17, 2017 at 5:01 pm

Baggs’ game story asking the same questions I and others have been asking for weeks. What is the purpose of dudes like Gorkys, Hill, Cain, name more, continuing to play in a lost season — when there are young farmhands available to play? Slater has shown initially that a dude maybe thought as not ready comes up and shows that he is, at least for a while. Baggs asks essentially how do you blow this dumpster fire up, and make something of this season? He even questioned on today’s Lurie show whether next year any of the outfielders on the roster at the moment, except Slater, should be on the roster. I say no, this outfield has to be blown up, it is horrible…

26. alleykat69 said, on June 17, 2017 at 5:09 pm

Name more Snarkk?
    Gearrin,Dyson,Hundley
    Complete Suckage.
    Whatever happened to Trevor Brown?
    Could easily be better then “No Hot Rod Hundley”

• snarkk said, on June 17, 2017 at 5:12 pm

Yeah, Kat. I’ve said several weeks ago Brown is a better hitter than Hundley. He came over because he’s Melancon’s bud, but Melancon is as useful as teats on a boar, now…

• djloo27 said, on June 17, 2017 at 5:33 pm

There’s always some kind of use for teats, I would think…

• alleykat69 said, on June 17, 2017 at 5:42 pm

Agree Loo,
        If you squeeze teats just right you can get milk for your cereal..

27. alleykat69 said, on June 17, 2017 at 5:39 pm

Yeah Snarkk,
    We have the only closer in the league that goes on the DL for under usage!
    And when he does come in to dazzle us, he fizzles.This team has nothing going for it,and it starts at the top knowing ( well atleast Flappers knew)they had to retool the Outfield as much as the Pen and they stopped shopping after Melancon like that’s all we needed??
    Old team,Old Ideas,that have no clue now how to dump guys without eating their contracts, cause most teams won’t take are rubbish in any reasonable trade offer..

• djloo27 said, on June 17, 2017 at 5:44 pm

If today was the deadline, I would say only Nunie & Panik would generate real interest…

28. djloo27 said, on June 17, 2017 at 5:40 pm

With the Giants being so awful, the things that normally annoy me a little become 100 times worse, like announcers (home & away), fan shots, idiotic special day uniforms with stupid socks and caps, too many homers, not enough homers, slow pitchers, jittery, twitchy hitters, long beards (especially red) and on and on.
    I need to take the summer off…

• theroooster said, on June 17, 2017 at 5:55 pm

Nah Loo – so the Gints having a down year, no big deal – ya got 3 recent ones in the bank. Find other teams to appreciate. The Astros are a GREAT story, I really dig that team. Yankees with Judge if you can get past that they are the Yankees. And how ’bout that Cody Bellinger kid?
      .262 .337 OBP .971 OPS 19 HR’s 43 RBI’s in 49 Games! All-star and ROY!

• djloo27 said, on June 17, 2017 at 6:08 pm

I’ll still have to deal with inane video replay delays and the same commercials over and over…

29. zumiee said, on June 17, 2017 at 5:48 pm

Dodgers demolished the Reds today. Bellinger hit another HR, Puig hit 2.
    You could make a case for 5 or 6 Dodgers making the All-Star team.
    Can the Rockies keep pace with them? Could be like the Giants/Braves in’93, but with the advantage of a Wild Card for the runner-up, of course.

30. zumiee said, on June 17, 2017 at 5:53 pm

The Giants are a staggering 17.5 games behind the Wild Card now.

31. Macdog said, on June 17, 2017 at 6:36 pm

Aw man, Flounder died.

32. snarkk said, on June 17, 2017 at 7:06 pm

A bad team like the Giants loses at home, on the road, in close games, in blowouts, and in slugfests where they score plenty, but still not enough. Pretty much they suck in all facets of the game, hence lose in every way imaginable. The OF defense and offense is bad, starting pitching is spotty, Pen is either decent or atrocious — rarely good, they can’t hit home runs outside of Coors, they make baserunning errors a lot, and the entire lineup can’t hit. The wheels have just flat come off now for the equivalent of a full season. I see no reason to continue this as is. Blow it up every which way, with the guiding principle being to acquire major league prospects, not PTBNL-quality nobodies…

• Flavor said, on June 17, 2017 at 7:29 pm

I’m actually weirdly interested in following how Baer handles this “sellout” streak for the rest of the year……

• willedav said, on June 17, 2017 at 7:40 pm

what was the technicality again that allows them to call it a sellout, regardless of how many fans are actually in the seats or not?
        wonder if any of your esteemed colleagues will mention empty seats?

• djloo27 said, on June 17, 2017 at 8:59 pm

They’re not gonna be able to phony that up much longer…

• zumiee said, on June 17, 2017 at 7:32 pm

Not the entire lineup.
      Posey has shown up, .357, with a .987 OPS, 9 HRs.

• snarkk said, on June 17, 2017 at 8:03 pm

Yes, zum. I stand corrected. He’s having a better than solid year, but little production because nobody’s on ahead of him…

• xoot said, on June 17, 2017 at 8:58 pm

Htf does Posey approach 1.000 ops in the middle of this shit? No real danger from the rest of the lu so he’s seeing better pitches? But I think he’s wearing down. WBC sucks.

33. PaulinAsia Banh Bao said, on June 17, 2017 at 8:17 pm

Dirt, per your earlier Pence comment, you’re right, he did indeed have some stretches, mostly in 2014, when he carried the offense, I was a bit harsh with my original comment. And I fully agreed at the time with the 5-year contract they gave him, even figuring the last couple years might be on the downgrade. But he does seem done now, and yes, it happens. With the rest of the OF in the shits, it’s just magnified. I remember when the Phils picked up Pence from Houston back in 2011. I asked my Dad what he thought of Pence, and he said “I don’t know, he just seems really weird.” Yeah, a bit strange, but mostly positive.