What It Would Take to Get Him

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on July 12, 2017

“Hi, Toronto? This is Bobby Evans, I’d like to make an offer for Donaldson….no, no, no, I AM the GM, you can talk to me. How about Nunie, Gillaspie, Williamson, Parker, Strickland and The Donger….who’s The Donger? Big time South Korean secret weapon. He need food. So do we have a deal or not? ……Hello? …..Toronto?”

I woke up wondering what it would take to realistically get Donaldson and I was having trouble coming up with the right mix of players. Looking at the current roster, Strickland is the most likely reliever to get moved. His numbers this year are very good and Buster thinks he’s a douchbag. He could easily go. Nunie, too. And then Cueto. Obviously Nunie needs to prove he’s healthy and he’s really just about run out of time to do that. And Cueto is probably not going to get his hand right till he can rest it in the off season so I’m really worrying about his value at this point. He says he wants to stay but that’s probably just some shit he’s saying. Would it really be a bad thing if he got rid of the blisters and came back next year as “The 2016 JC?” I’d take that.

But back to what it would take to get Josh Donaldson. He’s arb-eligible next year and a free agent in 2019 so I don’t think it would take 2 of your best prospects to get him.

They don’t need a first baseman since Smoak has blossomed into an all star. Otherwise, I’d offer them Belt and Strickland for Donaldson. So my offer for Donaldson would be Strickland, Nunie and Arroyo.

And if they didn’t take that I really wouldn’t have a counter in place……

1. willedav said, on July 12, 2017 at 7:52 am

wonder what it would take to keep him around for a couple years.

Does the whole Strick/Posey lack of back up still bother people? I read somewhere how bad Giants record is since that day. Did this expose clubhouse rift/dishearten everyone? Morse and Smardz were in the middle (unlike Posey) apparently for entirely different reasons. Seems lot of stuff got hushed up tho certainly not Flan.

• Flavor said, on July 12, 2017 at 8:08 am

I think it’s reasonable to think Donaldson would sign a long term deal with us if he put up good numbers the rest of this year and in 2018. He’s played here before and probably wouldn’t want to move to a 4th team so early in his career. It would be a fantastic move to acquire him some how. I think the deal I proposed is fair for both sides.

• willedav said, on July 12, 2017 at 8:13 am

sure. If this is who you want and as others mentioned he’s a big upgrade, do what you gotta do. Hopefully Cueto or someone else could bring in help to OF etc. Could also be set up for trading Belt.

• blade3colorado said, on July 12, 2017 at 8:36 am

Flavor, as I said on the previous thread, I’m down with Donaldson coming to the Giants for his arbitration year and see what’s what in his 2019 free agency season, i.e., how much coin he wants.

However, I’m definitely not excited about a long term contract as you seem to be down with. You do know he is 31 (32 on December 8), right? A long term contract for someone at 33-34 seems like a mistake to me

Anyway, it’s all hypothetical . . . I doubt the Giants actually are serious about him anyway.

• Flavor said, on July 12, 2017 at 8:55 am

i didn’t know he was 31, I thought he was in his late 20’s. All the more reason why the cost to get him shouldn’t be that high. If you are trying to get a guy who only has one more year arb left and who is already 31 is not a guy, even a former MVP, who is going to cost “big time prospects.” My deal is a very good offer, I highly doubt they get more than Arroyo, Nunie and Strickland.

2. willedav said, on July 12, 2017 at 8:10 am

Just to revisit: Giants were 22-31 (.415 ball), since then 12-25 even with the winning streak (.378)..
    Moore had all too rare quality start, 7 innings 6 hits 2 runs both earned vs. Nats in a day game no less…
    Strick beans Harper with 2 outs bases empty in 8th, both ejected Kontos gives up 2 hits and the pinch runner scores Giants lose 3-0.

• Flavor said, on July 12, 2017 at 8:14 am

.415 to .378 isn’t statistically relevant in my opinion. Bad is bad.

3. Lurker John said, on July 12, 2017 at 8:15 am

“Who’s the Donger?” LOL Good shit man.

4. unca_chuck said, on July 12, 2017 at 8:17 am

The Giants record has been horrible since the break last year. This isn’t anything brand new. We are 34 games under .500 since the break last year. This works out to 64-98. No 100 losses! Speaking of baseball-ref. . .

We were 11 games under .500 before the fight. We are 11 games under .500 after the fight. At least we are consistent.

5. Lurker John said, on July 12, 2017 at 8:28 am

Is this perceived rift between Strick and Posey because of the Harper thing or has something else happened that I missed?

6. willedav said, on July 12, 2017 at 8:36 am

Not to turn this into a math problem, but if you take the 7-1 winning streak plus the last 4 Ls out of the post fight 12-25 equation I believe Giants went 5-20 during that stretch. Was fight irrelevant in that regard (not to Morse obviously) or did it darken already dim mood I guess is what I’m asking…also if it definitely meant Strick was toast here.

• Flavor said, on July 12, 2017 at 8:45 am

I don’t think the Strick/Harper fight meant he was toast. He’s actually a pretty valuable BP piece. But he’s certainly not irreplaceable and the fight did nothing to endear himself to Posey and management—the most important people who decide his future. And I don’t think Buster is calling the shots the way LeBron does (and Frank Sinatra did for you ‘Tap fans) but if the front office doesn’t think you’re a pitcher who is a *Buster guy* it probably makes you more expendable to a trade that makes sense for the team.

7. snarkk said, on July 12, 2017 at 8:38 am

Keep Donaldson. Giants need a stud outfielder…

8. gianthead said, on July 12, 2017 at 8:39 am

Blue Jays are going to want big time young propspects…we have none and I am not giving up Beede.

Going after Stanton may make up way more sense. His salary jumps from $14 mill this year to $25 next. The Marlins are going want to bail on that contract and probably have to settle for a smaller package of prospects. I’m still not sure we have that. I would put Blach in that type of deal and maybe Arroyo, a local Miami kid. But no way I am adding Beede. Maybe a three way to send prospects from other places but this type of deal would be off-season. Would never happen before the dealdine…

9. snarkk said, on July 12, 2017 at 8:51 am

Bochy this morning says Bum up, Cain to Pen as “swing” man. No word on who is gone. Typical Giants. The guy that need to go stays due to contract. Not a commitment to win IMO…

10. Irish Kevin said, on July 12, 2017 at 8:58 am

BF maybe if you threw in Gerrin with Strickland, a deal could be done!! Don’t like either one

• Flavor said, on July 12, 2017 at 9:06 am

Gearrin has very little value. The 3 guys I listed all have trade value and packaged together would be a good offer for Donaldson.

11. chipower9 said, on July 12, 2017 at 9:24 am

I agree with snarkk’s 8:38. I would be way more interested in a stud OFer who has similar offensive numbers as Donaldson (than a trade for Donaldson). If they keep Nunie for a year and give Arroyo a chance to prove whether or not he’s the third sacker of the future, they are covered at 3rd through next year, and deal with that situation then (hopefully Arroyo takes the spot and they are set for the foreseeable future).

I will keep circling back to a potential trade with Houston, who is flush with young OF talent, and who is in desperate need of starting pitching. Cueto and Strick (and maybe another minor league piece or two) for one of their young stud OFers.

Wilco – give me a reality check on the Houston proposal. Who would be your target (Houston OFer), and what would it take to realistically make that happen?

I got home last night and the AS Lame was tied in the 9th. Fucking Junior Circuit. Fuck those DHing cocksuckers.

12. alleykat69 said, on July 12, 2017 at 10:23 am

I’d go after Pederson&Thompson their rotting on the bench in dogtown, but I doubt LA would trade with us.

13. Flavor said, on July 12, 2017 at 10:26 am

I’d welcome Wilco’s input too, but the only OF they have that we might want and who we could put together a package for would be Marisnick. They could absolutely use a 1B like Belt but I wouldn’t trade Belt for Marisnick. Very good glove, I’m not so sure about the stick. It’s better than what we have in the current OF, but I think Belt should bring more than a “Marisnick”.
    Wilco?

14. unca_chuck said, on July 12, 2017 at 10:36 am

Thompson, yes. Pederson, no. Flav, that’s been my issue all along with trading Belt. I seriously doubt we get anything resembling the + defense and decent hitting. In other words, all we do by trading him is make ourselves worse.

15. Flavor said, on July 12, 2017 at 10:43 am

this picture could be a caption for the entire decade of 70’s baseball:

• sfsarge said, on July 12, 2017 at 11:08 am

I hate that I was a few months why of my second birthday when this took place. This sounds like one of the greatest things to ever take place in a baseball stadium.

16. unca_chuck said, on July 12, 2017 at 11:34 am

Shit, sarge, I graduated high school in ’79.

This is up there with the 10 cent beer night riots at Cleveland . Not sure of the year, but that was a melee.

17. unca_chuck said, on July 12, 2017 at 11:36 am

Ahhh, 1974. If you have 7 minutes to kill . . .

18. dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 12, 2017 at 11:43 am

Thanks for linking the Sabean interview. I’m always sort of fascinated by the repetitive words that people use and his vocabulary hasn’t changed much. He’s obviously astute enough to have pulled the chute before this steamer got laid at his feet. Poor Booby, so earnest and hardworking.

While I wouldn’t mind Cueto getting trading, having him return next year wouldn’t be the worst thing. I don’t know the details of his contract but if this year is the only opt out then he’ll have increased value next year. Was there something new that came out regarding Posey and Strickland? Maybe I missed it.

I’m not down with Donaldson at all.

19. djloo27 said, on July 12, 2017 at 12:57 pm

As far as Cueto suddenly saying he wants to stay that’s just him realizing that his performance this season made him realize that no one is gonna top the $ 96 million still owed to him at the moment ($ 89 million after this season). What a fuckin’ phony…

20. alleykat69 said, on July 12, 2017 at 1:00 pm

Chuck,
    What you would take Pederson over Gorky?
    Just trying to get the team younger not dumber..

21. Flavor said, on July 12, 2017 at 1:12 pm

I don’t see Cueto saying things that make him look like a phony. Very few players (if any) who have an opt out approaching or who have a contract ending will say publicly “Yes, I am bailing. Later days.” It’s more of a PR move to tell a fan base that he wants to return. Gives him a little leverage on future negotiations, too. And it probably makes the fan base feel good.
    In short, since he’s gotta keep pitching here this year (unless he’s traded) why WOULDN’T he say he wants to return?

22. chipower9 said, on July 12, 2017 at 1:17 pm

Dirt – this year is Johnny Dreadlock’s only opt-out year, and he must opt-out within three days of end of 2017 World Serious.

23. snarkk said, on July 12, 2017 at 2:00 pm

I don’t see any baseball reasons why this team doesn’t make major changes before the deadline. Plenty of sample size that as constituted, the team trails everybody except SD in the division in overall talent. Business factors are another story, so I don’t have much hope about effective major changes…

• snarkk said, on July 12, 2017 at 2:10 pm

Unfortunately the team is in a position of little leverage in a trade deal, given its record, unless a suitor has a need that absolutely fits an SF piece; but there will be plenty of sellers with inventory available…

• chipower9 said, on July 13, 2017 at 7:10 am

Houston is that team. They are desperate for starting pitching. They also have an abundance of OFers. Sounds like a match made in heaven to me. Will Booby and Co. be able to pull the trigger on an important potential trade. I’m not holding my breath…

24. unca_chuck said, on July 12, 2017 at 2:14 pm

DJ what is Cueto supposed to say? That he hates it here, and wants to split as fast as possible? Short of Grienke stating he’d go to the highest bidder, players usually play it close to the vest and not state the obvious. He’s stated earlier in his contract that he would like to go back to the AL. Now? Well, he appears to be just putting it out there that he wants to stay for a couple reasons. The main one being he doesn’t want to look like he’s bailing on his current team. The 2nd one is what Flav sad in that he isn’t exactly killing it lately and the interest in him isn’t at an all-time high like it was when we got him. Ergo he won’t get a max deal.

I don’t hold any of this against him. He’s no dummy.

And yeah, AK, I’d take Pedersen over Gorky if it was a straight trade. If the dogs want Panik, then no. No idea what they’d want from us, but I’d rather get Thompson than Pedersen is my point.

• djloo27 said, on July 12, 2017 at 2:31 pm

OK, I see what you’re saying.
      Now what are the odds that this is next season’s opening day lineup in any order you choose:

Span
      Panik
      Belt
      Posey
      Pence
      Crawford
      Slater
      Arroyo
      Bumgarner

• Flavor said, on July 12, 2017 at 2:46 pm

better than 50/50.

• chipower9 said, on July 13, 2017 at 7:12 am

I too say better than 50/50. And I will keep putting it out there that maybe they can package Cueto and some other pieces and entice Houston to trade one of their young OF studs. That alone is the best prospect for a trade that fits the needs of both clubs, IMO.

25. unca_chuck said, on July 12, 2017 at 3:11 pm

Right, Snarkk, the NL is littered with teams out of the running. The AL not so much, but there’s a lot of sellers and far fewer buyers. The marketplace sucks, and I’d hate to see us trade Belt, say, for mid-level prospects barely worth a bag of shit.

Cueto HAS to go though. I really don’t think he stands more than a 15% chance of staying.

• Flavor said, on July 12, 2017 at 3:42 pm

he walked 6 people in his last start. If I’m a buyer I’m not paying shit for him till he shows me his blisters are gone.

26. dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 12, 2017 at 4:11 pm

If Booby somehow figured out a way to dump Span and/or Pence and did nothing else I’d give him a B- for the trade season.

27. wilcojoe said, on July 12, 2017 at 4:37 pm

The Astros really don’t need a 1b now that they have the Cuban Yuli Gurriel who is doing just fine. Cueto could probably get you Marisnick and a top prospect not named Derek Fisher or Preston Tucker. Sadly for the Giants, those are the two young OF’s you would really want over Marisnick.

• Flavor said, on July 12, 2017 at 5:27 pm

I had forgotten about Tucker but he seems to be stalling out a little bit. He had a decent shot up here and is back in the minors and the Astros seem happy with retread guys like Aoki and Reddick and even Beltran.

• wilcojoe said, on July 12, 2017 at 5:40 pm

Your thinking of his older brother Kyle. Preston is the much better prospect of the two.

• wilcojoe said, on July 12, 2017 at 5:43 pm

Reddick has been outstanding. I never realized just how good he is defensivley. He is having a nice bounce back season at the plate too. Aoki is Aoki. Beltran needs to hit the PED’s harder or just retire.

• Flavor said, on July 12, 2017 at 5:49 pm

no, I am thinking of Preston. I’ve never heard of his brother. He was up in 2015 and I played him several times in DFS. My point is that he’s now 27 and still in the minors while Aoki, Reddick and Beltran are on the team. To me it looks like Tucker (Preston) is stalling out a bit. By 27, if you’re a star, you shouldn’t still be in the minors.

• wilcojoe said, on July 12, 2017 at 5:56 pm

Your right. Kyle is the younger brother. I get them confused.

• wilcojoe said, on July 12, 2017 at 5:59 pm

BA just moved him up to the #11 spot in their top 100.

• Flavor said, on July 12, 2017 at 6:06 pm

that’s fine though i didn’t know that either. My point stands, he’s 27 and still in the minors and the other OF’s in Houston (not named Springer) are not exactly stars. I’m not saying he’s not going to be back, that’s why I said “stalling out a bit.” 27 is no longer young. Has he been injured? I don’t follow him regularly obviously.

• Flavor said, on July 12, 2017 at 6:10 pm

oh you’re talking about Kyle. Got it. Lol, we have gotten these two mixed up a lot just in this mini exchange.

• chipower9 said, on July 13, 2017 at 7:16 am

Fisher is the guy I like. Cueto and one of our top pitching prospects not named Beede, and whatever else it takes to get Fisher. Seriously, Houston is the best bet for a trade partner, IMO.

28. wilcojoe said, on July 12, 2017 at 4:43 pm

I don’t know if any of the contenders trust Strickland in a big, pressure moment to be that guy. That being said, he does have a ring and that carries some weight.

29. gianthead said, on July 12, 2017 at 5:43 pm

Nunie is a free agent, Strickland is completely worthless in trade value, so you think they Jays essentially would trade Donaldson for Arroyo…never in a million years…

• Flavor said, on July 12, 2017 at 5:52 pm

Strickland is not worthless, what are you talking about? He’s a very solid late inning reliever. Nunie plays third and probably bails but it gets the Jays through this year. Toronto is done this year, there’s really no reason to hold on to Donaldson and Strick would fit in nicely in their BP. And if they value Arroyo as a good prospect as most everyone does, those 3 guys would get that deal done.
      By himself Strick wouldn’t bring anything big like Donaldson but if you think multiple players would be needed to land him he could easily be one of them.

• James said, on July 12, 2017 at 5:58 pm

I like the Arroyo supplement to the package.

• chipower9 said, on July 13, 2017 at 7:18 am

Not saying a package as described by Flav would not have potential to fly, but I think that would be a bad deal for the Giants. Donaldson is too old, IMO. I don’t like a deal for Donaldson at all.

• blade3colorado said, on July 12, 2017 at 6:14 pm

BS . . . Check out Strickland’s stats. Despite the Harper fight and bombs, the dude is a stud. 149 SO in as many innings; 1.08 WHIP, and 2.51 ERA. Worthless???? Hilarious GH.

• Flavor said, on July 12, 2017 at 6:16 pm

plus, he’s only given up 1 bomb this year.

30. James said, on July 12, 2017 at 5:57 pm

Dirt, why are you down on/not down with Donaldson? Snarkk, which OFer is out there on the market who’s likely to put up an 870 or better OPS ala Donaldson?

• Flavor said, on July 12, 2017 at 6:08 pm

Donaldson would be a fantastic acquisition, he would add a second all star bat to our shit line up which we desperately need. I don’t really care where that 2nd bat comes from, 3rd, SS, OF, wherever.

• James said, on July 12, 2017 at 6:16 pm

Yep.

• snarkk said, on July 12, 2017 at 6:40 pm

I like the Donaldson bat, I don’t like where he plays to get it, nor his age and recent injury history. I want a real OF prospect, not yet another IFer. SF outfield is worst in the majors, it puts offensive and defensive stress on the team…

• James said, on July 12, 2017 at 6:58 pm

Ok, I get the prospect and lousy OF D angles. However, it seems like real prospects — not the later round pick that someone has a hunch about based on early performance and who later beats the odds — will cost a Craw, Posey, Panik or Bum. I’m good with that if it is part of a well thought out rebuild strategy.

• chipower9 said, on July 13, 2017 at 7:20 am

I agree with snarkk’s 6:40. And agree James, the OF prospect needs to be a damned-near lock, and would need to be a part of a well thought-out rebuild. Not sure if Evans has that in him…

31. gianthead said, on July 12, 2017 at 6:11 pm

It does not even seem like there is much trade chatter…

• Flavor said, on July 12, 2017 at 6:12 pm

deadline isn’t till July 31, the chatter will ramp up as that date nears.

32. xoot said, on July 12, 2017 at 6:13 pm

Donaldson probably won’t return to his MVP level, but he’s a tough brilliantly talented player. Fun to watch. Billy Beane has made many stupid roster-destroying moves in the past few years, but booting Donaldson (apparently in retaliation for a mildly impudent tweet) was probably the most stupid–much worse than the Cespedes trade. Add Donaldson at 3B and a real CF and the Giants would improve a lot. Now, as to the pen . . . .

33. blade3colorado said, on July 12, 2017 at 6:17 pm

Mind boggling what GH said about Strickland. As Flav and I pointed out, the dude is not worthless.

• Flavor said, on July 12, 2017 at 6:21 pm

he must just be thinking about fantasy purposes or maybe he just doesn’t think late inning relievers are valued. Strick has value, especially if packaged in a deal.

34. snarkk said, on July 12, 2017 at 6:45 pm

I heard that the real story on the Strick vs. Harper contretemps was Strick told Posey that he’d throw at Harper, and for Buster to butt out of any consequences. To me that was a total diss of Bochy’s authority, so I would not be surprised to see Strick get moved by the deadline…

35. djloo27 said, on July 12, 2017 at 7:11 pm

I think it’s about time Panik develops into a middle of the order hitter. He’s not some scrappy little second baseman. He’s 6’1”/190. How about a little power already?

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 12, 2017 at 7:18 pm

I think it’s just not his game. Panik never hit for power in the minors and has generally outperformed his lower level numbers in the majors.

• chipower9 said, on July 13, 2017 at 7:23 am

Panik is never going to be a power bat. His stats average out to 10 HRs and 62 RBIs a year. With his glove, I would be happy with those numbers over the long haul.

36. dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 12, 2017 at 7:12 pm

James, no doubt that he would make the team better in the short term and his power appears to play to AT&T but my main issue with Donaldson is his age and with an outfield that is falling apart at all three positions, he’s a mismatched need defensively. Another year of arbitration and sticking it to Bean and the A’s add to the appeal of acquiring him I suppose.

• James said, on July 12, 2017 at 7:51 pm

Objective, Goals, Strategy, Tactics — it all depends.

37. zumiee said, on July 12, 2017 at 7:35 pm

I don’t mind losing Strickland. Throw in Kontos, too. And Gearrin, too.
    Rebuild this absolutely sucky bullpen. I think the bullpen the last two seasons is the biggest culprit in sucking the life out of this team.

• James said, on July 12, 2017 at 7:48 pm

Unfortunately, the data do not support this view. Please do not disparage the use of empirical data. Our society can’t afford it. 😉

38. zumiee said, on July 12, 2017 at 7:37 pm

Am I hallucinating or did I just see Jean Machi pitch in the AAA All-Star game?

• Flavor said, on July 12, 2017 at 8:20 pm

maybe you were hallucinating that you were watching an AAA All Star game?

• zumiee said, on July 12, 2017 at 8:45 pm

It turns out to be real!
        “Rosters for the 2017 Triple-A All-Star Game were officially released on Wednesday and representing your Tacoma Rainiers/Seattle Mariners organization this year will be RHP Jean Machi and 1B Daniel Vogelbach”

• James said, on July 12, 2017 at 8:48 pm

Whatever happened to this guy:

If SF had 5 starters this good, they’d have a few more wins.

• James said, on July 12, 2017 at 8:58 pm

And if we’d paired him with this guy, would probably have a couple more Ws!

• zumiee said, on July 12, 2017 at 9:05 pm

I never understood giving up on this guy.

• chipower9 said, on July 13, 2017 at 7:55 am

I thought it was a bad move to get rid of Petit from the get-go. I would much rather have him that Gearrin, or a few of the others in this year’s BP.

39. Flavor said, on July 12, 2017 at 8:56 pm

• James said, on July 12, 2017 at 9:12 pm

I hope that like Grant Brisbee, Super 70s is making some $$$ off of this stuff. It seems like the material is endless.

While anthropology hasn’t provided any cover for Randall, this is not boring academic shit:

• snarkk said, on July 12, 2017 at 10:06 pm

They arrived in the village “…malarial and diffident…”
        Awesome…

• snarkk said, on July 12, 2017 at 10:08 pm

How have you guys, who have attended recent games, arrived at ATT?

Expectant, yet resigned…

Resigned, yet expectant…

Drunk, yet awake…

PO’d, yet hopeful…

_____, yet/but _________

• James said, on July 12, 2017 at 10:41 pm

Did you get to “Red pepper is stuffed down their beaks and up their anuses to give them spirit”?

• chipower9 said, on July 13, 2017 at 7:57 am

LMAO…I took in some cock fights when I was in Guam with the AF.

• zumiee said, on July 12, 2017 at 9:28 pm

As it should be. 🙂

• chipower9 said, on July 13, 2017 at 8:11 am

I have talked to folks who have visited PNC in Pittsburgh and rank it #1 ahead of the phone park, but I would guess it is damned near a toss-up. Interesting that four of the five teams in the NL West have ballparks that rank in the top 10.

40. zumiee said, on July 12, 2017 at 9:19 pm

The NBA summer league Laker/Sixers game is good. Zo Ball has had a good game.

41. snarkk said, on July 12, 2017 at 9:27 pm

Get me a freakin’ outfielder !!!!! …

• James said, on July 12, 2017 at 10:12 pm

The Giants are on pace to give up 813 runs. If SF had Ozuna, Trout, and Judge in the OF, they might be playing a little over 500.

• snarkk said, on July 12, 2017 at 10:22 pm

Get me a freakin’ outfielder !!!!…

42. zumiee said, on July 12, 2017 at 11:55 pm

To answer Snarkk’s post about fans at AT&T, I think “resigned, yet expectant” describes what I saw. They know the season is toast, yet they are expecting the Giants to rise to the occasion for that game, and give them something to cheer about. It’s still the team they love, playing the sport they love, in the ballpark they love.

• chipower9 said, on July 13, 2017 at 8:12 am

Good synopsis. For me, even during shit years like this year, I always look forward to a trek to the yard. What is not to like about baseball in that beauty of a ballpark…

43. blade3colorado said, on July 13, 2017 at 12:30 am

Giants need about a half dozen Sam Dyson bright spots and we’ll be good to go next season.

Dyson has a 2.92 ERA in 12.1 innings and is three for three in save opportunities with the Giants. He had a 10.80 ERA in 16.2 innings with the Rangers.

In short, Evans, et. al., need to sniff out more team “releases” like Dyson; a Donaldson like trade; and, DFA some of our own dead weight (I’m looking at you Matty, Gorkster, and Reverend).

44. snarkk said, on July 13, 2017 at 12:40 am

Matty is now the new “swing man” in the Pen, with Bum back this weekend.
    Now that should work out just swell.
    DFA is a four letter word when it comes to Cain…

45. djloo27 said, on July 13, 2017 at 4:10 am

Haven’t missed the Giants at all during the break…

• chipower9 said, on July 13, 2017 at 8:15 am

Sadly, neither have I Loo. For a couple of months now, I just do not have the interest that I typically have for the baseball season. Baseball is still my favorite sport, hands-down (and always will be), and the Giants will always be my favorite sports teams (Niners second), but this year has been abysmal.

46. willedav said, on July 13, 2017 at 7:15 am

Read this yesterday. There is LPGA Senior tourney going on in…French Lick, Indiana.
    fun fact: after Larry Bird left IU and Bobby Knight early in his frosh year he came back home and was working for the City cutting grass and playing pick up games in spare time..

47. chipower9 said, on July 13, 2017 at 8:17 am

Wouldn’t it be something if the return of Bumgarner set a proverbial fire under the asses of all the under-performing Giants, and the team went on a tear for the remainder of the year…

• blade3colorado said, on July 13, 2017 at 8:20 am