East Coast Trip

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 30, 2017

As usual, there are going to be bullshit thunderstorms back east to threaten The Donger’s encore. Hopefully we squeeze this game in.

So I now have 2 reasons to keep watching games this season:

1. to root for them to avoid 100 losses
  2. to see what The Donger will do next

Feel free to list off reasons you still watch (or if you don’t, why you stopped) in the comments below.

1. snarkk said, on June 30, 2017 at 7:31 am

I’ll still pay attention because I love baseball, I love its daily rhythm and rhyme that’s been part of my life for as long as I can remember. That love is more important and independent of how the Giants perform in any one game, one week, or one season…

• Flavor said, on June 30, 2017 at 7:51 am

agreed. There is a *pace* to baseball that perfectly matches summer. Without it summer would be worse, regardless of how the team is doing.

• chipower9 said, on June 30, 2017 at 9:48 am

Nailed it, snarkk. Same reason I will always watch/listen to baseball. I actually prefer the radio to the boob tube most of the time.

2. djloo27 said, on June 30, 2017 at 8:08 am

3. unca_chuck said, on June 30, 2017 at 8:14 am

It isn’t as imperative as it could be, or is when they are contending, but I’ll watch. As twinner always used to say, you’ll see something different in any given game.

4. willedav said, on June 30, 2017 at 8:25 am

Start of the week was lot of fun, esp pitching coming around. Giants hitters tend to be streaky bunch. Span got off to terrible start and then hit .350 last month and Panik did well too. Posey leading the league in BA still at .350. Like to see if a few others heat up and show they belong.

5. chipower9 said, on June 30, 2017 at 9:54 am

I will keep watching for the same reason snarkk mentioned, because it is baseball, and is an integral fabric to my life. I sure as fuck cannot seem to get the Circadian rhythm of my sleep dialed-in, so I will go with the beautiful rhythm of baseball…

Also to root for them NOT to lose 100 games.

And to see what all the kids can do (the ones already called-up and the ones who will get the call-up once rosters expand).

I also want to see how Bum looks coming back off his injuries.

6. alleykat69 said, on June 30, 2017 at 10:14 am

Just having Donger around peaks my interest.
    Dude’s already has a cult following..

7. unca_chuck said, on June 30, 2017 at 10:39 am

Bunnies pitching tonight in Sacto, Chuck.

8. unca_chuck said, on June 30, 2017 at 10:41 am

You’d think my phone would stop auto correcting Bummie.

• wilcojoe said, on June 30, 2017 at 11:11 am

Yeah I think Bum is facing the Astros AAA club. You should check out which prospects we want for Cueto.

9. djloo27 said, on June 30, 2017 at 1:41 pm

1. Denard Span (L) CF
    2. Joe Panik (L) 2B
    3. Hunter Pence (R) RF
    4. Buster Posey (R) C
    5. Brandon Belt (L) 1B
    6. Brandon Crawford (L) SS
    7. Jae-Gyun Hwang (R) 3B
    8. Austin Slater (R) LF
    9. Johnny Cueto (R) P

• snarkk said, on June 30, 2017 at 1:48 pm

It may be a reach and a hope, but this Slater kid kinda reminds me of Kenny Henderson, but a RHB version as I believe Kenny was a LHB…

• snarkk said, on June 30, 2017 at 1:49 pm

If he turned out as good as Kenny was , that would be a good thing…

• Macdog said, on June 30, 2017 at 2:47 pm

I looked it up, Henderson was a switch-hitter. I only remember this from a Sports Illustrated board game we had from the 1971 season.

10. alleykat69 said, on June 30, 2017 at 2:46 pm

Henderson was a switch hitter Snarkk, but I like the comparison. Kenny had a nice run with us, hope the same for Austin Slater Limits..

11. Macdog said, on June 30, 2017 at 4:01 pm

Gotta admit, it’s going to be tough watching the Giants play other sub-.500 teams, I really got into the Rox series just for the fun of getting the chance to stick it to a contender. The Pirates? Eh. But seeing how the call-ups play, especially Donger, is as good a reason as any to keep watching.

12. Flavor said, on June 30, 2017 at 4:11 pm

i just don’t know why you would ever throw Hunter Pence anything but a bendy ball. He can’t hit them, ever.

13. theroooster said, on June 30, 2017 at 4:30 pm

Cueto not doing his trade value much good with that 86 MPH fastball…

14. Flavor said, on June 30, 2017 at 6:05 pm

huge mistake to leave Cueto in right now (IMO)

• zumiee said, on June 30, 2017 at 6:24 pm

Bochy let him have a chance to try for the win, a pitching stat considered meaningless in sabermetrics.

15. Flavor said, on June 30, 2017 at 6:13 pm

somehow some way got thru it

16. Flavor said, on June 30, 2017 at 6:17 pm

Ryder. Jones. Sucks.

17. willedav said, on June 30, 2017 at 6:22 pm

Flem: “What a night for Denard Span.”
    “And that’s it for Gerrit Cole.”
    Yaha!

18. theroooster said, on June 30, 2017 at 6:23 pm

Gotta give Cueto credit for battling through when he doesn’t have his best stuff. After that 1st inning I thought he’d be toast , it’s almost like he wasn’t warmed up enough to start the game…

19. chipower9 said, on June 30, 2017 at 6:24 pm

Antonio Bastardo? Really? Poor kid…

20. gianthead said, on June 30, 2017 at 6:27 pm

If Spam keeps this up…is he tradable???

21. willedav said, on June 30, 2017 at 6:36 pm

Bang what a rocket from Posey 8-3 Giants.

22. willedav said, on June 30, 2017 at 6:39 pm

Belt ! pulls one all the way to the wall 2 more rbis 10-3.

23. Flavor said, on June 30, 2017 at 6:59 pm

Denard Span is now hitting .300 this year.

24. chipower9 said, on June 30, 2017 at 8:19 pm

Damn. Four in a row. 10? Why not…

• zumiee said, on June 30, 2017 at 8:21 pm

25. Macdog said, on June 30, 2017 at 8:20 pm

AokI is pitching the 9th for Astros down 10-4 to Yanks.

26. Macdog said, on June 30, 2017 at 8:28 pm

AokI gives up 3 runs, but he got Judge out.

• willedav said, on June 30, 2017 at 9:20 pm

too funny. I don’t remember him having much of an arm from LF. Got 3 outs tho? wow

• Macdog said, on June 30, 2017 at 10:00 pm

He walked first two, then gave up two very hard-hit balls to deep OF, the 2nd one caught.

27. snarkk said, on June 30, 2017 at 8:34 pm

Gyros playing like they have life, ever since that Rosenthal article came out. Maybe it was cathartic. Not to mention, they’ve brought a good crop of young guys on the squad now. If they’d DFA or DL Cain now, and bring up Beede (if he’s not hurt, bring him up), they’ll get some mojo going, and get young guys some experience. Trade Noonie, get Arroyo up for the rest of the year, trade Span while he’s apparently healthy and hitting, and make lemonade out of a lemon season…

28. djloo27 said, on June 30, 2017 at 9:15 pm

3 likeliest Giants to get dealt:

Nunie – Kontos – Gearrin

29. willedav said, on June 30, 2017 at 9:17 pm

Another laugher feelin’ good.
    All season I’ve been looking at CFs around baseball and it seems like a lot of guys either suck or are too good to be dealt. One of the Stros guys maybe for Cueto +.
    Before you dump Span, who is finally playing right now at least like what they imagined, someone has to be able to hold down that spot defensively. Or he stays and plays LF like they did with Pagan. I’d sooner pawn Pence off on some contender needing a spark for stretch drive with Giants covering some $$$.

Like I said a thread ago, how many other Giants OFs are gonna hit .300?

• snarkk said, on June 30, 2017 at 9:23 pm

The season is lost, Span is hitting, yes. Maybe he’s finally healthy. For another week or two, perhaps? The guy is a defensive liability, this team needs a youth movement in a major way. Yeah, I’d trade Pence and eat some of his salary; and trade Span, too. There’s no reason to keep playing these guys…

• djloo27 said, on June 30, 2017 at 10:11 pm

Wish they could unload both of ’em, Snarkk, but as of today they have about $45 million combined of guaranteed money left on their deals. Just don’t see it unless some major contender gets real desperate because of an injury…

30. snarkk said, on June 30, 2017 at 9:35 pm

Hey, Belt’s got 16 jacks now. I think I gave him a 26 prediction for the season, which I believe was the highest among the Flappers. Maybe he’s going to get there…

• djloo27 said, on June 30, 2017 at 10:02 pm

Is he gonna get to .250?

• willedav said, on July 1, 2017 at 6:36 am

sure hope so. I can’t stand guys who K a lot and otherwise have high HR total/low BA. Last night with 2 guys on all they needed was a base hit and he doubled and drove in 2. Good to see him pull ball.