All Star Game

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on July 11, 2017

So, all star game tonight? Do anything for ya? I can proudly say I didn’t watch a single swing of the HR Derby. Until they do something about those juiced balls it’s just a joke.

The all star game does literally nothing for me. It’s so funny to look at other teams twitter accounts. Leading up to the end of the all star vote, teams dedicate nearly their entire twitter page to pushing fans to vote for as many of their teams players as possible. That’s actually completely irresponsible. And it’s just more propaganda pushed by the man.

You know what the HR Derby and the all star game are for? They’re for loser fan bases who don’t ever win anything and in the tiniest way they can cobble together some “knowing dude head nod” energy if one of their players get voted into the game.

I’ll take the 3 in the bank we got in 2010, 2012 and 2014 and be happy with that. Loser fan bases that haven’t won anything in 3 decades can fiddle around with the HR Derby and the all star game…….

1. xoot said, on July 11, 2017 at 1:53 pm

before interleague, the AS game was a chance to see AL players. Somewhat interesting. When Bochy managed the AS games, I found myself slightly interested. Tonight, not really. By the time I get home from the gym the game will be in the late innings. Maybe I’ll take a look. Maybe not. If Posey does anything early I’m sure I’ll see replays. The voting system has always been a joke. During the late oughts, I used the write-in feature to vote repeatedly for Zito. I figured mlb would produce an official tally for the players and that Zito would understand.

2. chipower9 said, on July 11, 2017 at 2:14 pm

All Star Game? MEH. I have practice with my dog tonight, and if the game is still on when I get home, I may take a look, but overall, the AS game has done nothing for me for many years. I did see parts of the HR derby while waiting for a pizza pick-up order, and had it on when I got home, but it was basically background noise.

3. Flavor said, on July 11, 2017 at 2:17 pm

it’s an excuse for me to get a pizza from Amichis

4. unca_chuck said, on July 11, 2017 at 3:02 pm

The only thing I noticed about the 12 seconds of the HR derby I watched is that the announcers were much worse that fucking Berman ever was. And that’s a high goddamn bar to clear.

5. sfsarge said, on July 11, 2017 at 3:45 pm

All star game, meh. Sure did used to love seeing our guys get selected, but after the triplets who cares?

Missed the HR derby, oh well. Heard all about it this morning with those numbnuts on knbr.

I literally LOL’d at propaganda being pushed by the man.
    The only real interest in the season left for me is seeing what we have in these kids over a significant amount of playing time. But, honestly I haven’t been watching too closely, this team is putrid.

6. wilcojoe said, on July 11, 2017 at 4:00 pm

I watched the derby with my eight year old and he loved it. It was actually pretty damn exciting. Moving to a timed format was a brilliant move. Aaron Judge is an absolute stud.

• zumiee said, on July 11, 2017 at 4:09 pm

And maybe that’s the biggest reason to have it: to get kids watching baseball, which is a good idea.

• sfsarge said, on July 11, 2017 at 4:25 pm

Which reminds me of part of what got me into baseball in the first place. It surely wasn’t a 2-1 game on a Wednesday in August.

• wilcojoe said, on July 11, 2017 at 4:38 pm

Hey Zum, isn’t Judge from your neck of the woods? Linden, CA?

• zumiee said, on July 11, 2017 at 5:45 pm

Yeah, geographically within the same ballpark, no pun intended. 🙂

7. Flavor said, on July 11, 2017 at 4:53 pm

Hey, all those Dodger reps at the ASG tonight are legit. We’ll see if they can finally stop choking in the post season. Until they prove they can avoid that unfortunate pitfall, they remain chokers.

• djloo27 said, on July 11, 2017 at 6:48 pm

The Chokers are 27 games ahead of us…

8. Flavor said, on July 11, 2017 at 5:14 pm

good time to point out that the Dodgers traded the great Pedro Martinez for Delino Deshields

• theroooster said, on July 11, 2017 at 5:36 pm

I was just thinking the same thing. Worst trade ever. The *medial staff* somehow came to the conclusion that Pedro was a bit “small” or some such nonsense – something about his body makeup wasn’t going to withstand his delivery. I could never get that. Who were these quacks?

• theroooster said, on July 11, 2017 at 5:38 pm

Guy comes up through your farm, his older brother was pretty good for you, younger brother shows great promise – trade him!

• Flavor said, on July 11, 2017 at 5:45 pm

in the Dodgers defense, they got more for him that The Expos got for him when they traded him to Boston and got back…..Carl Pavano

9. theroooster said, on July 11, 2017 at 5:54 pm

That was a nice DP

• Flavor said, on July 11, 2017 at 5:57 pm

Jose Altuve is such a stud. And he seems like a very cool dude, too.

10. unca_chuck said, on July 11, 2017 at 6:11 pm

Word on the street (John Morosi) is that Toronto sent some scouts to watch the Giants (uh oh) as we are ‘interested’ in Josh Donaldson.

• snarkk said, on July 11, 2017 at 7:10 pm

Can the Giants get “interested” in a damn outfielder?…

11. unca_chuck said, on July 11, 2017 at 6:22 pm

In game interviews with players on the field? Too bad we can’t see Harper face Strichnyne with mics on.

• Flavor said, on July 11, 2017 at 6:26 pm

i wish a hitter would blast a line drive down the line and watch him bumble his way over there to try to catch it.

12. unca_chuck said, on July 11, 2017 at 6:32 pm

Mookie!

13. djloo27 said, on July 11, 2017 at 6:40 pm

So if best record decides home field for the WS what’s the tiebreaker?

14. Flavor said, on July 11, 2017 at 6:53 pm

this is a very comprehensive interview with Sabean. I was surprised to read that he really has taken a backseat to Evans who is the GM. I kinda felt like they had been tag teaming it but I guess not.

• Lurker John said, on July 11, 2017 at 7:13 pm

It seems to me they should go back to the old way.

• snarkk said, on July 11, 2017 at 7:47 pm

When the wheels come off, direct attention to the most recent head mechanic, even if you approved his work…

• blade3colorado said, on July 11, 2017 at 9:27 pm

Good read. Thanks for sharing.

15. Lurker John said, on July 11, 2017 at 7:04 pm

Jesus H. Christ, first you have a guy giving an interview while he’s playing right field during the game, now you have another taking a selfie DURING THE GAME. What is this shit coming to? WTF.

• blade3colorado said, on July 11, 2017 at 9:01 pm

Not watching the game LJ, but if what you said is true, I won’t EVER watch again. Pathetic.

16. snarkk said, on July 11, 2017 at 7:06 pm

Listening on car radio to Dubs summer league game and baseball AS game. Can’t decide which is more boring ass…

17. unca_chuck said, on July 11, 2017 at 7:08 pm

That’s pretty cool! Yadier!

18. Lurker John said, on July 11, 2017 at 7:13 pm

Good for Yadi. Maybe the NL can actually win one of these things.

19. Flavor said, on July 11, 2017 at 7:15 pm

that selfie thing with West was stupid.

• unca_chuck said, on July 11, 2017 at 7:17 pm

the fact that Yadier looks like a fucking transformer is pretty lame too

• wilcojoe said, on July 11, 2017 at 7:19 pm

Buck said he looked like C3P0. I thought that was pretty good.

• Flavor said, on July 11, 2017 at 7:32 pm

i bet Grienke, one of the more straight arrow/no nonsense guys out there, probably wasn’t digging having to throw to him either. Distracting.

20. Flavor said, on July 11, 2017 at 7:40 pm

Can this shit still end in a tie? Now that the game doesn’t mean anything? I am so rooting for a tie.

• theroooster said, on July 11, 2017 at 7:44 pm

Yeah, that would be fitting. Tied after 9, just end it right there. I never saw the big deal about it. It’s just a meaningless exhibition.

21. James said, on July 11, 2017 at 7:48 pm

I’d rather be watching the Giants lose.

22. willedav said, on July 11, 2017 at 7:54 pm

Josh Donaldson? Realize this weekend Nunez supposed to be activated, Mac’s back in Sac so Giants now have 4 3b (Hwang Gameface and Specs) and 3 OFs, one of whom is Gorks.
    wtf?

• unca_chuck said, on July 11, 2017 at 8:03 pm

Yeah, I guess we feel like we have 3rd basemen to trade? Sounded kinda dumb to me.

23. Flavor said, on July 11, 2017 at 8:00 pm

check this out. The Warriors just paid cash for this dude. The Bulls are so stupid.

24. Flavor said, on July 11, 2017 at 8:04 pm

25. unca_chuck said, on July 11, 2017 at 8:06 pm

I couldn’t believe we got the guy, Flav. My son was raving about his defense. He was also telling me all draft day that we were making a move to draft someone.

There are a lot of foolish teams out there. The Knicks were looking like retards when they talked of trading Porzingis. Instead they did the smart thing and got rid of Phil Jackson.

• willedav said, on July 11, 2017 at 8:10 pm

I like what I saw out of Boucher at Oregon too. He can shoot from distance, put the ball on the floor and block shots.
      Bell is one of those guys you can play with other shooters/scorers and he’ll do all the dirty work and run the floor.

• Flavor said, on July 11, 2017 at 8:11 pm

if my team sold off a fucking draft pick for cash I’d consider disowning my allegience. How the fuck does the team get better if you sell off a pick? And for what, 3 mil? That doesn’t do anything except line the owners pockets, it’s not like you can invest 3 mil back into operations and see a measurable difference

• willedav said, on July 11, 2017 at 8:13 pm

I love guys like Bell. In their high scoring heyday (Alex English Kiki Fat Lever Issel under Doug Moe) the Nuggets used to start T R Dunn, who always had to guard the other team’s top G. He was in there to move the ball, play D and rebound and it worked perfectly.

• unca_chuck said, on July 11, 2017 at 8:29 pm

Right, Craig. You get 2 picks in the NBA draft, and you have a pretty damn good chance of getting someone who can play. It ain’t like giving up a 38th round pick in the baseball draft. Or even a 5th rounder.

26. unca_chuck said, on July 11, 2017 at 8:07 pm

Fucking crabman Kimbrell. I’d accidentally wing my bat at him. What a tool.

27. Flavor said, on July 11, 2017 at 8:17 pm

28. alleykat69 said, on July 11, 2017 at 8:23 pm

Bird of prey Kimbrell along with Jansen sure can throw heat.. But hey we have Finesse boy Melancon and his ground balls that find holes!

• unca_chuck said, on July 12, 2017 at 8:06 am

Is that what he’s supposed to be? He looks like an idiot.

29. djloo27 said, on July 11, 2017 at 8:25 pm

An ugly finder! Hahahahahahahahahahhaha!!!!

• alleykat69 said, on July 11, 2017 at 8:29 pm

Least it wasn’t a kid.. But that’s inevitable as well..

30. willedav said, on July 11, 2017 at 8:28 pm

Pride of home of the SS, San Pedro de Macoris, D.R. Cano’s dad I think had brief shot at minor league ball.
    One of those puro hitters I’d pay to watch.
    Must have been fun to watch Stanton this week too, even if he’s killing your team. what a monster.

31. blade3colorado said, on July 11, 2017 at 9:10 pm

Depending on who Toronto wants, I would take Donaldson. OPS and OBP is better than anyone we have by a country mile (haven’t checked, but even Posey may not match him).

• James said, on July 11, 2017 at 10:21 pm

While looking at Toronto’s roster to see whom they might want for Donaldson, I scanned the remarkable career stats of 30 year old first time all star Justin Smoak:

Donaldson is 31, but still putting up really good numbers. Arbitration eligible for 2018. He’d be a big upgrade over anybody SF has put at 3rd this year. Package Nunez, Strickland and . . . .?

• blade3colorado said, on July 11, 2017 at 10:26 pm

Pull the trigger on that trade easily.

• James said, on July 11, 2017 at 10:26 pm

Guess a lefty BP guy would make more sense for Toronto. Osich has such great stuff and he’ll undoubtedly add another pitch next year. Who could pass that up?

• blade3colorado said, on July 11, 2017 at 10:31 pm

Smoak was a complete zero for the better part of a decade. Must have a new drug dealer this season???

32. djloo27 said, on July 12, 2017 at 5:01 am

I don’t know how the world functioned before baseballreference.com.
    I could bounce around in there for hours a time.
    The ball was so juiced in 1961 & 1970…

33. djloo27 said, on July 12, 2017 at 5:03 am

If the Giants are truly Buster’s team, Strickland’s a goner…

34. willedav said, on July 12, 2017 at 7:08 am

I’m sure Donaldson can still hit anywhere. Just seems odd that’s the position Giants address first.

Reading through the Sabes dialogue with Baggs, seems like giants troubles all came at once, out of the blue.
    Injuries to FLR, Bum, Mac/Parker and lesser degree Melancon plus the kids Arroyo and now Slater are not his fault. But not having any decent prospects to trade since Panik 3 yrs ago certainly is.

But inability to draft scout and develop pitching or OFs goes back to 2010. No decent SPs developed since Cain and Lincecum led to Hudson Peavy yada yada and expensive FAs. Heston? Stratton? Crick?
    Same with the OF going back long time as we all know. Gary Brown? what a total disaster. Now Pagan Pence Span ageing out of quality play, and Giants are left with Gorks.